Subaru: Impreza News

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 12:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,428 Likes on 1,878 Posts
Everytime I make peace with the wheel arch cladding, I see the rear bumper and throw up all over again.,
Old 12-22-2021, 01:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
So not only it is ugly, it doesnt drive as good and you have to get CVT if you want the options you wanted? Dafuq? It is almost as if Subaru had some kind of collaboration with Acura

When my friend got his current gen WRX, even at the base model trim. it was a great driving car with great manual, decent power and $25k... yes the interior looked like it was from the 90s but the car drove great. Surprisingly it was very light on its feet...

This new one

Last edited by oonowindoo; 12-22-2021 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-23-2021, 09:18 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,947 Posts
Well it looks like it took a bunch of weird styling cues from the CTR so maybe they are following Honda's lead?
Old 12-23-2021, 09:25 AM

Received 5,411 Likes on 3,702 Posts
We'll see what the STI brings, but this just doesn't say 'rally[-esque] car with license plates' like prior gens did.
Much more tame, and the reports of an uninspiring drive don't help. Plus the odd options requirements of CVT, on a sports car
Old 12-23-2021, 09:01 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
OMG. Looks like a teenager designed the car. Maybe they are trying their best to stay relevant in today’s changing world.
Old 12-24-2021, 12:12 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Old 02-03-2022, 09:25 AM

https://jalopnik.com/the-all-new-sub...s-m-1848458640

From an engineering perspective, Subaru is mainly known for two things, weather conquering all-wheel drive and a commitment to using horizontally-opposed (flat/boxer) engines. However, the most recent application, Subaru’s 2.4-liter turbo flat-four, in the 2022 WRX has resulted in some disappointing fuel economy.

The all-new 2022 WRX is a bit of a mixed bag, as our review found the car a bit too “grown-up for its own good.” The interior, which has always been an area of criticism, is a nicer place to be. The exterior styling is in some ways more toned down, but also more controversial with the addition of the black-plastic fender cladding.

And despite using a larger 2.4-liter turbocharged motor over the older 2.0-liter, the 2022 model only gains about three more ponies under the hood but retains the same amount of torque. You would think a car that is using some updated engineering and seems to be trying to court a more “mature” buyer would get some respectable MPG. That is not the case.

The EPA released the fuel economy figures for the 2022 WRX and this car is awful thirsty for a compact sedan with a four-banger under the hood. Below is a comparison between the 2022 WRX 6MT, the 2021 WRX 6MT, a 2018 Focus RS, and the 2021 STI.

In fairness, the last WRX wasn’t super efficient either and the STI is very thirsty, but what I found most interesting is that the 2022 WRX has identical fuel economy numbers to the Focus RS. Keep in mind the Focus had an output of 350 horsepower and weighed about 100 lbs more.

When you compare the 2022 WRX to its sport-compact competition the MPG gap becomes even wider. Below is a comparison between the Hyundai Veloster N 6MT, Civic Type R 6MT, 2022 Golf R 6MT, and 2022 Golf GTI 6MT. With the exception of the Golf R which is heavier, but does produce more horsepower than the WRX, these other cars are lighter with lower outputs.
Since the new WRX utilizes the 2.4 turbo motor also found in larger Subaru models, I ran a comparison between the automatic WRX and its stablemates, in addition to an interesting wildcard

D
espite being substantially larger, the Ascent and Outback still get better MPG than their compact cousin and the 2022 WRX is just one MPG difference away from an F-150 pickup equipped with a 2.7-liter turbo motor.I asked Subaru if there was an explanation as to why the EPA numbers for the 2022 WRX were so low and this is what they said
​​​​​​​“2022 WRX models equipped with the Subaru Performance Transmission also include SI-Drive, an engine management system which includes three driver-selectable modes (Intelligent, Sport, and Sport Sharp) that change parameters such as throttle response and transmission shift behavior to provide a driving experience that matches the preference of drivers. Given the performance focus of the WRX, the default operation mode was chosen as Sport, and the vehicle was tested for fuel economy in that setting. For drivers desiring a smoother driving experience and increased fuel economy, the Intelligent setting is available and can be set as the default mode of operation.

In addition to the above, the Variable Torque Distribution (VTD) Symmetrical AWD system on WRX models equipped with the Subaru Performance Transmission is a performance-focused AWD system that continuously applies torque to all four wheels. It is not a ‘part-time’ or ‘on-demand’ system. Under most conditions, this AWD system uses a 45:55 torque split, with the rear-wheel bias contributing to handling agility.”
Perhaps if you aren’t pretending to be Colin McCrae when you go pick up your kids from school you can get some better efficiency in “Intelligent” mode. I honestly don’t think anyone buying a WRX is doing so because they want a fuel sipper. However, you would hope that when the engineers make an all-new version of a model they improve it in all aspects, even fuel economy, and not take a step backward

The following users liked this post:
Legend2TL (03-14-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 02:08 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,472 Likes on 929 Posts
Another reason to stay far away from the WRX right now.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:05 PM
Team Owner

I personally dont mind the lower MPG as long as the performance goes up.... an increase of .4L displacement resulted in 3hp increase (0 in torque) and lower MPG is BS...

Old 03-11-2022, 05:35 PM
Safety Car

Well that kind of sucks https://www.thedrive.com/news/44717/...an-sti-version
Old 03-14-2022, 12:41 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Sucks but good too so I can't even consider buying one.
Old 03-14-2022, 02:09 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1
Sucks but good too so I can't even consider buying one.
Problem now is that CTR and Golf R markups is going to be even more nuts with one less option for buyers.
Old 03-14-2022, 03:55 PM
Team Owner

I hope Subaru will soon realize just how badly they fucked up the WRX...both inside and out...

Realizing a mistake is made is the first step to a solution.
Old 03-14-2022, 04:49 PM

^ Sort of like the 9G Civic that got immediately refreshed after just over 1 year?
RPhilMan1 (03-15-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 06:30 PM
Team Owner

I hope so...

The only upgrade i see is its interior.... which is probably very low on the priority list of WRX buyers...

and the equipment list... like if you want adaptive suspension you have to get the CVT? They need some soul searching on what makes a WRX a WRX...
Old 03-14-2022, 06:34 PM
Team Owner

What makes it worse? No more STi at least for now.

So you are stuck with this WTF cladding WRX with less performance and a CVT if you want anything performance related items.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...his-generation

Old 03-14-2022, 10:03 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Problem now is that CTR and Golf R markups is going to be even more nuts with one less option for buyers.
They were already going to be beyond insane...
Old 03-15-2022, 12:31 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Originally Posted by fiatlux
We'll see since the main gripes on the R are the lack of physical buttons and buried menu options... maybe that will keep some buyers away.

And the CTR already has its own self-imposed limitations.

A quick cars.com search came up with 29 new Golf Rs and only two appear to have a listed markup. Now we'll see if those dealers that list it at sticker will honor that price or not, as well as the listings without a price. As more Rs get delivered, I would imagine at some point we are going to have more stock available than buyers willing to snatch them all up.

I don't know when I'll start the serious buying process but sooner than later and I'll let you know how it goes.

What happened when the Focus ST and RS left? Doesn't seem like it really affected the market all that much. I think Golf R and STi buyers can be pretty different as well. Actually I can see the lack of an STi affecting the CTR way more than the Golf R.

And maybe with these high gas prices and talk of a potential recession, new car shoppers might not be willing to accept these inflated prices.
Old 05-05-2022, 06:37 AM
Race Director

Received 627 Likes on 505 Posts
We’ve entered a new era of new-but-not-so-different enthusiast cars. Whether it’s a Blackwing, a GR86 or a Fairlady, “new” has taken on a different meaning. Take the 2022 Subaru WRX. Its platform is “new” even though it debuted six years ago on the standard Impreza. Its engine is “new” even though it shares most of its architecture with the smaller boxer it replaced. Its sheet metal is "new" even though, at least apart from the rather deliberately in-your-face plastic fender cladding, it’s pretty hard to tell the difference.

Last year, I praised the WRX’s poise and balance, and I dinged it for its perhaps-too-short gearing — oh, and the fact that it can’t be equipped with the adaptive suspension or drive mode selection systems that were firewalled behind the new GT trim. “STI is coming,” I said. Yeah, sorry about that.

You probably know the rest: Subaru came along with the internal-combustion STI’s death certificate and turned the whole formula on its ear. So, this is it — the only way to get a manual, gasoline-powered Impreza. And, so far at least, Subaru has no intention of offering it with all the bells and whistles that will be available on the new, CVT-only WRX GT. That means Subaru has put all of its AWD enthusiast eggs into this single World Rally Blue basket.

They’re some reasonably shiny eggs, at least. Its new 2.4-liter boxer-four makes 271 horsepower and 259 pound-feet of torque. Subaru says the larger engine offers a much broader torque curve than the one it replaces. All of that goes through a six-speed manual gearbox (in this case, anyway) and standard all-wheel drive.

And while the roads I traversed in northern California last year were far from immaculate, they have nothing on the cratered suggestions of old infrastructure that pass for roads in greater Detroit. Subaru said the WRX’s new, stiffer chassis allowed them to soften the ride. We already know that it didn’t dull the WRX’s reflexes any; time to see if it paid dividends in ride comfort.

But first, I have to confess something: I’ve never really been a huge fan of the WRX. Sure, it’s great on paper and I’ve always enjoyed turbocharged sport compacts, but every time I’ve piloted a plain-Jane WRX, I’ve found it underwhelming. Blame it on the Impreza’s characteristically rough edges, the parasitic loss of the AWD drivetrain or the ho-hum interiors, take your pick, but I’ve just never been that fond of the experience.

Even after the NorCal jaunt, I wrote off my better-than-expected impressions to the fact that Subaru had a great deal of control over our driving environment. Here, close to home (and 500 miles from Subaru’s New Jersey headquarters), they’d have no such opportunity. Surely, I figured, the spell would be broken. Not so.

In fact, the chassis and suspension improvements are even more obvious here. The WRX shrugs off Michigan’s broken pavement admirably and without excessive complaint from its traction or stability control systems, even in the wet. And while first and second gear may be short, the all-wheel-drive system encourages you to use them to their fullest extent. Plus, Subaru did an excellent job keeping the WRX’s drivetrain lash in check, so you won’t feel like you’re trying to break a horse if you have to modulate the throttle aggressively at higher RPM.

For the first time, driving a WRX truly clicked. In fact, I began to enjoy it perhaps a little too much, digging in from just about every stop and ham-fistedly applying power out of corners. The stereotypical midwestern AWD sport compact driver may be a dying breed by simple virtue of the fact that the requisite cars are fewer and farther between, but a new one was very nearly created deep in the Autoblog lab.

Now, the bad news. The WRX has the same infotainment options as the Outback: a bizarre dual-screen setup for the base trim level we haven’t sampled, and this Limited trim’s portrait-style single touchscreen. While certainly better than past Subaru efforts, it’s still far from perfect. In my first experience with the system, I found the UI to be crowded and unintuitive, and it includes some quirky features that make the learning curve especially punishing. Screen responsiveness is merely so-so, with some on-screen elements requiring multiple presses to register. And if you take too long to navigate a sub-menu it will simply vanish, assuming that you became distracted and no longer needed whatever brought you there in the first place. Honestly, the smaller screens and accompanying UI found in the Ascent, Forester and Crosstrek might be better.

The manual-equipped WRX also does without the EyeSight suite of driver assistance tech (as does the manual BRZ). So if you want adaptive cruise control, lane-departure warning or a little extra help in detecting oncoming deer, it’s the CVT for you — whenever Subaru gets around to building some, that is. Its introduction was staggered (likely due to ongoing chip shortage issues) and we've yet to hear exactly when to expect the loaded-up GT model apart from "soon."

Subaru will always be a little rough around the edges, but the new WRX brings enough to the table to make the trade-offs worthwhile. We’d still love to see the adaptive suspension migrate down to the manual-transmission WRX, but as fixed steel setups go, this one’s hard to beat. For my money, I’m probably still looking at the BRZ sitting next to it in the showroom, but for once I wouldn’t fault you for going the other way. The WRX is now the king of Subaru's rally-inspired sport compacts, and until an electrified STI arrives, this is probably about as "new" as performance cars from our favorite all-wheel-drive brand will get.
2022 Subaru WRX Road Test Review | Subie's new turbo top dog | Autoblog
Old 05-05-2022, 01:34 PM
Team Owner

I finally saw 1 on the road the other day.. yup.. it is as bad as pictures. The plastic "overbite" is all i could see
Old 11-10-2022, 04:32 PM

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/11/20...t-weeks-debut/

One week after publishing a cryptic teaser showing the silhouette of the 2024 Subaru Impreza, the automaker is back with a more revealing shot. Subaru also confirmed that the all-new compact hatchback will debut on November 17 as part of the 2022 Los Angeles auto show.

The new generation of the Impreza is expected to be a road-focused version of the recently updated Subaru Crosstrek, as evidenced by the la

test teaser revealing a fair bit of the front bumper. The headlights look identical to the ones on the Crosstrek, but the Impreza has a different grille and less plastic cladding on the bumper. We also expect a lower ride height compared to the crossover, for a more traditional hatchback look.

Subaru has been coy on details but through its official website promises the new Impreza will “take the model’s up-for-anything versatility, capability, and style to new places”. The model will sit on a revised version of the Subaru Global Platform which underpins the new Crosstrek as well as the larger WRX and the Levorg, bringing increased rigidity and improved NVH. Engine options are expected to include an electrified 2.0-liter e-Boxer, and possibly a naturally aspirated 2.5-liter unit.

The launch of the 2024 Subaru Impreza from the 2022 Los Angeles Auto Show on Thursday, November 17 will be streamed live. The event will be co-hosted by professional skateboarder and rallycross driver Bucky Lasek and his daughter Paris Lasek.

​​​​​​​

Old 11-17-2022, 03:38 PM

https://www.netcarshow.com/subaru/2024-impreza/

Subaru of America, Inc. revealed to the world the all-new 2024 Impreza at the 2022 Los Angeles Auto Show. The sixth-generation Impreza receives an all-new design, improved performance, enhanced safety features, and updated multimedia technology. Also new for 2024 is the RS trim featuring a 2.5-liter SUBARU BOXER® engine, exclusive 18-inch wheels and unique exterior and interior elements.

The Impreza debuted 30 years ago at the 1992 Los Angeles Auto Show, offering customers a value-packed compact car with available Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive. A pioneer in the compact car segment, Impreza was the only vehicle at the time to offer all-wheel drive. The Impreza also laid the foundation for the legendary Subaru WRX, the performance car with rally championships spanning four decades.

The 2024 Impreza lineup receives a sporty new look and comes standard with the latest generation of EyeSight® Driver Assist Technology. The SUBARU STARLINK 11.6-inch Multimedia Plus system is available for the first time on Impreza and comes equipped with wireless Apple CarPlay® and wireless Android™ Auto. The system also offers on-screen controls for audio, climate, and vehicle features.

For 2024, Subaru has streamlined the Impreza model line to greater emphasize the vehicle's sportiness, versatility and capability. The Impreza is now available in Base, Sport and new RS trim levels. The compact car comes exclusively as a 5-door hatchback when it arrives in Subaru retailers in the US in spring 2023.

Performance and Handling

The 2024 Subaru Impreza has been designed around the concept of utility and sportiness that lends itself to an active lifestyle. Standard across the model line is a revised Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive system offering a faster response time, more agile handling and better cornering. The all-wheel drive system is further enhanced with standard Active Torque Vectoring.

The Base and Sport trims are equipped with a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder direct-injection SUBARU BOXER® engine producing 152-hp and 145 lb.-ft. of torque. The new RS upgrades to a 2.5-liter BOXER engine delivering an impressive 182 hp and 178 lb.-ft. of torque. Standard on all trim levels is a Lineartronic CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission). The Sport and RS trims feature an 8-speed manual mode with steering wheel paddle shifters that allow the driver to control the transmission via eight pre-set ratios.

The 2024 Impreza also receives a version of the WRX sport car's dual-pinion electronic power steering rack, offering more direct and natural steering feel and greater responsiveness.

The Sport and RS trim levels are equipped with the SI-Drive performance management system, 18-inch alloy wheels and a sport-tuned suspension to maximize performance and handling.

New Design and Updated Chassis

The Subaru Global Platform for the 2024 Impreza has been enhanced with 10-percent higher torsional rigidity. A full inner frame construction and additional structural adhesive (from 26.2 feet to 88.5 feet) contribute to better body rigidity and lighter weight. These updates deliver an improved dynamic performance, smoother ride, and quieter cabin.

The cabin benefits from an enhanced focus on the occupants and their interaction with the vehicle. A more supportive front seat design increases overall comfort and minimizes fatigue. A focused effort on reducing sounds within particular frequency ranges results in a quieter and more comfortable cabin. The modern, clean interior design features a prominent center information display with highly visual controls as well as ample head and leg room and storage space.

Safety

Standard on all 2024 Impreza models is the latest version of the award-winning EyeSight® Driver Assist Technology. The enhanced system operates smoother, faster, and under a greater range of conditions. These improvements are thanks to a wider field of view, updated control software, and the addition of an electric brake booster. EyeSight can now identify bicycles and pedestrians at intersections sooner and, when necessary, alerts the driver and applies brakes to avoid collisions.

Automatic Emergency Steering is included on models equipped with Blind-Spot Detection with Lane Keep Assist and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert. The safety feature works with EyeSight and Blind-Spot Detection to assist with steering control to help avoid a collision at speeds less than 50 mph.

Standard Rear Seat Reminder is designed to help prevent child and/or pet entrapment by alerting the driver to check the rear seat before exiting the vehicle.

Throughout its 30-year history, Impreza has received safety awards from trusted organizations including the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The outgoing five-door Subaru Impreza was named a 2022 IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK (with optional EyeSight and specific headlights). This marks the 15th consecutive year the compact car has earned this award (2007-2022) and includes the highest possible rating of "Superior" for frontal crash prevention from IIHS. Subaru anticipates the all-new 2024 Impreza will continue to deliver exemplary safety performance.

Comfort and Convenience

All trim levels feature power door locks, windows and side mirrors; welcome lighting; Remote Keyless Access; Tire Pressure Monitoring System with Individual Wheel Display; and 60/40 folding rear seats. The RS trim level has an available 10-way power front driver seat with lumbar support.

The vehicle's climate control system has been updated to focus on occupied seats, (vs. entire cabin) for improved comfort and fuel economy. Dual-zone heating/cooling control is standard across the model line.

The Sport trim adds the STARLINK 11.6-inch Multimedia Plus system with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, Keyless Access with Push-Button Start, and fog lights.

Subaru In-Vehicle Technology

For the first time, the SUBARU STARLINK® 11.6-inch Multimedia Plus system is available for Impreza. The 11.6-inch high-resolution touchscreen is equipped with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with full screen display. The multimedia system also works as a center information display with combination meter integration and on-screen controls for audio, climate, and vehicle functions. Additional features include Bluetooth® hands-free phone and audio streaming connectivity; AM/FM stereo; rear vision camera; SiriusXM® All-Access Radio and SiriusXM Travel Link® (4-month free Platinum Plan); HD Radio®; and over-the-air updates. The 11.6-inch Multimedia Plus is standard on Sport and RS trim levels.

The available SUBARU STARLINK™ Safety and Security Connected Services offer SOS Emergency Assistance, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Automatic Collision Notification, Maintenance Notifications, Monthly Vehicle Health Report and Diagnostic Alerts, Stolen Vehicle Recovery Service, Vehicle Security Alarm Notification. Available convenience features include Remote Lock/Unlock, Remote Horn and Lights and Remote Vehicle Locator. New services for Impreza include Valet Mode, Trip Log and Driving Journal, and Remote Vehicle Configuration.

2024 Subaru Impreza RS

The RS marks the return of the model's premier enthusiast-focused trim level. The 2.5 RS debuted in 1998 and was the precursor to the WRX in the U.S. Market. The new RS trim level comes standard with a powerful 2.5-liter BOXER engine paired with a Lineartronic CVT featuring an 8-speed manual mode with steering wheel paddle shifters.

The RS trim offers unique exterior trim elements including RS badging on the front doors and rear hatch; 18-inch alloy wheels in dark gray finish; black finish on the front grille, side spoilers, side mirrors, upgraded LED headlights, and LED fog lights.

The cabin of the RS is further distinguished by gunmetal and simulated carbon fiber interior trim accents as well as sport front seats in black cloth with red cloth bolsters, and carpeted floormats feature the RS logo. The RS also includes upgraded leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter, aluminum alloy pedals, heated front seats, and rear USB charge ports.

The top-of-the-line trim builds on the Sport and adds standard features including Blind-Spot Detection with Lane Change Assist and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert. Available exclusively on the RS is a Harman Kardon® 10-speaker system, Power Moonroof, and 10-way power front driver seat with lumbar support.

Old 11-17-2022, 03:38 PM

Not bad looking, a bit Corolla-ish IMO
Old 11-18-2022, 08:45 AM

Reading more.
Hatchback only. Can't remember the last time I saw an Impreza sedan outside of a WRX/STi
No manual
Gets 2.5 I4 from Crosstrek for RS model

Shame, a 2.5RS with a 5 or 6MT would be great, for those that don't want the high-riding Crosstrek 2.5
Old 11-21-2022, 11:32 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Not bad looking, a bit Corolla-ish IMO
Add a little bit of Ford focus as well.
Old 04-04-2023, 02:49 PM

https://jalopnik.com/2024-subaru-imp...ack-1850285733

Whenever I’m helping someone pick out a new car, I ask four questions: What do you need, what do you want, what don’t you want, and how much are you willing to spend? Those first two questions are important — they split the requirements from the desires, to make a prospective buyer think about what really matters to them. Subaru, it seems, asked its owners the same few questions when developing the 2024 Impreza.

Impreza buyers needto haul dogs, mountain bikes, kayaks — y’know, Subaru things — and the new wagon-only Impreza handles those needs well. But Subaru’s data says that buyers wantsportiness, engagement, something more fun to drive than a crossover. On that mark, the 2024 Impreza comes close — but makes you long for the real solution that Subaru won’t build.

The 2024 Impreza marks a new generation for the car, which means a whole host of changes. The bodywork is new, and it’s a nice evolutionary refinement on the older car’s looks. The old car’s 2.0-liter boxer engine returns, but its accompanying CVT has been given a broader range of ratios— and re-tuned to transmit less noise into the cabin. Subaru’s EyeSight system, too, has been upgraded with a wider field of view.

The Impreza’s interior has been upgraded with more sound deadening and new, anatomically-researched seats for added driver and passenger comfort. It also features more tech, in the form of an 11.6-inch portrait-oriented screen taking up the car’s entire center stack in the upper trims. Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto are part of that package, and the highest trim gets a Qi wireless smartphone charger in the center console.

Most notably, the Impreza lineup has been reworked to bring back the RS trim level. Subaru added some displacement to the model, giving it the 2.5-liter engine out of the Legacy, Outback, Forester, and Crosstrek, so it makes sense to harken back to the 2.5RS trims of old. By contrast, the luxurious Limited and plebian Premium trims are gone, leaving only Base, Sport, and the “big-block” RS.

The 2024 Impreza is available with the 2.o-liter flat-four making 152 horsepower and 145 lb-ft of torque, or the 2.5-liter in the RS that makes 182 hp and 178 lb-ft. Both are mated exclusively to a CVT, and send their power to all four wheels. The lightest version of the car, a base model with optional alloy wheels, weighs in at a claimed 3,167 pounds; the heaviest, a fully decked-out RS, comes in at 3,323 pounds.

Subaru cites an interesting statistic for the Impreza, not often highlighted on a gasoline-powered car: Range. The thinking is that Subie owners want to travel far out into the wilderness, but still need enough fuel onboard to get back. So, for the curious, the 2.0-liter cars, with their estimated 27 mpg city and 34 highway, can drive 500 miles on a single 16.6-gallon tank. The RS drops those estimated fuel economy ratings to 26 city/33 highway, and can’t quite make 500 miles on a tank.

The 2024 Impreza is more smoothed-over than the outgoing car, rounded off in a way that seems to echo Mazda. The roof slopes more towards the rear, the headlights are tucked closer into the body. The style is no less creased than the prior car, there’s no shortage of body lines, but they flow together more cohesively. It’s all been streamlined.

The looks are helped by the new-for-2024 Oasis Blue Pearl color seen in the first image on this article, which reintroduces the concept of bright, interesting colors to the Impreza. It’s a bit darker than Toyota’s Blue Flame, a bit flatter than Ford’s Nitrous Blue. If you’re buying an Impreza, skip the grays and whites. Just buy Oasis Blue Pearl, and enjoy your life more.

This is where Subaru wants the Impreza to stand out. The company’s research shows Impreza buyers do many of the same things as Crosstrek, Outback, or Forester owners — hiking, biking, dog-owning — but they want something that drives a little sportier. Those large-object-based hobbies require a hatchback or wagon, meaning the WRX – which has been sedan-only since 2014 – isn’t an option. The Impreza, and specifically the new Impreza RS, is the best those buyers can get within Subaru’s lineup.

That “best” isn’t bad. The Impreza’s handling punches above its weight class, feeling composed through high-speed rolling corners that would unsettle less-sporty models. The car’s steering, a new dual-pinion rack, is pleasantly weighted and surprisingly precise — a perfect recipe for slow-car-fast fun.

The engine, too, could hit that marker. The 2.5's 182 horsepower isn’t earth-shattering, but it’s entertaining enough to wring out — on the rare occasion the CVT lets you. That transmission, more than anything else, drags the car’s excitement level down. It’s often confused; refusing to hold revs despite mashing the “downshift” paddle in the twisties, yet sticking itself at 3,000 RPM to maintain speed on the highway. Floor the pedal out of a turn, and the CVT ponders the meaning of life for a minute before allowing you any increase in revs.

Take out the 11.6-inch center dash display, and you could be in any Subaru of the past few years — the chunky steering wheel buttons, the analog gauges astride a vertical center display. But, spend some more time in the Impreza, and you begin to see the results of those years of improvements. The plastics are nicer, there are more soft-touch materials around, and it overall feels like a nicer place to be.

Once you notice that, you start to notice the other choices — for better or for worse. Subaru could have done a digital dash, but the new Impreza sticks with analog speedo and tach — one that’s, admittedly, beginning to feel a bit dated. But, those big steering wheel buttons match oversized touchpoints on the center console and the sides of the giant screen — even onthat screen, the buttons are huge. Even the window switches are massive, everything is easy to locate and press with just a quick glance (or, likely, with gloves on). The Impreza’s interior may not win any sleekness awards, but it’s pleasantly usable.

That’s not to say it’s perfect. The Harmon Kardon stereo in the RS model would be underwhelming even without that high-dollar badge — it’s begging for a subwoofer — and despite Subaru’s claims of added sound deadening, a surprising amount of tire noise makes its way to the cabin. But for a base price of $22,995, or even my fully-loaded tester’s $29,955 sticker, those foibles are forgivable.

The world of wagons is ever-shrinking, as is the world of reasonably-sized passenger cars. The Impreza goes up against the Civic and Corolla (both available as hatchbacks), as well as the sedan-only Hyundai Elantra and Kia Forte. Of those, the Impreza sits comfortably in the middle on price — certainly more expensive than the Korean competition, but cheaper than the other Japanese brands (if only by $10, in the Corolla’s case).

Yet, out of all these, only the Impreza and Forte lack a high-performance variant. Hyundai has its Elantra N, Toyota has the GR Corolla, and Honda gives us both the Civic Si and Type R. The WRX sedan competes with the Elantra N, sure, but Subaru has nothing to throw at the hot hatches from Honda or Toyota.

And that’s where the questions start to arise. The five-door Impreza has a great chassis and competent-enough suspension, let down by a drivetrain package that doesn’t have much interest in fun. Subaru wants this car to appeal to performance-minded buyers, people who intentionally eschew the more all-terrain-capable Crosstrek for a better driving experience, but the company still won’t give it a performance-oriented engine and transmission.

The Impreza hatchback, then, is a tease. It shows off the capability of the car’s newly-stiffened chassis, but makes you dream of a vehicle you just can’t buy. There’s a perfect all-around car hidden within Subaru’s lineup, an unbeatable mix of enjoyment and practicality, but its parts are split between two different product lines.

The Impreza is a comfortable daily driver, a more than competent way to get the kids and the dog from A to B. But that B can’t be somewhere you’d need a Crosstrek’s ground clearance to access, and the route can’t be so fun that you’d want a WRX for the journey. The Impreza meets all the needs for Subaru’s buyers — but the wants are lacking.
​​​​​​​

Old 08-03-2023, 09:23 AM

https://jalopnik.com/subaru-has-a-ne...ica-1850701239

Subaru has a long history in rallying, for over four decades now, and, on Wednesday, it unveiled its latest car, a WRX but not an STI. It is the Subaru Motorsports WRX Rally. It is 320 horsepower, limited by class regulations, and a rally car, the only car anyone ever wants.

You can’t buy this car (at least yet, until Vermont SportsCar, Subaru’s partner, possibly decides to sell it in a few years’ time or something), but you will be able to see it this year in the American Rally Association Championship, starting at the Ojibwe Forests Rally in Detroit Lakes, Minnesota, on August 24 and 25. At some point later this year, Travis Pastrana, a driver of some renown, will also drive one of these cars in ARA competition.

From Subaru’s release:

​​​​​​​Built for competition by technical partner Vermont SportsCar, the new rally car has been engineered from the inside out for maximum performance under current ARA Open 4WD specifications and regulations. Starting with WRX number 1 – the very first current-generation Subaru WRX sold in the US – the new car was designed, built, and tested over a period of 18 months before its debut today. It is powered by a custom-built turbocharged and intercooled 2.0-liter 4-cylinder boxer engine that meets the requirements of its class, including a mandated 33mm restrictor and 22psi boost limit. To spec, the engine produces 320hp and 380 lb-ft. of torque, while a SADEV six-speed close-ratio transmission sends the power to all four wheels. Springs and dampers are from R53 Suspension, working with VSC-designed crossmembers, links, and hubs to manage wheel movement on any surface the Yokohama 15-inch ADVAN A053 gravel rally tires encounter.
Subaru and Vermont SportsCar also have safety in mind:

​​​​​​​Much of the development of the new car focuses on the safety of the driver and co-driver, starting with a fully seam-welded body shell and an FIA/USAC-spec roll cage constructed from T45 steel. The stock WRX gas tank is replaced by an 82-liter Kevlar fuel cell, and Sparco ADV Prime competition seats feature HANS (Head and Neck Restraint System) devices, a self-extinguishing fabric liner and FIA approved energy absorbing padding.
Subaru says that, “there is every chance that rally racing could be on the upswing in the United States,” and we can only hope it is right. Subaru is trying to do its part, at least.
​​​​​​​

Old 09-28-2023, 08:57 AM

https://www.motor1.com/news/688819/2...wrx-tr-teaser/

The 2024 Subaru WRX TR will debut at Subiefest Florida on October 7. Travis Pastrana and Bucky Lasek will unveil the car there.

Subaru promises the TR is a "sharper and more enthusiast-focused" model. Beyond that vague description, the company keeps the specifics a secret. The single teaser image available now shows off a set of wheels with a light gunmetal finish and red Brembo brake calipers.

It's not clear where the TR might fit in the model lineup. The 2023 WRX is available in four trim levels: WRX, Premium, Limited, and GT. The range-topping trim gets electronically controlled dampers with Comfort, Normal, and Sport settings. Its Drive Mode Select system allows for tweaking elements like the steering feel and damper settings. The GT costs $44,415 after the $1,020 destination fee.

The latest generation of the WRX debuted for the 2022 model year. Its turbocharged 2.4-liter flat-four engine makes 271 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. Buyers can select a six-speed manual or the CVT that goes by the Subaru Performance Transmission branding.

The latest WRX also switched to the Subaru Global Platform. It offers a 28 percent increase in torsional rigidity and a 75 percent improvement in suspension point rigidity compared to the previous model.

Subaru didn't make any changes to the WRX for the 2023 model. The company slightly increased prices.

The STI variant didn't join the WRX for the new generation. At the time, the automaker said an STI "will not be produced based upon the new WRX platform." A later report claimed that the reason for the decision was rapidly changing regulations that would have limited the vehicle's time on the market.

Judging from Subaru's brief statement about the new TR, it seems possible that this variant might go a little of the way toward bridging the gap between the WRX and the STI. Although, there's no indication yet of the latest model having any additional power.

​​​​​​​
Old 09-28-2023, 08:58 AM

Thoughts on splitting the WRX/STI news into its own thread? Since these cars, Impreza & WRX are further from being as closely related as they used to be?
Old 09-28-2023, 09:59 AM
Ex-OEM King

I'd leave it, there's not enough news/updates/discussions about either to warrant different threads.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:38 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

This weekend I saw a new gray WRX with an exhaust. Sounded pretty good but I do miss the ULH but understand the change. I also saw a new white one that was clean and I actually thought it looked good even though the gray cladding is much more visible. Still feel like it's not the one, though.
Old 10-23-2023, 10:02 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/subaru/2024-wrx_tr/

The enthusiast-focused 2024 Subaru WRX TR made its global debut at 2023 Subiefest Florida. The TR trim level offers exceptional performance and handling capability thanks to a Brembo braking system, revised suspension, retuned steering and updated performance tires. For the first time, EyeSight Driver Assist Technology is now standard on a WRX equipped with a manual transmission. With 2024 marking the return of the WRX TR to the model line, this top trim level will be available nationwide at Subaru retailers in early 2024.

The Subaru WRX TR comes equipped with a high-performance Brembo braking system including red 6-piston front calipers, and red 2-piston rear calipers, larger pads and rotors and larger brake master cylinder. The new system provides enhanced stopping power, fade resistance and pedal feel.

Stiffer springs, revised damping rates and a retuned steering rack provide the WRX TR with better body control and steering response while maintaining ride quality. The TR also comes standard with 245/35 R19 Bridgestone Potenza S007 tires for increased wet and dry grip and improved braking performance.

Offered for the first time on WRX with manual transmission is EyeSight Driver Assist Technology. The award-winning safety system includes Adaptive Cruise Control, Pre-Collision Braking System, Lane Departure and Sway Warning, and Lead Vehicle Start Alert. All 2024 Subaru WRX models equipped with a manual transmission will include EyeSight as standard equipment.

The latest generation WRX has a wide-body design offering an aggressive stance and bold look. At the front, Subaru's signature hexagonal grille is paired with a compact headlight design and broad front hood scoop. Prominent character lines across the front, sides, and rear of the vehicle further empathize the sports sedan's strength and performance capability. The exterior foldable mirrors and roof-mounted shark fin antenna come in matching body color. The rear deck lid has an integrated low-profile rear spoiler in matching body color. Rear taillights are designed to glow with a look reminiscent of volcanic magma.

The new top-tier Subaru WRX TR comes standard with Recaro® seats, offering the driver and front passenger increased support for performance driving. The Y-shaped design at the center of the seat backrest embodies a design concept in which the sides and shoulder blades of the occupant are securely supported to maintain proper driving posture. The seats are wrapped in black and gray Ultrasuede® with contrasting red stitching and the "Recaro" logo embossed on the seatbacks. The driver's seat includes 8-way power adjustments.

The power moonroof has been deleted for weight savings, a lower center of gravity and additional headroom for helmeted drivers. Exclusive all-new 19-inch multi-spoke wheels in satin gray finish come standard on the Subaru WRX TR.

The latest version of the SUBARU STARLINK 11.6-inch Multimedia Plus system is standard on WRX TR. The 11.6-inch center information display offers a high-definition touchscreen for multimedia, climate control, and vehicle configuration settings. The multimedia system includes wireless Apple CarPlay; wireless Android Auto; AM/FM/HD Radio; Bluetooth hands-free phone, text, and audio streaming connectivity; rear vision camera; and SiriusXM® and SiriusXM Travel Link® (4-month free Platinum subscription).

The WRX TR features legendary Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive and a 2.4-liter turbocharged Subaru BOXER® engine, delivering 271 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and broad torque curve with 258 lb-ft of torque from 2,000-5,200 rpm. Active Torque Vectoring is also standard across the model line.

pttl (10-23-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 11:10 AM

Old 12-20-2023, 10:47 AM
Race Director

Received 627 Likes on 505 Posts
The WRX has gotten expensive. Originally priced at $29,105 for the 2022 model year, the VB retailed at $30,605 at the beginning of the 2023 model year. But for 2024, the MSRP is $32,735. Plus $1,120 for destination, that is, compared to $1,020 for 2023 and $995 for the first model year.
You might be wondering if you're getting anything new as standard for that rather shocking $2,130 difference in base price. The answer is yes, beginning with 11.6 inches of STARLINK infotainment as opposed to the previous 7.0-inch dual-screen setup.

Also new for 2024, every single WRX – including those equipped with the only transmission that suits the WRX's character – comes with EyeSight Driver Assist Technology. Vehicles equipped with the stick shift include Advanced Adaptive Cruise Control with Lane Centering, Lane Departure Prevention, auto emergency braking, and Pre-Collision Brake Assist.

Those specified with the SPT, which is a chain-driven CVT marketed as the Subaru Performance Transmission, add Pre-Collision Throttle Management. Wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay also need to be mentioned, as well as STARLINK Safety and Security. When it comes to extras, each and every trim level available for 2024 can be had with a subscription-based Wi-Fi hotspot.

Five grades will start arriving at dealers in early 2024, beginning with the self-explanatory Base. In addition to the aforementioned, other highlights include Hill Start Assist, 17-inch alloy wheels mounted with summer performance tires, Welcome Lighting, automatic LED headlights with high-beam assist, a USB-A charge or input port, a 3.5-millimeter AUX jack, remote keyless entry, plus power windows, power locks, power mirrors, and a power fuel door.
If that list seems a bit spartan, fret not because the Japanese automaker offers the WRX in four better-equipped specifications. Priced at $34,635, the Premium adds larger wheels, heated front seats and mirrors, a windshield wiper deicer, LED fog lights, aluminum pedal covers, push-button start, USB-A and USB-C ports for both the front and rear passengers, as well as a body-color trunk lid spoiler.

The Premium SPT is $35,985, with said transmission adding paddle shifters, eight preselected gear ratios that should come in handy when driving downhill, Auto Vehicle Hold, and SI-Drive Engine Performance Management. The range-topping GT costs $44,215 and comes exclusively with the SPT.

Slotted between the Premium and GT, the Limited is equipped with a power moonroof and an 11-speaker Harman Kardon audio system that would otherwise set you back $1,865 in the Premium. The real star of the lineup is the returning TR trim level, which flaunts Brembo brake calipers fore and aft, larger rotors and pads, and a larger brake master cylinder.

Retailing at $41,655, the TR further sweetens the deal with 19-inch alloys, Bridgestone Potenza S007 rubber, Recardo Performance Design front seats wrapped in black-and-gray Ultrasuede with red contrast stitching, 8-way power adjustments for the driver's seat, stiffer springs, revised damping rates, and a retuned steering rack. Regardless of grade, the 2024 Subaru WRX continues to rely on the 2023 model's 2.4-liter turbo four-cylinder boxer with 271 horsepower and 258 pound-feet (350 Nm) on tap.
2024 Subaru WRX Gets $2,130 More Expensive Than 2023 Model, New TR Version Is $41,655 - autoevolution
Old 07-11-2024, 08:45 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/subaru/20...night_concept/

Subaru Motorsports USA revealed "Project Midnight," the quickest and fastest ever WRX making its debut at the 2024 Goodwood Festival of Speed. Born from the success of the record-breaking "Airslayer" Gymkhana car, Project Midnight takes things to a new level with a singular directive: outright speed. The lightweight widebody machine inherits a legacy of rallycross dominance, now evolved to break records and push the performance envelope of the platform.

Project Midnight's progenitor - Airslayer - was based on a 2020 Subaru WRX STI and starred in the viral video Gymkhana 2020, performing wild stunts, including a 230-foot jump where its active rear wing controlled the car's airborne attitude. While Airslayer did break records at timed events like the iconic Mt. Washington Hillclimb and Car & Driver Magazine's Lightning Lap, its real mission as a Gymkhana star meant it was built to be the jack of many trades. So the question arose: What if it was reimagined in the form of the current WRX with a singular focus on pure tarmac speed? And what if it were piloted by Scott Speed - a Subaru Motorsports USA driver with a star background in everything from F1 to rallycross?

Project Midnight features ultra-wide aerodynamic bodywork and a radically enlarged version of the wing found on the team's WRX ARA24 gravel rally car. The carbon fiber body and a significantly lightened chassis give it a curb weight of well under 2,500 pounds - nearly 300 pounds lighter than the Airslayer and 1,000 pounds lighter than a standard WRX! Project Midnight uses specially derived tarmac suspension geometry and swaps Airslayer's 17-inch rallycross wheel and tire package in favor of 18x11-inch OZ Racing Superturismo LMP magnesium wheels and 280/650R18 Yokohama ADVAN slicks.

Under the hood, a turbocharged and intercooled 2.0-liter flat-four engine produces 670 hp and 680 lb-ft of torque, revving to 9,500 rpm and spitting flames from its hood-exit exhaust. The powerplant is the most recent and top-performing evolution of Subaru Motorsports USA's highly successful rallycross engine that helped Scott Speed earn Subaru the Nitro Rallycross Teams Championship in 2021.

Old 07-11-2024, 09:10 AM
Ex-OEM King

Wonder if they demanded to put the dumb ass CVT in this one too.