AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Honda: Insight News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/honda-insight-news-333929/)

biker 03-11-2009 05:12 AM

Like the current stock market, you just can't predict the sales of this thing.

Moog-Type-S 03-11-2009 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by charliemike (Post 10624620)
Clarkson got 50mpg in a Jag. The 1.3L Polo diesel Hamster drove did over 70mpg real world.

Hell, Clarkson did 800+ miles on 20 gals of diesel in an A8 hypermiling.

Bottom line is that gasoline hybrids are stupid technology. The gas engines aren't economical enough and the electric part doesn't run often enough.

Lose/Lose and $5k more than a comparable car? No thanks!

:agree:
The future is in diesel or better yet petrol engines that "function" like a diesel engine. These engines are coming soon....see BMW & VW.

Cheap gasoline fuel cost + diesel mileage = WINNER!

Belzebutt 03-11-2009 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal (Post 10622411)
$19,800 + market adjustment by dealers. :rolleyes:

Before my wife and I decided what car we were gonna get we went to Diamond Bar Honda to look at the Honda Fit. We really liked it but when looked at the sticker it was priced about $2K more than what MSRP was. So I talked to the salesman about it. They said that the market for them is higher, which at that point I stated, is that why you have so many of them on the lot that haven't moved? Needless to say, we walked away with them full knowing we never intend to buy a car from them, evar.

I was talking to a sales guy at the local Audi dealership, and he was telling me how the Q5 is sold out for the next few months due to huge demand.

I asked him "do you ever sell the cars over MSRP?" and he looked at me like "WTF?" and said "no way, that's unethical and probably against the law".

:shrug:

Are there local laws governing MSRP?

Moog-Type-S 03-11-2009 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Belzebutt (Post 10627815)
I was talking to a sales guy at the local Audi dealership, and he was telling me how the Q5 is sold out for the next few months due to huge demand.

I asked him "do you ever sell the cars over MSRP?" and he looked at me like "WTF?" and said "no way, that's unethical and probably against the law".

Not that I am aware of.....that's why it's called Mfg. "suggested" retail price.

There is no firm price on vehicles...only a suggested price.

charliemike 03-11-2009 02:01 PM

There might be but not in Maryland that I know of. The Dealer associations are pretty powerful lobbying groups.

TMQ 03-11-2009 07:10 PM

Most people will probably buy the EX version. LX is just there to say the price is less than 20K. The contents for the EX warrants the extra $.

iforyou 03-11-2009 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S (Post 10627073)
:agree:
The future is in diesel or better yet petrol engines that "function" like a diesel engine. These engines are coming soon....see BMW & VW.

Cheap gasoline fuel cost + diesel mileage = WINNER!

You mean HCCI?

dom 03-11-2009 08:52 PM

It IS illegal to sell over MSRP in Canada.

Sarlacc 03-11-2009 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by dom (Post 10629803)
It IS illegal to sell over MSRP in Canada.

Youre lucky on that front.

You have dealers that wont add a "surcharge" because they are ethical people.

Some have no shame.

And then you have Lexus...who keeps an eye on their dealers and wont allow them.

dom 03-17-2009 09:09 PM

From TOV..Unconfirmed.

Hi Jeff,

I read a few minutes ago that the Insight will be priced in Canada at $25,570 for the LX, $27,450 for the EX and $29,695 for the EX with navi.

I was expecting someting like $22,995 for the LX so I am a little disapointed...

Share this information with your readers!

Martin, a reader from Montreal

:rofl:

And :rip: to Insight sales in Canada if true.

biker 03-25-2009 07:42 AM

SUZUKA, Japan (Dow Jones)--Honda Motor Co. (7267.TO) would have to consider counter measures if Toyota Motor Corp. (7203.TO) sets competitive prices for its Prius hybrid as recently reported, a company executive said Wednesday.

Honda launched its new Insight hybrid in February in Japan and is rolling out the model in the U.S. and other overseas countries.

The company has received orders that were more than triple the hybrid's monthly sales target a month after its Feb. 6 launch in Japan as the prices, which are lower than those of the current Prius, attracted customers looking for cheaper gas-sipping car amid the economic slump.

Yasuhiro Wada, a Honda general manager, said the company continues to receive solid orders for the Insight. As of Monday, orders for the new hybrid totaled more than 21,000 in Japan, more than four times the model's monthly sales target of 5,000.

Honda set the lower limit on Insight's prices at Y1.89 million, about 20% cheaper than the bottom price of the current Prius.

The Nikkei recently reported that Toyota will set the prices of the new Prius at Y2.05 million-Y2.50 million, lower than the current Y2.33 million-Y3.34 million and when it launches the new model it will also continue to sell the current one by lowering the bottom price to Y1.89 million to compete with the Insight.

"If they could do that, it would be a threat," Norio Ano, the head of the Insight product project, said at a press conference.

"We would have to consider something" to stay competitive, he said.

He added that Honda executives would order Ano and his team members to further cut costs if the report is true.

Toyota has said nothing has been decided on the prices of the new Prius and whether to continue to sell the current Prius.

dom 03-25-2009 07:57 AM

Toyowned.

TSX69 03-25-2009 01:59 PM

Yaris

Following several reports that surfaced earlier this month, Toyota has confirmed it is readying an all-new hybrid model to take on Honda’s Insight. The new hybrid model will be based on the Yaris and slot below the Prius in price and amenities.

The Prius was the former king of the entry-level hybrid segment, but Honda has stolen that crown with its new Insight. The third-generation Prius – which should begin rolling into Toyota showrooms in just a few weeks – is larger in every dimension compared to the current car – including price. Toyota is hopeful the new model will address those concerns.

“We are developing a low-priced hybrid vehicle like Honda’s Insight,” Akihiko Otsuka, chief engineer of the redesigned, third-generation Toyota Prius, told Automotive News. “We are going to compete by expanding our hybrid-vehicle lineup to smaller hybrids, in the class of the Vitz and Yaris.”

Otsuka failed to give a timeframe for the new model but Japan’s Nikkei newspaper suggests the new car could be on the market as early as 2011.

It remains unclear what body type Toyota will use for the new model – the Yaris is available as both a hatch and sedan – but it seems likely that more than one variant will get the green light. A Prius-inspired four-door seems like a sure bet but, with Honda readying a hybrd version of its Fit hatchback, a five-door hatch could also be in the cards.

Moog-Type-S 03-25-2009 02:56 PM

...and Toyota returns the volley

tegkid 03-25-2009 03:23 PM

are people already preordering this car in the US?

taitando 03-25-2009 03:34 PM

The car is already out at major Honda dealers. It was released this past weekend for dealers to begin sales. I don't think most dealers are budging from MSRP since it's so new.

And with the 2010 Prius set for release soon, the 2009 Prius should see some major discounting considering the competition for the Insight. It's a hearty "F U" to the Toyota dealers who were selling the Prius for $1k to $2k over MSRP during last summer's sky high gas prices.

The Insight in today's car market is a great thing for potential hybrid owners. There should be good deals on Civic Hybrids now too.

Yumcha 03-27-2009 12:39 AM

The Insight commercial...very neat. :ibhateandvenomcuzitisHonda:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lyknI5_Wcqs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&featur e=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lyknI5_Wcqs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&featur e=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

biker 03-27-2009 05:23 AM

A little too "left coast" for my taste. :toocool:

phee 03-27-2009 10:56 AM

^thats their target. the hippies on the left

JS + XES 03-27-2009 11:48 AM

a very nice commercial.

tegkid 03-27-2009 02:47 PM

really? theyre advertising it is a cheaper alternative hybrid?

this car is better than the prius and cheaper. don't need to advertise it as just a cheaper hybrid.
especially if the yaris hybrid comes out. then what does honda say?

invisiblewar 03-27-2009 02:53 PM

theyll worry about that when it happens

iforyou 05-12-2009 01:45 AM

Insight Becomes First Hybrid Vehicle to Rank as Best-Selling Vehicle in Japan

I read this from Temple of VTEC and I don't think anyone has mentioned this here yet:

Insight Becomes First Hybrid Vehicle to Rank as Best-Selling Vehicle* in Japan

TOKYO, Japan, May 11, 2009 - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced that Insight ranked as the industry's best-selling car among new vehicle registrations* in Japan for the month of April 2009, with sales of 10,481 units (source: Japan Automobile Dealers Association). It is the first time in history for a hybrid model to be the industry's best selling vehicle in Japan for any monthly sales period.

Fit was the industry's best-selling car among new vehicle registrations in Japan for calendar year 2008 and the fiscal year ended March 31, 2009. Fit was also the industry's best-selling car for the month of March 2009, for the fourth consecutive month since December 2008, until it was displaced by Insight to become the industry's second best-selling car in April 2009, with sales of 9,443 units. It is the first time Honda has occupied the industry's top two best-selling car positions.

Since its introduction on February 6, 2009, the all-new Insight has been very well received by a wide range of customers due to its excellent environmental performance, easy-to-use packaging, light and comfortable driving and affordable pricing.

* excluding mini-vehicles - under 660cc

Insight sales in Japan (source: Japan Automobile Dealers Association)
Sales of Insight was announced February 5, 2009, and began February 6, 2009

Source: http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=831501

iforyou 05-13-2009 06:44 PM

Any thought?

JS + XES 05-13-2009 07:28 PM

nice?

VTEC Racer 05-13-2009 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by iforyou (Post 10896310)
Any thought?

It's kind of hard to think of a logical complaint about this news, hence the lack of responses. :thumbsup:

I think it is great news. It has done something that the Prius has NEVER been able to do.

CL6 05-14-2009 12:40 AM

Not on a SMART car.

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S (Post 10627910)
Not that I am aware of.....that's why it's called Mfg. "suggested" retail price.

There is no firm price on vehicles...only a suggested price.

iforyou 05-14-2009 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer (Post 10896974)
It's kind of hard to think of a logical complaint about this news, hence the lack of responses. :thumbsup:

I think it is great news. It has done something that the Prius has NEVER been able to do.

lol...that's what I thought...well actually...I was expecting someone will say, "those people who bought the insight aren't very smart considering you can get the Fit for much less."....haha

Edward'TLS 05-14-2009 02:20 AM

Brand new models are always very popular when they first come out. After the "first car on the block" effect has worn out, we can then see how well the car will actually do.

iforyou 05-14-2009 09:01 PM

I agree. So it's interesting to me that the Insight didn't become the best selling car in February when it first came out. And in March, it actually fell! But then in April, it suddenly jumped from 4000 units to over 10000 units. Let's just hope this trend will continue.

phile 05-14-2009 09:07 PM

maybe production finally caught up? I have seen maybe 2 new Insights in my travels.

iforyou 05-14-2009 11:58 PM

Either production is still limited, or the Insight just isn't doing so well in the States. I mean, it's the best selling car in Japan, not US right. Gas isn't that expensive in the States as far as I know, but it's still pretty expensive in Canada...unfortunately for me....

CocheseUGA 05-15-2009 07:22 AM

Saw my first one yesterday. Surprisingly good looking car.

Moog-Type-S 06-05-2009 01:11 PM

Prius unseats Insight as best-seller in Japan

Originally Posted by iforyou (Post 10889120)
I read this from Temple of VTEC and I don't think anyone has mentioned this here yet:

Source: http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=831501

The Honda Insight’s reign as the best-selling vehicle in Japan lasted only a month, as Toyota’s redesigned Prius captured the hearts - and wallets - of more Japanese buyers last month than any other car. The Prius, on its first month for sale in its domestic market, sold an impressive 10,915 units last month.

That compares favorably to the 10,481 Insights Honda sold in April. Honda still takes the title of having the first hybrid to top the monthly sales charts in Japan.

The Insight slid to third place - topped by Honda’s non-hybrid Fit.

Japan’s government tax breaks for hybrids are proving to be a successful incentive in showrooms.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/prius-un...tml#more-18611

:chuckle: The Fit sells more than the Insight....I guess the Japanese are smart too going with the Fit versus the Insight.

iforyou 06-06-2009 03:02 AM

pretty close though, ~8800 vs 8200 ;)

Belzebutt 06-08-2009 12:09 PM

My dad is hesitating between this one and the Prius. I tell him get the Prius because you can get a lot more upscale features like the keyless ignition, leather, HID lights, etc. I haven't seen the new Prius yet but based on the old one I expect the interior to feel more upscale than the Insight.

Moog-Type-S 06-08-2009 12:48 PM

^^ The Prius is more "plush". The Insight is more "budget".

Jeremy Clarkson on Honda Insight: Possibly the worst new car money can buy
:chuckle:
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/05...t-new-car-mon/

TMQ 06-08-2009 04:01 PM

Insight gets terrible reviews for the seats. Anyone who tests them please chime in.

Belzebutt 06-08-2009 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S (Post 10986322)
^^ The Prius is more "plush". The Insight is more "budget".

:chuckle:
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/05...t-new-car-mon/

Yeah I read this, pretty funny. :)

Unfortunately Range Rovers aren't made close to my dad's house. :D

iforyou 06-08-2009 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Belzebutt (Post 10986147)
My dad is hesitating between this one and the Prius. I tell him get the Prius because you can get a lot more upscale features like the keyless ignition, leather, HID lights, etc. I haven't seen the new Prius yet but based on the old one I expect the interior to feel more upscale than the Insight.

From what I've read the Insight seems to be pretty fun to drive car considering it's a hybrid.