AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Infiniti: Development and Technology News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/infiniti-development-technology-news-380710/)

YEH 01-20-2011 03:07 PM

Infiniti should should "kill 2 birds w/ one stone" and just combine the supercar and flagship sedan into one offering, a 4-door coupe sports car.

Hapa DC5 01-20-2011 04:41 PM

Like a Maxima.... but larger, more power, RWD, more Luxurious, and more unique styling.

smarty666 01-20-2011 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5 (Post 12646783)
Like a Maxima.... but larger, more power, RWD, more Luxurious, and more unique styling.

or just take the essence concept design and transform that into a sedan form! That would be a nice flagship and it would have stand out WOW styling!

Hapa DC5 01-20-2011 05:16 PM

Shoot I hope they built that thing for more then just a tech demo or exercise..

smarty666 01-20-2011 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5 (Post 12646863)
Shoot I hope they built that thing for more then just a tech demo or exercise..

I hope so too! That thing was damn hot when I saw it at the NY Auto Show :drool:

majin ssj eric 01-20-2011 11:08 PM

^^^Just leave behind the dopey hybrid powertrain...

smarty666 01-21-2011 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric (Post 12647768)
^^^just leave behind the dopey hybrid powertrain...

+1

smarty666 01-21-2011 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by TSX69 (Post 12042816)

Hot on the heels of the recent revelation that Infiniti is working on a duo of new G-based vehicles slated to debut at this year's Pebble Beach extravaganza, we've come across a trademark filing by Nissan North America for "IPL." What's IPL you ask? Infiniti Performance Line, a new catalog of in-house developed upgrades which – according to the filing – will include everything from air filters to cat-back exhaust systems, and – more intriguingly – "automotive engine parts, namely turbochargers and superchargers."

The approach is likely to be similar to how NISMO develops and markets parts for Nissan or, more accurately, Lexus' launch of its F-Sport performance line.

This new line of performance parts will likely be unveiled this August in Pebble Beach and be fitted to the G37 coupe. How extensive the modifications are remains to be seen, but as previously reported, one of the models set to debut will be "performance oriented," and if forced induction is part of the package, we're anxiously awaiting our rendezvous with the modded coupe this summer.

I think right now that Infiniti needs to not focus on the flagship and supercar front for the time being. They just don't have the brand recognition yet and while sales of the new M have improved, they are no where near 5 or E territory so not sure how much sales a flagship would do at this point. If I was them, I would focus on the IPL line across the line-up and focus on the entry-level segment. The G25 is okay but they could do better, especially on the fuel economy front in that part of their line-up. If BMW is talking about FWD and fuel efficient turbo 4cyls then Infiniti needs to start thinking along the same line since BMW is their main competitor. If BMW is willing to go that route then Infiniti should as well.

If I was Infiniti, before introducing a new flagship and supercar, I would focus on refining and improving upon the current line-up (especially the FX and EX who's sales have never been that that great) and introduce one or two new entry-level models with great mpg but keeps sport handling and performance. This way they build up their customer base more on the lower end, which they really still need to do, and then, once they do that, in a few years, they can worry about the flagship and supercar down the line.

Just my :2cents:

What do you all think Infiniti needs to do????

biker 01-21-2011 01:17 PM

^ they will be forced to do that - they don't have a single vehicle that gets 30MPG. The EPA mileage rules of 2016 are not that far off.

phee 01-21-2011 01:17 PM

i think they need a flagship. what you mentioned in the acura route without implementation

knight rider 01-21-2011 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by biker (Post 12649206)
^ they will be forced to do that - they don't have a single vehicle that gets 30MPG. The EPA mileage rules of 2016 are not that far off.

That's a good point. The same reason Aston Martin is rebadging FourTwos. My G get's 19mpg on a good day.

smarty666 01-21-2011 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by biker (Post 12649206)

I agree but just keep in mind that they have Nissan and I believe that Nissan and Infiniti are taken together at a whole for those EPA requirements so Nissan is taking up the bulk of the mpg stuff with their CVT.

I'm not saying Infiniti should not offer more fuel efficient products, while keeping their sport focus, but they have Nissan to help with the CAFE requirements is all I'm saying, where as BMW doesn't have that luxury of a more fuel efficient mainstream parent company.

DrewSRX 02-04-2011 08:22 PM

New Small Infiniti to get Mercedes 1.8-liter Turbo Read more: http://www.motortrend.

This rendering looks like a cartoon car, but it has potential I think.

https://image.motortrend.com/f/35863...e-quarters.jpg

New Small Infiniti to get Mercedes 1.8-liter Turbo
Move is One of Several Planned for New Alliance
February 03, 2011 / By Peter Lyon

When reports surfaced last April that the Renault-Nissan (R-N) would share technologies with Mercedes-Benz, the news was a bit surprising, especially considering that Daimler, the German giant behind Benz, has a checkered past in international alliances. (Namely its failed relationships with Mitsubishi and Chrysler.)

But this time it's going to be different, we're told, because bosses from the tri-nation partnership spent "a significant amount of time" working out details of exactly how each will benefit from the technology exchange, according to an insider.

Apart from rumors of a future Infiniti model employing a next-generation S-Class platform and a Nissan V-6/hybrid combination, some of the most exciting news focuses on a small Infiniti incorporating a Mercedes engine. Slated to debut at the Geneva Motor Show in March, the new Infiniti coupe will employ a next-generation B-C-sized platform co-developed by Renault and Nissan that is also destined to form the basis of the next Nissan Tiida and Renault Megane. Taking on almost identical dimensions to that of the Mercedes CLC, the new luxury two-door will be powered by a Mercedes 1.8 liter, four-cylinder CGI turbo that generates 202 hp and emits 171g/km of CO2. This will be Infiniti's smallest luxury car to date.

In addition to the moves outlined above, Mercedes wants access to R-N's electric vehicle know-how as well as its extensive global infrastructure investment. Another facet of the R-N portfolio that Mercedes plans to tap into is the alliance's low-cost, high-quality small-car lineup -- including its 1.2-to-1.6-liter 3- and 4-cylinder gas engines, a segment that the German manufacturer believes will expand in the near future.

Meanwhile, R-N wants to get its hands on Mercedes' high-quality, fuel-efficient 4- and 6-cylinder engines, most notably the powerplants that include the 1.8-liter CGI turbo, and the 3.0- and 3.5-liter V-6 units. R-N also wants to source Bluetec V-6 diesel engines to power its luxury Infiniti lineup, creating a double-pronged gas-hybrid and diesel lineup for Europe. R-N believes that only by employing the cleaner Mercedes engines can it meet the 120g/km CO2 emissions regulations coming into force in 2015.

smarty666 02-04-2011 08:28 PM

^ Overall I really like the design and think it has great potential as well but they need to do something with that cartoonish grill in the front. That is the thing that hurts my eyes. I hope they learn from Acura's mistake on what not to do with the grill!

is300eater 02-04-2011 08:42 PM

I bit too much on that mouth.

biker 02-05-2011 01:57 AM

R-N also wants to source Bluetec V-6 diesel engines to power its luxury Infiniti lineup, creating a double-pronged gas-hybrid and diesel lineup for Europe. R-N believes that only by employing the cleaner Mercedes engines can it meet the 120g/km CO2 emissions regulations coming into force in 2015.
They'll need this in the US as well to meet the 2016 EPA mileage rules.

I just hope they find a way to put some of these cars on a diet - more efficient engines alone won't solve the mileage issues at Infiniti.

JAB00 02-05-2011 10:52 AM

Infiniti has been hit with the ugly stick. The G is the only decent looking car. The new M is odd looking. Their large SUV is atrocious looking. Their cross-over SUVs are weird looking. They may suffer the same fate as this current generation Acura line-up. Japanese car makers tend to make drastic changes between generations while the Germans have learned the subtlety of evolving a look from generation to generation.

knight rider 02-05-2011 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by JAB00 (Post 12686503)
Infiniti has been hit with the ugly stick. The G is the only decent looking car. The new M is odd looking. Their large SUV is atrocious looking. Their cross-over SUVs are weird looking. They may suffer the same fate as this current generation Acura line-up. Japanese car makers tend to make drastic changes between generations while the Germans have learned the subtlety of evolving a look from generation to generation.

Infiniti did do a horrible redesign job on the QX. It is hideous. Not that I ever liked the QX anyway. And why oh why did they add insult to injury by putting those stupid "port holes" on the quarter panels? The EX is ugly too. As far as the FX goes I think (just like the previous gen) the new FX will grow on me, as it is not ugly, just odd as it has always been. I disagree with you that the M is odd looking. I think it looks nice, especially the S model. I just think that the previous gen M is such a beautiful design that we hate for Infiniti to change it so drastically.

I do agree with you that the Japanese should take a page out of the German design book; slow but steady. I think some of the rapid and quantum design changes in the likes of Acura and Infiniti come from them still trying to find their identity, wheras BMW and Mercedes already have an identity. It looks like Infiniti is finding their identity in their grill design and swooping panels. I thing grill design and cohesion across the line up is extremely important for identity. Unfortunately Acura will have to redesign their grill to change their current identity, which will put them back to trying to find their identity again.

kr

DrewSRX 02-07-2011 07:28 PM

Looks like it will be competing with the 1-Series and A3.

I guess we will find out in March.

Infiniti Teases Small Entry-Level “Etheria” Coupe Ahead of Geneva
Rory Jurnecka
February 7 2011 11:00 AM

https://wot.motortrend.com/files/201...ck-623x389.jpg

Infiniti is an automaker headed in several directions at once. With a new IPL performance division on one side and the launch of the brand’s first hybrid vehicle, the 2012 M35 Hybrid, on the other, Infiniti appears to be straying from its comfort zone and attempting to cover all its bases. Now, confirming our earlier report, we have official word that the brand will debut a small concept car at the Geneva Motor Show that could slot beneath the current entry-level G series, should it make production.

Official details are slim. In fact, Infiniti doesn’t even specifically give the car a name. However, the images were named “Etheria,” leading us to believe that is what the concept version could be called. A press release simply gives the teaser images found here, along with a quote from Infiniti senior vice president Andy Palmer.

“Infiniti is currently examining concepts for a luxury performance car that will fit below the current G line,” said Palmer in the release. “Like every Infiniti, it will be completely different to anything currently offered by our rivals.”

Fortunately, we got the scoop early from a source familiar with the project, claiming that the concept will be Nissan-Renault’s first major project with new partner and Mercedes-Benz parent company, Daimler. The small car will take the form of a two-door coupe and will be a B- to C-segment car based on the same chassis as the next-gen Renault Megane and Nissan Tiida. Power will come from Mercedes’ 202-horsepower, 1.8-liter CGI turbocharged four-cylinder engine. The final result will be the smallest car that Infiniti has yet produced.

For more on Infiniti’s upcoming concept, be sure to stay tuned to our Geneva show coverage this March. Meanwhile, tell us: does a compact coupe make sense for Infiniti?

Moog-Type-S 02-08-2011 12:21 PM

Looks like a hatch....and that might be very cool!

Please no catfish front end :wish:

TSX69 08-29-2011 06:38 PM

Fwd

Infiniti is 1 of the few manufacturers who still maintain the reputation for producing rear-wheel driven automobiles. Now, the Infiniti Division has just said that they’ll be swaying away from a RWD-only lineup.

The last Infiniti to ever use front-wheel drive was the I35 from 2000, which stopped production in 2004 to make way for the G35. But according to Nissan’s vice president of product planning for Nissan North America, we could expect to see a new wave of front-wheel driven Infinitis, starting with the new JX, which comes in April.

“Customers really don’t care that much about the platform beneath their car,”
said Larry Dominque, Nissan North America’s VP of product planning. “They care about the car. There are limitations with rear-wheel drive that we’d like to work around–like packaging. We can create more interior space if we get away from the technical requirements of rear-wheel. We don’t have to have the big rear axle and the big transmission.”

Dominque also added that FWD platforms would help fuel economy.

“There is a performance perception with rear-wheel,”
he continued. “But we’re comfortable that we don’t need rear-wheel to deliver the performance we need. And some of our vehicles, like the G and the M cars, will remain rear-wheel.”

Now, what really grinds my gears about this statement is: how can Dominque possibly say “customers really don’t care about the platform beneath their car” when customers do care about the platform in 1 way or another by caring whether their cars are front-, all-, or rear-wheel driven?

“If you look at where we were several years ago, Infiniti’s design language was a little too similar to Nissan,” said Nissan Motor Company’s global design chief, Shiro Nakamura. “That was bad for a luxury brand, and we needed to move Infiniti far away. We needed rear-wheel drive to help us differentiate between the brands. But I think we’ve been very successful in achieving that,” he added. “Look at all of Infiniti’s vehicles. They look nothing like Nissan’s.”

Considering that Infiniti has more or less been called Japan’s BMW, Infiniti’s offering of rear-wheel driven cars is very important to the brand’s identity because it defines how their cars drive and simply because Infiniti aims directly at BMW as their direct competitor. However, knowing the significant handling differences between front-wheel drive and rear-wheel drive, having a flagship sedan, SUV or crossover with front-wheel drive is not at all performance-oriented, which their direct competitors are. How can Infiniti say that they “don’t need to worry about rear-wheel or front-wheel drive now” when they also want to “focus on styling and performance?”

Where the power goes in a car very much has to do with a car’s performance so Nissan’s statements sound very counterintuitive…even to the point where I get the impression that these t2 o buffoons don’t even know what they’re talking about. Not to mention, Nakamura said that Infiniti moved to rear-wheel drive to better differentiate them from Nissan, who primarily made front-wheel driven cars. And they’ve achieved that and insist Infiniti cars remain different from their lesser counterparts…but for Nakamura to say that they want Infiniti to shift towards front-wheel drive, doesn’t that sound like they’re moving backwards?

Because Nissan cars are front-wheel driven, front-wheel driven Infinitis wouldn’t exactly make them much different because as aforementioned, the handling characteristics between front-wheel drive and rear-wheel are significantly different. And part of the ways that Infiniti has established their differences from their parent company is through the way their cars drive. Sure, it may make sense to the company from a financial standpoint to keep up with the times…but how would Infiniti moving to front-wheel drive maintain the brand’s uniqueness and identity for maintaining rear-wheel driven performance-oriented lineups?

Could these words of future plans for the Infiniti brand mean that they could be writing their own death wish? Let’s hope not. Stay with rear-wheel drive Infiniti!

- By: Chris Chin

biker 08-30-2011 06:53 AM

^ one of the things that is driving this is the new EPA mileage rules - all things being equal mileage is better with a FWD set up. Like evey other maker, platform whoring will just keep going up (Nissan was already good at this). There are only so many RWD platforms from which to whore out models. Some models like the JX just lend themselves to an existing FWD platform. This will probably also be true of any model below the G. Just like some said people just won't buy a 4 cyl in this class, this RWD "requirement" for the segment will also go away.

dom 08-30-2011 10:20 AM

It clearly states the M and G will remain RWD, so not sure what Chris Chin's issue is exactly. There are plenty of FWD success stories at Lexus, Acura and at one time Infiniti. I'd argue having a FWD offering or two is a advantage. As long as its not ALL FWD in this segment.

Moog-Type-S 08-30-2011 04:42 PM

Goofy/odd styling, and now the move to FWD.

Could Infiniti get any better?!?!?!

Hapa DC5 08-30-2011 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by dom (Post 13198303)
It clearly states the M and G will remain RWD, so not sure what Chris Chin's issue is exactly. There are plenty of FWD success stories at Lexus, Acura and at one time Infiniti. I'd argue having a FWD offering or two is a advantage. As long as its not ALL FWD in this segment.

That's all that really matters. Their "performance" cars will remain RWD. Offer more compelling choices and you will see sales rise.

phile 08-30-2011 09:59 PM

I'd love to see the I-series reborn again, Infiniti's really made strides with their interiors. I'd say the interiors of Infinitis are now equal to those of Lexus, and Acura is far behind.
A new I-series would be sweet with an interior like the newer Infinitis have, but hopefully they don't stick too close to the swoopy beluga whale exterior styling.

Moog-Type-S 08-31-2011 11:44 AM

^^ Come on now....catfish face beluga shape designs are the new hotness!!!

Hapa DC5 08-31-2011 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S (Post 13200936)
^^ Come on now....catfish face beluga shape designs are the new hotness!!!

Still better then the beak!

Moog-Type-S 08-31-2011 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5 (Post 13201589)
Still better then the beak!

No doubt, bet getting pretty close.

Nissan/Infiniti designs are moving into Honda/Acura design territory.

Hope they can turn it around.

biker 09-14-2011 09:56 AM

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D9PO9U0O2.htm

The CEOs of Daimler and Renault-Nissan say their 18-month old partnership has avoided the mistakes that sank earlier industry tie-ups and could be expanded, including the likely use of Daimler vehicle architecture in a compact car from Nissan luxury brand Infiniti.

Renault-Nissan's Carlos Ghosn, sitting next to Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche at a news conference at the Frankfurt auto show, said that tentative plans are to have Infiniti come out with a small car based on the Daimler platform in 2014.

The front-drive structure underpins Daimler's new Mercedes B-Class hatchback.

Zetsche and Ghosn said their cooperation on engines and vehicle platforms helps avoid overlapping investment and reduce costs, while avoiding the overstretch of earlier auto industry mergers that foundered.

Zetsche did not use the word "Chrysler" but the reference was obvious to Daimler's ultimately unsuccessful 1998 merger with the U.S. company, aimed at forming a global auto giant. The two split up and Chrysler is now controlled by Fiat SpA.

The Daimler AG and Renault-Nissan partnership works, Ghosn and Zetsche said, because it is based on specific projects that benefit both sides. Under the deal struck in April, 2010, Renault-Nissan will supply small engines for use in Mercedes vehicles, while Mercedes will provide larger engines for Infiniti cars. The idea is to fully exploit each side's production capacity with higher volumes, a practice that cuts costs.

The two companies are also sharing a common platform for their Renault Twingo and Daimler Smart models that will come to market beginning in 2014.

Zetsche said that starting with specific, limited cooperation worked better than deciding on a visionary merger and then figuring out where the synergies would be. "We have not set up a top down, long-term framework and then said, try to fill it."

He conceded that what the company did previously was at times "the opposite of what we are doing here... the outcome was not perfect."

is300eater 02-04-2012 02:04 PM

Repost?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photoga...m_medium=email

SSFTSX 02-04-2012 07:52 PM

Infinit M hybrid achives 25mpg all in town with hills.

Not Toyota Prius or Honda Civic hybrid does not make sense as they are overpriced and way slower than regular 4 cylinder with same price.

http://www.automobilemag.com/green/r...ven/index.html
GREEN:
Driven: 2012 Infiniti M Hybrid
Even so, it's EPA rated at 27 mpg city, 32 on the highway. Its most direct competitor, the Lexus GS450h, is about to be replaced and maybe doesn't make for a very fair comparison, but that fact that the Lexus hybrid gets a comparably pathetic 22/25 mpg just shows how quickly hybrid technology is advancing. Unfortunately, I was only able to achieve an indicated 25 mpg in my week with the car, but that was almost all in-town driving, and with our steep hills here, it's not uncommon for cars to do worse than their EPA city estimates in my hands.

Assuming you can live with rear-wheel drive, the M hybrid makes an awfully strong case. Compared to the M37, the hybrid costs $5000 more, but it trounces the M37 in fuel economy, besting it by 9 mpg in the city and 6 mpg on the highway. Driving an average of 15,000 miles annually, you save nearly $800 per year (with gas at $3.95/gallon) with the hybrid. So the payoff time is just over six years -- less if you factor in the hybrid's expected higher resale value. Oh, and the hybrid is way faster.

It's against the M56, however, that the hybrid looks even better. It drives with very near the alacrity of its V-8 sibling, but it's $5400 cheaper (although the M56 has more standard equipment). Additionally, the hybrid saves more than $1000 per year in fuel costs.

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/green/r...#ixzz1lT579HP4

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/green/r...#ixzz1lT44RM7V

VTEC Racer 02-05-2012 01:07 AM

:biggrin:

TSX69 09-12-2012 12:36 PM

Compact Family

We know that luxury auto brand Infiniti is working on a compact model to take on the likes of the BMW 1-Series and the Audi A3. Based on the Etherea concept shown in 2011, the smallest Infiniti model will be built by Magna Steyr in Austria, using a version of the Mercedes-Benz MFA front-drive platform.

Now comes word from the Netherland’s De Telegraaf that Infiniti’s compact offering may not be limited to just a single model. Borrowing a page from partner Mercedes-Benz’s playbook, Infiniti may seek to produce a family of compact vehicles on the MFA platform.

Mercedes builds some 5 different models based on MFA architecture, which can be adapted to either front-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive use. If Infiniti followed suit, possibilities include a C-segment crossover or even a coupe to supplement the expected sedan.

Don’t look for confirmation from Infiniti just yet, as executive vice president Andy Palmer was quoted as saying, “We are aware that there are opportunities for other types (of vehicles) in the C-segment. There is nothing decided. The variants will be appropriate to the brand.”

In other words, Infiniti isn’t showing its hand until whatever vehicles it is planning are closer to launch. Given the competitive nature of the segment, we say that’s just good business.

Yumcha 09-12-2012 01:12 PM

Hope it looks better than a Beluga.

Hapa DC5 09-12-2012 04:42 PM

is300eater 12-28-2012 08:45 PM

:thumbsup:

oonowindoo 01-03-2013 06:19 PM

This is more important than the stupid Q...

http://www.sidewaysat11.com/infiniti...uture-line-up/

Moog-Type-S 01-03-2013 07:02 PM

I see Sea Monsters!

Moog-Type-S 01-24-2013 05:40 PM

Nissan once mulled pulling the plug on Infiniti

Late last year, Nissan announced plans to radically overhaul its Infiniti luxury division with a completely new naming strategy. While that move, a calculated bid to improve Infiniti’s footing in the premium segment, indicates that the brand has a future, a top Nissan executive has revealed that Infiniti’s survival wasn’t always a sure thing.

Speaking with WardsAuto on the sidelines of the Detroit show, Nissan Executive Vice President Andy Palmer recalled that Renault-Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn once contemplated shutting down the brand.

“Mr. Ghosn challenged me and said, ‘We don’t have to do Infiniti, you can cancel it if you want,” Palmer said.

Ultimately, Palmer made the decision to stick with Infiniti, but decided to eliminate the high-volume focus that had plagued the brand since its inception.

“(Infiniti has) nice premium cars, but frankly, (they’re) kind of discount,” he says. “And we’ve been selling those cars over a period of 23 years with a Nissan-push mentality.”

Palmer stated that the company looks at Audi as a model for how a luxury brand can enjoy success while maintaining a healthy distance from the volume goals of a mass-market parent company. For that reason, Nissan recently hired former Audi of American president Johan de Nysschen as Infiniti’s Senior Vice President.

De Nysschen has pledged to help reinvent Infiniti as a quality-first tier-one premium brand, with one of his first decisions since signing on being to push back a previous goal of selling 500,000 worldwide from 2016 to 2017. Rather than chasing sales targets, de Nysschen wants to make certain that Infiniti develops the “brand metrics which entrench Infiniti as an unquestioned member of the club of premium automotive brands.”

Over the next four years, Infiniti will begin put its new strategy into action by releasing four new models – a compact hatchback derived from the Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class, a production version of the LE electric concept and two mystery vehicles. De Nyscchen has hinted that the Essence supercar concept may still make it showrooms, as could a non-traditional model positioned above the M sedan.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/nissan-o...-infiniti.html