J.D. Power: Customer Retention Study news

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
J.D. Power: Customer Retention Study news

Lexus Ranks Highest in Customer Retention - - Source; http://www.jdpower.com

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.: 8 December 2005 — Lexus leads the industry in retaining the highest percentage of new-vehicle owners, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2005 Customer Retention StudySM released today.

The study, now in its third year, measures the percentage of new-vehicle buyers and lessees who replace a vehicle that was previously purchased new with a new vehicle from the same nameplate. With a 3.5 percentage-point increase from 2004, Lexus ranks highest, retaining 63.0 percent of its customers. The industry average is 49.6 percent.

Lexus is followed in the rankings by Toyota (62.6%), Honda (59.9%), Chevrolet (57.3%) and Hyundai (56.3%), respectively.

"By satisfying its customers on many different levels, Lexus consistently enjoys high retention rates," said Neal Oddes, director of product research at J.D. Power and Associates. "Customer retention is extremely valuable in the auto industry because it costs manufacturers less to keep existing customers than to attract new ones, and strong retention fosters favorable word of mouth."

Although Suzuki retains just 28.6 percent of its customers, the brand records the greatest improvement, increasing its retention rate by 38 percent from 2003, which was the inaugural year of the study. Acura is also enjoying strong increases in retention rates, improving 25 percent from 2003 to retain 45.7 percent of its customer base in 2005.

"Suzuki has made tremendous strides in better retaining its customers, due partly to the fact that it has expanded its lineup to include more segments of the market, which offers buyers a wider variety of models in different segments as their needs and wants change over time," said Oddes. "Suzuki has also been focusing heavily on quality, improving its performance in the J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality StudySM by 35 percent over the past five years."

The study finds that quality and customer service experiences play key roles in influencing customer retention. About 23 percent of respondents did not buy a vehicle from the same brand because they felt that too many things went wrong with their previous vehicle. In fact, the nameplates with the fewest customers leaving for this reason also performed relatively well in the J.D. Power and Associates 2005 Vehicle Dependability Study,SM which measures problems experienced during the first three years of ownership.

Experiences with the dealer service and sales departments also have an important impact on whether customers return to the brand when they are in the market to buy a replacement vehicle. Nameplates performing well in the firm’s 2005 Customer Service Index (CSI) Study, which measures satisfaction with the service department, and the 2005 Sales Satisfaction Index (SSI) Study, which measures satisfaction during the new-vehicle sales process, tend to have relatively few customers who cite poor service as a reason for defecting to another brand.

"Although acquiring new customers is an integral part of any OEM’s strategic plan, strong nameplate retention is essential to grow and expand its customer base over time," said Oddes. "Manufacturers cannot underestimate the power of excellent service and short- and long-term quality in convincing their customers to come back to the brand time and again."

The 2005 Customer Retention Study is based on responses from 177,941 new-vehicle buyers and lessees, of which 106,275 replaced a previous vehicle that was originally acquired new.

http://www.jdpower.com/presspass/pr/images/2005249a.gif
Old 01-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Moderator Alumnus

What can one say about Lexus. I mean they nail every single important study by JD Power!

Surpirsed by Chevrolet in 4th place.

Another sign that Hyundai is for real!

Ford is kind of a surprise but when you see how many people buy and rebuy their trucks and how many of them they sell, it makes sense.

Once again, Subaru proves that they have a very dedicated set of followers.

I think the main reason that Acura is this low is because of their lack of product lineup especially on the truck/SUV department. I mean, I am sure a lot of them leave to other luxury makers because of lack of product.

Same applies to Porsche and that was the main reason they built the Cayenne.

Audi is a big disappointment but again, they dont have ANY SUVs (this will change with the Q lineup however).

Jaguar, same thing.

Volvo is a pretty big surprise to me. I was expecting to see buyers be more loyal to Volvo. Again, they lack a large lineup of SUVs but still...

Lincoln is a huge disappointment.

Saab is probably going to to better during the next 3-5 years now that they have something to sell.

Pontiac is a big surprise to me. I was expecting them to be below the industry average but not that low on the list.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
I wonder if cars like the 3 will improve Mazda loyalty?
Old 01-22-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 747 Likes on 449 Posts
I'm not surprised by the high marks from domestic cars. I think it's in large part due to the fact that their customers can't afford or don't want to pay a lot of money for imports when they can get huge discounts for their domestics, so they just keep coming back to the same cheap stuff every few years.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:57 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, I wonder why Infiniti so far down the list?
Old 01-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Another JD Power survey with Lexus and Toyota on top....

Wow!! Nissan beat Acura.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
Perhaps because there's still a heavy mix of old-gen Infiniti owners in there replacing I30/I35s (Maximas) and G20s (Primeras) which were all pre-Ghosn era Nissan renaissance products. Could also be due to lack or product as was mentioned earlier. They have a lot of new product out (M35/M45, FX, QX, etc) that wasn't there just a few years ago.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
I'm not surprised by the high marks from domestic cars. I think it's in large part due to the fact that their customers can't afford or don't want to pay a lot of money for imports when they can get huge discounts for their domestics, so they just keep coming back to the same cheap stuff every few years.
Chevy owners have always loved their Chevys for their own reasons, just as
Ford owners have always loved their Fords for their own reasons, just as
Honda owners have always loved their Hondas for their own reasons, just as
Toyota owners have always loved their Toyotas for their own reasons.

And a lot of that is subjective and/or emotional appeal, including for Hondas/Acuras.

You're right though, some people just don't care to spend very much on cars at all, and because of that do not buy anything from the pricier brands. A lot of people on these enthusiast forums seem to be the exact opposite though in that they tend to spend as much as they can possibly afford on cars and assume everybody else is the same way. Hence the misconception that people only buy Chevy/Fords/domestics because that's all they can afford. That may be true in a lot of cases, but there is also a pretty large group of people out there that just prefer to spend as little money on cars as possible even if they're loaded. My in-laws are exactly this way.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I am surprised Mazda is sooooooo soooooo low on that list. Wow! And Kia beats Acura?! I wonder how these tests are conducted cuz the results make no sense...
Old 01-22-2006, 06:26 PM
Pro

Infiniti only started with a great lineup recently...and most of the current owners are still on their leases or are stilll happy with their current vehicles. Im sure infiniti retention will grow in the upcoming years when current owners decide to upgrade their current cars.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Perhaps because there's still a heavy mix of old-gen Infiniti owners in there replacing I30/I35s (Maximas) and G20s (Primeras) which were all pre-Ghosn era Nissan renaissance products. Could also be due to lack or product as was mentioned earlier. They have a lot of new product out (M35/M45, FX, QX, etc) that wasn't there just a few years ago.

Old 01-22-2006, 07:24 PM
Banned

It's not just how good the cars are, but what model ranges are offered. If Acura drops coupes, then they'll only have sedan and SUV buyers, and coupe buyers will HAVE to go elsewhere. Yes, coupe customers do a lot of cross-shopping [fun with alliteration!] ... but if you don't offer any coupe, then you lose out some possibility of attracting people who want one.
Same thing with SUVs: Audi and VW, until recently, offering nothing in this segment, and their buyers had to go with American or Japanese makes if they needed something bigger.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by M TYPE X
It's not just how good the cars are, but what model ranges are offered. If Acura drops coupes, then they'll only have sedan and SUV buyers, and coupe buyers will HAVE to go elsewhere.
Like Gav said, lack of product on the part of acura will force me to look somewhere else for my next car purchase (and it might not be a coupe).
Old 01-22-2006, 10:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Probably because in order to be successful in this study you have to have customer loyalty for more maybe 8 years or so. You think people will buy an Infiniti, keep it for 4-5 years then buy another. So it takes time and Infiniti just turned around lately.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb Trading Up

Lack of product is probably going to cause me to buy a Lexus next - I do not consider a TL that much of a step up so that only leaves me w/ the RL {not counting MDX bc that is a different animal}. Shame Honda/Acura does not offer all the variety that Toyota/Lexus does.

I ponder how the results would be if they combined brands, like those who go from Honda to Acura, Toyota to Lexus & Nissan to Infiniti ....

Old 01-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Banned

The TSX and TL are fairly close to each other. And if you can afford the TL, you get more power and more room. Both though are so nice, I would consider them versus a coupe.
But not when Infiniti is offering an appealing two-door.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

2006 JD Power Customer Retention Study

Toyota Tops Power Loyalty Rating - - by Jim Burt - - Source: The Car Connection

They say that it's a lot cheaper to keep the customers you have, than it is to grab someone else's. No wonder, then, thatToyota, which makes more profit than any other automaker, tops J.D. Power's Customer Retention Study.

The Japanese automaker's flagship Toyota brand topped its Lexus luxury brand in the annual survey, which measures the percentage of new vehicle buyers and lessees who replace a vehicle with another from the same brand.

Power said overall industry customer retention fell slightly to 47.9 percent, from 49.6 percent in 2005. Among the reasons cited were aggressive incentive marketing by automakers, and more brand-changing based on price.

"Declining customer loyalty results from considerable improvements in quality, combined with a plethora of choices for consumers," said Neal Oddes, director of product research and analysis at J.D. Power.

Toyota scored an impressive 63.9 percent retention rate. Honda retained third place with 60.3 percent retention. GM's Cadillac ranks highest among American brands and sixth overall, with a 55.5 percent retention rate. The automaker's Chevrolet brand ranked seventh, with a 55.3 percent rate. A lot of that is due to high loyalty among Chevy pickup truck buyers.

In yet another bell-toll for the U.S. auto industry, of the twelve brands that ranked above the industry average of 47.9 percent, only three were American, including Ford.

The biggest one-year gain among brands goes to Suzuki, which achieved a 23-percent gain in customer retention. The Japanese automaker has upped its advertising spending and especially its direct marketing to its own customers, as well as expanded its product line.

The survey is based on responses from more than 138,000 new vehicle buyers and lessees, of which 82,274 replaced a vehicle that was previously acquired new.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:23 PM
TSX User

I think Acura was close to last on the list, but higher than Infiniti.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:33 AM
Race Director

I thought Toyota has massive recalls on a lot of their car models this year?
Old 12-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
^ Toyota does ... but look at how many recalls it had in the past 20 years compared to the other car manufacturers. (just a gut feeling)

I thought I would stray from Honda/Acura ... but I bought a 2007 TSX for my GF.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Race Director

Congrads derrick on the TSX purchase.

Only thing is that is the last 4cylinder car I'm buying myself. I wish I had money to trade in my TSX for a G35, but don't.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:31 PM
TSX User

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Congrads derrick on the TSX purchase.

Only thing is that is the last 4cylinder car I'm buying myself. I wish I had money to trade in my TSX for a G35, but don't.
According to this survey, you'll end up selling the G35 for another brand. Next generation TSX, maybe?
Old 12-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
I thought Toyota has massive recalls on a lot of their car models this year?
Ya thats why though. They catch the problem before most people even know. Most of the time you see it was toyotas own testing that finds the problems, If Honda had done it that way, I (and alot of other people) wouldnt' have been stranded on the side of the road waiting for a fu$king tow truck for 2hr, to pick up me and my "no there is'nt an issue with the trany" car!!!!! I would have much rather dropped if off at the dealer, and had them fix it and be at home, instead of being scared to death when my car stopped in the middle of the intersection, and having to push it to the shoulder before i get hit. Ya hondas great!!
Old 12-15-2006, 02:46 AM
sca
Cruisin'

Loyal customers happen for a number of reasons but most times it is the product cycles. A new and improved model will make a customer come back but it must be different enough to make them trade in also products to move up or to a different segment so the brand that has the most vehicles in a line up and replaces it's products on a shorter cycle than it's competiors will have a better chance of keeping them in the fold.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:11 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Alot of companies, even non-atuo companies can learn from Toyota. Toyota should open up its own business school even.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Safety Car

J.D. Power: Honda #1 in Customer Retention

Honda Takes Top Spot from Toyota in Customer Retention Study
J.D. Power and Associates released its U.S. 2008 Customer Retention Study on Wednesday, with Honda knocking of Toyota for the top spot. The survey measures the percentage of customers who replace vehicles with models from the same automaker.

Honda’s 64.7 percent of customers that came back for a second helping just edged out Toyota’s 63.2 percent. Toyota’s Lexus brand finished third in the study, followed by Mercedes-Benz and BMW.

“Honda’s reputation for creating safe vehicles with high resale value has been instrumental in retaining owners,” Debbie Ortuno, product research and analysis manager at J.D. Power, told Automotive News. Honda’s lineup of fuel-efficient vehicles probably didn’t hurt, either.

Only 11 brands ranked above the industry average of 48 percent, with four of those spots going to Japanese automakers. The only domestic brands above the industry average were Ford, Chevrolet and Cadillac.

The study also found that customer retention slipped in 2008 – a sign of increased competition — with the industry average falling from 49 percent.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Great news. This repeat customer business sounds very familar. *raises hand as he looks out at his garage*
Old 12-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
well i'm on my 4th honda product and 3rd in a row...

95 integra--->02 accord--->05 accord---->09 fit

only other two brands id buy again would be bmw and lexus
Old 12-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Wonder where Acura is on that list.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:06 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Good job Honda.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:00 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 842 Likes on 524 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Wonder where Acura is on that list.
Not doing very well, at 37%. That's about the same as Audi and Infiniti. Infiniti improved quite a bit from 2007 though, while Lexus, Audi and Acura dropped quite a bit.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by iforyou
Not doing very well, at 37%. That's about the same as Audi and Infiniti. Infiniti improved quite a bit from 2007 though, while Lexus, Audi and Acura dropped quite a bit.
Lexus still did well though being in 3rd.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:48 AM
Safety Car

Cool Acura 25th

JD Powers Retention Study
Last update: 1:00 p.m. EST Dec. 10, 2008
WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif., Dec 10, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- As New-Vehicle Sales Continue to Fall, Customer Retention Becomes Critically Important

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif., Dec. 10 /PRNewswire/ -- Honda leads the automotive industry in retaining the highest percentage of new-vehicle purchasers, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2008 Customer Retention Study(SM) released today.
Now in its sixth year, the study measures the percentage of new-vehicle buyers and lessees who replace a previously purchased new vehicle with another from the same brand.

Improving by nearly two percentage points from 2007, Honda leads the customer retention rankings (64.7%), followed by Toyota (63.2%) and Lexus (60.4%).

"Honda has historically been a strong performer in terms of customer retention, but 2008 marks the first time since the inception of the study that the brand has achieved the highest retention rate in the industry," said Debbie Ortuno, manager of product research and analysis at J.D. Power and Associates. "This comes at a time when all manufacturers are facing challenges presented by current market conditions, including sales declines and tight credit. In particular, Honda's reputation for creating safe vehicles with high resale value has been instrumental in retaining owners."

Overall customer retention declines slightly to 48 percent in 2008 from 49 percent in 2007. In 2008, 13 of the 36 ranked brands have improved in customer retention rates from 2007, while 18 have declined and five have remained stable. Land Rover posts the greatest improvement in customer retention rates from 2007, improving by 18 percentage points in 2008. This improvement is driven primarily by incentives, attractive sales deals and the look and styling of Land Rover models.

The study finds that, among retained customers, the importance of safety, fuel economy and deals/incentives have increased as reasons for repurchasing, compared with 2007. Among conquest customers -- those owners whose new vehicle replaced a vehicle of a different brand -- fuel economy, ownership/maintenance costs and deals/incentives have the greatest increases in importance since 2007 in their decisions to change brands.

"In 2008, new-vehicle buyers have become increasingly concerned with monetary factors when deciding whether to repurchase a vehicle brand -- a reflection of current economic conditions,"
said Ortuno. "Manufacturers with vehicle lineups that adequately address these concerns will be poised to retain a greater share of customers and to win conquests."

Customer retention will become even more critical to automakers in the coming year, as new light-vehicle sales in 2009 are projected to decline to below 12 million units.

"Educating potential buyers about models that have good fuel economy and low ownership costs will help manufacturers retain their customer base and attract new customers, particularly for those brands that may be curtailing new-model introductions and redesigns, which traditionally generate customer interest," said Ortuno.

The 2008 Customer Retention Study is based on responses from 147,238 new-vehicle buyers and lessees, of which 88,971 replaced a vehicle that was previously acquired new. The study was fielded between November 2007 and May 2008.

2008 Make Retention Rates

Honda 64.7%
Toyota 63.2%
Lexus 60.4%
Mercedes-Benz 58.6%
BMW 58.5%
Ford 52.5%
Chevrolet 52.0%
Nissan 51.3%
Subaru 50.5%
Cadillac 50.4%
Land Rover 49.0%
Industry Average 48.0%
Scion 47.2%
Hyundai 46.7%
HUMMER 43.7%
Jeep 42.8%
Suzuki 40.7%
GMC 40.6%
Lincoln 40.6%
Dodge 39.7%
Volkswagen 39.7%
Porsche 38.2%
Infiniti 37.9%
Audi 37.2%
Saturn 37.1%
Acura 37.0%
Chrysler 32.8%
Kia 32.5%
Volvo 32.5%
Buick 31.3%
Mazda 30.7%
SAAB 30.5%
Mercury 30.2%
MINI 29.3%
Mitsubishi 28.1%
Pontiac 27.2%
Jaguar 26.2%
Base: The percentage of customers who replaced a vehicle previously purchased new and acquired a new vehicle of the same make.

About J.D. Power and Associates
Headquartered in Westlake Village, Calif., J.D. Power and Associates is a global marketing information services company operating in key business sectors including market research, forecasting, performance improvement, training and customer satisfaction. The company's quality and satisfaction measurements are based on responses from millions of consumers annually. For more information on car reviews and ratings, car insurance, health insurance, cell phone ratings, and more, please visit JDPower.com. J.D. Power and Associates is a business unit of The McGraw-Hill Companies.

About The McGraw-Hill Companies
Founded in 1888, The McGraw-Hill Companies (MHP:
The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc

Sponsored by:
MHP 24.75, -0.12, -0.5%) is a leading global information services provider meeting worldwide needs in the financial services, education and business information markets through leading brands such as Standard & Poor's, McGraw-Hill Education, BusinessWeek and J.D. Power and Associates. The Corporation has more than 280 offices in 40 countries. Sales in 2007 were $6.8 billion. Additional information is available at http://www.mcgraw-hill.com.
J.D. Power and Associates Media Relations Contacts:

John Tews; Troy, Mich.; (248) 312-4119; john.tews@jdpa.com
Syvetril Perryman; Westlake Village, Calif.; (805) 418-8103;
syvetril.perryman@jdpa.com

Old 12-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Race Director

not surprised at how Acura is so far down the list. i'm surprised that infiniti, audi, and porsche are also far down the list.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:08 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Way to go M-B!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator

We all complain that american cars are crappy yet they sell a TON and it seems people keep buying them over and over. Sure their sales are down but Ford still sold 103,055 in November. Thats nuts!

I really dont think the issue is with their cars but more their management with money. Guess im tired of people blaming it on their products.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Not just a smell

Detroit 3's cars in general are truly turds fermenting in a septic tank. Patriotism runs strong in America and a lot of Americans only buy American cars.

To get a clearer picture, we need retention/sales values from other countries that import D3 cars (i.e. actually made in the US/Canada). I think those will show wretched numbers.

Acura's numbers aren't surprising since it is entry level into luxury brands. Most people who can afford new Acura's will eventually make more money and move up the ladder. That's why Acura/Infiniti need to go Tier 1: so customers entering the brand can stay within.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:30 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Guess im tired of people blaming it on their products.
Today or the last few years maybe. But you can't blame people for putting some of the blame on the product in years past. Example, was it money management or poor product that turned the Taurus from the best selling car in the US to what it is today?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Right but thats not because of poor quality which is what i was trying to say. It was poor design with an underpowered engine compared to the Japanese offerings that gave it poor sales.

Crappy product yes but wouldnt say it was poor quality. If that even makes sense.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:58 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

I guess if it has a poor design and subpar engine then it CAN be labeled as crappy.
LOL. Part of the problem was the Product. And still is. Show me a competitive small car from the Big 3?

Quick Reply: J.D. Power: Customer Retention Study news