AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Infiniti: Development and Technology News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/infiniti-development-technology-news-380710/)

is300eater 12-17-2007 01:49 AM

Infiniti: Development and Technology News

snipped from http://www.autoblog.com/category/infiniti/

Nissan's ASV-4 talks to others cars and cell phones

The system uses the car's navigation screen and a warning signal to alert the driver to dangerous situations that he or she might not even be able to see. Nissan's next step is to allow for the same warnings for unseen pedestrians by communicating with their cell phones. Follow the link to read the full press release.

Infiniti to expand lineup with 10 new vehicles by 2010

Product-wise, Infiniti intends to bring approximately 10 new vehicles to market by the end of the decade, and although Tavares was mum on specifics, he did state that more crossovers, a "sports-oriented" car and a flagship are all part of the future lineup.

(and from a separate article, but in the same vein)

Shiro Nakamura, Nissan's global design chief, revealed that plans to expand the Infiniti lineup could include a small vehicle to slot in below the current G, a two-door high-powered flagship and some form of people mover that would fill the gap left by the EX and FX CUVs.

Since the GT-R will find its way to U.S. shores sporting a Nissan badge (and rightfully so), Nakamura maintains that a halo car, either a coupe or convertible, would fit well into the Infiniti lineup. Although details are scarce, the idea of installing a modified version of the GT-R's twin-turbo V6 into Infiniti's flagship shouldn't be out of the question.

is300eater 12-17-2007 01:51 AM

first of all... 10 new cars by the end of the decade? ...as in 2 years? yeah, right

and... more crossovers? WHY??!! You have 2 already in your lineup... How about work on a flagship sedan to go up against the LS?? :dunno:

Jackygor 12-17-2007 02:27 AM

Infiniti really needs to bring back the Q...

or something like that.

More cross overs...durrr...

I am interested in the car slotted below the G, should be riding on the rumored, new silvia, chassis.

M3 fighter, aka infiniti's version of de-tuned GT-R...

*cross fingers*

is300eater 12-17-2007 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jackygor
Infiniti really needs to bring back the Q...

or something like that.

:werd:

that's what I meant when I said "flagship"

SeCsTaC 12-17-2007 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by is300eater
first of all... 10 new cars by the end of the decade? ...as in 2 years? yeah, right

and... more crossovers? WHY??!! You have 2 already in your lineup... How about work on a flagship sedan to go up against the LS?? :dunno:

uhhh didn't the first article just say that they plan on introducing a flagship?

Anyways, really interested in the car that's supposedly slotted under the G, the sports oriented flagship ala GT-R and last but not least THE FLAGSHIP!!

For the Flagship Sports car I imagine it to be a refined/reskinned version of the GT-R and more of a GT car than an all out sports car. I can also see it fighting the entry level Aston Martin, the Audi R8, future NSX etc etc

JediMindTricks 12-17-2007 10:37 AM

it mentions a flagship but a 2 door flagship.

and what kind of filler do you need in between the EX and FX? :scratch:

i'd rather see a flagship sedan and a powered-up G35/37 to compete against the M3, IS-F, etc.

MaximaPower 12-17-2007 12:48 PM

i see a GTR with Infiniti skin being the 2door flagship and a new Q

dont care about any more crossovers

is300eater 12-17-2007 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks

and what kind of filler do you need in between the EX and FX? :scratch:

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
dont care about any more crossovers

" a two-door high-powered flagship and some form of people mover that would fill the gap left by the EX and FX CUVs."

when I read that part, I thought of the exact same thing.... but if you read it again... what they're saying is the gap between the CUVs and the rest of the lineup... (EX/FX GAP rest of the lineup)

derrick 12-17-2007 07:00 PM

There will be a 2 door car that will be one-up from the G37. Based upon the underpinnings of the G37 ... there is plenty of room for turbos, beefed up transmission, etc. I will bet Infiniti will throw down the gauntlet and build something to compete with the M3 (albeit only in HP ... not driving dynamics). Infiniti dealers were pissed the GT-R wasn't branded an Infiniti so this is the peace offering HQ is offering.

Now ... what I'd like to see is a Legend coupe like car ... posh, but powerful, along with good driving dynamics. I suppose the G37 is on the right track but I still think it's a little rough around the edges in comparison. And I also think there will be a convertible G ... this will be one of the "10" the journalist is most likely referring to. :2cents:

And I certainly hope the new Q can even remotely compete with the LS. Fine, it won't have all the bells and whistles but at least have some sort of soul / character of its own.

titan 12-17-2007 07:28 PM

With the debut of the new 135i, the car slotted under the G is coming for sure. Also, a four door coupe in the vein of the CLS slotted above the M but under the next Q. I still hear hear rumors of the Q flagship coming, but not until after this four door coupe. I continue to run across rumors of an Infiniti halo based off of the GTR, but with a souped up version of the 5.5-6.0L V8 that will go into the next Q, CLS competitor, and V8 M. I assume the sheet metal would be totally unique to the Halo. Including the additional crossover, that's four vehicles; if Infiniti does move forward with rumors that they'll introduce a high powered division a la' AMG/M, and most of the lineup gets that treatment, then Infiniti might count those as "new vehicles" in the 10 mentioned. :bandito:

AlterZgo 12-18-2007 01:53 PM

I wouldn't mind a G50 sedan (V8 powered G) to compete against the IS-F, M3, S4, C63/E63.

F23A4 12-20-2007 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I wouldn't mind a G50 sedan (V8 powered G) to compete against the IS-F, M3, S4, C63/E63.

:thumbsup:

titan 03-28-2009 11:07 PM

Infiniti Product Plans for the Next Five Years

We already know that the Infiniti M will be completely redesigned in 2010. The car will be offered with a 3.7L V6, a 3.0L V6 turbodiesel and a hybrid petrol-electric version. No V8 options are currently planned so for those of you looking to race your M against a BMW M5 - you may want to hold-off a little longer.

According to AutoCar, a new QX SUV will be launched in 2011. It will sit above the FX and will offer four-wheel-drive and seating for seven-passengers. Sources say that another seven-seater is in the works that will sit lower than the QX. If approved the un-named SUV could be on sale before 2015.

In 2012, Infiniti will go after upmarket luxury sedans with a new Q that was discontinued in 2006. The G sedan and G coupe will also be redesigned in 2012.

After 2012, Infiniti will finally bring to the market it’s much talked about BMW 1-Series rival. Sources say the entry-level Infiniti will include a battery-powered version that will be pitched as an electric-car.

- By: Kap Shah

http://www.egmcartech.com/2009/03/27...-series-rival/

titan 03-28-2009 11:10 PM

Finally, something concrete about the next Q. I read that the U.S. dealers went to Japan and saw a four door version of the Essence Concept that was drop dead goregous and is the precursor of the next Q. After reading this, seems the lineup will be nicely filled out by 2012. All it'll be missing is an M coupe.

titan 03-28-2009 11:16 PM

Well, it seems Infiniti is intent on making itself a major player in the premium segment with the development of several new models. So, let's see what Autocar has to say about them.

First up, the mag is reporting that Infiniti will be developing a new medium-sized luxury sedan to compete against the likes of the BMW 5-series. The model is slated to make its debut at the 2010 Geneva motor show and will be called the M(number to be announced at a later date). The model is supposed to come with the brand's 3.7 liter V6 gasoline/petrol powerplant, as well as a new 3.0 liter V6 turbocharged diesel.

Also in the works is a new QX flagship SUV to replace the current QX56. It will be very large and aimed at markets such as the US and Russia, with availability in Europe limited to special ordering. By 2015, there may be another 7-seat SUV too, one that sits lower and comes with a sleeker roof-line, but nothing is assured here.

Two new sedans are also in the pipeline for a 2012 release. A new Q-badged full-sized limousine, to be the brand's flagship model, and the next generation G37 which will likely carry a different name.

Lastly, is an electric car set to rival the BMW 1-series. It will likely be a rear or all-wheel drive and Infiniti wants to have it on the market by 2012.

Good luck with all that.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090327....n-next-5-years

titan 03-28-2009 11:18 PM

A flagship luxury car, a new all-wheel-drive seven-seat flagship SUV, and an all-electric entry-level model are in the pipeline for growing Japanese premium car maker Infiniti.

2009: AN ALL NEW M-BADGED 5-SERIES CHASER

This year, we’ll see the introduction of the Japanese firm’s all-new 'M'-badged mid-size executive sedan

This car will be engineered to accept a new direct injection version of Infiniti’s 3.7-liter V6 engine and the current 5.0 liter V8 found in the FX50. Expect power increases for both engines. A hybid version is expected to make up a third model for the M-range. For European markets, there will be an optional 3.0 liter V6 turbo-diesel. Both the EX and FX SUV's will get the V6 turbo-diesel engine before the new 'M'.

2010: A BRAND NEW FLAGSHIP SUV

A new QX large SUV will be launched the following year based on the Japanese domestic market Nissan Patrol. This car will sit above the FX, offer all-wheel-drive and seat seven in comfort.

Like the current QX56, the sheer size of the new model will make it much more suited to the American and Russian markets than the narrow roads of Europe. It’s likely to be available to Western European buyers only via special order.

2011: INFINITI GOES AFTER THE QUATTROPORTE

Three years from now, Infiniti will launch two all-new sedans: an executive flagship, and the replacement for the current entry-level G37.

The firm’s biggest four-door will be badged ‘Q’ and will take over from the Q45 sedan that Infiniti discontinued in 2006. Infiniti executives have already been shown an early concept version of this sedan, based on the recently shown Essence Concept.

The next G-badged model family should account for the majority of Infiniti’s sales. Little detail is known, other than that diesel engines will not be featured in the G-range until this new model arrives. Expect new direct injection 3.7 liter V6 engines with the possibility of twin-turbocharging.

2012: AN ELECTRIC 1-SERIES COMPETITOR

Infiniti’s distant plans currently include a battery-powered compact model, although building it is still very much an ambition for the company rather than a concrete part of the product schedule.

In order to be effective as an electric car, it would have to be reasonably small, low, and aerodynamically efficient. However, in order to be a true Infiniti it will also have to have either rear or four-wheel drive.

BEYOND 2013: A SLEEK SEVEN-SEATER

Another Infiniti seven-seater may be along before too long. A lower, sleeker seven-seat model is in the pipeline and if it’s approved it could be on sale before 2015.

http://www.autospies.com/news/The-Fu...e-Years-42391/

Edward'TLS 03-28-2009 11:25 PM

I thought the M45 was to replace the Q45.

Python2121 03-28-2009 11:56 PM

tiny fast electric cars ftw

GreenMonster 03-29-2009 11:19 AM

Looking forward to the 1-series competitor... make mine gas powered tho'...

iforyou 03-29-2009 12:32 PM

So two more SUV's eh?

is300eater 03-29-2009 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS (Post 10704834)

nah... the 2 models actually co-exists at one time... and the M is smaller.

Mokos23 03-29-2009 02:07 PM

why don't they bring out a car to compete with the TSX and IS? they can definately bring more people and have an entry point in the $28-32K to the infiniti brand like they did before with the g20. the g37 is about the same size as the TL and ES. i mean the TSX has been a great hit for acura in that price range, why not infiniti?

Yumcha 03-29-2009 03:33 PM

Thanks for posting the links too, guys! Keep up the great work! :cheers:

knight rider 03-29-2009 05:03 PM

"The system uses the car's navigation screen and a warning signal to alert the driver to dangerous situations that he or she might not even be able to see. Nissan's next step is to allow for the same warnings for unseen pedestrians by communicating with their cell phones."

pedestrian: ...hello?
Infiniti: ...Im about to hit you
pedestrian: whaa?
Infiniti: hello?
driver: LOL

is300eater 03-29-2009 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mokos23 (Post 10706229)
why don't they bring out a car to compete with the TSX and IS?

I would think the 135 beater they speak of will fit into that category :shrug:

titan 03-29-2009 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Yumchah (Post 10706440)
Thanks for posting the links too, guys! Keep up the great work! :cheers:

Thanks... see, I remember this time, lol. :thumbsup:

titan 03-29-2009 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by is300eater (Post 10706823)
I would think the 135 beater they speak of will fit into that category :shrug:

+ 1. They're definitely addressing that segment with the upcoming 135 beater.

Mokos23 03-29-2009 10:42 PM

the 135 is a 2 dr coupe. i was thinking of a 4 dr sedan slotted below the G37 sedan.

is300eater 03-29-2009 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mokos23 (Post 10707894)
the 135 is a 2 dr coupe. i was thinking of a 4 dr sedan slotted below the G37 sedan.

I'm sure if they study the market and see that there's a demand for a sedan in that size/category... it wouldn't be hard to come up with one. Just extend the frame a little, add 2 doors and 2 seats... they can pull that off over night nowadays

AATSX 03-29-2009 11:32 PM

they used to have g20? they need a flagship cant wait i want infiniti to compete with bmw 7 series and lexus LS audi s/a8, mercedes s55 AMG, that would be hot, and i want acura to do the same something sick like that. also i sick Suv to compete Escalade.

Edward'TLS 03-30-2009 02:53 AM

Funny that every auto maker is thinking small right now, but Infiniti is planning for an even bigger sedan.:screwy:

biker 03-30-2009 03:47 AM

^ size differentiation has not been improtant for Infinit in the recent past. All of their sedans (G, M and Q) were close in size (various parts of the mid-sized segment - with the Q closer to full size). They differentiated in price and features. I have a feeling that will change going forward and like most other makers they will have more substantial size differences in the lineup. :2cents:

titan 03-30-2009 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS (Post 10708585)
Funny that every auto maker is thinking small right now, but Infiniti is planning for an even bigger sedan.:screwy:

It seems that Infiniti is bringing both a smaller and larger sedan to the lineup. It needs both to be a true competitor to it's rivals... makes sense, I think. :2cents:

F23A4 03-30-2009 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS (Post 10704834)

The M45 became a stopgap flagship for Infiniti until the Q's return.

JediMindTricks 03-30-2009 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by F23A4 (Post 10709217)
The M45 became a stopgap flagship for Infiniti until the Q's return.

:nod:

kinda like the RL...i said kinda.

and great stuff. thanks, titan. it's very exciting.

F23A4 03-30-2009 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks (Post 10709264)

:nod: ...except without the stopgap. :thumbsup:

titan 03-30-2009 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mokos23 (Post 10707894)

I'm thinking the 135i beater Infiniti has planned will be a coupe.

titan 03-30-2009 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks (Post 10709264)

and great stuff. thanks, titan. it's very exciting.

Right, "kinda" is the operative word there, lol. It'd be nice for Acura to develop a full size flagship above the RL. And no problem, I think it's exciting too. I've been interested to see what product plans Infiniti has in the pipeline and the news seems pretty positive. I can't wait to see if the next M is everything Infiniti is everything it's touting it to be.

vybzkartel 03-30-2009 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by titan (Post 10710850)
Right, "kinda" is the operative word there, lol. It'd be nice for Acura to develop a full size flagship above the RL. And no problem, I think it's exciting too. I've been interested to see what product plans Infiniti has in the pipeline and the news seems pretty positive. I can't wait to see if the next M is everything Infiniti is everything it's touting it to be.

Well, the TL has taken the place in the segment that the RL occupied. Therefore, the next RL will become the true full size flagship that it's suppose to be!

TSX69 05-25-2010 06:27 AM

Infiniti Performance Line (IPL)

Hot on the heels of the recent revelation that Infiniti is working on a duo of new G-based vehicles slated to debut at this year's Pebble Beach extravaganza, we've come across a trademark filing by Nissan North America for "IPL." What's IPL you ask? Infiniti Performance Line, a new catalog of in-house developed upgrades which – according to the filing – will include everything from air filters to cat-back exhaust systems, and – more intriguingly – "automotive engine parts, namely turbochargers and superchargers."

The approach is likely to be similar to how NISMO develops and markets parts for Nissan or, more accurately, Lexus' launch of its F-Sport performance line.

This new line of performance parts will likely be unveiled this August in Pebble Beach and be fitted to the G37 coupe. How extensive the modifications are remains to be seen, but as previously reported, one of the models set to debut will be "performance oriented," and if forced induction is part of the package, we're anxiously awaiting our rendezvous with the modded coupe this summer.