Mercedes-Benz: SL-Class News

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:13 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!!!!! that is simply amazing!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:23 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
hotness!

is there a 'ring time yet?
Old 07-15-2008, 12:02 AM
I can't find my garage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nawwwwwwwwwww. too busy on the body
Old 07-25-2008, 07:42 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,820 Likes on 1,414 Posts
here are some wallpapers

Old 07-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I'm digging the headlights
Old 07-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
wow...that body work is just sick....that's one wing that is FTW!
Old 01-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,667 Likes on 13,903 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz SL Night Edition

Press release...

Mercedes-Benz is now offering special editions of the SL and SLK, both of which feature a stylish interior with numerous sophisticated highlights. The optional designo magno night black matt paint finish accentuates the exclusive, sporty appearance of the SL Night Edition, while the special designo graphite paint finish makes the SLK Grand Edition a real eye-catcher. Both of these new special models combine the advantages of a roadster with those of a coupé, and are both thoroughbred sports cars and comfortable everyday cars.

Masterpieces to dream of – the theme for the two new special editions of the Mercedes-Benz SL and SLK sports car series. The special designo magno night black paint finish specially developed exclusively for the SL Night Edition is particularly effective with the dramatic design of the SL. 19-inch AMG five-spoke light-alloy wheels in a two-tone, high-gloss finish, silver-painted front brake callipers with the Mercedes-Benz logo and darkened headlamps/tail lights accentuate the exclusive status of these special models. A badge on the front wings identifies the Night Edition.

Black nappa leather and shining chrome trim provide striking contrasts in the interior, with numerous fine details interacting to produce an intriguing effect. The newly designed seats have arrow-shaped seams and silver-coloured contrasting features. The sports steering wheel, shift lever and roof lining are in black. The trim strip of the draught-stop has a high-gloss finish complemented by the silver-coloured vents of the AIRSCARF® system, which bathes the driver in warm air when the soft top is down in cool ambient temperatures.

The SL Night Edition and SLK Grand Edition can be ordered now. Depending on the engine variant, the additional cost for the special model is between 3700 and 5200 Euro for the SL Night Edition and between 2300 and 3500 Euro for the SLK Grand Edition. The special paint finishes cost an additional 3640 Euro for designo magno night black and 1800 Euro for designo graphite (German list prices incl. VAT).
Old 01-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 12-14-2011, 01:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes-Benz SL 2013

Old 12-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,005 Likes on 5,148 Posts
horrible horrible! worst one yet, by far.

side profile looks like a Lexus SC430. headlights suck, flowing lines suck, interior looks nice.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:33 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,820 Likes on 1,414 Posts
I like the previous gen better
Old 12-14-2011, 01:23 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Throw back to the 3rd gen design.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Throw back to the 3rd gen design.
which one? link me a pic?
Old 12-14-2011, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. Just wow.

What is going on with those front lights?
Old 12-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Autocar

The new Mercedes SL will deliver “the ultimate in passionate, refined motoring” when it arrives in UK showrooms next July. Revealed in these official images (leaked online earlier today) before a show unveiling in Detroit next month, the new roadster will go on sale in the UK almost 60 years to the day since the original 300SL became the first German sports car to win the Le Mans 24Hrs.

The sixth-generation SL is based on an all-new platform, but apart from that it diverts from the proven recipe of the outgoing model only among the details.

As is the class norm, and like the R230 model, the new R231 SL uses longitudinal V6 and V8 petrol engines and rear-wheel drive. But unlike many direct competitors, it has a folding metal ‘vario-roof’ that takes less than 20 seconds to convert, and a strictly two-seat cabin.

Featuring cleaner surfaces and bolder styling lines than the outgoing car — none more so than the unbroken shoulderline running from headlight to tail-lamp — the new SL’s aesthetic references are to the 1960s ‘pagoda’ SL and 1970s R107.

However, Mercedes hasn’t wasted the chance to update the car with the SLS-inspired upright radiator grille used by its sports car family, and some familiar body-side sculpting.

The exterior form is functional as well as elegant. Mercedes claims the SL is the most aerodynamically efficient car in its class and sets new standards for wind noise-based cabin refinement.

But the car’s biggest technological advancement is under the skin. This SL will be the first Mercedes in large-scale series production to use an almost exclusively aluminium construction.

Made from a mix of chill cast, vacuum die cast, stamped and extruded aluminium, this body-in-white superstructure allows the new SL to be between 125kg and 140kg lighter than the outgoing steel car, and 20 per cent more torsionally rigid.

The metal castings and tailored blanks of the SL’s body-in-white are connected via various techniques, depending on how much load they transmit. While some parts of the underbody are MIG welded, hemmed, bonded and bolted together, others are joined via state-of-the-art friction stir welding — a technique that allows for particularly stiff, precise joins.

With mainly aluminium body panels, the only significant parts that aren’t aluminium are its plastic ‘soft nose’ grille (for pedestrian protection), super-lightweight magnesium rear bulkhead, folding roof and tubular steel A-pillars and header rail.

Steel is chosen here for its extremely high strength in the event of a rollover.

Two direct-injection petrol engines contribute to fuel efficiency gains of between 22 and 29 per cent over previous models. The 3.5-litre V6 in the entry-level SL350 produces 302bhp and 273lb ft. Although less powerful than the outgoing SL350, it offers more torque, makes the SL350 0.3sec faster to 62mph (5.9sec) and promises to return 41.5mpg on the combined cycle.

The eight-cylinder engine in the SL500 is the twin-turbo 4.7-litre unit that also serves in Mercedes’ current S-class. It produces 429bhp and 516lb ft and sends the SL500 to 62mph in just 4.6sec. Both engines operate via a seven-speed automatic transmission.

Like the previous SL, suspension on the new one is by a multi-link set-up at both ends, and it will be tuned to suit the car’s uniquely laid-back dynamic character among its peers. A dash of dynamism will therefore be mixed into the generous baseline of compliance and refinement for which the SL is famed.

Steel springs with ‘semi-active’ dampers will be standard on the SL350. Mercedes’ self-levelling, height-adjustable, hydraulically controlled Active Body Control chassis will be an option. The steering features a new electro-mechanical ‘direct steer’ set-up with variable assistance levels and a variable ratio.

Mercedes will offer the same optional electro-chromic panoramic glass roof on the SL that features on the smaller SLK convertible. The Magic Sky Control system allows the driver to choose between transparent glass, light shade and dark shade.

The SL’s folding roof frame itself is made out of magnesium. It weighs 6kg less than that of the outgoing car and contributes to a lower centre of roll for the car.

The SL is credited with two further technological premieres. Its Frontbass audio system uses bass loudspeakers mounted in the front bulkhead rather than in its interior door panels.

The system takes advantage of the more rigid construction of the bulkhead for better sound resonance and less distortion than a conventional system, and the cone-like shape of the footwell acts as a natural amplifier.

The car’s other first is a high-precision windscreen wash-wipe system called Magic Vision Control. The system flushes water through jets integrated into the rubber of the wiper blade. It deploys water just ahead of the leading edge of the wiper, on both the upstroke and downstroke of the blades, to minimise wastage and mess and improve visibility.

Heated wiper blades, heated fluid supply lines and a heated washer fluid tank are also available as an option, for uncompromised performance in wintery conditions.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm not feeling any retro elements going back to 1960's or 70's. All I'm feeling is fugliness. Those old cars were beautiful, btw. If they wanted retro, they could have done a much better job. Look at what they did with the SLS. They have failed miserably with this new SL.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
I'm not feeling any retro elements going back to 1960's or 70's. All I'm feeling is fugliness. Those old cars were beautiful, btw. If they wanted retro, they could have done a much better job. Look at what they did with the SLS. They have failed miserably with this new SL.
I have a feeling this car is going to have an incredible presence in person. I agree it's radically different and takes some getting used to but I like it.

I wasn't a huge fan of the SLK refresh until I saw a SLK55 in person and thought it looked fantastic.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Senior Moderator

I'll give it a chance. I'm just being an armchair critic.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Senior Moderator

I have to say though, the SL has always been one of my favorite MB models. Even in pictures. This is the first time I've frowned at a new generation, I think the past models followed steady progressions in positive directions. With this one, I feel like they've completely struck out.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
I have to say though, the SL has always been one of my favorite MB models. Even in pictures. This is the first time I've frowned at a new generation, I think the past models followed steady progressions in positive directions. With this one, I feel like they've completely struck out.
I'm hoping it's just not photogenic.

That black and red interior though ... I love it.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:23 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Needs to be more squared off...

Originally Posted by krio
Mercedes-Benz SL 2013
Old 12-22-2011, 12:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Post 2012 PP Exclusive Mercedes-Benz SL R230

Mercedes press release...

Deep, wide and loud are three characteristics that belong to the real roots of the tuning scene and that are indispensable as a foundation for all tuning work. It doesn’t matter what trend is hot at the moment: good tuning modifications have to be deep, wide and loud. That’s just the way it has to be!
PP Exclusive presents you with the perfect example of deep and wide car tuning work. For width, the tuners have built in the Majestic wheel rim, which has just passed all the TÜV inspections with flying colours so making it available from early 2012 in sizes of 20 to 23 inches. On the SL the front wheels are size 11x20 inch (with 3.5 inch outer rims) and the back wheels are a gigantic 13x20 inch (5 inch outer rim). This combination is fitted with Dunlop tyres of sizes 255/30R20 and 305/25R20. Of course, with this wheel and tyre combination, the wheel arches also had to be extended – we’ve used sheet metal to widen them 25 mm up front and 55 mm at the back, on both sides.

Together with the capacity to lower the vehicle by up to 100 mm by means of an electronic module, the PP Exclusive SL takes on a truly brutal wedge-like form. To explain how this little gadget works on the side: The vehicle is lowered by controls on the steering wheel and the current height status can be seen at any time by accessing it on the instrument panel. To achieve a nice, rich, loud sound from the rear end of the SL, the tuners from Baden-Wuerttemberg built in an exhaust system made entirely of stainless steel starting right at the catalytic converter and having four oval-shaped exhaust pipes. On request, this sporting exhaust system is also available in a ‘civil’ version.

But it doesn’t stop there; a lot of work has been done in the interior too. The driver and passenger seats have been finished in white Napa leather with black stitching. The timber parts of the dashboard panel too now gleam in the colour of the vehicle, and in contrast, the sun visors and the roof interior have been finished in black Alcantara. The SL steering wheel has received a smaller rim, and is now formed straight instead of curved at the bottom. As well as being finished with Alcantara, the rest of the steering wheel has been lacquered in white, except for the star which has been retained in black.
Back to the roots! At PP Exclusive we remember the classic values and qualities of tuning and the result is simply breathtakingly beautiful. In addition, the tuning-genes of engineer Gerd Mueller are experiencing an honourable renaissance here at PP Exclusive!

Also available from PP Exclusive is the classic and extremely popular Crownjewel light-alloy wheel that is immediately deliverable in 20 inch sizes and has Radinox outer rims of up to six inches in width.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Post 2012 Mercedes-Benz SL500

Press release...

With the completely redeveloped SL, Mercedes-Benz continues a tradition that began 60 years ago. The letters "SL" have ever since been synonymous with a symbiosis of sportiness, style and comfort – and with groundbreaking innovations. The new SL has been produced for the first time almost entirely from aluminium and weighs up to 140 kilograms less than its predecessor. Its highly rigid all-aluminium bodyshell provides the basis for agile, sporty handling that has been taken to an entirely new level, coupled with exemplary roll characteristics and ride comfort. Even better driving dynamics come courtesy of the new BlueDIRECT engines; they are more powerful yet at the same time up to 29 percent more economical than the engines in the outgoing generation. Other new features include the unique Frontbass system, which turns the luxury sports car into a concert hall regardless of whether the top is open or closed, and the highly efficient adaptive windscreen wipe/wash system MAGIC VISION CONTROL; it supplies water from the wiper blade as required and depending on the direction of wipe.

Compared with its successful predecessor, the new Mercedes-Benz SL offers considerably more comfort and sportiness, setting new standards in the luxury roadster class. Added to which is uncompromising day-to-day suitability, which turns the SL into an incomparable all-rounder among sports cars. In short, anyone that talks about the new SL is bound to be talking about the ultimate in passionate, refined motoring.

Dr Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars: "There are around 900 million cars in the world and thousands of models. But there are only a handful of automotive icons. Our SL is one of them: it has class, it has style, it is the ultimate in comfort and luxury. But it combines all that with incredible sportiness and dynamism. You would struggle to find a car that embodies Gottlieb Daimler's aspiration more perfectly than our new SL: the best or nothing."

Engineering

The new-generation Mercedes-Benz SL takes the meaning of the famous letters "SL" – sporty, lightweight – literally. Consistent weight reduction is one of the most outstanding design characteristics in the new SL as was the case in its namesake, the original SL of 1952 with its lightweight tubular frame. For the first time Mercedes-Benz has implemented an all-aluminium bodyshell in a series-production model. Only very few components consist of other materials. The designers use the even lighter magnesium for the cover behind the tank. High-strength steel tubing is integrated in the A-pillars for safety reasons.

The new aluminium bodyshell weighs around 110 kilograms less than it would using the steel technology from the predecessor. "The effect is rather as if a heavyweight-class passenger had got out of the car" says Dr Thomas Rudlaff, responsible for the aluminium bodyshell at Mercedes-Benz. "The result is perceptible and measurable. Less weight means more dynamism and less consumption. In other words: the motoring enjoyment increases, the environmental burden sinks."

The aluminium structure is not only lighter but also proves superior to the predecessor's steel construction in terms of rigidity, safety and comfort. This is achieved thanks, among other things, to its intelligent lightweight construction with components optimised for their specific task. Thus, diverse processes are used to make different kinds of aluminium depending on the use the component is to be given: the parts are made by chill casting or vacuum die-casting, worked into extruded aluminium sections or into aluminium panels of different thicknesses. The result: high rigidity, high safety levels and better vibration characteristics.

Although the new SL is even more comfortable and has more assistance systems on-board than its predecessor and therefore does actually sacrifice some of the weight saved through the aluminium bodyshell, the scales show some astonishing figures: the new SL 500 (1.785 kg) weighs around 125 kilograms less than its predecessor. On balance, the SL 350 (1.685 kg) is even 140 kilograms lighter – all thanks to a host of other intelligent enhanced details to reduce weight, which Mercedes-Benz has also implemented in the new SL in addition to the aluminium bodyshell.

Suspension

Powerful while accelerating, effortlessly superior across all speeds, nimble on winding roads – the new SL provides ample driving pleasure. Apart from the powerful engines, the sportily tuned yet comfortable suspension, which also boasts intelligent lightweight construction, proves outstanding. For instance, the steering knuckles and spring links on the front axle are also made out of aluminium to reduce the unsprung masses. The same also applies to virtually all the wheel location components on the rear axle.

The new SL is available with two different suspension systems: the SL features semi-active adjustable damping as standard. The optional active suspension system ABC (Active Body Control) is available as an alternative.

Both suspension variants are combined with a new electromechanical Direct-Steer system featuring speed-sensitive power steering and a ratio that can be varied across the steering wheel angle. This ensures excellent straight-line stability and, therefore, a high degree of assuredness when travelling at motorway speeds and makes the SL very agile. It also reduces the amount of steering required when parking and manoeuvring.

The new V8 in the SL 500 develops 320 kW (435 hp) from its displacement of 4663 cc and thus around 12 percent more than its predecessor despite some 0.8 litres less displacement. The fuel consumption has been reduced by up to 22 percent. At the same time, the torque has increased from 530 Nm to 700 Nm – a gain of 32 percent. Although the displacement remains the same at 3499 cc, the new V6 engine in the new SL 350 develops 225 kW (306 hp) and delivers 370 Nm of torque. It uses just 6.8 litres of fuel per 100 kilometres, making it almost 30 percent more economical than its predecessor. Both engine variants come with a standard-fit ECO start/stop function. The 7G-TRONIC PLUS automatic transmission, which has been optimised in relation to fuel consumption and comfort, also contributes to the exemplary, low fuel consumption. The fuel economy of the BlueDIRECT engines takes nothing away from the roadster's raciness. Quite the contrary: the SL 350 accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in 5.9 seconds, making it three tenths of a second faster than its predecessor. The SL 500 takes just 4.6 seconds – eight tenths less than the previous SL 500.

Interior:
The new SL combines its aesthetically honed profile, which follows the Mercedes-Benz tradition, with a luxurious feel. Fine materials, perfectly finished with great attention to detail, distinguish the style and character of the interior.

Compared with its predecessor, the new generation of the SL is much longer 4612 mm (+50 mm) and wider 1877 mm (+57 mm), providing more room for more comfort in the interior, too. Shoulder room (+37 mm) and elbow room (+28 mm) have been increased, exceeding the dimensions normally found in this vehicle class. Clear lines create a formally coherent internal space within this comfortable interior. Generously used wood trim extends from the centre console across the dashboard into the doors, creating a pleasant wrap-around effect. Three types of wood along with two different aluminium trim finishes are available. Perfectly in tune with the roadster's character, it combines the unpretentious atmosphere of a high-performance sports car with a comfortable, stylish ambience one comes to expect in a luxurious touring car.

Design

The designers have brought the latest generation of the SL unmistakably to life on the basis of tradition but added new perspectives and visions. The result is a stylishly sporty and elegant luxury sports car with the classic hallmark SL balanced proportions: the long bonnet gives way to a compact passenger compartment that is set well back. A wide, powerful rear end giving the impression of raciness provides the finishing touch. A handful of elaborately styled lines define the powerfully sculpted and yet calm surfaces of the flanks. Finely worked details, a striking rear end as well as ventilation grilles with chromed fins from the dynamic traditional Mercedes-Benz design heritage visually emphasise the SL legend.

An upright classic sports car radiator grille clearly marks out the new SL visually as a prestigious member of the current Mercedes-Benz sports car family. The centrally positioned star is a contemporary reinterpretation of the famous trademark, which now extends into the centre section with its organically flowing contours.

Dynamically slanting headlamps set well to the outside flank the striking front end and give the new roadster its own unmistakable face. The headlamps come as standard with the Intelligent Light System (ILS). With five different lighting functions that are tailored to typical driving and weather conditions, and are activated depending on the driving situation, they offer the driver a much better illuminated field of vision. The striking sidelights and the horizontal strip of the daytime running lamps in the far ends of the bumper feature LED technology.

Vario-roof:
The sixth generation of the SL also offers a vario-roof that can be retracted into the boot using an electrohydraulic mechanism to save space, which converts the SL in a few seconds into a roadster or a coupé, depending on the driver's wishes and the weather. Unlike its predecessor, three versions are available for the new SL: painted, with glass roof or with the unique panoramic vario-roof with MAGIC SKY CONTROL. The transparent roof switches to light or dark at the push of a button. When light it is virtually transparent, offering an open-air experience even in cold weather. In its dark state the roof provides welcome shade and prevents the interior from heating up in bright sunlight. The frame of the three roof versions is made of magnesium, making the roofs around six kilograms lighter than the roof on the predecessor, thus providing a lower centre of gravity for the vehicle and, in turn, better agility.

The engineers have refined the operating mechanism for the roof and boot lid. It now takes less than 20 seconds to open or close the roof completely.

Aerodynamics: new standards

The design of the new SL not only meets high aesthetic demands but it also boasts exemplary aerodynamic qualities.
As such, the roadster merits best marks in its segment in four important disciplines:

- With the lowest drag coefficient (cd = 0.27 in the SL 350);
- With the lowest wind noise that is virtually on a par with a closed saloon;
- With the best comfort for open-top motoring so that you can still have the roof down even at high speed;
- With virtually no accumulation of dirt on the side windows.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-09-2012, 05:40 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
a bit more retro elegance in this version.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:26 AM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
first time i've said this for a Mercedes but I actually like the interior design
Old 01-10-2012, 03:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
"K.I.S.S. failure". previous gens look much better.

BMW and MB sometimes have a big problem with trying to show off their exterior engineering. there are too many mini-features littering the canvas with little continuity. its as if they try to make the car have various appeal from a handful of different angles for mass advertsising purposes, but the overall design package looks like spewed nonsense in person. audi, thankfully, doesnt have this problem - you rarely say "ill need to see it in person" to favor the design.

that new photoshoot above further confirmed it. they took 6 exterior shots from different angles, and i still cant find a single element that looks decent. theres a slight chance that the hood/grille may look good in person, but theres no way the rear, canopy, or tacky fender vents are going to cut it for me.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 01-10-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Post 2012 Mercedes-Benz SL 63 AMG

Press release...

The stage is set for the new Mercedes-Benz SL 63 AMG. The new version of the high-performance Roadster impresses on several counts: systematic lightweight construction, a boost in output and driving dynamics, and 30 percent lower fuel consumption and emissions. Thanks to an all-aluminium bodyshell, similar to that of the SLS AMG super sports car, the vehicle weight has been reduced by 125 kilograms. With a kerb weight of 1845 kilograms and an output of 395 kW (537 hp) or 415 kW (564 hp), the new model has the perfect recipe for unparalleled dynamism and a superior driving experience. A further boost in performance comes courtesy of a winning combination: enhanced AMG sports suspension based on Active Body Control (ABC), new AMG speed-sensitive sports steering, the AMG high-performance compound brake system and the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission. An enticing mix of stylish design, extensive standard equipment and a high safety level.
Ola Källenius, CEO at Mercedes-AMG GmbH: "The new SL 63 AMG is yet another masterpiece from Mercedes-AMG. Be it driving dynamics, lightweight construction or efficiency – the SL 63 AMG represents a giant leap forward. Following on from the SLS AMG Roadster and the SLK 55 AMG, it now makes our unrivalled roadster family practically complete."

Superior performance and high efficiency: the SL 63 AMG is available with a choice of two power outputs for the first time. The AMG 5.5-litre V8 'biturbo' (twin-turbocharged) engine delivers 395 kW (537 hp) and 800 Nm of torque. If the AMG Performance package is specified, these figures rise to 415 kW (564 hp) and 900 Nm – more power than any other competitor in this segment. The result is high-calibre performance, as underlined by the acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h in 4.3 or 4.2 seconds, and to 200 km/h in 12.9 or 12.6 seconds respectively. Top speed is 250 km/h (electronically limited), although this rises to 300 km/h (likewise electronically limited) with the AMG Performance package on board. NEDC combined consumption comes in at 9.9 litres per 100 kilometres for both power outputs – a full 4.2 litres or 30 percent lower than for the outgoing model.

The eight-cylinder powerplant with the abbreviation M 157 features a combination of innovative high-tech components for high power output, and it delivers exemplary, low fuel consumption. In addition to spray-guided direct petrol injection, the engine boasts an all-aluminium crankcase, twin turbochargers, four valves per cylinder with camshaft adjustment, air/water intercooling, alternator management and an ECO start/stop function. The weight-optimised AMG sports exhaust system with two chromed twin tailpipes produces a distinctive engine sound.

Aluminium bodyshell

Intelligent lightweight construction is one of the major factors behind the low fuel consumption figures. The SL 63 AMG is based on a lightweight all-aluminium bodyshell similar to that of the SLS AMG super sports car. Compared to the outgoing model, this design not only delivers a significant weight saving of around 110 kilograms, it also greatly enhances rigidity, safety and comfort. Intelligent lightweight construction also means that the components have been optimised in line with their specific purpose. Various types of processing are used for the aluminium components, for instance, which are produced as permanent mould castings or vacuum die castings before being processed into extruded sections or used as sheet aluminium with varying wall thicknesses. The result is high rigidity, high safety and improved vibration characteristics. For the cover behind the tank, the designers use even lighter magnesium material in some cases. High-strength steel tubes are integrated into the A-pillars for safety reasons.

The boot lid helps to further trim the weight. For the first time on a volume-produced model, the inner support is made from lightweight carbon-fibre composite. The extremely rigid carbon-fibre component is bonded to the plastic outer shell, resulting in a weight saving of five kilograms compared to a conventional boot lid – an innovative solution destined initially for the SL 63 AMG. This raft of innovative lightweight-design measures means that, at an EC kerb weight of 1845 kilograms, the new SL 63 AMG is 125 kilograms lighter than the model it replaces.

AMG sports suspension

The lightweight-design measures are not just limited to the body of the SL 63AMG, however, as the steering knuckles and spring links on the 4-link front suspension and almost all of the multi-link independent rear suspension components are made of aluminium. The reduction in unsprung masses enhances both agility and the response of the spring and damper components.

Mercedes-AMG is remaining faithful to the ABC active spring and damper system: the new SL 63 AMG is equipped with an enhanced version of the AMG sports suspension based on Active Body Control as standard. During the design, development and testing phases, the focus was firmly on driving dynamics and performance. Exceptionally sporty characteristics with reduced roll angles and firm body damping ("Sport") or more comfort-oriented settings for a high level of comfort on long journeys ("Comfort") can be selected at the push of a button. To enable greater agility and faster cornering speeds, the SL 63 AMG has more negative camber all round and fully revised elastokinematics.

Equipped with the new, electro-mechanical AMG speed-sensitive sports steering, the flagship AMG model impresses with its fleet-footed, agile cornering and exceptional feedback at the critical limits. The steering has a constant and more direct ratio, and variable power assistance which adjusts in line with the suspension settings. Further standard equipment includes 3‑stage ESP®, a speciality exclusive to AMG with "SPORT Handling" mode for particularly keen drivers, while options available from the AMG Performance Studio include an AMG rear axle differential lock and AMG performance suspension.

AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT

Power transmission can likewise be adapted to specific requirements, as the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission has four modes to select from: "C" (Controlled Efficiency), "S" (Sport), "S+" (Sport plus) and "M" (Manual). In "C" mode, the ECO start/stop function is active at all times and switches off the eight-cylinder engine when the vehicle is at a standstill. Plus the transmission characteristics are tangibly soft, with smooth and early gear changes. Second gear is generally used as the starting gear in this mode.

The engine and transmission are far more agile in "S", "S+" and "M" mode; in addition, the stop/start function is deactivated. Partial suppression of the cylinders proves perfect for a committed driving style: briefly and precisely interrupting ignition and injection under full load leads to even faster gearshifts than before. A welcome side effect of this is the emotive sound impression. An automatic double-declutching function for downshifting and the RACE START function are also included as standard with the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission.

high-performance compound brake system

Maximum performance is also a top priority when it comes to braking: the newly developed AMG high-performance compound brake system features 390 x 36 mm compound discs with six-piston fixed callipers at the front and 360 x 26 mm integral discs with single-piston floating callipers at the rear. An electric parking brake is fitted as standard, while options available from the AMG Performance Studio include red-painted callipers to denote the AMG Performance package and the even more high-performance, weight-optimised AMG ceramic high-performance compound brake system as seen on the SLS AMG.

The SL 63 AMG leaves the factory fitted with five-twin-spoke AMG light-alloy wheels painted titanium grey with a high-sheen finish, shod with 255/35 R 19 front and 285/30 R 19 rear tyres. Multi-spoke AMG forged wheels from the AMG Performance Studio with 255/35 R 19 front and 285/30 R 20 rear tyres – also available in matt black including a rim flange with a high-sheen finish – help to reduce the unsprung masses.

Design

SLS AMG Roadster, SLK 55 AMG and SL 63 AMG – as the latest addition to the AMG Roadster family, the flagship V8 model displays the hallmark styling elements of a superior high-performance car from Affalterbach: the dynamically distinctive AMG bodystyling comprises the front apron with large air dams, AMG-specific LED daytime running lamps and a lower cross strut in silver chrome. Among the particularly eye-catching features are the new AMG radiator grille with a double louvre in silver chrome, the side sill panels and the "V8 BITURBO" logos on the vent grilles with fins in silver chrome. At the rear, the AMG spoiler lip, the two chromed twin tailpipes of the AMG sports exhaust system and the diffuser-style rear apron with body-coloured insert draw the design to a fitting conclusion.

Vario-roof:

The sixth-generation SL retains the space-saving, electrohydraulically retractable vario-roof, enabling the SL to be transformed into a roadster or a coupé, as the mood takes the driver and depending on the weather, in under 20 seconds. In contrast to the outgoing model, there are three versions to choose from for the new SL: painted roof, glass roof or the unique panoramic vario-roof with MAGIC SKY CONTROL. Its transparency can be switched to light or dark at the push of a button.

Interior:

The SL 63 AMG interior is likewise inspired by the SLS AMG and offers a feast for all the senses: the four air vents styled like jet engines, the E-SELECT lever and the AMG DRIVE UNIT are all reminiscent of the super sports car. Standard equipment includes AMG sports seats in single-tone or two-tone nappa leather with a unique V8 seat upholstery layout and AMG badges in the seat backrests, a multicontour function and seat heating as well as AMG carbon-fibre trim, AMG illuminated door sill panels, ambient lighting and an IWC-design analogue clock. One of the stand-out details on the AMG performance steering wheel is the AMG logo in the lower metal insert. The sportily designed AMG instrument cluster provides a wealth of information and includes a TFT colour monitor, AMG start-up display, AMG main menu and RACETIMER. Outstanding material quality and high-calibre workmanship underline the attention to detail paid by the Mercedes and AMG experts.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 02-27-2012, 01:13 AM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
gross
Old 02-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
that front end isn't working on all Merc cars. I don't know hwo I feel about this car
Old 02-28-2012, 05:06 PM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
Wow that interior

The exterior is meh.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:07 PM

Received 5,896 Likes on 2,903 Posts
Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Wow that interior

The exterior is meh.
The main turn-off for me is the headlights. They look...sleepy.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:21 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
For the first time I dislike what they did to the exterior.

Up until now, I always thought it was the best looking convertible available.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Post 2013 Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG

Press release...

Mercedes-AMG is embarking on the 2012 roadster season in inimitably dynamic style: following on from the recent launch of the SL 63 AMG, the top eight-cylinder model, there now comes the presentation of the new
Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG, the V12 roadster in the line-up from the Stuttgart-based manufacturer. The AMG 6.0-litre V12 "biturbo" (twin-turbocharged) engine develops a maximum output of 463 kW (630 hp) and maximum torque of 1000 newton metres. The result: exceptional performance, impressive power delivery and effortlessly superior dynamics. As with the SLS AMG super sports car, the use of an all-aluminium bodyshell results in a drastic reduction in weight. The new SL 65 AMG is some 170 kilograms lighter than before. The expressive front section is dominated by the new "twin blade" radiator grille and the front apron's lower cross strut in high-sheen chrome.

"The combination of exclusive V12 dynamic performance and a refined roadster driving experience was already the defining attribute of the predecessor model. We are convinced that, with the new SL 65 AMG, we have developed an incomparably exciting high-performance vehicle for the small, but loyal community of fans", says Ola Källenius, CEO of Mercedes-AMG GmbH.

An important aspect of the new model is the intelligent lightweight construction which also contributes to reducing the fuel consumption. At 11.6 litres per 100 kilometres (NEDC combined) it represents a saving of 2.4 litres or 17 percent compared with the previous SL 65 AMG and simultaneously establishes a new benchmark in the twelve-cylinder petrol engine segment. A major role in the reduced fuel consumption figures is played by the AMG SPEEDSHIFT PLUS 7G-TRONIC transmission, the ECO start/stop‑function, in-engine measures to optimise efficiency and alternator management. Despite the significantly reduced fuel consumption, the maximum output of the AMG V12 6-litre biturbo engine is up from 450 kW (612 hp) to 463 kW (630 hp). The maximum torque is 1000 newton metres.

The unrivalled performance figures of the new SL 65 AMG translate into an exceptional driving experience: acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h takes 4 seconds with the 200 km/h mark attained after just 11.8 seconds. The top speed is 250 km/h (electronically limited). As well as offering stunning acceleration, the AMG twelve-cylinder biturbo engine impresses with its smooth running characteristics and its distinctive AMG V12 sound. It is a performance that reconciles effortless superiority and stylishness to perfection.

AMG 6-litre V12 biturbo

The AMG 6-litre V12 biturbo engine with the designation M 279 is based on the M 275 engine used previously and has been comprehensively revised for the new SL 65 AMG. New exhaust gas turbochargers with an increased spiral cross-section, new manifolds and wastegate ducts with optimised flow characteristics increase the engine output by 13 kW (18 hp). The multi-spark ignition with twelve double ignition coils not only results in smoother running, but also enables even more effective combustion in combination with a new engine management system with higher performance and optimised cylinder heads. The resulting reduction in exhaust emissions is also due to a large extent to the optimised catalytic converter system. The newly developed AMG sports exhaust system, which has a pipe layout with enhanced flow characteristics, is 3.2 kilograms lighter as a result of a reduction in the wall thickness.

But it is not just the inner qualities of the AMG 6-litre V12 biturbo engine that impress. The powerplant's looks are as inspiring as its performance: the high-quality carbon-fibre and aluminium engine cover reflects the exceptional character of the powerful twelve-cylinder unit.

SPEEDSHIFT PLUS 7G-TRONIC

For the first time AMG has combined the 6-litre V12 biturbo engine with the AMG SPEEDSHIFT PLUS 7G‑TRONIC. The seven-speed automatic transmission with its wide gear ratio spread enables a significantly lower engine speed and helps to reduce fuel consumption. A new fuel economy torque converter, bearings designed for reduced friction loss and the transmission-oil thermal management system are responsible for a further increase in the efficiency of the power transmission system.

The AMG SPEEDSHIFT PLUS 7G‑TRONIC has four different driving modes – Controlled Efficiency (C), Sport (S), Sport plus (S+) and Manual (M) – which can be selected at the push of a button on the centre console. In "C" mode the ECO start/stop function is permanently active. The compelling, dynamic character of the driving experience is made all the more vivid by the automatic double-declutching function during downshifts and through the brief, precisely defined interruption of ignition and fuel injection during upshifts under full load; the latter functionality has the additional benefit of reducing the shift times.

all-aluminium bodyshell and carbon fibre

Compared with the predecessor model's steel design, the all-aluminium bodyshell of the new SL 65 AMG delivers a significant weight saving of around 110 kilograms as well as superior rigidity, safety and comfort. Intelligent lightweight construction also means that the components have been optimised in line with their specific purpose. Various types of processing are used for the aluminium components, for instance, which are produced as permanent mould castings or vacuum die castings before being processed into extruded sections or used in the form of sheet aluminium with varying wall thicknesses. The result is high rigidity, high safety and improved vibration characteristics. For the cover behind the tank, the designers use even lighter magnesium material in certain areas.
High-strength steel tubes are integrated into the A-pillars for safety reasons.

The boot lid helps to further trim the weight. For the first time on a volume-produced model, the inner support is made from lightweight carbon-fibre composite. The extremely rigid carbon-fibre component is bonded to the plastic outer shell, resulting in a weight saving of five kilograms compared with a conventional boot lid – an innovative solution that is being pioneered with the AMG SL models. This raft of innovative lightweight-design measures means that, at an EC kerb weight of 1950 kilograms, the new SL 65 AMG is 170 kilograms lighter than the model it replaces.

Interior

Inside, too, the SL 65 AMG has exclusive design and equipment features which differentiate it from its eight-cylinder sister model. The electrically adjustable AMG sports seats with single or two-tone upholstery in Exclusive nappa leather with a special AMG diamond pattern are a particular highlight. This distinctive upholstery is also to be found on the door centre panels. Embossed AMG emblems on the seat backrests are standard, as are AIRSCARF neck-level heating, multicontour functionality, seat memory and climatised seats. The designo headlining in leather with partial AMG V12 diamond-design quilting provides the perfect visual and tactile finishing touch.

The design of the cockpit recalls the SLS AMG: the four air vents styled like jet engines, the E-SELECT lever and the AMG DRIVE UNIT are all reminiscent of the super sports car's styling. The choice of exquisite materials and the first-class workmanship which characterise the interior of the SL 65 AMG indulge all the senses. Highlights include the AMG carbon-fibre trim elements, the IWC-design analogue clock, the chromed AMG door sill panels illuminated in white and the AMG Performance steering wheel which is embellished by an AMG logo in the lower metal insert. A speedometer calibrated to 360 km/h in the AMG instrument cluster and the AMG start-up display with an exclusive AMG V12 BITURBO animation hint at the exceptionally dynamic performance of the SL 65 AMG.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 04-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Post 2013 Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG 45th Anniversary

Press release...

To mark its 45th birthday in June 2012, Mercedes-Benz's high-performance AMG brand is presenting the SL 65 AMG "45th ANNIVERSARY". The V12 roadster boasts an exclusive array of unusual appointments and design features. The special anniversary model is being produced in a limited edition of 45 vehicles. AMG also presented a limited special model to mark its 40th birthday: the 40 cars produced as the CL 65 AMG "40th Anniversary" edition in 2007 have since become valuable collectors' items. Mercedes-Benz's high-performance AMG brand was founded in 1967 by Hans Werner Aufrecht and Erhard Melcher. Over the past 45 years the former two-man company has evolved into a world-renowned producer of unique high-performance automobiles.

"To mark AMG's 45th birthday we are presenting the SL 65 AMG "45th ANNIVERSARY" – a very special anniversary model in a limited edition of 45 vehicles. The superior V12 roadster with exclusive appointments embodies our brand claim "Driving Performance" to perfection", says Ola Källenius, Chairman of Mercedes-AMG GmbH.

The designers have created a new paint finish exclusively for the SL 65 AMG "45th ANNIVERSARY": designo magno graphite. This grey colour with its satin look further highlights the V12 roadster's supremely powerful character. The matt finish brings out the contours of the aluminium body in particularly striking guise. Highlights in the form of high-gloss chrome applications add interesting contrasts.

Such highlights include the new "twin-blade" radiator grille with blade-like slats, the surround for the AMG-specific LED daytime driving lights and the fins on the wings and the hood, for example.

Exterior Carbon-Fibre package in matt finish

The Exterior Carbon-Fibre package in matt finish is exclusive to the SL 65 AMG "45th ANNIVERSARY". The cross strut in the front apron, the exterior mirrors and the spoiler lip are produced in genuine carbon fibre with a satin finish. The AMG 6.0-litre V12 biturbo engine features the same look: the high-quality engine cover consists of matt carbon fibre and aluminium.

The AMG sports exhaust system provides for a characteristic engine sound. The outer surround of the twin tailpipe comes in black with chrome plating, while the inner insert is finished in high-gloss chrome. The AMG multi-spoke forged wheels painted in titanium grey with high-sheen rim flange and matt finish round off the appearance to perfection. The light-alloy wheels from the AMG Performance Studio are fitted with tyres in size 255/35 R 19 at the front and 285/30 R 20 at the rear.

Exquisitely designed interior with full range of appointments

The interior design of the SL 65 AMG "45th ANNIVERSARY" has been carefully coordinated with the special designo magno graphite paint finish: sitting in the highly exclusive AMG V12 roadster, one is surrounded by a composition of exquisite materials and exceptional workmanship combined with a comprehensive scope of standard-fit appointments.

A defining stylistic element is the upholstery in designo Exclusive STYLE leather in titanium grey pearl/ginger beige. The distinctive upholstery featuring the AMG-specific V12 layout with a diamond pattern adorns both the electrically adjustable AMG sports seats and the door centre panels. Embossed AMG emblems on the seat backrests exude the same class as the designo nappa leather roof lining in ginger beige featuring special stitching details in AMG V12 diamond pattern.

The AMG Performance steering wheel sports an AMG logo in its bottom bezel and offers a two-tone rim in titanium grey/ginger beige. The AMG trim elements are also finished in matt carbon fibre to match the matt finish of the Exterior Carbon-Fibre package. A badge on the ashtray cover bearing the logo "45th ANNIVERSARY – 1 OF 45" alludes to the 45th birthday of the AMG high-performance brand and highlights the exclusive character of this very special SL 65 AMG.

The SL 65 AMG "45th ANNIVERSARY" features an exclusive and extensive range of standard-fit appointments (selection):

AIRSCARF
Active Parking Assist incl. PARKTRONIC
Active Multicontour Seat package
AMG ceramic high-performance compound brake system
Bang & Olufsen BeoSound AMG high-end surround sound system
COMAND Online with 6-disc DVD changer
Driving Assistance package Plus with DISTRONIC PLUS including BAS PLUS, PRE-SAFE® Brake, Active Lane Keeping Assist and Active Blind Spot Assist
Frontbass
Intelligent Light System (ILS)
Media interface
KEYLESS-GO Convenience package (incl. remote-closing boot lid and HANDS-FREE ACCESS system)
MAGIC VISION CONTROL
NECK-PRO head restraints
Panoramic vario roof with MAGIC SKY CONTROL
PRE-SAFE® system
Door power closing
Automatic, pop-up roll-over bars for driver and front passenger
Electric draught-stop

* AMG Performance Media with telemetry function is additionally available from the AMG Performance Studio as an optional extra

The market launch of the Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG "45th ANNIVERSARY" will take place in September 2012.

45 years of high performance – the history of AMG

AMG – this brand stands for "Driving Performance", Mercedes-Benz-style. An uncompromisingly sporty driving experience is the hallmark of automobiles developed by AMG. This sporty character is shaped by unique driving dynamics together with maximum agility, a fascinating sound and emphatically sporty design. "Driving Performance" also embodies AMG's aspiration to be a driving force and innovator in the development of high-performance vehicles.

AMG is Mercedes-Benz's high-performance brand. Since its foundation in 1967, Mercedes-AMG GmbH, based in Affalterbach near Stuttgart, has been concerned with the development of motor racing and engine technologies. Numerous successes in the field of motorsport and an excellent reputation among customers around the globe attest to the outstanding expertise offered by the AMG brand. As a one hundred percent subsidiary of Daimler AG, Mercedes-AMG GmbH has enjoyed a rapid rise to its present status. Today, the company is firmly integrated into Mercedes-Benz's development processes. This close involvement right from the concept development stage for new models spawns high-performance automobiles which embody a perfect blend of hallmark Mercedes-Benz genes and exclusive AMG features. The Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG is the latest result of this process to demonstrate the charismatic appeal which is the natural outcome of this partnership.

Mercedes-AMG is the right address for those in search of something special. The Performance Studio in Affalterbach develops and produces individual AMG vehicles and exclusive small series; the SLS, the SLS Roadster and the supremely sporty Black Series vehicles enjoy something approaching legendary status. The AMG high-performance brand is in its element on the race track – the SLS AMG GT3 has also been deployed in customer racing since 2011.

Mercedes-AMG GmbH currently employs a workforce of 1000 at its plant in Affalterbach. AMG's professionalism is defined by its pursuit of high performance as embodied in its vehicles, coupled with a due commitment to precision and respect in keeping with the brand motto of "Driving Performance."
Old 04-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 04-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 850 Likes on 673 Posts
I would buy this car and never get out so that I wouldn't have to see the exterior.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz: SL-Class News