Next Gen. Chevrolet Malibu News **Video of the introduction the Malibu (page 5)**

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 01:07 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Source: http://images.leftlanenews.com/
Old 12-07-2006, 08:30 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
simple, but looks nice. mazdaish.

if the materials are up to par its interior can definately rival some of the big japanese names *cough*infiniti*cough*
Old 12-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love everything about it. The colors, the looks of the materials, the layout... Better than the compeition, IMHO, except for the Accord.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Some of that is very real. The Radio and HVAC are currently used by a variety of GM cars.

I think that design is possible, though I don't know how likely.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsme
WOW, NOW TAKE A LOOK AT THE G6 CONCEPT ...
Someone decided to build a car interior out of a batsuit.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by charliemike
Some of that is very real. The Radio and HVAC are currently used by a variety of GM cars.

I think that design is possible, though I don't know how likely.
I will be the interior of the next Malibu. Two tone color scheme (an interior option) and all. As you said, the radio and HVAC controls are instantly recognizable. Upon a closer look the steering wheel is also.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Safety Car

Not really liking the whole brown two tone thing on the dash.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Small pic from NAIS site...

Cheverolet Releases Sneak Peek of 2008 Malibu

DETROIT, Mich. – Chevrolet today released an advance image of the exterior of the all-new 2008 Malibu, which will be unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January and will arrive at Chevrolet dealerships later in 2007. The photo was released in conjunction with the announcement of a $208 million investment in the Fairfax, Kansas Assembly plant to prepare for production of the car.

The image reveals a partial shot of the front of the car featuring a dual-port grille, which is described as representing the “new face of Chevrolet.”

“The 2008 Malibu design is expressive and brings new proportions and a fresh perspective to the mid-size market,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet General Manager. “The new Malibu boasts a poised, wheels-at-the-corners stance with a longer hood and shorter deck appearance that conveys motion, agility and attitude.”

Chevrolet previously released a sneak peek of one of the car’s available two-tone interiors, which demonstrates a much more upscale look and feel with more premium materials and a new level of refinement in the extremely competitive mid-size car segment
Old 12-18-2006, 05:25 PM
Banned

If that new small pic is right, that's not bad. It's a HUGE improvement.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:28 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
wow
Old 12-18-2006, 08:50 PM
Safety Car

Such a good looking car. IMHO, it's exterior kills everything else in the segment, including the Aura and expecially the Sebring.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Safety Car

That is pretty impressive for the malibu, hopefully they did as well on the inside.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:20 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Not bad. A huge improvement over the old Malibu yes, but thats not saying much considering the old Malibu.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

It really is a huge improvement over the last Malibu.......so much that it will be one of the nicest looking cars in its class.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Originally Posted by Beltfed
It really is a huge improvement over the last Malibu.......so much that it will be one of the nicest looking cars in its class.

Chevrolet Aura?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

2007 Detroit Auto Show: Chevrolet releases an advance image of the exterior of the all-new 2008 Malibu - - Source: http://www.theautochannel.com/

DETROIT, Mich. December 18, 2007; Chevrolet has released an advance image of the exterior of the all-new 2008 Malibu, which will have its worldwide unveiling at NAIAS 2007 in January.

The Malibu will arrive at Chevrolet dealerships later in 2007. The photo was released in conjunction with the announcement of a $208 million investment in the Fairfax, Kansas Assembly plant to prepare for production of the car.
The image reveals a partial shot of the front of the car featuring a dual-port grille, which is described as representing the “new face of Chevrolet.”

“The 2008 Malibu design is expressive and brings new proportions and a fresh perspective to the mid-size market,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet General Manager. “The new Malibu boasts a poised, wheels-at-the-corners stance with a longer hood and shorter deck appearance that conveys motion, agility and attitude.”

Chevrolet previously released a sneak peek of one of the car’s available two-tone interiors, which demonstrates a much more upscale look and feel with more premium materials and a new level of refinement in the extremely competitive mid-size car segment.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Source: http://www.jalopnik.com/
Old 12-18-2006, 11:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

It's finally starting to be getting together for GM.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Kabachitare!

Originally Posted by dom
Not bad. A huge improvement over the old Malibu yes, but thats not saying much considering the old Malibu.

Werd. I can't wait to rent one.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:07 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
whats the price tag? I want one as a second vehicle
Old 12-19-2006, 07:58 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by charliemike
Chevrolet Aura?
No, not at all. These cars ride on two different platforms. The new Malibu's on Epsilon II, and the Aura and G6 still ride on the stretched Epsilon platform that debuted on the Malibu Maxx. Except for maybe the general shape and stance, they don't share alot in common.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:00 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gavriil
It's finally starting to be getting together for GM.
Agreed. Competitive midsize cars was always the missing piece of the pie. Hopefully they'll be able to keep their momentum going.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:29 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks very good.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:31 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by titan
No, not at all. These cars ride on two different platforms. The new Malibu's on Epsilon II, and the Aura and G6 still ride on the stretched Epsilon platform that debuted on the Malibu Maxx. Except for maybe the general shape and stance, they don't share alot in common.

Then why not wait to release the Aura? The reviews havn't been great.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:53 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
wow that looks really good
Old 12-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

Wow, I'm impressed.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dom
I have no idea why they didn't wait.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dom
Mostly because GM never waits in order to "do it right". In the past they simply have not shown to be believing in that concept. Unlike BMW for example. BMW will be 2 or 3 years late on a segment only to ensure they did it right. ANd even they miss to a certain extend sometimes. An example is the 1 Series. They said, no way this thing will show up in the USA. Although there is need for a smaller than the 3er BMW.

However GM may be changing in the repsect. They did the above with the Opel Corsa. They will not bring it to our shores and wait for the next generation. Although GM did this mostly for cost reason, they at least took the hit for it.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:14 AM
Safety Car

Here is the '08 Malibu in all its glory. Actually, I like it alot (for a bread and butter FWD family sedan).

Rule three of automotive journalism: When a domestic carmaker introduces a new midsize, midprice sedan, reviewers are to write, "They're now as good as Camry and Accord." So here goes. The 2008 Chevy Malibu, which Chevrolet will introduce at the 2007 Detroit Auto Show, looks like it's now as good as the Camry and Accord.

Our obligation to the profession complete, it's only fair that we ask you to check back a few months from now to see what we think of the new 'Bu after we actually drive the thing. But, we must say, the completely restyled, more powerful Malibu sedan really does look pretty good.

Aura underneath
On sale in the fall, the 2008 Malibu sedan still uses GM's front-wheel-drive Epsilon platform, which also underpins the Pontiac G6, Saturn Aura and, in a somewhat modified form, the Saab 9-3. But the new model uses the long-wheelbase (112.3-inch) version that was formerly used for the Malibu Maxx quasi-station-wagon/five-door-hatch thing. The Aura and G6 share this long version. So the Malibu (along with the Aura and G6) now has a longer wheelbase than all major competitors. It's between 3 and 5 inches longer than the Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, Toyota Camry, etc.

Curiously, according to GM's figures, this stretch doesn't provide significantly more rear-seat legroom. Of the Japanese entries, only the sporty Altima has significantly less room in the rear. We wonder if GM's new measuring tape is incorrectly marked because, according to the specifications, the longer 2008 Malibu has less rear-seat legroom than the shorter 2007 version. We'll have to climb into the back of the new car at the Detroit auto show and try it for ourselves.

More power
What is not in doubt is the improvement in the powertrain. Chevrolet ditched the 224-horsepower pushrod 3.5-liter V6 in favor of a 252-hp double-overhead-cam 3.6-liter V6. The new engine is also available on the upmarket version of the Saturn Aura. The company likewise threw out the four-speed automatic and bolted a six-speed auto, with optional steering-wheel-mounted shifting, in its place. It's a combination that's impressed us in the Aura XR. And while the similarly sized Toyota and Nissan motors make more horsepower, 252 is more than adequate output for a family car.

The Malibu's new base motor, a 2.4-liter Ecotec double-overhead four-cylinder, makes 20 more hp than the outgoing 2.2-liter Ecotec. Rated at 164 hp, the new motor has as much juice as most direct competitors. A six-speed automatic transmission is also available with the Ecotec, although it comes only on Malibus with the upmarket LTZ treatment. The versions in the more budget-minded LS and LT trim lines get a four-speed automatic.

The swan
But the outgoing Malibu was never considered too small compared to competitors. And the old 3.5-liter, while lacking dual-overhead cams and variable-valve timing, made decent power. The real sticking point with the old Malibu was always its intentionally staid, rental-fleet looks and ugly, budget-basement interior.

Clean and smooth, the new design is worlds better-looking than the old car. The 2008 Malibu has a more purposeful stance and looks significantly wider than the outgoing model, though it is only a fraction of an inch broader. The new front end, with its two vertically stacked grille openings and dual round headlights per side, is, as the designers like to say, the new face of Chevrolet cars — so get used to it. We think it looks more upscale than the outgoing car and the bulging hood gives the nose a passing resemblance to the new Camry.

The rear end, while a definite improvement over the old car, reminds us of the Acura TL and the finally dead Mitsubishi Diamante. But that might just be us.

Inner beauty
It's no coincidence that the first sneak-peek image that Chevrolet released of the 2008 Malibu was an interior rendering. The company spent an unusual amount of time and energy on the interior.

The new dual-pod dash is an attractive, if not particularly original, design. And the new two-tone color combinations (with names such as Cocoa and Cashmere) should provide a little relief from the rental-car monotonous gray. Chevrolet also promises higher-quality material inside, including a cast-skin material to cover the instrument panel.

Standard active and passive safety features will include side curtain airbags for front and rear passengers, seat-mounted thorax-protection airbags for front passengers, ABS and traction control. Upmarket LT and LTZ models come with StabiliTrak electronic stability control.

Should be a good fight
It all looks like a good package and pricing, though not yet announced, is expected to rise only slightly. The 2008 Malibu might just be catching up to Camry and Accord, but the gap does seem to be closing rapidly. Of course, the new Accord will arrive on the market at about the same time as this Malibu, so check back with us in a year.

From Edmunds Inside Line

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
Old 12-29-2006, 12:26 AM
Safety Car

Thank GOD Chevy decided to create a simple, competitive powertrain lineup. The 3.6L HFV6 and new 2.4 Ecotec is just what the doctor ordered, especially since both available with the new 6spd. I like the interior design alot; I look foward to seeing just how nice the materials are.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Suzuka Master

A HUGE improvement. I like the front and side view, but not sure about the back. The new engine, transmission and interior are huge improvements as well. Good to see GM got a bit more competitive.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:19 AM
Everyday Joe

^^^^ I agree completely on the exterior views...front/side look good. Rear- not so much....the tailights have that G35 look to them.

Don't know why, but I'm almost always prefer the black interiors of cars.....this one looks good too.

Just like a previous poster, I may actually request this one from Hertz for our next rental
Old 12-29-2006, 07:25 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
As the writer says, let's wait for the test drive.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:16 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Bone-headed move to keep the 4-speed automatic in the lower priced models. If it had the 6-speed, I'd pick it over the Accord.

I like the overall design, but the rear is really weak. The size, though, is a compelling feature itself. Bigger than the Camry? I don't know if they're referring to the old one or the new one, cause the new one's pretty sizable. It's on the verge of spilling over into the next size category.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I think it looks nice. Nice move for chevy.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by phile
Bone-headed move to keep the 4-speed automatic in the lower priced models. If it had the 6-speed, I'd pick it over the Accord.

I like the overall design, but the rear is really weak. The size, though, is a compelling feature itself. Bigger than the Camry? I don't know if they're referring to the old one or the new one, cause the new one's pretty sizable. It's on the verge of spilling over into the next size category.
I agree 100% on the tranny issue. My guess is that the reason it's not available across the board yet is a production issue of the 6spd. It's just like when the new GMT900s came out... the 6spd was available only on the Caddy's engine, and that the 6spd would trickle down to the other models as more became available. Who knows... hopefully, they'll have the 6spd on tap of all of these vehicles soon.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Safety Car

Its nice, the tranny thing is stupid. If the 4-speed is for the low end models they're making the car too low priced, its just bad for the car. The car having so many interior color choices is a place where they could have saved some cost.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:00 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
looked so good until i saw the rear. too buick/hyundai-ish
Old 12-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Looks better than the last gen, but still pretty "yuck" to me.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:43 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not terribly impressed by the grill or the rear (dude said it reminds him of TL...uh..yeah..right..looks more like a civic rear to me). 4 speed 4 cyl doesn't seem that off for economy buyers, they do offer the 6 on the 'upscale' LTZ so I'm not sure where the issue is there (I guess it would be nice if they had a 5 speed to offer, but they don't). GM is putting out some nice two tones, I wonder if the feel matchs the look.

Quick Reply: Next Gen. Chevrolet Malibu News **Video of the introduction the Malibu (page 5)**