Honda: S2000 News

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015 | 06:42 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

K24 small turbo new body style S2000...
Y'all missed a big one that Mazda addressed though...and I KNOW it'll probably bump to 3000 pounds with it...

but fucking hard top convertible please.
Old 12-08-2015 | 06:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Acura sucks. Honda isn't bad.

I mean, we can turn this into a 6000 page hatefest, or we can be happy that Honda is considering making a follow up car and hope it will be good. I'm tired of all the NSX misery. As long as this s2000 isn't delayed six times over, then there shouldn't be much of a problem.

However, saying that an s2000 with a hybrid system isn't an s2000 is a bit much. If it is light, compact, a convertible, RWD, manual and screams to redline, then yes, it is an s2000. NA performance is dead. We've maxed out what can be done with the technology available to us. It's time to move on.

All it sounds like is that up you want a 1G s2000 wrapped up in a new body. That's kind of lame.
Fair points. Again people who run a $100 billion dollar company probably knows what they are doing....

But to your last sentence...you know I've been wondering why automakers have to feel like they gotta change styling every few years. Some years they hit it GREAT with styling but its never to be back again....perfect example is the 3G TL.

So if they could offer classic timeless stying...BUT with modern underbody drivetrain/motor......
Old 12-08-2015 | 06:51 PM

If you never change it up though, eventually your line up will be bland and look outdated.
The MAIN reason you know they did something special with the 3G is it still looks relevant today!
Old 12-08-2015 | 06:51 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
No if it was up to me, below is the spec and Honda has the capability to do it. It is new but still retain the characteristic of what makes S2000 so special.

The must:
7mt and DCT option
under 3000 lbs
2 seater convertible
K24 that can rev to 8.5-9k - 270hp (since Honda loves their K24 so much)
RWD

Optional:
a tiny turbo with K24 - 300-330hp

It does not need batteries. so far it has not been proven to be something that attracts customers for a mass produced cars in any brand.
Right, so you want the same car, with a different transmission.

By the way, FI is totally "not s2000" also. Yet you're ok with it, but not ok with a small electric motor.
Old 12-08-2015 | 06:52 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rockstar143
K24 small turbo new body style S2000...
Y'all missed a big one that Mazda addressed though...and I KNOW it'll probably bump to 3000 pounds with it...

but fucking hard top convertible please.
I would prefer a hardtop too but the reality is the from the top and the motor will make it into a pig.

So i am ok with anything, as long as i don't have to reach back by hand to pull the top back on when it rains.
Old 12-08-2015 | 06:54 PM
Team Owner

Honda won't build a k24 that revs to 9k. Keep dreaming.
The following users liked this post:
Costco (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015 | 06:55 PM

then another 2004 AP2 is for you then, oowin!!!
Old 12-08-2015 | 06:58 PM
Team Owner

Right, so you want the same car, with a different transmission.

By the way, FI is totally "not s2000" also. Yet you're ok with it, but not ok with a small electric motor.
A K24 that can rev up to 9k is new. It is probably the newest thing Honda has in a long time, next to the new Civic Type R.

And we can all agree that the engineering that Honda would have to put into to make it reliable is more attractive than any FI or hybrid.

S2000 was never about HP or acceleration.

as far as FI, that is why it is optional. I will be thrilled if it does not have turbo.

With turbo at least it does not run out like battery or at certain speed. While it adds weight but not nearly as much as battery.

Also with Hybrid, is it going to be a plug in (Volt, i8) type of Hybrid or a Prius Hybrid?
Old 12-08-2015 | 06:59 PM
Team Owner

then another 2004 AP2 is for you then, oowin!!!
I think we have already established that....
Old 12-08-2015 | 07:00 PM
Team Owner

Honda won't build a k24 that revs to 9k. Keep dreaming.
That is why i said if it was up to me... Not Honda.
Old 12-08-2015 | 07:16 PM

don't be a dick!
NO s2000 for YOOUUUUU #soupnazivoice
Old 12-08-2015 | 08:28 PM

You will get the same reaction if Ford put some battery in their Mustang, Chevy to their Camaro or Corvette or any cars that are focused to certain buyers.
You mean like when they put IRS in the Camaro and Mustang after decades of solid axle rears? Apples and oranges, yes. There are pros and cons to both, but the pros outweigh the cons, depending on the target demographic. My point is that things were a certain way for a long time (solid axle vs IRS).

Now you have the GTI, WRX, 3x Ecoboost Fords, Mini Cooper S, Genesis, etc. Even the Civic Type-R is turbocharged now. Today's automotive landscape is much different than it was 15 years ago. I can't think of any sporty cars under $30k that were supercharged/turbocharged from the factory in 2000.

They may not call it an S2000 at all, yeah. People already complain about the FR-S not having a turbo. The twins and the Miata are about the last two affordable sports cars out there. How far can they push the envelope N/A while staying competitive, both in price and power?

It's going to be F/I or hybrid and I would be happy if they released any kind of 2-door sports car at all.
The following 2 users liked this post by Costco:
EL19 (12-10-2015), TacoBello (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015 | 10:54 PM
Team Owner

^thats what I meant. Costco just said it much better than me.
Old 12-09-2015 | 11:28 AM
Team Owner

don't be a dick!
NO s2000 for YOOUUUUU #soupnazivoice
at this rate, It is more likely i will never come across the s2000 i wanted being in So cal.

There is no "down time" here in the s2000 market.
Old 12-09-2015 | 11:46 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Costco
You mean like when they put IRS in the Camaro and Mustang after decades of solid axle rears? Apples and oranges, yes. There are pros and cons to both, but the pros outweigh the cons, depending on the target demographic. My point is that things were a certain way for a long time (solid axle vs IRS).

Now you have the GTI, WRX, 3x Ecoboost Fords, Mini Cooper S, Genesis, etc. Even the Civic Type-R is turbocharged now. Today's automotive landscape is much different than it was 15 years ago. I can't think of any sporty cars under $30k that were supercharged/turbocharged from the factory in 2000.

They may not call it an S2000 at all, yeah. People already complain about the FR-S not having a turbo. The twins and the Miata are about the last two affordable sports cars out there. How far can they push the envelope N/A while staying competitive, both in price and power?

It's going to be F/I or hybrid and I would be happy if they released any kind of 2-door sports car at all.
If they do not call it s2000 or s2200 or any S2000 related names. I am perfectly ok with that. A baby NSX at 50k will be nice.

But if they did call it a s2000, then I along with many current and previous s2000 owners will have certain expectations since we are their targeted group. These expectations are built from what made us love the s2000 in the first place. Changes and improvements are good and needed but they should not change the fundamental core of what made a s2000, a s2000 in the first place.

Use your example of Accord Ecoboost, i mean Mustang. While the turbo and V6 are available, most of us could agree the V8 is still the one to get if price is not being considered. That is because that is what Mustang, I mean the Accord is known for. Now if Ford eliminates the V8 and V6 and kept the 4 banger only for Mustang, then you will see similar reaction from the Mustang community.

Now N/A vs. Turbo vs. Hybrid.

My last and current car is Turbo, so i have nothing against turbo. So like i said earlier, I am ok with a turbo s2000 as long as it is a tiny one without lag but i would prefer N/A s2000 if it was up to me.

Now the hybrid, except for the super high tech exotics, the Market has rejected most, if not all Hybrid Sports or performance cars.
Old 12-09-2015 | 11:52 AM

Ain't gonna happen, look at the travesty of the 2nd gen NSX.

I don't see any thing from the legacy of the 1G NSX in it
Old 12-09-2015 | 12:00 PM
Team Owner

yah that is what i am expecting to see too if Honda/Acura actually releases the 2 seater convertible.

But that is not going to stop my bitching
Old 12-09-2015 | 12:14 PM
Team Owner

But if they did call it a s2000, then I along with many current and previous s2000 owners will have certain expectations since we are their targeted group. These expectations are built from what made us love the s2000 in the first place. Changes and improvements are good and needed but they should not change the fundamental core of what made a s2000, a s2000 in the first place.
Actually, no, current and previous owners are not necessarily the targeted group at all. Anyone with 40-50k, wanting a fun car is the targeted group. Just because you owned a new s2000 10+ years ago, doesn't mean Honda is targeting you at all. You sold the car and moved on. Like many people who end up having kids, or getting older and want something softer, or more practical, or etc, etc.

If Honda was targeting previous and current owners, it would likely have some sort of incentive program to get those same people to buy again. Honda isn't even doing that with the NSX. It's been too long in both cases to do so, to make sense. Let's not forget that many current owners are used market owners, not original purchasers, which makes Honda care even less about those people.

Honda had the s600 and s800, but both the s800 and the s600 came in convertible and fastback bodies. There isn't even a solid history with regards to the car always being a convertible.
EL19 (12-10-2015)
Old 12-09-2015 | 01:03 PM
Team Owner

Actually, no, current and previous owners are not necessarily the targeted group at all. Anyone with 40-50k, wanting a fun car is the targeted group. Just because you owned a new s2000 10+ years ago, doesn't mean Honda is targeting you at all. You sold the car and moved on. Like many people who end up having kids, or getting older and want something softer, or more practical, or etc, etc.

If Honda was targeting previous and current owners, it would likely have some sort of incentive program to get those same people to buy again. Honda isn't even doing that with the NSX. It's been too long in both cases to do so, to make sense. Let's not forget that many current owners are used market owners, not original purchasers, which makes Honda care even less about those people.

Honda had the s600 and s800, but both the s800 and the s600 came in convertible and fastback bodies. There isn't even a solid history with regards to the car always being a convertible.
Correction. i have had 2 s2000 until 2 years ago and I have no problem buying 1 today if i can find one. I have not moved on as i am still actively looking for 1.

NSX is considered their Halo car and based on the allocation number, it is not an unit seller.

"S2000" on the other hand has to be able to sell certain units and i would assume Honda or Acura's would take a different approach to market and sell it from NSX.

As far as Who is going to be their new "s2000" buyers at $40K+?

I think it will be the people:
- previous owners who bought Ap1/Ap2
- people who wanted to be Ap1/Ap2 but could not afford it at the time but now they could
- previous Miata owners.

Not all, but I would assume a big chunk of the customers will be someone who is related directly or indirectly to a s2000 and it will still be a very niche market for someone to spend $40k on a Honda + 2 seats + convertible. Honda better has something that will "Retain" these customers and i don't think battery is what these people want.
Old 12-09-2015 | 04:44 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by RedRyder
Not going with the old formula is a mistake when it comes to what made the s2k famous in the first place, and what gear heads loved it for. But it’s not a mistake when it comes to selling it in today’s market.To be competitive now, it has to reflect the tech and safety features found in what will be its competition.There are infinitely more non-enthusiasts than enthusiasts out there, most cars are made to appeal to the masses on some level to secure the sales that justify making the car. So they can’t just resurrect an old car, and it still be a dinosaur even though that’swhat many people would love.

That said, if I was in the market for an s2k, all I would want was updated styling, a few of the modern day conveniences, a power increase, and a 6 or 7 speed manual transmission. Keep it light, keep it simple, keep it a driver's car. I don’t want driver AIDS, distracting infotainment, social network connectivity, start/stop, etc. But I’m a purist, which is not easy in today’s world.
+1

The things that make the S2000 special are not possible in today's world and current sales market. Selling a car that doesn't have an infotainment system is sales suicide. Even the Miata has one.

Originally Posted by Mizouse
I'd love a tilting and telescoping steering wheel.

Ohh and a button to unlock the passenger side door
There is one...

on the keyless entry fob.

I think we would be lucky to see something like you mentioned. However, Honda won't replicate what it did 15 years ago with this car. The only way you're getting more torque down low is if you increase displacement or go FI, or cutting down that rev limit. The first two add weight, the last kills the fun. Otherwise a hybrid with a small electric motor could fit that bill, between the engine and transmission, like on the NSX.

Regardless of what Honda decides on for power train and drivetrain, I highly doubt it will suck. Honda knows all too well how important that car is. As much as we bash the NSX, it really delivers on what enthusiasts asked for, at least for the most part.
What enthusiasts asked for is a successor to the NSX. All we've received are a bunch of pictures of a car that looks cool. That's about it.

Originally Posted by Mizouse
Well if they can get it to be fun to drive, why not?

The 918, P1 and LaFerrari look fun to drive?
Hybrid is heavy. All of those cars offset the heavy with lightweight structures. Lightweight structures are expensive.

Neither of those criteria are going to work for a Honda/Acura that people will actually buy in a decent volume.

But then again... Apparently the new civic is larger than the outgoing model, has FI and is lighter... Hmmm...

I guess Honda could do it if they implement more aluminum. CF is likely too expensive and will be reserved for the NSX only. But still... That probably adds to the price, I'd imagine.
\

Modern materials and manufacturing methods have progressed quite a ways from when the S2000 was initially designed. High strength steel and aluminum really help to cut the weight and maintain rigidity. There's no need for CF anything on a car like the S2000.
Old 12-09-2015 | 04:52 PM
Team Owner

Correction. i have had 2 s2000 until 2 years ago and I have no problem buying 1 today if i can find one. I have not moved on as i am still actively looking for 1.

NSX is considered their Halo car and based on the allocation number, it is not an unit seller.

"S2000" on the other hand has to be able to sell certain units and i would assume Honda or Acura's would take a different approach to market and sell it from NSX.

As far as Who is going to be their new "s2000" buyers at $40K+?

I think it will be the people:
- previous owners who bought Ap1/Ap2
- people who wanted to be Ap1/Ap2 but could not afford it at the time but now they could
- previous Miata owners.

Not all, but I would assume a big chunk of the customers will be someone who is related directly or indirectly to a s2000 and it will still be a very niche market for someone to spend $40k on a Honda + 2 seats + convertible. Honda better has something that will "Retain" these customers and i don't think battery is what these people want.
Lol, let's just agree to disagree and wait until this thing comes out to see what happens
Old 12-09-2015 | 04:56 PM
Team Owner

well then we can revisit this topic in about 8 years from today.
Old 12-09-2015 | 04:58 PM
Team Owner

That soon?!
The following 2 users liked this post by TacoBello:
EL19 (12-10-2015), Mizouse (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015 | 05:00 PM
Team Owner

Well, if they do build a simple roadster, it shouldn't take that long. The NSX is essentially a massive computer with wheels that was redesigned 67 times. Hopefully they can get this thing to market in no more than 3 years.
Old 12-09-2015 | 05:06 PM
Team Owner

Can they do it in less than 3? of course? Are they going to? well you know as well as i do about the answer to that...

They have all the basic blueprints already.

Chassis - revised and updated AP2
Engiine - CTR turbo engine or K24 with battery or even CRZ+ Turbo
DCT/6mt - already in place

But knowing Honda, they probably will throw their new 10 speed auto and some all season tires in just to fuck it up.
EL19 (12-10-2015)
Old 12-09-2015 | 05:09 PM

this is all just conjecture...
Costco (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015 | 05:11 PM
Team Owner

I think that is all we can talk about considering what they actually have in the US....

There is only so much hate we can produce on ILX, TLX, RLX and NSX.
Old 12-09-2015 | 05:15 PM

Good point, hahahahahaa...
in other news...upper 60's feel glorious rowing tow work. You hurry up and buy one, oono...even if it's across country. Shiet, if you find one in Sofla I'll even go check it out for you.
Old 12-09-2015 | 05:26 PM
Team Owner

I am just waiting on Fate... if one come cross my way, I will grab it... like um... someone who sold theirs for 16k..... with low mileage...

I am done searching already. it is depressing every time i see the prices.
Old 12-09-2015 | 05:26 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Can they do it in less than 3? of course? Are they going to? well you know as well as i do about the answer to that...

They have all the basic blueprints already.

Chassis - revised and updated AP2
Engiine - CTR turbo engine or K24 with battery or even CRZ+ Turbo
DCT/6mt - already in place

But knowing Honda, they probably will throw their new 10 speed auto and some all season tires in just to fuck it up.
Hmm I think the AP2 chassis might need some serious work....

I believe its torsional rigidity is like 7100Nm/deg. Ap2 is like 10% stiffer, so may be 8000Nm/deg.

That's pretty damn good back in the days.
Sebring convertible: 4400Nm/deg
BMW Z3 : 5,600 Nm/deg
Ferrari F360 spider: 8500Nm//deg
03 Mustang Vert: 4800Nm/Deg

Those numbers however are not that impressive nowadays:

05 Mustang Vert: 9500Nm/Deg
BMW Z4 M Coupe : 32,000 Nm/deg
Audi TT : 10,000 Nm/deg
Pagani Zonda Roadster - 18000 Nm/deg
Mercedes Benz SL (top down) - 17000 Nm/deg
Aston Martin DB9 Convertible - 15500 Nm/deg
Old 12-09-2015 | 05:28 PM

Curious, but at some point is it overkill?
Old 12-09-2015 | 05:31 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iforyou

I believe its torsional rigidity is like 7100Nm/deg. Ap2 is like 10% stiffer, so may be 8000Nm/deg.

Everything on that list will need some work... but the basics are there.
and if the new S2000 is what it is supposed to be, it does not have to reach as far as a freaking Pagani...
Old 12-09-2015 | 05:32 PM
Team Owner

Curious, but at some point is it overkill?
Honda would not know.... they never overkill... but always came short.
Old 12-09-2015 | 05:33 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iforyou

Funny enough, I dunno how the new Miata is, but all three previous generations were like wet noodles compared to the s2000. Chassis braces are a must, and even then, I dunno how much they help.

Look at the cars you listed though. All of them, save for the 05 mustang are much more expensive cars. That does ultimately play an effect into the chassis stiffness.
Old 12-09-2015 | 06:10 PM

I don't think they came short for what I use the car for.
Old 12-10-2015 | 09:15 AM
Ex-OEM King

I think the S2000 is stiff enough for the weight (or lack thereof) it carries. There's no cowl shake and minimal body roll as it is. All of the cars that were mentioned are quite a lot heavier than the S2000 and have different engine placements, cabin placements, etc... In the case of the Zonda, it isn't even built out of metal and a CF tub is a sh1t ton more stiff than any metal would be.

It's not all a numbers game, it's about a proper design for the desired function.
Old 12-10-2015 | 02:58 PM

That was what I said, but put more eloquently...
Old 12-10-2015 | 03:00 PM
Team Owner

I don't think they came short for what I use the car for.
Well yeah, the chassis stiffness is already overkill for just taking photos of the car
Costco (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015 | 03:02 PM

why you little **homer voice**
TacoBello (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015 | 06:06 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Hahha well those are numbers for convertibles. Nowadays, a lot of coupes (or non converts) are like 20000Nm/deg.

The closest competitor to the S2k is the Z4 (not sure which year), which is at 14000Nm/deg.

Quick Reply: Honda: S2000 News