Fiat Chrysler Automobiles: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 01:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DEI99662
DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group is finalizing a plan to bring back employee discounts for the masses and is adding a new twist -- customers who are unhappy with their vehicles can return them within 30 days, according to dealers and company officials...
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...606220427/1148

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/06/22/...eut/index.html
Expect a bunch of barely used Chryslers to show up in dealership lots within 2-3 months from all the returns that came from skinflint customers who just wanted to drive a new car for free for one month and had no intention of actually owning the car for any length of time.

Honestly, all Daimler-Chrysler is doing is stuffing the pipeline by forcing more product into the distribution channel than the channel can actually handle. This is similar to something "Chainsaw Al' Dunlap did at Sunbeam. It's a way to meet short term liquidity needs and to make the numbers Wall Street expects. In the long term though, it can come back to bite you in the ass because you have merely deferred a problem and done nothing to solve it.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm, I think I found my next rental car free for 30 days on my next trip.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:17 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Who the hell is the NooB that posted this thread?
Old 06-23-2006, 09:09 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
DEI pops in, posts a thread, and disappears again for months...WTF?

And Chrysler may be getting a whole lot of 30 day test drives next month...
Old 06-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Is this the PW DEI?

DCX may not realize the error of their ways until sales go south in the fall and a bunch of cars get returned.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

GM is said to be doing 0% for up to 6 years.............

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2006606230362
Old 06-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by DEI99662
The 30-day guarantee is a new idea Chrysler hopes will eliminate doubts among buyers who remember the automaker's past quality problems. But customers who return their vehicles would pay a penalty and a mileage fee.
Who actually read the whole thing?? Those of you who think you can get a free car for 30 days, think again.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Just as a follow up:

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Chrysler Group executives are giving serious consideration to a plan to offer a 30-day money-back guarantee on the companies vehicles, according to a newspaper report.

The Chrysler Group, part of DaimlerChrysler, informed a group of dealers about the plan but an official announcement will not come until at least next week, according to the story in the Detroit News. In the style of former Chrysler Chief Executive Lee Iacocca, DaimlerChrysler CEO Dieter Zetsche will announce the plan and star in a new advertising campaign, according to the report.

Customers who return their cars would still have to pay a penalty and a mileage fee, the newspaper said.

Executives plan to meet this afternoon to finalize the plan, according to the Detroit News.

The company already plans to offer an "employee pricing" incentive push this summer, according to a recent report in Automotive News, an industry newspaper.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/06/23/...tee/index.html
Old 06-23-2006, 04:18 PM
Burning Brakes

I spent 30mins on their website and still could not find anything I like... I guess I will have to miss this great deal...
Old 06-24-2006, 12:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by runnerX
I spent 30mins on their website and still could not find anything I like... I guess I will have to miss this great deal...
Darn!
Old 06-26-2006, 02:37 AM
East Coast Boost.!

i bet there will be a lot of brothers with 30 day 300m trials, and a huge supply of 20"+ chrome rims beginning in august
Old 06-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DownUnder
Hmmm, I think I found my next rental car free for 30 days on my next trip.
exactly...
Old 06-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by alex2364
Who actually read the whole thing?? Those of you who think you can get a free car for 30 days, think again.
will have to see how much those penalties cost vs rental car...
Old 06-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Titand19
i bet there will be a lot of brothers with 30 day 300m trials, and a huge supply of 20"+ chrome rims beginning in august
haha

true...
Old 07-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Chrysler is asking employees for new business ideas

Chrysler In Venture Capital - - Source: The Car Connection

Chrysler has set aside "millions of dollars," according to CEO Tom LaSorda, for an in-house venture capital program designed to create "new, innovative ways to grow the company." The project has been in operation since early spring, said the automaker's chief executive, and a number of proposals have been received from Chrysler employees.

By the end of August, or early September, LaSorda continued, he and other senior executives will hold a review of the most innovative proposals. Employees will have 15 minutes to pitch their ideas, much as if they were going before a venture capital company. Chrysler is ready to sponsor several of the best, if they merit funding from a budget that LaSorda suggested is "more than a single-digit million."

The project is not designed to come up with new ways to build cars, stressed the executive, whose twin brother is a successful entrepreneur. But there appear to be relatively few other caveats. "I want somebody to give us a business that would get us $50 million, $100 million," said LaSorda. The project is also meant to serve as a learning lesson for the entire Chrysler enterprise, said LaSorda. It is tough to get people to think like entrepreneurs because of the "paralysis by analysis" in a large bureaucracy. In the long run, the CEO hopes the project will lead to more flexibility and speed in the Chrysler organization.-Paul A. Eisenstein

Old 07-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

What every company, regardless of sector, should absolutely be doing, every single day!
Old 07-03-2006, 12:26 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Why spend all that money?????

..All they have to do is read Azine Automotive News.:wink:
Old 07-03-2006, 01:20 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Why spend all that money?????

..All they have to do is read Azine Automotive News.:wink:

why ask their employees when most salesman dont know shit. just read the online forums and they'll figure it out
Old 07-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Infamous425
why ask their employees when most salesman dont know shit. just read the online forums and they'll figure it out
Chrysler salesmen aren't Chrysler employees.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:36 PM
hail to the victors

hey boss

1. you guys really fucked up the new sebring sedan. we need a better midsized to go against camcords and emerging hyunkias.

2. when are we going to stop making p/t cruiser? people are making fun of us.

3. we need celine dion back for our pacifica commercial.

there. give me my million.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by gavriil
What every company, regardless of sector, should absolutely be doing, every single day!
So true.

It really seems like American car companies have been stuck in their "paralysis by mis analysis" routine for a LONG time.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:13 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by chungkopi
Just kill the Pacifica line already...it has been suffering poor sales for years.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by chungkopi
hey boss

1. you guys really fucked up the new sebring sedan. we need a better midsized to go against camcords and emerging hyunkias.

2. when are we going to stop making p/t cruiser? people are making fun of us.

there. give me my million.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:56 PM
fap fap fap

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
Chrysler salesmen aren't Chrysler employees.

ok my bad. still they should be reading the forums
Old 09-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Chrysler: Sales, Marketing, and Financial news

Is 'Dr. Z' Kaput as Chrysler's TV Pitchman?
By GINA CHON and SUZANNE VRANICA
September 18, 2006; Page B1

Chrysler's surprise disclosure Friday that it will lose $1.5 billion in the third quarter signals a painful new round of restructuring that will likely have DaimlerChrysler AG Chairman and Chief Executive Dieter Zetsche considering how many workers to let go. One of them may be "Dr. Z," his advertising alter ego.

Chalk it up as another setback for the CEO as pitchman, an ad strategy supercharged by a blunt-talking former Chrysler chief executive, Lee Iacocca, during the company's hard times in the 1980s and 1990s. Other CEOs, including Mr. Zetsche, haven't fared as well starring in ads, some ad analysts say.
[Dieter Zetsche]

Created by the Detroit office of Omnicom Group's BBDO, the "Dr. Z" campaign cost $100 million and has been running since July. It relies on Mr. Zetsche, with his distinctive, bushy mustache and German accent, for a light-hearted setting of a somewhat complicated message about how Chrysler cars share engineering and design features with higher-priced Mercedes sedans, or how Jeep SUVs are clean and fuel efficient.

But the ads have become the butt of scorn from some ad critics, even though industry research shows the ads were memorable. Critics often pointed to studies showing that many people believed Dr. Z wasn't a real person. Detroit area resident Carrie Belcher, who has a Jeep Grand Cherokee and Volkswagen Passat in her family, said she assumed he was a fake character and was surprised to learn he was DaimlerChrysler's CEO. But she said the ads made her laugh. "I thought it was kind of fun that the CEO was that quirky and funny," she said. (Mr. Zetsche does have a doctorate in engineering.)

The Chrysler Group vigorously defends the ads, saying the campaign did its job of informing consumers about what Chrysler stands for.

The TV, radio and print portions of the Dr. Z campaign are currently suspended so the company can focus on its clearance sale and new model launches over the next two months. That isn't considered a reflection on the Dr. Z campaign, since clearance and new-model ads are normal for this time of year. Chrysler says the Dr. Z campaign will continue in some form but might not feature new appearances by Mr. Zetsche. "If we do more of the same, people would say it was boring," says Chrysler spokeswoman Eileen Wunderlich.
[Dieter Zetsche]
Wendy's International Inc. founder Dave Thomas (below) was a big hit in company ads, but DaimlerChrysler's Chairman and Chief Executive Dieter Zetsche (above) has fared less well with critics pointing to studies showing that, although memorable, people believed Dr. Z wasn't a real person.

Ad industry observers say Chrysler's ambivalence about Mr. Zetsche's future as a spokesman is the main reason to assume he won't have one. Some think the role was a bad idea from the outset. "Dr. Z was a crazy move," says Richard Edelman, president and chief executive of the Edelman public-relations firm. "We are not in an era where CEOs are seen as rock stars."

Agency executives often bemoan the use of chiefs in commercials. But some classic campaigns have featured the top boss. "There are times when it makes sense to have a leader of a company or brand speak, but more times than not, it doesn't work," says Brendan Ryan, chairman of Interpublic Group's Draft FCB. "The danger is you are talking to yourself because what you are saying may be compelling in the boardroom, but it doesn't necessarily touch consumers."

Mr. Ryan says companies should reserve the move for times when they need to address the public to calm fears or squelch concerns. But even then, experts warn the CEO's persona should be considered before he takes to the airwaves.

Two of the most successful attempts have come from Wendy's International, whose warm and pudgy founder, Dave Thomas, starred in ads for 13 years; and Chrysler, which cast Mr. Iacocca in the role of frontman in the 1980s, when the company was trying to save itself from bankruptcy.
[Wendy's]

At Ford Motor, Bill Ford Jr. promised more innovation in commercials, but they haven't done much to stop Ford's sales slump. Ford's U.S. sales are down 9.9% through August, and the company plans to slash tens of thousands of jobs. New York ad research firm IAG Research says the innovation ads scored slightly lower with consumers in terms of recall and likeability than Ford commercials that didn't use Mr. Ford. Mr. Ford recently stepped down as CEO, succeeded by former Boeing executive Alan Mulally.

With the Dr. Z ads, Chrysler wanted to tell consumers about the benefits of its 1998 merger with Daimler-Benz. Jason Vines, Chrysler's vice president of corporate communications, said Mr. Zetsche didn't want to do the ads at first but was persuaded after learning that ads featuring him were the most popular in focus groups.

Mr. Zetsche, who turned the Chrysler Group around before being promoted to run all of DaimlerChrysler earlier this year, embodies the benefits of the American and German aspects of the company, Mr. Vines said. "We knew it would be controversial," he said. "But we thought if anybody could pull this off, he could."

Some industry research indicates the spots were a success. Millward Brown Research found 76% of consumers who intended to buy a vehicle in the next 90 days found the ads memorable, and 73% said they understood Chrysler's vehicles combined the best of American and German engineering and design. The Dr. Z ads also had 43% higher brand recall and 63% higher message recall than other Chrysler ads.

"It's like that old saying, 'I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right,' " Mr. Vines said. "I don't see any Toyota or GM ad getting this much attention."

Write to Gina Chon at gina.chon@wsj.com1 and Suzanne Vranica at suzanne.vranica@wsj.com2
URL for this article:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB115854485932265959.html
Old 09-18-2006, 06:04 PM
fap fap fap

even if they were good commercials i dont think they would help boost sales that much
Old 09-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

I can't wait, that guy is a jackass of the highest order in those commercials.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Without those ads I don't think that most people knew that Chrysler was owned by Daimler Benz. And even if they did know it, I'm not sure that many people realized that M-B technology was found in cars like the 300 & Dodge Magnum.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
Without those ads I don't think that most people knew that Chrysler was owned by Daimler Benz. And even if they did know it, I'm not sure that many people realized that M-B technology was found in cars like the 300 & Dodge Magnum.

True. That is a message that they had to get out as most people would view it as a positive.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think the problem is so much with the commercials, but the company just doesn't have the right mix of products. They're very heavy into SUVs & minivans, and don't have many cars. The cars they do have are cheap feeling, plasticky, and uninspiring to drive IMO. And they don't have much to offer the younger crowd.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
I thought those "Dr Z" commercials were great. When the Detroit media was talking about it, many people on the street (ie informal survey) said they had a hard time understanding him. WTF?! I have a better time understanding people with a German accent rather than some people in Detroit.

Anyway ... I thought this a nice diversion by adding humour to selling cars. Maybe it's my Canadian sense of humour that makes me 'undertsand' the commercials. As far as I'm concerned, that was the best series of commercials made by the car manufacturers.

1. Honda -- Mr Opportunity knocking? weak
2. Toyota -- ??
3. Hyundai -- ?
4. GM -- ?
5. Ford -- good commercial with the GT500 at the German port ... see? they are using the spin-off of the Dr Z commercial to get sympathy car sales ...

... etc etc etc
Old 09-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,661 Likes on 13,897 Posts
Post Chrysler to cut shipments by 90,000 cars

Also, along with the loss announcement...

From Leftlanenews...

The Chrysler Group will cut deliveries by 90,000 vehicles — roughly a quarter — in the third quarter, the automaker said today. Overall, shipments for the second half of the year will be down 135,000 units from the original plan. Third quarter deliveries had previously been lowered to 380,000 vehicles. That figure will bow be 290,000. Last week, Chrysler said it expects to post report a loss of $1.5 billion for the third quarter of fiscal 2006 — a significant increase over the previously anticipated $600 million loss. "The Chrysler Group is facing a difficult market environment in the United States with excess inventory, non-competitive legacy costs for employees and retirees, continuing high fuel prices and a stronger shift in demand toward smaller vehicles," the company said during that announcement. The Chrysler Group consists of Chrysler, Jeep, and Dodge.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Burning Brakes

those commercials were retarded from the start. "we made ze dodge caravan beautiful inzide and out."
Old 09-21-2006, 01:32 PM
101 years of heartache...

Ya, einen Reklameanzeigen macht kein für mich. Die Amerikaner kaufen gern Honda, Toyota und Hyundai jetzt für ein Grund. Es ist die Qualität.

Just because I said that in German doesnt make me sound smarter. Point I am trying to make is (and kind of made in my previous words) that the FINAL PRODUCT dictates where consumers will spend their money. I was listening to NPR Chicago and BBC radio, and both had a segment on Ford recently. BBC's American corresondent made an obvious point that people in America KNOW Honda and Toyota are reliable and therefore will go to them regardless. In a car, you instantly lose money, so you best be making an investment that will take your money the farthest. Americans themselves have not been buying their country's domestics as much as the japanese's products.

Some German guy talking about his product won't do much. I talked to some classmates and a proffessor about this recently. All 5 middle-American, car-ignorant, typical college people said they would choose a Toyota or Honda over a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge any day.

The domestics have a stereotype going around that they need to get rid of. Otherwise, as a Ford official said during that BBC interview, [he] will be planning on moving to another company the way things are going.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Chrysler group for sale **Chrysler bought by Cerberus for $7.4B (page 2)**

Chrysler group for sale? 'We don't exclude anything,' CFO says - - Source: Autonews.com

Chrysler group for sale? 'We don't exclude anything,' CFO says

Bradford Wernle

Is the Chrysler group for sale? During a presentation to analysts and journalists today, DaimlerChrysler CFO Bodo Uebber refused to rule out the sale or spinoff of its unprofitable Chrysler group.

"We don't exclude anything here," including structural changes, Uebber said during his third-quarter earnings teleconference today. "We will do our analysis. Second, we will talk about measures. And third, we will draw our conclusions."

Asked again whether DaimlerChrysler has put the Chrysler group up for sale, Uebber repeated the same answer without giving a yes or no. "I don't do any speculation," he said.

Chrysler group losses dragged down DaimlerChrysler's third-quarter financial results. The Chrysler group lost $1.47 billion, down from a $393 million profit for the same period a year ago.

The company predicts Chrysler will lose $1.2 billion in 2006. DaimlerChrysler posted quarterly net income of $680 million and projects a companywide operating-profit target of $6.29 billion for the full year.

The Chrysler group's loss overshadowed a rebound at the Mercedes Car Group, whose quarterly operating profit rose to $1.24 billion.

DaimlerChrysler has assigned a team of senior executives to study seven major facets of the Chrysler group's business. The teams have been asked to improve margins by $1,000 per vehicle. Officials declined to give a timetable for the internal study.

Reuters contributed to this report.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:53 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
CheryChrysler
Old 10-29-2006, 01:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

How Fiat is turning around **CEO to retire (page 1)**

Outsider gets Fiat going by flouting traditions - - By Gabriel Kahn and Stephen Power, The Wall Street Journal - - Source: http://www.post-gazette.com

TURIN, Italy -- At the headquarters of Fiat SpA here, an auto industry outsider is engineering a turnaround of a company considered the biggest mess in the industry two years ago.

He's doing it with an in-your-face taunt: The leaders of many of the world's largest auto firms have lost their way, says Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne. If you're going to fix a broken car company, call in an amateur.

When Fiat hired him in June 2004, the company acknowledged it was just months away from running out of cash. It had lost about $2.4 billion the year before. A four-year-old alliance with General Motors Corp. was on the rocks.

Mr. Marchionne had never worked in the auto industry. He was running a century-old Swiss company that inspected and certified goods moving in trade. He was Fiat's fifth CEO in three years. Labor leaders and analysts figured there would soon be a sixth.

Today, Fiat is on a tear. Sales were up 19 percent in the first nine months of this year. Its auto business is profitable. The stock has doubled since a year ago.

"All of this sounds like a miracle," Mr. Marchionne said at an industry conference in June. "But it is not. And it is explainable."

The newcomer mocked the auto-industry dogma that factory closings were the answer to the industry's problems. Instead, he took a knife to the bureaucracy.

He bucked the standard industry practice of hoarding one's best technology. Mr. Marchionne pushed to sell as many of Fiat's engines and other parts as he could, even to competitors.

He boasted that Fiat at first would be selling fewer cars, not more, as he stamped out steep discounts. They are a common practice in the industry, particularly in the U.S., where GM and Ford Motor Co. have often pushed cheap financing to keep sales up. Mr. Marchionne figured that though such promotions buoyed Fiat's market share, they widened its losses and cheapened the brand.

He also insisted that designers and engineers radically speed the process of bringing out a new model, skipping the step of building a working prototype. The result was to shave six months off the standard design-to-market time of 24 months or more.

Finally, instead of seeking a rescue through a broad alliance -- as Renault SA and Nissan Motor Co. have, and as GM considered doing -- Fiat has pursued smaller, targeted joint ventures.

Fiat's turnaround isn't finished, and analysts caution against overstating it. Much of its sales surge reflects the success of just one model, a small, sporty sedan called the Grande Punto. Many analysts doubt Fiat can ever fully overcome the hurdle of being a builder of small cars, on which margins are thin, in a high-cost place like Europe. "We believe that Fiat is an overvalued turnaround story in which the market is likely to lose faith," wrote one analyst, Stephen Cheetham of Sanford C. Bernstein & Co., this month.

Yet it's clear Mr. Marchionne's unconventional approach is producing results so far. He maintains that his overhaul has revolutionized the culture in a way that will keep the company competitive in the long term, even against lean Asian rivals. Besides its main unit, Fiat Auto, the company makes Iveco trucks, Case New Holland farm equipment and two expensive car brands that aren't part of Fiat Auto, Ferrari and Maserati. Although Fiat's flagship brand left the American market years ago, Ferraris and Maseratis continue to be sold in the US.

The auto industry normally cultivates its executive talent from within. But the bleak conditions in some corners of the industry have lent appeal to the idea of an outsider who can shake things up with new ideas. Ford has also gone outside for a CEO, hiring Boeing Co. executive Alan Mulally.

When Mr. Marchionne arrived at Fiat, many expected him to use its financial crisis as a lever to force unions to accept a factory shutdown. Fiat's European factories were running at just 60 percent of capacity, analysts estimate, far below the 80 percent to 90 percent thought needed for profitable operation. Other companies, such as GM and Ford, are attacking their woes through extensive plant closings and worker buyouts.

But Mr. Marchionne pledged not to shut any of Fiat's Italian factories, even a chronically inefficient one in Sicily that was slated for closure under prior management. One special situation made this easier. An Italian law permits an industrial company that's financially on the ropes to send workers home temporarily and pay only a portion of their salary. Still, Mr. Marchionne's decision not to close any factories astonished industry analysts and even fellow Fiat executives.

Labor is only 6 percent to 7 percent of the cost of making a car, Mr. Marchionne told a group of industry insiders in June. "Therefore," he said, "the real reason for large operating losses at Fiat Auto must be found elsewhere." He figured that the industry's constant focus cutting factory payrolls was an excuse to avoid tackling tougher problems.

He looked to the management ranks. Fiat's controlling shareholders are the Agnelli family, known for style and formality. This sensibility was mirrored, to some degree, in the Fiat hierarchy. Executives who worked in the same hall would schedule appointments to speak to each other through their secretaries.

That wasn't Mr. Marchionne's style. An intense man who rarely wears a tie, he spends much of the day when in his Turin office in nonstop meetings, smoking a steady stream of Kents, often with Bach playing in the background. At his first major outing as CEO, in July 2004, Mr. Marchionne was blunt about Fiat's management. It was "inward looking," he told analysts and journalists, and its approach to business "needs to change and change drastically."

He said Fiat, which was selling 30 percent fewer cars than a few years earlier, no longer needed the same number of managers. Of more than 700 at the car unit, 30 percent were sent packing, for an annual saving of about $160 million. At the corporate level, he dismantled a 300-person management layer that monitored the company's truck, tractor and car units.

"It showed we've taken responsibility from the top for the problems," says the head of human resources, Francesco Garello. "We haven't put the blame on the factory workers but on the decision makers. That had an enormous cultural impact."

While laying managers off, Mr. Marchionne promoted others. Soon after arriving, he knocked on the door of Luca De Meo, director of Fiat's Lancia car brand. "He walked into my office and said, 'Who are you?'" says Mr. De Meo. The two talked for 90 minutes about the company's problems.

Weeks later, Mr. De Meo was put in charge of the core Fiat brand, even though the 39-year-old had been at Fiat less than three years. "He hadn't been with the organization long enough to pick up any bad habits," Mr. Marchionne says.

Mr. De Meo espoused the unorthodox approach. He hired consultants from Swedish retailer Ikea to give stodgy dealerships an airy, consumer-friendly feel.

But Fiat faced a roadblock. An alliance it had made with GM in 2000, as a way to catapult itself into the orbit of the world's largest car maker, had turned acrimonious, with both sides threatening lawsuits.

In the deal, GM had taken a 20 percent equity stake in Fiat Auto and agreed that if things went badly, Fiat Auto could sell the rest of itself to GM. At the time, with Fiat healthy, no one expected this clause to matter much. But by 2004, with Fiat on the ropes, GM worried that the Italian company might exercise the clause and force GM to absorb some $8.8 million of Fiat debt. Mr. Marchionne, at a meeting with GM CEO Richard Wagoner in January 2005, insisted that GM pay to get out of what was in effect a put option. Mr. Wagoner agreed to pay $2 billion.

The cash gave Fiat some breathing room, but the end of the alliance left it a pint-size player in the global auto game. Mr. Marchionne gave the manager who had overseen the GM relationship a new mission: Find some new alliances, but narrower ones that would plug Fiat's weaknesses and leverage its strengths. He told the executive, Alfredo Altavilla, to steer clear of equity investments, for a simple reason: "We had no money."

They also didn't have much respect. Mr. Altavilla recalls that as he talked with industry executives, they kept asking, "Will you still be around in six months? Will you be able to supply spare parts in three years?"

But Fiat had some strong technology to offer, including a highly efficient 1.3-liter diesel engine. Mr. Altavilla signed a deal to produce small cars jointly with Ford, at a Fiat plant in Poland. Ford would get a small car powered by Fiat's engine and built on a Fiat platform. Fiat, in effect, would get to sell the use of some of its technology and facilities, collecting more revenue from its plants.

Most car makers hoard their best technology rather than let rivals have access to it. Mr. Marchionne thought that was "crazy," says Mr. Altavilla, figuring that "your competitor will just go to somebody else to buy" something equivalent.

Mr. Altavilla has signed nine deals, helping Fiat both to widen its model lineup and enter new markets. One arrangement is with the car division of Russian steelmaker OAO Severstal, which will sell Fiats through its dealership network in Russia. Another is with Turkish auto maker Tofas and France's PSA Peugeot Citroen SA to make a small cargo vehicle. By next year, the fast-growing Indian car market will include two brands equipped with Fiat's small diesel engine: cars from Fiat and Tata Motors Ltd. in Mumbai.

Mr. Marchionne was baffled by what he says is the industry's tendency to be "capital happy" -- rolling the dice on costly new models without first doing lots of market research. He says this habit was especially bad at Fiat: "We only listened to the customers after the cars were launched."

The result was sales projections that could be badly off the mark. Five years ago, Fiat launched its Stilo model, expecting it to sell as many as 360,000 a year. It peaked at 160,000 in 2002. The result was huge excess production capacity and parking lots full of unsold cars. Moving them required steep discounts that cannibalized sales of other models.

Mr. Marchionne told product-development people to sharply understate sales projections. Instead of designing a model that could make money only if it sold 300,000 a year, they had to design it to be profitable if it sold half that many. It was up to the designers and engineers to figure out a way.

At the same time, he required more market-testing, even of car interiors. On the Grande Punto, he approved a bright orange interior even though he hated it, because consumer focus groups liked it.

When Mr. Marchionne arrived, Fiat Auto's engineering and design department had five independent units and two international divisions, each developing products on its own. There was little communication or synergy, and morale was abysmal, says Harald Wester, a new product-development chief the CEO hired.

Fiat was preparing to replace the Stilo with a model called the Bravo, of a size similar to compacts in the U.S. Mr. Wester says the Bravo was "mediocre," had no "wow factor." He ordered it redesigned, a move that engineers said would mean a six-month delay in its launch. No delays, Mr. Wester retorted. In fact, he demanded, the Bravo must be launched six months earlier than planned.

To do so meant adopting an entirely new engineering process that skipped the step of building prototypes. "A healthy company would never have thought about doing it like this," says Mr. Wester, but "extraordinary situations lead to extraordinary solutions." He says Mr. Marchionne approved the plan, except for one change: "He asked us to deliver it one month earlier." The Bravo is set to go into production next month.

Labor unions at Fiat have a history of strikes and even violent confrontation with management, but Mr. Marchionne's openness appears to have softened attitudes a bit. Recently, he stood before hundreds of union officials to answer their questions. "We had never seen anything like that before at Fiat," says Giorgio Airaudo, secretary of the Turin section of a left-wing union, FIOM-CGIL.

The company and unions operated for years with no contract after the last one expired. For 10 years, unions had been pushing for a new one. They were astounded when Mr. Marchionne proposed a new one, with a clear formula for bonuses, which would be based on quality, productivity and financial results. It was signed in June.

Mr. Marchionne concedes that Fiat isn't out of the woods. But its progress so far has led to a surge of self-confidence and a change in how the company is regarded. "We were considered the biggest losers in Europe," says Mr. Wester. Now, "my people don't get teased at the bar anymore for being from Fiat."
Old 10-29-2006, 01:11 AM
Moderator Alumnus

What Ford and GM should be doing?
Old 10-29-2006, 08:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Fiat had been a HUGE player in European auto industry in the past, and hopefully it's turnaround will allow it to re-enter the US market. The Bravo and the diesel engines sound like winners to me...

Originally Posted by gavriil
What Ford and GM should be doing?
Yes.. the 3 biggest things I pulled from the article (I read it all) were...

1) Fire all the useless Managers at the top level instead of firing the factory workers. Management is responsible for crappy sales numbers not the factory worker.

2)
rolling the dice on costly new models without first doing lots of market research. He says this habit was especially bad at Fiat: "We only listened to the customers after the cars were launched."
Give the people what they want... Many companies make vehicles and hope they can persuade customers to buy it (using commercials, marketing, discounts, etc etc) instead of making products that consumers want.

3) Bring in new people with new idea... Get rid of the older industry insiders who have too many "bad habits".
Old 10-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
But like Ghosn is finding out at Nissan the turn around could be short lived. They'll have to keep up the pressure to churn out desireable models and look for more big player relationships.

Quick Reply: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News