Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 10:56 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Morgan: Aero 8 news

LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW: Morgan to bring the Aero 8 to the United States

By Dale Jewett
Automotive News / December 30, 2003

LOS ANGELES -- For the past four years, Charles Morgan has focused on ensuring that the classic car design that carries the family's name is prepared for the future.

Morgan's strategy for accomplishing that is embodied in the two-seat Aero 8, which has sold more than 300 units in Europe over the past 18 months. Now the family-owned company is prepared to bring it to U.S. customers next year.

But creating the Aero 8 has called for the same type of entrepreneurial daring-do that would be understood by those willing to pay $95,000 for the car.

"The company has been absolutely stretched to build this car for the U.S. market," said Morgan at the Los Angeles auto show on Tuesday. He would not say how much money the company spent on the project.

"Now we need the support of the customer," said Morgan, managing director of Morgan Motor Co. and grandson of founder H.F.S. Morgan.

The money was spent to develop a car with an aluminum chassis that is glued and riveted together, covered by aluminum body panels and powered by a BMW engine. In preparation for U.S. sales, the interior has been enlarged slightly and amenities such as air conditioning and window defrosters have been added.

The Aero 8, which weighs only 2,500 pounds, meets U.S. and European safety and emissions regulations.

The company expects to sell 100 Aero 8s in the United States in the last half of 2004, after production of the U.S. version begins in June at the plant in Malvern Link, England.

Morgan anticipates full-year sales of about 250 cars in 2005. The company has nine franchised dealers in the United States and does not plan to add any more soon.

But the arrival of the Aero 8 will mark the end of U.S. sales for the Morgan Plus 8, a design nearly 40 years old that won't meet U.S. regulations for the 2004 model year. Morgan sold 90 units of the Plus 8 in the United States in 2003, its best year ever in the market, a spokesman said.

Charles Morgan said the company is planning to bring a second model to the U.S. market in two or three years that would be priced around $50,000. But that car would not be a revised version of the Plus 8.

"I am absolutely embarrassed that the Aero 8 costs $95,000, I wanted that car to be $50,000," Morgan said. "But that was the cost of getting the car we thought was right."

The company leaned heavily on BMW AG for help in creating the Aero 8, which has been on sale in Europe for 18 months. Morgan buys the car's 4.4-liter V-8 engine from BMW, and two BMW engineers have been working on the car's development for two years.

Morgan said it was important to him that the Aero 8 was designed from the ground up as a driver's car. Standard equipment includes anti-lock brakes and variable ratio power steering. But technologies such as traction control or stability control aren't available.

Morgan said, "That is the difference between us and volume manufacturers. I believe the car can sell itself."

Source: Auto News
Old 12-31-2003, 11:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eh... not crazy about it at all
Old 12-31-2003, 07:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
looks pretty cool to me
Old 12-31-2003, 08:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Morgan - Aero 8
[January 01 2001]

I'm a Morgan virgin. I'm a Malvern virgin too. So I make no apologies for kicking off with the obligatory references to the 'sleepy' Worcestershire town where this 'quirky' car company continues to build its 'much-loved' but utterly geriatric 'motor cars'. Here we go, then. Malvern is sleepy. Morgan is quirky. Its cars are throwbacks to a gentler age.

But what's this? The man from Morgan is using the word 'revolution' more freely than Citizen Smith. There's a fax machine in his office. Heaven forfend, there's even a Morgan 'website' these days. Best of all - and the reason I'm losing my Morgan/Malvern cherry after all these years of celibacy - there's an all-new car, the Aero 8, the first such thing for 65 years. The snoozy denizens of this pretty English enclave don't know what's hit them.

Even my mum has a better grasp of Morgans than I do, because a man with a beard the size of Scotland and a fondness for real ale once took her for a spirited drive in one. That, in a nutshell, is Morgan's natural constituency. The Plus Four and Plus Eight have always been highly attractive cars, but largely irrelevant. The Aero 8, on the other hand, is largely unattractive, but highly relevant. It also has a power-to-weight ratio of 286bhp per tonne.

It's truly difficult to love the way it looks, though. Unless you don't mind getting involved in a bizarre boss-eyed face-off, squint while you're gawping at it and it doesn't seem quite so bad. Nobody at Morgan gives a toss, happily admitting that the Aero 8's provocative appearance hasn't deterred customers. The waiting list is currently just under 600-strong - not bad for a 50 grand car - with about 20 per cent of Plus Eight customers transferring their order to the new model.

As demented as it might appear, the Aero 8 has actually been designed this way. And it works. Kansas farmyard barns slip through the air more efficiently than Morgans, but the new one manages a respectable 0.39 drag factor, flowing running boards and all. The in-set nose and flat under-tray keep the engine cool and assist underbody airflow. It also proves adept at scooping up aut road detritus, much to the lensman's displeasure. But at least it still looks like a Morgan, which is surely the whole point.

No visit is complete without a tour of the factory premises, and for all our host's revolutionary rhetoric there is still plenty of loving craftsmanship and traditional skill on display, not to say widespread evidence of builder's bum. And while we see both hacksaws and hammers being deployed in a way that defies the 'loving' bit, there's no getting away from the unusual truth that the Aero 8 is a genuinely radical creation.

Beneath the bonkers body lies an aluminium monocoque structure, bonded and riveted to provide the sort of torsional rigidity that low-volume British sports cars can usually only dream about. Not only is it strong, it's also light, and Morgan claims im- pressive crash-worthiness. A prototype that survived a 40mph head-on collision with a Spanish truck offers visible proof. Perhaps the lorry driver was briefly paralysed by the Aero 8's boggle-eyed stare. Or maybe he was musing on why those crazy English persist in clothing their now state-of-the-art monocoques in wood. But persist they do.

Should you still be struggling to take it seriously, let me point you in the direction of Morgan's masterstroke: beneath the Aero 8's cartoon-car bonnet lies one of the world's best engines, BMW's 4.4-litre V8. The last time I experienced this engine was in an X5 off-roader and, despite tipping the scales at well over twice the weight of the Aero 8, it still had enough mumbo to blow my socks clean off. I admit to being hugely partial to BMW engines, but consider the facts: it has 32 valves, variable inlet-valve timing, a fly-by-wire throttle, a purpose-made Bosch engine management system, and it pumps out an easy 286bhp at a fairly lazy 5,500rpm and an even more mouthwatering 335lb ft of torque at 3,700rpm. Stick this in something that weighs 1,000kg and socks aren't the only underwear in jeopardy.

A Getrag six-speed manual transmission is charged with the task of getting it all cleanly onto the road, and traction control comes courtesy of your right foot. The massive AP Racing brakes - ventilated discs all-round with four-pot calipers - sound good; the absence of ABS sounds, er, interesting. The Aero 8 promises a sly blend of modern mechanical manners with explosive old-school performance. Apparently, some BMW people have been speculating that perhaps this is how the over-wrought Z8 should have finished up. Let's find out.

Whatever else has moved on, the Aero 8's doors haven't: they're still small and flimsy. Curiously, though, its cockpit isn't a million miles away from the exaggerated retro of BMW's pricey aluminium roadster. You sit low and snug, your arse-end only a few inches above the rear axle, facing a dash layout that has more than a hint of Flash Gordon rocket-ship about it, with big cream-faced dials nestling in engine-turned alloy. TVR-style rotary knobs take care of heating and demisting duties, while a motley bunch of nasty plastic switches operate lights and other ancillaries. These will be upgraded on final production cars, but the beautifully damped BMW indicator and wiper stalks will remain.

The driving position is exemplary and evocative, with enough legroom for even the lankiest of Morgan clientele. Chubbier customers might have some trouble with the well upholstered seats, although a certain degree of masochism has always been part of Morgan's USP. As you'd expect, there's evidence of hand-built inconsistency in some of the trim but, again, that's surely part of the deal. So is the wood. It's everywhere.

Prod the green starter button and the Aero 8 wakes up with a surprisingly muffled woofle. Flex the throttle a bit and there isn't quite the amount of torque reaction you might expect when you drop a big V8 into a lightweight body, but it still feels very potent. The footwell is cramped for big feet and there's a racing-car abruptness and weight to the clutch and the accelerator. If it's high performance you're after, the Aero 8 sends out all the right signals.

Thank God its chassis is up to the job. Worcestershire in late aut might be sleepy, but its roads are bloody treacherous and even at modest speeds the Aero 8's rear Dunlops get well and truly duffed up by the laws of physics.

Morgan claims that the new car can pull 1g of lateral acceleration through dry corners and I don't doubt it, but take liberties on a greasy road and the only thing you'll be pulling is pieces of hedge out of your hair, believe me. But even as you're grappling with oversteer in the first three gears, at least you know when and where it's coming; a few hard seasons GT2 racing has clearly not gone to waste on the Aero 8, though I'd prefer even more sharpness in the steering.

Of course, you don't have to drive it that way, and fourth gear is where you'd be best advised to spend most of your time if you really want to savour the Aero 8's immense performance. Racing genes or not, it does a grand job of grand touring, all that torque translating into a loping great stride on the road. If it wasn't for that outlandish body, it could almost pass for an Aston Martin (its switchgear is certainly better).

Central to this relatively genteel manner is a ride quality that is un- commonly good, especially for such a low-volume car. Morgan is rightly proud of the Aero 8's suspension, so much so that it has even applied for the patent on part of its design. Well, you can hardly patent wood, can you?

I'm no apologist for plucky British sports car manufacturers and would generally plump for Porsche efficiency over quirky, hand-built charm any day of the week. The beards (and my mother) are welcome to it.

The thing about the Aero 8 is that it could have been absolutely dreadful, forcing Morgan to skulk back into its 1930s time-bubble while the rest of us fiddle with websites, queue up for our PlayStation 2s and marvel at the latest Middle Eastern meltdown. But bizarrely - and quite possibly by accident - the Aero 8 is a car of its time. A very good one, as it happens, and much more focused than its barmy looks would suggest.

Jason Barlow

FACT FILE
Model Two-seater sports convertible
Engine 4398cc 32v V8, 286bhp
Performance 0-62mph in under 5secs, max speed 160mph
Price £49,950
On sale in the UK Now
Likes Engine, performance, handling
Dislikes Styling, some interior detailing

Source: Top Gear
Old 01-05-2004, 06:40 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i never liked that car
Old 11-25-2004, 09:51 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Aero 8 'Americanised' - - Source: Autocar

Morgan has heavily revamped the flagship Aero 8 sports car and tweaked the rest of its range. The Aero 8 has been revised in line with its introduction to the US market.

American crash regulations required the crash testing of 17 cars, but the Aero now boasts side impact beams, driver and passenger airbags and Bosch anti-lock brakes with EBD and six-piston AP racing front calipers.

The cabin is roomier thanks to an extra 102mm of width at the scuttle and 152mm at the shoulders, and a revised bootlid boosts luggage space. Standard equipment now includes electro-hydraulic power steering, central locking and auto-drop windows, plus new wheels and hood.

With BMW’s new Valvetronic 4.4 V8, power is up 47bhp to 333bhp and torque up 8lb ft to 330lb ft. Despite the extra kit, weight is down too – from 1180kg to 1155kg. Production is underway for June US deliveries, while European buyers have to wait until September; prices are up £2k to £58,500.

Further down the range, the Plus Four has been reintroduced after a three-year break. Chassis and body are shared with the Roadster, and power comes from a Euro4-compliant 145bhp Ford 2.0 Duratec engine in place of the old Rover unit.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
thats hawt!!
Old 03-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,662 Likes on 13,898 Posts
Morgan Aero 8 North America bound...

Really old school look...but, I dig it...

==========

Morgan Aero 8 Fully Approved for the American Market

Source: Rsportscars.com

March 2000 saw the surprise launch at Geneva of the all new Morgan Aero 8. Now, with over 300 examples in customer’s hands comes the latest version, fully approved for the American Market.

Morgan is renowned for combining its unique blend of traditional construction with the latest available technology.

This is amply demonstrated in the Aero 8, with its aluminium coachbuilt body and ultra modern bonded aluminium chassis. Designed to comply with the rigorous safety standards in the US, Morgan has installed the latest generation electronic airbags, ABS which incorporates electronic distribution through the use of all round wheel speed sensors, and BMWs latest 4.4 litre V8 which not only pumps out 333 bhp and 331 lb-ft of torque, but also exceeds the tough Federal emission requirements.

5.5 inches has been added to the width of the cockpit, cruise control, electronic power steering as well as subtle improvements to the chassis and suspension complete the package.

Executive Chairman Alan Garnett commented “what has been achieved from our small yet talented team is truly noteworthy. To meet the exacting requirements for America is significant even for major manufacturers, and all of this state of the art technology has been packaged into a car that is actually lighter than its predecessor. At just 2524 lb, the performance is astonishing. This version is now on sale worldwide.

The dedication to lightweight engineering has lead to some real performance gains. Not just a 0-62 mph time of under 4.5 seconds plus enormous flexibility, but also the ability to stop from 62 mph in just 35.8 meters, or put another way less than 9 car lengths.

Technical Specifications:

Engine
Type: V8
Displacement cu in (cc): 268 (4398)
Power bhp (kW) at RPM: 333(245) / 6100
Torque lb-ft (Nm) at RPM: 331(450) / 3600
Redline at RPM: n.a.

Brakes & Tires
Brakes F/R: ABS, vented disc/vented disc
Tires F-R: 225/40 ZR18 - 245/40 ZR18
Driveline: Rear Wheel Drive

Exterior Dimensions & Weight
Length × Width × Height in: 160.7 × 69.0 × 46.8
Weight lb (kg): 2524 (1145)

Performance
Acceleration 0-62 mph s: < 4.5
Top Speed mph (km/h): > 160 (> 260)
Fuel Economy EPA city/highway mpg (l/100 km): 17/36 (10.9)
Old 03-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Banned

I'll be more impressed if they let the Caterham 8 into NA. This will surely scare the dickens out of most of the supercar owners here.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Teh ?

Originally Posted by MADCAT
I'll be more impressed if they let the Caterham 8 into NA. This will surely scare the dickens out of most of the supercar owners here.

You can get it as a kit car here in the US...

It's the same car, but they ship it with powertrain separated from body so that it doesn't have to comply with the US safety laws and whatnot.

The Super 7 is a beast, but it would definitely be mostly for track use and maybe for weekend fun.

Junkster, who saw one while in England during college
Old 03-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The 2004 Aero 8 still used wood for it's chassis. They must have had to switch to aluminum for the US market.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Teh ?

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
The 2004 Aero 8 still used wood for it's chassis. They must have had to switch to aluminum for the US market.
That's what they say in that little blurb under the picture...

Ya flaming noob!!!

Junkster, who heard they are switching to aluminum
Old 03-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MADCAT

Meh, I'd buy the Ariel Atom. Cheaper and supposedly funner too...
Old 03-01-2005, 01:15 PM

i really like that old school look, how much is it?

find it interesting that the hwy mpg is more than double the city mpg:
Fuel Economy EPA city/highway mpg (l/100 km): 17/36 (10.9)
Old 03-01-2005, 01:47 PM
Suzuka Master

:whocares: It's ugly!
Old 03-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
:whocares: It's ugly!
Bah, it looks better than your car...! Why, yours is all smashed up from the wall you hit...!

Old 03-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 03-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Sorry, it's a little inside joke we share...CP has issues in Gran Turismo with walls during races...So...
Old 03-01-2005, 05:09 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
morgan aero 8 = worlds only cross eyed car
Old 03-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Bah, it looks better than your car...! Why, yours is all smashed up from the wall you hit...!

That's OK. My Vitz is still in pristine condition!
Old 03-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
That's OK. My Vitz is still in pristine condition!

Touche, bud...touche...
Old 03-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Press release...

==============

Following its time honored tradition of continuous improvement rather than outright model change; Morgan has updated its high performance, lightweight Aero 8 for 2006.

The most striking change is the restyled front, that bears more than a passing resemblance to the graceful lines of the AeroMax coupe that starred at last year’s Salon de L’auto at Geneva. Now the all-aluminium super performer sports more traditional Morgan lines, whilst preserving its remarkable handling and performance.

The race proven bonded aluminium chassis and the coach-built body remain …..a hallmark of all Morgans. Under the traditionally styled bonnet you will find the very latest version of the 4.4 V8 from BMW, incorporating their brilliant Vanos and Valvetronic control systems. Combining its 325 Bhp with the lightweight construction delivers a class busting 284 Bph/tonne adding up to a 0-62mph time of under 4.5 seconds and a top speed of over 160 Mph (256 Kph). Yet it also possesses the ability to come to a full stop, from 62 mph in just 35.8 metres, or put another way, less than 9 car lengths.

Bosch ABS, Electronic Brake Distribution and Drag Torque Control all combine to maximise balance and poise without over compensating for driver involvement, leading to a unique driving experience delivering safety, high performance and a highly involving driving experience.

The range of standard equipment has been further improved, with the addition of Driver and Passenger Airbags, ABS, cruise control, remote central locking, remote tyre pressure monitoring, headlight wash and an optional lightweight hard top.

Over 400 Aero 8s have now been produced by the Malvern Link factory since 2001, and 2006 is set to be a record year for Morgan’s top model.

Priced at £62,500 including UK VAT, this coach-built supercar exemplifies the individuality for which Morgan is famous. Delivery is currently estimated at 6 – 12 months.

Old 03-11-2006, 01:15 AM
Cruisin'

Nice!Loads of British style with a very nice power output.

I'll take one!
Old 03-11-2006, 03:38 AM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For 100k they can make their own headlights instead of stealing a set from the MINI
Old 03-11-2006, 09:02 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by TypeSAddict
For 100k they can make their own headlights instead of stealing a set from the MINI
Why create something that already exists? That's just wasting money.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Looks better than the older versions and the interior is quite nice, but the rear end is fugly.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by charliemike
Why create something that already exists? That's just wasting money.
And those headlights are HOT! IMO they look nicer then Porsche's headlights.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Top Gear's first drive impressions...

Apparently, you need to sell about 6,000 cars in the UK before people will actually see one. There's a complicated formula behind this, involving population, amount of UK roads and overall car sales, which I don't understand.

But the point is that this makes it highly unlikely that you'll have seen a Morgan Aero 8, because fewer than 600 have been sold since its launch in 2003. And that's a worldwide figure.

This might be regarded as a blessing given that the Aero 8 has never been considered an attractive car. Beauty is, of course, bound up with subjectivity, but most agreed that the goggle-eyed face was due largely to those headlights.

Morgan was aware of the problem, and has fixed it with this updated Aero 8. The VW Beetle lights have been replaced with Mini ones, which strangely is what Morgan wanted in the first place. But the Aero was launched before the first Mini, so BMW was reluctant to let its new headlights appear elsewhere first.

It's still retro (new headlights won't disguise the running boards), but the overall look is better, even if overtones of Huggy Bear in tweed remain. As for the ruddy-faced, silver-haired souls that wink and nod as you pass; well, if you will buy a Morgan...

But this car doesn't deserve to be slated. Sure, the driving experience is always going to be an acquired taste, but this Aero 8 requires less adjustment and compromise than the traditional 4/4.

The highlight's still the BMW-sourced 4.4-litre V8. Morgan is rightly proud of the fact that it's managed to secure this engine - drive it and you'll understand why. The noise is simply fantastic. The side exit pipes mean that it burbles away just below you, so when you accelerate you get the full experience. I could accelerate and slow down all day, just to listen to it.

The key to this is that it lends the Morgan more character than other V8-powered cars, plus it's incredibly tractable. The Aero 8 only weighs 1,145kg, thanks to plenty of aluminium, so it pulls cleanly and hard and revs really easily.

Of course, the Aero 8 isn't to everyone's taste. The steering could do with more accuracy on the initial turn-in, the floor-mounted pedals take a bit of getting used to and the styling is still eccentric. But it would be a sad day indeed if cars like this stopped being built. Even if you never see them.
IWHI.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
X 2 ^^
Old 08-12-2007, 07:19 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

no thanks