Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 08:43 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,197 Likes on 4,065 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr
https://www.tesla.com/support/transi...g-tesla-vision

Tesla Vision Update: Replacing Ultrasonic Sensors with Tesla Vision

click link for FAQ
In case anyone was wondering how well this will work, when parking in my garage at home the normal ultrasonic parking sensors give me a pretty accurate distance to objects around my car down to a measured value in inches while Tesla vision (as displayed on the screen) thinks there's a semi truck parked on top of my car.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:05 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,465 Likes on 4,982 Posts
Mine thinks a garbage can is a box truck.
The following users liked this post:
SamDoe1 (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 12:42 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Mine thinks a garbage can is a box truck.
So what you're saying is that this will go super well right?

Gotta love Tesla's strategy in navigating part shortages. Just decontent the cars and spin it off as a positive lol.

Tesla is a marketing company that happens to also make cars.
Old 10-05-2022, 12:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
So without the sensor, will the camera tell you exactly how close you are to the wall?

Cuz in my experience, the sensor is way more helpful than my front facing camera that is difficult to see the distance under certain lighting/weather conditions.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:29 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
So without the sensor, will the camera tell you exactly how close you are to the wall?

Cuz in my experience, the sensor is way more helpful than my front facing camera that is difficult to see the distance under certain lighting/weather conditions.
That's the plan though I can already tell you how it's going to work and it's not going to go well. Can't say I've seen a semi truck in my garage before but the car sure as hell seems to think it's there.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:54 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Tesla to release its ""reverse summon / park seek" function soon. That in essence is the beginning of true FSD, as in no-one present in the driver seat.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:28 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,839 Likes on 6,587 Posts
I'm interested to find out if hurricane proof panels were really hurricane proof. Does homeowners insurance cover them?

Would not a natural gas generator and a full tank of fuel in the gas guzzler have the same results that this guy had with panels/wall/Model X?
He actually had one solar panel out of 30+ damaged by the storm. IDK if they say their solar panels are hurricane-proof, the solar roof is supposed to be stronger than normal solar panels, probably why it's less efficient, that's the tradeoff.

The electric grid is thoroughly fucked down there beyond repair, it has to be rebuilt from scratch, so people will be without power for months.

civicdrivr (10-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 10:40 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Comfy
Tesla to release its ""reverse summon / park seek" function soon. That in essence is the beginning of true FSD, as in no-one present in the driver seat.
Sure. Judging by what my car thinks it sees in my garage, this can only go perfectly well.

Interested in a Tesla? Will be selling mine pretty soon.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:28 AM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
He actually had one solar panel out of 30+ damaged by the storm. IDK if they say their solar panels are hurricane-proof, the solar roof is supposed to be stronger than normal solar panels, probably why it's less efficient, that's the tradeoff.

The electric grid is thoroughly fucked down there beyond repair, it has to be rebuilt from scratch, so people will be without power for months.

https://twitter.com/jeremyjudkins_/s...82737016840194
https://twitter.com/jeremyjudkins_/s...96045052674049
“I just stroke it off no problem. it just cuums.. right in to my hand”
Old 10-06-2022, 11:34 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,294 Likes on 2,649 Posts
I won't trust any FSD vehicle without a forward and side looking active sensor (radar, lidar,...). Passive sensing only is a very poor solution.
Old 10-06-2022, 03:28 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Mizouse
“I just stroke it off no problem. it just cuums.. right in to my hand”
That's how most of his videos are, he's always been the Tesla stan who makes dick jokes. Then his town got obliterated, now his Powerwalls are saving his ass and providing some relief for his neighbors
Old 10-06-2022, 04:12 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
I won't trust any FSD vehicle without a forward and side looking active sensor (radar, lidar,...). Passive sensing only is a very poor solution.
It CAN be a good solution if the use conditions warranted it. Using cameras only to pilot a 5000lb missile at high speed in a field of other similar objects also moving at high speed all piloted by unpredictable idiots seems like a pretty stupid thing to do though. We're not to the point where a set of cameras and computers can process and interpret data/info the same way a human brain can without some other means of sensing.
Old 10-06-2022, 04:23 PM
Team Owner

FSD or Auto Pilot should only be assisting the drivers to reduce human errors. In that sense, they are great. That is why they should be called some kind of driving assistance feature like most of the other ppl are calling it.

Not FULL SELF Driving that Elon is claiming it to be. If you see some idiots or drunk ass or road rage on the road, we as human drivers ( well most of us) will adapt or adjust accordingly base on the specific environment at that specific time.
It is not something that a Camera and computers can do. Just like you are not going to married a robot, at least not yet.
Old 10-06-2022, 04:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Interested in a Tesla? Will be selling mine pretty soon.
I'm waiting to see if this latest sensor delete comes with upgraded cameras to compensate. If not, I am probably going to cancel my order.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:13 PM
Ex-OEM King

I'm waiting to see if this latest sensor delete comes with upgraded cameras to compensate. If not, I am probably going to cancel my order.
Buy mine, comes complete with ultrasonic sensors!
Old 10-07-2022, 06:29 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Tesla has always been a company that caused both great excitement, through the products they promised, and of great disappointment, through the long time it takes to make those promises a reality. That happened with almost all the tech they planned on releasing over the years, but the long time part seems to be particularly strong when it comes to the Semi.
7 photos

Shown for the first time in 2017, the all-electric Class 8 semi-truck should have been on the roads in great numbers by now. It was first supposed to hit the assembly lines in 2019 but, in the usual Elon Musk-style, it was pushed one year back, and then another, and then another…

At an industry level, the interest in what the company plans to offer with the Semi is very high, with several high-profile companies announcing their interest in it: DHL, FedEx, or Pepsi, among others.

The food, snack, and beverage mammoth reserved its first Tesla Semis from all the way back in 2017, saying it wants 100 of them. To this day, it’s yet to receive a single one.

That may change this December, if we are once again to trust what Musk is saying. The billionaire broke the news on Twitter a few hours ago, when he said production of the truck has commenced, and Pepsi should get delivery of its first electric Semis on December 1. Just in time for Christmas, you could say.

The trucks to be delivered are of the “500 mile range & super fun to drive” variety, according to Musk. That’s the basic Semi, as shown right now on the company’s website, the one that offers naught to sixty acceleration times of 20 seconds, fully loaded.

On its end, like most other companies seeking to switch some of their hauler fleets to electric power, Pepsi is looking to cut down and fuel costs and emissions. As per Fleettrax, back in 2015 Pepsi had the largest fleet of vehicles in the world, which included “8,000 tractors, nearly 12,000 trailers and nearly 15,000 straight trucks.”
Tesla Semi to Start Shipping Pepsi Just in Time for Christmas, Musk Says (autoevolution.com)
Old 10-07-2022, 06:36 AM

Mmmmm hmmm
Old 10-07-2022, 09:34 AM
Race Director

I think the newer structural battery packs are supposed to do away with this issue (well sealed against water infiltration). This is one case in which an ICE vehicle probably is less likely to catch fire.

The North Collier Fire Rescue District along with Florida's Chief Financial Officer & State Fire Marshal Jimmy Patronis stated that electric vehicles are spontaneously catching fire in Florida because their batteries suffered water damage after the floods caused by Hurricane Ian.
9 photos

In the social media posts, they show and explain how difficult it was to put out the fire from the batteries of a Tesla Model X. The most worrying thing they said was that this issue isn’t isolated to this particular vehicle. And that authorities are dealing with EVs catching fire all over Southwest Florida.

It’s a well-established fact that lithium and water aren’t friends. If you look at videos about the chemical reaction between a simple AA battery submerged in a bowl of water, you’d be amazed. Now bring that up to scale with the massive batteries inside any EV, add tons of salt water that do extensive damage to them, and you end up with a recipe for disaster.

Luckily this time, the damages were only in material form, and no one got injured. Part of the firefighters stayed on the scene for a couple of hours after initially putting out the Tesla, to make sure it didn’t spontaneously combust again.

This isn’t the first case when an electric vehicle catches fire in the wake of a flood or under similar circumstances. There have been numerous accounts in the past that even had less apparent reasons for bursting into flames.

Four months ago, a damaged Tesla Model S suffered a similar fate in a junkyard, three weeks after it crashed. Other cases were documented in Germany, Shanghai, San Francisco, and Hong Kong, all from 2019.

The firefighters are facing a real problem here with the actual method of putting the fire out. Given that lithium batteries are set ablaze by water alone, some changes within the fire departments are sure to occur in the future, regarding the substance used for dousing the fire.

To avoid similar incidents, state officials are asking EV owners that had their cars flooded in salt water to get them towed away from structures, where damage to other property could occur.
Hurricane Ian Floods Are Causing Electric Vehicles to Burst Into Flames (autoevolution.com)
Old 10-07-2022, 11:20 AM
Team Owner

I swear i have heard of this before..... maybe this time a year ago?
Comfy (10-08-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 08:14 AM
Race Director

When Tesla was building Giga Grünheide, it wanted a 4680 cell factory there as well. After all, the German plant would test a “lot of new technology,” as Elon Musk tweeted in 2020. On November 26, 2021, Tesla withdrew its application for subsidies for a battery plant there: it would not be eligible, and the process slowed the factory approval. Now the EV maker is moving the machines to make cells from Germany to Texas.
0 photos

The reason is not that the company gave up on the cell plant there for good or that it wants to seize the new federal tax credit created in the U.S. by the Inflation Reduction Act. The energy crisis in Germany also would not explain the decision. According to Handelsblatt, it has only postponed the factory because the dry battery electrode coating (DBE) technology is still not ready for production – which is a lame excuse if you consider the bigger picture.

We have already told our readers about that: all teardowns made of the 4680 cell show that it is just a large and ordinary NMC 811 cell. If the lack of the DBE tech were enough to prevent them from hitting production lines, the Texan Model Y would not have these cells in the first place. If it is suitable for American customers, why is it not the right choice for Europeans?

Handelsblatt spoke to five experts, two of whom are close to Tesla, and heard that DBE is “running quite successfully, but that implementation in large series is lacking.” That is like saying something is ready for the market, but you have no idea how to manufacture it in volumes that will make it economically feasible. In practical terms, you are still far from having a product.

That said, Tesla could be waiting to be eligible for German subsidies to make its factory. Elon Musk could also be afraid of the nuclear bombs Vladimir Putin is threatening to use to attack Ukraine even more and is placing expensive battery manufacturing machines in a safer location. Tesla could also be willing to put all efforts into the new American federal tax credit or to save some money in doing so.

At this point, only Tesla could answer its reason for carrying these machines to Texas. What matters to European buyers is that the German Model Y will have Chinese cells, which the Chinese vehicles they used to buy already presented. Will it make sense to have a factory just to make a few units of the Model Y? Perhaps Giga Grünheide will remain as a “gigantic money furnace” for more time than new factories usually do.
Tesla Is Moving Machinery to Make 4680 Cells from Germany to Texas (autoevolution.com)
Old 10-19-2022, 06:02 AM
Race Director

Tesla owners in cold climate regions have complained about the frozen door handles preventing them from entering the car. Now, Tesla finally decided to offer a remote door opening via the Tesla app, which could prove a godsend in a blizzard.
6 photos

Tesla Model Y and Model 3 are especially prone to freezing door handles due to their shape. And when they freeze, they become stuck, making it impossible to unlatch the door and enter the cabin. Winter is coming, so Tesla chose the perfect timing to update their app with a very useful feature: remote opening of the driver’s door.

The new “Unlatch Door” function rolled out last week, and Tesla owner Trevor Page described how it could be used. First, the feature needs to be added to the quick controls panel in the Tesla app. After that, pressing the button will pop out the driver’s door, even when the door handle is frozen. Remember that the window might still be stuck due to ice, so a little care doesn’t hurt.

The new feature works with Tesla 2022.36 and newer software versions in the car, and version 4.14 on the phone. This is only available on iOS for now, but Android users should get it soon. The phone needs to be set up as a Bluetooth key and within the car’s range to use the feature. This ensures that the door unlatch is not triggered by accident when you’re not around the vehicle.

Another nice addition for iOS users is the new lock screen widget. There are actually two widgets to choose from, both of them displaying the battery level. The smaller one is a circle that fills in based on the car’s state of charge. The larger widget offers more information, including the remaining range in miles or kilometers, depending on the app settings. This is in addition to the bar showing the state of charge.
Tesla Adds Clever Feature to Its App, Will Unlatch the Door When Handles Are Frozen (autoevolution.com)

Biker, who happened to drive by Tesla HQ in CA last week where this kind of gimmickry is being developed.
Old 10-19-2022, 08:08 AM

Received 5,565 Likes on 3,798 Posts
But, if the pop out handles are frozen shut, odds are the door is frozen too?
Remote 'start' to pre-heat the cabin & de-ice the door jambs?
Old 10-19-2022, 10:01 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
But, if the pop out handles are frozen shut, odds are the door is frozen too?
Remote 'start' to pre-heat the cabin & de-ice the door jambs?
Probably not, the door is a lot bigger and has rubber seals so it would take a lot more to freeze the door shut than it would to freeze the handle.

I've personally never had either happen though so there's that. I also park my car inside at home but it's outside if I'm at the office.
Old 10-20-2022, 11:49 AM
Race Director

Tesla Full Self-Driving software started two years ago as a Beta program for selected owners, even though the FSD capability has been sold to many people. During the Q3 2022 earnings call, Elon Musk said that the FSD Beta wide release is slated for the end of the year.
7 photos

Of course, coming from Musk, this should be taken with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, since Musk spoke to investors about that, we expect to have more weight than the previous “hopefully next year” vague timeline that Tesla CEO offered in the past. Musk was pretty specific this time, saying that the FSD’s wide release is scheduled “about a month from now.” That or “by the end of the year” is good enough for investors.

According to Tesla Shareholder Deck, there are 160,000 participants in the FSD Beta program. The cumulative miles driven with FSD Beta has skyrocketed in the past year to nearly 60 million miles since the program launched in October 2020. This is almost double the amount driven when Tesla released a similar report in July. The wide release to anyone who purchased the FSD capability would only make this grow exponentially during 2023.

Make no mistake, the wide rollout of the FSD Beta program does not equal FSD getting out of Beta and becoming the autonomous driving feature that Musk has promised for many years. Tesla still needs to prove to the regulators what the FSD software can do and get them on board. Until then, it will remain a beta program, and the drivers are fully-responsible for supervising FSD actions.

Nevertheless, Musk reiterated during the conference that he still believes Tesla can achieve full self-driving. The FSD software should be able to provide customers with a generally hands-free solution for driving, with very few, if any, interventions from the drivers. That is if they bought the Full Self-Driving capability when they ordered their Tesla. This costs now $15,000 in the U.S., although Musk has indicated that he is willing to raise the price once the FSD becomes production-ready.
Tesla FSD Beta Slated for Wide Release in North America by the End of the Year (autoevolution.com)
Old 10-20-2022, 11:54 AM
Race Director

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has revealed new details about the company’s upcoming vehicle platform, which will be the third after the large one underpinning the Model S and X and the compact one used by the Model 3 and Y.

During Tesla's Q3 2022 earnings call Musk said that the next platform will be smaller in size than the Model 3/Y platform and roughly half the cost. Musk's comments came during the Q&A session (listen to the audio webcast in the video above), when Tesla executives were asked about any potential developments for the next generation of vehicles.

The question from a retail investor mentioned the spectacular drop in cost from the Model S/X platform to the Model 3/Y platform, which allowed Tesla to enter the much larger segment of more affordable vehicles.

In this context, the question was about when Tesla expects to release its third platform and what level of cost reduction the company thinks it can achieve. Elon Musk replied that while there are no exact dates for the launch yet, it is "the primary focus of the new vehicle development team."

He then went on to talk costs and production volumes, noting that the next-generation Tesla vehicle would be produced in volumes that outshine the Model 3 and Model Y—which made up 95 percent of the company's total deliveries in Q3 2022.
What's more, the executive added that the new model would surpass production of all other Tesla vehicles combined."The next-generation vehicle will be about half the cost of the 3/Y platform and it will be smaller. It will, I think, certainly exceed the production of all other vehicles combined."
The CEO explained that it will cost the same to build two units of the next-gen Tesla vehicle than it currently costs to build a single Model 3, and that "we do believe this can be done."

Musk's comments have obviously sparked discussions of the rumored $25,000 Tesla EV yet again. While production costs of the smaller model are expected to be half of Model 3/Y costs, that doesn't necessarily mean the vehicle will be priced 50 percent lower than the Model 3, which currently starts at $48,490 in the US. Still, given the cheaper platform, smaller dimensions and economies of scale, it should significantly undercut the Model 3.

The launch date is anyone's guess at the moment, but it's safe to assume the entry-level EV won't arrive until Tesla will have fully ramped up Cybertruck and Semi production. That may not happen before 2024—unless Tesla China, which is reportedly responsible for the project's development, gets the green light to bring the model to market sooner.
Tesla's Next Platform To Be Smaller, Half The Cost Of Model 3/Y (insideevs.com)
Comfy (10-20-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 12:54 PM

I suspect it'll be ready around 2028, after 28 more price hikes to the 3. So expect a base price of $42k
Old 10-20-2022, 01:33 PM
Ex-OEM King

^ This.

I doubt we'll see the cyber truck until late 2024 at best. Then they have the roadster as well at some point before doing this...and finding the production capacity to make it too.
Old 10-20-2022, 01:57 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
I suspect it'll be ready around 2028,
Given the last sentence in that article combined with the sharp drop off in the order backlog in China (and production ramp in Giga Berlin), it may happen before then.
Old 10-20-2022, 02:58 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by biker
Given the last sentence in that article combined with the sharp drop off in the order backlog in China (and production ramp in Giga Berlin), it may happen before then.
Order backlog =/= R&D and process development time
Old 10-20-2022, 03:43 PM
Race Director

Order backlog =/= R&D and process development time
I suspect they've been working on it for a while already and fairly shortly they'll have the capacity on the assembly line to make it. Also, it could be that to start, it may be a China only model so development (like the building of the Giga Shanghai factory) is on a different time scale than a US/world model.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:53 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Old 10-20-2022, 08:39 PM
Ex-OEM King

I suspect they've been working on it for a while already and fairly shortly they'll have the capacity on the assembly line to make it. Also, it could be that to start, it may be a China only model so development (like the building of the Giga Shanghai factory) is on a different time scale than a US/world model.
Maybe but generally speaking Tesla isn't shy about showing things off LONG before they should be shown off. The Cybertruck and the Roadster come to mind.

It's a huge benefit for them to show it off and have a bunch of sheeple preorder it. Basically free money.
Old 10-21-2022, 06:46 AM
Race Director

Maybe but generally speaking Tesla isn't shy about showing things off LONG before they should be shown off. The Cybertruck and the Roadster come to mind.
Generally speaking, pre-order/deposit money can't be used for anything else (escrowed for refunds when people cancel - Roadster is a special case). Also, if the cost to make and perhaps pricing of this model is as the message implies, the profit margin will be a lot less than the current models - perhaps not something to mention too early, especially during an investor call. I imagine this model being a stripped down and a simple downsizing of the 3, so development may not be as involved as other models.

Last edited by biker; 10-21-2022 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-21-2022, 01:50 PM
Team Owner

Generally speaking, pre-order/deposit money can't be used for anything else (escrowed for refunds when people cancel - Roadster is a special case). Also, if the cost to make and perhaps pricing of this model is as the message implies, the profit margin will be a lot less than the current models - perhaps not something to mention too early, especially during an investor call. I imagine this model being a stripped down and a simple downsizing of the 3, so development may not be as involved as other models.
The key word is Generally.... General rules dont apply to Lord Elon Musk.
Also Generally it is the dealerships that collect the deposit, so other manuf, can't realistically use it for anything.. . But Tesla is a collecting the deposit themselves...

He has been collecting $12k for the non-existent FSD. I dont see how he would be any different with customer's deposit $ on the cars.
Old 10-21-2022, 06:26 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
He has been collecting $12k for the non-existent FSD. I don't see how he would be any different with customer's deposit $ on the cars.
One is a purchase of a feature (regardless if it works or not) the other is usually governed by SEC rules. Also, we're not talking about a traditional deposit which is a prepayment for an existing product and irrevocable purchase of a thing, but a reservation fee - basically paying for a place in line. Because those are refundable at any time, they are supposed to be escrowed and not mixed with general operating funds (if the company goes under funds are available to provide refunds).
Comfy (11-11-2022)
Old 11-11-2022, 01:04 PM
Sanest Florida Man

With more than a decade of use and 20 billion EV charging miles to its name, the Tesla charging connector is the most proven in North America, offering AC charging and up to 1 MW DC charging in one slim package. It has no moving parts, is half the size, and twice as powerful as Combined Charging System (CCS) connectors.

In pursuit of our mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy, today we are opening our EV connector design to the world. We invite charging network operators and vehicle manufacturers to put the Tesla charging connector and charge port, now called the North American Charging Standard (NACS), on their equipment and vehicles. NACS is the most common charging standard in North America: NACS vehicles outnumber CCS two-to-one, and Tesla's Supercharging network has 60% more NACS posts than all the CCS-equipped networks combined.
​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​This is great news!
Old 11-11-2022, 02:35 PM
Ex-OEM King

IDGAF about the connector, open the supercharger network instead.
Old 11-11-2022, 08:27 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
So what…... If the connector is opened to public, others automakers/ third party vendors can also make a connector for any car to fit in Tesla superchargers, right?
Does it mean all cars can now access the Tesla superchargers?
Old 11-11-2022, 08:54 PM
Ex-OEM King

No. Supercharger has to handshake with the car. They've made CCS to Tesla adapters for years and you still can't charge a non-Tesla at a supercharger.
Old 11-12-2022, 12:37 PM

I don't care which direction charging goes as long as there is a standardized connector. If it's Tesla, cool. If it's CCS, cool. But every EV should use the same thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by civicdrivr:
00TL-P3.2 (11-14-2022), Mizouse (11-16-2022)

Quick Reply: Tesla: Development and Technology News