Infiniti: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
Folks in CA and FL and others who don't need AWD.

If Lexus or any other maker would stock the FWD only model it would sell - people just don't ask for it and why would Lexus or anyone else give up the extra money.
Then in terms of FWD utility, minivans FTW.

We rented a FWD 09 Murano during our Florida vacation back in 2008 and it was great until we hit a typical Floridian rainstorm on the Fla Turnpike.....resulting in skittishness that my 05 Murano SL AWD (back home in NJ) NEVER experienced. Even in Florida, I'd opt for AWD.

Last edited by F23A4; 07-12-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by smarty666
well, the I35 and 5G Maxima at the time looked identical from the exterior, with practically identical exterior dimensions/interior dimensions, similar exterior lines in many places and even the interior layout was the same. Also, they shared the same platform, engine, etc. The only really difference between the two at the time was the interior fit/finish, material quality, and some luxury feature things, like heated rear seats, etc and dash illumination (I35 had a greenish color, while the Maxima was a light white I believe). The I35 and 5G Maxima sold in this country at the time did resemble each other tremendously.

That was another reason why Infiniti discontinued it. The Maxima was eating its sales away, b/c all the car mags bitched it was a guised up Maxima and why pay more for that, and b/c the 1G G sedan and coupe became their bread and butter, overshadowing the I35, and Infiniti was going the route of RWD only so that axed the FWD I35!

I would be surprised if the G25 or any other Infiniti for that matter would offer FWD considering for almost 8 yrs now they wanted nothing more to do with it! I suppose with the CAFE stuff and gas prices that could be enough though for them to change their mind on that no FWD position.
The jury is out on whether or not Maxima sales were the reason for the demise of the I35, particularly when 3G Altima sales were eating away at 5.5G Maxima sales from day one AND the I35 carried on into the 04 model year....which the 5.5G did not.

Regardless, it was clear that Nissan wanted to go into a different brand direction with the Infiniti lineup as they didn't dress up the 6G Maxima (read: lipstick on a pig?) for Infiniti consumption.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
The jury is out on whether or not Maxima sales were the reason for the demise of the I35, particularly when 3G Altima sales were eating away at 5.5G Maxima sales from day one AND the I35 carried on into the 04 model year....which the 5.5G did not.

Regardless, it was clear that Nissan wanted to go into a different brand direction with the Infiniti lineup as they didn't dress up the 6G Maxima (read: lipstick on a pig?) for Infiniti consumption.
Oh yeah, they didn't go in that direction for the 6th Gen Maxima for sure. I still don't really care for the 6th Gen, it got way to big/bloated and am just thankful they got back on track with the 7th Gen, especially in the looks department.

Personally, I think it had more to do with the introduction of the G Sedan and Infiniti wanting to go RWD route only that got rid of the I35! Its a shame, I've been in a I35 several times and it was a nice little comfortable sedan to drive around with, bland by today's standards, but not terrible at that time!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh yeah, they didn't go in that direction for the 6th Gen Maxima for sure. I still don't really care for the 6th Gen, it got way to big/bloated and am just thankful they got back on track with the 7th Gen, especially in the looks department.

Personally, I think it had more to do with the introduction of the G Sedan and Infiniti wanting to go RWD route only that got rid of the I35! Its a shame, I've been in a I35 several times and it was a nice little comfortable sedan to drive around with, bland by today's standards, but not terrible at that time!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:30 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
^ thats easily explainable. Thats because acura isnt looking to sell alot of them because they want the cars to be exclusive
But do the Chinese Acura's carry exclusively-high price tags compared to other comparable vehicles selling in China ? To be exclusive, the price tags have to be set so high that can only be afforded by the relatively few super-wealthy buyers.

In China, all import vehicles have outrageously-high price tags because the Chinese government taxes the hell out of import vehicles since they are considered to be luxury items, not necessity items.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 PM
2G TLX-S

SSFTSX, I'm still interested in knowing :

How Honda Motor Co. markets the Acura brand in China ? What is Acura in China, when compared to the true economy brands, and to the true luxury brands ?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
But do the Chinese Acura's carry exclusively-high price tags compared to other comparable vehicles selling in China ? To be exclusive, the price tags have to be set so high that can only be afforded by the relatively few super-wealthy buyers.

In China, all import vehicles have outrageously-high price tags because the Chinese government taxes the hell out of import vehicles since they are considered to be luxury items, not necessity items.
Red= Sarcastic
Old 07-13-2010, 07:58 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
We rented a FWD 09 Murano during our Florida vacation back in 2008 and it was great until we hit a typical Floridian rainstorm on the Fla Turnpike.....resulting in skittishness that my 05 Murano SL AWD (back home in NJ) NEVER experienced. Even in Florida, I'd opt for AWD.

Since when does AWD get rid of "skittishness"?
Old 07-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

sounds like tires were the issue?
Old 07-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Very few incidents of hydroplaning torque steer for one ...

I felt far more confident in my S4 in the worst rain storms than I ever did in any FWD car I've owned.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by charliemike

I felt far more confident in my S4 in the worst rain storms than I ever did in any FWD car I've owned.
After having FWD, RWD, and AWD when it comes to really bad weather (heavy rain, snow, sleet, etc) it always goes AWD > FWD > RWD. Now, no matter what drive you have, even if you have AWD, that doesn't mean your invincible in really bad weather and can drive like a crazy nut, but I've seen plenty of people, even in really bad snow, that have AWD, drive around like a bat out of hell.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Senior Moderator

After having FWD, RWD, and AWD when it comes to really bad weather (heavy rain, snow, sleet, etc) it always goes AWD > FWD > RWD. Now, no matter what drive you have, even if you have AWD, that doesn't mean your invincible in really bad weather and can drive like a crazy nut, but I've seen plenty of people, even in really bad snow, that have AWD, drive around like a bat out of hell.
Tires play a larger roll in how the car behaves than what tires are being driven.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Thank you.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:58 PM
2G TLX-S

Red= Sarcastic
Got it ! Learn something new everyday.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Tires play a larger roll in how the car behaves than what tires are being driven.
Oh absolutely!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
SSFTSX, I'm still interested in knowing :

How Honda Motor Co. markets the Acura brand in China ? What is Acura in China, when compared to the true economy brands, and to the true luxury brands ?
You have to consider. that Acura is import brand so its price will higher relative to domestic manufacture in China while BMW/Audi and MB are now domestic.
TSX which is called Honda Superior is made in China but it is not selling under Acura Brand.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Race Director

tires play a larger roll in how the car behaves than what tires are being driven.
+1
Old 07-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Yes to a degree but every FWD car I've ever owned has scared the shit out of me during a heavy thunderstorm when the front wheels broke loose and for a second or two I had no control over the car.

Never had that with my Audi. Just saying
Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Yes to a degree but every FWD car I've ever owned has scared the shit out of me during a heavy thunderstorm when the front wheels broke loose and for a second or two I had no control over the car.

Never had that with my Audi. Just saying
And how did you have control with the wheels that steer the vehicle when they broke loose with AWD??? AWD or not those are still the tires that steer the vehicle. Its great the rears can still send you forward (or sideways).If your front tires never lost traction id say that was Tires and nothing to do with AWD.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Race Director

That means you were going way too fast for the conditions and had nothing to do with the car being FWD.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

That means you were going way too fast for the conditions and had nothing to do with the car being FWD.
+1
Old 07-14-2010, 05:18 PM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
You have to consider. that Acura is import brand so its price will higher relative to domestic manufacture in China while BMW/Audi and MB are now domestic.
TSX which is called Honda Superior is made in China but it is not selling under Acura Brand.
Does this means

Acura > BMW/Audi/MB

in China ?????
Old 07-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 07-28-2010, 11:51 PM
OG Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Nissan/Infiniti - Forward Collision Avoidance Assist Concept (FCAAC)

New Nissan Safety Tech Prevents Rear-Endings, Detects Nearby Moving Objects - Wide Open Throttle - Motor Trend Magazine

Think your GT-R has all the latest electronic aids? Think again. Nissan's newest safety technology includes Moving Object Detection and an impact prevention system called the Forward Collision Avoidance Assist Concept.

It's a mouthful, but the Forward Collision Avoidance Assist Concept is exactly how it sounds. The technology automatically applies the brakes when radar sensors detect an imminent collision with a vehicle or object ahead, at speeds of up to 60 km/h (around 37 mph). Nissan says the speed is the highest for any collision avoidance system around and, compared to Volvo's City Safety, this one is continuously employed at twice the Volvo system's speed (up to 19 mph for City Safety).

In addition to the higher speed, Nissan focused on making the deceleration and stoppage as smooth as possible in an astute attempt to avoid triggering a chain reaction of rear-endings from vehicles behind. When activated, the FCAAC also tightens the driver's seatbelt and activates visual and auditory alerts in the cabin.

The FCAAC helps vehicles in motion but Moving Object Detection assists drivers who are parking. MOD supplements Nissan's Around View Monitor parking system and seeks out the presence of moving objects around the vehicle. Once detected, MOD alerts the driver through a screen display while a buzzer apparently emits a "PiPi" noise.

Both technologies were developed as part of Nissan's Safety Shield concept and we should begin to see them manifest in new vehicles in the near future.

Source: Nissan
Old 07-29-2010, 06:27 AM
Race Director

Is there an over-ride?
Old 08-04-2010, 01:28 PM
OG Member

Smile

Infiniti exploring new Q?

CAR - Infiniti's Design Future: Where next for Nissan's BMW?

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...design-future/

Infiniti’s design language, Dynamic Adeyaka, will be turned up on the next generation of the company’s cars, the brand's design chiefs have told CAR. And there are more concepts cars coming to showcase the styling direction, as Infiniti continues to persaude buyers from their BMWs.

We won’t see anything at the 2010 Paris motor show (more details of the alliance with Daimler are expected to be the news there) but the 2010 LA, or 2011 Detroit or Geneva shows will host a new Infiniti concept car to follow on from the gorgeous Essence (pictured above with design director Shiro Nakamura).

What about new Infiniti models? What's next?

We told you the other day about Infiniti's new electric car coming in 2012. Infiniti is also exploring a replacement for its Q limousine, which sits above the new M saloon. Tough times mean it’s not confirmed for production yet, but Infiniti design director Takashi Nakajima told CAR that rather than mimic a traditional limo like an S-class, the next Q needed to reflect Infiniti’s character. Think Quattroporte, Rapide, CLS, etc. We suggested a four-door take on the Essence supercar. His response? ‘Exactly!’

However, Infiniti may decide that its money is better spent on a halo model like a sports car rather than a range-topping limousine. A coupe based on the M is currently out of the question though, according to Nakamura-san, as the volumes are too small.

What about the bread-and-butter cars like the G?

We’ve also heard from Infiniti sources that a new performance-oriented package will be launched for the G at Pebble Beach (think BMW’s M-Sport kits), but while senior management would love to expand the new brand (thought to be called Infiniti Performance Line) the times aren’t right for out-and-out performance cars.

Instead, next on the agenda for Infiniti is equipping the majority of its cars with stop/start tech, although (like Audi) it promises not to market its vehicles with a branding like EfficientDynamics or BlueEfficiency. Rather, it'll be rolled out across nearly every model on sale.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

ROFL ... You're simply not going to accept the fact that FWD might not be the best thing that's ever happened to the automobile are you?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:21 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Good stuff. I'm loving my G so far; no wonder RWD is so appealing..
Old 08-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Instead, next on the agenda for Infiniti is equipping the majority of its cars with stop/start tech...
Oh great, just what I was hoping for in the new G series...
Old 01-19-2011, 09:46 PM
OG Member

Infiniti Officials Debate High-Priced Halo Car, Mull Entry-Level Model

By Christie Schweinsberg
WardsAuto.com, Jan 18, 2011 9:00 AM

DETROIT – Nissan North America Inc.’s Infiniti brand can be forgiven for being nostalgic.

The luxury marque last year enjoyed the largest sales increase among its competitors, up 27.5%, giving the brand its best share of the segment.

But to be a credible Tier-1 luxury marque, Infiniti needs a “high-priced, halo flagship model,” Brian Carolin, NNA vice president-sales, tells Ward’s in an interview at this week’s North American International Auto Show.

Infiniti’s sales of 103,411 units trailed by a wide margin the 200,000-plus volume the BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Lexus brands each racked up in 2010.

Nor does it enjoy the positive press of current media-darling Audi AG, despite outselling the German brand last year in the U.S. by a couple thousand units.

What the four top luxury bands have in common are pricey high-performance halo cars that lure buyers into showrooms, even if they can’t afford to buy them.

This has Nissan/Infiniti officials debating whether a sedan, similar in strategy to the BMW 7-Series and favored by company officials two or three years ago, is the best game plan going forward or whether a super sports car, such as the Audi R8, would be optimal.

“It’s kind of perennial debate within the organization: ‘What do we need by way of a flagship for the Infiniti range?’” Carolin says. “I don’t think we’ve yet arrived at a conclusion,” he adds, calling the flagship decision “a work in progress.”

Two years ago, Infiniti was touring the U.S. with the Essence concept supercar to gauge public reaction. Brand officials at the time said the economy would need to improve for it to see production.

An entry-luxury model also is under study, although less certain. “As usual in the car business, it’s: ‘Can we make it pencil,” Carolin says of such a model’s profitability. The segment is small but growing, filled right now by the BMW 1-Series, Volvo C30, Audi A3 and upcoming Lexus CT 200h.

Nissan officials once thought the new, smaller-engine G25 could fill the niche, but Carolin says that model does not meet the sniff test. “I think (an entry-luxury car) would have to be a very different product, (on) a different platform.”
Old 01-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
rebirth of the G20
Old 01-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,653 Likes on 13,892 Posts
I'd love to see Infiniti produce a halo car.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
G25 isn't selling because its only available in stripped base models. Give it all available options from the G37 and it should sell more.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:42 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Maybe a good looking GT-R?!?!?!
Old 01-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by phile
rebirth of the G20
OR a rebirth of the I series in the form of an Infinitized version of the Altima maybe. And unless they are committed to a long wheelbase luxury sedan, I say go with the super sports car. (The M56X is a sufficient sedan topper for the brand IMHO.)
Old 01-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Race Director

Nissan officials once thought the new, smaller-engine G25 could fill the niche, but Carolin says that model does not meet the sniff test. “I think (an entry-luxury car) would have to be a very different product, (on) a different platform.”
Right, since the G25 is a true luxury car and we need a Versa type vehicle to make the the difference obvious. Would a badge whored Versa pass the sniff test?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
M56 engine in the G coupe with suspension upgrades and call it a day....
Old 01-20-2011, 01:10 PM
OG Member

What's missing in this picture?

When Hyundai has something in this segment along side the S-Class and 7-Series, and Infiniti has nothing, that is pretty sad...IMO.

Unless they step up to the plate and gets some balls they won't be taken seriously.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:28 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,823 Likes on 3,735 Posts
Originally Posted by DrewSRX
What's missing in this picture?
When Hyundai has something in this segment along side the S-Class and 7-Series, and Infiniti has nothing, that is pretty sad...IMO.

Unless they step up to the plate and gets some balls they won't be taken seriously.

[/img]

[/img]
A beak?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:34 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
^LoL, what is the take rate on the G25 considering Infiniti sold 7k+ Gs last month. It would be nice to see a true entry model and a halo car or flagship from Infiniti since they rely heavily on G sales.

Quick Reply: Infiniti: Development and Technology News