Fiat Chrysler Automobiles: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 01:59 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
It will be interesting to see the sales trend once the inventory from the closed dealers is sold off.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Chrysler to restart production

Jun 11, 2009

Tony Van Alphen
Business Reporter

The Grand Caravans, 300s and Chargers could be rolling off the assembly lines at Chrysler Canada plants within three weeks as the company's parent pulls away from bankruptcy protection with a new partner following a two-month shutdown.

Although Chrysler would not confirm dates, the Canadian Auto Workers union said yesterday that company officials have suggested privately they want to reopen the minivan plant in Windsor, a car operation in Brampton and an engine casting factory in Etobicoke by June 29.

"There's no official notification yet, but we are optimistic the plants will be up and running by the end of the month," said Jerry Dias, a senior CAW official. "The company hopes to start by then."

About 8,700 workers at Chrysler Canada Inc.'s operations have been off the job since the end of April, when the parent company gained court protection from creditors in the United States. Thousands of other workers at scores of parts makers that supply the assembly plants have also been idled.

Chrysler had wanted to build autos during a 30- to 60-day bankruptcy period but uncertainty over the process and payments prompted some edgy suppliers to stop deliveries. It disrupted operations here and in the U.S., where about 27,000 more workers are on layoff.

Chrysler spokespersons said yesterday they did not know when plants in Canada or the U.S. would reopen.

Dias, assistant to CAW president Ken Lewenza, said Chrysler wants to start building vehicles as soon as possible to improve consumer confidence.

Chrysler sales crashed in Canada and the U.S. last month partly because of uncertainty over the company's future, according to industry watchers.

Dias said Chrysler has already recalled some staff to ease the transition to work practices set by Italian automaker Fiat SpA, Chrysler's new owner.

"We've already incorporated a lot of the lean manufacturing techniques so it shouldn't be too difficult," he added.

Parent company Chrysler LLC emerged from court protection yesterday after Fiat took ownership of most of its assets, including the Canadian operations.

Chrysler announced Fiat chief executive officer Sergio Marchionne, who grew up in Toronto, would also head the company.

Marchionne spoke to senior staff at Chrysler's headquarters in Auburn Hills, Mich., about the company's push to implement Fiat's fuel-efficient technologies in smaller cars in North America and develop a new corporate culture.

"He told us bureaucracy doesn't build cars," said Lewenza who heard Marchionne's speech. "He really emphasized the need for fewer managers and the need for everyone to help change the culture."

The company announced several management changes – including the appointment of president Jim Press as deputy chief executive – and individual presidents for the Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep brands. Reid Bigland, Chrysler Canada's CEO, will stay in his current post.

Chrysler LLC CEO Bob Nardelli informed staff of his departure while Stephen Landry, executive vice-president of North American sales and a former CEO of Chrysler Canada, confirmed his retirement.
http://www.wheels.ca/reviews/article/684174
Old 06-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Race Director

Dias said Chrysler has already recalled some staff to ease the transition to work practices set by Italian automaker Fiat SpA, Chrysler's new owner.
Does this mean there's an Italian way to assemble a car?
Old 06-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Moto Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see what the big deal is about Fiat. They got a screaming deal thanks to U.S. taxpayers. Almost highway robbery in my opinion. And aside from the 500 Abarth and some Alfa Romeos, have you guys seen Fiat's lineup? If you think Acura got beat by the ugly stick, then Fiat must have had been beaten twice and then were forced fed the stick...

Linky to Fiat's Linup

Really? That's Italian design? Looks more like 90's Korean to me.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:01 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
500, punto, bravo are nice......give me the AR lineup

Compared to the Chrysler/Dodge lineup....the enire Fiat lineup is beautiful!!!!

....even if Chrysler products got a Fiat interior upgrade....that alone would be worth it.

Chrysler interiors are pretty much the worst in the auto industry.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
I like the romeon and 500. 500 would be a nice little commuter, much nicer looking then smart car too.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:35 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by moog-type-s

....even if chrysler products got a fiat interior upgrade....that alone would be worth it.

Chrysler interiors are pretty much the worst in the auto industry.
+1
Old 06-13-2009, 02:27 AM
Race Director

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aKm5KiVBt4GE

Chrysler Group LLC, the revamped U.S. automaker led by Fiat SpA, will use technology from the Italian company in six of its vehicles and help build six Fiat- brand cars, research firm IHS Global Insight Inc. said.

Fiat platforms will be used in redesigned versions of Chrysler’s Dodge Caliber, and Journey and Jeep Liberty sport- utility vehicles, IHS said in a report today. IHS predicts the Chrysler and Fiat models will be built during the next three years at plants in the U.S., Mexico and Canada.

Chrysler Group has access to fuel-efficient autos and global markets through its alliance with Fiat. Sergio Marchionne, the chief executive officer of both companies, said yesterday that Chrysler plants would begin receiving Fiat tooling and technology over the next several months. A Chrysler spokesman declined to confirm IHS’s projections.

“It’s way too early to speculate on this,” said Rick Deneau of Chrysler. “We are working these plans out now.”

The platforms consist of almost all components used in a car that the average person can’t see, said John Wolkonowicz, an analyst with Lexington, Massachusetts-based IHS who co-wrote the report. They include steering, electrical systems, suspensions and exhaust systems.

“I think it’s going to be very difficult,” said Wolkonowicz. “The Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep stuff still has to have a style very different from the Fiat stuff.”

The platforms would replace Chrysler’s existing components for various models of Chrysler’s mid-sized cars, Wolkonowicz said. The study also gives production plan estimates for three new Chrysler vehicles, five Alfa Romeo luxury cars and the assembly of the Fiat 500 subcompact car.

Chrysler Plants

IHS predicts that most of the Auburn Hills, Michigan-based Chrysler vehicles will be built at plants in Belvidere, Illinois; Toluca, Mexico; and Toledo, Ohio. The Fiat models will be produced at plants in Detroit, Toluca and Brampton, Ontario.

The Fiat platforms will also be used in the Jeep Panda, the Dodge Hornet and the replacement for the Chrysler Sebring, the IHS report said.

Documents from bankruptcy court show that Chrysler plans to build at least one car in the U.S. based on an Alfa Romeo platform.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:30 AM
Race Director

I find it odd that Fiat would have so much detail already worked out and included in BK paper filling.

None of the above talks about the bigger cars, SUVs, trucks and their minivan.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
Chrysler: Double 'Cash For Clunkers' Incentive

Chrysler says it will double the $4,500 government incentive for people to trade in their old gas guzzlers for new vehicles under the "cash for clunkers" program.

The automaker announced Wednesday that it will offer up to $4,500 cash or zero percent financing for six years on most of its 2009 Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep models. The incentive begins Thursday and lasts until Aug. 31.

Chrysler says in a statement that buyers are eligible even if they don't qualify for the clunkers program.

The government's "cash for clunkers" program is expected to begin later this month. It gives owners of inefficient, older vehicles up to a $4,500 incentive to trade them in and send them to the scrap heap in exchange for more efficient models.
CNBC

I still wouldn't buy a Chrysler product but something like this would definitely get me back in the GM or Ford camp if they had this incentive as well.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I just saw that. The only thing of theirs I'd drive is the Challenger, which wouldn't qualify for squat (unless the deal was for cars that get 10 mpg less than your current car). I also bet one of the exclusions are SRT models.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Sounds more like "Clunker for Clunker"
Old 07-22-2009, 03:01 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
I was gonna say the same thing......although when the Fiat 500 comes stateside........
Old 07-22-2009, 05:34 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Old 07-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
OR old clunker for new clunker.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:31 AM
Race Director

The models that qualify (4 cyl small sedans) are the ones that ChryCo doesn't make any money on. Now, $9000 off to get a Fiat 500, that would be a deal.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

They (Chrysler / GM / Ford) already overprice their vehicles by 4000 to 9000 then offer 4 to 9000 off MSRP all the time anyways. I dont see how this is really news or different from their usual 'sales'
Old 07-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Good luck with that.

Basically, here’s how the program works for new-car purchases (different criteria apply to trucks):

1. The car you’re trading in must have been registered and in use for at least a year (this provision prevents people from buying an old beater from a junkyard and trading it in for a new car).

2. The trade-in vehicle must have a combined city and highway fuel-economy rating of 18 mpg or less.

3. The new car you purchase must be priced at $45,000 or less.

4. The new car must have a federal fuel-economy rating that is at least 4 mpg better than the old car you’re trading in to qualify for a $3,500 voucher, or be rated at least 10 mpg better to get the maximum payment of $4,500.
http://environment.about.com/b/2009/...eally-help.htm

Got that old beater just sitting in the driveway, unregistered, but planning to use it one day? Nope.

Your old beater gets 19 mpg combined? you're out.

And good luck getting a Chrysler to get 10mpg or better than your old car to get the maximum benefit from the program. Unless it's a real gas guzzler.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:32 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
yeah those damn trucks get the worse mileage out of the big three

Edit: just saw the truck thing, nvrmnd
Old 07-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
I'm possibly thinking of getting a new Wrangler. Its the only Chrysler (besides the Challenger) that would interest me. Good or bad idea?
Old 07-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Senior Moderator

My 00 Quest qualifies as a clunker apparently. However, that fact that it runs well and is paid for is reason enough not to trade it in.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:02 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
My 00 Quest qualifies as a clunker apparently. However, that fact that it runs well and is paid for is reason enough not to trade it in.
Thats funny.....my wifes' (which we are getting rid of anyway) 98 Saturn SL2 with 145,000 does not qualify for this program since when it was built it was rated at a combined 25mpg. What a bunch of It runs dang good and could go for another 50k, but why wouldn't they make a mpg limitation or a year limitation. To me it just seems like a ploy to get more people to by new cars and take out loans that they can't afford IMHO.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Apparently, they changed the rules a bit and some people are pissed because they thought their cars qualified, but now they don't.

'Clunker' confusion: EPA changes MPG figures
Some car shoppers find that the fuel economy for their old cars has suddenly improved - making them ineligible for Cash for Clunkers.
By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNNMoney.com senior writer
July 28, 2009: 11:25 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Some car shoppers are finding that their trade-in vehicles, which qualified for a "Cash for Clunkers" rebate last week, don't this week thanks to changes in the EPA's fuel economy ratings.

One CNNMoney.com reader went to the Environmental Protection Agency's fueleconomy.gov Web site on Sat., July 25, to double-check the fuel economy rating for his 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis. When he had visited previously, the car's combined city and highway fuel economy was rated at 18 miles per gallon, making it eligible for the program.

But on Saturday, he found something different: The fuel economy for his car had been raised to 19 mpg -- one mile per gallon over the maximum fuel-efficiency allowed under the Car Allowance Rebate System (aka Cash for Clunkers). As a result, he became ineligible for a trade-in credit worth up to $4,500.

Even though the program's basic requirements have been known since it was created by Congress earlier this year, Cash for Clunkers didn't become official until July 24. So as part of the official launch, the EPA conducted "quality assurance and quality control effort regarding fuel economy calculations on more than 30,000 vehicle model types spanning the past 25 years," according to an e-mail sent by EPA spokesman Dale Kemery.

As a result, eligibility for roughly 100 vehicles was affected, Kemery wrote. However, roughly equal numbers became newly eligible and newly ineligible.

Car shoppers have been posting comments on various Internet message boards, including several at the automotive Web site Edmunds.com, describing their frustration with the changes.

The owners of a 1993 Camry V6 wagon, a 1995 Saab 900S and a 1988 Toyota 4Runner all describe their vehicles becoming suddenly ineligible for the program around the time the rules officially went into effect.

Consumers who believe their eligibility may have been hurt by EPA's changes should contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which administers Cash For Clunkers.

"They should call our attention to it," said Rae Tyson, spokesman for the NHTSA. He did not promise, however, that the agency would bend the rules.

Cash for Clunkers benefits are retroactive to July 1, so dealers have been able to make deals since that date. But they had to wait until July 24 to file for their reimbursement checks.

Dealers who entered into agreements with customers before July 24, based on a fuel economy figure listed at fueleconomy.gov, have only themselves to blame, said Tyson.

"We made it very clear that they would be holding themselves out to some risk if they consummate a deal before the program officially begins," Tyson said.

Find this article at:
http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/28/auto...itch/index.htm

© 2007 Cable News Network LP, LLP.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
^ I feel bad for the people who were affected, though. I would be pissed too.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:39 AM
Race Director

It doesn't matter much at this point now that the program ran out of money.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:13 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry I think this whole plan is stupid. It doesn't accomplish anything but add more debt for all of us who can buy our own cars without a government handout.

The way I see it, people buying these cars fall into one of two categories:

1) You drive a 92 Buick LeSabre for a good reason. You have no stable income and no cash on hand. This money just pushed you into buying a car you really shouldn't buy. God bless them, but a good percentage of these people will have their cars repo'd in 6 months. That doesn't help the car industry one bit in the long term and it certainly doesn't help these people.

2) The other group are people who were going to buy a car anyway very soon and this just accelerated their plans. This accomplished nothing more than flushing the pipeline of buyers for the next 6 months. That doesn't count as stimulating sales.

Bottom line; the car industry is going to be no better off for this "stimulus" and all we get for it is more debt. Uggh! I need a drink.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:40 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
doesn't chrysler always offer rebates of $4500?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
my friend got a Ford Edge fully loaded 2009 about year ago for 25k brand new... car worth like 40k +
Old 08-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Picked up a '09 Accord EX coupe on saturday.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,916 Likes on 14,037 Posts
Chrysler: Aiming To Rise A "Notch Above Cadillac"

From Motor Authority...

We've all been eagerly awaiting the change at Chrysler that's certain to come with Fiat taking the helm, and with a number of Alfa Romeo and Fiat models already in the pipeline, the company is now talking brand strategy. And that's what has Chrysler's Peter Fong talking about surpassing Lincoln and Cadillac.

Pushing the Chrysler brands farther apart, with larger price and feature gaps to distinguish the Dodge from Chrysler means Dodge will be eying sportier traits, while Chrysler vehicles will move further upscale in the luxury arena. But Chrysler isn't aiming just to take on Cadillac and Lincoln--it wants to beat them.

That means pushing the Chrysler brand, "a notch above Lincoln, a notch above Cadillac," says Peter Fong, president and CEO of the brand. That will necessitate a big move up-market as Cadillac is already ahead and is progressing quickly to improve its own products and luxury status with cars like the SRX, CTS sedan, coupe and wagon and the upcoming XTS flagship.

How, exactly, Chrysler plans to do that has not been revealed. The full product plan to back up this new strategy is scheduled for release in November. Though the 200C electric vehicle revealed at this year's Detroit Auto Show isn't headed to production, it is a preview of the upcoming design language for the brand revival, so expect any new products to share some hints borrowed from that vehicle, including possible Chrysler-branded Alfa and Fiat variants.

Dodge will move further from Chrysler by focusing on offering sporty vehicles, emphasizing performance while balancing that against the new fuel economy and emissions mandates. Jeep will remain largely unchanged, though its recent focus on the more car-like smaller segments with vehicles like the Compass and Patriot will grow.
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...above-cadillac
Old 09-22-2009, 12:37 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

I bet that Chrysler moves up-market before Acura arrives at Tier-1.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Pro

I bet that Chrysler will cease to exist before Acura arrives at Tier-1.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
The Dodge news is better than the Chrysler news.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
This is wishful thinking from a group with no ideas.

They completely fucked their chances with an endless supply of Mercedes bits to pick from ...

They don't build anything I'd want even if I had to downsize.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:50 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,056 Likes on 2,688 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
This is wishful thinking from a group with no ideas.

They completely fucked their chances with an endless supply of Mercedes bits to pick from ...
That is diamlers fault, who did chrysler no favors during their reign.

And I think the brand has ideas as well as potential.

How does a group with no ideas come out with the Challenger? Ever been in one? Feels much better built and put together than my old CL ever did.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Intermediate

To surpass both Cadillac and Lincoln they must first revamp their dealer network. My wife owns a Chrysler and I know I will not be buying another product until they address their dealer network. Bad experience at a local dealer, where the tech and I came very close to getting into a fight in front of the service manager. I will pass.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:57 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
That is diamlers fault, who did chrysler no favors during their reign.

And I think the brand has ideas as well as potential.

How does a group with no ideas come out with the Challenger? Ever been in one? Feels much better built and put together than my old CL ever did.
Fiat is going to turn this GIANT mess around...and make no doubt about it, it's a mess. Fiat has the ability to do this, and the product to get into the showrooms.

Alfa-Chryslers
Old 09-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it. They have a loooooooong way to go.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:46 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,056 Likes on 2,688 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I'll believe it when I see it. They have a loooooooong way to go.
So did Kia and Hyundai at one point.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
So did Kia and Hyundai at one point.
Yeah and at Hyundai in Korea they'll just shame you into jumping out a window if you fuck up (or whatever).

At Chrysler you'll get promoted

Quick Reply: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News