Car Wax / Polish / Wash Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 11:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Wax / Polish / Wash Recommendations

What do people recommend for washing, waxing or polishing their prized TL to keep it looking showroom new? I've seen people post that they use the Zaino brand? Is this a good brand and which specific products would you recommend? Can you buy it at a physical store or can you only order it online? I am looking for a product which is long lasting and durable, since I can be lazy sometimes in cleaning my car.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Zaino is your best bet then. It's a synthetic wax and lasts several months; the carnauba waxes wear off much faster. The drawback is it's only available online. I personally use Zymol (cleaner) wax, readily available and affordable. It gives a better, "wetter" shine, but the protectant wears off in a couple months.

Swirl marks are your enemy. Do it right from the start. I would buy a good microfiber wash mitt. Lamb skin mitts are good too, but they wear out easily and are harder to maintain. For buffing I recommend Viper microfiber buffing cloths. For drying, the Big Blue microfiber towel is an excellent investment. Yes, microfiber is the wave of the future. Find out more info and browse these products at: www.properautocare.com
Old 11-02-2003, 12:39 AM
Racer

Originally posted by RJC RSX
I personally use Zymol (cleaner) wax, readily available and affordable. It gives a better, "wetter" shine, but the protectant wears off in a couple months.

...and it's made by turtle wax. Look on the back of the bottle.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by ssm_tsx
...and it's made by turtle wax. Look on the back of the bottle.
it isn't on the back of my bottle, although there may be a really cheap version available relabeled as zymol. I've heard it's just distributed by Turtle Wax. Whatever the case, Zymol is a superior product and is regarded very highly, with some waxes that literally cost over $1,000
Old 11-02-2003, 08:45 AM
Luck favors the ignorant.

Zaino is by far one of the best and fastest to apply polishes out there. I can do my Vette in about 4 hours and that is going thru 5 different steps and drying times. And I am talking if you are doing it the first time and have to strip any old wax and road material. Once you have the base done you can maintain it in under an hour. It will last with proper maintance about eight month to a year depending if the car is a daily driver. Zaino is usually sold at any of the high end car shows for Vettes, Exotics, or Classics. With few exceptions Zaino is used by almost everyone I have met at car shows. Zaino is NOT a wax, it is a polish. And if you use Z1, Z2 and then Z6 you will get damn good UV protection as well.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I third Zaino polish. In fact, I just did my car yesterday and I have new pix to post:

Dawn to wash car to wash off any previous wax/polish
Z-18 Claybar (using Z-7 carwash as lubricant)--it's amazing how much dirt is left on the car after even a thorough wash!!!
Z-7 wash
Z-2 (for cars with clear finish like ours) mixed in ZFX rapid activator
Z-6 for UV protection and better shine
Z-2 w/ZFX, layer 2
Z-6 again

Voila! I have my winter layer of polish! I'll be handwashing during the winter with Z-7 as I did with my 2002.

Have to redo the hood, though....a box flew up at my hood on the freeway and there crap/adhesive? on the hood and front bumper that won't come off!!!! I didn't even bother to Zaino the front bumper until I can figure out how to get it off. Hoping it won't come to a repaint.

Edit: Forgot to mention....I do the full Zaino job twice a year and maintain it with Z-7 washes and Z-6 after each wash.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:54 AM
Intermediate

Seems like everyone recommends Zaino. Do you think that I should get the Zaino Bros' Total Protection Show Car Kit, since I am starting new with Zaino?
It comes with the following items for $85:

ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive
Z-2™ Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes
Z-5™ Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches
Z-6™ Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray
Z-7™ Show Car Wash
Z-18™ ClayBar
& TWO Zaino Bros' Custom Polish Applicator for FREE!

The only one I really don't need is Z-5.

Do other people use microfiber cloths for washing their cars?
Old 11-02-2003, 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

what color is your car?
Old 11-02-2003, 01:13 PM
Intermediate

Silver
Old 11-02-2003, 06:38 PM
Luck favors the ignorant.

Originally posted by rkozono
Seems like everyone recommends Zaino. Do you think that I should get the Zaino Bros' Total Protection Show Car Kit, since I am starting new with Zaino?
It comes with the following items for $85:

ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive
Z-2™ Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes
Z-5™ Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches
Z-6™ Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray
Z-7™ Show Car Wash
Z-18™ ClayBar
& TWO Zaino Bros' Custom Polish Applicator for FREE!

The only one I really don't need is Z-5.

Do other people use microfiber cloths for washing their cars?
Yeppers, I have 12 ready for the day I wash and Zaino. If one hits the ground, I toss it and grab a new one. Not worth risking a small rock, twig or leaf to scratch the paint job or polish.

I go the slower route on Zaino:
Dawn, Clay, Z7, Z1, Z2, Z6 for the base. And then the following week I do Z2, Z6, Z5, Z2, Z6. Damn near like a mirror when done.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

you can tell if zymol is from turtle wax by the price... and if you find it at pep boys... that's not the real zymol but it does a good job nonetheless.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:04 AM
My other "car" is a 4x4

A couple of months ago I purchased the starter kit from Zaino. I had previously been using Meguiar's Gold Class polish.

After using Zaino, one thing I definitely noice is the much smaller amount of powdery dust/residue that results when buffing the dried product off the car. That's a good thing. And I must say that the Zaino makes my TSX look great. I applied 2 coats of each of Z2 and Z6.

I used the clay bar as well, but the paint was smooth already, so it didn't have much added benefit.

Finally. I should add that I applied Zaino tp my truck, which sees a fair amount of dust (dirt roads). It seemed like the dust "stuck" to the paint where Zaino was applied, but tended not to stick where it hadn't been applied. I cannot recall whether I used Z6 on the truck, though, which means I have to do more testing... next year.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep it simple, for years I have been using cheap, old New Finish. I have bought all the expensive stuff, Zymol, Meguiars, Zaino and cheap stuff rain dance, turtle wax and even rallye you name it. Nothing has even come close to the ease of application durabilty and shine of that simple polymer. Use it twice a year and that's it. I also use rain x religiously. For touch up I have found armor all wipes quite handy, although I use them only in an essentially clean car (worry about scratches).
Old 11-11-2003, 08:57 PM
Racer

Gotta agree with the Zaino recommendations. If you want to make it really easy get the flashcure stuff, it makes application really fast. I do about 5 or 6 coats total on my cars and it lasts for a very long time. Great stuff.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:10 PM
TSX, baby!

Without a doubt - ZAINO! http://www.zainostore.com