Lincoln LS News **Up to $8K rebate offered (page 2)**

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 11:04 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lincoln LS News **Up to $8K rebate offered (page 2)**

Ford developing two new sedans to help freshen Lincoln lineup - - By AMY WILSON | Automotive News - - Source: Autoweek

Ford Motor Co. is developing two sedans to freshen the tired Lincoln lineup, say suppliers familiar with the company's plans.

The new Lincolns will be based on the platform that underpins the Ford Five Hundred sedan and Freestyle sport wagon, which debut his summer. Suppliers expect the new Lincolns to replace the rear-wheel-drive LS and aging Town Car, the top-selling Lincoln, though that plan is not firm. The cars would go into production in 2007 and 2008.

The increased use of front-drive platforms shared with Ford Division contrasts with the strategy of Lincoln's archrival, Cadillac. General Motors spent about $4 billion on a dedicated rwd platform and new assembly plant for Cadillac.

To assemble the new Lincolns, Ford is preparing to redevelop its Atlanta assembly plant, which makes the Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable. That plant had been scrambling for future products. The plan adds more uncertainty to the underused Lincoln car plant in Wixom, Mich.

Ford has not completed the details, but it is working closely with suppliers and the UAW.

Ford declined to confirm the plan for Atlanta and the new cars. A spokesman said Lincoln has five new vehicles planned during the next four years.

As part of the plant redevelopment, Ford would invest in a new body shop and upgraded paint and general assembly areas at its plant in Hapeville, Ga. Ford could announce the Atlanta redevelopment as soon as August, said one source close to the project.

The redevelopment project replaces a plan to build a new greenfield plant in Georgia. That greenfield project was put on hold last year and deemed too costly. The price tag for an all-new plant likely would have been at least $1 billion, while redeveloping the existing plant probably will run about $750 million, sources said.

Gerald Bantom, the UAW vice president for the Ford department, wouldn't reveal details of the plans. But he expressed optimism for Atlanta's future in an interview last month.

"I feel pretty good about Atlanta," Bantom said. "I think Atlanta is going to get a new product."

A supplier park is being negotiated, Bantom said. The Hapeville plant sits on a small site tucked between Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and Interstate 75.

Bantom said the plan being considered for Atlanta would have the plant producing new product during the first quarter of 2006.

The early 2006 timing doesn't quite fit plans for the new Lincolns that the company shared with suppliers.

One supplier says the smaller Lincoln sedan, code-named d385, would go into production in July 2007 for the 2008 model year. The larger vehicle was described as an extended-wheelbase sedan code-named e386. It would launch in January 2008 as an early 2009 model-year vehicle.

The sedans, built on the front-drive D3 platform used for the Ford Five Hundred, likely would feature all-wheel drive. The D3 platform is derived largely from Volvo technology.

In addition to the two Lincolns, the Atlanta plant also would become a second plant assembling the Ford Five Hundred, suppliers said. The Five Hundred, which launches this summer at Ford's Chicago assembly plant, would go to Atlanta in early 2007.

It is possible that Atlanta also will be assigned to assemble the Lincoln Zephyr entry-level sedan in early 2006, one inside source said. That would fit with the first quarter 2006 timing voiced by Bantom in June. In that case, the Taurus and Sable would be dropped as early as August 2005.

The Zephyr is among a trio of mid-sized sedans built on Ford's Mazda6-derived CD3 platform. Ford previously has said those three sedans would go into production in summer 2005 at its Hermosillo, Mexico, plant.

Suppliers are expecting the demise of the existing rear-drive LS and Town Car in 2007 or 2008. It's unclear whether Ford will keep those nameplates for the Atlanta products.

It's also unclear whether the Zephyr and the two D3-based Lincolns will make up the entire Lincoln sedan lineup. If so, Lincoln largely would be abandoning the rear-drive segment even as luxury and mainstream brands such as Cadillac and Chrysler move back to rwd. But it is possible that Lincoln will continue to build the current Town Car on the 26-year-old rwd Panther platform, a Ford source said.

If the Atlanta plant eventually produces the three Lincoln sedans, it would displace the Wixom plant as the company's primary Lincoln sedan assembly plant. Wixom has been woefully underused in recent years and was reduced to one shift in 2002. In 2003, the plant produced 112,874 vehicles, less than half a typical plant in North America.

It assembles the current Lincoln LS and Town Car and the low-volume Ford Thunderbird and GT.

GT and Thunderbird production are expected to end after 2006.

The UAW's Bantom has said that Wixom's future is a "big concern" and that the union has been pressuring Ford to reinvest in that plant.

Old 07-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Ford seems to be changing their vehicle names on a regular basis.

I think that they fail to realize that the car itself and not the name is the problem.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW. Interesting new... I knew the Zephyr was to be FWD, but if the LS and Towncar replacements are to be based on FWD platforms... Lincoln better offer AWD as standard on both, or atleast the big car. Maybe they can get away with AWD as an option and FWD as standard for the LS replacement, but the big car must be atleast AWD, if RWD isn't an option. It really doesn't seem like Lincoln's stepping up to the plate... Caddy put their balls on the table and on the line, and it seems to have paid off for them. I think the final test will be the Deville replacement. But anyway, good luck Lincoln. I wonder what will happen to the S-Type (since it shares the same platform as the LS).
Old 07-12-2004, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Bad bad move Lincoln.. I really see the demise of that nameplate quite soon. Cadillac has left them in the dust, and it doesn't look like Lincoln will be catching them or the rest of the luxury car market anytime soon.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:07 PM

The LS was a turn in the right direction but it is so funny how one of the BEST American sedans is still way behind the imports. I actually like the LS, not bad. But with it pricing loaded at 50k, no fucking way.

The TownCar has it's market and fans, period.

I like the new Lincoln concept based on the Mazda 6, I forgot the name.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The LS was a turn in the right direction but it is so funny how one of the BEST American sedans is still way behind the imports. I actually like the LS, not bad. But with it pricing loaded at 50k, no fucking way.

I had a rental V8 LS in California about a year ago. I was impressed with the car, as it had excellent handling and a pretty powerful and smooth engine. I just think they WAY overcharge for that car.

BTW, the Mazda 6-based concept is called the Lincoln Zephyr
Old 07-12-2004, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
I had a rental V8 LS in California about a year ago. I was impressed with the car, as it had excellent handling and a pretty powerful and smooth engine. I just think they WAY overcharge for that car.

BTW, the Mazda 6-based concept is called the Lincoln Zephyr
Yeah, teh Zephyr, me likey. Yeah the LS is not bad at all. Just not great.
The 300C is superior for 15-10k in Hemi form.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:41 PM
Safety Car

I agree. The LS is a great sedan, but way over priced. The V8 only makes 280 hp... Licoln needs new engines across the board. The Zephyr is definitely a nice car, but I'm saddened that Mecury will get a version. Damn, can Licoln have a car without being saddled with the burden of sharing a version of the same fukin' car with Mercury. No wonder they're enhaling Caddy's tire smoke.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:56 AM
Kabachitare!

I guess due to budget cuts Ford is trying to stretch "badge engineering" to the limit. But will FWD Lincoln products coming out in 2007 be able to compete with the RWD V8 Cadillacs?
Old 07-15-2004, 01:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kansaiwalker1
I guess due to budget cuts Ford is trying to stretch "badge engineering" to the limit. But will FWD Lincoln products coming out in 2007 be able to compete with the RWD V8 Cadillacs?
Nope. That's my guess... no way FWD Lincolns will be be able to mess with the excellent RWD products from Caddy... let alone with the Northstar. And Caddy's 3.6V6 is no slouch either. I hope Lincoln's AWD offerings will be good.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:53 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Lincoln set to kill off LS after '06 model year, production to end next May - - AUTOMOTIVE NEWS - - Source: Autoweek

The Lincoln LS will be killed after the 2006 model year.

Production will end in May, Ford Motor Co. told employees at the Wixom, Mich., assembly plant, where the car is built.

The rear-drive LS got off to a promising start when it was introduced in 1999. Lincoln billed it as a combination of European performance and American styling and comfort. It was supposed to kick off a makeover of Lincoln's stodgy car line. But other new cars were canceled as Ford Motor's financial crisis unfolded.

The LS languished with little exterior updating, and sales fell from the nameplate's 2001 peak of 39,787. Last year, Lincoln sold 27,066 units of the LS. A replacement for the LS, developed on a front-drive Volvo platform, is scheduled to arrive in late 2007.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Instructor

I actually like the LS, not bad. But with it pricing loaded at 50k, no fucking way.

Exactly. That's at least $10K too much, esp. for a car with quality issues.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
My parents have an LS V6 and it's really a nice car (although a bit lite in the HP dept but, nothing the LS V8 couldnt remedy.) But you're right, it's several thousand $$$ too much. The Lincoln LS (and to a similar extent the Catera/CTS) really doesnt compete well with its Japanese counterparts and needed to at least undercut them in price...which it unfortunately did not.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
wow... I thought that lincoln had finally took a turn for the better when they introduced the euro inspired LS... Looks like they are taking a step backwards
Old 08-30-2005, 03:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
wow... I thought that lincoln had finally took a turn for the better when they introduced the euro inspired LS... Looks like they are taking a step backwards

Buy a Jaguar S-type.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:59 PM
goldmemberererer

The LS languished with little exterior updating, and sales fell from the nameplate's 2001 peak of 39,787. Last year, Lincoln sold 27,066 units of the LS. A replacement for the LS, developed on a front-drive Volvo platform, is scheduled to arrive in late 2007.
Those numbers really don't sound bad... with a couple of updates on the same general platform and picking up a good engine from the Ford parts bin, they could retain ~35k/year of sales with little R&D. What's wrong with that? Of course, there's a bigger story behind the curtains that I don't know about.

When I was car shopping (at age 17) through the used ads, I had narrowed my choices down to: CL type S or LS V8. Glad that the CL won my heart over after all.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Thats too bad, the LS was a great car.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:01 PM
Drifting

The Lincoln LS resale value is horrible, thus making it a great used car. I've driven quite a few LS V8's as rentals from Hertz, and they seem like good highway cruisers with effortless power in any speed and the A/C seats are a real nice treat to have in Florida. The only thing I don't like about them is the rear seat leg room feels cramped.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:28 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lincoln needs to do something really quick. They need to get the Mark coupes back and beef up their lineup. They are currently competing with Chrysler, barely. They should be in the same league as Caddy.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I'd say they are taking a step sideways. They want to be Acura. Not BMW or Lexus. THat's all.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:32 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by DownUnder
The Lincoln LS resale value is horrible, thus making it a great used car. I've driven quite a few LS V8's as rentals from Hertz, and they seem like good highway cruisers with effortless power in any speed and the A/C seats are a real nice treat to have in Florida. The only thing I don't like about them is the rear seat leg room feels cramped.
I meant to write a review of the V8 LS since I also got it as a rental from Hertz and lived with it for two days in DC. Never got to it though.

I remember a real bad cracking sound when the front door would close. Huge structural integridy issue with the B pillar was my guess.

Very ridgid overall as a chassis though. Steering was terrible. The engine was very nice overall. The auto tranny was better than that in the CLS. It liked being in 1st and would not change gears no matter what you did.

As a cruiser this thing was great. It did attain its purpose which was to combine American cruising comfort and space with Euro feel and looks. It was right in the middle from my experience.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gavriil
I'd say they are taking a step sideways. They want to be Acura. Not BMW or Lexus. THat's all.
Agreed. Especially with the FWD Zephyr coming. I think that it's promising, but going in a FWD/AWD direction will have consequences. Atleast Lincoln's lineup is supposed to be full, with the addition of the other two cars coming with the new Aviator and Navigator.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:53 PM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
They need a sub 30K car from a rebadged S40. Milage might drive lots of sales. Aviator/Navigator sales will implode with the rest of the segment.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Ford axes GT, two other cars - - Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News - - Source: http://www.detnews.com/

Ford Motor Co. has scrapped plans to build a high-performance version of its Explorer Sport Trac pickup and will halt production of both the Lincoln LS sedan and Ford GT sports car this year.

After announcing last week that the Wixom Assembly Plant would be idled in the second quarter of 2007, workers were told Monday that production of the LS would stop in April and work on the Ford GT would end in September.

After that, Wixom Assembly will build only the Lincoln Town Car until the plant is idled next year. The moves mean about 300 workers at Wixom will be out of work sooner than expected.

"As part of our way forward, we are adjusting our product plan and decided not to produce the Sport Trac Adrenaline," said Ford spokesman Jon Harmon.

The $40,000 LS is being replaced by the $30,000 Lincoln Zephyr. The LS sold 19,109 units in 2005, a decline of 29.4 percent from the 27,066 sold in 2004.

The Zephyr is a sportier sedan that shares a common architecture with hot-selling Ford Fusion. The Zephyr has sold more than 7,600 units since its introduction last fall.

Ford spokesman Jon Harmon would only say the automaker plans to discontinue the LS in the spring.

Hall said the decision to kill the LS takes away little from Lincoln's lineup, though limits its V-8 offerings until its new MKS flagship sedan goes into production.

"There is a loss for dealers though," Hall said. "To be sure, Zephyr is making up a lot of that."

The decision to shut down Wixom surprised many workers, who had hoped their plant would be spared. "It shook up a lot of people," said George Walter, who works on the line at Wixom.

The LS and the Ford GT account for nearly a third of Wixom's annual production. There are about 1,500 workers at Wixom. Ford has said the end of the LS would eliminate up to 280 jobs. Ford spokeswoman Anne Marie Gattari said about 40 people make the Ford GT. So, their loss could idle more than 300 workers at the factory, even before it formally shuts down.

Idled workers represented by the United Auto Workers union are eligible for unemployment, and the company makes up most of their difference in lost wages. Once their unemployment runs out, workers are transferred to Ford's jobs bank program, where they receive almost full pay and benefits.

Old 02-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
The Zephyr is the replacement for the LS?
The ingredients for a nice car were in the LS V8. I really like the way they look (still). That is sad that a nice RWD sports sedan is being replaced my a FWD rebadged Fusion. Not that they are bad cars but it is not the same thing. The Zephyr is uninspiring and not a true luxury sports sedan. It is Fancy mazda 6. That is not a bad car, but it is not a luxury sports sedan.
Bad move. They should have something nicer.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Race Director

Once their unemployment runs out, workers are transferred to Ford's jobs bank program, where they receive almost full pay and benefits.
And the Unions still complain.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Lincoln offering $8,000 in rebates on outgoing LS sedan - - Source: Autoweek

DETROIT -- Topped by a doubling of the maximum customer rebate on the Lincoln LS sedan, Ford Motor Co. pushed several of its buyer bonuses upward last week. The LS giveback now is $4,000 to $8,000; it had been $3,000 to $4,000.

Next in line is the Lincoln Town Car, which brings $6,500 to $7,000. The low end is up $500.

Rebates were increased $500 on the Ford F-150 and Lincoln Mark LT pickups. The giveback rose $1,000 on the Ford Explorer SUV and Crown Victoria sedan and $1,500 on the Lincoln Navigator SUV. The Ford Focus payment was reduced $1,000, and $500 was lopped off the rebates on the Mercury Mariner and Mountaineer SUVs and Montego and Grand Marquis sedans.

Finance rates were reduced on a range of nameplates. Ford Motor incentives are set to expire July 31.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:05 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i thought the LS was discontinued already. havent seen one on the roads in along time
Old 06-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Race Director

$8K on a 35K car is a big discount - just brings the price down to where the value of the car almost is.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:21 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
You know, Ive always liked the LS, I liked the rare 6 speed they offered aswell.

I dont know what the reliability is like, but I really like the exterior of the car, the engine is pretty good too...
Old 06-23-2006, 03:31 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

A Black LS with tinted windows always turn my head. Not alot of them around here.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:19 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The LS is a good car, not the best for the price, but now it seems like it's priced right.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:24 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3-4 years too late. LS looks very outdated.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

It's sad that Lincoln gave up on the LS because it was a great car. If Lincoln would have updated the car a few years ago it could have been a decent seller in their lineup.