Kia: K5/Optima News

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 12:25 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,473 Likes on 930 Posts
Would look even sleeker with clear DRL instead of amber. No AWD on the GT seems pretty silly, though. And throw in a manual!

Design-wise, it works.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:29 PM

Received 5,431 Likes on 3,717 Posts
Maybe Kia doesn't have a FWD AWD system that can handle the tqe?
Old 07-01-2020, 01:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
doesnt Stinger GT have AWD? but that is with 8AT.

I heard it is the issue with the DCT transmission.

I am curious why they didnt just tune the 8AT for this...
Old 07-01-2020, 02:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,798 Likes on 13,981 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
damn the interior and exterior remind me of Audi... oh wait... what?
Go leghump the new 4-Series.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:02 PM

doesnt Stinger GT have AWD? but that is with 8AT.

I heard it is the issue with the DCT transmission.

I am curious why they didnt just tune the 8AT for this...
Could be.
The Stinger is also RWD, so I'd imagine it's a completely different setup, being a longitudinal layout.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:08 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
That shit looks like a bad copy of Civic 4 door.
damn the interior and exterior remind me of Audi... oh wait... what?

Old 07-02-2020, 11:58 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
It does look better than the Sonata at least. The Sonata looked really good for the 2011-2013/14 design but get ugly for the 2015-2019 continued getting far uglier for the current generation.

And they keep taking away engine displacement.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AZuser
You wont get it,.. dont even try
Old 07-07-2020, 03:42 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
You wont get it,.. dont even try
*Old Spice guy voice*

Look at Yumcha's S5.

Now look at the Kia K5.

Now back to the S5. The S is now a K.

The four rings now look like this: K I A

Now look at Yumcha. Raff as he spent all that extra money on a Kihunday.
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (07-07-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 03:59 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Yummy. K. I. A.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:16 AM

https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/38...and-10000-less

The Kia K5 used to be called the Optima, and it's kind of hard to believe that in one generation it's gone from what was basically an off-brand Camry to something like this, a car that compromises in the best ways possible. It's easy to say that it's better to drive and much better value than something like a lower-spec BMW 3 Series. Figured I'd get some big truths out of the way up front.

And that's despite the talk of the latest G20-generation 3 Series being a return to the form for the segment-leading driver's sedan. BMW may be trying to get its mojo back, but key parts of the K5 from the engine to the transmission are just stronger. The eight-speed dual-clutch upshifts hard in Sport+ mode, downshifts smoothly in any mode—there's also Sport and Normal—and is always civilized, always responsive, always does what you want it to do. The 2.5-liter turbocharged engine has tremendous torque—311 lb-ft, nearly off idle. It's smooth, sounds good, and you'll notice its 290 horsepower is very near 300. It feels like that much.

But the best part of all is that the K5 GT isn't trying to be something for everybody. The steering is communicative and quick, and the chassis feels tuned for people who specifically want to drive. It's firm and confident, and one of the key parts that make this car what it is: an excellent sports sedan.

If it was between buying this or a 3 Series for the same money, the choice would still be pretty easy, but obviously these two cars aren't sold for the same money. You can get equipment on the Kia you simply can't get on the cheapest 3er—ventilated seats being the prime example—for $6,000 less. In fact, there's really only one package to be had; the GT1 package. It increases the K5 price to right around $35,000 and includes Kia's excellent "Highway Driving Assist" with lane keep and radar cruise control, a heated steering wheel, ventilated seats, and more. Unless you really want something like a cargo net, which you might actually want to spring for because this car's trunk is massive, the GT1 package is really all you need.

Other interior equipment that comes with the GT1 package includes a Bose sound system—that pipes in engine noise at the same volume no-matter-what mode you're in—a reactive and lag-free 10.25-inch touchscreen, satellite radio, and a power front passenger seat with adjustable lumbar, just like the driver's. Just getting the GT trim of this car also nets you fake leather seats, a GT-exclusive flat-bottom steering wheel with very reactive paddle shifters, heated seats, and a wireless phone charging slot. Your rear passengers will also get an HVAC vent.

Are there bad parts? Yeah, sure. It's nothing you're not going to get used to, though. Easily the worst thing about this car—just to show you how nit-picky one really has to be—is the shifter. It looks bad. It also feels bad. If I was in charge of facelifting this car I'd throw it in the neighbor's pool. Complaints could also be leveled that the seats, not because they're necessarily extremely uncomfortable, but they aren't living up to this car's other excellent parts. They feel a little flat despite being heated and ventilated, and this car really deserves more. Recaros are in order here.

The menu for switching media inputs is also quite hidden, and if you have no media device selected, it defaults to "Sounds of Nature." It's sort of a funny thing the first time, but after a while hearing a "Lively Cafe" or "Snowy Village" every time your phone fails to connect to Bluetooth gets a little old. Besides that, everything in the interior feels great. Nothing you can see or touch looks cheap, rough, hollow, or unpleasant. Besides that shifter, of course.

Also, if we're gonna talk about things you can see and touch, the outside of this car looks great. The rear end isn't quite as wide as it tries to look—there's still some economy car going on there—but the styling is aggressive, distinctive, and consistent throughout the entire exterior. I know that people are gonna have different opinions, but from where I'm standing, it's just right.

I've spoken to the drivetrain and chassis a little bit, but how it all translates on the road is where Kia's vision for a 3 Series fighter comes into focus. First of all, the suspension is approaching the stiffness of cars like my E46 M3; I understand that sounds like a stretch, but that truth was right there before me. It's a welcome change from other cars that try to be right on the edge of stiff, but compromise in the end to maintain a level of comfort. The 19-inch wheels probably contributed to the harder ride too.

As a result of this tautness, cornering is flat, changes of direction are quick and drama-free, and the steering—2.44 turns lock-to-lock instead of 2.60 on a regular K5—points the car's nose where you want with surprising precision. And as I mentioned it also has a fair amount of feel, meaning you won't lose track of the front end mid-corner due to sheer numbness. It's that directness (and FWD setup) that makes it easier to actually wring the most out of the car's powertrain in more situations, even on slippery dirt roads.

Speaking of that, to the rear-wheel-drive zealots: know that about 95 percent of the time, you don't realize this car is front-wheel drive because it has practically no torque steer, plenty of dry traction and a lovely sharpness to its movements. The onset of understeer is both predictable and avoidable, and it'd be even more limited on real summer tires in warm weather.

The brakes are also larger than stock, with 1.6-inch larger rotors in the front and rear—13.6-inches and 12.8-inches, respectively—leading to excellent, predictable stopping with good feel through the pedal. They're one of the various upgraded parts of the car that could easily be forgotten about due to the GT's status as just another trim level of a K5, but plenty of other small performance changes have also been made like wider wheels and tires, and a slightly higher cooling capacity.

Combine this low-slung, agile-handling chassis with an engine that yanks you out of a corner exit and a transmission that slams shifts when you demand it, and this Kia always feels ready for a fight. I haven't driven this and a 3 Series back-to-back, but Editor-In-Chief Kyle Cheromcha has, and he says the Kia's neutral handling and impressive stability are a night and day difference compared to the more skittish BMW.

The only thing really missing here is a limited-slip differential, and while the K5 GT does transfer torque around with help from the ABS system—as many other cars do—this Kia is worthy of the real deal, and it should at least be an option when the facelift comes around.

That missing LSD belies the reality that this isn't one of those competition-tuned cars that's supposed to pull double duty as a commuter and a hot lapper—you'll have to check out Hyundai's N performance cars for that. Kia's GT label is akin to Hyundai's N-Line designation, for peppy daily drivers with mechanical flair like a DCT, not hunkered-down track animals like the Hyundai Veloster N. You'd cook the K5 GT's brakes in short order on a road course. But that's not the point of the car.

A lot of cars sold today are trying to please everybody. This Kia definitely isn't. It's trying to please people who drive for the sake of driving, but at the same time because of the great driver assist technology and the really fantastic 8-speed dual-clutch transmission (I know I keep talking about it, but it really is something), it's perfectly fit for every day. At this point, you can probably tell that during my time with the 2021 Kia K5 GT, I had no problem living with it. I would have kept it for longer if I could. Compared to other similar sport sedans being sold for a lot more money, this car is more fun, it's more powerful, and if you really want, you can get it for $31,455.

Brand image is an incredibly stubborn thing, and to some the $10,000+ premium is worth stepping up to even the cheapest 3 Series instead of this car. I get that. But I also can't get around the fact that BMW is charging that much more for a car that is objectively—as we know—and subjectively worse than the Kia. Of course a new M3 would blow this out of the water, and even an M340i. But those are different beasts in a different price range. And really, isn't the fact that we're having this conversation at all extremely telling?

While I might be angering people, you could consider it a slightly pricier alternative to something like a GTI or even a base WRX, which is a full three tenths of a second slower to 60 mph despite being all-wheel drive. Buy a Civic Si if you want a manual transmission—which this car really doesn't need—but absent that, it's hard to argue against what Kia's done here.

Except, now I'm thinking about an AWD K5 GT, which is not entirely out of the question. Kia already makes an AWD version of the K5. This powertrain hitting all four wheels on a snowy road? I hope it's in the cards.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:17 AM

Having seen a few higher trim K5 & Sonatas on the roads around here: K5 > Sonata for looks, by a long shot. But, It's been that way for a while, IMO.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:37 PM
Team Owner

yah Optima has always been the better looking of the 2... same for Telluride.... sometimes it makes you wonder who is the more loved Child between the 2 ...
Old 06-03-2021, 07:14 AM

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...awd-price-cut/

The Kia K5 sedan enters its second model year after ditching the long-running Optima name, and with it comes more equipment and a couple of price cuts. The latter should certainly please shoppers kicking the tires on an all-wheel drive version of the K5. The brand on Wednesday revealed the K5's updates for 2022, and there are two distinct price reductions for K5's sporting AWD.

The biggest cut comes for the K5 GT Line AWD. The 2021 model currently costs $30,185 after a $995 destination charge. For 2022, the car is $1,500 cheaper at $28,685. The other AWD-equipped K5, the LXS trim, costs $200 less than last year at $27,485. Those are the nuggets of good news on the pricing side of things. On the other hand, the sedan's base LX trim rings in $100 more expensive; ditto for the LXS trim rocking front-wheel drive.

Another minor price bump: the GT Line FWD rises to $27,085, up $600 from last year. The more premium-feeling EX trim is up by $500 to $29,585 and the sportiest of them all -- the K5 GT -- also costs $500 more, with a new price of $32,085.

As for the new equipment, GT Line AWD buyers can add a Premium package to toss in a panoramic sunroof, heated steering wheel, LED projection headlights and tech such as the brand's Highway Driving Assistant. Without ticking another option box, Kia also tosses in a surround view monitor, additional wireless phone chargers and standard navigation on the GT Line, EX and GT trims.

The most notable components that make up the K5 don't change one bit for 2022, however. All cars run a 1.6-liter turbo-four engine mated to an eight-speed automatic, good for 180 horsepower and 195 pound-feet of torque. The K5 GT remains special with its 290-hp 2.5-liter turbo-four.

Look for the updated cars at dealers soon, and when you find one, you'll know it's a 2022 model because the K5 now wears the brand's updated logo script inside and out. So long, oval badge.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:04 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,194 Likes on 3,975 Posts
Still no AWD, nor any mention of an LSD for the GT?
Old 08-16-2022, 09:26 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
Rumored to be dropped from the U.S. lineup alongside the Stinger, the K5 enters 2023 with fewer trim levels. Kia has discontinued the LX trim level in favor of the LXS, which brings up the starting price to $25,090.
9 photos

The South Korean automaker has also dropped all-wheel drive from the LXS, relegating it to the GT-Line ($26,490) as an optional extra ($28,190). The remainder of the lineup consists of the EX ($28,990) and GT ($31,490). Prices exclude the manufacturer’s $1,095 destination and freight charge.

New for 2023, the well-equipped Kia GT-Line is now available with a panoramic roof package that further sweetens the deal with LED interior lighting. This option also includes a plethora of gloss black along the B pillars, windshield, and shark fin-style antenna for a sportier appearance.

A heated steering wheel is now standard on the GT-Line AWD. Last, but certainly not least, acoustic glass for the front side windows now comes standard on both GT-Line trim levels, the EX, and the range-topping GT.

When it comes to mechanical bits and bobs, the K5 is rocking a 1.6-liter turbocharged gasoline direct-injected engine with 180 horsepower and 195 pound-feet (264 Nm) on deck. The four-cylinder lump is connected exclusively to an eight-speed automatic transmission, and the best fuel economy for this combo is 31 mpg (7.6 l/100 km) on the combined cycle.

Further up the spectrum, the South Korean automaker flaunts a 2.5-liter turbocharged gasoline direct-injected engine connected to a dual-clutch tranny. Rated at 290 horsepower and 311 pound-feet (422 Nm), this mill is exclusive to the GT and promises up to 27 mpg (8.7 l/100 km) combined.

193.1 inches long and gifted with a 112.2-inch wheelbase, the mid-size sedan boasts a lot of safety features as standard. Highlights include the likes of Driver Attention Warning, Blind Spot Collision Avoidance Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Collision Avoidance Assist, Forward Collision Avoidance Assist with Lane Following Assist, as well as Lane Keeping Assist.
2023 Kia K5 Drops LX Trim Level, LXS Opens the List at $25,090 - autoevolution
Old 06-12-2023, 11:30 AM
Race Director

The K5 was introduced stateside for the 2021 model year as the replacement for the long-running Optima. Joined at the hip to the Hyundai Sonata, the mid-size sedan entered 2024 with one small change to its name. Pricing has also been revised, with Kia now asking $300 more for the entry-level LXS grade.

Regarding the aforementioned change, prospective customers of the GT-Line FWD will be happy to find out that heated front seats are now standard. This grade carries a manufacturer suggested retail price of $26,890 for 2024, which is $400 more than the 2023 model. The EX slots between the LXS and GT-Line FWD with a starting price of $29,290 sans destination.

The GT-Line can be had with all-wheel drive, the only K5 available with all-wheel drive, for an extra $1,600. Finally, the lineup is completed by the GT. What sets the range-topping version apart from the rest is the 2.5T GDI engine and dual-clutch transmission. By comparison, GT-Line AWD and lesser versions come with the 1.6T GDI and an automatic tranny.

Recalled in October 2022 due to a quality deviation affecting the dual-clutch transmission, the K5 GT puts out 290 horsepower and 311 pound-feet (422 Nm) of torque. As for the 1.6-liter engine, peak figures are listed as 180 horsepower and 195 pound-feet (264 Nm) for the United States market. Rather surprisingly, Kia North America recommends regular unleaded fuel (87-octane gasoline) for the 2.5T GDI in the K5 GT.

Fuel economy favors the 1.6T GDI, with the South Korean automaker promising up to 31 miles to the gallon (around 7.6 liters per 100 kilometers) on the EPA's combined test cycle. The GT-Line AWD is much obliged to return 28 miles per gallon (8.4 liters per 100 kilometers), and the GT is listed with 27 miles per gallon (circa 8.7 liters per 100 kilometers).

The largest FWD-biased sedan that Kia sells in this day and age, the K5 comes standard with 16-inch alloys, LED headlights, a 60/40 rear seat with a center armrest, and Bluetooth with Multi-Device Connectivity. The GT-Line improves on the LXS with 18s, dual-zone climate control, LED fog lamps, and an exterior styling kit. The EX improves the breed with a panoramic sunroof and a power sunshade. As for the GT, make that 19-inch alloys, larger brake rotors, a sport-tuned suspension, plus a quad-tipped exhaust system.

We all know the RWD-biased Stinger is going the way of the dodo for two reasons: poor sales and Kia's ongoing transition to all-electric vehicles. The K5 and technically similar Hyundai Sonata are believed to be dropped from the US lineup as well, with hearsay suggesting 2026 and 2025 as their final years. Whatever the future may hold, there's no denying that sedans are falling out of favor with Hyundai-Kia customers.

Hyundai delivered 55,131 units of the Sonata in 2022 stateside, down 41 percent from the 93,142 sales of the preceding calendar year. The situation isn't rosy at Kia either, with the K5 dropping from 92,342 units in 2021 to 66,298 in 2022.
2024 Kia K5 Revealed With One Small Change Over 2023 Model, Costs $300 More Than Before - autoevolution
Old 10-27-2023, 06:02 AM
Race Director

After almost four years on the market, the fifth-generation former Optima/current K5 has finally been updated. The model received design cues that bring it a little closer to what the electric lineup from Kia comes with, but nothing extreme. The Optima replacement received new headlights and taillight that expand toward the fenders, highlighting the robust proportions of the sedan.

There are new wheels ranging from 16 to 19 inches, while customers can also choose one of the new body paint options, Wolf Gray and Moonscape Matte Grey.

A panoramic curved display showed up on board the facelifted Kia K5. It integrates the 12.3-inch instrument cluster and the touchscreen of the same size. There is also a new color head-up display.

The infotainment system received a new menu and is compatible with over-the-air updates, remote control authentication system, and music streaming services. The K5 received a 12-speaker premium sound system from Krell.

A wireless charging pad and newly designed controls for the air conditioning found room in the center console. Kia came up with a smaller rotary gear shifter.

Customers have three more color options to choose from for the upholstery: Sand, Martian Brown, and Black. Meanwhile, the Black Fit optional package brings 19-inch wheels, a dark finish for the mirror caps, rear diffuser, and tailpipes, but also a black suede headliner on board.

The K5 got a revised suspension setup for better ride comfort and improved sound insulation.

The engine lineup for the Korean market starts with a 2.0-liter LPi (Liquid Propane Injection) with 144 horsepower (146 PS), followed by the naturally aspirated 2.0-liter MPi engine with 158 horsepower (160 PS).

Upper in the range, there is the turbocharged 1.6-liter T-GDi with 178 horsepower (180 PS). The range-topping variant is the one powered by a hybrid system, which integrates a 2.0-liter engine and an electric motor for a total of 192 horsepower (195 PS).

Customers can already preorder the car in Korea. Prices start at KRW 27.84 million, the equivalent of $20,520.

In an auto industry where crossovers, SUVs, and trucks make the rules, Kia is stubborn with the K5 sedan, despite plunging sales figures. The Korean carmaker only delivered 66,298 units in 2022, which is down 28 percent from 2021. The fate of the K5 is doomed. The company is reportedly killing the model at the end of the fifth generation, which should be around 2027.
Facelifted Kia K5 Breaks Cover, There's No Radical Change - autoevolution
Old 02-08-2024, 12:00 PM
Race Director

Kia traveled to the 2024 Chicago auto show to unveil the updated 2025 K5. The brand's entry into the midsize sedan segment gets minor design tweaks, a new naturally-aspirated engine that delivers more horsepower, and a longer list of standard and optional driving aids.

If the updated design rings a bell, it's likely because we've already seen the South Korean-market version of the 2025 K5. The changes made to the car across the Pacific apply here as well, and they include lightning bolt-shaped daytime running lights called Star Map in Kia-speak, a redesigned lower bumper, and a thinner grille. Kia notes that the GT trim (pictured above) further stands out with fin-shaped inserts in the air dam. There are more updates out back: the light bar that runs across the hatch remains, but it now stretches down into the bumper.

Every trim level comes standard with a new 12.3-inch touchscreen for the infotainment system, and some variants get a curved, single-pane display that combines the touchscreen and a 12-inch digital instrument cluster into one unit. The K5 can now receive over-the-air updates, and it offers wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto across the range. Kia also redesigned the center console and the center stack.

"The newer the car, the smaller the engine" rule doesn't apply here. Kia replaced the 2024 K5's turbocharged, 1.6-liter four-cylinder with a turbocharged 2.5-liter four. It's rated at 191 horsepower and 181 pound-feet of torque, versus 180 and 185, respectively, for the turbo-four it replaces. Front-wheel-drive and an eight-speed automatic transmission come standard, and all-wheel-drive is optional on the GT-Line trim.

Positioned at the top of the range, the performance-oriented K5 GT carries on with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that's turbocharged to 290 horsepower and 311 pound-feet of torque. It's bolted to an eight-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission that spins the front wheels.

The base LXS trim gains more standard features, such as front and rear parking sensors and adaptive cruise control with a forward collision-avoidance assist function that includes junction turning and cyclist detection. Up next is the GT, which gets a Bose sound system, a 10-way power-adjustable driver's seat, a digital key, a heated steering wheel, and power-folding door mirrors. Navigation-based Smart Cruise Control, Highway Driving Assist technology, a Surround-View Monitor, and Parking Collision Avoidance Assist – Reverse are standard as well. Kia bundles a panoramic sunroof, LED interior lighting, and a 12-speaker Bose sound system into a Premium Package for the GT-Line.

Pricing and launch details will be released closer to the 2025 K5's on-sale date, which hasn't been announced yet.
2025 Kia K5 gets new look, more power, and better tech in Chicago - Autoblog
Old 02-08-2024, 12:40 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Can't believe they made the amber DRLs bigger and are now marketing it as Star Map... just doesn't scream luxurious, sorry. They can keep the 2005 GM amber DRL look.

The rear looks nice, but the light bar stretching down to the bumper is pretty much a copy of the shape from the Camry. Be more original.

But hey, a 2.5L 4cyl turbo at 290/311 is nice, especially with a DCT. Is it any good? There's also a lot of tech and nice features. Kia has done well with that.

Old 02-08-2024, 12:54 PM

I don't mind the DRLs, its different than every other white DRL on the market, and doesn't look bad to me.
The rear I'm 50/50 on.
Also a bit surprised they're still using a tall stalk shifter like that. Would expect something a bit nicer on the higher trim, like the Stinger had, or a knob/button arrangement.

Stinger GT Shifter, just gives a more higher end look to it.:

Old 02-09-2024, 12:11 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

I thought the same about the shifter. Seems very outdated now with that design.

I think amber DRLs do not look good with HID/LED headlights. Look at the TLX/MDX from a few years ago. They have the beautiful jewel eye LED headlights and then an ugly amber DRL on top of it. Looks way out of place and makes it look less luxurious in my opinion.