Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

Adobe Lightroom beta now available for Windows

Old 07-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adobe Lightroom beta now available for Windows

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom/

I haven't snagged it yet but the readme file supposedly says:

"feature comparable" with the Macintosh beta, with the following missing features:

* No Web module
* No Identity Plates
* No Lights Out functionality
* No automatic detection of cameras and memory cards for import
* No Music for Slideshows
* Printing color management is not optimized yet. While your images will print reasonably well, the color may be off
* High ASCII and Double Byte support is not fully enabled

The program will import Photoshop .PSD files, but only if they have been saved with "Maximum Compatibility" turned on.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks cool, but I'll probably wait until it goes gold.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,871 Likes on 5,513 Posts
ok so I have a pretty major beef w/ Lightroom. After some good seat time with it, I started to notice something. When you try to lift the shadows and dark areas, it looks OK in the Lightroom window - when you export it and view it full-size, you notice there is terrible dark noise in the lifted areas. Now, obviously this would not have to be done if the original shot was exposed correctly. But that is kind of besides the point. The whole challenge of PP is finding the correct balance with each tweak, before you start messing the picture up. This is difficult to do with Lightroom, because the preview picture is not always what you are going to get. I do not have this problem when doing PP in Paint Shop Pro.

oh and the latest version I'm using does have the "lights out" feauture ("L" key toggle). Nice, but seems more like a novelty, given the existence of the above-mentioned issue, for instance.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:25 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

To be honest I've never done a comparison like this. For the record, are you comparing 100% views both in Lightroom and in your exported image?

It's going to be interesting to see what they end up charging for Lightroom. Most of the new adjustment features seem to be present in the CS3 version of ACR so I don't think Lightroom will have anything unique going for it in that regard.

And I happen to like the lights out feature.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:02 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
ok so I have a pretty major beef w/ Lightroom. After some good seat time with it, I started to notice something. When you try to lift the shadows and dark areas, it looks OK in the Lightroom window - when you export it and view it full-size, you notice there is terrible dark noise in the lifted areas. Now, obviously this would not have to be done if the original shot was exposed correctly. But that is kind of besides the point. The whole challenge of PP is finding the correct balance with each tweak, before you start messing the picture up. This is difficult to do with Lightroom, because the preview picture is not always what you are going to get. I do not have this problem when doing PP in Paint Shop Pro.

oh and the latest version I'm using does have the "lights out" feauture ("L" key toggle). Nice, but seems more like a novelty, given the existence of the above-mentioned issue, for instance.
this is because in Lightroom (like Photoshop) you work with a "calibrated" color space. Whereas, your PC is uncalibrated.

either turn off calibration or calibrate your PC to your ideal end result (print or web, etc).
Old 12-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 134 Posts
I used it for a couple days, then it stopped using my library. It also won't re install now, quite odd. You get what you pay for with beta sometimes.

I'm kinda up shit creek right now with my "workflow" though. I went and got a rebel xti and it uses cr2 or whatever. The wonderfull free program that dan recomended so long ago, raw shooter essentials, doesn't support the format. Ofcoarse they won't support it any longer as adobe bought them.

The software that comes with the canon may work I suppose, but the resolution on my display is 1280x720 and it refuses to run. Lightroom and RSE would both tell me they didn't like the resolution, but I could still use them.

Now I've pretty much gone to doing my editing on my linux machine with Gimp and http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/ . I suppose it works, but going back to editing one file at a time is slowly killing me inside.

Anybody have another free Raw shooter essentials like alternative?
Old 12-31-2006, 01:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by soopa
this is because in Lightroom (like Photoshop) you work with a "calibrated" color space. Whereas, your PC is uncalibrated.

either turn off calibration or calibrate your PC to your ideal end result (print or web, etc).
are you serious. damn. I will check it out.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Billiam
To be honest I've never done a comparison like this. For the record, are you comparing 100% views both in Lightroom and in your exported image?

It's going to be interesting to see what they end up charging for Lightroom. Most of the new adjustment features seem to be present in the CS3 version of ACR so I don't think Lightroom will have anything unique going for it in that regard.

And I happen to like the lights out feature.
I admit, I liked the Lights out the first time I used it. I mean, I was like "cool!". lol.. although, I haven't used it like, for a reason. ;p
Old 01-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Ok.. false alarm. Lightroom ftw. I had never calibrated my monitor.. and also I found out the LCD I had been using was quite washed out. Replaced it with another one - the difference is staggering. White is so white. Anyway, thanks to AZ. These New Year's pics are something else. Sux cuz I do PP on a few different monitors - laptop, sometimes at work, and 2 monitors at home - one of which I won't be using anymore. I guess that is bad, you should only use one monitor. I am gonna try to only use this one from now on.

Last edited by srika; 01-01-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator

ok so uhh.. does anyone know when the current beta expires? I kinda peeked around at the site but couldn't find it.. at this point I am a dependent of Lightroom..
Old 01-29-2007, 06:13 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

SAN JOSE, Calif. — Jan. 29, 2007 — Adobe® Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq: ADBE) today announced that Adobe Photoshop® Lightroom™ 1.0 software is now available for pre-order and is expected to ship in mid-February 2007...

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom will ship in mid-February 2007 and is available for pre-order in the United States and Canada through the Adobe Store at www.adobe.com/store for a special introductory price of US $199. The $100 discount is offered to all customers through April 30, 2007 in appreciation of loyal Photoshop users, early supporters of Photoshop Lightroom and beta participants who devoted time, energy and feedback throughout the process. Photoshop Lightroom will later sell for an estimated street price of US $299. Recommended system requirements are Macintosh OSX 10.4.3, 1 GHz PowerPC G4 processor or Microsoft® Windows® XP SP2, Intel® Pentium 4® Processor, and 768 MB RAM and a 1024x768 resolution screen. Adobe Photoshop Lightroom is a Universal Binary application that will run natively on PowerPC and new Intel-based Macintosh systems.
Adobe also announced that Camera Raw 3.7 will ship at the same time as Lightroom and enable cross-application compatibile .xmp files between Lightroom and Photoshop CS2 Raw processing.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:30 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Thankfully, it appears that Adobe is licensing Lightroom in a similar manner as Photoshop in that one license allows you to install it on two computers. But there's now an extra added bonus...

How many computers are covered by a single license of Photoshop Lightroom 1.0?

Subject to the terms of the End User Licensing Agreement, the primary user of the computer on which Photohop Lightroom (the "Software") is installed may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable computer or a computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary computer. You may be required to contact Adobe in order to make a second copy. Photoshop Lightroom is sold as multi-platform software, which means it can be installed on either Mac OS X or Windows.
Thank you Adobe for listening to your customers!

BTW - If any mod happens to see this, could you remove "beta" from the thread title. Thx.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The Luminous Landscape now has a 4.5 hour video tutorial for Adobe Lightroom available for download: http://luminous-landscape.com/videos/LR-V1.shtml

I downloaded their latest video journal last Friday and it's quite good. It's a lot easier and cheaper than ordering their DVD's.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
nobody answered the question yet: Intro price for lightroom is $200 when it comes out Feb 19th. Full price later is $300.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:15 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
ACR 3.7, hopefully it will support the D40!
Old 01-30-2007, 08:31 PM

Camera Raw 3.7

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-8735-8803
Camera Raw 3.7 slated for release at same time as Lightroom
Sunday, January 28, 2007 | by Rob Galbraith

Camera Raw 3.7, an update to the RAW processing plug-in for Photoshop CS2 Mac and Windows, is slated for release on February 19. The new version is to coincide with the shipping of Lightroom 1.0 on that day, and will add support for RAW files from the Nikon D40 and Pentax K10D. Plus, it will introduce cross-application compatibility between Lightroom and Photoshop CS2 RAW processing settings stored in a RAW photo's companion sidecar XMP file.

With Camera Raw 3.7 loaded into Photoshop CS2, processing settings that it shares with Photoshop Lightroom 1.0 can be adjusted in one and recognized in the other.

If the processing feature is something that Lightroom offers but Camera Raw doesn't - such as dust spotting - Camera Raw will honour the feature's setting and convert the RAW data accordingly or, optionally, remove the setting altogether. To fine-tune a Lightroom-only RAW processing setting, however, will require a return trip to Lightroom.

Camera Raw 3.7 will be a free download from the Adobe website. Adobe doesn't plan to update Camera Raw 4.0 for the Photoshop CS3 beta, as it mostly or entirely supports cross-application edit settings with Lightroom 1.0 already.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Hopefully the new ACR will have the curves control that's included with Lightroom and CS3. I found I could get images looking much more like I wanted them too with this newer version versus adding & dragging points on the curves control from CS2 and earlier. I think of the new one as "curves for people who suck at curves."

Of course even with CS3, the new curves control is found only in ACR and not in the curves adjutment layer.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Billiam
Hopefully the new ACR will have the curves control that's included with Lightroom and CS3. I found I could get images looking much more like I wanted them too with this newer version versus adding & dragging points on the curves control from CS2 and earlier. I think of the new one as "curves for people who suck at curves."

Of course even with CS3, the new curves control is found only in ACR and not in the curves adjutment layer.
we'll have to see the CS3 ACR says it's v4.0. Either way I have only played with the curves adjustment layer since I can't use ACR with with my d40 yet.