Detroit 3 are getting killed in California; Toyota keeps rolling

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Detroit 3 are getting killed in California; Toyota keeps rolling

Detroit 3 are getting killed in California; Toyota keeps rolling - - By RICK KRANZ | KATHY JACKSON AND AMY WILSON | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS - - Source: Autoweek

For those who want to know just how much the Detroit 3's U.S. market share might shrink someday, California may be the canary in the mine shaft.

Over the first six months of this year, the Detroit 3's domestic brands accounted for just 31.4 percent of the state's retail registrations -- down 3.7 percentage points compared with the same period last year, according to R.L. Polk & Co.

The Polk data suggest the Detroit 3 may be nearing the point of no return in California. Here's one startling indicator: Toyota's brands now generate more retail sales in California than the North American brands of GM and Ford combined.

The Polk data do not include fleet sales to corporate customers or daily rental fleets such as Hertz or Avis.

The big winner was Toyota Motor Corp., whose brands accounted for 26.7 percent of retail registrations, up 2.6 percentage points. The big loser was General Motors, whose brands totaled 14.4 percent, down 2.1 points.

Ford Motor Co., the Chrysler group and Nissan Motor Co. also lost share, while Honda Motor Co. gained.
California's top 10

California's 10 best-sellers in the first 6 months of 2006

1. Ford F series
2. Toyota Camry
3. Honda Civic
4. Toyota Corolla
5. Honda Accord
6. Toyota Tacoma
7. Chevy Tahoe
8. Chevy Silverado
9. Toyota Tundra
10. Nissan Altima

Source: Retail registration data from California Motor Car Dealers Association

Sign of the times

Here's another sign of the times: Bert Boeckmann, owner of the world's largest Ford dealership, recently opened a Honda store in Mission Hills, Calif.

After more than 50 years of selling cars and trucks at Galpin Ford in suburban Los Angeles, it is Boeckmann's first venture with a Japanese brand except for Mazda, which is controlled by Ford.

Over the decades, Boeckmann has had many opportunities to buy a Honda or Toyota dealership. "I certainly turned down a lot of them," he said. "I guess as you look today, you might say I should have taken one or two of them."

Through July, Galpin Ford's retail sales declined 9.3 percent, and profits slid 20 percent. Ford's decline "has been very painful," Boeckmann said. "It's tough right now when it comes to profitability."

The decline of the Big 3 in California parallels their nationwide slip. For the first six months, their combined share of U.S. retail registrations dropped to 47.4 percent, a slide of 4.4 percentage points in just one year.

But California is worth watching not only because it's a big market but also because it's a trendsetter. And California motorists continue to favor import brands.

Small cars rule

Through June, subcompact cars and compact pickups gained the most market share in California, according to data released last week by the California Motor Car Dealers Association. Thus, new small cars such as the Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, Nissan Versa -- and, yes, the Dodge Caliber -- are poised to profit from the shift.

By contrast, full-sized pickups, mid-sized SUVs and minivans have tanked. That's bad news for the Detroit 3, which rely heavily on trucks. Only three domestic nameplates -- the Ford F series, Chevrolet Tahoe and Chevy Silverado -- cracked California's list of the 10 best-selling vehicles.

"The onslaught of product (from the imports) is overwhelming," said Earl Hesterberg, president of Group 1 Automotive Inc., a dealership group headquartered in Houston. "The volume is going to the small cars (while) the baby boomers are buying BMW, Mercedes and Lexus." Group 1 owns 12 stores in California. Only one is a domestic: a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep store in San Diego. Hesterberg says domestic Detroit 3 brands still are strong in other Sun Belt states but have fallen off the radar screen in California.

It's not just product that has allowed the import brands to prevail. The strength of the import dealer ad associations eclipses the Detroit 3's marketing efforts, Hesterberg says.

The ad associations receive 1 to 2 percent of the proceeds of each vehicle sold by the dealers. "This allows the dealers to do more advertising," Hesterberg says. "The Toyota ad association is a big force in itself. The ad associations are a secret weapon."

More trucks?

GM's weaker year-to-year sales results were due partly to the employee-pricing it introduced a year ago. This summer, the automaker has avoided similar incentives.

And GM will rebound a bit this fall when it rolls out redesigned full-sized pickups, the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra. Business is off a bit while consumers wait for the new trucks, says Susan Docherty, GM's western sales manager.

Although GM's big pickups are strong sellers, Docherty admits California's shift from trucks to cars is not a fad. "We recognize we need a better balance in cars and trucks" in California, she says. "People are looking at things like fuel prices and interest rates."

As for Boeckmann, his new Honda store is six miles from his flagship Galpin Ford store in North Hills. A message board near his Galpin Ford site promoted the Honda store's opening in its first couple of weeks.

And it has been a great start, he said. After targeting monthly sales of 135 new cars and trucks, the Honda store is on pace to sell 250.

Boeckmann already has asked for a meeting with Honda to seek a bigger vehicle allocation. "We're going to run a little bit short of cars in August."
Old 08-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
I am not certain that I would agree with the assertion that 'Calfornia is trendsetter', particularly when it comes to automobiles. (I do wonder how much the postmodern sociology of California's culture has to due with the preponderance of cars on that list, and the brand images thereof.)
Old 08-22-2006, 04:43 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
^ I think California was picked not to convey a sense of trendsetting, but rather, it's the highest populated state in the US, and thus, the article feels that it's a good indicator of the shifting sales pattern.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:51 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
The day will come when Detroit becomes so uncool, they'll be cool again.

This aint your father's Toyota!
Old 08-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
^ I think California was picked not to convey a sense of trendsetting, but rather, it's the highest populated state in the US, and thus, the article feels that it's a good indicator of the shifting sales pattern.

Originally Posted by Article in Gavrill's post
But California is worth watching not only because it's a big market but also because it's a trendsetter. And California motorists continue to favor import brands.
Sounds like both the "trendsetting" and "population" hold equal weight, with regard to the article's California reference.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:18 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Oops, guess I missed that part.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:22 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't call it a killing.....a killing is the big 3 having no cars in the top ten.

A 30% hit rate isn't as bad as I thought. For all the hype about truck sales being down the seeing a truck in the top spot and the sole hit for the big 3 isn't any reason to give up on the trucks just yet.

I doubt our local contractor/builders in America could do crap with a Prius hybrid. But that Tacoma should worry a few.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
The day will come when Detroit becomes so uncool, they'll be cool again.

This aint your father's Toyota!
LOL I dont doubt that, the way things are going.... LOL
Old 08-23-2006, 09:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by MrChad
I wouldn't call it a killing.....a killing is the big 3 having no cars in the top ten.

A 30% hit rate isn't as bad as I thought. For all the hype about truck sales being down the seeing a truck in the top spot and the sole hit for the big 3 isn't any reason to give up on the trucks just yet.

I doubt our local contractor/builders in America could do crap with a Prius hybrid. But that Tacoma should worry a few.
Agreed but if you take out the trucks, there is nothing left for the Big 3 (or 2) to show on that list. Not one offering.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:04 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
Agreed but if you take out the trucks, there is nothing left for the Big 3 (or 2) to show on that list. Not one offering.
Ok, now how far are they outside the top 10? 11, 15, 25? 55?

Plus this list did not include fleet sales, ok so you may argue that fleet sales are gimmie's for the big 3. And they only inflat the sales of their boring sedans.

If the big 3 isn't giving cars to the Rental and fleet groups who would have too, Toyota, Nissan, Honda?

So would the resale value of the Camry be as high if every 6mo. Thousands of 75,000mi Camrys (same year) models got dumped into the system when Hertz used them up?

The big 3 do tend to help the resale value and MSRP of the imports. If you didn't have a cheap Malibu or Taurus from the big 3 in the system. Toyota and Honda would be under cutting each other at some point to make a sale as those cheapy 3 wouldn't be out there to do it for them.

Plus how long can the Accord and Camry be the no. 1 seller before people start buying those other cars because they want something different.

I'll also argue that unlike the big 3 trucks; they have hordes of competing cars within there own line ups.

By comparison the imports have only a handful of sedans. So clearly grouping Accord volume sales looks really impressive. But the Equinox, Vue, and Torent cross overs are all basically the same cross over, made at the same plant, selling for the same price point (as apposed to a Camry and ES300). Should we group the the 3 GM x-over Twins as one model to reflect sales vs. the highlander or CRV?

By comparison Ford sells only (1) F150. Silverado sales may look stronger if GM didn't also have a GMC of the same type price point in their mix.

So the question is, do you want to sell a ton of one thing under one name, or do you want to sell a ton of the same thing under 3 names? If your plant assets don't care why should you? The plants don't know the difference between a Torent and Equinox.

I don't think the big 3 problem is volume of units sold, I think the issue is number of units sold vs. plants making them. That's the number we should worry about.

How many North American plants make the Honda Accord? I think it's 1. How many NA plants did Ford have making the Taurus/Sable at lower volumes? At least 2 or 3. That's what's killing the big 3, not volume of units sold. Number of assets and workers making that volume sold.

We all know the number one problem killing the big 3, and it's not selling cars.