New Choices for 2004???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003 | 09:04 AM
Cruisin'

New Choices for 2004???

For someone considering a TSX, 325 or similar vehicle, does anyone have a lead on what else might be coming out in that class for 2004?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 08-13-2003 | 11:31 AM
Instructor

Lex is upgrading the ES300 to ES330 with 225hp.
Old 08-13-2003 | 11:35 AM
Pro

Acura is upgrading early 04 TSX to Pure 04TSX w/ 225 hp
Old 08-13-2003 | 11:47 AM
Pro

Re: New Choices for 2004???

Originally posted by clsteve
For someone considering a TSX, 325 or similar vehicle, does anyone have a lead on what else might be coming out in that class for 2004?

Thanks,

Steve
BMW already upgraded their 3 series cars in April for 2004 (ie adaptive brake lights and head lights for all, LED tails for coupe, new nose and tail for cope, etc).

Audi A4 - supposedly NO change (I had heard that they will be painted all one color vs black on bottom, but dealer denied). Oh, other than the S4 comming out in 2004 (RS4 in 2005 with twin turbo 6, 370hp, btw)

new subaru Legacy with 240hp turbo 4 or same hp 6, see this months c&d for photos (and a past thread http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=3).

Old 08-13-2003 | 12:20 PM
Cruisin'

Any info. on the new-gen. Solara?
Old 08-13-2003 | 12:24 PM

Originally posted by moreace
what's Pure 04TSX?
Old 08-13-2003 | 12:40 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: New Choices for 2004???

Originally posted by need4spd

Audi A4 - supposedly NO change (I had heard that they will be painted all one color vs black on bottom, but dealer denied). Oh, other than the S4 comming out in 2004 (RS4 in 2005 with twin turbo 6, 370hp, btw)
Actually, I believe the full body color paint on the A4 is true for '04 models. I was on a local dealer's lot this Sunday where they had one dolphin gray A4 that was body color all around...no gray lower panels (I compared to a '03 in the same color that was two cars over). Also, it had a big fat XM antenna on top.
Old 08-13-2003 | 01:29 PM
Pro

Originally posted by dabuda2004
what's Pure 04TSX?
actual mid Oct release of TSX
when all new models come out (mostly)
Old 08-13-2003 | 01:36 PM
A-TSX Newbie, my ass

Re: Re: New Choices for 2004???

Well, aside from boosting 1.8T (stock) hp to 190, making a 6MT available for 1.8TQuattro's, and adding XM Radio..... NO changes to the A4.
Old 08-13-2003 | 01:40 PM
Pro

Re: Re: Re: New Choices for 2004???

Originally posted by Skyhawk
Well, aside from boosting 1.8T (stock) hp to 190, making a 6MT available for 1.8TQuattro's, and adding XM Radio..... NO changes to the A4.
OK, I was quick to speak, and forgot about the satilite radios, XM and Serius for Audi, guess my dealer forgot to mention the other changes (he said, no to the one tone paint, which the S4's have, and said verbatum, NO Changes).

We all know the sales people are wrong!
Old 08-13-2003 | 01:42 PM
A-TSX Newbie, my ass

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Choices for 2004???

OK, I was quick to speak, and forgot about the satilite radios, XM and Serius for Audi, guess my dealer forgot to mention the other changes (he said, no to the one tone paint, which the S4's have, and said verbatum, NO Changes).

We all know the sales people are wrong!
Yes, sorry. After I posted that I was going to edit it and soften my tone a bit. I didn't mean to chastise you, but whoever you spoke with was misinformed. Some of these sales guys are worthless.
Old 08-13-2003 | 01:52 PM
Pro

No problem

I kind of like the subi, supposed to be below 30k, if you hunt around the japanese web site http://www.subaru.co.jp/legacy/b4/07/ it is pretty nice, LED gauges, tastfully done interior, they have quite a photo gallery at http://www.subaru.co.jp/legacy/bt/index_f.html

two tone interior (black,dark gray), AWD, sub 7 sec 0-60, tastefully styled, will give audi a run for the money, this is the car the TL should be!

Interior is below:

I like this car, too bad it does not come out until spring 2004 (sold now in Japan).

Love the extra gauges on the Nav screen, looks like volts, oil pressure, and maybe oil temp. Acura should be doing that on their nav screen!!!!
Old 08-13-2003 | 02:11 PM
A-TSX Newbie, my ass

Crap!

In fairness, maybe I have been a bit misinformed. I had read several places of a 190hp-1.8T for the 2004 A4.... now I''m reading that may be Europe only.

But the 6MT and satellite radio are definite, and not insignificant in my book.
Old 08-13-2003 | 03:26 PM
Racer

Okay... That Subaru is BEAUTIFUL!!

Wow. Had this car become available this October, I might have had some difficulty deciding on the TL (it's powerful, it looks good, and it's below 30k?!). How are Subarus usually? Good quality? High performance?
Old 08-13-2003 | 03:37 PM
Suzuka Master

That Subaru is IMO much better looking than the 04 TL.
Old 08-13-2003 | 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

I think so, too. If you guys are interested, there's much more info (and discussion) about it here. Enjoy.
Old 08-13-2003 | 03:50 PM
Pro

Originally posted by princed
Okay... That Subaru is BEAUTIFUL!!

Wow. Had this car become available this October, I might have had some difficulty deciding on the TL (it's powerful, it looks good, and it's below 30k?!). How are Subarus usually? Good quality? High performance?
Totally agree princed, I am in the same situation, barely holding out for October, can not wait till spring. to answer your questions, yes and yes (quality and performance are very good).

My friend has a WRX, beats the piss out of it, holds up very well. The 240hp turbo 4 they are putting in it is out of the WRX. Textures in the WRX I was in are not bad (not as good as acura/lexus/bmw, etc, but over all better than a Nissan/infinity. The articles I have read on the new Subaru B4 (ie legacy, not not legend) is that it is intended to bring Subaru even more upscale, they spoke about the interior getting more attention, and from the photo's I have to agree.

Arrgh - If I can only wait until spring, I can save some $, get the AWD I wanted, and still have a sub-7 second car. Hmmmmmm
Old 08-13-2003 | 05:58 PM
Racer

Arrgh - If I can only wait until spring, I can save some $, get the AWD I wanted, and still have a sub-7 second car. Hmmmmmm
Car and Driver previewed the 280hp 2.0L turbo (only for release in Japan :'( ), which had a 0-62mph time of 5.8s!! We're getting a 250hp 2.5L turbo and a 250hp flat-6. So you could probably get an AWD sedan closer to the sub-6 second mark! This car is going to create a stir in the sub-$30k price segment...

And as others have mentioned, the styling of the car is reminiscent of so many other cars -- the front has some Mustang and Honda, the side reminds me a bit of Maxima/G35, and the rear seems to have some Audi (A4-B5 chassis), BMW and Volvo influence...
Old 08-13-2003 | 06:54 PM
Instructor

2004 Solara

Originally posted by clsteve
Any info. on the new-gen. Solara?
Not much is changed, still based on the Camary. Now looks like a cheap SC430. Share all same power plant as Camary and may have a bit more sporty ride.

The all-new 2004 Toyota Camry Solara coupe made its world premiere at a press conference today at the 2003 New York Auto Show.

The all-new second generation Solara is the most American of any Toyota to date. Born and bred in the United States, the Solara's product planning, technical and styling development was managed by Toyota Technical Center (TTC) in Ann Arbor, Mich., Calty Design Research in Newport Beach, Calif., and Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. Finally, Solara will be built exclusively at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky in Georgetown.

"With all aspects of the all-new Solara's development taking place in the United States, the total package was completed in less than two years," said Don Esmond, senior vice president and general manager, Toyota Division. "The final creation is a new Solara that is sportier, more powerful, more refined and larger, inside and out, than its predecessor."

The 2004 Solara will be available in the SLE, SE and SE Sport grades, each with its own interior surface treatments. The SLE model will receive a rich wood-grain trim, while a brushed aluminum and silver finish trim will be applied to the SE grade. SE models equipped with an all-new Sports Package will feature a unique interior complete with black graphite-accented trim.

Solara will be equipped with either a V6 or four-cylinder engine. The Solara's all-new 3.3-liter V6 will generate 225 horsepower at 5,600 RPM, an increase of 27 horsepower, and 240 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,600 RPM, 28 more lb.-ft. of torque than the current model. With both engines, Solara will be EPA-certified as an Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV). Solaras equipped with the V6 will be mated to an all-new five-speed automatic sequential transmission.

Solara's increased power will be smoothly transferred to the wheels via a performance-tuned suspension. Virtually every mounting and pivot point between the suspension and the body has been repositioned and recalibrated. Specially-tuned struts improve Solara's ride quality, while unique springs and front and rear stabilizer bars reduce body roll and pitch, resulting in a stable yet invigorating steering feel and response. Stopping power and feel is enhanced with standard four-wheel disc brakes.

The styling concept of the all-new Solara integrates both convex and concave surfaces that flow dynamically down the length of the car to give Solara its characteristic shape and advanced style. An extensive and pronounced "V" character line begins at the grille to separate aggressive elongated "eye" shaped headlamps that enhance Solara's sporty image. Solara's front fascia is further complemented by fog lamps that provide a wider, aggressive look and stance.

The exterior culminates with rounded corners at the rear that blend into an integrated rear bumper, highlighting the look and design of the rear deck. Bumper height was reduced on the new Solara to give it a sportier stance and body gaps were narrowed. The rear combination lamp begins at the end of the character line forming an emotional teardrop shape, while an optional rear spoiler further strengthens the Solara's sense of style.

Like its exterior, the Solara interior evokes a sporty and stylish image highlighted by a restyled instrument panel and center-mounted multi-function display featuring the time, outside temperature gauge, fuel consumption, average speed and elapsed time. Solara targets class leading fit and finish quality by narrowing gaps between interior surfaces by 0.5 millimeters or less, the design of an invisible front-passenger airbag, and chrome accents.

The 2004 Solara offers an amazing 20 percent increase in interior storage space by providing for a new front console box, cupholders that double as additional storage, and a center console that offers dual storage units. Solara also offers built-in storage and cupholders in the rear quarter panel. The front console door, glove box and register knobs utilize silicone dampers for smooth operation.

New for Solara are Satellite XM radio, and navigation system options. The Solara receives the latest generation in Toyota's DVD-based navigation systems. It features more than five million verified data points and its route searching capabilities are more than twice as fast as competitive systems. The Solara's 6.7-inch screen is among the biggest on the market today.

A target of best-in-class safety features will be supported by Solara's use of standard front side-impact airbags, four-wheel ABS and independent rear seat headrests. Front and rear curtain side airbags also will be available.

The new Sports Package, available on SE models, will include a special five-piece body kit, a unique dark-charcoal interior with black graphite trim, sport-fabric seats, exclusive sport gauges and meter colors, sport tires wrapped around 17-inch wheels, a leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob and distinctive aluminum pedals. The Sports Package also will feature a performance-tuned suspension that includes stiffer front and rear springs, as well as sport-tuned front and rear shock absorbers.

The first generation Solara debuted in the fall of 1998 and was developed to target a new opportunity in the sport specialty segment. The new Solara's appeal will extend beyond just one set demographic, it will appeal more to consumers' lifestyles rather than life stages.

"The all-new Solara was engineered and designed in America for a variety of American tastes," said Esmond. "Consumer appeal in Solara will range from style, to design, to impressions, to excitement. The Solara buyer will want something extra in life regardless of their age or life stage."

The first 2004 Solara model will roll off the line later this summer and will go on sale mid-August.

Old 08-13-2003 | 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Needs dual exhaust.
Old 08-13-2003 | 08:27 PM
Burning Brakes

fugly POS
Old 08-13-2003 | 09:27 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by moreace
Forgive me if I am ignorant, but when did this little tidbit come out? Or are you just making this up? I'm having a heckuva time deciding between TSX or RSX, and a little extra hp would make all the difference. Has there been a TSX vs. RSX discussion on this board? I'd love to read all the opinions!
Old 08-13-2003 | 10:01 PM
Instructor

the solara always has looked like a cheap SC
Old 08-13-2003 | 10:35 PM
Pro

The solara looks like a fugly POS - IMO

Did not like it in person at the auto show either, besides the photos, the last body style was much better.
Old 08-14-2003 | 03:30 AM
Racer

The 3 series only have a minor change for the 04 models. However either for the 05 or 06 they are doing a complete make over. With a new engine as well.

The IS300 will be seeing a complete makeover as well. Not really too sure when but im guessing 05.

Benz C230 Sedan might have a minor facelift. Nothing too serious. The dash board might change slightly. The major change is scheduled for i think 06-07.

The IS300 is going at invoice i think... and as soon as the new 3 series comes closer im sure it'll drop in price as well.
Old 08-14-2003 | 11:18 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the pix and write-up, Xtrema.

Boy, my '01 CL sure looks good in comparison - maybe I don't need a new car. Not.

BTW - This is off-topic (that doesn't seem to be much of a problem on this Board) but anyone know of a good website to sell my CL if I can't sell it privately? Is there a dedicated Acura Board with a "used car lot"?

Steve
Old 08-14-2003 | 12:14 PM

yikes! the solora almost looks like the older tiburon from the back!
Old 08-14-2003 | 12:18 PM

the subaru looks nice, and IMO is a better option then the A4 for someone looking for a AWD sedan
Old 08-14-2003 | 12:18 PM
Advanced

Here I go again, ranting and raving about Acura's direction. I'll keep it short. It's much easier for car companies to go into Acura's segment, i.e., near luxury with an emphasis on performance. Everyone has a V-6 that can generate power in the 200 - 300 HP range and it doesn't take a lot to add interior appointments and doodads and doohickeys (note EVERYONE HAS A NAV). Subaru's new Legacy in creeping into Acura TL/TSX range and Acura has more to loose when it does. Lexus looks like they are aiming for entry lux models with their new I4 and lower output V-6 and Saab is coming out with the 9-1 (Merc tried with the C230 coupe and I'm sure BMW will attempt another 318 type car).

That Subaru may turn out to be a TL/TSX killer and Acura is going to pay for its only FWD and V-6 decisions.
Old 08-14-2003 | 12:21 PM
OG

^ Can somebody plz stop rewinding and replaying the above recorded message.
Old 08-14-2003 | 12:26 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Gebbeth
That Subaru may turn out to be a TL/TSX killer and Acura is going to pay for its only FWD and V-6 decisions.
Bravo! From the current direction, looks like Acura will be dead in 10 yrs when everybody invade its market.
Old 08-14-2003 | 01:06 PM
Advanced

justinjsw:

Look at the responses from your own Acura/Honda fans, including me. The Subaru is going to be a formidable competitor to YOUR Acura dealership. They are coming IN with AWD with about the same HP of the TL and the option of Turbo or normally aspirated flat 6. My guess, like with the WRX, eventually the 280HP turbo will come to the US which means it will outhorsepower the TLs 270.

Just open your eyes for heavens sake and be balanced and fair.
Old 08-14-2003 | 01:10 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Xtrema
Bravo! From the current direction, looks like Acura will be dead in 10 yrs when everybody invade its market.
i bet that most people that have tl's don't even know what FWD and RWD mean, or the differences between them. so it might not matter at all.
Old 08-14-2003 | 01:14 PM
OG

justinjsw:

Look at the responses from your own Acura/Honda fans, including me. The Subaru is going to be a formidable competitor to YOUR Acura dealership. They are coming IN with AWD with about the same HP of the TL and the option of Turbo or normally aspirated flat 6. My guess, like with the WRX, eventually the 280HP turbo will come to the US which means it will outhorsepower the TLs 270.

Just open your eyes for heavens sake and be balanced and fair.
Dude what the heck are you talking about. Since day one I have said I wish we had more options to offer. I don't built this damn cars, I don't have much of a say in what Honda wants to do or the direction they want to go in. If Honda goes BK in 10 years so be it...its their own damn fault.

That still doesn't mean its not a broken record you are playing.
Old 08-14-2003 | 01:30 PM
Advanced

I find it hard to believe that Acura is so deaf in the ears that they can't or don't want to listen to the drum beat of their own customers. After all, isn't this what a consumer oriented company is suppossed to do, give their fans/customers what they want.

It's one thing to say "you're a broken record." But, I'd put it another way, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I've sent letters to Acura many times about how much of a fan I am of their cars and hope they come out with higher performance cars, etc. I've sent letters about certain recurring problems with their cars (minor ones, but irritating but FIXABLE problems). I KNOW I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE.

But what you are telling me is that THEY DON'T CARE!!!! Great! That makes me feel great about my most recent Acura purchase. I'm mean are you telling me that Honda/Acura just doesn't care anymore about their long-standing customers' desires? Geez, for the luv of....

I make my own money and am pretty good at what I do. I can move upscale and hope I can do it within Honda/Acura. But they are beginning to not offer what I want and can afford. So if they lose me, they need to find someone to fill my niche (and the hundreds of thousands of people like me). But when that person comes up, may be Infiniti, Lexus, Saab, BMW and Merc...and hell Honda (because Honda/Acura are becoming indistinguishable), Nissan, Subaru, Toyota and Mitsubishi will also be waiting in the wings.

Broken record, or someone who really cares. You call it. All I know is that if I go into another Acura dealership, I hope that the person I talk to actually cares about my opinions and desires.
Old 08-14-2003 | 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

I am willing to buy another brand, if the right car is released, but I do not think Honda will go bankrupt for a bad '04 TL, or anything in the near future. Acura may one day die, but Honda will not!
Old 08-14-2003 | 02:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Am I the only one who thinks Honda/Acura is pretty much doing everything right?
Old 08-14-2003 | 03:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by RJC RSX
Aside from not including fog/driving lights, ventilated seats and Brembo brakes in the rear on the 6MT, I have no REAL complaints.
Old 08-14-2003 | 06:08 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by RJC RSX
Amen! Despite the current sagging economy, only BMW and Honda can point to good numbers. The rest are in the red! This of course is not a sign of bad decision making. So what, Subaru comes out with one great car? The WRX doesn't touch Honda build quality and is out of its price range for the people who want it. (the kids)

All of these people (not limited to this thread, or board for this matter) have a right to their opinion. But I find it kind of funny that these people think they have all, or some of the answers. If these peoples' business sense and ideas for innovation are soooo great, why aren't they sitting as VP of Product Planning or something like that. I'd be willing to bet that these people have at best 5% of the creditials it would take to make these decisions - apparently it is these people who work for Ford and GM.

I've been waiting MONTHS to say that. Now, I'll probably become the broken record.
Old 08-14-2003 | 07:33 PM
Banned

justinjsw:

Look at the responses from your own Acura/Honda fans, including me.
Don't count Xtrema among the Acura/Honda fans. He bought an Altima. Don't count me either. I am no fan of AWD. IMA powering the rear wheels, now THERE's a concept.

Quick Reply: New Choices for 2004???