Subaru: Impreza News

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by gsi00154
As i wrote the above last night and slept on it I thought about my statement a little more and will retract on it. I will preface my statement by saying that I owned an 04 STi and currently own an 07 Cayman.

My Cayman cost much more than 40k but will not touch the performance specs of the 08 STi pound for pound. Where my Cayman and a 335 one up this car are more in the subjective aspects such as beauty, heritage and image etc. I think I am going to reserve my opinion on the "value" of the 08 STi until I do a thorough test drive because it just might be worth 40k after all.
It won't be. $32k to $38k is a huge jump for a redesigned model.

Unless they've replaced the entire interior with better materials it's still based on a WRX/Impreza. For that reason, it has limitations it simply cannot overcome ...

Assuming of course that they aren't going the Lotus Elise route which is to say that they built the car to be barely street legal.

It didn't sound to me from the reviews like that's what they are doing.

So $38k for a STi or $38k for a 135i. Probably close to the same acceleration numbers. But would anyone say the Subie is going to have a nicer interior?

Oh wait, I don't want to start an "interior v. driving dynamics" debate again. It's pointless
Old 12-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
Oh wait, I don't want to start an "interior v. driving dynamics" debate again. It's pointless
doesn't mean you can't.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
doesn't mean you can't.
LOL ... True. But I think that in this case we're not talking about an Elise at $40k vs a 135i at $40k. That's like the extreme of driving dynamics (fun to drive) vs overall package.

The STi vs 135i argument becomes muddied IMO because Subaru is trying to make the STi somewhat extreme but then puts stuff in it like a navigation system. It's trying to be too much and because of it, I think it gets clobbered by better cars in its price range.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,653 Likes on 13,892 Posts
Cool New Impreza WRX STi commercial...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTdldqUQYto
Old 04-18-2008, 01:43 AM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
i still dont like the look of it.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:43 AM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
I like the first disclaimer at the bottom of the vid. Car's growing on me, but those tail lights still look lame. I guess I'd just cover them with red tint if I had one ...
Old 04-18-2008, 02:43 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Still think if it were a sedan but different from the way the Impreza sedan looks, it would look alright. But the 5-door hatchback look is kinda lame on a car of this caliber.

All said and done, I'd wait for the Evo X MR. 6-speed manual...
Old 05-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Subaru STI Spec C to appear

From Worldcarfans...

In the new STI Spec C, Subaru has found that less is more by shedding an average man’s weight off the curb, or around 70kg to leave the car weighing in at 1,400kg. How this was achieved, among other ways, was to get a revised aluminium boot – which should close with an even bigger clunk than previous gen Imprezas -, lighter roof, thinner glass, a smaller fuel tank and a compact 12v battery. STIs aren’t known for their kindness to petrol, therefore the tinier fuel tank may prove detrimental on long cruises. A power upgrade though, will ensure that this weight reduction is taken advantage of, so we expect some work to be done on 296 bhp to match up to Evo X’s MR or surpass it.

The UK, very keen on such models, will most probably see grey imports towards the end of 2008, about the same time the cars show up in Japan’s showroom floors.

Not to put too much pressure on the Impreza range, Subaru is hedging a little bit of performance on the adult side of things, improving Legacy’s power uptake to better match a grown-up M3 sedan and Merc’s C 63 AMG, as well as its own nemesis, the saloon Evo X. The car is to be badged S402, featuring same engine as Impreza STI, as well as a new 6-speed gearbox, stiffer suspension and racier interior.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:34 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who gives a shit...its a disgrace!
Old 05-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Senior Moderator

^ But, it's fast!
Old 05-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I've sat in several new STI's over the past couple of weeks and I have to admit that it's really starting to grow on me. It looks much better in person than it does in photos. The interior is a big improvement over last year's model.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:08 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
The interior is a big improvement over last year's model.
how could it not
Old 07-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Senior Moderator

2008 Subaru WRX STI 380S Concept

Old 07-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Senior Moderator

From Supercars...

Subaru has scored a high-performance hat-trick for the British International Motor Show with the launch of no less than three new Special Edition new-shape Impreza models – two of which can be seen at the show. Sure to be a crowd-puller is Subaru’s range-topping special edition Impreza WRX STI 380S which previews at the London International Motor Show.

Dubbed a concept, the STI 380S could reach dealers within six months pending positive response. Its final specification will be finalised following customer input and will be hand-built to order.

The STI 380S will include a complete engine rebuild by Prodrive with many up-rated components to reliably achieve the target 380 PS.

Improvements over the standard Impreza WRX STI will include uprated suspension and exhaust system plus an enhanced body kit.

Other visual changes will be the option of either gold or silver-coloured 18x8.5 ins BBS alloy wheels with 245/40 tyres.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:17 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
for '09MY WRX's (non STI) only come in manual and get 265hp
Old 08-05-2008, 12:08 AM
Drifting

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Spec C Debuts at the Nürburgring

By Peter Lyon, Contributor, Japan

Date posted: 08-04-2008

If the number of letters in its name is at all proportionate with its level of improvements, the 2010 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Spec C should be quite the hatchback. Spotted for the first time lapping the Nürburgring recently, this super STI has a number of upgrades designed to sharpen the performance of the standard model.

According to sources in Japan, this STI's ride height has been lowered by 0.5 inch and fitted with stiffer dampers and springs. The lightweight 18-inch wheels are wrapped in Bridgestone run-flat tires, while the brakes have been upgraded with the six-piston calipers from the Subaru Legacy STi S402.

Finally, the engineers in Subaru City have tweaked the turbocharger and exhaust system of the turbocharged 2.0-liter boxer engine to generate beefier torque at lower revs and lift power from 300 horsepower to around 320 hp. Gear ratios have also been revised, with 1st through 4th gears positioned closer together while 5th and 6th gear have been made taller to enhance top-end speed, as the Spec C is expected to clear 165 mph.

With the performance hardware of the Spec C out of the way, the design team turned to aerodynamics in order to add a little free horsepower.

One source close to the project tells us that in addition to giving the Spec C a fully flat underbody, the Subaru engineers have also fitted a lightweight aluminum rear diffuser that helps generate twice as much downforce at speed than the current body.

No 'Ring lap times are available yet, but our snapper in Germany confirms that the Spec C appeared more composed through low- and high-speed corners and could easily slice 15 seconds off the current STI's time.

Expected to go on sale in Japan by year's end and then in Europe and possibly in the U.S. by mid-2009, the Spec C could have a price tag of around $43,000.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..2.*
Old 08-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

I'm still not sure what to make of this.

Since 2003, the Evo has consistently been faster at the track than the STi. Often by 2-3 seconds per lap.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:20 AM
I can't find my garage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i like it
Old 08-05-2008, 02:05 AM

I'm still not sure what to make of this.

Since 2003, the Evo has consistently been faster at the track than the STi. Often by 2-3 seconds per lap.
Not to mention better looking! Still gotta love that boxer burble though....
Old 08-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Drifting

First Drive: 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX

It's Baaaaaack

By Josh Jacquot, Senior Road Test Editor
Date posted: 08-14-2008

The 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX just didn't have it. You know, it. That extra something that makes a car kick ass.

After driving it for the first time last year, we fired up the poison pen. It was too soft, we wrote, understeered too much and its engine, once the class of the sport compact segment, ran out of steam well before redline. Frankly, we were pissed off. Subaru had blown it. But worse than that, we missed our old friend, the WRX — the one with immediate turn-in, a taut suspension and a redline-ripping boosted boxer engine.

Most car companies just get mad at us when we tell them their new car is crap. But not Subaru. Instead, Subaru listened. Then it fixed the car.

For 2009, only a single model year on, Subaru has returned the WRX to its proper place among sport compacts. Oh, it still shares its platform and the majority of its components with the 2008 model, but the 2009 WRX represents a complete attitude adjustment. It's more practical and refined than the first-generation car, but once again offers the original WRX's spirit, which not only offered enthusiastic all-wheel-drive handling and plenty of power for a reasonable price but gave the finger to convention.

The 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX has it.

More Power, More Torque
Starting with more engine output, Subaru has given the WRX its soul back. For 2009, horsepower is bumped from 224 to 265 while torque climbs from 224 pound-feet to 244. As important, the otherwise similar 2.5-liter boxer engine now pulls hard all the way to its 6,500-rpm redline while still delivering adequate mid- and low-range punch.

The additional motivation comes courtesy of the WRX STI turbocharger (with a slightly different trim). A larger-diameter exhaust and more efficient catalytic converters reduce exhaust backpressure by 30 percent relative to the 2008 WRX. Peak boost is up to 13.3 psi from the '08 model's 11.4 psi. The ECU is reprogrammed to accommodate these changes.

More power is always a welcome change to any new model, but it often comes with compromises. The only one we've spotted so far is an EPA city fuel economy rating that is reduced from 19 to 18 mpg. The EPA highway rating remains 25 mpg.

Chassis Tweaks
To quell the car's floaty ride and floppy handling, Subaru's chassis engineers worked like dogs, ignoring their wives and kids for months at a time.

The result? Spring rates are up 43 percent in front and 42 percent in the rear, while roll stiffness increases 22 and 29 percent front and rear. Additional roll stiffness comes from larger antiroll bars — the front bar diameter increases from 20mm to 21mm and the rear bar diameter increases from 15mm to 16mm. New dampers and STI upper strut mounts are matched to the stiffer spring rates.

Wider 225/45R17 summer tires replace the 2008 WRX's 205/50R17 all-season rubber. Last year's 15:1 steering ratio remains the same but a damper valve was added to the 2009 WRX's steering to reduce kickback caused by the wider tires.

And now we're convinced every chassis engineer should be an absentee dad. On the wildly undulating, pothole-ridden roads of Vancouver Island in British Columbia, the WRX's new attitude is immediately obvious.

Welcome Back, WRX
Pour the coals to the WRX and up to nine-tenths it rewards with much improved grip and cornering limits that will compete with its rivals from Mazda and Mitsubishi. We found it amply capable right up to the last few tenths of our own abilities, where heavier suspension damping would offer more control.

When pushed very hard over rough roads, there's still more body motion than we like — a problem it shares with the Mazdaspeed 3, which is slated for revised dampers sometime this year. Still, the stiffer suspension and new tires should elevate its limits beyond those of the Lancer Ralliart without a similar decrease in ride quality.

Brake hardware remains the same and the only improvement in stopping performance will come as a result of the wider, stickier tires. The last WRX we tested stopped from 60 mph in 123 feet, which is strong for the class while leaving room for improvement.

The car's newfound sharper responses don't keep us from wishing the WRX had front and rear limited-slip differentials, which would give its driver even more control at corner exit but also add cost. Mitsubishi equips its Lancer Ralliart with such hardware and Subaru should meet that challenge head on. As it is, the 2009 WRX powers out of corners adequately, but limited-slip diffs, like Subie stuffs in the STI, would make it better, especially in limited grip situations.

Emphasizing the WRX's more focused performance is the fact that it's only available with a five-speed manual transmission. Ratios remain the same as the '08 model. Getting an automatic requires stepping down to the 224-hp Impreza 2.5GT that's new for 2009. Subaru hopes this lesser version of the Impreza — basically the same spec as the 2008 WRX but only available with an automatic transmission — will capture buyers who want a softer, less powerful WRX. You know, girls.

Subaru claims the added power will propel the 2009 WRX to 60 mph from a standstill in 5.4 seconds. Our previous tests on the 2008 WRX showed 0-60 times ranging between 5.9 and 6.2 seconds. We expect the quarter-mile time to drop to the low 14-second range.

The 2009 Look
Subtle styling differences distinguish the 2009 WRX, but give the otherwise slab-sided machine a bit more personality. All 2009 WRXs will wear the aero kit that was an option on 2008 models, and an STI-style grille. Five-door models also get the STI's large rear spoiler and diffuser, while sedans use a low-profile trunk lid spoiler.

Also tweaked for the better are the Subie's exhaust tips. The sedan's dual-outlet exhaust has been redesigned and the five-door's single-outlet tip is larger (and stainless steel on cars equipped with the premium package).

The WRX is still not a broad-shouldered eye-catcher like the more powerful STI, but it now looks less like a small economy wagon from Korea and more like the antisocial performance machine it is. Even the sedan, which will never win any design awards, is now less offensive.

Inside, the WRX's high-back, integrated-headrest seats are carried over for 2009 but now include red embroidered WRX logos in the seatback. Red stitching is also present on the seat bolsters and steering wheel.

Get Yours Soon
Both the 2009 WRX and 2009 Impreza GT will be at dealers on September 1. WRX pricing isn't yet official but Subaru tells us to expect the base price to be less than $25,000 — about the same as the 2008 model. The Impreza 2.5GT, despite having less power, will offer more standard equipment (think automatic transmission and sunroof) and will be similarly priced, according to Subaru.

You can relax. The WRX is no longer an all-wheel-drive Camry. And Subaru clearly isn't relinquishing its grasp on the sport compact market. Drive the car and one fact becomes immediately obvious: The WRX is back.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
Old 08-15-2008, 01:26 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
acura should take a hint from subaru!!! and make swift changes for the new TSX and TL, lol
Old 08-15-2008, 01:26 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Nice.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Wow subaru didnt fuck around and *wait and see if* it sells, they put the attitude back in the WRX.

Subaru for listening
Old 02-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Post 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI A-Line

Old 02-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Press release...

Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today launches “Subaru Impreza WRX A-Line” which is a new addition to the current WRX STI model. The model goes on sale nationwide through Subaru dealerships today in Japan.

Based on the Impreza WRX STI, the WRX STI A-Line model was developed to offer its distinctive driving performance to a wider range of customers by integrating 2.5-litre turbocharged Boxer engine and 5 Speed Automatic Transmission with SPORTSHIFT*.

In addition, the current WRX STI was given some refinements to enhance comfort and quality feel; 8 way power adjustable front seats and a new body color, “Satin White Pearl”, is now available.

The model features the exclusively developed 2.5-litre Subaru BOXER turbo engine with SPORTSHIFT* E-5AT, while retaining the basic component such as chassis and body of the WRX STI, Subaru’s performance flagship.

Engine:

- The unique 2.5-litre BOXER engine comes with a single scroll turbocharger and produces a flat torque from the low and mid-rev range to high-rev range.
- Dual Active Valve Control System (AVCS) was adopted to control continuously valve timing on both intake and exhaust valves, which improves low and mid-range range torque, high-rev range output and environmental friendliness.
- Tumble Generation Valve (TGV) controls the intake air stream to generate high combustion efficiency.

Drive train:

- SI-DRIVE (SUBARU Intelligent Drive), that enables the drivers to choose three different engine mappings, is standard.
- Paddle shift is featured to allow manual shifting without requiring the driver to release the steering wheel.
- Downshifting Blipping Control system was adopted. When down-shifting, the automatic transmission control unit interacts with the engine management system and increases engine revolutions instantly and to the exact required setting.
- Changing gears with the paddle shift can also be done by a temporary operation that does not require the selection lever to be set to the manual position.
- VTD (Variable Torque Distribution)-AWD system was adopted to provide excellent stability of the vehicle, which controls the torque distribution ratio between the front and rear axles depending on driving conditions.
- 17-inches ventilated dual piston disk brakes for the front, and 16-inches ventilated disk brakes for the rear were fitted.
- VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control) System is standard.

Interior:

- 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat is standard. Leather seats are available as optional and include (front) seat heating. Soft leather door trim with silver stitch is featured.

Major specifications:

-Engine type: Horizontally-Opposed 4-cylinder DOHC 16-valve turbocharged engine
-Displacement: 2457 cc
-Maximum output: 221kW (300 PS)/6200 rpm
-Maximum torque: 350 Nm (35.7 kgf·m)/2800��6000 rpm
-Turbo type: Single Scroll turbocharger
Old 02-25-2009, 09:08 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
The STIs are already way overpriced, this certainly won't help.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
The STIs are already way overpriced, this certainly won't help.

I remember when I priced the '08 STI, it was more than my fully loaded 2.0T A4 Avant 6spd by about $7K if I recall.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:53 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
its still
Old 02-25-2009, 09:56 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
No dual clutch FTL.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

There is only ONE -Line and that's Audi S-Line.

Damn Japanese stealers!
Old 02-25-2009, 11:33 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
wait, two peddles and its not a dual clutch?

i will buy this car one day...

Last edited by stangg172004; 02-25-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:33 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
i really like it but too expensive
Old 02-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
There is only ONE -Line and that's Audi S-Line.

Damn Japanese stealers!
Lexus had L-Sportline back in the day, but that was an independent aftermarket wheel / aero company.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:05 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

i guess i'm in the minority that likes the looks.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
It looks fantastic in white.

Last edited by mrsteve; 02-26-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
:shakehead WTF? If you can't drive a stick, you don't deserve to buy an STI anyway.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I don't love the looks, but I don't hate them, either. Overall, it's a nice looking car.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:14 PM

same here. It grew on me pretty quick, when I saw one in person it looked really good. But I'm afraid they're getting way too soft, the Evo kicks its ass around the track. The STi is supposed to be a rally-bred beast ready for the streets, not some wagon or sedan on steroids. Now they're making it automatic?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:12 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Automatic?....no thanks
Old 02-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
you guys should research instead of jumping on these msrp prices..
the sti's aren't selling and they're going for 28,000-29,000 out the door prices with 0% down financing at subaru dealers for the last 4-5 months.

i bought my fully loaded 08Legacy GT with every option and accessory available for $27,000 out the door!!

Quick Reply: Subaru: Impreza News