California residents - tint

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010 | 07:35 PM
Advanced

California residents - tint

Im moving to California soon and i was wondering how dark i can have my car legally? how dark is it and is it worth getting my windows tinted?

For my last car, i had a Cool Chrome style tint at 20% that was very nice but slightly more reflective. I would like to do the same for my white 07 TL-S.
Old 03-01-2010 | 07:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

No tint is allowed on the front windows. For the back 3 windows, you can have it as dark as you want.
Old 03-01-2010 | 07:41 PM
Instructor

As dark as you want. But windshield and side windows (driver's side windows) tint is illegal. Here's mine with 35% all around except windshield. Also no front plate is illegal too.

Last edited by Dan000; 03-01-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-01-2010 | 08:49 PM
Team Owner

I have many friends in law enforcement and going by their advice, I have it very dark in the rear 3 window and a much lighter tint in the front.

They generally won't mess with you if it looks like you're not blatantly ignoring the law. Or in other words with the rear very dark and the front much lighter they won't mess with you. I've had mine done for a couple years now and no problems.

Here's mine. No problems yet.

Old 03-01-2010 | 08:53 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Originally Posted by Magikmanzx
Im moving to California soon and i was wondering how dark i can have my car legally? how dark is it and is it worth getting my windows tinted?

For my last car, i had a Cool Chrome style tint at 20% that was very nice but slightly more reflective. I would like to do the same for my white 07 TL-S.
So you have tint like this?

Old 03-01-2010 | 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TLin401

straight ballin'!
Old 03-01-2010 | 10:02 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Mirror, I think they will mess with you.
If you tint the drivers and front passanger you are taking a chance. Make a decision and deal with it. Mine are 35% on doors and rear, no problems so far after five years.
I think that the first ticket is a fix-it with limited or no fine after you prove the tint is removed.

Your chance of getting stopped for tint depends on luck, where you live, how your car looks overall and, how you drive. Still, if you decide to break the law you might get busted at any time.
Old 03-01-2010 | 10:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TLin401

I had Cool Chrome tint... which is not as reflective as that... just slightly more reflective than a regular tint... very subtle, very nice.

Do you all think its even worth tinting just the 3 windows? anyone think it looks kinda silly?
Old 03-01-2010 | 10:18 PM
Area on my XM

I like my rear windows tinted. It would be nice to have the front two tinted as well, but it's not a big deal to me. Better than nuthin'...
Old 03-02-2010 | 03:58 AM
Team Owner

if the fronts are very light they usually wont pull you over for it-
but if already stopped they will ck if its film or factory,,,no vinyl film allowed in front~

mine went 5 years before wife had a chat with the locals over her speed... and I had to remove the tint,,no fine just remove the stuff,(20 minute DIY)
maybe it was 10 bucks for the sign off by police
I miss my tints!!!!

front plate is same way, ~usually~ wont pull you over for just that (except campus cops with nothing to do)) but can ticket you for it

Mostly they want to know it wasnt stolen off your car and being used in a crime somewhere...
Some keep the plate in the seat pocket and explain they removed it to have the car detailed and those goobers bent the bracket- so you had to order one!
Old 03-02-2010 | 12:48 PM
Advanced

It's a pain........currently in santa monica, its a 35.00 fix it ticket,plus 10.00 for parking at courthouse. Then another 100.00 to put tint back on!!!!! In 4 years, been pulled over 2 times.......i guess its worth it.......
Old 03-16-2010 | 03:25 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Got pulled over yesterday in Sherman Oaks for tint and front plate being on dash.

Showed the cop my doctor's note and he only wrote me up for the front plate.

I have 5% front and rear and my car is very noticeable. Been pulled over for tint only 2-3 times in the past 2 years. Never once have I gotten a ticket.
Old 04-06-2010 | 07:45 PM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
if the fronts are very light they usually wont pull you over for it-
but if already stopped they will ck if its film or factory,,,no vinyl film allowed in front~

mine went 5 years before wife had a chat with the locals over her speed... and I had to remove the tint,,no fine just remove the stuff,(20 minute DIY)
maybe it was 10 bucks for the sign off by police
I miss my tints!!!!

front plate is same way, ~usually~ wont pull you over for just that (except campus cops with nothing to do)) but can ticket you for it

Mostly they want to know it wasnt stolen off your car and being used in a crime somewhere...
Some keep the plate in the seat pocket and explain they removed it to have the car detailed and those goobers bent the bracket- so you had to order one!
TINT ON FRONT WINDOWS IS ALLOWED... although not very much

California Vehicle Code!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Vehicle Code
(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the installing company and the material's manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material's manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer's instructions meets the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the material's manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.

Quote:
(b) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(1) Rearview mirrors.

(2) Adjustable nontransparent sunvisors which are mounted forward of the side windows and are not attached to the glass.

(3) Signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver, signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the rear window farthest removed from the driver, or signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver.

(4) Side windows which are to the rear of the driver.

(5) Direction, destination, or termini signs upon a passenger common carrier motor vehicle or a schoolbus, if those signs do not interfere with the driver's clear view of approaching traffic.

(6) Rear window wiper motor.

(7) Rear trunk lid handle or hinges.

(8) The rear window or windows, when the motor vehicle is equipped with outside mirrors on both the left- and right-hand sides of the vehicle that are so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

Quote:
Sun screening devices permitted by paragraph (10) of subdivision (b) of Section 26708 shall meet the following requirements:
(b) Devices utilizing transparent material shall be green, gray, or a neutral smoke in color and shall have a luminous transmittance of not less than 35 percent.

Here is the breakdown.
When the cops come and measure your windows with that little gun, it measures luminous transmittance.
Stock windows have a natural luminous transmittance of around 95%. Meaning 95% of the light that hits the wondow will get through.
Front side windows and windshield must have a luminous transmittance of 70% which give you, legally 20% add to, or 80% tint. You could run 75% tint, but you can get ticketed for it.

Rear side, and rear windows must have atleast 35% luminous transmittance. So with the stock 95%, gives you 40% tint, or run %35 and risk ticketing if they use the gun.

Sum it up:
Front 80%-75% Depending on what you want to risk.
Rear 35%-40% Depending on what you want to risk.

Last edited by TRIOD3SIGNS; 04-06-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-07-2010 | 11:44 PM
Racer

I have tried the Dr's note doesnt work, CHP cited then tried to get FPD and SAC PD to sign off stated no remove and to go purchase roll up blinds.
Fix it ticket will cost you $50-55 depending on what county from Kings County to Sacramento County, due to the budget crunch in Cali law enforcement seems all to happy to tag you for tint as I have gotten a half dozen or so in last six months, feel like i should invest in tint shop. I have taken them off and put them right back after ticket paid, last one just paid the fine $230 as it was cheaper than taking them off and putting back on when i took into consderation it wasted a Saturday morning.
Old 04-08-2010 | 09:36 AM
SHAWD 04TL is in

I talked to one crazy MF. & he kept getting tint tickets on his PORCHE 911 & VIPER, He had to go as extreme as carrying a copy of the Vehicle code in his ride. Ill look into it further, there is also a way to avoid a FRONT LICENSE PLATE TICKET.
Old 07-06-2010 | 12:04 AM
9th Gear

Ok, here it is from a CHP officer. Windows to the rear of the "B" pillar post may be tinted as dark as you want provided you have a right side mirror mounted on the vehicle. Windows on the driver and passenger side of the vehicle forward of the "B" pillar post may be tinted with what's called
UV clear. (see post 14). Now here's the kicker, you must have in the vehicle a copy of the receipt from the tinting company which proves that UV clear is indeed installed on the front windows. Then and only then are you in compliance with the law. It's always best to be prepared.
Old 07-08-2010 | 01:08 AM
SHAWD 04TL is in

GOOD JOB RUDY.... I gota keep you in my close circle of AZINE contacts, always good to have the law clarified from all the BS rhumors that exhist.
Old 07-08-2010 | 11:38 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by TRIOD3SIGNS
GOOD JOB RUDY.... I gota keep you in my close circle of AZINE contacts, always good to have the law clarified from all the BS rhumors that exhist.
Please, if you are in doubt just ask. I don't have all the answers but I'll do my best.
Old 08-02-2010 | 06:37 PM
Advanced

how can you avoid a FRONT LICENSE PLATE TICKET?
Old 08-02-2010 | 06:46 PM
SHAWD 04TL is in

I dont know the details, so Im not going to say it right... LOL

But it has something to do with your vehicle not coming with plate mounts or holes from the dealer. But 99% of all cars do. So if your in that 1% of vehicles (usually luxury exotics) you might be able to get away with it. SORRY kingston we dont even come close LOL

Rudy... any input on this.
Old 08-02-2010 | 09:34 PM
9th Gear

PM sent regarding front license plates. Suffice it to say that all passenger vehicles in California must display a front license plate. (with the obvious exception of motorcycles). Some manufacturer models provide an obvious place for the front plate to be attached. Others, like my 05 TSX provide a bracket that attaches under the bumper facia so the plate can be displayed. If you're stopped for a front license plate violation, there is likely nothing you can say that would keep the officer from issuing a citation. Most often however, it's just a dismissible infraction which is easily correctable. Good luck!
Old 08-02-2010 | 09:40 PM
Team Owner

Interesting. I've been lucky so far. I took my front plate off in '06 1 month after buying the car and no issues yet although that can always change. My CHP friends always remind me that my front plate has fallen off. They notice every little detail. My tags were a month expired and he noticed before I did.
Old 08-02-2010 | 09:54 PM
9th Gear

Lol. I don't doubt your CHP friends notice things like that. Ask them where their money comes from and every one of them will tell you the CHP gets paid from the motor vehicle fund. That would account for all the expired registration citations being issued.
Old 08-06-2010 | 02:27 AM
Pro

I bought my TL off of a CHP officer and he said the car is too nice to have it attached. He said only hard asses will cite you for that unless you're being a dick. I agreed and hopefully he will sign me off if I ever get caught. Wonder if that story will fly

I want to lightly tint my vehicle but it has to be the same all around. It's an all or none for me. With that said, are there any pictures of before and afters of 70-80% tint jobs?
Old 08-06-2010 | 11:19 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rudy222
Lol. I don't doubt your CHP friends notice things like that. Ask them where their money comes from and every one of them will tell you the CHP gets paid from the motor vehicle fund. That would account for all the expired registration citations being issued.
They're a bunch of great guys and they pretty much say the same thing. It's also like the chick sunglass thing. He was laughing becuase the other day he gave his first sunglass ticket for the side band being too thick. It's in the law but no one gets ticketed for it. Apparently this girl was doing 20mph over and was a bitch about it that he pulled her over so she got the sunglass thing too. I tried to get into the CHP and made it to the final interview and was a little too honest about my past which included one drug one time 6 years prior. Probably going to do it again next year.
Old 08-06-2010 | 04:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by I hate cars
They're a bunch of great guys and they pretty much say the same thing. It's also like the chick sunglass thing. He was laughing becuase the other day he gave his first sunglass ticket for the side band being too thick. It's in the law but no one gets ticketed for it. Apparently this girl was doing 20mph over and was a bitch about it that he pulled her over so she got the sunglass thing too. I tried to get into the CHP and made it to the final interview and was a little too honest about my past which included one drug one time 6 years prior. Probably going to do it again next year.
The last thing you wanna do is be a dick/bitch to a cop when pulled over. Some people just don't have 'sorry' in their vocabulary or a better tactful method to express it.

I'm surprised the one time drug thing got you because AFAIK, honesty with 6 years is nothing for a one time use. I had a buddy at work who tried to get into the Sheriff's office IT staff. He lied about smoking the gang two years ago and they later told him it was all about dishonesty and that 2 years is the cut off. I believe you have to be cleaner longer for actual cadets/officers but the same rule essentially applies. He failed the investigative interview.

I went through that same process and was honest about everything on the written. My interview was with the same investigator and he didn't even flinch. Just asked me a few questions about it and it was like nothing ever happened. I guess I expected to get drilled but apparently he felt I was honest.
Old 08-06-2010 | 06:09 PM
Soul Reaper

here's one for you all. This is a so.cal car.

Old 06-22-2011 | 02:43 AM
06 ThugLuv

15% tint on 7 windows...50% windshield w sun strip...haters cant see me.

a fix it ticket is totally worth it. my last car i got a fix it, removed it, paid it and re-tinted it. over two days.
Old 07-07-2011 | 11:02 PM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by AcuraElement
I bought my TL off of a CHP officer and he said the car is too nice to have it attached. He said only hard asses will cite you for that unless you're being a dick. I agreed and hopefully he will sign me off if I ever get caught. Wonder if that story will fly

I want to lightly tint my vehicle but it has to be the same all around. It's an all or none for me. With that said, are there any pictures of before and afters of 70-80% tint jobs?
ditto. I would like to see this too!
Old 07-08-2011 | 08:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CaliWowie
15% tint on 7 windows...50% windshield w sun strip...haters cant see me.
Old 07-20-2011 | 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AcuraElement

If your interested in that percentage, Llumar Airblue 80 or 3m Crystalline 70 or 50 are great light tints. I personally have the Llumar on my windshield. It's rated with 46% heat rejection, as high as some 20% lower quality tint.
Old 07-27-2011 | 07:54 PM
spends his lunch $ on his

i've had 35% all the way around for over a year now, no tickets yet.
welcome to the 805 btw
Old 08-03-2011 | 12:25 PM
Instructor

I'm also new to so Cal.... I have 32% all around... is that good?
Old 08-03-2011 | 12:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Any tint in the front is illegal. Not sure how strict the cops are down there but you maybe able to pass.