AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Mercedes-Benz: Development and Technology News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/mercedes-benz-development-technology-news-294438/)

gavriil 01-25-2003 11:56 PM

Mercedes-Benz: Development and Technology News

I thought Mercedes would stop at the S55 and S600 and the CL 55 and CL600. Let us all remember again what the numbers are cos I have lost count with Mercedes lately. They are really going crazy-fast with this HP war. OK:

2003 Mercedes-Benz CL55/S55 AMG

Base Engine Size: 5.5 liters
Base Engine Type: V8 force-fed
Horsepower: 493 hp
Max Horsepower: 6100 rpm
Torque: 516 ft-lbs
Max Torque: 2650 rpm

2003 Mercedes-Benz CL600/S600

Base Engine Size: 5.5 liters
Base Engine Type: V12
Horsepower: 493 hp
Max Horsepower: 5000 rpm
Torque: 590 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 1800 rpm

So now the news I hear (this is not confirmed officialy, so it's a rumor):

MERCEDES WILL RELEASE S65-CL65-SL65 ALL 600HP-V12s

So 6.5 liters, all V12s and twin turbocharged for 600HP total and 1000 Nm of torque at MINIMUM which is 738 lb-ft.

Holy moly, these guys are for real.

allmotor_2000 01-25-2003 11:59 PM

WHAT!!??!! Damn basketball playerz get fo-fast goodies for free!

darrinb 01-26-2003 12:22 AM

the 2003 600's are alredy turboed

KavexTrax 01-26-2003 01:37 AM

http://www.newcanada.com/102/mama.jpg

mattg 01-26-2003 02:39 AM

:gulp:

Caddy© 01-26-2003 08:05 AM

What he Said :rolleyes:

Originally posted by KavexTrax
http://www.newcanada.com/102/mama.jpg

astro 01-26-2003 09:48 AM

the e55 is going to be the fastest production benz yet, until these cars come out...

someguy 01-26-2003 10:42 AM

That's insane...

What "war" is Mercedes fighting with the S-class. No one short of Benltey has power to come close to the forced induction S-class.

The nearest competetor is the new 760Li with a 6.0L 438hp V12, N/A. And, the BMW is a lot heavier, good for comfort, but bad for speed....

TypeSAddict 01-26-2003 11:40 AM

I heard they were gonna be 6.3L.

liquid_x 01-26-2003 11:47 AM

Originally posted by darrinb
the 600s are NA V12
the 55s are supercharged V8s

my friend told me what gavriil is talkin about a fwe months ago. says its supposed to be detuned maybach engines

ItalianStallion 01-26-2003 11:48 AM

i thought it was CL62 AMG and S62 AMG. they had something on their website about it.....

my dad has a new E55 on order. its gonna be bad ass.

someguy 01-26-2003 11:50 AM

Originally posted by liquid_x
the 600s are NA V12

not this year

http://mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp...pec=0&menu=3_0

Engine and Drivetrain

Engine Intercooled twin-turbocharged 5,513-cc SOHC 36-valve 60° V-12. Two-piece high-pressure die-cast alloy cylinder block. Alloy heads and pistons. Die-cast magnesium cylinder head covers.

Net power 493 hp @ 5,000 rpm

Net torque 590 lb-ft @ 1,800 - 3,500 rpm

Compression ratio 9.0:1

Fuel requirement Premium unleaded, 91 pump octane.

Fuel and ignition system ME 2.7.1 engine management. Integrated sequential multipoint fuel injection and phased twin-spark ignition includes individual cylinder control of fuel spray, spark timing and phase, and antiknock. Electronic throttle includes adaptive accelerator, which provides more rapid throttle opening in response to the speed at which accelerator pedal is depressed. Two high-energy ignition coils and two spark plugs per cylinder, with 60,000-mile spark plug intervals.

Intake system Twin turbochargers (one per cylinder bank, integrated in exhaust manifolds) with liquid-to-air intercoolers.

darrinb 01-26-2003 11:53 AM

yea i told ya they are tt v-12's

liquid_x 01-26-2003 11:55 AM

Originally posted by someguy
not this year

http://mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp...pec=0&menu=3_0

:doh: i was jus on the site and i saw NA V12 somewhere my bad yall

gavriil 01-26-2003 12:50 PM

Originally posted by darrinb
Yes they are but they are not 6.5 liters large and dont make 600 HP. ;)

gavriil 01-26-2003 12:53 PM

Originally posted by someguy
That's insane...

What "war" is Mercedes fighting with the S-class. No one short of Benltey has power to come close to the forced induction S-class.

The nearest competetor is the new 760Li with a 6.0L 438hp V12, N/A. And, the BMW is a lot heavier, good for comfort, but bad for speed....

LIke I said. Mercedes is out to win the HP war. These guys are for real. I mean 1000 HP just a year ago sounded out of this world for production. Then we it coming from a QUAD turboed large engine, then from a NA V16 at Dertroit. The way it is going, we might have 4, 5 or 6 options for 1000HP in 3 years.

The 660HP from the Enzo will sound not enough in 4 years. The torque from the engine already sounds "inadequate". :) It's getting crazy out there.

gavriil 01-26-2003 12:57 PM

Originally posted by ItalianStallion
i thought it was CL62 AMG and S62 AMG. they had something on their website about it.....

my dad has a new E55 on order. its gonna be bad ass.

The above unoficial news I posted are supposed to be CANCELING the above plan. It is true, they were thinking about the S62 and S63 but they scrapped it cos it would not have been enough. :) I cannot believe I am writing this, but that is what they thought.

Now I am thinking of our stinking 260HP and feel nothing. I mean, 260HP meant somthing just 2.5 years ago guys. Now?

It is rediculous. I know.

SilverCL225hp 01-26-2003 02:49 PM

What's the point when they got Maybach already?

cusdaddy 01-26-2003 04:48 PM

I mean I LOVE HP, but isn't this just a little overkill? And I'm sure they'll all be attached to auto's....

Beltfed 01-26-2003 05:02 PM

For a majority of suburban areas, these cars are overkill.

On LI, you simply cannot use the power these new cars are starting to put out. You don't need 400hp to merge onto a busy highway.

There is so much congestion during most hours of the day/weekend, you can't go anywhere. Late evening is a different story.

If its a single lane road, more often than not I'm stuck behind 2 or 3 cars with a huge truck or Minivan in front of them driving 30 miles/per hour.

So, I like more power just as much as anybody and if you're paying big money for a car....I'm all for it.

But when you're getting into 500+ hp roadcars, that's just plain overkill for most situations. Even if you wanted to, you couldn't take advantage of it.

This comes from years of having fast cars (luxury and sport) between myself and my oldman.

bkknight369 01-26-2003 09:58 PM

yea you have a good point beltfed. I can see that much power in total sports cars, but these are luxuary sedans.

gavriil 02-12-2003 12:19 PM

Update: Mercedes putting finishing touches on turbocharged 6.5-liter V12

Update from this thread here:

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...highlight=cl65

Mercedes putting finishing touches on more powerful, turbocharged 6.5-liter V12

Mercedes-Benz’s appetite for power remains unfulfilled, according to press reports in Germany. Not content with the 500 hp delivered by the supercharged 5.4-liter V8 engine found in the SL55, the German carmaker is putting the finishing touches on an even more powerful, turbo-charged 6.5-liter V12.

The new powerplant, offspring of the 60-degree unit used in the upmarket Maybach, produces more than 600 hp along with 723 lb-ft of torque. The new engine is due to appear in a CL65 AMG model slated for launch later this year.

Rod 02-12-2003 01:04 PM

OMG! :eek: :clap: I can't wait to see it in the SL. I love those cars! I really need to win the lottery or something. I'd sell my soul for that car....shit, even for a SL 500, 600, or 55. :D Any links to the source?

gavriil 02-12-2003 04:11 PM

The source is Autoweek.

Awais 02-13-2003 02:36 AM

:eek: :eek:

NOVAwhiteTypeS 02-13-2003 03:03 AM

gavrill, i merged the two ;)

gavriil 04-30-2003 10:48 AM

F1 driver spied testing Mercedes-Benz supercar

http://www.autoweek.com/images_conte...3_04/slr_1.jpg

http://www.autoweek.com/weekart/2003/0505/slr_2.jpg
David Coulthard was snapped driving a heavily disguised prototype version of the forthcoming SLR supercar during a recent shake down test in Germany.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coulthard tunes SLR: F1 driver spied testing Mercedes-Benz supercar

By GREG KABLE

First Mercedes-Benz signed up McLaren to build its $330,000 SLR roadster at its new Woking, England-based tech center. Now, it’s initiated McLaren’s F1 ace and Australian Grand Prix champ David Coulthard to help develop the vehicle.
The Scot was snapped driving a heavily disguised prototype version of the forthcoming supercar during a recent shake down test in Germany. According to Mercedes-Benz sources, Coulthard was called in to lend expertise to the tuning of the suspension and associated electrical systems, such as stability and traction control, prior to the SLR being signed off for production.

To be unveiled at the Frankfurt motor show in September, the left-drive only SLR is set to become not only the fastest but also the most expensive Mercedes-Benz road car to date. Power is rumored to come from a beefed up version of the supercharged 5.4-litre V8 engine used in the SL55 AMG, boosted in this case to push out close to 600 hp and propel the car to a 185-mph top speed.

Volumes will be limited to around 500 cars annually over a planned seven-year production period. Mercedes-Benz and McLaren have invested around $220 million in the development of the new car, which will compete head on with the Porsche Carrera GT and Ferrari Enzo.

Zapata 04-30-2003 04:15 PM

oooofah :puke: that nose is way to long. SuperCar that isn't MidEngine.....no thanks.

gavriil 04-30-2003 04:34 PM

Oh come on chief. You are exagurating. Are you saying the 456 and the 550 are not supercars?

Red Nj-s 04-30-2003 06:46 PM

HOTTTTTTTTTT. :drool:

amisconception 05-01-2003 02:02 AM

that is a HUGE nose...

danny25 05-01-2003 08:44 AM

Looks like Ace & Gary's cock-mobile. :shakehd:

gavriil 05-01-2003 10:21 PM

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/w...7_image002.jpg

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/w...7_image004.jpg

http://a298.g.akamai.net/7/298/5382/...7_image006.jpg

Collective27 05-01-2003 10:36 PM

That thing is gonna be unblevable looking, i dont know how you can even come close to saying that its not zapita....anyway, i love the look, and gav, thats the 575M, not the 550 ;)

mattg 05-04-2003 05:06 AM

suede dash :drool:

ItalianStallion 05-04-2003 09:38 AM

im not hot for the wheels.
im am hot for the engine, rear, bodykit, dash, exhaust.....

capa_22CL 05-06-2003 10:59 AM

comment above for reality pics..

one word - "HOT"..
id buy that for a dollar.. :devil:

gavriil 05-15-2003 02:35 PM

7G-TRONIC: Mercedes-Benz presents the world’s first seven-speed automatic tranny

http://car.kak.net/bilder/mercedes/m...tomatic01s.jpg

The world’s first standard-fitted seven-speed automatic transmission for passenger cars will make future Mercedes models even more economical and further boost their acceleration. In addition, the new transmission variant will also considerably enhance shifting comfort still further. The new 7G-TRONIC seven-speed automatic transmission will be a standard feature of the E 500, S 430, S 500, CL 500 and SL 500 models from autumn 2003, replacing the five-speed automatic version currently fitted.

· Fitted as standard in five eight-cylinder models from autumn 2003
· Fuel saving of up to 0.6 litres per 100 kilometres
· Even shorter acceleration times and quicker intermediate sprints

The newly developed seven-speed automatic transmission reduces fuel consumption in the NEDC driving cycle by as much as 0.6 litres per 100 kilometres (depending on the car), increases acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h by up to 0.3 seconds and allows significantly quicker intermediate sprints from 60 to 120 km/h. At the same time, shifting is even smoother, and therefore more comfortable, than with the automatic transmission presently used.

The Mercedes engineers have achieved these advances above all through the use of seven gear ratios. These allow the automatic transmission to retain the small increases in engine speed which are important in ensuring optimum gear ratios, whilst at the same time offering a larger ratio spread between the lowest and highest gear. This gives the electronic control unit more flexibility to adjust shifting in such as way as to keep fuel consumption low and the transmission’s reactions fast. What’s more, it also lowers the average engine speed - a clear plus point in terms of both cutting fuel consumption and keeping the lid on noise levels.

Fast gear-change using the principle of repeated downshift

When the driver switches down rapidly through the gears (kickdown), the new transmission does not always select the individual gears in strict order. Instead, 7G-TRONIC will miss out a particular gear if necessary, switching from seventh gear straight down to fifth, for example, and from there directly to third. In this situation, only two gear changes are actually required - instead of the normal four - in order to accelerate quickly using kickdown.

Shift quality, meanwhile, also hits new heights. The new transmission glides through the gears extremely smoothly and yet with impressive speed. Gear-change is barely noticeable, especially in the higher gears.

Torque converter lockup from first gear

As in its predecessor, one outstanding feature of the new seven-speed automatic transmission is a lockup clutch in the hydrodynamic torque converter. In many situations, this system largely eliminates slip between the pump and turbine rotor. It does this by establishing a virtually fixed connection wherever possible between the engine shaft and transmission shaft, creating an extremely effective barrier to output loss. In contrast to conventional automatic transmissions, in which torque converter lockup is only possible in higher gears, the lockup clutch in the new seven-speed automatic transmission from Mercedes-Benz is active from the first gear up.

Despite these significant technical advances, the 7G-TRONIC automatic transmission is barely any larger or heavier than the five-speed automatic transmission currently fitted in Mercedes passenger cars. Credit for this impressive achievement goes in particular to the transmission casing, which is constructed in lightweight magnesium - also a world premiere in volume production.

Mercedes has produced eleven million automatic transmissions since 1959

The 7G-TRONIC transmission development represents the fifth generation of automatic transmissions made by the Mercedes-Benz brand, and in so doing continues an impressive tradition. Since 1959, the Stuttgart-based car maker has produced over eleven million automatic transmissions. Whilst the automatic transmission is part of the standard equipment in the S-Class, around 88 percent of all Mercedes E-Class customers currently order their car with automatic transmission, whilst the figure stands at some 65 percent for the C-Class Saloons, Estates and Sports Coupés - and this figure is on the rise.

The new seven-speed automatic transmission will be produced at the Mercedes plant at Stuttgart-Untertürkheim, the original location of the company’s very first production facility. DaimlerChrysler has invested some 400 million euros at the plant in the construction of a new complex of buildings containing state-of-the-art production equipment and installations for around 1100 employees.

1SICKLEX 05-15-2003 03:02 PM

Incredible!! This technology will pass down to other car makers, who will actually make it work.

Wow, we went frm 6 to 7 speeds autos pretty quickly. It took forever to get from 4 speed to 5 speed autos.

Red Nj-s 05-15-2003 11:01 PM

What is the point?

Fuel saving of up to 0.6 litres per 100 kilometres

:whocares: