Mercedes-Benz: Development and Technology News - Page 7 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > Automotive Discussion > Automotive News
Reload this Page >

Mercedes-Benz: Development and Technology News

Notices

Mercedes-Benz: Development and Technology News

Old 05-10-2017, 07:01 PM

Thanked 1,979 Times in 1,167 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
If the CLA is selling like hotcakes, sure, they got the formula correct. But CLA is not selling, so why not give the A class a try?
The CLA is selling like hotcakes because it's the most affordable MB model in the US at the moment, IIRC. The C-Class once had that distinction, but they moved it upmarket.

More importantly, the CLA is a sedan. It could be a CUV/crossover and do almost as well.

A wagon or hatchback though? Another guess, but those probably sell about as well as coupes do. There's a reason why the previous gen S3 was a hatchback, and now it's only available as a sedan here.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,622 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco View Post
The CLA is selling like hotcakes because it's the most affordable MB model in the US at the moment, IIRC. The C-Class once had that distinction, but they moved it upmarket.

More importantly, the CLA is a sedan. It could be a CUV/crossover and do almost as well.

A wagon or hatchback though? Another guess, but those probably sell about as well as coupes do. There's a reason why the previous gen S3 was a hatchback, and now it's only available as a sedan here.
I remember seeing the CLA's sales #, C class was selling 3 to 1.
CLA is not a sedan it is a Coopay!!

Audi is not a good example since they struggle to sell cars regardless if it was wagon, sedan or whatever. There are enough wagon/hatch back buyers out there (see golf, focus and etc..) it's just how Mercedes plan to attract these buyers to pay a little more for a sub $30k wagaon.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

selling between 1000 to 3000 units in the past 2 years is hardly "selling like hotcakes" especially since that is the cheapest and affordable MB. That is the point, why not give A class a try. MB will still be able to maintain that low 1000 units even "no one buys it"

Old 05-11-2017, 12:41 PM

Thanked 1,979 Times in 1,167 Posts
My bad, reading comprehension fail. Totally misread the part where you said the CLA is not selling well. I didn't know one way or another

I still don't see them bringing the A-Class here. It definitely isn't going to sell even as well as the CLA, and if it only moves 1000 units a month in the early stages, it's only a matter of time until it dwindles into 2G RL-like sales numbers

I'll eat my shoe if I'm wrong
Old 05-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

You are probably right. Unless BMW brings the 2 series wagon over, otherwise MB will not do it. They (Audi, MB and BMW) are at the point that they will compete just for the sake of competing.

The good thing about MB is they can afford to experiment even if the A series is a complete fail, it would not hurt them 1 bit since they have so many models and the GLA/CLA is not their volume seller anyway. It would not be the same as RL or RLX, MB badge alone is enough to sell, especially for the younger people who really just want a Mercedes or a BMW, regardless what it is.

Acura on the other hand is a completely different story.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 05-11-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Thanked 1,312 Times in 967 Posts
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/mer...cars-new-class

Plus: more powertrains on offer for the new A, including that scorching AMG version

Mercedes will launch eight cars off the new-generation A-Class. But the CEO Dieter Zetsche says none of them will be smaller than the A. There will be no Mini rival from Stuttgart.

What are the cars? Well, the new A-Class itself, recently revealed and soon on sale. Then, says Zetsche, “we will further expand the SUVs. We need something more SUV than the GLA.” He’s talking about a boxy vehicle that’s been seen testing in disguise. It has the outline of a mini G-Wagen. It will, sources say, be called GLB and will have three rows of seats.

“The new BMW X2 is basically like the [current] GLA,” Zetsche observes wryly. “And you will see a new GLA. As in other segments we’ll have two interpretations. So the GLA will be more in the SUV direction, and that will expand our scope. It gives us the possibility of doing something between the A-Class and the GLA.” So, three crossovers: GLA Coupe, GLA and GLB.

“There will be a three-box [saloon], mostly for the USA and Asia,” he says. That’s been previewed by the Concept A Sedan at the Shanghai show last year. We understand there will also be a LWB version of that Sedan especially for China.

Don’t confuse the A saloon with the CLA – that one has done well for Mercedes in the US and will be replaced. But a new CLA Shooting Brake isn’t likely. The CLS Shooting Brake has also died, remember.

So: a hatch, three four-doors, three SUVs. And finally, a replacement for the B-Class MPV. That’s your eight.

There will also be more powertrains. These include petrol and diesel – Zetsche makes bold claims for the cleanliness of the new diesels – and of course a scorching AMG version. There’s also going to be a plug-in hybrid, sources say, which is why there’s a compact new torsion-beam suspension for the A-Class, to make space for the battery (at launch it’s fitted to a few low-powered petrol and diesel versions, while higher performance and AWD cars get multi-link).

Since you mention BMW, I ask Zetsche, why not do a smaller car off your FWD platform. Why no rival to the Mini hatch? “That’s not a place for us to go. Not for our image, or for the bottom line. We won’t just chase sales numbers without profit.”

He says the outgoing A-Class has been great for both those things. “It has made the Mercedes brand younger and cooler. And it has sold 25 per cent more than the equivalent BMW and Audi, and made a significant contribution [to profits].”

The original little upright A-Class sold well enough but was mostly bought by older people. “It was a burden on the brand.” With the current one, “average age of buyers went down by ten years. That’s huge. And a high proportion are women.” He adds that most buyers were conquested from other brands, and yet then they have stayed with Mercedes, a high proportion then trading up into other even more profitable Mercedes’ such as a C-Class or GLC.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/mot...re-youd-expect

AMG Speedway opens up not in Stuttgart, but on the outskirts of Gangnam

This is a peek at the world’s first AMG-branded circuit. Called the AMG Speedway, it’s on the outskirts of the Gangnam region of Seoul. Yep, South Korea’s never far from the news, even when we’re talking about German performance cars.

There’s logic, of course; Mercedes says South Korea is a big market for AMG, making somewhere to host driving experiences, dealer events and suchlike makes a lot of sense. Merc’s performance offshoot set a sales record in 2017.

Rather than build a new circuit, though, AMG has adapted an old one. A very old one in South Korean terms: despite opening in 1995, Everland Speedway is described as the country’s longest-serving permanent track, though it had a Hermann Tilke redesign in 2011 and now measures 2.7 miles and has 17 turns.

Quite how quickly the Mercedes-AMG Project One hypercar (pictured, right) will make its way through those 17 turns hasn’t yet been divulged. Oh, and if you’ve made it all the way though without Gangnam Style getting stuck in your head, you’re doing a lot better than us.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:30 AM
Helped Jack off the horse

Thanked 4,307 Times in 3,239 Posts
The article says 17 turns. I see only 12.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:32 AM

Cool! This site shows timelines of the track changes. This is the latest:

Everland Speedway - RacingCircuits.info

Old 05-10-2018, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

I just googled the track & grabbed an image.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

https://electrek.co/2018/06/07/daiml...ia-tesla-semi/

Daimler unveils electric eCascadia semi truck to compete with Tesla Semi, launches electric truck group
Daimler, one of the world’s largest truck maker, has been feeling the pressure from Tesla’s electric truck – going as far as saying that they have “passed them by” if the claims Tesla is making about its electric semi truck are true.

Now the German truck manufacturer is answering back with the launch of its own electric truck group along with the unveiling of two more electric trucks, including an electric version of their Cascadia to compete with Tesla Semi.

Daimler had already unveiled the FUSO eCanter program, a small electric truck meant for urban routes with a range of only 100 kilometers (62 miles) and a load capacity up to three and a half tons, and a bigger all-electric eTruck, which has a 26 ton capacity, a massive 212 kWh battery pack, and ~125 miles of range.

Both vehicles weren’t really a competition for Tesla’s electric truck, which is a class 8 with 80,000-lb capacity and a range of up to 500 miles on a single charge.

Now the company is launching a new unit called E-Mobility Group to consolidates its electric truck efforts.

Martin Daum, head of Trucks and Buses at Daimler and the same man who said that ‘Tesla Semi defies laws of physics and is passing us by if true‘, commented on the launch:

“We are the undisputed global leader of the trucking industry and we intend to remain in that position with electric trucks. We were first-movers on electric trucks and strive to set the standard in each relevant segment in which we compete. With the formation of our new global E-Mobility Group, we will maximize the impact of our investments in this key strategic technology. Thus, we can pursue the best solutions in batteries, charging solutions and energy management.”
The new group will develop electric powertrains for electric trucks and buses made by Daimler’s many truck and bus companies.

With the launch of the group, Freightliner, Daimler’s main truck company, is unveiling the eCascadia (center in picture above), a class 8 truck with a range of up to 250 miles, according to the company:

“The Freightliner eCascadia is based on the Cascadia, the most successful heavy-duty long-distance truck (class 8) in the North American market. 730 hp is almost silently generated under the characteristically long, U.S.-style hood. At 550 kWh, its batteries provide enough energy for a range of up to 400 km (250 miles), and can be recharged to around 80 percent within 90 minutes to cover a further 320 km (200 miles).”

Daimler describes it as a long-range vehicle, but it also unveiled a smaller electric truck for “local distribution”, which consists of an electric version of the M2 106 (left on the picture above).

The company describes the vehicle:“The Freightliner eM2 106 is intended for local distribution operations and last-mile delivery services. The batteries of the new electric version provide 325 KWh for up to 480 hp. The range of the eM2 is around 370 km (230 miles). The batteries can be recharged to around 80 percent within 60 minutes, sufficient for a range of around 300 km (184 miles).”
They plan to deliver the first ~30 units of these two trucks to customers in North America by the end of the year.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:38 PM
Alright, alright, alright

Thanked 1,482 Times in 976 Posts
Will Mercedes-Benz' New Pick-Up Make You The Man You Were Always Supposed To Be?

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a...upposed-to-be/

​​​​​​If childhood memories are to be trusted, it used to seem that a man’s free time was entirely spent performing “tasks” around the home. Even bookish accountant types were capable of building an extension from scratch on a Saturday morning, before replumbing the bath and then having a bonfire. No wonder they all drove estates, carried a haunted look and demanded possession of their own chair in the living room.

For our generation, of course, weekends are now spent making shakshuka, queueing at the fishmonger’s, doing a HIIT class, catching up on emails, driving to soft play, playing Fifa and deciding whether or not to post a picture of a tree on Instagram. It’s no surprise that we are supposed to have lost the ability to do tasks. There’s hardly any time. The most “handy” we get is watering the herbs, rebooting the Wi-Fi when it freezes and occasionally buying an HDMI cable on Amazon.

There comes a point, though, when the urge to reclaim the skills of your father reaches critical mass. When you tire of being ineffectual and want to draw a clear line in the sand. If indeed you owned the tools to draw such a line. Or knew where to buy a bag of sand. I thought of all this when I took possession of the new Mercedes-Benz X-Class. Here is a car that could carry that sand in bagfuls. Billed as a premium pick-up, it’s a machine that does not like messing about and expects the same commitment from you. In black with a chrome grille and sculpted bonnet, it waited patiently on the street to be put to use. Handsome, robust, purposeful.

I waited too, possibly slightly intimidated and worrying about imposter syndrome. But seeing it parked outside began to elicit strange urges to get all my windows replaced, start a weekend food truck or head off into the wilderness for some al fresco camping.

The X-Class is also the only pick-up around that hits the “luxury” mark. On the face of it, a luxurious take on a car designed to be strong and practical might seem a clash but once you climb into the cabin it makes sense. Leather and chrome frame the well-designed dash, which features all the tech you’d expect from a high-specced SUV. It’s roomy, too, front and back, with an all-round chunkiness you want and expect on a car like this. To the rear is its chief asset, a massive load bay, almost 1.6m long and 1.6m wide. Brilliant for carrying a tonne of stuff (in this case literally true). Not as great for parallel parking outside the Co-op, admittedly.

With the engine surging, my arm out of the window and the satnav programmed for a timber yard, I couldn’t help picturing the opening credits of The Sopranos as I powered through the streets of East Dulwich.

Thanks to a range-topping engine in the new V6 X350d, this beast can move — hitting 62mph in just 7.9 seconds. Given its size, the throttle is immediate and handling surprisingly agile, making for fast and fun progress around town. The permanent four-wheel drive system takes a lot of credit, too; handling most surfaces and weather systems you can throw at it. Comfort, Eco and Sport modes can be selected depending on how much you are enjoying cruising past those annoyances you used to know as “cars”. The obvious question is how much do you need a pick-up? The X-Class is predominantly pitched at the small-business and artisan market, which also benefits from some pretty enticing tax breaks, but the private pick-up market is growing globally, especially at the top end.

Spend a week with one and you start to realise this could actually be the much cooler alternative to a family estate or SUV. Everyone’s got an SUV, after all, and the estate car, despite a low-key renaissance of late, can still carry the mild aroma of a human male who has given in and given up. The X-Class, on the other hand, has the sweet scent of getting shit done. Opening up the load bay in full view of your neighbours is quite a feeling. In just a few days I had been catapulted into the category of “handy” and didn’t even feel like a fraud.

If you’ve ever heard of the “act as if” technique in Neuro-Linguistic Programming you’ll understand the power in pretending you are competent at something you are not. Yes, it is basically lying to yourself but apparently it can work. As I parked my X-Class outside for the last time, my week of acting “as if” I deserved an X-Class was over, now it was up to me. Like an automotive life coach, this pick-up had at least sparked an idea of what I could one day become.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:20 PM
Q('.')=O

No way. Americans won't have it.. a Mercedes pickup? Will fail just like the Lincoln Blackwood.

Nothing will overtake the F150/Silverado/GMC
Old 10-10-2018, 10:41 PM
FFS

Thanked 1,009 Times in 713 Posts
Originally Posted by imj0257 View Post
No way. Americans won't have it.. a Mercedes pickup? Will fail just like the Lincoln Blackwood.

Nothing will overtake the F150/Silverado/GMC
I dunno man. So many people down here have pickups and don't need them. If they keep their sales goal reasonable they can do it.

But it's Mercedes. We don't expect their sedans to outsell the Corolla. We shouldn't expect their pickup to outsell the F150.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:58 AM
Registered Member

Chicken tax will keep out of the US.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:16 AM
FFS

Thanked 1,009 Times in 713 Posts
Originally Posted by biker View Post
Chicken tax will keep out of the US.
I get the concept, but does it apply if the car is built in Alabama?
Old 10-11-2018, 09:40 AM

Parts are still from overseas though. It would only be assembled in America.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Pretty sure MB has said they have no intent of bringing the X-class to the US.
I'm sure it would sell, but not likely in huge numbers.