Comments from Consumer Reports website

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 09:09 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Comments from Consumer Reports website

This is from an exchange between a subscriber and one of the Auto editors. The discussion is open at the site only to those of us who subscribe -

I'm an empty-nester searching for a car below $40,000 that is just for me. I've been through the mini-van stage (2 Dodge Caravans) and would really like a car or truck that's worth the money. I need minimal passenger seats (the back seat of my current car, a Mercury Mystique, is in pristine condition, since few have sat there), some luxury, and some cargo room. I've considered the Acura TSX and TL, but I'm not crazy about the new wedge shape and I don't need a sedan. Besides, consumer sites, such as Edmunds, J.D. Power, and Consumer Guide have conflicting ratings of these cars--no resounding endorsement. Does Consumer Reports have any rating yet of the Tl or TSX? A number of Acura owners at various forums post negative comments about transmission problems, squeaks and rattles, and problems with seats, upholstry, etc. They talk about the declining quality of Acuras and Hondas. Is this true? Is there any car out there you can trust? The BMW isn't even reliable anymore.

Our data and experiences have shown Acura’s to be very good, even recently. The interiors of the TSX and the TL are exceptional. Either may be a very good choice.