Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 12:41 AM
has been here awhile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edmund's Insideline: Infiniti Considers Model Above the Q45

Article found at http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=106601

Infiniti Considers Model Above the Q45

Date Posted 07-26-2005

DETROIT — A flagship model above the current Q45 sedan is on the wish list for the future for Nissan's luxury division, Infiniti, Inside Line has learned.

In an interview with Inside Line, Mark Igo, Infiniti vice president and general manager, said the addition this year of the M-Series allows the luxury marque to consider moving more upscale.

"The Q has a loyal base, but the sales are very small. As we grow the M business, we want to take it to the next phase for that type of buyer," he said.

"As the Q matures, we'll look at how it fits in our lineup," he added. "If we have an opportunity to evolve it, we will do so. But to have a true flagship is something we'd like to have — something that's every bit as impressive as the M. That's what our goal would be. That would be on my dream list."

Infiniti could have more V8-powered models in its future line as well, Igo said. "I'd like to see us do more V8s because it raises transaction prices and gets us into a higher demographic in terms of income. That really sets the forefront for flagships."

Indeed, Igo said the M35 and M45 have boosted Infiniti's transaction prices. The M is selling at about $40,000.

What this means to you: Infiniti is finally wising up and realizing that the Q45 doesn't even exist in the mind of high end luxury sedans buyers. An all-new flagship would go a long way toward getting Infiniti back on track to battle Lexus.

-----

What do ya'll think? I don't think Infiniti is ready for this big of a move (though right now, it seems like its pretty far down the road: Igo said that he dreams of a true Infiniti flagship. Infiniti's brand recognition is not strong enough to compete in this market--they may have the goods, but they just do not have the brand cachet that is necessary in this fickle market segment. Perfect example: Volkswagen Phaeton.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:15 AM
goldmemberererer

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN

...would go a long way toward getting Infiniti back on track to battle Lexus.
HAHAHAHAH, they don't even _give_ a fuck about Acura cause it's the big boy game. Sucks that Acura doesn't know how to make a $40k+ car that'll be a success for Acura and/or a threat for Lexus/Infiniti/Audi (forget MB & BMW).
Old 07-27-2005, 07:57 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 697 Likes on 418 Posts
Why do they have to come up with a new model, can't they just redesign the Q? Seems like they're just not interested in that model.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:01 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
I don't get it - there is no current Q - its being discountinued for MY06 and then there's supposed to be a replacement next year as an MY07. How can the Q mature when it's being discontinued? I thought it was obvious Infiniti all along was planning to have a new model above the M - wheather it was called the Q or not. Obviously the Q was not on anyone's mind with it selling 200/mo. or less. I'm sure you can get a Q now for less than an M45.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:35 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Why do they have to come up with a new model, can't they just redesign the Q? Seems like they're just not interested in that model.
My thought's exactly. The Q is supposed to go away for a year. It's time for an all new flaghship anyway. Just put everyting you've (Infiniti) got into it and it'll be a winner, no matter what you call it. Personally, I like the Q name. It'd be great if the new flagship was called that, but no matter what they call it this new car has got to be damned good; the new LS debuts in the damn spring.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by titan
My thought's exactly. The Q is supposed to go away for a year. It's time for an all new flaghship anyway. Just put everyting you've (Infiniti) got into it and it'll be a winner, no matter what you call it. Personally, I like the Q name. It'd be great if the new flagship was called that, but no matter what they call it this new car has got to be damned good; the new LS debuts in the damn spring.
The name doesn't matter as much as the product and the Q has been going downhill since they introduced it in the early 90s, when it was unique looking in a good way. If they had the right car, they could call it "Bob" and it would sell.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Hook
The name doesn't matter as much as the product and the Q has been going downhill since they introduced it in the early 90s, when it was unique looking in a good way. If they had the right car, they could call it "Bob" and it would sell.
The Q, right now, is doing what the first gen RL did. It has no excitement and kinda fades into obscurity.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bill Hook
That's what I said, basically. They need a new car, and it's got to be the right product. The heat's only going to be on more with the new LS coming out. And again, like I said, I like the Q name.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm the Firestarter

I'm surprised the Q is so irrelevant, I remember when it came out it had these really cool headlights and the rear-view camera. I guess that was about it.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
I don't get it - there is no current Q - its being discountinued for MY06 and then there's supposed to be a replacement next year as an MY07. How can the Q mature when it's being discontinued? I thought it was obvious Infiniti all along was planning to have a new model above the M - wheather it was called the Q or not. Obviously the Q was not on anyone's mind with it selling 200/mo. or less. I'm sure you can get a Q now for less than an M45.

I believe what this means is that they want to push the Q upmarket. Not keep it and add another model above it.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Pro

I would guess that this new model would be released after the release of the GT-R. I think they should keep the Q name. I mean, the old M didnt sell much, but now that its redesigned and hot, it sells like crazy regardless of its past history. I think infiniti can also achieve this with the Q. I'm curious to see how great this car will be considering all the new releases by infiniti are awesome.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:34 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by 03TL-S
I would guess that this new model would be released after the release of the GT-R. I think they should keep the Q name. I mean, the old M didnt sell much, but now that its redesigned and hot, it sells like crazy regardless of its past history. I think infiniti can also achieve this with the Q. I'm curious to see how great this car will be considering all the new releases by infiniti are awesome.
What are M sales like?
Old 07-27-2005, 10:35 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What are M sales like?
Around 2100-2500 range monthly.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:35 PM
Pro

What are M sales like?
Roughly 2100-2500 a month so far. I know, maybe i exaggerated, but its still selling beyond what was expected. I believe the goal was to sell 20k a year. At this rate, it will sell beyond that.

EDIT: lol secstac...you beat me to it
Old 07-27-2005, 10:41 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
exact estimate too heh
Old 07-28-2005, 09:35 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gavriil
I believe what this means is that they want to push the Q upmarket. Not keep it and add another model above it.
Right, that's what I got from the article (though the title can be a little misleading). They're not going to have the Q AND another car above it... they're going to make the next Q (or whatever it's called) a true competitor to the S/7/A8/LS, instead of an also ran. They want to do to the flagship segment what the G and M have done to their respective segments... introduce a true competitor.