Did you preorder the 2004 TL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003 | 09:41 PM
Racer

Did you preorder the 2004 TL?

I just wanted to see if I could get an official count of who has preordered the new TL and what colors/trim level you chose. Also, I'd be curious to know what (if anything) would cause you to withdraw your deposit and go with a different car.

I've preordered a TL 6MT w/ Navi and no HPT -- Anthracite/Quartz (thanks to the beautiful pics posted by Wiz).

The dealbreakers for me would be:

1.) Price > $36,000 w/ destination (unless the TL has ventilated seats, rear back-up camera, and adaptive cruise control)
2.) Very poor press when reviews hit shelves in September (i.e. torque steer is a problem, ride/handling is "marshmallow-like," car's accel/braking stats equal to or worse than current TL-S).
3.) A very rich person donates a 2004 FX-35/45 w/ tech to me.

I think the probability of any of the above possibilities actually happening is pretty low, so I'll most likely be driving a TL by the end of October (assuming the waiting doesn't kill me first...).
Old 08-12-2003 | 09:44 PM
More On

Re: Did you preorder the 2004 TL?

Originally posted by princed
.....I've preordered a TL 6MT w/ Navi and no HPT......
While you're waiting for some real replies:

Did they tell you exactly what "HPT" stands for (please don't tell us anything with "Tire" in it) and exactly what it would have included?
Old 08-12-2003 | 09:53 PM
Racer

Re: Re: Did you preorder the 2004 TL?

Originally posted by larchmont
Did they tell you exactly what "HPT" stands for (please don't tell us anything with "Tire" in it) and exactly what it would have included?
Nope. I didn't ask, though, as I had read that "secret" letter Acura sent to dealers mentioning that the HPT would not be appropriate for winter weather. I live in a neighborhood in northern New Jersey with steep hills, windy roads and single lane bridges and I commute 20 miles each day to work (often at 5:45 am) -- needless to say HPT would be great in spring/summer/fall, but it would kill me (literally) in the winter.

I'm really starting to wonder what HPT involves, though. If the standard 6MT model comes w/ Brembo's and stiffer suspension, I can't imagine the HPT being just 18-inch wheels and summer tires -- that could EASILY be a dealer-installed accessory...
Old 08-12-2003 | 09:55 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

I have a deposit on a TL:

- Black with Ebony Interior
- Navi
- 6MT no HPT*
- I requested HPT, only if it has something that goes well above and beyond a standard 6MT. It looks like I'll be going with a standard 6MT.

Deal breakers

1. A price above $36,900
2. Poor press reviews related to performance and ride quality

Aside from that, there's not much that can turn me away from buying this car.
Old 08-12-2003 | 10:03 PM
More On

Originally posted by VtecMW
......I requested HPT, only if it has something that goes well above and beyond a standard 6MT.....
How can they be taking deposits, including on HPT cars, without telling people what it is, or even what it stands for????

I love Honda/Acura, but this is a joke.
Old 08-12-2003 | 10:04 PM
Race Director

I just wanted to see if I could get an official count of who has preordered the new TL and what colors/trim level you chose. Also, I'd be curious to know what (if anything) would cause you to withdraw your deposit and go with a different car.

I've preordered a TL 6MT w/ Navi and no HPT -- Anthracite/Quartz (thanks to the beautiful pics posted by Wiz).

The dealbreakers for me would be:

1.) Price > $36,000 w/ destination (unless the TL has ventilated seats, rear back-up camera, and adaptive cruise control)
2.) Very poor press when reviews hit shelves in September (i.e. torque steer is a problem, ride/handling is "marshmallow-like," car's accel/braking stats equal to or worse than current TL-S).
3.) A very rich person donates a 2004 FX-35/45 w/ tech to me.

I think the probability of any of the above possibilities actually happening is pretty low, so I'll most likely be driving a TL by the end of October (assuming the waiting doesn't kill me first...).
Actually your wrong, the possibility of Getting Ventilated Seats, rear back up camera, and adaptive cruise control is not low.. LOL Just trying to stay positive and keep my fingers crossed!!
Old 08-12-2003 | 10:08 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally posted by larchmont
How can they be taking deposits, including on HPT cars, without telling people what it is, or even what it stands for????

I love Honda/Acura, but this is a joke.
Yeah, I asked about this with my dealer. He said that the only difference between a 6MT and 6MT with HPT are summer tires. I stated that if there is anything else that distinguishes the two, I'm interested.

As it stands, I have a deposit on a 6MT. I'm not sure if HPT is only being offered in certain regions of the country. Seems like a possibility.
Old 08-12-2003 | 10:21 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

What about the 'Dynamic' TL that will be availiable here in Canada only? What do you think will be offered for this package... will it be just skirts, or more interesting like the sushi roll of the same name -'shrimp tempura and tobiko'-mmmm...

J.
Old 08-12-2003 | 10:55 PM
Racer

Refundable Deposit 04 TL 6MT. (HPT and color TBD after official release of information !) I agree with princed that it makes no sense to have a separate code for the HPT just for summer rubber. It must include something else.
Also I am ditto on the deal breakers
Old 08-12-2003 | 11:08 PM
Racer

Originally posted by lakeman
Refundable Deposit 04 TL 6MT. (HPT and color TBD after official release of information !) I agree with princed that it makes no sense to have a separate code for the HPT just for summer rubber. It must include something else.
Also I am ditto on the deal breakers
This is interesting... I was under the impression that trim level and color combos had to be selected before the order could be officially placed. As Justin mentioned in another thread, the first MOVE allocation for delivery in early October has happened. I'm assuming that my preferences were sent off so that a TL would be built to my specifications. You should check with your dealer -- by not selecting a trim and color, you may be pushed into the second (or third, if you wait for info release in Sept.) allocation for delivery in November or later.

Please let me know if I am wrong -- I'd like to know if I can still make changes in the specifics of my order without delaying the car's arrival...
Old 08-12-2003 | 11:41 PM
Racer

Deal breakers for me are poor reviews in the enthusiast magazines, which includes the 04TL's performance numbers. And a disappointing test drive. Overall I want the car to better or at least equal my CL-S in performance/handling.

-r
Old 08-12-2003 | 11:48 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

This is interesting... I was under the impression that trim level and color combos had to be selected before the order could be officially placed. As Justin mentioned in another thread, the first MOVE allocation for delivery in early October has happened. I'm assuming that my preferences were sent off so that a TL would be built to my specifications. You should check with your dealer -- by not selecting a trim and color, you may be pushed into the second (or third, if you wait for info release in Sept.) allocation for delivery in November or later.

Please let me know if I am wrong -- I'd like to know if I can still make changes in the specifics of my order without delaying the car's arrival...
I'm confused by the whole process. What if someone wants HPT? How does the dealer place an order for this if there is no information about it??

Maybe dealers just submit for a certain number of cars based on demo allocations, deposits, and what they expect will sell. Then, they can get into specifics (color combo, trim, etc.) when the car is ready to go into production.

Just a guess!
Old 08-13-2003 | 07:46 AM
Burning Brakes

If someone wants HPT, the dealer specifies it for their allocation. Dealers are assigned the number of cars they receive in their initital allocations--they don't submit for them. The allocations are tailored to the deposits.
Old 08-13-2003 | 07:59 AM
Racer

Originally posted by RJC RSX
If someone wants HPT, the dealer specifies it for their allocation. Dealers are assigned the number of cars they receive in their initital allocations--they don't submit for them. The allocations are tailored to the deposits.
So how much flexibility does one have in changing the specs of a pre-order. If I have a 6MT reserved from the initial allocation, can I still change color, nav/no nav, HPT/no HPT without delaying anything?
Old 08-13-2003 | 08:15 AM
Racer

My dealer had so little hard info, that essentially all I did with my deposit was to “get in line” to order. I had missed the first allocation, but I am hoping to get enough information to determine the color and package by the MOVE allocation scheduled the week of Aug 25. If I still don’t have enough info by this time, I will slide to the next cycle. There is also the possibility that one of the already ordered cars will fit just fine. I have been in the market now for over a year, a few more weeks is not critical to make sure I get the right car.

Somewhere I thought I read that the 6MT HPT would only be available in limited color combinations. Anyone see this or can I get any color combo? Also is it true that the Abyss Blue is not available in Ebony?

Deposit 04 TL 6MT HPT? Color ?
Old 08-13-2003 | 08:15 AM
Burning Brakes

So how much flexibility does one have in changing the specs of a pre-order. If I have a 6MT reserved from the initial allocation, can I still change color, nav/no nav, HPT/no HPT without delaying anything?
I'm not sure. My dealer asked me after the order had been submitted whether or not we wanted HPT (funny he asked since we have reserved the auto) so I would presume that there's some degree of flexibility.
Old 08-13-2003 | 08:23 AM
Suzuka Master

I am also in-line for a 6MT-Navi-HPT, but will pass on HPT if it is tires only.

If the wheels and tires are bigger and there is a sport suspension, I am in. Otherwise, I can get Summer tires on my own, if I choose.

I have a very hard time, even though we are dealing with Honda, believing tires are the ONLY difference.
Old 08-13-2003 | 08:57 AM
Intermediate

deposit on 04'TL

guys, remember this is just a "deposit", so you can choose the package you really want and make a final desicion once you have tested the car with all the different specs,
that's why is a "fully refundable deposit", because we don't even know how much is going to be,
a deal breaker for me: over $35,000 ,
I've talked to the mger. and he thinks it wont go over $32,000 plus navi $2000 , tops $34,000

Deposit on 04'TL MT 6spd/SM (non HPT)

(i'm like the rest of you guys, .....waiting !!!!!)

p.d.: we should open a new thread and call it "people desperated waiting the October month"
Old 08-13-2003 | 11:24 AM
Pro

Ok, time for me to finally chime in and cast my order:

04 TL
6spd Manual
HPT option
NO Navi
diamond white pearl
Quartz interior (I wish I could get ebony!!!!!!!)

My order went in with the end of July allocation for October delivery. I was there the day they entered the order.

When I told them HPT, they person entering the order said, oh the tire option. I asked if they knew if it was just tires, or also included the Brembos, they said they had no information other than it had summer tires, and did not know if the 6spdMT came with brembos or not (Larchmont, this is your favorite dealer so no flamming!).

When I placed the order (late June) they had nothing, when they placed the allocation, they did not have much more than we have (the 6 models and the color combos).

They did say that white was not available in ebony like in Canada so I settled for wht/quartz (they said no special intereriors for 6spd or HPT options (only Canada gets those )

Deposit is fully refundable.

I only went with the 6spd manual as the auto did not have the HPT or brembos and stiffer suspension per the post from Stash. I really hope the HPT is more than just "Tires" (wife was pushing for auto, but this would be my first auto in 20 + years, just could not do it if it did not include the same hardcore suspension as the manual, like ALL OTHER MAKERS!)

I would change/cancel if:

1. Auto and manual had better suspension and brembos (along with tires) - would changeand get Auto to make the wife happy.

2. Would cancel if

a. Price is >36k
b. Poor reviews (suspension, engine, drivetrain, too soft, too much roll, etc.)
c. 0-60 over 6.5sec
d. looks like it was beaten with an ugly stick when seen in person or tires not proportional to size of car (diameter of tire, not wheel diameter, as wheel diameter can always be changed) If not properly sized, the car will not look muscular, but wimpy instead. Just look at the new cars, they are all increasing diameter (take a look at the FX and new BMW's)
e. when test driven, it does not feel right, or is not comfortable (e-brake will be overlooked for now).
f. Poor access to the under hood area (with that funky shapped hood.

I know, I am picky, but I hold on to my cars for 6-8yrs, so it has to be right.
Old 08-13-2003 | 01:13 PM
Luck favors the ignorant.

<SNIP>

On order Anthracite/Black 5AT/Nav. No deposit and if they had asked for one, I would have only done $500 tops and even then only if they gave me a DAMN good reason.

Deal breakers:
1) More than $35k (Yes, I know that puts it only $6k above a similar TSX).
2) Car doesn't perform as well as my Volvo S80 T6.
3) Electronics suck. Simply put, I would perfer a '04 S80 T6 but Volvo is too stupid at present to catch up with the rest of the industry. And while I am in a rant mood ....

BMWers are overpriced, Inifinti's NAV sucks and I won't walk into an American based dealership every again. I sold my Pontiac and Buick because the dealership wouldn't quit calling me on my cell phone (which he got from the service center which promised me they would never give it out) every month to sell me a new car because both my current cars were paid off and over 5 years old. The 6th call I told them I was selling the two cars and never doing business with them again and if they called me a 7th time I would make sure all my friends knew to stay away from them too. Needless to say, I never got called again when my two cars showed up on their used car lots.

Ok I feel better now (yes bad day at work).
Old 08-13-2003 | 02:12 PM
Instructor

i think the car is going to be too big for a manual transmission. could you see the current one with a manual??
Old 08-13-2003 | 02:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by donutchow
i think the car is going to be too big for a manual transmission. could you see the current one with a manual??
What do you mean by "too big"? The current CL is availible with a manual. Heck, 18-wheel tractor trailers have manual transmissions! Three pedals for everyone!!!
Old 08-13-2003 | 02:49 PM
Instructor

yeah, but how much fun would driving a big car with a manual be? yeah, i know the 5 series has a manual, but the TL with a manual just seems odd to me. too many people are considering performance as the deciding factor in the car. who uses 0 to 60 times in real life? normally we're sitting in traffic or going 35mph, so performance and handling doesn't matter much, unless you track your car
Old 08-13-2003 | 03:01 PM
Racer

yeah, but how much fun would driving a big car with a manual be? yeah, i know the 5 series has a manual, but the TL with a manual just seems odd to me. too many people are considering performance as the deciding factor in the car. who uses 0 to 60 times in real life? normally we're sitting in traffic or going 35mph, so performance and handling doesn't matter much, unless you track your car
I respectfully disagree... I was driving my sister's Accord LX ('96) to and from work for a while recently, and although I like the car, I could not help but dream about my new TL every time I drove anywhere. Merging on to route 10, I had to make sure there was plenty of space, because my accel time w/ a 130hp 4-cyl was just not that great (it's still a great engine, though). Also, no quick lane change maneuvers for me -- I had to get over early, cause there was no guarantee I'd have the passing power to get in front of that slow car 50m ahead before the turn. And trying to accelerate up some of these winding, single-laned roads on steep hills -- believe me, performance and handling definitely matter...
Old 08-13-2003 | 03:05 PM

I drive my S80 every day to work. I normally have to punch it at least once a day. Which means 0-60 does matter to me and my safety. Drive in the DFW metroplex and try to get on certain highways with short ramps and you will understand why you need a 0-60 that is less than 8 seconds and a times needs to be closer to 6.5 secs.
Old 08-13-2003 | 03:15 PM
Suzuka Master

.....the TL with a manual just seems odd to me. too many people are considering performance as the deciding factor in the car. who uses 0 to 60 times in real life? normally we're sitting in traffic or going 35mph, so performance and handling doesn't matter much, unless you track your car
Who are you and what have you done with donutchow, founder of the 3-pedal club!?

:P Just joking, but all that sounds really weird coming from you. Are you referring to the FWD? Personally, I'd LOVE to drive a TL with a stick! My mom drove the 6-speed CL-S, and it was GREAT (from the passenger seat). She said she didn't like the shifter, but that's beside the point...

manual TL with 270HP, brembos, and summer tires.
Old 08-13-2003 | 03:43 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
Who are you and what have you done with donutchow, founder of the 3-pedal club!?

:P Just joking, but all that sounds really weird coming from you. Are you referring to the FWD? Personally, I'd LOVE to drive a TL with a stick! My mom drove the 6-speed CL-S, and it was GREAT (from the passenger seat). She said she didn't like the shifter, but that's beside the point...

manual TL with 270HP, brembos, and summer tires.
i've autoxed, and done other fun stuff with many many kinds of cars, and i know i'd rather drive a 200hp tsx 6 speed in an autox instead of a 270hp tl 6 speed. smaller is better, more fun to drive.
Old 08-13-2003 | 03:51 PM
Suzuka Master

i've autoxed, and done other fun stuff with many many kinds of cars, and i know i'd rather drive a 200hp tsx 6 speed in an autox instead of a 270hp tl 6 speed. smaller is better, more fun to drive.
I'm confused now, are we talking about autox, or sitting in traffic and going 35mph? Or are you saying smaller is better in both?
Old 08-13-2003 | 04:44 PM
Pro

I have a 96 maxima 5spd Manual, it is 188" which is about where the new TL will fall. It is great fun with the stick, I hit redline in 1st - 3rd every day driving to work (love those on ramps), I drive it hard, and if I had an auto, I would be less inclined and also bored of it 4 years ago.

I have even brought it to a road track, what a great time it was, respectable, and passed all the other wimps in sprot cars.

Did an AutoX once, had no problems, but then again, having 235/45-17 YOKO AVS Sports on the car doesnt hurt (gee that is the size of the TL).

It does not mater what car has a manual, as long as it has balls and fun to drive, you make it what it is!

If you need a family sedan, but want to have fun (and keep the wife from driving it), get a manual!
Old 08-13-2003 | 05:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Enough good things cannot be said about the 96 Maxima-SE 5MT.
Old 08-13-2003 | 05:31 PM
1st Gear

Some questions to those that have put deposits on '04 TL's.

If a deposit was placed on a car that is to be delivered in October, was an order to Acura placed for the car specified (color, trans, etc.) by you? Or does the deposit put you in a queue and you get to select from what comes in? And if what you want comes in you are in luck.

Another way of looking at this, does the dealer order the exact cars (color, trans, etc.) that will come in October, or is it up to Acura?

Then the same Q's for November.

Thanks.

EDIT: The reason I'm asking this is because in talking to two dealers, I got two different answers. Just trying to figure out what is real.
Old 08-13-2003 | 05:36 PM
Burning Brakes

the former

yes (the former)

same
Old 08-13-2003 | 07:33 PM

Originally posted by goacura

If a deposit was placed on a car that is to be delivered in October, was an order to Acura placed for the car specified (color, trans, etc.) by you? Or does the deposit put you in a queue and you get to select from what comes in? And if what you want comes in you are in luck.

Another way of looking at this, does the dealer order the exact cars (color, trans, etc.) that will come in October, or is it up to Acura?

Thanks.

EDIT: The reason I'm asking this is because in talking to two dealers, I got two different answers. Just trying to figure out what is real.
My dealer had placed his order based on past selling history. So I was given a choice of one of 23 pre ordered vehicles. Only 5 had NAV and that did limit my selection further. The good news for me is, I already own one red car and I am now pretty bored with silver. Not being a big fan of solid black, I went with the Anthracite. Of the five AT/Navs, one was Anthracite. So for me, I actually ordered the car I wanted. But it was more of a "I lucked out" situation.

Now if I should change my mind, I would have to wait for the November shipment to get a very specific color setup based on what I was told at the time (this happened to me on the '03 MDX).
Old 08-13-2003 | 10:50 PM
Pro

Thumbs up I lucked out due to Justin's information

Originally posted by goacura

Thanks.

Based on this board, I found out what the cars / colors / trans / and options would be. I told the dealer what I wanted based on that info (which was true based on the allocation orders). I had left my deposit on July 3rd, but updated the order as time went by (btw, the deposit is only $100).

Once Justin indicated that the allocations were being placed by the dealers, I high tailed it to the dealership I was working with to make sure that mine got placed as I had wanted it. While there, the dealer had someone entering the allocation orders already, the sales manager introduced me to them and I indicated what I was looking for in the car (color, trans, hpt) and they input it into the system as I was standing in their office.

That person indicated that they had already ordered some of the cars with HPT (specifically said High Performance Tire option), so they knew what was up.

from what I understood, they were picking the cars for the October allocation, it was not Acura deciding for them.

Based on this, the dealers are the ones selecting the cars, not Acura for them.

So my car was ordered specifically for me and I was not picking from pre-ordered cars. I would think the same would be true for the November allocation.
Old 08-14-2003 | 08:16 PM
Racer

Does anyone know if the 6MT with HPT has any restrictions on color choices? Can I order any color combo that is available? (I would like Abyss with ebony, but understand that it is not an option.) I plan to call my dealer and lock in a color combo with my order before the next MOVE allocation.

Deposit 04 TL 6MT HPT Color: Abyss/ Quartz
Old 08-15-2003 | 12:37 PM
Pro

Originally posted by lakeman
Does anyone know if the 6MT with HPT has any restrictions on color choices? Can I order any color combo that is available? (I would like Abyss with ebony, but understand that it is not an option.) I plan to call my dealer and lock in a color combo with my order before the next MOVE allocation.

Deposit 04 TL 6MT HPT Color: Abyss/ Quartz
No restrictions that I know of (per the dealer, and what do they know? ) Good luck!
Old 08-15-2003 | 12:39 PM
Racer

Does anyone know how similar the anthracite and carbon gray are to one another? Is the anthracite noticeably lighter than the CG? If so, does it hide dirt and swirl marks a bit better? I definitely like the look of the darker gray over the standard silver color, but I'm worried about every little piece of dirt and imperfection showing up...

Oh, and is the slate color of the RL interior similar to quartz?

Thanks...
Old 08-15-2003 | 07:08 PM
Instructor

Does anyone know how similar the anthracite and carbon gray are to one another? Is the anthracite noticeably lighter than the CG? If so, does it hide dirt and swirl marks a bit better? I definitely like the look of the darker gray over the standard silver color, but I'm worried about every little piece of dirt and imperfection showing up...

Oh, and is the slate color of the RL interior similar to quartz?

Thanks...
The TSX has a quartz interior. Typical grey interior. The Anthracite is very dark -- darker than CG.
Old 08-15-2003 | 08:50 PM
Advanced

We had some say in exactly what combinations we wanted back in the later part of July. If tomorrow someone left a deposit for a car we did not already have coming we would have to try to dealer trade to even consider getting the car in October.

All color combinations are available in all packages.

I am waiting to test drive one before I put my deposit down but I have taken a preorder for one of my customers. I get to spend a day on the race track with one.
Old 08-16-2003 | 08:40 AM
Racer

Originally posted by stlgasman
The TSX has a quartz interior. Typical grey interior. The Anthracite is very dark -- darker than CG.
Really? I was under the impression that the anthracite was lighter...

I wonder why Acura didn't go with CG for the TL...

Quick Reply: Did you preorder the 2004 TL?