Cadillac XLR-V News **Full Test by C&D (page 5)**

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 12:06 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
let's take a closer look...... are these gauges really all that bad????

notice it says "BVLGARI" on the bezel of the speedo.... well now SEE!????! THIS is why it costs so much. hey, if you want the finer things in life, you gotta pay.

the fonts used in GM interiors has been a pet-peeve of mine since the late 80's..... using better fonts would work WONDERS for these cars...

Looks worse on the close-up pic
I'm with you on the font...it's horrible.
A font change would help some.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:29 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Looks worse on the close-up pic
I'm with you on the font...it's horrible.
A font change would help some.
Grasping at straws, who cares.........its a hot car.

Don't think there are too many people here who would mind having this underneath their hoods.

This is what really matters.

Old 10-13-2005, 07:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Minch00
To be honest, do you really think Cadillac is on par with people's mindset towards Honda/Toyota, etc? To many people, Cadillac is the pinnacle of luxury, even when it isn't. The XLR is for the people who grew up with the big fins and the color pink readily available on their Caddys, and can now afford to buy one. Go be a Continent-whore if you'd like, I'll be in my XLR-V cruising past when your SL is on the roadside paging assistance for itself.

Cadillac will sell everyone of these it produces. End of story.

Cadillac is no longer the pinnacle of luxury, no where even close. Baby boomers know that they are no longer the Cadillacs that they grew up driving. They have switched to BMWs, Lexus', MB, and Audi's. This car will have a hard time selling at 100K. I hardly see any regular XLR's and I live in one of the richest counties in America(not that I am bragging, just making a point).
Old 10-13-2005, 11:33 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Beltfed
Grasping at straws, who cares.........its a hot car.

Don't think there are too many people here who would mind having this underneath their hoods.

This is what really matters.
The engine & power is fantastic...no one disputes that.
Bottom line: For a 100k car, the interior leaves much to be desired.
The interior is good for a GM product, but compare it to other luxury and sport/exotics in the 80k-120k price range, and you will find the Caddy interior design is neither very lux or sport.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maximized
Cadillac is no longer the pinnacle of luxury, no where even close. Baby boomers know that they are no longer the Cadillacs that they grew up driving. They have switched to BMWs, Lexus', MB, and Audi's. This car will have a hard time selling at 100K. I hardly see any regular XLR's and I live in one of the richest counties in America(not that I am bragging, just making a point).

The reason you see so few XLRs is because Cadillac kept their numbers extremely limited so when you did see one, you'd feel like it was special. I've seen a few around, but for ever XLR is see, I see ten SLs. And people still think of Cadillac as a good brand, why else would there be so many Escalades on the road when you can get a Denali or even Tahoe for cheaper?
Old 10-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

The reason you see so few XLRs is because Cadillac kept their numbers extremely limited so when you did see one, you'd feel like it was special. I've seen a few around, but for ever XLR is see, I see ten SLs. And people still think of Cadillac as a good brand, why else would there be so many Escalades on the road when you can get a Denali or even Tahoe for cheaper?
BS....That would be one of the dumbest things for a company in GM's position to do. They are limited because of the lack of demand, simple as that. Profits are what GM and their shareholders need and holding back production when demand is there is not a smart business move.

Escalades sell because they are "cool". Nice vehicle, but nothing special.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Pit Stop?

BS....That would be one of the dumbest things for a company in GM's position to do. They are limited because of the lack of demand, simple as that. Profits are what GM and their shareholders need and holding back production when demand is there is not a smart business move.

Volume will be modest, with the factory at Bowling Green, Kentucky (where Corvettes are built), producing only three cars per hour, or no more than 6000 per year.
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=2

I'm trying to find the correct article, but that one gives you some insight.

Last edited by Minch00; 10-13-2005 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Suzuka Master

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=2

I'm trying to find the correct article, but that one gives you some insight.

It's called sales forecasting. GM doesn't have a high demand for the vehicles, so they lower their production run. If they had demand, assuming excess capacity, they would produce more than 6K.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Safety Car

What's your point? Same reason the Range Rover sells... because they're "cool."
Old 10-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Not Asian

Cadillac Prepares Limited Production STS-V And XLR-V Models

DETROIT – The 2006 Cadillac STS-V and XLR-V take the performance and luxury attributes of the brand’s growing V-Series lineup to their fullest extent. Debuting in late-2005 (STS-V) and early-2006 (XLR-V), these new supercharged Cadillac’s represent an historic combination of performance technology and hand-crafted elegance.

The 469-horsepower 2006 STS-V is the most powerful Cadillac ever offered.

The STS-V is capable of exceptional performance for an automobile of its size, while also providing a high degree of hand-crafted interior luxury. Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) will be $77,090, including destination. Production of the STS-V will be limited to ensure its exclusivity in the marketplace.

The 443-horsepower XLR-V is the quickest and most agile Cadillac ever offered, while also providing a very high degree of hand-crafted interior luxury. Cadillac announced today that the MSRP for the XLR-V in the U.S. market will be $100,000, including destination. Like the STS-V, production of the XLR-V will be very limited to ensure exclusivity. Both the STS-V and XLR-V will be exported to international markets in 2006, with details on pricing in markets outside the U.S. forthcoming.

“These additions to the V-Series lineup mark a new phase of Cadillac’s ongoing renaissance,” says Jim Taylor, Cadillac general manager. “With an elite level of driving performance, and an added element of hand-crafted elegance, STS-V and XLR-V present a new alternative for the most discerning consumers.”

Both the STS-V and XLR-V combine advanced technology with hand craftsmanship that harkens back to Cadillac’s origins as a custom luxury coach builder. The Supercharged Northstar V-8 engine powering the STS-V and XLR-V is hand assembled to exacting standards at GM’s Performance Build Center in Wixom , Mich. Each engine is built from start to finish by a single expert craftsman.

The interiors of both cars feature extensive use of leather wrapped surfaces, created by craftsmen who cut, wrap and sew leather around components individually. The 2006 STS-V and XLR-V marks the initial phase of a new approach to vehicle interiors for Cadillac. In this first incarnation, the existing luxury interiors of the STS sedan and XLR roadster are significantly enhanced for the limited-production V-Series variants.

Kinetic aluminum accents adorn the steering wheel and instrument panel. STS-V features deep-tinted Olive Ash Burl wood accenting the center stack and door trim. XLR-V uses exotic Zingana wood trim.

“Creating vehicles such as STS-V and XLR-V adds an element of exclusivity and customization that is highly valued by luxury consumers,” Taylor says. “These vehicles are an opportunity for Cadillac to extend the performance and elegance of our product range, exploring the full potential of our vehicles.”

Both STS-V and XLR-V feature the new 4.4-liter Supercharged Northstar V-8 engine, paired with a new 6-speed automatic transmission with Driver Shift Control. This powerful combination enables 0-to-60 (mph) acceleration in less than five seconds. Both the STS-V and XLR-V include numerous chassis enhancements providing outstanding overall performance, developed and tuned at some of the world’s most demanding environments.

Cadillac’s limited production V-Series was founded by the CTS-V, a 400-hp version of Cadillac’s sport sedan launched to wide acclaim in 2004. Cadillac’s V-Series products are designed to be fully competitive with the world’s finest high-performance luxury cars, at prices thousands less than comparable entries.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:18 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
I will never buy that for $100k...WTF Are you serious???? That is the most crappiest $100k car I ever seen. OH WOW!! it got 400hp!!~ who cares....
yes, It is well made car but I don't see where all that $100k went to??? Everything seems boring and dry. I rather drive freaking porsche but thats different story tho.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by titan
What's your point? Same reason the Range Rover sells... because they're "cool."
My point is that Escalades sell because they are cool or trendy. There was an article in Automotive News about this a while back. Range Rovers are actually really nice cars with good content. They don't sell because it's a cool car.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Safety Car

My point is that Escalades sell because they are cool or trendy. There was an article in Automotive News about this a while back. Range Rovers are actually really nice cars with good content. They don't sell because it's a cool car.
They probably both sell to a lot of consumers for the same reasons and I'm pretty sure the Range Rover falls under a cool SUV to own.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Safety Car

I also don't think Cadillac is ready for the 100k market, especially with this car. They are barely ready for the 75k market. It would be pretty sad if the z06 outsold the xlr in that price segment.

Now if they build something that looks like the Sixteen concept, then yes, a car looking like that could take on the big dogs.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Running With Big Dogs Now - - Cadillac XLR-V takes a back seat to no one - - By KEVIN A. WILSON - - Source: Autoweek

AT A GLANCE:

2006 CADILLAC XLR-V
ON SALE: Now Base price: $100,000
POWERTRAIN: 4.4-liter, 443-hp, 425-lb-ft supercharged V8; rwd, six-speed automatic
CURB WEIGHT: 3810 lbs 0 to 60 mph: 4.6 seconds
FUEL MILEAGE: 15/22 mpg (mfr.)

Cadillac's ambitions to play on the global luxury stage reach new heights with the XLR-V, on sale now. Consider: a 443-hp supercharged two-seater with retractable hardtop, a showcase for its maker’s technological acumen, priced at a nice round $100,000.

As a flagship sports car for a luxury marque, XLR-V’s closest analog is the Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG, the performance edition of a classic statement in automotive taste, refinement and engineering. Other competitors include the Jaguar XKR convertible, the Lexus SC 430 and the BMW 6 Series cabrio. Of that crowd, only the Mercedes and Cadillac are true two-seaters.

How does Cadillac fare in this company?

Amazingly well. We drove the XLR-V on a round trip from San Diego inland, over the mountains and through parkland to the desert resort town of Borrego Springs, and it proved far more than competent. It is alternately elegant, smooth and inspiring, delighting its driver in dozens of ways and disappointing in none. Well, unless you really can’t get used to its styling, a brashly American statement that emerges from the intersection of an Eldorado, the F-111 Stealth Nighthawk fighter and Luke Skywalker’s X-wing. Regardless, this is one heck of an automobile, and the most fun we’ve had in a Cadillac.

Last year, although its market segment shrank 17 percent, the XLR gained 7 percent in sales, so its share rose from 12 percent in 2004 to 14 percent in 2005. At the same time it topped the J.D. Power APEAL survey for the segment. Now comes the V version, with a powertrain that takes a back seat to no one.

The XLR shares architecture with the Chevrolet Corvette (GM refers to it as its “performance car platform”). The differentiation between performance variants (Z06 and XLR-V), though, is even more starkly defined than the distinction between base models.

In place of the Vette’s 6.0-liter normally aspirated pushrod V8, the Cadillac mounts the 4.4-liter supercharged dohc Northstar SC, a sophisticated and refined engine it shares with the STS-V. Note the SC displaces 200 cc less than the Northstar VVT on which it is based—the bore is a little smaller to keep the block strong enough for the 12 pounds of supercharger boost while maintaining the quiet character demanded in the luxury segment.

Neatly packaged into the vee of the engine block is a Roots-type blower with the biggest impeller in the business housed beneath the intake manifold. Indeed, the underside of the manifold is the top side of the supercharger housing, and the assembly incorporates its own intercoolers. More than half the components in a Northstar SC—Cadillac’s first forced-induction engine—differ from the regular Northstar, starting with the sand-cast (rather than die-cast) block with cooling passages featuring 50 percent better flow rates.

This Northstar SC is a thorough reengineering of the powerplant with an eye not just on maximizing output (though 100 hp/liter is nothing to sneeze at), but also on matching or exceeding the noise, vibration and harshness standards set by the world’s best. Each of these engines is assembled by a single craftsman at a dedicated performance engine factory in Michigan before being shipped to Bowling Green, Kentucky, for installation in the cars.

The focus on refinement pays off with a high-performance edition that is notably quieter and smoother than the base car. At idle or in steady cruising, the engine is so silky you would conclude this is no performance car. It’s actually quieter at 3600 rpm than the base XLR. Where is the vibration rumbling your innards? Where’s that coarse edge itching at your right foot?

Tromp hard on it, though, and a valve opens in the exhaust system to yield a serious growl that tells the driver he has just climbed onto the back of a tiger. The decibel level is just a little louder at redline than the stock car’s, but with a more aggressive note that says, “Pay attention now.” The XLR-V will run 0 to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds, says Cadillac, and turn a quarter-mile dash into a 13.0-second romp.

The engine mounts entirely behind the front axle and thrust reaches the rear wheels via an automatic transaxle mounted at the rear. GM’s new six-speed unit executes nearly imperceptible shifts on its own or responds promptly in Driver Shift Control mode to quick taps of the lever.

Central as the powertrain is to the XLR-V, it isn’t the whole story. The standard Magnetic Ride Control suspension is recalibrated to deliver firmer control at speed without sacrificing ride comfort, and goes into its own new stiff performance mode when the driver selects that transmission program.

Mechanically, there are a bigger and thicker front antiroll bar and a rear bar the base XLR lacks, stiffer control-arm bushings, upgraded steering and low-friction ball joints to improve steering feel.

The XLR-V mounts its own 10-spoke, 19-inch wheels all around, with 235/45 front and 255/40 rear Pirelli performance tires (vs. the standard all-weather Michelins in lesser XLRs). Overall there is 13 percent less body roll, the engineer’s metric for steering response improves 12 percent (heck, we can’t measure it, but we can sure feel it), and it has all been validated at the Nürburgring. The V model needs extra coolers for engine oil, transmission oil and power steering fluid, and the bodywork has appropriate extra vents.

The XLR-V cabin boasts hand-stitched leather trim on the windshield header and all around the upper half of the cockpit for a warmer, more crafted appearance, with both aluminum accents and Zingana wood trim.

Adaptive Forward Lighting turns the headlights for improved night vision. Sensors assess speed and steering angle to determine how far and how quickly the lights turn, up to 15 degrees outboard and five degrees inboard.

Trimmings include the V-line’s wire-mesh front grilles, a powerdome on the hood, and four polished stainless-steel exhaust tips.

Don’t you get more power in the Z06 for less money? Yes, but you also get less refinement and fewer trimmings, not to mention the Cadillac’s more expensive technologies. If you measure cars purely by numbers, the Z06 wins, but there are other measuring sticks.

Okay, you say, but the XLR-V also makes less power than the SL55 AMG. Performance, though, is nearly a dead heat. Tipping the scales at 3810 pounds, the Cadillac weighs 400 pounds less than the Mercedes. At 1.1 liter less displacement but only a 50-hp deficit, the Cadillac engine is actually the more efficient one. The Mercedes costs $25,000 more.

Styling and badge cachet might tilt the decision. Cadillac plans to build hundreds, not thousands of XLR-Vs for sale worldwide. Choose from Infra Red, Platinum or Raven (black) paint, though Cadillac is as willing as any maker in this segment to accommodate a customer who wants something special and doesn’t much care about what it costs to get it.

To that customer, the car’s $100,000 sticker is a bold assertion that Cadillac stands among the world’s best. That’s an assertion that our first drive suggests the XLR-V can support.

----------------------------------

SPECIFICATIONS: 2006 CADILLAC XLR-V
Overview
Model: 2006 Cadillac XLR-V luxury roadster
Body style / driveline: 2-door high-performance hardtop convertible with rear-wheel-drive
Construction: hydroformed perimeter frame, structural center tunnel, aluminum cockpit frame
Manufacturing location: Bowling Green , Ky.
Key competitors: Mercedes Benz SL 55 AMG Roadster, Lexus SC Convertible, Jaguar XKR Convertible
Engine
Type: Northstar V-8 SC
Configuration: supercharged 4.4L DOHC V-8
Displacement (cu in / cc): 267 / 4371
Bore & stroke: 91 mm x 84 mm
Block material: upper – sand-cast 319 T7 aluminum lower – die-cast aluminum
Cylinder head material: 319 T7 semi-permanent mold cast aluminum alloy
Valvetrain: roller follower DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, variable valve timing
Ignition system: coil-on-plug with extended-life dual platinum-tipped spark plugs
Fuel delivery: returnless, electronic sequential fuel injection
Compression ratio: 9.0:1
Horsepower (hp / kw @ rpm): 443 / 330 @ 6400 rpm (SAE certified*)
Torque (lb-ft / Nm @ rpm): 414 / 561 @ 3600 rpm (SAE certified*) 90-percent of peak torque available between 2200 and 6000 rpm
Recommended fuel: premium required
Maximum engine speed (rpm @ fuel shutoff): 6700
Emissions controls: · BIN8/EURO 4 compliant · close-coupled catalytic converters · EGR and AIR not required · meets Federal, California , and LEV2 evaporative emissions standards
Transmission
Type: Hydra-Matic 6L80six-speed, rear-wheel-drive, electronically controlled, automatic overdrive transmission with torque converter clutch. Clutch-to-clutch architecture with integral electro/hydraulic control module
Gear ratios:
First: 4.02
Second: 2.36
Third: 1.53
Fourth: 1.15
Fifth: 0.85
Sixth: 0.67
Reverse: -3.06
Maximum shift speed: 6500 rpm
Final drive: 2.56
Chassis/Suspension
Front: short/long arm ( SLA ) double wishbone, cast aluminum upper & lower control arms, transverse-mounted composite leaf spring, Magnetic Ride Control
Rear: short/long arm ( SLA ) double wishbone, cast aluminum upper & lower control arms, transverse-mounted composite leaf spring, Magnetic Ride Control
Traction control system: full-range
Stabilizer bar: front: hollow, 28.6 by 4.5 mm wall thickness rear: hollow, 23.6 by 3.5 mm wall thickness
Steering type: Magnasteer power-assisted rack-and-pinion
Steering wheel turns, lock-to-lock: 2.9
Turning circle, curb-to-curb (ft / m): 39 / 11.9
Brakes
Type: heavy duty with cross-drilled rotors and high-performance brake linings, dual piston front calipers and single-piston rear calipers. Power-assist with 4-channel ABS front and rear.
Rotor diameter x thickness (in / mm): front: 13.4 / 340.4 x 1.3 / 32 rear: 13 / 330.2 x 1 / 26
Wheels/Tires
Wheel size and type: front: aluminum, 19 x 8.5 rear: aluminum, 19 x 8.5
Tires: front: P235/45R-19 – Pirelli Run Flat rear: P255/40R-19 – Pirelli Run Flat
Dimensions
Exterior
Length (in / mm): 177.7 / 4513
Width (in / mm): 72.3 / 1836
Height (in / mm): 50.4 / 1279
Wheelbase (in / mm): 105.7 / 2685
Tread - front (in / mm) (C/L of at ground): 61.63 / 1564.4
Tread - rear (in / mm) (C/L of at ground): 62.13 / 1578.16
Interior
Seating capacity (front / rear): 2 / 0
Headroom (in / mm): 37.6 / 955
Legroom (in / mm): 42.6 / 1083
Shoulder room (in / mm): 54.3 / 1380
Hip room (in / mm): 53 / 1346
Capacities
Fuel tank (gal / L): 18 / 68.1
Engine oil (qt / L): 7.5 / 7.1
Seating capacity (front / rear): 2 / 0
Curb weight (lb / kg) estimated: 3804 / 1726

Old 02-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

This is a very positive review for the XLRV from Autoweek. Nice.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Pretty good review, but I don't know if I could pay 100K for a Cadillac. I personally would rather have a 650ci.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

IL Exclusive: Michael Jordan Picks Cadillac XLR-V as First American Car - - Source:
Edmunds.com

CHICAGO — Perhaps taking a cue from rapper Snoop Dogg, who buttonholed Dieter Zetsche for a new Chrysler 300C, former Chicago Bulls star Michael Jordan took delivery of one of the first 2006 Cadillac XLR-Vs in the country from none other than Cadillac general manager Jim Taylor.

IL has learned that Taylor had his team personally deliver the car to Jordan's home here. In fact, Cadillac drove over an entire semi-truck with three XLR-Vs — representing each of the three exterior colors (Infra Red, Black Raven, Light Platinum) — so that the basketball legend could pick his favorite.

Jordan chose a red car. The purchase price: a cool $100,000. As a little extra, Cadillac threw in a set of custom side sills with Jordan's signature etched in aluminum, insiders told IL.

Jordan is said to have confided to Taylor that he has 40 cars in his personal collection but that the XLR-V is his first American car.

What this means to you: The all-American athlete acquires an all-American performance car. And if it's true that his stable of cars has been all-import until now, it's about time.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:29 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a hot car, but i wish they dumped the LS7 in it. But it would have been too raw i guess.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:48 AM
go like hell

this is my take on the XLR-V. I think it's over priced.
around 90-100 grand.
I'd take a SLK55 AMG. for 60 grand you can get that. yeah it's 50 hp less than the Caddy.
for about 30-40 grand I think I can bring it up to "par" with the caddy.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Water-S
this is my take on the XLR-V. I think it's over priced.
around 90-100 grand.
I'd take a SLK55 AMG. for 60 grand you can get that. yeah it's 50 hp less than the Caddy.
for about 30-40 grand I think I can bring it up to "par" with the caddy.
I agree and disagree a little. The XLR-V is a nice car, no doubt about it. But I would buy a SL55 for $25,000 more instead of going less with the SLK55.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Jordan has owned Vette's in the past, so the article is wrong.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,342 Likes on 5,253 Posts
thats pretty sad if its the first American car MJ has bought... I mean really. For some reason though I thought he had Vettes in the past... but thinking more I guess he has been more of a Ferrari guy.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator

hahaha...
Old 03-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by srika
hahaha...
His one Vette said Jump 23. I guess us Chicago guys would only know this
Old 03-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

yup.... we also know the black 512TR with plates "NOT MJ"
Old 03-22-2006, 02:44 PM
Race Director

That's it, time to drive by and see MJ's estate! :P

My friend told me that his former coworker saw MJ's house and it's in the northern IL?
Old 03-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
But, will it be enough to save GM...?
Old 03-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
That's it, time to drive by and see MJ's estate! :P

My friend told me that his former coworker saw MJ's house and it's in the northern IL?
Highland Park..

42°12'6.71"N

87°50'15.04"W

Old 03-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I think the V looks hot. If i had the $$ id probably take one. I do agree however that it should be a little less pricey
Old 03-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bigman
It's a hot car, but i wish they dumped the LS7 in it. But it would have been too raw i guess.
Naw... I like the idea of having the engine that's unique to Caddy.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:57 PM
I'm back, biatch.

I was just about to post that.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by titan
Naw... I like the idea of having the engine that's unique to Caddy.
I also don't think it would fly with buyers. The LS7 is a low tech engine and this is a 100K car going against engines that are all DOHC. The Northstar is an amazing engine.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Mile High

When I was in Chicago when I was younger, I remember seeing a black tinted Corvette right next to us at a stoplight downtown....the license plate was "MJ AIR"
Old 03-22-2006, 08:27 PM
hail to the victors

MJ was big on porsche.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by chungkopi
MJ was big on porsche.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_...jordan/940919/

Several years ago, as Michael Jordan was zipping through a suburban Chicago parking lot in his white Porsche, two speeding cars suddenly appeared in his rearview mirror.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:53 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe should someone teach them how to use google?

The car pictured here has been owned by basketball player Michael Jordan, and the driver's seat has been modified to fit a man of his size.
http://www.sportscarmarket.com/profi...can/index.html

Maybe it's the only American car in his current collection?
Old 03-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Maybe Cadillac paid Edmunds to say it was his "first" American car...
Old 05-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Road Test Review: 2006 Cadillac XLR-V

Road Test Review: 2006 Cadillac XLR-V - - BY BARRY WINFIELD - - PHOTOGRAPHY BY JIM FETS - - March 2006 - - Source: CarandDriver

Highs: High performance with everyday usability.

Lows: Limited storage space, somewhat uninvolving to drive.

The Verdict: A Vette that’s gone to Cadillac’s finishing school.

Cadillac’s V-series is to that nameplate what AMG is to Mercedes or M is to BMW. It’s the high-performance wing of the company, where the original product (and its price) gets kicked up some serious notches. It is also a pretty brave enterprise at Cadillac. Running up your colors in the company of cars that define the art of corporate hot rodding is an unmistakable signal of intent.

With its XLR-V, Cadillac puts a player in among the SL55 AMGs and Jaguar XKRs of the world — cars with performance and pedigree to spare. So how does the XLR-V match up, this low-slung, high-end pretender to the thrones of Europe?

In some areas, very well indeed. The new 4.4-liter supercharged version of GM’s Northstar V-8 is an exceedingly sophisticated engine. Pressurized by a GM-designed and -patented Roots-type blower made by Eaton, the engine supplies prodigious torque throughout most of its operating range. Continuously variable valve timing at all four cams undoubtedly helps spread the available torque around so the car almost always responds to a jab at the pedal with a surge of acceleration.

The Northstar is also endowed with desirable versatility, able to purr around at lower engine speeds as befits a luxury marque, then snarl to the redline with almost shocking ferocity. Part of this Jekyll-and-Hyde act is due to a muffler that suppresses low-rev noise levels and then switches to a more free-flowing mode at higher speeds when a vacuum-operated valve opens, allowing the exhaust gases a more direct path to the atmosphere.

Also part of this suave schizophrenia is a host of detail work done on the Northstar to retain necessary levels of refinement along with elevated power output. The reduction in displacement (from 4.6 to 4.4 liters) was achieved by reducing the size of the cylinder bore — thus increasing the amount of metal between those cylinders — and was considered necessary in the interests of durability. That blower is housed in a casting that is integrated with the Laminova tube-type intercooler and the intake tract in one rigid unit, and it works extremely well at reducing unwanted supercharger whine.

The engine block is a unique casting that provides improved coolant flow and has a new oil gallery to supply under-piston cooling jets. Lower-compression cast-alloy pistons necessitated a rebalancing of the crankshaft, and the accessory drive required a redesign and a new, wider three-sheave pulley to power the blower. That’s no small issue, since the supercharger soaks up nearly 80 horsepower at maximum speed.

Still, the engine manages to keep some of that extra power to itself, punching out 443 horsepower at 6400 rpm, enough to propel this 3840-pound convertible to 60 mph in 4.7 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 13 seconds flat. More important to everyday users is the 414 pound-feet of torque, of which 90 percent is available between 2200 and 6000 rpm.

All that torque just about precludes the need for a downshift in most scenarios, but the intelligent 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission will probably hand you one (or two) anyway when you squeeze the throttle. This rear-mounted six-speed provides almost intuitive response to a driver’s inputs with Caddy’s performance shift algorithm, which refrains from shifting up on a trailing throttle when cornering. It can be operated in manumatic mode by tapping the lever into an adjacent selector slot. This action also informs the magnetorheological shocks to switch to sportier settings.

The XLR-V’s chassis is upgraded from the naturally aspirated base model’s by having a solid front anti-roll bar, a rear anti-roll bar (not present on the V-less XLR), stiffer rear lower-control-arm bushings, and a recalibrated ride program. All of this results in a flat and well-controlled stance on the road, and the ride is still considerably better than that of the Corvette with which this car shares so much platform architecture. At least part of that arises from the more-modest tire sizes, increased though they are from those of the base XLR.

In supercharged form, the XLR-V wears 19-inch wheels and rubber, but with nothing like the width found on its Corvette cousins. The rear tires are 255/40R-19 Pirelli run-flats. (The Vette runs 285s on “normal” models and 325s on the Z06.) The result is a car that can be used as an everyday commuter with far less drama and inconvenience than can its bow-tie-badged brothers.

Smaller tires affect the car in other ways, of course. On the skidpad, we could only wring 0.87 g out of the XLR-V, which was far below GM’s claim of 0.94. Also, the braking distance was a longish 176 feet, despite the V-series brake upgrade — basically a set of Z51-spec rotors and calipers also lifted from the Corvette parts bin. These small compromises in overall performance are worth tolerating for the comfort and luxury you get in exchange.

Noise levels are low enough — some road roar aside — to allow full enjoyment of the nine-speaker Bose stereo with the hardtop in place. The Caddy has a navigation system, dual-zone climate controls, fully powered seats, keyless door opening and engine operation, and the tactile delights of French-stitched leather coverings throughout the interior. These improve the ambiance considerably. The XLR always suffered somewhat from the modern angularity of its design. The V-series textural additions soften the overall effect.

In trying to strike the important balance between high-performance integrity and luxurious isolation, the XLR-V occasionally falls between two stools. On some road surfaces we noted a little body-structure quiver like that of the stiffly sprung Corvette, yet on the ubiquitous grooved concrete freeways of Los Angeles, the car proved surprisingly smooth and tranquil.

Cadillac employs GM’s magnetic steering mechanism to vary effort, and although the XLR-V’s wheel feels a little leaden at low speeds, it improves to a reasonable heft in the driver’s hands as speed rises. But the wheel never transmits the stimulating feedback you get in the best sports cars. To be fair, though, the XLR-V’s likely competitors in this market — the BMW 650i, the Mercedes SL55 AMG, the Lexus SC430 — have similarly inert steering mechanisms.

We can’t complain about steering accuracy. The XLR-V goes pretty much where it’s pointed, and the chassis geometries reveal no serious handling vices. Not that it could go astray with the StabiliTrak control standing by to intercede in the event of horseplay. You can disable the traction-control portion and switch the stability to a less intrusive strategy, but you can never make StabiliTrak go away completely.

This is not a serious problem for most drivers (we leave the system on in normal driving situations, too), and it’s a positive benefit for the average owner. Another safety technology — this one exclusive to the V-series — is a system that swivels the headlights in corners to improve the illuminated field of vision. Try this before you deride it as technology for its own sake; trust us, it’s advantageous to see where you’re going.

Having the versatility of a fully automatic retractable hardtop is advantageous, too, even if the device eats up luggage space. Still, as we’ve said before, you would be wise to drive to your weekend destination with the top up and stash your luggage inside the resort before motoring around the lake with the top down. An equal handicap is the absence of storage space behind the seats. There’s an upright storage bin between the seatbacks, but it will only accept something about the size of a large tissue box.

As high-performance roadsters go, the XLR-V is quite well-suited to the quotidian requirements of your less-extreme motorist. There’s no super-low chin spoiler to mash on parking curbs. There are no limbo antics necessary to get in and out. The car has all the creature comforts technology can provide, and its unique mesh grille, supercharged badge, and four shiny tailpipes tell everyone this Cadillac is a cut above.

For those who think 100 grand is a reasonable amount of money to spend on a car, this Cadillac is certainly worth a look.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CADILLAC XLR-V

Vehicle type: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 2-door roadster

Price as tested: $100,000

Price and option breakdown: base Cadillac XLR-V, $100,000 (includes $815 freight)

Major standard accessories: power windows, seats, and locks; remote locking; A/C; cruise control; tilting and telescoping steering wheel; rear defroster

Sound system: Bose AM-FM-satellite radio/CD changer/DVD player, 9 speakers

ENGINE
Type: supercharged and intercooled V-8, aluminum block and heads
Bore x stroke: 3.58 x 3.30 in, 91.0 x 84.0mm
Displacement: 267 cu in, 4371cc
Compression ratio: 9.0:1
Fuel-delivery system: port injection
Supercharger: Eaton Roots type
Maximum boost pressure: 12.0 psi
Valve gear: chain-driven double overhead cams, 4 valves per cylinder, hydraulic lifters, variable intake- and exhaust-valve timing
Power (SAE net): 443 bhp @ 6400 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 414 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm
Redline: 6500 rpm

DRIVETRAIN
Transmission: 6-speed automatic with manumatic shifting
Final-drive ratio: 2.56:1, limited slip
Gear, Ratio, Mph/1000 rpm, Max test speed
I, 4.02, 7.0, 45 mph (6500 rpm)
II, 2.36, 12.0, 78 mph (6500 rpm)
III, 1.53, 18.5, 120 mph (6500 rpm)
IV, 1.15, 24.6, 155 mph (6300 rpm)
V, 0.85, 33.2, 155 mph (4700 rpm)
VI, 0.67, 42.1, 155 mph (3700 rpm)

DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase: 105.7 in
Track, front/rear: 61.6/62.1 in
Length/width/height: 177.7/72.3/50.4 in
Ground clearance: 5.8 in
Drag area, Cd (0.33) x frontal area (44.6 sq ft): 14.7 sq ft
Curb weight: 3840 lb
Weight distribution, F/R: 50.0/50.0%
Curb weight per horsepower: 8.7 lb
Fuel capacity: 18.0 gal

CHASSIS/BODY
Type: full-length frame
Body material: fiberglass-reinforced plastic

INTERIOR
SAE volume, front seat: 50 cu ft luggage,
top up/down: 12/4 cu ft
Front-seat adjustments: fore-and-aft, seatback angle, front height, rear height, lumbar support
Restraint systems, front: manual 3-point belts, driver and passenger front and side airbags

SUSPENSION
Front: ind, unequal-length control arms, leaf spring, anti-roll bar
Rear: ind, unequal-length control arms with a toe-control link, leaf spring, anti-roll bar

STEERING
Type: rack-and-pinion with hydraulic power assist
Steering ratio: 17.0:1
Turns lock-to-lock: 2.9
Turning circle curb-to-curb: 39.0 ft

BRAKES
Type: hydraulic with vacuum power assist, anti-lock control, and electronic panic assist
Front: 13.4 x 1.3-in vented disc
Rear: 13.0 x 1.0-in vented disc

WHEELS AND TIRES
Wheel size/type: 8.5 x 19 in/cast aluminum
Tires: Pirelli Eufori@ run-flat; F: P235/45R-19 (94W), R: P255/40R-19 (96W)
Test inflation pressures, F/R: 30/30 psi
Spare: none

C/D TEST RESULTS
ACCELERATION: Seconds
Zero to 30 mph: 1.9
40 mph: 2.6
50 mph: 3.6
60 mph: 4.7
70 mph: 5.9
80 mph: 7.3
90 mph: 9.2
100 mph: 11.3
110 mph: 13.0
120 mph: 16.1
130 mph: 19.4
140 mph: 23.9
150 mph: 29.2
Street start, 5–60 mph: 5.0
Top-gear acceleration, 30–50 mph: 2.3
50–70 mph: 3.1
Standing ¼-mile: 13.0 sec @ 110 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 155 mph

BRAKING
70–0 mph @ impending lockup: 176 ft

HANDLING
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.87 g
Understeer: minimal moderate excessive

FUEL ECONOMY
EPA city driving: 14 mpg
EPA highway driving: 22 mpg
C/D-observed: 15 mpg

INTERIOR SOUND LEVEL
Idle: 48 dBA
Full-throttle acceleration: 79 dBA
70-mph cruising: 67 dBA
Old 05-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I don't know why, but I really like the XLR. One of these days, I may just stop my the Cadillac dealer to take a test drive/joy ride...

Quick Reply: Cadillac XLR-V News **Full Test by C&D (page 5)**