Buick: Regal News

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
That was not realistic for the price/segment Buick is aiming for with this model. They'll have trouble moving these if the 36K price is real, especially if they are trying to peel off TSX/A4 buyers.
Will be interesting to see how the Regal GS affects the total Regal sales #'s when it does finally arrive. Currently it lags behind the TSX but the Lacrosse outsells the TL by a wider margin and Buick outsells Acura in USA. Are their current model Lacrosses at rental car agencies?
Old 11-04-2010, 11:41 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
That was not realistic for the price/segment Buick is aiming for with this model. They'll have trouble moving these if the 36K price is real, especially if they are trying to peel off TSX/A4 buyers.

You're right about that. I just built a CXL turbo and it tops out at $38K. Now the $36K estimate for the GS seems low...perhaps it will start at $36K.

Nonetheless, I still think GM dropped the ball by not having AWD as an option. They already have FWD for the other models......why make the sport edition almost the same?
Old 11-05-2010, 07:48 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,821 Likes on 3,734 Posts
Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
You're right about that. I just built a CXL turbo and it tops out at $38K. Now the $36K estimate for the GS seems low...perhaps it will start at $36K.

Nonetheless, I still think GM dropped the ball by not having AWD as an option. They already have FWD for the other models......why make the sport edition almost the same?
Even at 36 - 38K they'll still sell. For a comparably equipped A4, you'd probably be at 41K. FWD is what f's it up.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by pttl
Even at 36 - 38K they'll still sell. For a comparably equipped A4, you'd probably be at 41K. FWD is what f's it up.
I think a comparably priced A4 would be more than that. Probably $45k ... But then again it has AWD.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:05 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by charliemike
I think a comparably priced A4 would be more than that. Probably $45k ... But then again it has AWD.
I just don't get it. The A4 is just not "all that".

edit:

Just did a true car look up: A4 Prestige with Drive Select and 19" Sport Pkg. both packages make the A4 comparable to the Regal GS....msrp = 48K True Car price is $45,246.

If people can get past the Buick badge, the Regal GS shouldl sell. The only thing is the drive system....

Last edited by pttl; 11-05-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:56 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I'm not too sure about having 295lbft of torque going to the front wheels. And with turbo, that torque would probably come very suddenly.

But the car NEEDS that power. Currently the CXL Turbo with its 220hp/258lbft of torque is slower than a TSX with the K24. The TSX V6 is way ahead as it traps 8mph faster in the 1/4 mile.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

With the lack of AWD, the higher premium isn't justified. Buick hasn't develop anything new for this variant. At an estimated 35K-40K, all it has to offer is 30+ HP and upgraded suspension and bodykit. But it becomes less compelling than its competitions, the higher cache Audi brand, the V6 TSX and (for me) the upmarket Nissan Maxima. With AWD, it could have been (was?) the differentiator in this market. Even the midsize Fusion Sport with AWD looks like a better alternative now.

Last edited by AsianRage; 11-05-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:09 PM

^ Yep. Exactly. No reason to spend the extra cheese on a car that is relatively unchanged from the lower model. I know that automakers rarely cater to enthusiasts, but who are the ones that buy the GS types of vehicles? The average consumer is just going to buy the CXL.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Looks alone are going to sell the GS. Its just disappointing that we still can't have the best version of this car (Insignia OPC) and get stuck with a warmed-over version instead....
Old 11-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Looks alone are going to sell the GS. Its just disappointing that we still can't have the best version of this car (Insignia OPC) and get stuck with a warmed-over version instead....

You're right. The GS is very good looking. But as a prospective buyer who was seriously going to get this car, look won't sell it for me, being just a FWD offering. I can see better alternatives now. I'm more inclined to go to the IS350 for 300hp and RWD, for the same amount of money. I'm also considering the aforementioned Maxima. Not to mention the TL and V6 TSX. The Regal GS losing the AWD has just opened up the field for more players. The GS just doesn't have much in term of a value proposition anymore. It's all been an extremely disappointing development.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

I'm skeptical, but this might still be a great car. Wasn't it the TL Type-S that outhandled a G35 on a Japanese track? You can do great things with FWD even if it isn't as fun at all. The Hiper whatever suspension is like Ford's Revoknuckle so it should be good, and GM proved they can really set up a chassis with the Cobalt SS (T).

I wasn't really looking for a FWD car again, but if it's 35K and well loaded I might. Might. But I doubt it.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
I'm skeptical, but this might still be a great car. Wasn't it the TL Type-S that outhandled a G35 on a Japanese track? You can do great things with FWD even if it isn't as fun at all. The Hiper whatever suspension is like Ford's Revoknuckle so it should be good, and GM proved they can really set up a chassis with the Cobalt SS (T).

I wasn't really looking for a FWD car again, but if it's 35K and well loaded I might. Might. But I doubt it.
^^^
THIS

I mean, the Regal should have been RWD since the beginning, but FWD is fair for the market. But AWD would have been competitive and Buick doesn't seem to want to be an aggressive player. At least the Lacrosse offers AWD with 255hp V6 mill, but on such a heavy car, I don't see how it be any fun to drive.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:23 PM

I think the Regal would sell really well with a Caddilac badge
Old 11-05-2010, 02:29 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi
I think the Regal would sell really well with a Caddilac badge
Perhaps, but it would defy all of Cadillac's current design trends. The rest of the line-up is sharb, angular cars while this is has a softer, curvier shape to it.

I think it should do just fine as a Buick and should help get rid of the "Buick is for old people" stigma.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by S A CHO
Perhaps, but it would defy all of Cadillac's current design trends. The rest of the line-up is sharb, angular cars while this is has a softer, curvier shape to it.

I think it should do just fine as a Buick and should help get rid of the "Buick is for old people" stigma.
I'm going to go drive a GS at some point just to see what it's like. I still feel like it's a missed opportunity but maybe FWD won't make a difference to many people.

It's a damn nice looking car ... Perhaps at some point once it's made in north america they'll consider adding AWD back.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:28 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName

Good point. I think we should wait to see some lap times first. But I think most people here prefer the feeling of driving a RWD (or at least AWD) instead of RWD?
Old 11-05-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by S A CHO

yea I already saw that but it would justify a 30k+ price and AWD as an option.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
The GS is a ridiculously attractive car. IMO the front fascia is almost perfect.

The estimated 255hp is a downer though...I know 295lbs of torque, but this baby needs to crack 0-60 in 6 seconds to be a proper GS. My Maz6 hits 60 in the low 6s and V6 Camrys can break 6...

For me, FWD was expected...and personally, the car is heavy enough. Add more weight and a higher ride-height for AWD and I say no thanks (for this version at least)...
Old 11-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
should be a tuners delight being able to bump the boost and stuff. I bet some crazy numbers could be made with this motor.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by Type34
The GS is a ridiculously attractive car. IMO the front fascia is almost perfect.

The estimated 255hp is a downer though...I know 295lbs of torque, but this baby needs to crack 0-60 in 6 seconds to be a proper GS. My Maz6 hits 60 in the low 6s and V6 Camrys can break 6...

For me, FWD was expected...and personally, the car is heavy enough. Add more weight and a higher ride-height for AWD and I say no thanks (for this version at least)...
The Vauxhall Insignia VXR is about 4,000lbs. A 2008 Audi S4 is 3990lbs.

To me the issue isn't the weight, it's that the 255hp Turbo 4 cannot move that car around like the 321hp Turbo 6 could.

And that could be a reason why they cut AWD (other than cost). It would have just been slow.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:03 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I would have loved to have the AWD turbo V6 OPC

Amazing looking car though.... we'll have to see what Cadillac will bring to the table with the ATS.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:01 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
should be a tuners delight being able to bump the boost and stuff. I bet some crazy numbers could be made with this motor.
There are a lot of rumors out there such as:
If you look at the Cobalt SS, the HHR SS, and the defunct SKY Redline and Solstice GXP, all of them offered the ECOTEC 4 with 260 HP. A $650 dealer upgrade (and premium fuel requirement) brings the go-go to 290 HP on the front drivers and 300 HP on the rear wheel drive models, torque up to something insane for a 2.0 liter 4-banger like 330 lb. feet.

I SUSPECT that a similar dealer installed option (with premium fuel requirement) will exist on the Regal GS. It seems like a no brainer.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
it looks pretty damn good ... i hear buicks are german engineered now is that true?
Old 11-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
^^^^The Regal is just a rebadged Opel but the Enclave I believe was designed in-house and the LaCrosse was designed in China IIRC...
Old 11-08-2010, 01:31 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by VQPower37
it looks pretty damn good ... i hear buicks are german engineered now is that true?
Opel is a German branch of GM. Tested at the Nurburgring. So, sure.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Advanced

The Regal is currently being built in Germany as well...
Old 11-08-2010, 11:18 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by AsianRage
You're right. The GS is very good looking. But as a prospective buyer who was seriously going to get this car, look won't sell it for me, being just a FWD offering. I can see better alternatives now. I'm more inclined to go to the IS350 for 300hp and RWD, for the same amount of money. I'm also considering the aforementioned Maxima. Not to mention the TL and V6 TSX. The Regal GS losing the AWD has just opened up the field for more players. The GS just doesn't have much in term of a value proposition anymore. It's all been an extremely disappointing development.
The only thing is with the exception of the TL (don't like the looks) none of the others on your list have manuals. I'm thankful Buick brought over the manual for this at least since the trend for most manufacturers is going away from manuals. I've got to wonder if they will offer a AWD GS at some point since it's so easy for them to just bring it over.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by Mowgli
The Regal is currently being built in Germany as well...
Yeah, right now. But the GS will be built in Canada.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Post 2012 Buick Regal GS

Old 06-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Press release...

• High-performance midsize sport sedan with 0-60 mph performance of under seven seconds
• Features exclusive, GS-only high-output version of the Ecotec 2.0L turbo engine with 255 hp and 295 lb.-ft. of torque
• Buick’s Interactive Drive Control System allows drivers to change the suspension settings and steering sensitivity
• Exclusive, racing-inspired exterior and interior appointments
• Goes on sale in the second half of 2011

2012 BUICK REGAL GS PRODUCTION MODEL TAKES SPORTS SEDAN PERFORMANCE
TO A NEW LEVEL FOR BUICK

MIAMI – Buick this evening reveals the production version of the 2012 Regal GS, an even sportier expression of the Regal sport sedan that went on sale earlier this year and has attracted new buyers to the Buick family. Powered by a high-output, exclusive Ecotec 2.0L turbocharged engine mated to a six-speed manual transmission, the GS delivers an estimated 255 horsepower (190 kW) and 295 lb.-ft. of torque for a 0-60 mph performance of less than seven seconds (estimated). Buick’s Interactive Drive Control System is standard on the GS, allowing drivers to customize the driving experience by changing the suspension settings and steering sensitivity between three modes: standard, sport and GS.

“Built on the performance foundation of the Regal, the Regal GS was designed as an even sportier expression of responsive performance and style,” said John Schwegman, vice president of Buick marketing. “The driving experience is powerful and spirited; and the GS represents the next entry in Buick’s product renaissance.”

The Regal GS will be unveiled this evening at a consumer event in Miami. It goes on sale in the second half of 2011. Pricing has not yet been announced.

Product highlights include:

• Exclusive Ecotec 2.0L turbocharged and intercooled engine rated at an estimated 255 horsepower (190 kW) and 295 lb-ft of torque (400 Nm)
• Six-speed manual transmission, with six-speed automatic with Driver Shift Control to be offered later
• Interactive Drive Control System with GS mode
• Four-wheel independent system with HiPerStrut front suspension
• High-performance four-wheel disc brake system with Brembo front calipers
• Standard 19-inch, 5-Twin Spoke alloy wheels and all-season tire and optional 20-inch, • • 5-Twin Spoke polished alloy wheels with performance tires.

The exterior design features unique front and rear fascias, with the front fascia incorporating prominent, vertical air intake slots and specific grille treatment – with the vertical elements accented in a satin-metallic finish. The rear fascia has a pair of integrated, satin-metallic trapezoidal exhaust outlets. Rocker panel extensions and an integrated rear spoiler are also woven into the design. The GS cuts a sportier stance, too, with a slightly lower ride height than other models and aggressive 19-inch, 5-Twin Spoke alloy wheels and all-season tires (20-inch, 5-Twin Spoke polished alloy wheels with performance tires are optional).

Inside is a racing-inspired, flat-bottom sport steering wheel and metal sport pedals, along with leather-appointed 12-way power-adjustable sport driver and front passenger heated seats, which include four-way power lumbar. The GS-specific black interior is accented with satin-finish elements on the instrument panel, steering wheel and console, while the instrument panel glows white when the driver engages the GS mode of the Interactive Drive Control System (IDCS).

Standard amenities for the Regal GS include:

• Passive keyless entry with push-button start
• Standard XM Satellite Radio with three-month trial service
• Harmon/Kardon premium 320-watt sound system with nine speakers
• Bluetooth phone connectivity
• Leather-wrapped flat-bottom steering wheel with audio controls
• Leather-appointed sport seating
• Heated driver and front passenger seats, with 12-way adjustable driver and front passenger seats – including four-way lumbar adjustment
• 120-volt accessory power outlet
• Power windows with express up/down feature in the front and express down in the rear.
• Front and rear ultrasonic parking assist
• Bi-xenon HID headlamps.

Turbocharging and HiPerStrut

Power for the Regal GS comes from a high-output version of the Ecotec 2.0L turbocharged DOHC VVT engine with direct injection technology. It is based on the engine that will be available on Regal CXL later this year, but the engine and turbocharger are tuned to deliver greater boost pressure in the GS. The output is rated at 255 horsepower (190 kW) and 295 lb.-ft. of torque (400 Nm). A three-inch-diameter exhaust system provides reduced back pressure, resulting in higher engine power

Direct injection technology helps the engine deliver more power through increased efficiency, while maintaining fuel economy and lowering emissions. That means less fuel is consumed and lower emissions generated – including a 25-percent drop in cold-start hydrocarbon emissions. Variable valve timing optimizes power, efficiency and emissions across the entire rpm band.

“We’ve been combining direct injection and variable valve timing with boosted engines since 2006, and there’s no question the Regal GS turbo has the responsiveness and acceleration of a 3.5L V6, while delivering the fuel economy of a 2.0L four,” said Mike Anderson, Ecotec global chief engineer and program manager.

The engine is mated to a standard six-speed manual transmission. A six-speed automatic transmission will be available later.

The Regal GS rides on a relatively long wheelbase of 107.8 inches (2738 mm), which delivers refined, well-balanced vehicle dynamics. It also features a four-wheel-independent suspension, with a unique High Performance Strut (HiPerStrut) front suspension design. The HiPerStrut system helps reduce torque steer and maintain negative camber during cornering; the driver experiences reduced torque steer, improved grip and increased cornering power, along with crisper handling, steering precision and feedback.

The four-link independent rear suspension is designed to minimize unwanted toe and camber effects during spirited driving maneuvers, enhancing vehicle stability. Both front and rear dampers incorporate active Computer Damping Control (CDC), continuously changing damper characteristics to maintain optimal vehicle ride control over varying road surfaces and profiles. More aggressive, performance-oriented damping characteristics can also be selected by the driver through the Interactive Driver Control System.

Braking power comes from a large diameter four-wheel disc brake system featuring Brembo front calipers. A standard, four-channel anti-lock brake system is tuned to reduce stopping distances over varied road surfaces and conditions. An electronic parking brake is actuated via a center console-mounted control. The Regal GS also features standard StabiliTrak stability control system with integrated, full-function traction control.

Interactive Drive Control System

The Regal GS is also equipped with Interactive Drive Control System (IDCS) chassis technology (also offered on other Regal models with the 2.0L turbo engine). It delivers enhanced vehicle stability and greater driving safety. The driver selects among three operating modes – standard, sport and GS – that change the suspension settings, and steering sensitivity through the variable-effort steering system.

A sophisticated driving mode control module continually monitors driving style utilizing yaw rate, lateral and longitudinal acceleration, steering wheel, throttle and vehicle speed. It defines the dynamic vehicle state, including acceleration, braking and cornering, to optimize chassis reactions. It also executes all of the IDCS driver selections. All four dampers are electronically controlled and continuously adapt within milliseconds to the prevailing road conditions, vehicle movements and individual driving style.

Selecting GS mode optimizes the car for dynamic driving, tightening the suspension and steering response. “Standard,” or the default mode, is the setting for all-around use. The sport mode provides a level of performance between standard and the GS modes.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Assuming a reasonable price, this would be toward the top of the list of cars I would buy.

Biker, who saw a regular Regal in white this week and really liked it.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:30 PM

Love the way this car looks. Too bad no AWD. I wonder what kind of real world mpg numbers we'll see. The Buick website claims 37mpg hwy for the 2.4 ecotec with eAssist.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Race Director

This car could have a real wide gap depending on how it's driven - the steady hwy number could be real good since it's only a 2L and has a decent .cd, but in town where one would be in the boost quite often (tough to move 3700 lbs) the number could drop a lot. The paper EPA number should be close to the CXL turbo.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:26 PM
My first Avatar....

The car looks good. Nicely appointed, nice gadgetry....BUT...a moderately heavy, 255hp, FWD sedan. Kinda like my 06 TL
Old 06-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Race Director

^ yeah, this car should be about 300 lbs lighter.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts
Looks nice, needs a weight loss program though to be anything close to high performance.

to me there are much nicer cars and much faster cars all for a lot less.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Its a shame the performance specs aren't all that impressive. The looks of the car make it seem like it should be a 400HP, RWD beast.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:47 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
rated at 270 HP, not 255?

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...torque-103712/

oh, and you're all forgetting the 295 lb/ft of torque available at 2400 RPM. AWD would have added quite a bit of weight, and I believe the HiPer strut suspension is designed to combat torque steer. I'm thinking this engine has potential like the 4B11T does... bolt on the breathing mods, tune it on E85 and you'll probably make north of 330 to the wheels.

Looks great, I think the pricing is what's gonna burn the most though.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:29 AM
My first Avatar....

FWD along with price. :thumbsdow

330 hp and big torque to the front wheels? :thumbsdow
Old 06-20-2011, 06:47 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
i think with 295 lb/ft of torque, it should be faster

Quick Reply: Buick: Regal News