Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

London Trip - Photography Notes (Pics Added)

Old 01-03-2007, 03:09 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
London Trip - Photography Notes (Pics Added)

I don't have my pictures sorted or post processed yet, but wanted to jot down some of my thoughts and findings on the trip based on my experiences and the equipment I had with me.

Equipment:
30D
17-40 f/4 L
70-200 f/4 L
50 mm 1.8 II
430EX flash
2x4GB CF cards
cheap tripod
Laptop
Lowepro Computrekker AW

Since I had the 4 GB cards and laptop to download images, I snapped away like there was no tomorrow. So much so that I almost dread sifting through all of them. After a quick scan, I'd say that maybe 10% are keepers and less than 5% are worth posting/printing. Considering I took (quessing) over 1500 shots, that should be more than enough. A post of selected shots and possibly a link to more will come later.

The 17-40 was used for about 90% of the trip. I used the 50 at certain times due to lighting conditions and for certain effects. There was only one time I even considered using the 70-200, and even then I didn't bother. There were several instances where a wider lens would have been better and a few times where more zoom (than the 17-40) would have come in handy, but overall, the 17-40 did a great job.

The 430EX got a LOT of use, yet still managed to cycle and flash quickly on ONE charge of batteries. I was amazed at how long the batteries lasted (and I had two extra sets that never got used). There is still much to learn about using the flash - I don't think I had it metering correctly, but still managed to adjust the Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC) adequately by the second half of the trip.

My wife did get impatient several times while I was busy shooting, but the time she spent shopping exceeded the time she spent waiting for me. Though, a few times she was waiting the weather wasn't very pleasing, so I don't blame her.

We also had along a P&S that we used for most of our "couple" and group shots. I had her cousins try and use the 30D a few times to take our pictures, but it proved too indimidating for them most of the time. Even after adjusting the settings and instructing them how to 1. Center us in the viewfinder 2. Half press the button 3. Keep the button half-pressed, tilt/pan the camera 4. Count to three 5. Press the button all the way, very few of the shots were focused and/or framed very well. This is where the tripod came in handy. However, I only took it with us to a few places because it wasn't very portable or easy to setup/adjust.

Conclusions:
Before the next major trip - which won't be for a while - I'll be looking at other lens options. Maybe the 10-22 and maybe something with just a little more range - 17-55 EF-S IS? Also, a more user friendly tripod and camera bag, as the backpack was great for transporting all equipment, it was a real hastle taking it off to access lenses, flash, etc.

Even though I didn't use the 70-200 on this trip, we do enough "nature" trips that it will still get plenty of use for wildlife shots.

As stated above, pics should be coming soon - as will plenty of questions (i.e. requests for help) about post processing.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have a flash because I don't think I'd use it much, but maybe I'm just shortsighted. What were the situations where you found yourself using the flash a lot?
Old 01-03-2007, 03:44 PM

The flash was mostly used in portrait/landscape combo shots where there were bright backgrounds compared to the people in the foreground. I tried to meter the shot for the background and adjust the flash for the foreground - most of the time taking a few shots to dial it in properly. I also used it for some interior shots - though most places I wanted to shoot wouldn't allow any photography, due to security reasons.

That was probably my biggest disappointment with the trip - the castle interiors were amazing, as were the Crown Jewels in the Tower of London.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I guess I'm partly correct, I don't shoot people, so I won't need a flash for that.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:20 AM

Rather than start a new thread, here are some pics from the trip. Higher res versions and other pics can be found on flickr.

Statue on Brighton Beach Pier

London Eye

Black Friar's Bridge as seen from the Tower Bridge

Tower Bridge

Level 5 (Slide inside the Tate Modern Museum - a bumpy ride)

Where the Demons Dwell

Only some minor PP was done to these - mostly just curves. Still could use a little work on some. Any suggestions/comments are welcomed (and appreciated).

Also - can a mod please update the title to state there are pics now?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,233 Likes on 823 Posts
Nice, enjoy the trip?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Nice, enjoy the trip?
The trip was awesome. Driving and parking in the city sucked @$$, but the motorways were pretty cool. We were up early every day so we could avoid parking and congestion charges - only to find out that congestion charges were suspended for the whole week

We covered most things we wanted to see, but missed a couple. In addition to the places above, we saw Windsor Castle, Bath and most things in the city, other than Westminster Abbey (it had just closed when we got there), St. Someone's Cathedral on the other side of the Millenium Bridge and Trafalgar Square. We "saw" all of the places, but didn't get to walk around or go inside.

We went to Harrod's one night and parked in an underground lot in Knightsbridge - there were some amazing cars down there - Ferraris, Bentleys, RR, an Astin Martin... I have a few pics that will get posted to flickr later.

And yes, everything is freaking expensive. If your wife's company is paying most of your living expenses and you're able to save most of your salaries, you will come home rich!
Old 01-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Go Giants

As long as the US dollar still sucks.....

Sounds like a good time. I bet you paid about 60 pounds to park in that lot though...
Old 01-04-2007, 10:52 AM

Not quite that much, but over the trip I probably paid about 100 pounds in parking and another 100 pounds in diesel.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Go Giants

One day I will take some pics of some of the more interesting cars here. I live in a rich area so I see many $100k cars a day....
Old 01-04-2007, 10:59 AM

Yeah, I just realized you live pretty close to the hotel we stayed at.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Level 5" FTW! Awesome image. Was the B&W done in-camera or did you have a go at it during post porocessing? Great job regardless.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Billiam
"Level 5" FTW! Awesome image. Was the B&W done in-camera or did you have a go at it during post porocessing? Great job regardless.
Thanks. It's one of my favorites and a possible entry for the latest contest. Still have another that I'm playing with.

It was done in post processing. There wasn't much color in the original, though.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:50 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice gear, and good info on travel photography. I will be going to Europe in a few months and I was wondering what lens would be most useful. I am thinking about the Tamron 17-50 and also bring along my 50mm f1.8 for low light indoor stuff where flash is not allowed or impractical.

P.S. Does the sun ever shine over there??
Old 01-05-2007, 07:06 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
That slide pic is awesome, Moeronn. Nice work!