Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 01:41 AM
Kabachitare!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super Bowl commercial starring monkey showcases Magnum's brawn

Super Bowl commercial showcases Magnum's brawn

Spot starring monkey teases March launch of DaimlerChrysler sport wagon

By Brett Clanton / The Detroit News

Chrysler has chosen the Super Bowl and its billion-viewer platform as the coming out party for its new Dodge Magnum muscle wagon.

DaimlerChrysler AG’s Chrysler Group will spotlight its 2005 Dodge Magnum sports wagon in a 30-second commercial airing during Super Bowl XXXVIII Sunday.

The ad — known as “Monkey on Your Back” — goes something like this: A guy is shopping for a new vehicle and is torn between a sports car and an SUV. The decision weighs on him, becoming a burdensome monkey on his back — until he sees the Magnum, a spacious wagon with heat under its hood, and the monkey is lifted.

“It’s in line with some of the past Hemi commercials,” said Chrysler spokesman Jason Vines, referring to popular ads featuring the automaker’s V8 Hemi engines. “It’s funny as hell, but it tells about the product.”

Chrysler previously said it planned a Dodge ad during the Super Bowl but did not provide details.

The Magnum debuted at the 2004 North American International Auto Show early this month, but the Super Bowl ad will introduce the sport wagon to an estimated 130 million U.S. viewers and 1 billion people worldwide.

The spot, which Chrysler said is a teaser for a broader campaign later, will run early in the first quarter of the game but won’t give the full spiel on the vehicle.

The Magnum is scheduled to reach showrooms in late March. It is the first all-new mass-market Dodge car since the 1998 merger between Germany’s Daimler-Benz and Chrysler Corp.

Base models will begin at $22,495, while fully outfitted versions, equipped with a 5.7-liter V8 Hemi, will go for $29,995.

“It’s going to be primarily marketed to males,” Chrysler spokesman James Kenyon said. In part, that’s why the Super Bowl is an ideal advertising venue.

A 30-second commercial during the SuperBowl is estimated to cost $2.25 million this year.

Jim Arrigo, outgoing chairman of the Dodge Dealer Council, said the money is well spent on getting the word out about the Magnum.

“But I don’t know if it will slow anybody from buying a vehicle who’s in the market for something now,” he said.

You can reach Brett Clanton at (313) 222-2612 or bclanton@detnews.com.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:37 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

shit, if quality proves to be a non issue they may have a winner. hemi power and wagon space for about 30k? niiice
Old 01-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Any recent pics?
Old 01-28-2004, 05:26 PM
Kabachitare!

One recent picture from the article is at:

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosins.../b01-48120.htm

It's kinda of a small picture though.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:27 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn Dodge loves that grill.

Not to bad looking at all though. I could see some moms driving them around. Not sure if a lot of guys would take to the wagon theme but for a family car it'd be sweet.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:49 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

Originally posted by Chaptorial
Damn Dodge loves that grill.

Not to bad looking at all though. I could see some moms driving them around. Not sure if a lot of guys would take to the wagon theme but for a family car it'd be sweet.
i actually think that guys will eat this up as long as it performs as i think it will. its a pretty butch looking wagon, its got a tough name, and of course HEMI POWER (sweeeeeeeet.) moms will always prefer the Caravan and Durango, its just a natural constant.

btw, that grill is their tm. its like BMWs kindey grill or the mercedes emblem on the hood or what Audi is going to do. its just brand identity, make it stand out more. its not a bad looking grill, i love it on the new Ram. thats one of the better looking trucks when fully loaded (read as "with the optional 20s")
Old 01-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

I used to really like Dodge as I had an Intrepid when it first came out. I was highly disappointed by the reliability of the car over time, and the company overall. I was really looking forward to a resurgance, but after sitting in the Magnum and 300C at the Detroit auto show, I was HIGHLY disappointed.

The Magnum is a total POS on the interior. The door panel was already falling off, the buttons felt worse than some of the old school GM interiors. Overall, it feels VERY junky.

Believe me or not, but once many of you actually sit in this car, you will see what I mean. I am a big fan of seeing Detroit come back, but with this car, it's not happening on the Dodge/Chrysler end yet IMO
Old 01-28-2004, 09:15 PM
Kabachitare!

I know this is off-topic, but Italionstallion, who is that girl on your avatar anyways? She is hot!!!!