Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

Canon 1D Mark III

Old 03-10-2009, 01:31 AM

Received 2,787 Likes on 1,987 Posts
do you think its worth it to get a 1DmarkIIn for like 1700-1900? seen a bunch of those online lately at that price

i really want the mkIII, but i cant afford it, unless i save for alot longer.

i need a better paying job
Old 03-10-2009, 08:30 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Just to skip all of the BS about the 1D3, I would stay away from it, unless you can buy new. A 1D2n would be what I'd shoot for if I needed that type of camera.

I read that a Canon Rep made the comment about the 1D3, "what they're doing with the 1D3 AF fixes, it should be a good as a 1D2n". That's the comment posted on FM. So you have to take it for what it's may be worth.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:07 PM

New service notice for 1D and 1Ds, apparently the mirror box has the potential to leak lubricant and spray it all over the sensor/mirror.

Affected models will be fixed for free.

Some post link since iPhone doesn't have copypaste yet.

I guess it's a good thing I went with the mkIIn
Old 05-16-2009, 07:47 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Glad to see Canon up on the ball with this. I know some with a Ds, that's been saying this over a year.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:55 PM

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...=2112&id=57853

Service Notice: EOS-1D Mark III/EOS-1Ds Mark III: Oil Spots on LPF Surface

Thank you for using Canon products.

We have discovered that images taken by some EOS-1D Mark III and EOS-1Ds Mark III digital SLR cameras may exhibit ring-shaped spots. We would like to convey the details and our service policy.

We offer our most sincere apologies to customers using these products who have been inconvenienced by this issue. Going forward, we will spare no effort in our quality management to make sure our customers can use our products with confidence. We hope our efforts will earn your understanding.

Phenomenon
Images taken may exhibit large ring-shaped spots.

Cause
These ring-shaped spots are the images of oil lubricant on the surface of the low pass filter (LPF), which is located in front of the CMOS sensor.

This oil is used inside the Mirror Box to lubricate some of the camera's moving parts. If the oil is applied too liberally when the camera is manufactured, it can become scattered onto the surface of the LPF through normal camera operation.

* Image of Back Side of Main Mirror

The image above shows the top of the mirror box when the main mirror is flipped up. The white spots in the red circles are excess lubricant oil.

Affected Products  
EOS-1D Mark III and EOS-1Ds Mark III digital SLR cameras

Support
We ask that customers who are encountering this phenomenon or, who have noticed that oil is visible on the surface of the back side of the mirror, please contact our Customer Support Center. To prevent oil from scattering, which may seriously affect images, our Customer Support Center will arrange free cleaning of the mirror box to affected customers to remove the excess oil.

Oil Lubricant Used in Cameras
Measures are being implemented to control the amount of lubricant applied during manufacture in order to reduce the occurrence of oil spots. However, because this lubricant is required to ensure proper operation of the camera’s precision mechanical parts, it is impossible to eliminate all instances of oil scattering. If you require CMOS sensor cleaning, please contact our Customer Support Center.

Thank you for your patronage and support of Canon products.

This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.

Contact Information for Inquiries
Canon U.S.A., Inc. Customer Support Center
1-800-828-4040 (toll free)
Email: carecenter@cits.canon.com
Click here for support options and hours of operation.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:36 PM

if anyone cares, there is a new firmware out for the mkIIIs, only adds use of the WFT-E2 II wireless file transmitter

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eos1dm3/firmware.html
EOS-1D Mark III Firmware Update Version 1.3.0
Firmware Changes

Firmware Version 1.3.0 incorporates the following improvements.

1. Supports the WFT-E2 II wireless file transmitter that was released in December 2009.

Firmware Version 1.3.0 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.2.5. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.3.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

In addition, after the firmware is updated, if the WFT-E2 / E2A or WFT-E2 II wireless file transmitter is used with the camera, the indications that appear under [Communication mode] on the [WFT settings] menu are changed as follows:

* FTP -> FTP trans
* PTP(PC) -> EOSUtility
* HTTP -> WFTserver
* HTTP account -> WFT account

If you are setting the WFT-E2 II by using a computer, please download and use the dedicated WFT Utility application.
For details on how to download WFT Utility, please go to the software download pages.

Before downloading the firmware update, please be sure to read the entire contents of this page.
and for the 1Ds

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos...irmware-e.html