Hyundai: Azera/Grandeur News

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by ndx2
I think it's so funny that you expect Hyundai to perform a miracle of making cars that are unique, yet appeal to the mass at the same time (you know, to make money), all at a lower price than the competiton.

They're doing what's necessary to establish themselves as a reliable brand - there's no way around it. I don't recall Toyota introducing Lexus right off the bat... and don't even get me started on the LS400/430 design.

Just curious, what do you drive, phile?
1) You're not even reading what I wrote. I don't expect Hyundai to make unique cars overnight. I am, however, asking that they can be a little more creative by not making every single new model a carbon copy or amalgamation of cars already on the market that were not designed by them. They've been making money on cookie cutter cars, that formula isn't going to continue working. You make it seem like Hyundai's going bankrupt...they just bought rival Kia.
2) Again, not reading what I wrote. I said the new LS...look for the thread.
3) I drive an Accord.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:23 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by heyitsme
The only thing I really don't like about the exterior design and what comes to my mind when I see it is the Sonata headlights. Having Audi like design qualities etc can only help Hyundai, but I really don't see any of those qualities in this car.

2nd, people giving Lexus shit for having a similiar design as Toyota wouldn't be considered in the same way as hyundai taking ques from upper end cars that aren't even in their company. They really have nothing to lose at this point by taking ideas from higher end cars that are successful.

If anything, I see an exterior that really isn't all that hot for drawing in larger numbers of buyers.
I'm not going to belabor the point any longer, but if people like you think Hyundai has nothing to lose by continuing its cookie cutter design philosophy, then fine. But I don't see why you shouldn't expect them to do better, given that they can easily learn from the faults of the Japanese, rather than repeat them.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:27 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by aaronnn
the hyundai sonata model has been around for a while. even before the accord styling was introduced. hyundai had that design way before any of these new models came out. so no copyiing here.

i dont get why everytime a hyundai topic comes up people are hating on it to the point where theyre just accusing and not looking at the issue as a whole. give all cars a fair chance. hyundai has come a long way and theyre the only ones that seems to be moving up at such an incredible rate
No it hasn't, the remodeled one just came out, and similar taillights were on the Accord already.

I'm not hating on it - I even remarked that it looked promising. What I'm saying is that Hyundai can be better than this. If people want to misinterpret that as hating, that's too bad.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Like I've ALWAYS asked to the critics of Hyundai... "Who knows where they will be in 10 years from now?"

They are whooping ass in the auto industry right now and Rick Wagoner (you know, the CEO of the largest corporation in the world, General Motors) announced in a public statement that he's going to watch out for Hyundai.

By the way, I see no resemblance in the interior between the Azera and the Avalon. But while we're on the subject of "copying", so what? That's what the Japanese companies did back in the days, without shame. But they didn't stop at copying; they innovated on that and made it better than the products they copied from. That's what Hyundai is doing. They are already one of the top ten largest auto manufacturers in the world, and in the next decade, they will, without a doubt, become one of top five.

See, the thing is... Hyundai is not just a car company. Their business ventures extend far beyond auto manufacturing, which means they have nearly limitless resources and technology. They've started to figure out their game plan now, and they will be unstoppable in the near future.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:39 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
santa fe, tucson, tiburon, accent, and elantra- not a carbon copy. if they are, link some pics. they are just a boring design, except tiburon.

sonata- it fixed accord's rear that's all. you could even say it's interior is original.

and i do agree that azera's front reminds me of mazda millenia.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:44 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by chungkopi

sonata- it fixed accord's rear that's all. you could even say it's interior is original.
Nah, the R&D of the current generation Sonata began a couple of years before that of the 7th generation Accord. The credit goes to Hyundai.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:58 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
No it hasn't, the remodeled one just came out, and similar taillights were on the Accord already.
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Nah, the R&D of the current generation Sonata began a couple of years before that of the 7th generation Accord. The credit goes to Hyundai.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by aaronnn
Think again. The Accord came out before the Sonata. If you're arguing that the Sonata's R&D process was already ongoing before the Accord came out, what makes you think the Accord's R&D wasn't already ahead of the Sonata's?

Besides, pics of the Accord had leaked out before it even was released:

Old 10-25-2005, 11:06 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by chungkopi
santa fe, tucson, tiburon, accent, and elantra- not a carbon copy. if they are, link some pics. they are just a boring design, except tiburon.
Good. So then why step backwards? Why not continue that and actually build brand recognition?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:09 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
copying others worked (ie sells, $$$) for lexus/toyota so hyundai figures it will make them money too. considering their previous 'original' designs were so ugly and didnt sell as much as now
Old 10-25-2005, 11:12 PM
Dragging knees in

Think again. The Accord came out before the Sonata. If you're arguing that the Sonata's R&D process was already ongoing before the Accord came out, what makes you think the Accord's R&D wasn't already ahead of the Sonata's?

Besides, pics of the Accord had leaked out before it even was released:

Because the R&D of the current generation of Sonata began 7 years prior to getting the OK for production. And the Sonata hit the Korean market first last year, meaning the R&D began back in 1998. That's when the 6th generation (last generation) Accord first came out.

I don't care if the pictures of the 7th generation Accord leaked out before it was released. I HIGHLY doubt that the pictures leaked out back in 1998 along with the introduction of the previous generation model.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Dragging knees in

Good. So then why step backwards? Why not continue that and actually build brand recognition?
Only a few years ago, when I said Hyundai, people thought I mispronounced Honda. They didn't know what Hyundai was.

Now when I say Hyundai, just about everyone knows about it.

Build brand recognition? Consider it done... and this is in Michigan. Hyundais have much stronger presence on the west coast, along with other parts of the country. And with the new factories in Alabama, their recognition will only keep going up... built right here in the U.S.A.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:22 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Remember, the 1st gen LS400 was an S-Class ripoff ... And it was brilliant for Lexus/Toyota to do that. Give me the feeling and looks of an S-Class for about 50% of the price? Where do I sign?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:40 PM
Drifting

Because the R&D of the current generation of Sonata began 7 years prior to getting the OK for production. And the Sonata hit the Korean market first last year, meaning the R&D began back in 1998. That's when the 6th generation (last generation) Accord first came out.

I don't care if the pictures of the 7th generation Accord leaked out before it was released. I HIGHLY doubt that the pictures leaked out back in 1998 along with the introduction of the previous generation model.
pure adrenaline beat me to it again...

but i didnt need to think again. i knew my sources were correct from reading up on these infos and i know what i was talking about. the current model sonata design came out way back in the late 90's. and exactly as pure adrenaline stated, thats exactly when the 6th gen accords first made their way over here. why would honda leak next gen pics when they just released the new model?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm just saying, Hyundai could've been a little more ambitious. instead they take elements of every other car for their exterior, and then mimic the Avalon's interior. Some originality from Hyundai once in a while wouldn't hurt, you know.
well toyota/lexus is also still being criticsized for copying little of this and little bit of that from german automakers.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They fixed what was wrong with Accord's rear. One can't be mad at that. The Sonata's rear looks really good. And before I hear alot of shit about looks being subjective, I know. I'm always the one who brings it up first. That said, for a safe design that seems to appeal to alot of peopl (I've seen them all over in my area), I think it's an attractive car.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:10 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by titan
They fixed what was wrong with Accord's rear. One can't be mad at that. The Sonata's rear looks really good. And before I hear alot of shit about looks being subjective, I know. I'm always the one who brings it up first. That said, for a safe design that seems to appeal to alot of peopl (I've seen them all over in my area), I think it's an attractive car.

Old 10-26-2005, 12:17 AM
Safety Car

That's what the fuck I'm talkin' bout...
Old 10-26-2005, 01:30 AM
Drifting

i love how beautifully that car has been done. cant wait til what the aftermarket companies over here are gonna come up with! its definitly the nicest sportiest sedan that hyundai has come up with. so much better than the sports coupe, tiburon too.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:15 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
One thing I noticed is that the Azera has FLAT seats! That's something I also hated about the Avalon. Are those cars meant for fat people who couldn't fit their huge planet size asses into the seats? Otherwise good job. I'm concerned about the handling though with that gigantic 3.8L in the front.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:00 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by youngTL
One thing I noticed is that the Azera has FLAT seats! That's something I also hated about the Avalon. Are those cars meant for fat people who couldn't fit their huge planet size asses into the seats? Otherwise good job. I'm concerned about the handling though with that gigantic 3.8L in the front.
The difference between a 3.5L and a 3.8L could be negligible if done correctly.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:27 AM
Safety Car

I'm concerned about the handling though with that gigantic 3.8L in the front.
3.8L is a large six, but it's not so big the car will lumber around, or impede road worthiness. Buick's 3800 has worked well in large cars for years. This 3.8L's based on the Sonata's new 3.3L V6, which is a smooth engine. Something tells me this car will be a very comfortable cruiser (which is the aim, ofcourse), as is the Avalon.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:52 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
not bad looking, the interior has def improved
Old 10-26-2005, 10:34 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Perhaps....but also for the "elderly" who have a hard time getting in & out of "bucket" type seats. (See Buicks and Oldsmobiles)
Old 10-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by titan
I'm not saying it's unattractive. But my argument has been, and still is, that Hyundai can do better than that. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and the worst form of innovation.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
That's not a bad looking car inside or out. It's a very safe design and it'll sell real well for Hyundai
Old 10-26-2005, 04:07 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and the worst form of innovation.
You can afford to innovate when you have the world by the balls. When you're just about to be let in the game as an equal for the first time, it's not in the best interests of the corporation to take chances and bomb. Establish a reputation and then they can take chances (like BMW with Bangle).
Old 10-26-2005, 05:09 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hyundai has been very successful. if i was hyundai CEO, i wouldn't change a damn thing right now. they are growing faster than my 14 year old nephew.

and it's only a matter of time hyundai will introduce something like this

Old 10-26-2005, 07:22 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by charliemike
You can afford to innovate when you have the world by the balls. When you're just about to be let in the game as an equal for the first time, it's not in the best interests of the corporation to take chances and bomb. Establish a reputation and then they can take chances (like BMW with Bangle).
Exactly my point. Hyundai's in no position to start taking design chances. It's following Toyota's wildly successful (20 yrs. ago when they started out) of making inexpensive cars with great quality (well, atleast recently) that are safe designs. They've moved to plan b and are now copying the leader's designs (and improving them in some cases). They're doing what the know will work, and it's working.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hyundai launches Azera at $24,995 - - By Greg Migliore - - Source: Automotive News

Hyundai Motor America is selling its flagship 2006 Azera at $24,995 when it arrives in showrooms in late November and early December.

The full-sized sedan will come standard with a 3.8-liter V-6 engine rated at 263 hp, electronic stability control and eight airbags. Hyundai said the car gets 19 mpg in city driving and 28 on the highway.

The Azera replaces the smaller XG350 in Hyundai's lineup, which started at $25,494. Built on a modified Sonata platform, the Azera will vie in the full-sized car segment, against such competitors as the Toyota Avalon and Ford Five Hundred.

The Azera Limited trim level starts at $27,495 and adds 17-inch alloy wheels, leather trimmed and heated seats and a power rear sunshade.

The top trim level, called the Azera Limited with Ultimate Package, starts at $29,995. It features a 10-speaker audio system, six-disc CD changer, power sunroof, telescopic steering column and rain-sensing wipers.

All prices include shipping.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Racer

great pricing...especially limited with ultimate package
Old 11-26-2005, 03:15 PM
Banned

When Better Buicks are built ... Toyota AND Hyundai will build them? oh.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:22 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Hyundai builds a better car, and then sells it for less than the previous model it replaces?!?!?!
GENIUS! These guys are on a non-stop roll!
Old 11-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Safety Car

... look forward to seeing it in person.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Great pricing especially when you consider the transaction cost will be significantly less. Might be the perfect time to buy a Korean car, when the transaction costs are still low before the average Joe realizes how good they have become. The only reason not to buy a Korean make now is if you plan to sell it after only a couple of years and get hit with the still quick depreciation.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Hyundai Motor America is selling its flagship 2006 Azera at $24,995 when it arrives in showrooms in late November and early December.

The full-sized sedan will come standard with a 3.8-liter V-6 engine rated at 263 hp, electronic stability control and eight airbags. Hyundai said the car gets 19 mpg in city driving and 28 on the highway.

The Azera replaces the smaller XG350 in Hyundai's lineup, which started at $25,494. Built on a modified Sonata platform, the Azera will vie in the full-sized car segment, against such competitors as the Toyota Avalon and Ford Five Hundred.

The Azera Limited trim level starts at $27,495 and adds 17-inch alloy wheels, leather trimmed and heated seats and a power rear sunshade.

The top trim level, called the Azera Limited with Ultimate Package, starts at $29,995. It features a 10-speaker audio system, six-disc CD changer, power sunroof, telescopic steering column and rain-sensing wipers.

All prices include shipping.
Sound remarkably like the new Mitsubishi Eclipse.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Safety Car

^ That's pretty good pricing. It's completely loaded at $30K, while the main competition (Avalon,Maxima) has a few thousand more to go before they max out.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Hyundai builds a better car, and then sells it for less than the previous model it replaces?!?!?!
GENIUS! These guys are on a non-stop roll!
yes! perfectly executed!

hyundai definitly stepping up in the market. and bringing some real competition! looks like hyundai is gonna beat what the japanese automakers started. cant wait to see it in person.. plus, wonder how the elantra, accent, and the tibby is going to improve in the upcoming years.. cant wait!
Old 12-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Safety Car

http://www.hyundaiazera.com/

Probably be a decent car to pick up used after the initial drop off in value.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by heyitsme
http://www.hyundaiazera.com/

Probably be a decent car to pick up used after the initial drop off in value.
Lease it

Quick Reply: Hyundai: Azera/Grandeur News