Ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003 | 04:03 PM
Pro

Ride quality

I decided to TRY and opt for the TL over TSX because besides the power aspect I assumed the "larger" more luxury sedan would have a superior ride. I take people out on business adn can't be bouncing all over the place. From what I am hearing the ride is almost the same as the TSX and that the Accord is actually a more comfortable ride. I would like to hear further opinions in this matter. I am surprised the car is smaller, that ride could be a deal breaker for me. Also there is a lot of comments about the trunk. Overall I could careless as I carry next to nothing, but can you fit a full sized golf back in there sideways?
Old 10-05-2003 | 08:28 PM
Advanced

Re: Ride quality

Originally posted by moreace
Also there is a lot of comments about the trunk. Overall I could careless as I carry next to nothing, but can you fit a full sized golf back in there sideways?
This should be no problem, since the '04TL is actually wider than the second generation (which had no problem with full sized golf bags sideways).
Old 10-05-2003 | 09:49 PM
Cruisin'

I haven't driven a TSX, so I can't compare, but in my opinion there is no comparison between the TL and the Accord V-6 (and clearly no comparison against the 4).

Of course, I guess it depends on what someone is looking for in ride quality. If you are looking for a softer feel, you might be right about the Accord comparison. For a stiffer, better driving feel, the TL blows the Accord v-6 away. I test drove it against the BMW 330i and the Mercedes 320. While it trailed behind the BMW (just slightly, in my opinion) in terms of feeling the road and being responsive, it excelled over the Mercedes in that respect.
Old 10-05-2003 | 11:54 PM
Cruisin'

Re: Ride quality

Originally posted by moreace
I decided to TRY and opt for the TL over TSX because besides the power aspect I assumed the "larger" more luxury sedan would have a superior ride. I take people out on business adn can't be bouncing all over the place. From what I am hearing the ride is almost the same as the TSX and that the Accord is actually a more comfortable ride. I would like to hear further opinions in this matter. I am surprised the car is smaller, that ride could be a deal breaker for me. Also there is a lot of comments about the trunk. Overall I could careless as I carry next to nothing, but can you fit a full sized golf back in there sideways?
This is subjective. What one person calls 'feel for the road' another will call harsh.

The TL is defintely closer to the TSX in ride than it is to an Accord. Firmer suspension, lower profile tires, etc.

If isolation from the road is what you're after you would probably be better off to going with the Accord, or possibly even a Camry/ES.
Old 10-06-2003 | 12:13 AM
Banned

The Acura News Site (and hence Vtec.com) says that you can put 4 golf bags in the New TL trunk as it is packaged different, and is higher than the old TL.

They actually try to say that the trunk has MORE usable space than the old one due to packaging

Regarding ride, it is not bad, not cushy like an impala, but not teeth rattling like an M3 either.
Old 10-06-2003 | 12:19 AM
Pinky all stinky

Originally posted by LED Master

They actually try to say that the trunk has MORE usable space than the old one due to packaging

It's true. The gooseneck hinges on the "old" TL were exposed...so even if you could stuff a ton of things in there, you'd have to take some out in order to close the trunk as the hinges would bite into the cargo when the trunk closed.

The 04 TL uses the same set up as the TSX's trunk; the hinges are hidden inside a compartment that's close to the outer walls of the trunk. The hinges hide inside that compartment, they don't crush your cargo. As noted, the trunk is also taller.
Old 10-06-2003 | 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

I test drove the TL today and then got a TSX as a loaner while my RSX is in for service so I have a direct back to back comparison of the two, and let me say, the TL's ride quality is much better than the TSX's. Now over a speed bump you will bounce a bit, but in terms of imperfections on the road it's much better than the TSX.
Old 10-06-2003 | 08:46 PM
More On

Originally posted by RJC RSX
I test drove the TL today and then got a TSX as a loaner while my RSX is in for service so I have a direct back to back comparison of the two, and let me say, the TL's ride quality is much better than the TSX's. Now over a speed bump you will bounce a bit, but in terms of imperfections on the road it's much better than the TSX.
Thanks, RJC. Would love to hear more impressions about the comparison.
(As I said elsewhere, I didn't detect that much difference, but my lady thought she did.)