NEW July 28th: More Pictures of 2004 TL in high res & multiple colors!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003 | 03:44 PM
Pro

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
This is a public forum based on opinion and fact.

Additionally, it serves as a sounding board for both positive and negative feedback!

Democracy is a wonderful thing!
That still doesn't change the fact that some of you people b*tch too much!
Old 08-01-2003 | 07:38 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by jwaters943
That still doesn't change the fact that some of you people b*tch too much!

Exactly!
There are 250 million people in this country. You cannot please them all. If you like somethin someone else won't. If you don't like the car dont buy it. No car anywhere is perfect. And if you say it is one You full of Sh!t
Old 08-01-2003 | 07:58 PM
Instructor

The more I look at the handbrake, I think they could have made it look a little better, or at least made it fit a little flusher.....Just seems like it sticks up way to much?

To me, the cupholders do not look like they will be covered up in anyway, unless there is a cover that slides over top of it and it does not seem to be that way? Other than that I think its a winner and Im sure one will be in my garage before X-mas
Old 08-02-2003 | 02:02 AM
Cruisin'

hey guys, i got a question about those 3421 plates. i have them registered but i keep gettin damned delinquent parking violations in the mail and have been on a man hunt for the bastards that are using my plates. drumsy from the honda-acura.net boards sent me over here to check out the pics. my question: are those plates put onto the cars straight off the factory floor or are they installed by a dealer? i've talked to both the dmv and went to honda headquarters and the dmv tells me to talk to the cities sending me the citations which is all over the US, and honda claims that they know nothing about the 3421 plates. any ideas out there? anymore pics? i live in torrance where the honda headquarters is so i wouldn't mind going there with a stack of pictures of my plates on their cars... thanks guys
Old 08-02-2003 | 06:59 AM
Advanced

Any reason why the handbrake is on the right side of the cupholders, i.e., further away from the driver. Most of the time it is on the left side closer to the driver or in the middle.

Old 08-02-2003 | 07:36 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Booyah
The more I look at the handbrake, I think they could have made it look a little better, or at least made it fit a little flusher.....Just seems like it sticks up way to much?

To me, the cupholders do not look like they will be covered up in anyway, unless there is a cover that slides over top of it and it does not seem to be that way? Other than that I think its a winner and Im sure one will be in my garage before X-mas
TRUST ME, the cupholders will be covered. All other Acura vehicles have a cover over the cupholders....even my Honda Civic had a cover. From what the pictures show it seems like it might be a sliding type cover and it's just rolled back towards the armrest/center storage compartment area.
Old 08-02-2003 | 02:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by wolvie3421
hey guys, i got a question about those 3421 plates. i have them registered but i keep gettin damned delinquent parking violations in the mail and have been on a man hunt for the bastards that are using my plates. drumsy from the honda-acura.net boards sent me over here to check out the pics. my question: are those plates put onto the cars straight off the factory floor or are they installed by a dealer? i've talked to both the dmv and went to honda headquarters and the dmv tells me to talk to the cities sending me the citations which is all over the US, and honda claims that they know nothing about the 3421 plates. any ideas out there? anymore pics? i live in torrance where the honda headquarters is so i wouldn't mind going there with a stack of pictures of my plates on their cars... thanks guys
LOL your license plate is 3421? That's too funny. ALL Honda/Acura test cars use that plate. In fact, the TSX the TOV is testing now has that plate. Man that sucks lol
Old 08-02-2003 | 05:27 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by RJC RSX
LOL your license plate is 3421? That's too funny. ALL Honda/Acura test cars use that plate. In fact, the TSX the TOV is testing now has that plate. Man that sucks lol
hell yeah this sucks... what do you mean by test cars? who has access to these test cars? i'm about to go back to honda headquarters and unleash some wolvie on them...
Old 08-02-2003 | 06:46 PM
Burning Brakes

hell yeah this sucks... what do you mean by test cars? who has access to these test cars? i'm about to go back to honda headquarters and unleash some wolvie on them...
Test cars they give to journalists and stuff. It's honda's distributor plate, all the cars the press gets have those tags. Right now there are likely dozens of honda/acura cars with the plate 3421 and California tags all over the country. LOL I'm still laughing, that really sucks. TOV had a 6sp accord vs. tsx video posted a few weeks ago that showed the CA 3421 plate on the car.
Old 08-02-2003 | 08:31 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Gebbeth
Any reason why the handbrake is on the right side of the cupholders, i.e., further away from the driver. Most of the time it is on the left side closer to the driver or in the middle.

If you take the time to notice, some of Honda's sport/sporty cars have the handbrake by the passenger side. The del Sol, Prelude, S2000, and NSX have it there. I don't see why some of you find it so odd.
Old 08-03-2003 | 04:47 AM
Cruisin'

Test cars they give to journalists and stuff. It's honda's distributor plate, all the cars the press gets have those tags. Right now there are likely dozens of honda/acura cars with the plate 3421 and California tags all over the country. LOL I'm still laughing, that really sucks. TOV had a 6sp accord vs. tsx video posted a few weeks ago that showed the CA 3421 plate on the car.
damn...thanks for the info..heh... what's TOV? i'm trying to gather up a good amount of evidence before i show up at honda headquarters.
Old 08-03-2003 | 08:24 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by BuddySol
If you take the time to notice, some of Honda's sport/sporty cars have the handbrake by the passenger side. The del Sol, Prelude, S2000, and NSX have it there. I don't see why some of you find it so odd.
Not just Hondas. Many other cars have it there, too. Several that come to mind are the Mitsu Eclipse and the RX-8.
Old 08-03-2003 | 09:29 AM
2nd Gear

Ok folks I am new to this board but I can help answer your questions about the new TL.
1) Available to dealers early Oct.
2)It is getting the HID and LED lighting
3)The darker interior color is called Butterscotch
4)No 18" wheel is available...17's are it
5)The sport models get 17's,Brembos and 6spd(all together)
6)Brembos and 6spd aren't available on any thing other than the sport
7)Voice activated Cell,Navi,and On-Star
8)No AWD...FWD only
9)Cupholders DO get a cover that slides back into the console
10)'blue' interior ambience lighting
11) Reverse glow(VW style) gauges
12)Brembo 4piston calipers and Carbon steel rotors...front only
13)Michelin tires are what comes on the 17's(can't rememver the model but they are a 'no-curb' style of tire)
14)Perforated leather goes into the sport models and solid leather goes into the others...no cloth interior...ever
15)Navi screen is 16:9 widescreen, bluetooth technology and 5.1 digital sound
16)Auto-dim headlights and mirrors
17)Accelerator pedal IS hinged at the floor
18)Who ever said it about the wood/aluminum...The wood is FAKE and the Aluminum is REAL...trust me!
19)Engine is the same 3.2 that is in the current TL's
20)E-Brake and steering wheel are actual leather
21) 6Disc in dash CD
22) NO rear screens
23) No rear camera

FYI...the transmissions are NOT built in Japan, they are built in Ohio about 40 miles from the Auto plant.
The Acura TL and Honda Accord are built on the EXACT same line by the EXACT same people...

Later,
WEIMER
Old 08-03-2003 | 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

damn...thanks for the info..heh... what's TOV? i'm trying to gather up a good amount of evidence before i show up at honda headquarters.
TOV = Temple of VTEC ... www.vtec.net

They are the Honda enthusiast website for news and stuff.

Read Tuan's comments in this thread.
Old 08-03-2003 | 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by weimer
Ok folks I am new to this board but I can help answer your questions about the new TL.
2)It is getting the HID and LED lighting
14)Perforated leather goes into the sport models and solid leather goes into the others...no cloth interior...ever
15)Navi screen is 16:9 widescreen, bluetooth technology and 5.1 digital sound
16)Auto-dim headlights and mirrors
Hey thanks...

2) Are the HID's bi-xenon? Will there be foglights from the factory?
3) Do you know if Butterscotch is the marketed name for the "Camel" interior, which is a horrible name.
14) We've already seen perforated leather on the auto...
15) YOU CAN WATCH DVD MOVIES ON THE NAV SCREEN???
16) What are auto-dim headlights? edit: does that allow you to have your hi-beams on and it senses oncoming traffic and turns them to low? That's awesome!
Old 08-03-2003 | 02:59 PM
Instructor

18)Who ever said it about the wood/aluminum...The wood is FAKE and the Aluminum is REAL...trust me!

Later,
WEIMER [/B]
In regards to the wood/ aluminum trim. We know the ebony doesn't have wood trim. We know the camel (Butterscotch) and presumably the parchment have woodgrain trim. What about the Quartz? Is it wood like the MDX or metal like the TSX? Also do you know if the door sills are aluminum?
Old 08-03-2003 | 09:36 PM
Intermediate

Nice!
Old 08-03-2003 | 10:02 PM
Pro

Originally posted by stlgasman
In regards to the wood/ aluminum trim. We know the ebony doesn't have wood trim. We know the camel (Butterscotch) and presumably the parchment have woodgrain trim. What about the Quartz? Is it wood like the MDX or metal like the TSX? Also do you know if the door sills are aluminum?
Justin indicated that the quartz does not have wood trim.
Old 08-03-2003 | 11:40 PM
Banned

This is a public forum based on opinion and fact.

Additionally, it serves as a sounding board for both positive and negative feedback!

Democracy is a wonderful thing!
Yeah, and besides we LIKE to bitch!
Old 08-04-2003 | 01:52 AM
Race Director

weimer do you know if there is adaptive cruise control?
Old 08-04-2003 | 06:18 AM
Racer

Originally posted by 2004TL
weimer do you know if there is adaptive cruise control?
I don't think a car in this price range would have adaptive cruise control, seeing as how it's often a very expensive option for upscale luxury cars, but I do wonder why there are +/- and max buttons on both sides of the steering wheel. The standard cruise control buttons are on the steering wheel, but these mysterious buttons could be the interval adjustment controls used to set the following distance. Of course, it was also suggested that they are to control the luminosity of the display, but why then would there be two sets of such controls?

I'm really hoping there are rain-sensing wipers. The Accords in Europe and Japan have them, so I think it's time to send em over here as well...
Old 08-04-2003 | 07:02 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by need4spd
Justin indicated that the quartz does not have wood trim.
Thanks, but I interpreted it as speculation.
Old 08-04-2003 | 07:48 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by princed
I'm really hoping there are rain-sensing wipers. The Accords in Europe and Japan have them, so I think it's time to send em over here as well...
I'm thinking it will. As I mentioned before, the upper console (on the roof) extends pretty far into the windshield. I don't know of anything else that would warrant that, so I'm guessing its the wipers.
Old 08-04-2003 | 01:55 PM
Pro

I don't think a car in this price range would have adaptive cruise control, seeing as how it's often a very expensive option for upscale luxury cars, but I do wonder why there are +/- and max buttons on both sides of the steering wheel. The standard cruise control buttons are on the steering wheel, but these mysterious buttons could be the interval adjustment controls used to set the following distance. Of course, it was also suggested that they are to control the luminosity of the display, but why then would there be two sets of such controls?

+/- and max are probably for dash light brightness.
Old 08-04-2003 | 04:26 PM
Pro

Originally posted by stlgasman
Thanks, but I interpreted it as speculation.
Justin has been pretty acurate on his info, and if he says it, it usually is fact, not speculation.
Old 08-05-2003 | 07:38 AM
Suzuka Master

9)Cupholders DO get a cover that slides back into the console

12)Brembo 4piston calipers and Carbon steel rotors...front only

Later,
WEIMER
So you are confirming everyone's feat that Brembo brakes will only be on the front?

--------------
TRUST ME, the cupholders will be covered. All other Acura vehicles have a cover over the cupholders....even my Honda Civic had a cover. From what the pictures show it seems like it might be a sliding type cover and it's just rolled back towards the armrest/center storage compartment area.

Last edited by jwaters943 on 08-02-2003 at 07:48 AM

FYI, my wife's 03 Accord EX-V6-Navi has the e-brake on the driver's side and the cupholders are NOT covered!
Old 08-05-2003 | 08:59 AM
Pro

So you are confirming everyone's feat that Brembo brakes will only be on the front?

--------------

Last edited by jwaters943 on 08-02-2003 at 07:48 AM

FYI, my wife's 03 Accord EX-V6-Navi has the e-brake on the driver's side and the cupholders are NOT covered!
Okay, so we disagree then. To my eye it seems pretty obvious there will be some sort of cover over the cupholders. There is an obvious groove around the sides and a small rubber stopper towards the front of the cupholder. Either way, not a huge issue. I have a feeling we'll see some "official" pics on this site within the next month and then we'll know for sure.
Old 08-05-2003 | 10:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by jwaters943
Okay, so we disagree then. To my eye it seems pretty obvious there will be some sort of cover over the cupholders. There is an obvious groove around the sides and a small rubber stopper towards the front of the cupholder. Either way, not a huge issue. I have a feeling we'll see some "official" pics on this site within the next month and then we'll know for sure.
I hope you are right.

My post was not to mince words, but share experience.

One of the greatest cars I ever owned (96 Maxima SE 5-speed) did not have covered cupholders and there was always dust and lint in there. I believe Nissan covered them the next year, but it took three years into the bodystyle's life.

Personally, I do not really eat of drink in my TL, but I want the holders covered, in case I need to run wires or something through that area of the car.
Old 08-05-2003 | 08:12 PM
Racer

Originally posted by PokeyD16Z
I'm thinking it will. As I mentioned before, the upper console (on the roof) extends pretty far into the windshield. I don't know of anything else that would warrant that, so I'm guessing its the wipers.
That's an excellent point. I just rewatched the Honda "Cog" commercial from Europe, which clearly shows the size of the rain sensor, and, as you said, the rain sensor on the windshield was just about the area covered by the console. Question, though... Do cars with rain-sensing wipers tend to have variable intermittent controls as well? One of the 4 megapixel photos taken through the windshield (with the black interior) shows the wiper control stalk, and it clearly has the inner dial for adjusting the time delay.
Old 08-05-2003 | 08:57 PM
Race Director

Are you joking me or something?

The FX35/45, the RX330 all have adaptive cruise control..

It is soon to be offered on many cars in the 30k-40k range, so I dont get why you say its not something available in the range, because I am almost positive it will be on the car for some reason..

Some people also pointed out it will be on the car..
Old 08-05-2003 | 09:33 PM
Racer

Originally posted by 2004TL
Are you joking me or something?

The FX35/45, the RX330 all have adaptive cruise control..

It is soon to be offered on many cars in the 30k-40k range, so I dont get why you say its not something available in the range, because I am almost positive it will be on the car for some reason..

Some people also pointed out it will be on the car..
Yes, but to actually get the cruise control on either of those cars, you have to pretty much price them beyond $40k... Believe me, I am definitely hoping that Acura decides to offer it -- things like adaptive cruise control, rear back-up camera, rain-sensing wipers, power tilt/telescoping steering, etc. are all very useful and practical luxury items that I wish Acura would include in the TL. While Bluetooth and DVD-Audio are indeed interesting and innovative features, I'd easily trade them both for more mundane luxury features (or an Intelligent Key/Keyless Go system, hehe)...
Old 08-06-2003 | 08:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Well stated, I would definitely trade the DVD-audio for power tilt/telescoping wheel and intelligent key, not to mention ventilated seats.
Old 08-06-2003 | 09:50 AM
Intermediate

how diferent the dvd 5.1 suround sound can it sound from the regular cd player ??????????
Old 08-06-2003 | 10:16 AM
Suzuka Master

It is dramatically different. You are having five channel separation, vs. only left-right separation.

DVD-Audio is a great thing, but there are probably 5-10 things I'd rather have in it's place.

Intelligent key
Ventilated seats
Power tilt/telescoping wheel
Auto Up/Down on all windows
Power lumbar adjustment
Adaptive cruise control
Rain-sensing wipers
and more...
Old 08-06-2003 | 10:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Well stated, I would definitely trade the DVD-audio for power tilt/telescoping wheel and intelligent key, not to mention ventilated seats.
oh come on, like the dvd audio is that expensive, it was probably an extra $50 for them to add it
Old 08-06-2003 | 10:33 AM
Suzuka Master

You are probably in the ball park with the cost being low. The point is I'd like to see something more practical.

If I had my choice, I'd take anything in the above list first.
Old 08-06-2003 | 01:37 PM
Intermediate

i hear ya! , thanks emuMessenger......

i guess i'll let you know how good is the sound system when i take first delivery on my '04 TL the first week of October!!!

can't wait guys !!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2003 | 01:45 PM
Racer

It is dramatically different. You are having five channel separation, vs. only left-right separation.

DVD-Audio is a great thing, but there are probably 5-10 things I'd rather have in it's place.

Intelligent key
Ventilated seats
Power tilt/telescoping wheel
Auto Up/Down on all windows
Power lumbar adjustment
Adaptive cruise control
Rain-sensing wipers
and more...
I agree wholeheartedly with the above list. Sadly, it looks as if the new TL will only have rain-sensing wipers (fingers crossed) and perhaps an adaptive cruise control. If you zoom in closely on the window controls in one of the many pictures posted, it looks as if only the two front windows will be one-touch up/down. If Acura had been able to offer the TL with its current styling and power coupled with the features of the Technology package of the FX35/45, all for under $40k -- I'd pass out with joy.

The 2004 TL and Infinit's FX are really the only two cars out there that create any real visceral impact for me. I just wish that either the TL had the features of the FX w/ tech or that the FX w/ tech was a few thousand cheaper w/ Acura's voice-controlled navi, quartz leather and beautiful interior...
Old 08-06-2003 | 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

i can't see auto up/down windows for the rear, that seems like a safety concern with children. If they were back there, they would have to add the reversal sensor.
Old 08-06-2003 | 02:38 PM
Suzuka Master

i can't see auto up/down windows for the rear, that seems like a safety concern with children. If they were back there, they would have to add the reversal sensor.
I have never tried in my TLS, but don't most/all cars come with pinch sensors now?

Quick Reply: NEW July 28th: More Pictures of 2004 TL in high res & multiple colors!