Renault Logan News **Rolls over... (page 1)**

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Renault Logan News **Rolls over... (page 1)**

Renault's Logan Aims to "Play It Again, Sam" in Casablanca - - Source: Edmunds.com

CASABLANCA, Morocco — SOMACA, Renault's local subsidiary, started assembly of the Renault Logan on Thursday.

This is the third manufacturing location for the low-cost family sedan.

The Logan, which was introduced last summer, is now being manufactured in Romania, and assembled in Russia and Morocco. Renault is now a majority shareholder in SOMACA (the acronym stands for Société Marocaine de Construction Automobile — Moroccan Auto Manufacturing Company). The company will be building 30,000 of the economical cars in Morocco, which is considered the second biggest North African market, after Egypt. Part of this volume will be exported.

SOMACA was set up in the 1960s and lately it has been the sole production plant in the world at which both the Peugeot Partner light van and its direct competitor, the Renault Kangoo, were made.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

ALthough there is a separate forum here about politics, one has to admit that it's astounding seeing the close business ties of France with the Arab world in so many ways. I think it's very noteworthy and should be kept in mind.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
ALthough there is a separate forum here about politics, one has to admit that it's astounding seeing the close business ties of France with the Arab world in so many ways. I think it's very noteworthy and should be kept in mind.
Would Egyptians assembling BMW525s outside of Cairo be astounding too?

Look, French companies have had ins throughout the world for a real long time. This is a country that still allows a tax deduction for bribing (in connection with getting a contract). There's a very simple reason to build/assemble within a certain country - price advantage.

If GM (or any other US company) had a way to easily make money in that part of the world they'd be there in a NY minute.

It will be interesting to see how many Logans I see on the road when I visit Romania next week. When I was last there 30 years ago, Dacias (cheap Renault 12 copies) ruled the roads.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by biker

Would Egyptians assembling BMW525s outside of Cairo be astounding too?
Is that a hypothetical example, or is it reality? Does BMW make 525s there?

What I called astounding was the close business ties that France has with the Arab world in so many ways (inluding the ones uncovered after the invasion of Iraq and the ongoing investigation of the "oil for food" program at the UN).

Do if BMW are assembled in Cairo, then it's a secondary point. Still astounding nontheless.

Look, French companies have had ins throughout the world for a real long time. This is a country that still allows a tax deduction for bribing (in connection with getting a contract). There's a very simple reason to build/assemble within a certain country - price advantage.
Hehehe... Tax deduction if bribed ah? Hehehe...

Sure the reason is cost, but it is astounding how "arab" the French are leaning towards, concerning their business. It is astounding to me mostly because I dont know of any other "serious" Western European economy that does so. Maybe it's colony-related, maybe not. It is astounding and noteworthy to me though.

If GM (or any other US company) had a way to easily make money in that part of the world they'd be there in a NY minute.
Yes but GM has to follow the calls of the State Department about which countries we do business with and which should not. And I am not saying that I know that Marocco is included in that list currently, but I am guessing that the French gov't does not impose the same restrictions we are. Or does not in the same intensity. Again, that's a guess, but I think I can call it an educated, safe guess.

So no, it's not always about "where can I make money" in the case of the US companies. There are limits which are very clearly defined by our principles, beliefs and constitution.

It will be interesting to see how many Logans I see on the road when I visit Romania next week. When I was last there 30 years ago, Dacias (cheap Renault 12 copies) ruled the roads.
Dacias have been "rulling" the roads of many ex-Eastern Euro countries for decades. I am sure you know that. So no surprise. You even used to find them frequently in western Euro countries, like Portugal and Greece during the 80s and early 90s.

Same with Ladas and Skodas (before bought by VW).
Old 07-11-2005, 06:18 AM
Race Director

Is that a hypothetical example, or is it reality? Does BMW make 525s there?
They used assemble a few hundred 5 series a year in a factory just outside Cairo from parts flown in from Germany - it's strictly an assembly job (no locally sourced parts) to get around the huge (100+%) import duty. I assume it's still there and operating.

The French having connections in Morroco is a given - it's their former colony and the official language there is still French. And that's their tie in with the rest of the Muslim world. Of course recently even the French are getting a bit more strict - no head scraves (usually worn by Muslim girls) allowed in schools.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Interesting. So no wonder we had Germany (and Russia) stand by Shirak's side during the fiasco about the resolution that never happened at the UN before the latest Iraq war. See the more we learn about these three countries, the more links we find about business they had in the Arab world.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Budget Renault rolls on test - - By Julie Sinclair - - Source: Autoexpress

Corner too hard at only 40mph in Renault's new budget car and this is what could happen. These shocking pictures are of the forthcoming Logan, and reveal how the saloon flips over. What's more, the A-pillar on the driver's side caved in! The incident occurred during a handling test carried out by Europe's biggest automobile club, ADAC of Germany.

A number of medium-sized family cars were assessed, but only the Logan ended up on its roof during "a sudden avoidance manoeuvre". Testers initially blamed the newcomer's lack of stability control technology, but an ADAC spokesman explained: "Even models without ESP haven't rolled before in this assessment - the worst they normally do is slide." The collapse of the A-pillar was a cause of greater concern for the group, though. "In a more serious situation, occupants' chances of survival would be reduced," the spokesman added.

In issue 855, Auto Express revealed how the Logan - to be sold under the Dacia brand in Britain - gained only a three-star rating in Euro NCAP crash tests, plus one star for pedestrian protection. The Logan is due here in 2007. A Renault UK spokesman dismissed the findings, saying: "This was a one-off. The car had already passed the ADAC test twice, but on the third run it got a puncture and the wrong tyre was fitted."

Old 08-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Test driver not wearing a helmet =

Shitty car all around though.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

No doubt...
Old 08-06-2005, 01:57 AM
Race Director

These Logans in Dacia trim rule in Romania - it's about the only car folks there can afford - about $5000 Euro.

My Citoren C4 rental was not only more powerfull than about 90% of the cars there (with only about 120HP) but people stared at it (it just came out last year). The non turning middle of the stering wheel was not as weird as I thought it would be.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total crap. You get what you pay for.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:20 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 08-06-2005, 06:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

These Logans in Dacia trim rule in Romania - it's about the only car folks there can afford - about $5000 Euro.

My Citoren C4 rental was not only more powerfull than about 90% of the cars there (with only about 120HP) but people stared at it (it just came out last year). The non turning middle of the stering wheel was not as weird as I thought it would be.

Oh you got the C4? Lots of comotion about this car when it came out...
Old 08-07-2005, 04:21 AM
Race Director

Oh you got the C4? Lots of comotion about this car when it came out...
Other than the digital dash and the unique steering wheel it's just another compact economy car. The digital info pod at the top middle of the dash was pretty cool. As I said, I got used to the steering wheel pretty fast and after a little bit it didn't seem as weird as it looks.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually Southern Europe and North Africa have been doing business with one another for quite some time. Remember that all of North Africa was once part of the Eastern Holy Roman Empire. Like Cote de Voire, Morocco was also once a French colony. Sadly most of the former colonies of the French, the Dutch, the Portuguese and the Spanish haven't fared nearly as well as former British colonies have. Anyway, I've spoken my peace and will head back to R&P now.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Test driver not wearing a helmet =
Old 08-07-2005, 10:12 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Interesting. So no wonder we had Germany (and Russia) stand by Shirak's side during the fiasco about the resolution that never happened at the UN before the latest Iraq war. See the more we learn about these three countries, the more links we find about business they had in the Arab world.
Before you go "ah-hah!" about French and Germans because they both opposed the war and their companies have business links to the middle east, remember that it's actually US companies that profited the most from the oil for food scams:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story...485649,00.html

In fact, the Senate report found that US oil purchases accounted for 52% of the kickbacks paid to the regime in return for sales of cheap oil - more than the rest of the world put together.

"The United States was not only aware of Iraqi oil sales which violated UN sanctions and provided the bulk of the illicit money Saddam Hussein obtained from circumventing UN sanctions," the report said. "On occasion, the United States actually facilitated the illicit oil sales.
Like someone before pointed out, the French have strong links to the middle east and to north africa in particular because of their colonial past there. France also has a huge number of north african immigrants, and many of them do business in France and no doubt use their links and cultural know-how to do business in North Africa and other Arab countries. It also happens that North Africa is just across the pond from France, it's kind of like the US outsourcing to Mexico.

Most of the world was against the war in Iraq and I very much doubt that we could find ulterior motives for countries like Finalnd who were also opposed. The French have been made targets in particular because they hold a security council seat, many people don't like them in the fist place, and they've never been shy about expressing disagreement with anybody (the're French). As for which Western country does the most business with the nation that produced most of the 911 hijackers... you tell me

Going back to the car, it seems like this is a pretty crappy econobox. It makes me wonder how good these cheap cars from China that are coming soon to our shores will be... Can the Chinese produce a good quality product for half the price? I read an article in a finance mag recently about the enterpreneur who brought Subar to the US and his plan to bring a Chinese car maker. I think the company name is "Chery" but maybe I'm thinking of a different one...

Last edited by Belzebutt; 08-07-2005 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:20 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Before you go "ah-hah!" about French and Germans because they both opposed the war and their companies have business links to the middle east, remember that it's actually US companies that profited the most from the oil for food scams:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story...485649,00.html

Even if that were true, it's actually adding to my argument. Because if it were true, it shows that we stand for something and we will look at the economic benefit as secondary when basic, fundamental principles are in violation. What does that say for the French?