Toyota: RAV4 News

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 10:45 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I think they're going to price this thing right out of its target market.
Good, then my wife will feel even better about the 05 she bought last week.

Realistically the prices can't go up much. The CR-V is the leader in this segment and it can't be priced above those levels.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:52 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
Good, then my wife will feel even better about the 05 she bought last week.

Realistically the prices can't go up much. The CR-V is the leader in this segment and it can't be priced above those levels.

If they continue to offer a 4 cylinder as an option than I can see the price remaining relatively unchanged but if rumours of the 3.5L V6 are true I can't see how they can keep the price close to 05 levels.

In Canada anyway you need 30K+ to get into a current Rav or CR-V.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toyota
http://www.toyota.com/images/vehicle...elease8_29.pdf
ALL-NEW 2006 TOYOTA RAV4 SUV TO MAKE ITS
WORLD PREMIERE AT FRANKFURT INTERNATIONAL MOTOR SHOW
TORRANCE, Calif., Sept. 12, 2005 - - Toyota Motor Marketing Europe (TMME),
will unveil the all-new European-specification third-generation 2006 RAV4 compact sport
utility vehicle (SUV) at a press conference tomorrow at the 2005 Frankfurt International
Motor Show.
“We look forward to the arrival of the new RAV4 in the U.S. later this year,” said
Jim Lentz, Toyota Division group vice president and general manager, Toyota Motor
Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc. “Completely re-styled, the new RAV4 is larger and more
powerful to provide the necessary utility and performance for active singles and the
comfort, versatility and convenience to meet the demands of young couples with and
without children.”
The next-generation RAV4 rides on an all-new platform that is significantly longer
and wider, inside and out, with a roomier and more convenient passenger compartment
than the previous generation (the U.S. version will have a longer wheelbase than the
European version). With an increased length of more than 14-inches over the previous
generation, a new seating design features second row seating for three and optional
third row seating, a first in the small SUV segment. The seating allows for numerous
seat fold-down configurations, and under-floor storage (on models without the third-row
seat), providing cargo space comparable to a mid-size SUV. Among the array of interior
features new to RAV4 are optitron gauges, cruise control with lever-operated brake
deceleration, dual zone automatic air conditioning, audio mini-jack port, and a dual glove
box.
-more-
2006 RAV4 2-2-2-2
The RAV4 will offer an optional all-new class-leading 3.5-liter V6 engine with dual
variable valve timing with intelligence (VVT-i) that will generate 268 horsepower, more
than some V8-equipped larger SUV’s. The standard powertrain will be an upgraded 2.4-
liter four-cylinder engine with VVT-i. The engine will deliver 166 horsepower, making it
one of the most powerful in the small SUV segment. The increased power of the two
powertrains is matched with improved fuel efficiency.
Like all Toyota SUV’s, RAV4 will be equipped with the Toyota Star Safety
System, which includes an enhanced version of Toyota’s Vehicle Stability Control (VSC),
Traction Control, Anti-lock brakes with Electronic Brake Force Distribution, and Brake
Assist. RAV4 will also offer optional driver and front passenger seat-mounted side, and
front- and second-row roll-sensing side curtain airbags.
Ride and handling is significantly improved as the RAV4’s new platform includes
a redesigned suspension, which is coupled with a more responsive new electronic power
steering system. The new Sport grade will feature standard 18-inch alloys, helping to
provide enhanced performance handling. Additional Sport grade features will include
overfenders, privacy glass, roof rack, and a unique interior seat fabric for a more
aggressive appearance. A new Limited grade offers increased interior refinement, which
includes dual zone air conditioning, power driver seat, an upgraded audio system with a
six-disc CD changer, and available leather-trimmed interior seats.
An all-new exterior design features a modern-rugged theme. Its contemporary
look includes an aerodynamically sleek and sporty shape with a wider stance and sharp
character lines that convey the power and muscularity traits commonly associated with
SUV’s.
-more-
2006 RAV4 3-3-3-3
The all-new RAV4 will be offered in three distinct grades; Base, Sport, and
Limited. Each grade will be available in two- and four-wheel-drive (4WD) with a fourspeed
automatic transmission on four-cylinder models and a five-speed automatic
transmission with V6-equipped models. The 4WD RAV4 features Toyota’s newest
electronically controlled 4WD on-demand system with a manual 4WD Locking Switch.
The new RAV4 will launch in the U.S. in late December 2005.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:57 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
looks better without the spare on the back
Old 09-14-2005, 03:59 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Looks like it will cut into Highlander sales. A least until the Highlander is redesigned. Also puts some pressure on Honda to step up with the next CR-V.

But as a potential customer, I have to say the 3.5 is too big IMO. I'd have been happy with a 3L with ~220HP.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
DAMN! 3 ROWS?!?! I'd like to see that...
Old 09-14-2005, 04:48 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
much better than last gen's which was way too feminine
Old 09-14-2005, 05:33 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Who's gonna fit in the 3rd row seats?

Midgets?
Old 09-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Safety Car

Old 09-14-2005, 07:10 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsme
I like it and I like this color a lot. But a 3rd row? It will probably be unuseable BUT they will be able to say they were the first to offer one. I like the interior too. Good wifey car.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:35 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
268 horsepower? Jesus, even the turbo RDX isn't going to have this much power.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by heyitsme
With an increased length of more than 14-inches over the previous
generation, a new seating design features second row seating for three and optional
third row seating, a first in the small SUV segment.
Holy HELL…. That will be as big as the Highlander.
I like the V6 addition though.
My wife’s 4-banger is starved for power when it’s needed to merge onto a highway.
But she loves it for driving around town and it gets great gas mileage.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Racer

hmmm this or Highlander? tough decision!
Old 09-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Certified Lurker

I like it alot actualy
Old 09-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by 65 Fury Convert
I like it and I like this color a lot. But a 3rd row? It will probably be unuseable BUT they will be able to say they were the first to offer one. I like the interior too. Good wifey car.
They're not. The Suzuki XL-7 has been offering a 3rd row in the compact SUV segment for a few years now. And that 3rd row is useless, even for little kids. I can't see the RAV4 being any better given its compact size.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Shawn S
Holy HELL…. That will be as big as the Highlander.
I like the V6 addition though.
My wife’s 4-banger is starved for power when it’s needed to merge onto a highway.
But she loves it for driving around town and it gets great gas mileage.
I showed this new one to my wife and she's glad she bought the 05.

OK, who the first person who's gonna go to the Lexus forums and say their brand new IS350 engine (minus DI) can be found in the lowly RAV4?
Lexus fan boys always boast how Lexus is so seperate from Toyota - guess what, this new 3.5V6 will be whored out about as much as the VQ from Nissan/Infiniti.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:06 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I once read that Gen 2 Honda CR-V was configured to seat 10 in one of the southeast Asian countries, 3+4+3, so that it could skip on some import tax by being a multi-person vehicle.

I wonder how the V6 will sell for RAV-4. I guess the Highlander will also grow in size.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Pinky all stinky

I showed this new one to my wife and she's glad she bought the 05.

OK, who the first person who's gonna go to the Lexus forums and say their brand new IS350 engine (minus DI) can be found in the lowly RAV4?
Lexus fan boys always boast how Lexus is so seperate from Toyota - guess what, this new 3.5V6 will be whored out about as much as the VQ from Nissan/Infiniti.

Are you saying you miss 1sicklex?
Old 09-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by phile
Are you saying you miss 1sicklex?
Yeah, all of the FWD Acura bashing, I need to get to CL to read all of that now.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:49 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
They're not. The Suzuki XL-7 has been offering a 3rd row in the compact SUV segment for a few years now. And that 3rd row is useless, even for little kids. I can't see the RAV4 being any better given its compact size.
Good point, Phile, I forgot about the XL-7.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:59 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
IMHO the current RAV4 looks more sporty and coherent with the overall design. This new one suffers from the usual Toyota design flaws - dowdy and derivative styling, too many lines and angles going on, and incredible blandness....
Old 11-05-2005, 12:11 AM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Toyota RAV4 US Debut at 2005 SEMA Show

Toyota raises the bar in small SUV segment

The all-new third-generation RAV4 compact sport utility vehicle (SUV) made its U.S. debut at a press conference today at the 2005 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show. Featuring vastly improved performance, overall refinement, and a larger, restyled design, the RAV4 will redefine a segment it created nearly 10 years ago.

The RAV4, which first launched in January 1996, revolutionized the SUV market as the first SUV developed on a passenger-car platform instead of the traditional truck platform. The success of the first RAV4 spawned the development of the car-based compact SUV, which now commands nearly 79 percent of the small SUV market.

"The arrival of the new RAV4, nearly 10 years after pioneering the compact SUV segment, receives an extreme makeover for 2006," said Jim Lentz, Toyota Division group vice president and general manager. "Completely re-styled, the new RAV4 is larger and more powerful to provide the necessary utility and performance for active singles and the comfort, versatility and convenience to meet the demands of young couples, with and without children."

RAV4 is offered in three distinct grades in two- and four-wheel-drive. They include standard grade, a new performance-driven Sport grade, and the top-of-the-line Limited.

Larger, More Contemporary Styling

The next-generation RAV4 rides on an all-new platform that is significantly longer and wider, inside and out, with a roomier and more contemporary designed passenger compartment than the previous generation.

The new RAV4 is constructed with high-tensile steel, creating a lightweight yet rigid body for enhanced driving stability and responsive steering. Reduced NVH is made possible with the application of new engine hood seals and a cowl front insulator. Outer molding has been eliminated from the windshield and door glass, enhancing aerodynamics and reducing wind noise. A two-ply hood insulator with a middle air layer is also available to help further reduce noise from entering the cabin.

The RAV4's all-new exterior design features a modern-rugged theme. Its contemporary look combines an aerodynamically sleek and sporty shape with a wider stance and sharp character lines that convey the power and muscularity traits commonly associated with SUV's. The front view is sloped and features an aggressive trapezoidal grille and stylish four-bulb headlamps, producing an aggressive stare. The Base grade surface architecture from front to rear blends the aggressive front end with an agile shape that reflects a modern image. The rear view conveys a more traditional SUV look with a taller and wider stance, LED taillamps, and a mounted spare tire in a partial-hard color-keyed shell. Sitting on large P215/70 R16 tires with 16-inch steel wheels or available P225/65 R17 tires with steel or aluminum alloy wheels on the base grade (17-inch standard on V6 models), the RAV4 profile exudes an expression of performance.

The new Sport grade adds a performance-driven personality to the RAV4's contemporary design with an abundance of standard features including P235/55 R18 tires with 18-inch aluminum alloy wheels, sport tuned suspension, color-keyed door handles, fender flares, fog lights, roof rails and cross bars, color-keyed heated and foldable power outside mirrors, smoked headlamp trim, unique dark charcoal fabric seats, and color-keyed spare tire cover.

In addition to its appealing looks, the aerodynamic shape of the RAV4 reduces its coefficient drag from 0.35 to 0.33, among the best in its segment. The reduced coefficient drag helps to minimize wind noise and enhance fuel economy.

Improved Engine Performance

All grades will offer an all-new class-leading 3.5-liter V6 engine paired to a gated-shift five-speed automatic transmission. Equipped with dual variable valve timing with intelligence (VVT-i) the new V6 will generate a best-in-class 269 horsepower at 6,200 RPM, and 246 lbs.-ft. of torque @ 4,700 RPM.

The V6-equipped RAV4 can effortlessly accelerate from zero-to-60 mph in under seven seconds while achieving an impressive estimated preliminary EPA fuel economy mpg rating of 20 city/28 highway for 4x2 models and 20 city/27 highway for 4x4 grades.

Toyota developed many technological improvements for the new V6, including the introduction of a unique new roller rocker concave cam profile that provides faster opening and later closing of the valves, which is a key contributor to its significant power. In addition, the dual-VVT-i system optimizes intake and exhaust valve timing to increase high-speed torque, ultimately improving fuel economy.

The standard powertrain will be an upgraded 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine with VVT-i equipped with a gated-shift four-speed automatic. The engine will deliver 166 horsepower (an increase of five hp) with 165 lbs.-ft of torque @ 4,000 RPM, making it one of the most powerful four-cylinder engines in the small SUV segment and close in horsepower to some competitor V6's. The additional horsepower is matched with improved fuel efficiency with EPA preliminary mpg estimates of 24 city/29 highway on 4x2 configurations and 23 city/27 highway on 4x4 models.

In addition to improvements in power and fuel efficiency, both the V6 and four-cylinder engines are expected to be EPA certified as an Ultra Low Emission Vehicle II (ULEV2).

Advancements in Ride Handling

The new RAV4 raises the bar to new levels of handling performance in the small SUV segment. Four-wheel independent suspension gives the RAV4 both agile, sporty handling and a comfortable car-like ride.

The front suspension is equipped with McPherson struts, which have been completely redesigned from the lower arm, to the coil springs and shock absorbers. The rear utilizes a newly developed, trailing double wishbone suspension. The rear shock absorbers are uniquely positioned diagonally allowing for a larger and lower rear cargo deck.

Like all SUV's in the Toyota lineup, RAV4 comes standard with the Star Safety System. The standard system includes vehicle stability control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), anti-lock brake system (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA). The new RAV4 adds to the Star Safety System with the addition of all-new enhancements to VSC. This new system goes beyond conventional traction and stability controls that simply react to challenging conditions.

Now VSC interfaces with a new Electronic Power Steering system (EPS) to help optimize steering assist for each situation. The EPS uses a DC motor and gear reduction system built into the steering gear housing to help provide steering assist. This compact unit contributes to fuel economy by eliminating the traditional power steering pump and by providing its computer-controlled assist only when called for by the driver. EPS also allows a more precise and timely control of steering assist than conventional engine-driven hydraulic systems. The integration of EPS allows the enhanced VSC system to better anticipate vehicle lack of control in virtually any direction and correspond to driver operation and vehicle behavior.

Ride handling is further enhanced with a new electronically controlled on-demand four-wheel-drive system. The new system features an electronic controlled coupling that distributes torque transmitted between the front and rear wheels, allowing the RAV4 to switch continuously from front-wheel-drive to four-wheel-drive mode. Because the system switches between two- and four-wheel-drive based on road conditions, vehicle control and fuel economy are improved. When in auto mode, torque distribution to the rear wheels is decreased during low speed cornering to avoid tight corner braking. A 4WD manual locking switch will disengage the auto mode, maximizing torque distribution to the rear wheels. When the vehicle speed reaches 25 mph the Lock mode will disengage, reverting back to Auto mode. The Lock mode also disengages when the brakes are engaged, optimizing ABS and VSC. Ride handling is addressed on all RAV4 4x2 models with an automatic Limited Slip Differential as standard equipment.

Even with its larger dimensions and increased passenger room, the new RAV4 offers improved maneuverability with a tighter turning radius than previous models. A stronger, stiffer chassis, redesigned suspension, and EPS improve its on-road ride and handling. The new Sport grade features a more firmly tuned suspension and 18-inch wheels creating a sharper handling response.

All RAV4's equipped with a V6 engine and all four-cylinder models equipped with a third-row seat come standard with Hill-start Assist Control (HAC) and Downhill Assist Control (DAC). HAC provides additional control for on-road and off-road driving by helping to keep the vehicle stationary while starting on a steep incline or slippery surface. DAC is designed to augment the low-speed descending ability of low-range by helping to hold the vehicle to a target speed with no intervention from the driver.

Uphill/downhill shift logic is adopted on all RAV4's with both four- and five-speed automatic transmissions. Uphill/downhill shift logic reduces the frequency of gear shifting caused by the operation of the accelerator and brake pedals during winding uphill and downhill driving.

Spacious Interior Comfort and Utility

With an increased length of more than 14-inches over the previous generation, a new seating design features second row seating for three and optional third row seating, a first in the small SUV segment. The larger dimensions create a larger cabin, increasing shoulder room for all passengers, and additional head clearance and legroom for second row passengers, allowing for overall greater passenger comfort.

The seating allows for numerous seat fold-down configurations, and under-floor storage (on models without the third-row seat), providing cargo space comparable to some mid-size SUV's. Second row seats are 60/40 split with fore and aft movement for legroom adjustment, reclining seatbacks for added comfort and an armrest with two cupholders. The second row seats fold flat with the convenience of tilt-down levers located on the side of the seatbacks and cargo area, allowing for an even and expanded rear cargo area. A second one-touch lever, located in the cargo area, also allows the second-row seats (on two-row models) to fold flat. The optional 50/50 split and stow third-row seat on Base and Limited grades allow seating for two passengers, and folds flat under the rear deck for increased cargo space. Durable fabric seats add to the interior comfort of the Base grade.

A distinct upgraded dark charcoal fabric is dedicated to the Sport grade. An upgraded seat fabric is also standard on the Limited grade. For an added dose of refinement, leather-trimmed seats are offered on the Limited grade.

A new level of refinement has been built into the RAV4 interior. A brushed metallic silver finish on the center cluster, door trim and steering wheel spokes creates a bold and contemporary SUV feel. The look and functionality of the RAV4 interior is enhanced by contemporary-designed analogue, three-tiered Optitron gauges. Small touches are also evident with the addition of a large vanity mirror with eye-friendly ceiling lights, illumination on two extra large front cup holders for improved ease of use during nighttime driving and a cellphone holder in the center console. Also, a drivers seat ratchet device on non-Limited models allows for easy seat-height adjustment.

Storage is in abundance with compartments on each of the front doors, increased storage capacity in the center console box, rear passenger storage on the front driver and passenger seatbacks, a back door storage pocket, a sunken rear storage compartment with a foldable double-flap lid, and a one-push open/close upper storage compartment above the glove box. Two hidden storage compartments are concealed under the rear cargo area floor by a water-repellant foldable deck board on models equipped with two-rows.

Form, fun and functionality is in abundance with an array of standard convenience features across all three grades that includes CFC free manual air-conditioning, AM/FM CD with six speakers with a mini-plug jack and MP3/WMA playback capability, remote keyless entry, ten front and rear bottle/cup holders, power windows and door locks, larger foldable power mirrors, privacy glass, three 12-volt auxiliary power outlets, and a tilt and telescopic steering wheel. RAV4 also features the first in-use application of lever-operated brake deceleration cruise control as standard equipment.

The Limited grade adds a higher level of refinement with standard features, inside and out, that include P225/65 R17 tires with 17-inch aluminum six-spoke alloy wheels, color-keyed door handles, fog lights, black roof rails and cross bars, color-keyed heated and foldable power side mirrors, AM/FM six-disc in-dash CD changer with six speakers, a mini-plug jack and MP3/WMA playback capability, defroster-linked CFC-free dual zone automatic climate control with air filter, micro dust/pollen removal capability and information display, engine immobilizer system, interior foot-well lighting, leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls, leather-wrapped shift knob with metallic insert, eight-way power driver seat plus lumbar, cargo area tonneau cover with a multi-purpose cargo net and support poles (models with two-rows only), hard shell color-keyed spare tire cover, upgraded seat fabric, and a chrome grille.

Safety

The RAV4 helps protect its occupants with a reinforced cabin using front and rear crumple zones and energy-absorbing materials on the roof and doors to help reduce the severity of head, chest and abdominal injuries in the event of an accident.

The front seats of the RAV4 include height-adjustable headrests, which are designed to help reduce the possibility of whiplash-type injuries, and include three-point seatbelts with pretensioners and belt-force limiters. The second- and third-row seats also incorporate height-adjustable headrests and three-point seatbelts in all seating positions.

The driver and passenger advanced front airbags inflate according to collision severity. A front seat passenger sensor is designed to determine if there is a person in the seat and is also equipped with an occupant classification system to verify the front passengers' weight category to determine whether the airbag should inflate. Driver and front passenger front-seat-mounted side airbags with first and second row roll-sensing side curtain airbags (RSCA) will also be available as an option.

Options

In addition to the array of standard equipment, an impressive list of optional comfort and utility features are available to further enhance the RAV4 driving experience. Options available on the Base grade include AM/FM six-disc in-dash CD changer with six speakers, mini-plug jack and MP3/WMA playback capability, Daytime Running Lights, black painted roof rails and cross bars, P225/65 R17 tires with either 17-inch five-spoke aluminum alloy wheels or 17-inch five-spoke steel wheels, fabric-trimmed 50/50 split and stow two-person third-row seat that folds flat, cargo area tonneau cover with a multi-purpose cargo net and support poles, and a tow package (V6 only) that increases towing capacity to a maximum of 3,500 pounds.

Available features on the new Sport grade, in addition to those offered on the Base grade (with the exception of third-row seat), includes a power tilt/slide moonroof with sunshade, and a JBL six-disc CD changer with nine speakers (including a subwoofer), mini-plug jack, MP3/WMA playback capability and steering wheel audio controls.

The premium Limited grade also offers leather-trimmed seats, driver and front passenger heated seats, rear seat DVD entertainment system with rear seat audio, and an exclusive Blizzard White Pearl exterior paint.

Toyota's 36-month/36,000-mile basic new-vehicle limited warranty applies to all components other than normal wear and maintenance items. Additional 60-month warranties cover the powertrain for 60 months/60,000 miles and corrosion perforation for 60 months with no mileage limitation.

Old 11-05-2005, 12:14 AM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
looks like a Highlander/Tribeca/tC, so plain and ugly as hell
Old 11-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Race Director

It got bigger, heavier, more expensive and not any better looking. There are few features on this over the 05, other than the obvious V6. I guess sales numbers will tell the story.

Biker, who wonders how many wannabe racers will be smoked by the V6 in this thing.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:16 PM
Burning Brakes

wow....i can't believe this thing is getting a 3.5 V6....i wonder if the highlander is sticking wit the 3.3 V6
Old 11-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Racer

RDX=owned!!
Old 11-05-2005, 04:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sipark
"... 3.0 liter V6 is expected to join..."

Ya listening, Acura???
listening to what? the cr-v outsells the rav4 AND highlander
Old 11-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Kabachitare!

wow, it has really grown up! and V6 power too. Looks like Toyota will get even more market share with this!
Old 11-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
A long way from the first one but I still say, "Meh."
Old 11-06-2005, 07:15 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by kansaiwalker1
wow, it has really grown up! and V6 power too. Looks like Toyota will get even more market share with this!
Yeah, of the Highlander market.

While their overall numbers inch up, it seems to me that Toyota sometimes comes up with models that take away from within its own market.

While it's very early, if the October Lexus sedan sales are any indication, the IS took a chunk of sales away from the ES and perhaps GS.

No informed buyer would get a Highlander for 30K when they can get the new more powerful RAV4 of the same size for less.

Like the Nissan lineup has shown, whoring out one drivetrain makes economic sense even when to the outside it doesn't - few folks would think a 100+HP gap between drivetrain choices in a vehicle makes sense.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Anyone think they made it too big? Do they need to come out with a sub RAV4 SUV now? That thing looks huge!
Old 11-06-2005, 12:56 PM
Drifting

Ugh! That thing is
Old 11-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RWalker2
Anyone think they made it too big? Do they need to come out with a sub RAV4 SUV now? That thing looks huge!
agreeed...they shoulda jus kept the RAV4 compact
Old 11-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
agreeed...they shoulda jus kept the RAV4 compact
I agree.
My wife drives a 2003 RAV4 4X4.
If it got totaled tomorrow, I don’t think I would buy this new one to replace it.
Too big. Too much engine.
My wife regularly gets 27-28 MPG.
The new one probably only gets low 20’s.
So now the SUV product line jumps right from the Matrix to this sucker.
I guess the Highlander is getting bigger too which will be a disappointment to people who like those.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:55 AM
Pinky all stinky

Like the current one better. Wished it was a little bigger, but not THAT much bigger.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
They will probably introduce a new small SUV to fill the void left by the bigger RAV4.

The only thing is if they make the RAV4 bigger and the highlander bigger they would have to make the 4runner bigger but then they would have to make the Sequoia bigger....
Old 11-07-2005, 09:08 AM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It got bigger, heavier, more expensive and not any better looking. There are few features on this over the 05, other than the obvious V6. I guess sales numbers will tell the story.

Biker, who wonders how many wannabe racers will be smoked by the V6 in this thing.
so very true
Old 11-07-2005, 12:01 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AcuraGT-3
RDX=owned!!

Without even knowing RDX specifications thats one ignorant statement. And not even competing vehicles.

What does Lexus have to battle the RDX?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:37 AM
Burning Brakes

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=107977

base RAV4 has a 2.4-liter, four-cylinder gas engine (169 hp), linked to a Super CVT-i transmission with seven-speed manual shift
Old 11-15-2005, 09:43 AM
Burning Brakes

how does a CVT have 7spd manual shift?

Quick Reply: Toyota: RAV4 News