Old 12-07-2021, 03:19 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,011 Likes on 3,959 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2

Sell Tesla
Buy ST
Order Rivian
Sell Jeep
I'm going to place the Rivian order after the new year. Want to wait for the credit card statement to drop after the buying spree we've been on lately...

I'm not going to sell the Jeep. I had an offer to sell it for $37k (had it listed for $36500) and turned it down. After driving it a lot more I just love it too much and, if I did sell it, I'd just go buy another one regardless so selling it was kind of a waste of time/money when this one is modded exactly how I want it to be.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2

Sell Tesla
Buy ST
Order Rivian
Sell Jeep
Go buy and win the lotto
Buy them all
Sell Nothing.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:14 PM

Received 5,431 Likes on 3,717 Posts
^ Profit
Old 05-19-2022, 01:23 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,473 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by RPhilMan1
Looks like deliveries/allocations will take longer than previously thought.

I emailed five different dealers in my area a couple of months ago and none had any information. One did say they were going to open deposits for pre-orders and they eventually emailed back and said that was a go. I didn't take any action though.

Now with the configurator live, I used the contact a dealer feature for the three main dealers in my area. That pre-order dealer came back and said "we unfortunately still do not have an estimated date on the Golf R" and that was it. Another dealer replied and said "I just spoke with my manager and unfortunately the Golf R is currently unavailable even to be pre-ordered due to a lack of allocation. They're not expecting to see any arrive until at least March or April."

So this could take longer than expected.
Thanks for the anecdotes, guys.

Guess I'll have to cross my fingers that I can work something out before summer hits. My summer tires are low and of course I'd like to avoid having to buy a new set.
Looks like I might be fucked in trying to find a Golf R this year. None of the dealers I emailed back in December have contacted me back. I have been checking cars.com every so often to see what is coming in to dealers, so I know some are trickling in. I have recently been contacting dealers across the country that show they have an allocation coming in to them. I get responses that the car has been reserved and they'll let me know if that falls through, or the car has been sold. Today I got this response:

This is Shaun with Graham VW in Sioux Falls, thank you for reaching out to us about our incoming Golf R, as you may be aware the Golf R is a very rare car and in this current market with vehicle shortages, they are even harder to come by. Like all other dealers we do have a waiting list set and can put you onto this list if you would like. You would be #8 on our list and I can inform you that more likely than not we would not be able to fill your request till at least mid next year as VW has already made us aware that dealers will not be getting another round of Golf R's this year. I wish you luck in your search. Thank you.
If that's true then I'm shit out of luck. I don't really have another car I'd be interested in as much as the Golf R right now. I might have to just buy new tires and keep the ST for another year at least. Sucks. I need to email those original local dealers I contacted earlier again to see if they have any chance.

I configured a M3P for shits and giggles since it would make a lot of sense for my 17-mile round-trip commute. I also do some sales calls throughout the year but they are mostly in the Midwest, so planning with charging stations could work. And we have the CR-V for any road trips. The biggest hesitation is the higher price tag and the thought of not having a manual transmission for my DD for what is a very good chance of never again as manufacturers move away and to electric. I just don't know. It's almost a last resort.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:03 PM
Ex-OEM King

Where all did you email? You should spread your net wider if you can. I bought mine from a dealership in Buffalo NY, I'd recommend them as the transaction was super easy.

Going EV isn't as big of a deal as you think. The mid west is pretty well saturated with chargers now too. Manual transmissions aren't going anywhere on the used market. Get the EV for daily and a MT for fun.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:16 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

So far SD, NY, and MA x2. Naturally, the auto versions way out-number the manual so selection has been slim so far. Usually only about half a dozen manual versions on cars.com at a time. I'm literally willing to contact any dealer in the US, and I'll fly out to purchase it and drive it back if I have to.

It will probably take all summer for me to mull over the EV idea, and if I feel hapless I'll probably strongly consider it in the autumn time-frame.

Hell, I even thought about getting a Mustang GT while gas prices are high and they might sit on lots. I've seen some discounts already on cars.com. But the whole baby car seat throws a wrench into that idea, really. I mean, it has two back seats and I can just keep the frame in one of them and take out the carrier with the baby when I need to. But it's not really the smartest idea financially. But it would be hella fun!

Not sure I want three cars in order to have a fun manual car. We have a two car garage and I don't like the idea of parking one on the driveway. Doesn't look nice and egress from one side would be a pain. It would have to be a perfect car size-wise and maintenance-wise... like a pristine S2K. But then the R would park outside? I'm not making my wife park outside. And no, no clearance for a lift!

Last edited by RPhilMan1; 05-19-2022 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:33 PM
Ex-OEM King

So far SD, NY, and MA x2. Naturally, the auto versions way out-number the manual so selection has been slim so far. Usually only about half a dozen manual versions on cars.com at a time. I'm literally willing to contact any dealer in the US, and I'll fly out to purchase it and drive it back if I have to.

It will probably take all summer for me to mull over the EV idea, and if I feel hapless I'll probably strongly consider it in the autumn time-frame.

Hell, I even thought about getting a Mustang GT while gas prices are high and they might sit on lots. I've seen some discounts already on cars.com. But the whole baby car seat throws a wrench into that idea, really. I mean, it has two back seats and I can just keep the frame in one of them and take out the carrier with the baby when I need to. But it's not really the smartest idea financially. But it would be hella fun!

Not sure I want three cars in order to have a fun manual car. We have a two car garage and I don't like the idea of parking one on the driveway. Doesn't look nice and egress from one side would be a pain. It would have to be a perfect car size-wise and maintenance-wise... like a pristine S2K. But then the R would park outside? I'm not making my wife park outside. And no, no clearance for a lift!
I looked it up, I used Basil VW in Buffalo NY. Great people to work with and easiest transaction (other than Tesla) to get in and out quickly. Would recommend.

Keep in mind that the Golf isn't all that great for baby seats and if your wife is even moderately tall (5'6" or more) her knees will be in the dashboard, or at least they would be in a mk7.5. I definitely wouldn't be putting an infant seat in the back of a Mustang, fuck that. It would be an epic PITA.

Go drive a Model 3 and see what you think. Even a 3LR will be faster than the VW lol.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:05 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Thanks for the information. I'm going to send them an email and see what they say. Hopefully they have had better experience with corporate.

No issues with height here... I'm 5'6" and my wife is about 5'2" on a good day, lol.

Thank you.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:22 PM
Team Owner

Maybe it is a sign that the God is telling you to keep your car , at least for now.

Buying a car is already annoying to begin with, 2022 just makes it 10x more annoying and you dont even get any discount for it. Actually you most likely have to pay more

Last edited by oonowindoo; 05-19-2022 at 05:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
pttl (05-19-2022), RPhilMan1 (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 01:54 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Discount Tire has a $110 instant savings on Michelin... must be another sign to keep the car and get a new set of Pilot Sport 4S. Hmm... I need to measure my winters though, too. Really really hope they can last me another winter season.
The following users liked this post:
oonowindoo (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 02:44 PM
Team Owner

yah getting new tires is a bitch. mines r almost out and they didnt even last me 11k miles.

Just checked, $1500 for a set of PS4s with mount/balance

So i am paying $125 a month just in tires.. WTF kinda shit is that.
Old 06-14-2022, 01:51 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

My name is Kyle and I wanted to thank you for contacting Mankato Motors about your interest in the 2022 Volkswagen Golf R. The Golf R that we have coming in is already sold. If you would like us to add you to a waitlist we certainly can. It will likely be the 2023 model as we have got all of our 2022 allocation this year. Let me know if you would like to be added to that waitlist.

Thank you and best regards,

Kyle Bentzler
Sales/Leasing Consultant
Mankato Motors
Volkswagen | Nissan
2021 Fern Lake Road
@SamDoe1 Mankato south of MIN/St. Paul? I asked when the 2023s would start shipping to dealers so we'll see what his response is.
Old 06-14-2022, 02:14 PM
Ex-OEM King

@SamDoe1 Mankato south of MIN/St. Paul? I asked when the 2023s would start shipping to dealers so we'll see what his response is.
Mankato is about an hour and a half south of where I'm at, it's a smaller college town. I personally haven't heard of or dealt with that dealership though.
Old 06-14-2022, 02:21 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Okay, thanks.

We are hoping later this year but that could change. Most likely early next year as to when they will be available.
Seems like the consensus is all the allocations for 2022 are pretty much spoken for so a chance at a 2023 early next year is my best bet.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:32 PM
Ex-OEM King

Okay, thanks.

Seems like the consensus is all the allocations for 2022 are pretty much spoken for so a chance at a 2023 early next year is my best bet.
That's not really all that surprising. Even when I bought mine in 2018 they were selling pretty fast. The dealer I bought mine from had 4 or 5 Golf R's sitting on the lot when I picked mine up and they were all sold pending pickup.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:35 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,323 Likes on 4,900 Posts
Same. My dealer had three in the showroom, all sold.

Plan for Q1 2023 for a '23 model.
Old 09-02-2022, 08:34 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/volkswage...rsary_edition/

Volkswagen of America announced the highly anticipated Golf R 20th Anniversary Edition for the North American market. A world model, it celebrates 20 years of high-performance all-wheel-drive Golf vehicles, beginning with the release of the Golf R32 in Europe in 2002.

"Twenty years is a significant milestone for the R performance brand of models, and we're excited to share in a global celebration of two decades of R32 and Golf R heritage," said Hein Schafer, Senior Vice President, Product Marketing and Strategy. "Being the first official worldwide special model for the Golf R, it was important to include our North American Volkswagen performance hatch enthusiasts in this birthday party for the Golf R brand."

The VW Golf R 20th Anniversary Edition builds upon the latest generation Golf R, which utilizes Volkswagen's advanced MQB chassis and turbocharged 315-horsepower EA888 evo4 TSI® engine. Unique to the North American market, the 20th Anniversary Edition is offered with either a 6-speed manual or 7-speed DSG® dual-clutch automatic transmission.

Select changes to the Golf R's exterior make the 20th Anniversary Edition easily discernable without compromising the sophisticated appeal of the Golf R. Starting from the top, deleting the standard sunroof shaves weight from the Golf R's highest point and streamlines the hatchback's roofline. From the side, Golf R's large 19-inch Estoril wheels are finished in Gloss Black and are fitted with 235/35 summer performance tires. As in every Golf R, a torque vectoring all-wheel-drive system is paired with an advanced DCC® adaptive damping system to help ensure power makes it to the wheels that need it in any driving situation.

The 20th Anniversary Edition will be offered in Lapiz Blue Metallic, Deep Black Pearl, and Pure White, with a limited allocation of vehicles for each color. Subtle trim details further differentiate the special edition: The mirror caps are finished in Lapiz Blue on Pure White and Deep Black vehicles, while on those painted in Lapiz Blue, the mirror caps are gloss black. In all cases, the puddle lights project "20 R" onto the pavement below. Finally, the "R" logos-on the front and rear bumpers and front fenders-are finished in blue, while 20th Anniversary badges tastefully adorn the B-pillars.

The subtle but deliberate nod to performance continues to the interior, where the dash panel and front door trim feature genuine carbon fiber décor inserts for the first time in a production Volkswagen vehicle. These impart a racing personality to an already sporty cabin that is appointed with an ergonomically optimized "D" shape steering wheel and supportive high-bolster sport seats. Keen eyes will note the "R" logo finished in blue on the steering wheel clasp as well. Even away from the vehicle, owners of 20th Anniversary Golf R models will be reminded of the uniqueness of the limited-edition model by the key fob, which features an "R" logo that is finished in blue.

The 20th Anniversary Edition will go on sale in fall 2022, and will have an MSRP of $44,940 for the manual transmission model and $45,740 for the 7-speed DSG.

Old 09-02-2022, 09:04 AM

Not bad. And a couple hundred bucks more over the base model for the carbon fiber interior trim alone makes it worth it. All of the blue emblems are kind of cheesy though.

The thing that kills it for me though are all the touch sensitive "buttons".
Old 09-02-2022, 09:56 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Not bad. And a couple hundred bucks more over the base model for the carbon fiber interior trim alone makes it worth it. All of the blue emblems are kind of cheesy though.

The thing that kills it for me though are all the touch sensitive "buttons".
How are the buttons in your car...?

I think this looks pretty cool. I'll always have a fondness for a Golf R and this one looks pretty awesome. The blue badges on a blue car look stupid but I bet they'd look pretty good on a white or black one.
Old 09-02-2022, 01:08 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

A limited edition of an already limited car! They're just teasing us at this point.

Looks cool. I love carbon fiber.

I'd buy one if it was possible.
civicdrivr (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
How are the buttons in your car...?

I think this looks pretty cool. I'll always have a fondness for a Golf R and this one looks pretty awesome. The blue badges on a blue car look stupid but I bet they'd look pretty good on a white or black one.
Yeah but those blue mirror caps on the white and black cars is dumb.

Teslas' voice control is MUCH better than VWs, so it makes the lack of physical buttons a bit more bearable.
Old 09-03-2022, 10:36 AM
Ex-OEM King

VW had voice control? I never used it lol.

I also never use the Tesla one either so there's that. I did before when they didn't have quick access to the heated wheel but that has been resolved now.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:35 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts

The new Volkswagen GTI and Golf R may still feel like new cars here in the U.S., but VW is already prepping a refresh to the regular Golf over in Europe. We all know that what is applied to the Golf, we’ll see transferred over to the GTI and Golf R, making the interior spy shots of this test car mighty intriguing.

Volkswagen has heard the complaints about its newest infotainment system/center stack design a million times over from every corner of the internet at this point, and said infotainment system appears to be the big change shown in these spy photos. A new, much larger screen is perched atop the dash now, replacing the smaller screens available in today’s Golf variants. Below the screen are the touch sliders we already know of and despise on the GTI and Golf R. However, it’s unclear if VW has fixed the worst part of them in these spy photos: their lack of backlighting at night.

The volume control and temperature control touch sliders on today’s GTI and Golf R sit on a piano black panel, and against all common sense, they don’t light up at night. That makes it impossible to find the two most vital controls in a car’s user interface when driving at night, which is such a bizarre miss from Volkswagen. Since these spy photos are taken of a car during the day that is turned off, we don’t know if these touch sliders feature backlighting now or not, but we sure hope they do.

As for the rest of the interior, it’s business as usual. The same quick-access touch control buttons appear to lie under the larger touchscreen, and the beard trimmer shifter is unchanged.
VW Golf refresh spied with new infotainment screen uncovered | Autoblog
Old 09-29-2022, 10:01 AM

DO I SEE BUTTONS?!?!
Old 09-29-2022, 12:33 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

That screen seems way too large for the dash. But it would be great if they fix the button or backlighting issue.
Old 09-29-2022, 12:55 PM

Yeah the screen seems massive. I wonder if buttons on the steering wheel will trickle up to the GTI/R. Those capacitive buttons on the wheel annoy me the most. I can deal with the others.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:48 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/volkswage...rs_uk-version/

Volkswagen is an acknowledged leader in the field of high-performance family cars. Creator of one of the first 'hot hatches' in the shape of the original Golf GTI more than 40 years ago, now the pinnacle of Volkswagen performance comes in the form of its R-branded models. The first Volkswagen to bear the revered R badge was, of course, a Golf and now the brand is marking two decades since that first potent machine made its debut with the arrival of nothing less than the most powerful and fastest production Golf yet created: the Golf R '20 Years'. Recognising the landmark anniversary, the Golf R '20 Years' is a tribute to, and celebration of, the sheer enthusiasm for practical yet compelling performance that has been the hallmark of each and every R-badged model.

To deliver on its promise of creating a car capable of serving up 'the extraordinary, every day' the Volkswagen R team needed to dig deep into its track-developed technologies for the VW Golf R '20 Years'. In doing so the team has fashioned not only a hot hatch worthy of the 20th anniversary occasion, but also a car that represents the zenith of current Volkswagen series production performance.

The statistics speak for themselves: power in the Golf R '20 Years' is upped once more, exceeding even that of the current Golf R's already breath-taking 320 PS, to stand at 333 PS. The 2.0 16-valve turbocharged EA888 powerplant, here in new evo4 guise, generates 420 Nm of torque channelled through a seven-speed DSG transmission and metered by R-Performance Torque Vectoring - a development used in conjunction with Volkswagen's highly regarded 4MOTION all-wheel drive - to bespoke 235/35 R19 Bridgestone tyres. This arrangement catapults the Golf R 20 Years to 62 mph in only 4.6 seconds and, in the UK, the derestricted top speed of 168 mph promises exhilarating track day excitement. This is the fastest accelerating, most potent production Volkswagen yet offered.

A global performance car phenomenon, the R brand has sold in excess of 300,000 models worldwide in the '20 years' since that first Golf R debuted. Moreover, the UK remains a key market for the R badged suite of Volkswagen models. No surprise, then, that there is significant interest in the Golf R '20 Years' among knowledgeable and enthusiastic buyers nationwide. This sixth iteration of the Golf R in the model's 20-year history not only celebrates an important anniversary, but represents a time-limited opportunity for enthusiasts and collectors to snap up what may well be viewed in years to come as a true icon of the internal combustion era. Production of the Golf R '20 Years' at Volkswagen's Wolfsburg HQ in Germany will cease in mid-2023.

As with every production Golf the new, limited production run, model exhibits the practicality, safety features and state-of-the-art technologies that make every example of Volkswagen's biggest-selling car such a popular choice. Despite it's heroic performance potential the car remains a practical proposition. This five-door, five-seat family hatchback can accommodate up to five adults in considerable comfort measuring as it does 4,290 mm long; 1,451 mm tall and 1,789 mm wide. The wheelbase is a sizable 2,628 mm, the boot measures 341 litres with all seats in place and, when the asymmetrically split rear seat backrest is folded down simply and easily, that load capacity increases to a maximum of 1,197 litres.

At launch in the late autumn of 2022, the Volkswagen Golf R '20 Years' arrives in one five-door hatchback bodystyle and with a single 2.0-litre turbocharged engine and 7-speed DSG transmission combination. With fuel economy of 35.8 mpg and CO2 emissions of 175 g/km (combined), the Golf R '20 Years' is mindful, too, of its environmental impact.

​​​​​​​
Old 06-01-2023, 09:47 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/volkswage...mited_edition/

Curtain up for the VW Golf R 333 Limited Edition. The new special-edition model limited to 333 vehicles is based on the Golf R Performance and packs a real punch with an output of 333 PS (245 kW). The necessary driving stability and traction of the all-wheel-drive special-edition model are ensured by a host of high-quality equipment features such as R-Performance Torque Vectoring including Vehicle Dynamics Manager. The Golf R 333 comes from the factory with eye-catching Lime Yellow Metallic paintwork. Black accents additionally underline the appearance of the special-edition model, which is being launched as a potential collector's item.

"The Golf R 333 is the first R model with a specification predefined by us that leaves no customer wishes regarding performance unfulfilled - thanks to its extensive equipment," says Hakim Halimi, Head of Product Marketing at Volkswagen R. The features include R-Performance Torque Vectoring with Vehicle Dynamics Manager, which distributes the drive power not just between the front and rear axles but also between the two rear wheels. This offers a special dimension of sportiness, particularly when cornering. The Drift and Special driving profiles, designed for the Nürburgring racetrack, also offer additional driving pleasure away from public roads. The R Performance exhaust system from Akrapovi with titanium rear silencers and black 19-inch Estoril wheel rims with semi-slick tyres additionally highlight the motorsports character of the special-edition model. The top speed has also been increased to 270 km/h.

The basic idea for limitation of the edition was provided by the engine power of 245 kW (333 PS). This is the most powerful output rating of the Golf with a torque of 420 newton metres. In addition, the optimised engine tuning means that the load change response is extremely spontaneous. The turbocharger is preloaded to keep it at a constant speed during partial-load driving. This then allows faster power development for subsequent acceleration. The open throttle valve in overrun phases also improves dynamics and performance on the road. When the driver takes their foot off the accelerator and then accelerates again, this allows faster build-up of the engine torque and noticeably improves the engine's responsiveness. With an acceleration of 0 to 100 km/h in 4.6 seconds, the Volkswagen Golf R 333 Limited Edition delivers the best-in-class value (compared with key competitors).

The paintwork in Lime Yellow Metallic extends the colour range for the Golf R, which comprises Pure White, Lapiz Blue Metallic and Deep Black Pearl Effect. "With the special exterior colour, black-painted roof and design decals with 333 logo on the sides, this Golf R will be offered in a combination that is unique up to now," says Halimi. "It is the first Volkswagen R model with a strict limitation to 333 units and with a sequentially numbered badge in the interior."

The standard equipment also includes premium sport seats in Nappa leather (with integrated head restraint) and the powerful IQ.LIGHT LED matrix headlights (including Light and Vision package). State-of-the-art driver assist systems are contained in the IQ.DRIVE package. These include Travel Assist, the Lane Assist lane keeping system, Emergency Assist, and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with stop & go function. The Volkswagen Golf R 333 Limited Edition also comes with a centre airbag (front) and a rear view camera system. A system from Harman Kardon with 8+1 loudspeakers and 480 W total output supplies perfect sound in the interior.

The Golf R has cult status. Since 2002, more than 250,000 orders have been placed for the bestseller from Volkswagen R. "The Golf R 333 Limited Edition is extremely important for our brand," says Peter Jost, Head of Marketing & Sales, Volkswagen R. "It is precisely such limited and high-performance vehicles that turbocharge the Volkswagen R brand - a genuine eye-catcher and extremely attractive. Every customer can be sure that they have an extremely rare vehicle and a potential collector's item in their garage."

With prices starting at 76,410 euros, the special-edition model can be ordered at German dealerships from 2 June 2023. Production of all 333 vehicles in Wolfsburg is scheduled for September so that the first models can be handed over to customers from October 2023. In addition, a customer event in the Autostadt is planned for all buyers of the VW Golf R 333 Limited Edition who pick up their vehicle in Wolfsburg (Germany).

Old 06-01-2023, 10:21 AM

I miss my R. I wouldn't get one in lime green though

The Akrapovic exhaust though
Old 06-05-2023, 12:04 PM

333 people liked it enough to scoop them all up in about 8 minutes. Expect some to get flipped.
At $80k, though, I'm out.

https://www.motor1.com/news/670478/v...-333-sold-out/

Volkswagen took us by surprise last week when it unveiled the Golf R 333 in Germany with an astronomical price tag of €76,410. The asking price was a bit of a shocker when you take into consideration the 20 Years Edition – essentially the same car launched in 2022 – was available for €59,995. Despite being by far the most expensive Golf ever, the limited-run special edition was sold out in just eight minutes.

The disclosure was made on LinkedIn by Stefan Voswinkel, Head of Product Communications at VW. Paying that kind of money for a Golf goes to show make/model loyalty trumps just about everything else as people tend to no longer compare technical specifications. For that kind of money, a customer from Germany could've bought an Audi RS3 in Sportback guise. There are 158 new cars listed on Audi's website and the cheapest retails for €66,111, thus making it about €10,000 more affordable than the Golf R 333. Alternatively, a Porsche 718 Cayman S can be had for just about the same money as the VW.

A Germany-only version, the special hot hatch has its turbocharged 2.0-liter engine dialed to 328 horsepower (245 kilowatts) and 309 pound-feet (420 Newton-meters) of torque. Since we mentioned the RS3, legend has it VW wanted to use Audi's inline-five for an ultimate Golf R but the peeps from Wolfsburg were turned down by the Four Rings. A few years ago, VW toyed around with the idea of an R400 (or even an R420) but then Dieselgate happened and the project was aborted.

With increasingly stringent emissions regulations, we wouldn't hold our breath for a more powerful Golf R, at least not in the European Union. The R 333 was sold exclusively in Germany as a follow-up to the 2022 Golf R 20 Years Edition. VW offered it strictly as a five-door hatchback but you can get the regular Golf R as a wagon as well in the EU and a few other markets.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:11 PM

Not sure why, but comparing the oversees pricing of the R to US prices has never been apples to apples. For example:

The base Golf R in Germany is €54,880, which converts to $58,799. That doesn't include leather, sunroof, carbon look interior bits, the wheels, rear view camera, DCC, etc - all things we get standard. When you spec a German R the same way we get it, it's €66,205, which converts to $70,925. That same car is $46,635 here. VAT is included (19%), but that still doesn't bring the prices on par.

So the chances the 333 model would sticker for $80k here are slim to none. I'm sure dealers would love to charge ADMs on one though
Old 06-05-2023, 02:21 PM

Most definitely on ADM.
As the article said, I'd have a Cayman over the Golf 9 times out of 10.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:24 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Not sure why, but comparing the oversees pricing of the R to US prices has never been apples to apples. For example:

The base Golf R in Germany is €54,880, which converts to $58,799. That doesn't include leather, sunroof, carbon look interior bits, the wheels, rear view camera, DCC, etc - all things we get standard. When you spec a German R the same way we get it, it's €66,205, which converts to $70,925. That same car is $46,635 here. VAT is included (19%), but that still doesn't bring the prices on par.

So the chances the 333 model would sticker for $80k here are slim to none. I'm sure dealers would love to charge ADMs on one though
The problem isn't the actual price, it's how much more expensive it is to the normal one lol. Even if we scale it accordingly and add 20k to the price tag like they did in euros that basically makes this a $65k Golf lol.
Old 06-05-2023, 03:19 PM

But it doesn't scale that way, that's what I'm getting at. The German R configured the same way we get it is €66,205, which is $70,925 (or $24k more than our sticker).

The R 333 is €76,410, which is $81,849. At worst, it would be $11k more than our car, not $20k. Look at the difference in price like for like, not the price compared to their base model.

If you want another example of the Euro pricing being weird, the 20th Anniversary model is €59,995 in Germany, which is $64k. With delivery, it's $47k here. Even removing VAT, it's still more expensive by thousands.
SamDoe1 (06-05-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 03:41 PM
Ex-OEM King

Ah ok, I got it. Usually I check prices in GBP as they are similar to USD prices if you do a 1:1 conversion (not actual GBP to USD conversion).
Old 06-16-2023, 06:02 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
A refreshed Volkswagen Golf is due out in 2024. As a mid-cycle update, the changes are expected to include a facelift and a revised interior. However, depending on the outcome of new European legislation, the most radical change could be the elimination of its manual gearbox.

The legislation, known as the Euro 7 emissions rules, regulate carbon dioxide emissions from combustion-engined vehicles. According to Volkswagen, the manual transmission Golf GTI produces 162g/km of CO2 compared to 160g/km for the automatic version. It's a very slight difference but significantly impacts the automaker's emissions quotas.

For this reason, among others, the Euro 7 legislation has faced significant criticism from automakers. Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares called the new standards "useless" because they will negatively impact car prices and do not provide a customer or environmental benefit. Volkswagen has also been critical, saying it would either halt production of some models or discontinue others like the Skoda Fabia and Volkswagen Polo. In Europe, a Golf equipped with an automatic transmission costs approximately 1,500 euros more than a manual transmission car, the equivalent of about $1,642 dollars. That amount may be small compared to the price of a Golf GTI, which starts at over $31,000. However, for some, the change is not just about the added cost but one that ends a nearly 50-year run of the original hot hatch with a manual gearbox.

The original GTI debuted in 1975 as the performance version of the Mk1 Golf. Initially equipped with a close-ratio four-speed manual, it received a five-speed gearbox in 1979. By the time it reached the US in 1983, it had received a number of improvements. With barely 110 horsepower available from its 1.6-liter four-cylinder, it was quick for the era, running from 0 to 60 mph in 9.0 seconds and topping out at 113 mph.

It's unclear if the Euro 7 legislation will impact the availability of a manual-equipped Golf GTI in the US. Likewise, if the legislation is changed, it's unknown whether Volkswagen would give the manual gearbox a stay of execution in Europe. However, Volkswagen is one of many firms planning to discontinue manual transmissions. With no ICE version of the next Golf planned, that change could be coming sooner rather than later, no matter the legislation's outcome.
Revised 2024 VW Golf, Including GTI, Will Likely Lose Manual: Report (motor1.com)
Old 06-20-2023, 11:41 AM

That's disappointing, but so is VWs manual

Hopefully they address the lack of buttons in the interior.
Old 08-31-2023, 01:02 PM

https://www.netcarshow.com/volkswage...-golf_gti_380/

Volkswagen of America announced the 2024 Golf GTI 380, a special equipment set standard on every 2024 manual-transmission GTI. Available exclusively in the North American market, this special-edition build combination celebrates the heritage of the manual transmission in VW's hot hatches during the final year of three-pedal production for Golf GTI and Golf R.

"The GTI 380 conveys our appreciation for the enthusiasts who have continually demonstrated their love for the manual-equipped GTI for over four decades," said Petar Danilovic, Senior Vice President of Product Marketing & Strategy for Volkswagen of America.

The "380" name comes from the Mk8's internal model code. It's a nod to the fourth-generation GTI 337 special edition, sold in 2002, which borrowed the internal model code from the Mk1 GTI.

In the same spirit, the VW Golf GTI 380 incorporates design and performance-enhancing elements valued by VW enthusiasts and pairs them with an exclusive color to bring a truly special equipment set to every manual-transmission trim for 2024-S, SE and Autobahn. Enthusiasts will appreciate standard DCC® adaptive damping system and multi-spoke gloss black 19-inch aluminum-alloy wheels-from the Golf R 20th Anniversary Edition-shod with summer performance tires. A gloss black painted roof pairs with gloss black mirror caps, and stands out against the classic red exterior detailing of GTI. Colors for the 2024 Golf GTI include Deep Black Pearl, Atlantic Blue Metallic, Kings Red Metallic, Reflex Silver Metallic, Moonstone Gray, and Opal White Pearl, along with Graphite Gray Metallic, which is exclusive to the GTI 380.

Inside, the GTI 380 pays homage to the storied history of GTI with a golf-ball inspired manual shift knob-present on every generation of GTI-and honeycomb accents. S and SE trims feature classic Scalepaper Plaid cloth seats; Vienna leather seating surfaces come standard for the Autobahn trim and are optional on the SE trim. The

As with the rest of the 2024 Golf GTI lineup, GTI 380 trims are powered by a turbocharged EA888 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine with 241 horsepower and 273 pound-feet of torque. This model is the last Golf GTI to be offered with a 6-speed manual, while the 7-speed dual-clutch DSG® transmission will carry forward on future GTI models and on the Golf R.

The 2024 Volkswagen Golf GTI 380 goes on sale in early Fall 2023, with a starting MSRP of $32,485 for the GTI 380 S, $37,285 for the GTI 380 SE, and $40,625 for the GTI 380 Autobahn.

Old 01-24-2024, 06:49 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/volkswagen/2024-golf/

Volkswagen is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Golf. Series production of the bestseller started in Wolfsburg in March 1974. More than 37 million units have followed that first Golf to date. Purely in mathematical terms, this means that over 2,000 people around the world have opted to buy a new Golf every single day over the last 50 years. This makes the compact icon the most successful European car and the best-selling Volkswagen model of all time. Volkswagen is now presenting the latest stage in the Golf's evolution with a world premiere, featuring a new infotainment system that has been developed from scratch and a next-generation plug-in hybrid drive. The best Golf of the last 50 years will arrive in dealerships in spring 2024.

Six equipment lines at the launch

Volkswagen will launch the new Golf and Golf Variant with an entry-level version (Golf), followed by trim levels Life (medium), Style (elegant top-of-the-line equipment) and R-Line (sporty top-of-the-line equipment). The product line's two iconic sports models - the Golf GTE and the Golf GTI - are independently positioned. The Golf powertrain range will initially consist of two plug-in hybrid drives (eHybrid and GTE), two mild hybrid systems with 48 V technology (eTSI), four turbocharged petrol engines (TSI) and two turbocharged diesel engines (TDI). The elite athletes - the Golf GTI Clubsport, Golf R and Golf Variant R - are also set to follow in the second half of 2024 (R models with 4MOTION all-wheel drive). Further all-wheel-drive versions with TSI engine will also make their debut in 2025. Common to all Golf models are a newly developed infotainment system generation, new, illuminated controls for the automatic air conditioning system as well as new LED headlights and LED tail light clusters.

Exterior with a new light design

The exterior has newly designed LED headlights, new LED tail light clusters and a new front bumper as identifying features for the enhanced Golf models. The LED headlights now have straighter lines, are visually more striking and narrow significantly towards the inside. As an alternative to the standard LED headlights, performance headlights will be available in a first optional configuration level. In this case, the front will have an illuminated Volkswagen badge - a first in Europe - in addition to a horizontal LED strip in the radiator grille. The V and W as well as the circle around the letters are framed by fine light contours on the outside and inside. The illuminated Volkswagen badge gives rise to a new, unmistakably Volkswagen light design. Another lighting highlight is the second optional configuration level of the LED systems: the latest version of the IQ.LIGHT LED matrix headlights - also with an illuminated Volkswagen badge. The IQ.LIGHT LED matrix headlights are equipped with a new high-performance LED main beam that has a range of up to 500 m at night - significantly further than a conventional main beam headlight. The package of optional IQ.LIGHT LED matrix headlights includes the newly developed 3D LED tail light clusters, whose welcome and goodbye effects can be customised in the vehicle settings (via the infotainment system). There is a choice of three different effects.

New colours and new wheel rims

The eleven paint finishes are now supplemented by four new colours: Crystal Ice Blue Metallic, Anemone Blue Metallic, Oyster Silver Metallic and Grenadilla Black Metallic. A black-painted roof is available as a new option for the R-Line, GTE and GTI versions. More new additions: five of the up to 19-inch alloy wheels.

Interior with new infotainment systems. The hardware and software of the Golf's infotainment systems are completely new. They are now based on the fourth-generation modular infotainment system (MIB4). Operation has been significantly improved and simplified thanks to brand-new graphics and a new menu structure for the touch display. The highly intuitive infotainment system will be available in two different 16:9 display formats: the touchscreen in the basic version Ready 2 Discover measures 26.4 cm (10.4 inches) across the diagonal, while the top-of-the-line Discover version has a display diagonal of 32.8 cm (12.9 inches). The new tablet-style MIB4 displays are designed to be visually free-standing. As part of this, the touch sliders for the temperature and volume control have been newly developed; they are now more ergonomic to use and are illuminated. A windscreen head-up display will again be optionally available for the Golf and Golf Variant.

The infotainment display in detail

The new MIB4 systems are highly intuitive to operate. The basis for this is a newly developed menu structure for the display: the screen is divided into two touch bars at the top and bottom and the imposing home screen in the middle. The driver can assign favourite direct access functions to large areas of the top bar and home screen. The big advantage: the individually configured top bar and static bottom bar remain continuously displayed when the driver opens various functions in the form of apps on the home screen. This considerably simplifies operation. In addition, the new MIB4 systems are very fast in operation. The menu structure in detail:
  • The top bar. The top bar has a new direct access button on the far left that allows the driver to open the main menu with an overview of all apps with just one click. To the right of this is a stylised vehicle button for the new Car Control Centre; it offers direct access to the most important vehicle functions. The main menu and Car Control Centre are always accessible without having to close the active app. To the right of the Car Control Centre there are further direct access functions that can be assigned individually - for example, with buttons for the driving modes, parking functions, assist systems and the media library.
  • The home screen in the middle. The large home screen contains the content from the most important apps on freely assignable graphic tiles of different sizes. Classic apps such as the navigation system, radio and sound settings, as well as new functions such as the visualised instructions from the IDA voice assistant, are displayed in the tiles on the home screen.
  • The bottom bar. The bottom bar contains permanent direct access to the air conditioning system and seat air conditioning as well as the home button, which the driver can use to return to the central home screen at any time.
Customisable Digital Cockpit Pro

The new Golf models have advanced digital instruments on board as standard: the Digital Cockpit Pro (display diagonal: 26 cm/10.2 inches). The driver can use corresponding buttons on the new multifunction steering wheel to set up two different basic graphic configurations (information profiles): Classic with round instruments and Progressive with display tiles. The area between the round instruments or tiles can be assigned freely - for example, with the navigation system's route guidance or displays from the assist systems. The areas inside the round instruments and tiles can be filled with various information. There are also model-specific information profiles for the Golf R-Line, the Golf GTI and the Golf GTE.

Better parking

A new feature on board the Golf and Golf Variant is Park Assist Pro. The system enables the vehicle to be driven into and out of parking spaces using a smartphone. The driver controls the parking procedure from outside the vehicle with their smartphone; the Golf steers, brakes and accelerates independently within predetermined parameters. Another new feature is the Area View system - here a 360-degree all-round view is created by merging four cameras, and the corresponding image is transferred to the infotainment system touchscreen.

Six equipment packages in the launch phase

The Golf and Golf Variant will be offered in an entry-level version (Golf) as well as the higher equipment specifications Life, Style and R-Line. They cover the wide spectrum of equipment levels and powertrain options that customers expect from a Golf. An economical four-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine and Active Cylinder Management (ACTplus) is used as the standard engine for all these models. The sporty Golf GTE and Golf GTI have their own separate positioning and powertrain options.

Entry-level version - Golf

The entry-level Golf model is already generously equipped, offering features such as automatic climate control (Climatronic), enhanced multifunction steering wheel, the keyless locking and starting system Keyless Access, Dynamic Road Sign Display, cruise control system, Park Assist at front and rear, the new infotainment system (basic version), wireless App-Connect (wireless integration of smartphone apps with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto), mobile phone interface, Digital Cockpit and the new LED headlights and LED tail light clusters.

Medium level - Life

The next equipment level is the Golf Life. Here, additional details such as chrome package, exterior mirrors with memory function, wireless charging for smartphones, exterior surround lighting, interior three-colour background lighting, comfort seats with lumbar support at the front as well as leather multifunction steering wheel and adaptive cruise control ACC are on board. Also, standard are 16-inch alloy wheels.

Top-of-the-line versions - Style and R-Line

Future buyers of a new Golf and Golf Variant have the choice between two equivalent top-of-the-line versions with different positioning: Style and R-Line. The elegant Golf Style is characterised by 17-inch alloy wheels on the exterior, individualised bumpers in Style design with chrome strips, and performance headlights together with illuminated Volkswagen logo at the front. Inside, the equipment is enhanced by sports comfort seats with ArtVelours covers, electric 14-way adjustment for the driver's seat and 30-colour background lighting. The standard equipment package is rounded off by a rear view camera system (Rear View). In terms of the exterior, the sporty Golf R-Line differs from the Golf Style by virtue of distinctive bumpers in the R-Line design and numerous elements in high-gloss black, including the side sill trims. These features are complemented by black 17-inch alloy wheels with diamond-cut outer surfaces. The interior and functional equipment is differentiated from the Golf Style by a leather multifunction sports steering wheel with shift function (for the versions with automatic dual clutch gearbox), driving profile selection and premium sports seats with R-Line fabric seat covers.

Compact sports cars - GTE and GTI

The Volkswagen Golf GTE has always been closely related to the Golf GTI. In the latest evolutionary versions, both models still share the GT-specific front design. This includes the large honeycomb radiator grille in the bumper, which is framed at the sides by striking air guides and by a front spoiler in the style of a motorsports splitter. Another GT element is the coloured stripe in the upper radiator grille and above the new headlights. This is traditionally red for the Golf GTI and blue for the Golf GTE. The two models differ from each other at the rear: the Golf GTI has round chrome-plated tailpipes on the left and right of the black diffuser. Usually driven electrically in everyday life, the Golf GTE is characterised by an elegant chrome strip above the diffuser instead of the tailpipes. The 17-inch Richmond alloy wheel rims are standard on both models. Inside, the VW Golf GTI and the Golf GTE impress with their premium sports seats in the legendary check pattern and a leather multifunction sports steering wheel. While elements such as the stitching, edging on the front head restraints and the centre steering wheel clip are red in the Golf GTI, blue is used in the Golf GTE (Golf GTE: steering wheel stitching in black). Other standard features in both models include a gear knob with aluminium surround, 30-colour background lighting, three-zone Climatronic system and the large Discover top-of-the-line infotainment system. The Golf GTI can also be equipped with optional interior applications in genuine carbon fibre for the first time.

Quick Reply: Volkswagen: Golf News