AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Honda: Insight News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/honda-insight-news-333929/)

S A CHO 03-09-2006 08:55 AM

Honda: Insight News

The Insight was North Americas first hybrid car, I dont know the selling numbers, but I havent seen ONE on the roads, and they have been for sale since 2001... I think if they improved the looks a little bit, but kept that small car design, it would do alright...I dont like how the rear wheels are covered and dont think it looks exciting at all... What are your opinions on this car? Should Honda scrap the Insight?

And if you dont know what it is, this is it:

http://www.in.gr/auto/cartechnology/...Insight_06.jpg

SakiGT 03-09-2006 09:02 AM

I think its adorable...but its slow as crap and people are buying them for ridiculous prices b/c they are a "hybrid."

Stick a normal 1.8 liter in that two seater and Id buy it. It would probably be hella fuel efficient without this expensive battery and price increase.

S A CHO 03-09-2006 09:08 AM

Starts at 19 000 and goes up to 21 000.... Too much money for such a small car, indeed...

F23A4 03-09-2006 09:11 AM

I've seen a few. However, I spend a lot of time in Princeton (NJ): tree hugger capitol of New Jersey. Despite its "sporty" looks, I understand that it handles no better than a box truck.

65 Fury Convert 03-09-2006 09:14 AM

I've seen a few of these - what's the mileage on these?

Deity711 03-09-2006 09:19 AM

I've seen a few, but what I don't understand is why Honda is keeping this car on the market when the Civic Hybrid is a better car in almost every category.

Ashburner 03-09-2006 09:23 AM

It's ugly as sin... I've seen a few on the road and I have to hold back the barf

S A CHO 03-09-2006 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Deity711
I've seen a few, but what I don't understand is why Honda is keeping this car on the market when the Civic Hybrid is a better car in almost every category.

Exactly!!! Now 2 of Hondas cars are competing against each other...

Speed_Racer 03-09-2006 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by S A CHO
Exactly!!! Now 2 of Hondas cars are competing against each other...

Not really. Before California changed their carpool rules to allow single drivers in hybrids it was an easy cheap way to get into the carpool because it's a 2 seater. The busiest freeways in Northern California require 3 people for the carpool lane. I see them all the time up here.

The Insight manual transmissions mileage estimate is 60 mpg city and 66 mpg highway verses the Civics 49 city/ 51 highway. Insight starts at $19,330 while the Civic starts at $21,850. Small differences but enough for people that just want a commuter car for the cheapes price possible.

It had it's purpose when it's first introduced. It's lost that luster since the Civic Hybrid came out.

anothercls 03-09-2006 09:42 AM

There was an article where they mentioned Honda having great ideas, but the way they put the ideas to market were bad. This is what happened with this car. It is great for fuel efficiency, but it is ugly, doesn't handle well, and no one was buying them. Toyota took the same concept of fuel efficiency and put together a better car in the Prius. There are waiting lists for the Prius, not sure about the Honda.

I do not understand the reason for keeping it around, unless there is some cult following and people are really going to keep buying these things. I haven't seen nor read anything about improving the underlying technology of the car since it's release.

F23A4 03-09-2006 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by anothercls
I do not understand the reason for keeping it around, unless there is some cult following and people are really going to keep buying these things. I haven't seen nor read anything about improving the underlying technology of the car since it's release.

:agree: ....or maybe leverage towards CAFE standards. :dunno:

mrdeeno 03-09-2006 11:17 AM

I think the reason the insight is a half-ass hybrid is because Honda wanted to beat toyota to market with the first hybrid.

I don't know why they wanted to be first to market...it doesn't mean jack when toyota is OWNING honda when it comes to hybrids. Not only does toyota/lex have more hybrid models, but they are also more popular.

Honda: Insight, Civic, Accord

toyota: prius, camry (fut), highlander, RX400h, GS450h, LS (fut)

n3ok318 03-09-2006 11:40 AM

actually Insight is a great car for what it's supposed to do. Although Prius is known to get about 60MPG, they only get around 45 MPG. On the other hand, Insight is also known to get about 60MPG but I seen people get over 80 or even 100MPG if driver knows how to drive one. I think it's a great little car except it looks like shit..

F23A4 03-09-2006 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by n3ok318
On the other hand, Insight is also known to get about 60MPG but I seen people get over 80 or even 100MPG if driver knows how to drive one.

I wouldnt recommend drafting behind a full sized SUV if it can be avoided. :ponder: Link

subinf 03-09-2006 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by F23A4
I wouldnt recommend drafting behind a full sized SUV if it can be avoided. :ponder: Link

hahaha i remember that article. thought it was pretty funny.

i see a ton of the insights around here, i like the civic hybrid better for looks but the insight has been around for a while and seems to hold its own...

subinf 03-09-2006 01:33 PM

oh yeah i think in the car and driver article the ford suv only got 8 mpg or something like that

te3point5 03-09-2006 01:43 PM

I don't think it's a waste of a car. It helped gauge interest in the hybrid market, to pave the way for the prius, accord hybrid, Highlander hybrid, Civic, rx400H, etc.

Dan 03-09-2006 04:03 PM

Lots on the road in SoCal and still fugly. Cars that need battery power do not sound like they would do well in a cold climate. Yosemite Nat'l Park tried electric shuttle buses a few years ago; that lasted until the first winter! They now use hybrids which seem to work well.

mrdeeno 03-09-2006 04:06 PM

don't y'all know, the insight is the cadillac of hybrids?

F23A4 07-07-2006 10:36 AM

Honda planning unique hybrid vehicle for 2009

Honda is developing a new hybrid vehicle that will arrive in 2009, according to a German Press Agency report. The automaker reportedly made the announcement to media at an event in Austria. Unlike its current offerings — including the Civic hybrid sold in the United States — the new car will not be derived from an existing model line. Instead, it will feature a unique body style and name. The report indicates it will be about 4.20 meters in length and cost 20,000 euros. No further details were given.
LINK

Looks like Honda has the Toyota Prius in its sights. Too bad the same cannot be said of Acura and the Lexus IS350. :damn:

Moog-Type-S 07-07-2006 10:54 AM

This car better be worth the purchase in terms of gas mileage over the civic and the fit.
Right now the civic hybrid is a waste of $$ for the +8 grand it costs over the civic.

phile 07-07-2006 10:59 AM

4.2 meters...isn't that kinda large? a meter is like 3 feet, right?

F23A4 07-07-2006 11:26 AM

Approximately. The proposed car is ~14 feet long, which is a little shorter than the current Prius.

biker 07-07-2006 02:38 PM

The reason that Prius has been such a success is that it doesn't have a competitor either within the Toyota lineup or in general.

For all the other hybrids the financials don't add up when you compare the hybrid vs. the gas model of the same car. The hybrid premium is not recouped by the milage gains within the typical ownership period.

Honda will try its luck at this formula. I assume this means the death of the Civic hybrid and maybe the Accord hybrid also.

Diesels should be in full swing by MY 09.

Moog-Type-S 07-07-2006 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by biker
The reason that Prius has been such a success is that it doesn't have a competitor either within the Toyota lineup or in general.

For all the other hybrids the financials don't add up when you compare the hybrid vs. the gas model of the same car. The hybrid premium is not recouped by the milage gains within the typical ownership period.

Honda will try its luck at this formula. I assume this means the death of the Civic hybrid and maybe the Accord hybrid also.

Diesels should be in full swing by MY 09.

I thought honda already said the accord hybrid was going to be discontinued?

Sly Raskal 07-07-2006 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
This car better be worth the purchase in terms of gas mileage over the civic and the fit.
Right now the civic hybrid is a waste of $$ for the +8 grand it costs over the civic.

** cough ** cough **

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...37&postcount=4

Based on my previous numbers,

Imagine if you did get the 40mpg out of the base model civic that equates to:

106,667 miles you can drive before you'd reach the $8K mark!

That's a lot of driving!

Based on both my calculations I'd still get the Base model civic over the hybrid.

Moog-Type-S 07-07-2006 04:55 PM

^^ Nice of you to toot your own horn.

phile 07-07-2006 04:58 PM

I suspect it might look something like this concept from a few years ago; it's got a nice Prius aura to it.

http://www.sawf.org/newsphotos/tokyo...cept_sedan.jpg

corey415 07-07-2006 05:51 PM

Isnt that the FCX, a fuel cell vehicle?

M TYPE X 07-07-2006 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by biker

I agree, but that's just not the Honda way.

corey415 07-07-2006 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal

Imagine if you did get the 40mpg out of the base model civic that equates to:

106,667 miles you can drive before you'd reach the $8K mark!

That's a lot of driving!

Based on both my calculations I'd still get the Base model civic over the hybrid.

That isnt really a fair comparison though. The hybrid civic has way more features than the base Civic DX sedan. Shit the base Civic DX doesnt even have AC or a radio. I believe that the Civic Hybrid is similar to the Civic EX trim. I am aware that the Civic EX comes with a moonroof and rear discs, but the Civic Hybrid also comes with exclusive side mirror turn signals and automatic climate control.

You also need to figure in either tax credits or tax deductions into your calculations.

Since I live in a metropolitan area, the fact that I can drive a Civic Hybrid by myself in the HOV/carpool lane, during rush hour, would definitely be worth the premium for me.

corey415 07-07-2006 06:05 PM

I thought honda already said the accord hybrid was going to be discontinued?

Honda said they were scaling back production of the HAH.

The way I see it, keeping the HAH as a "power hybrid (V6+IMA) " will ensure low sales. If the Toyota Camry hybrid has strong sales, I suspect the next gen HAH will be a regular hybrid (i4+IMA).

Also, I dont see why the Honda Civic Hybrid will be discontinued. Considering that the "dedicated hybrid" is to be priced lower than the current HCH, that means it wont have the feature content that the Honda Civic Hybrid offers. And hybrid owners love feature content.

Sly Raskal 07-07-2006 06:10 PM

^^ Nice of you to toot your own horn.

:toottoot:

:notfunny:

Sly Raskal 07-07-2006 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by corey415
That isnt really a fair comparison though. The hybrid civic has way more features than the base Civic DX sedan. Shit the base Civic DX doesnt even have AC or a radio. I believe that the Civic Hybrid is similar to the Civic EX trim. I am aware that the Civic EX comes with a moonroof and rear discs, but the Civic Hybrid also comes with exclusive side mirror turn signals and automatic climate control.

The EX model gets the same mileage as the base model as it states on the Honda website. It doesn't sound right to me, but I'm just going off what's on their site.

IF it is the same rating, then there still is no justification to purchase the hybrid unless 1) you do some very serious driving every year, 2) you are environmentally conscious and are willing to pay the extra money

You also need to figure in either tax credits or tax deductions into your calculations.

If everyone starting buying hybrids for the tax credits i'm sure the govt would stop issuing them unless of course they really cared about the environment and our (middle class) fuel problems. Hell, Why would auto manufacturers continue to build the base models then?

Since I live in a metropolitan area, the fact that I can drive a Civic Hybrid by myself in the HOV/carpool lane, during rush hour, would definitely be worth the premium for me.

And how much longer do you expect that priviledge is going to last if a lot of people start buying hybrids and exploiting that rule. Have you seen how bad the carpool lands are in So Cal. In some areas they are worse than the regular lanes.

vkick 07-07-2006 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by F23A4
Looks like Honda has the Toyota Prius in its sights. Too bad the same cannot be said of Acura and the Lexus IS350. :damn:

Honda is also bringing diesel powered vans, their pseudo-suvs, and truck to all 50 states. This is better than a petro-electric hybrid car.

Plus, there will be a 2007 TL Type-S with a 3.5L engine to compete again the IS350.

phile 07-07-2006 09:19 PM

Isnt that the FCX, a fuel cell vehicle?

Yes it is. But I was saying that given the measurements that closely resemble (coincidence?) the Prius, this new hybrid might look like that, cause that's the first thing that came to my mind in terms of design.

corey415 07-07-2006 11:53 PM

The EX model gets the same mileage as the base model as it states on the Honda website. It doesn't sound right to me, but I'm just going off what's on their site.

IF it is the same rating, then there still is no justification to purchase the hybrid unless 1) you do some very serious driving every year, 2) you are environmentally conscious and are willing to pay the extra money.

For the new civic, all regular trims (DX,LX, and EX) are available with the same engine (R18 SOHC i-VTEC). But my point was that comparing the DX and Hybrid trim is not an apples to apples comparison with respect to pure price difference; or at least the $8k price difference you stated.

My point was that a more realistic price comparison would be the EX and hybrid trim. See what I'm saying?

If everyone starting buying hybrids for the tax credits i'm sure the govt would stop issuing them unless of course they really cared about the environment and our (middle class) fuel problems. Hell, Why would auto manufacturers continue to build the base models then?

I could care less about the politics of it. I dont care why the tax incentives are offered; the bottom line is that they are available and they exist. Therefore, it is something to consider into the price of a hybrid.

And how much longer do you expect that priviledge is going to last if a lot of people start buying hybrids and exploiting that rule. Have you seen how bad the carpool lands are in So Cal. In some areas they are worse than the regular lanes.

I drive in congested traffic too. The Bay Area is not as bad as LA, but I can tell you for sure that even with the hybrid HOV exemption, the HOV lanes are still relatively empty. Here in the Bay Area, HOV lanes dont have double lines. So even if it is backed up you can switch lanes any time if you feel like it. It is definitely a tangible benefit.

Anyways, CA agreed to give out 75,000 permits. They have already given out 69,000, and they receive 200 applications a day. Will CA continue to give out more permits? I have no idea. But every day on my 40 mile commute one way to work, I see many a hybrid civic, prius, and the occasional insight zoom by me in the carpool lane.

Belzebutt 07-08-2006 07:53 AM

For the new civic, all regular trims (DX,LX, and EX) are available with the same engine (R18 SOHC i-VTEC). But my point was that comparing the DX and Hybrid trim is not an apples to apples comparison with respect to pure price difference; or at least the $8k price difference you stated.

My point was that a more realistic price comparison would be the EX and hybrid trim. See what I'm saying?

I could care less about the politics of it. I dont care why the tax incentives are offered; the bottom line is that they are available and they exist. Therefore, it is something to consider into the price of a hybrid.

I drive in congested traffic too. The Bay Area is not as bad as LA, but I can tell you for sure that even with the hybrid HOV exemption, the HOV lanes are still relatively empty. Here in the Bay Area, HOV lanes dont have double lines. So even if it is backed up you can switch lanes any time if you feel like it. It is definitely a tangible benefit.

Anyways, CA agreed to give out 75,000 permits. They have already given out 69,000, and they receive 200 applications a day. Will CA continue to give out more permits? I have no idea. But every day on my 40 mile commute one way to work, I see many a hybrid civic, prius, and the occasional insight zoom by me in the carpool lane.

I don't know why people insist that a hybrid must pay for itself in terms of gas costs or else it doesn't make sense.

These people never apply the same kind of "common-sense" approach to convertibles, SUVs, souped-up versions of cars etc.

People buy cars as a statement or just to be different or because it makes them feel good, why does it have to be different for a hybrid?

F23A4 07-08-2006 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by vkick

Plus, there will be a 2007 TL Type-S with a 3.5L engine to compete again the IS350.

Fixed! :tomato:

Sly Raskal 07-08-2006 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
I don't know why people insist that a hybrid must pay for itself in terms of gas costs or else it doesn't make sense.

These people never apply the same kind of "common-sense" approach to convertibles, SUVs, souped-up versions of cars etc.

People buy cars as a statement or just to be different or because it makes them feel good, why does it have to be different for a hybrid?

The inherit design and purpose of the hybrid from the start is to save gas. They may have a lot of the same bells and whistles that the base models have. But their primpary purpose and benefit is to get better fuel economy.

Sure whoever wants one for the sake of owning one are entitled to do so, and if you are eco-friendly another great reason to.

But if your solely buying it for it's intended primary benefit, saving gas, then why is so wrong to judge it for that?