BMW: X1 News

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:32 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Lexis = Lexus Was a long day.

But yea, I've got some thinking to do. I've seen pretty well loaded 328s with Xdrirve going for real low 40s, which is better.

I do like the function of the X1. We already have an MDX, so no need for a big hauler. It felt like a 328, especially with the sport seats, etc. That I can get new, with everything, 40Kish. It is interesting how some really like them, and others REALLY hate them.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:20 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,966 Likes on 2,644 Posts
Next X1 and upcoming X2 going FWD

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...n=awdailydrive

New BMW X1 due next year; will spawn X2, plug-in hybrid and M versions

The second-generation BMW X1 is less than 12 months away, and from it will come an X2 version, BMW sources say. The X1 is a five-door five-seater, while the X2 is a three-door with a four-seat interior -- like a small X6. The new entry-level crossovers are due in June 2015 and will be the basis for additional future models on the company’s UKL1 platform. The latest Mini Cooper hardtop and recently unveiled 2-series Active Tourer use the UKL1 already. To further streamline operations, BMW is developing the new X1 and upcoming X2 jointly with the second-generation Mini Countryman and Clubman. They’ll all share the UKL1 platform, drivelines, electrical systems and chassis components.

UKL1 brings significant change in the X1’s mechanical layout; sources suggest the changes also mean more profits from the Audi Q3 and Mercedes-Benz GLA fighter. BMW hopes the X2, for example, will cost $3,000-$4,000 more than the X1. Today’s longitudinal engine and choice of rear- or four-wheel drive is no more. The new X1 and X2 have a transverse engine layout and either front- or all-wheel drive. BMW shortened the hood, moved the windscreen forward and gave the roofline additional slope rearward. BMW says the new model looks less like a small station wagon than today’s models. The new X1 is also a bit smaller, while an extended version is planned for the U.S., China and Russia with a third row, longer rear overhang and bigger cargo area.

Several turbocharged three- and four-cylinder direct-injection gas and common-rail diesels are planned. Gasoline engines range from a base 1.5-liter three-cylinder in a planned front-wheel-drive X1 sDrive18i to a 2.0-liter four in the all-wheel-drive X1 xDrive25i.

The M version is meant to battle the Audi Q3 RS and Mercedes-Benz GLA45 AMG. Details remain scarce, though M supplier sources confirm the company is engineering a high-output version of BMW’s new B48 2.0-liter turbocharged gas engine. Horsepower should be rated at “more than 300.” It is still unclear whether the turbo four will come in the X1 or just the X2. Look for a 0-60 time of less than five seconds.

An X1 plug-in, gas-electric hybrid is in the works but probably won’t be available for the initial 2015 launch. Sources say it uses a driveline similar to BMW’s original Active Tourer concept car shown at the 2012 Paris motor show: A 1.5-liter three-cylinder turbo gas engine powers the front wheels, and an electric motor drives the rear wheels, with a combined 190 hp. The car could get about 100 mpg city/highway combined with nearly a 19-mile all-electric range.

- See more at: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news....S1VqLo2p.dpuf
Old 06-03-2015, 12:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Since i do not know where to post this, i will just leave it here. Feel free to move it for me

Launch / U.S. Pricing
Pricing to come
Arrives in US showrooms Fall 2015

Physical
Length: 175.4 in (0.1 in shorter than E84 X1)
Width: 71.7 in (1.3 in wider than E84)
Width including mirrors: 81.1 in
Height: 62.5 in (2.1 in taller than E84)
Wheelbase: 105.1 in (3.6 in shorter than E84)
Front Track: 61.5 in
Rear Track: 61.6 in
Legroom Front: 40.4 in (1 in more than E84)
Legroom Rear: 37 in (1.5 inches more (standard seats), 2.6 inches (adjustable rear seat) more than E84)
Headroom Front: 41.9 in
Headroom Front (with sunroof): 40.4 in
Headroom Rear: 39.4 in
Headroom Rear (with sunroof): 38.2 in
Curb Weight: 3,662 lbs
Gross Weight: 4,720 lbs
Payload: 900 lbs

Engines / Transmission / Steering
xDrive28i: 2.0L B46 turbo inline 4 cylinder (1,998cc)
TwinScroll turbocharger, High Precision Injection, VALVETRONIC fully variable valve lift, and Double-VANOS variable camshaft timing
228 hp @ 5000 RPM
258 lb-ft @ 1250-4500 RPM
0-60 mph: 6.3 sec
Top speed: 130 mph
Preliminary EPA Mileage Estimates (MPG) – to be released
Aluminum crankcase and cylinder head
Forged steel crankshafts with integrated balance shaft drive,
Low-weight pistons, forged connecting rods, friction-reduced cylinder coatings
Map-controlled oil pumps.
8 Speed Steptronic Automatic Transmission (Aisin)
xDrive all-wheel-drive
single-speed bevel gear and a rear- axle drive unit with electrohydraulically controlled multi-plate clutch that controls longitudinal torque distribution. The two are connected by a two-piece drive shaft.
can divert up to 100% of engine's power to rear wheels
Electric Power Steering (EPS) with servotronic speed-sensitive steering assistance

Other highlights (some optional)
Power front seats with driver-side memory
Optional adjustable rear seats
40:20:40 seatback split
Optional rear seat slide forward or back by up to five inches
Optional rear seat tilts from 31 degrees to 1 degree.
Power-folding feature enables the rear seats to be folded at the touch of a button inside luggage compartment.
Cargo space increased by more than 15 percent
2 non-metallic and nine metallic colors at launch
Estoril Blue exclusive for M Sports package
M Sport Package (M steering wheel, M sport suspension, sports seats)
Premium Package, Technology Package, Driver Assistance Plus Package
Optional panoramic moonroof (larger than E84) (included in Premium Package)
Full LED headlights (included in Premium Package)
Head-Up Display
6.5 inch standard iDrive screen / optional 8.8 inch iDrive screen
Optional Harman Kardon HiFi system - 12 speaker / 360 watts

Introducing the all new 2016 BMW X1 (F48)

Old 06-03-2015, 12:42 PM
Team Owner

IMO, this looks much much better than the current X1, which is x10

some interesting observations:

So based on the picture of the new headlight, it's either they included the new Angel Eyes from LED headlight equipped cars or the new LED headlights come with Projectors now?

WTF is up with the shifter? In 2015, everyone is trying to minimizing the shifter by going shorter and smaller or disappear all together. BMW is going backwards??

The new B46 4 cylinder engine has less advertised HP than the N20? (228 vs. 240). Interesting.

Navi is updated with X5/X6 style Navi. and the new 340LCI does not get it.... interesting again.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,854 Likes on 14,002 Posts
Moved into the X1 thread...
Old 06-03-2015, 01:36 PM
Team Owner

I knew you would find the correct thread for this
Old 06-03-2015, 01:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,854 Likes on 14,002 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
I knew you would find the correct thread for this

But, search a bit next time you nimrod...I didn't spend all these years merging and titling the threads in Auto News for nothin', you know.

Gosh.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:08 PM
Team Owner

M sport

Exterior:
M aero package with front apron, side skirts, wheel arches in body color and rear apron with diffuser in Dark Shadow metallic.
Kidney grilles with eight exclusively designed slats in high-gloss black.
Bi-color 18 inch M light alloy wheels double-spoke style 570 M
Bi-color 19 inch M light alloy wheels Double-spoke style 572 M
M Sport suspension
BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line and BMW Individual roof rails in high-gloss Shadow Line
M marking on the sides
Exclusive Estoril Blue Metallic available

Interior:
M door sills
Sport seats for driver and front passenger in cloth / alcantara combination 'Micro Hexagon' seat pattern
Multifunction M leather steering wheel
BMW Individual headliner anthracite
Aluminium Hexagon accented blue interior trim option
Black high-gloss accented Pearl Gloss Chrome interior trim option
Shortened gearshift lever with M logo
Orange or white ambient light
LED light guides in the door decors
Key fob with M marking

Old 06-03-2015, 05:40 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 841 Likes on 524 Posts
Too bad this is now based on a FWD platform. The current X1 is quite unique since it's pretty much the only one in this segment with a RWD chassis.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Team Owner

The Engine is mounted the wrong way.

But I think US will only get Xdrive, no FWD models. and 100% of the torque can be sent to the Rear wheels...

Also it is the Aisin 8 speed, not ZF...

It will for sure sell more than the Current X1.. that is all they care anyway.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,097 Likes on 4,001 Posts
M-Sport package in a FWD high riding subcompact crossover. Just let that sink in for a moment. It's too bad this thing will be easier to sell than water to Californians.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Team Owner

BMW is whoring out everything already....

M sport is least of their concerns.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:12 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 743 Likes on 448 Posts
The M-sport actually looks uglier. How much for just the steering wheel?
Old 06-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Team Owner

I thought of the same thing. For the very first time, i think the Sportline looks better than M sport.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:26 PM
Ex-OEM King

Meh, even the M steering wheel is uglier than the non-M. Save your pennies and buy a Honda CRV.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:31 PM
Team Owner

I have that steering wheel!!

The problem with the standard steering wheel is the size and thickness.

The M steering wheel just feels better, not about the looks.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:48 PM

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,927 Posts
Well, at least it looks better than it used to. Still hate the X1, though. As my BMW service adviser stated it - "It's a $30,000 Roundel with a free car attached."

There's just no compelling reason to buy this vehicle, given the alternatives (absent an irrational desire to have a BMW branded car).
Old 06-05-2015, 09:19 AM
Ex-OEM King

I have that steering wheel!!

The problem with the standard steering wheel is the size and thickness.

The M steering wheel just feels better, not about the looks.
It makes more sense in your car than the X1 though. Just looks out of place in a subcompact crossover.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Beautiful, I love this thing. WAY nicer looking than the outgoing turd. Making me rethink a TLX or RDX, but I don't know how well it would hold up reliability wise. The shifter is the only thing I don't like about it, looks like a tractor compared to other BMW but I could live with it. It looks like a more premium better looking CX5 which is not a bad thing. Like a mini-X5 and better looking than a X3.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:14 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 841 Likes on 524 Posts
Hmm .....ya...the M sport doesn't look at much sportier than the sport line. And I don't really like the black bumper piece of the M sport at the back....may be it's just the pictures......
Old 06-24-2015, 09:57 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 743 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Hmm .....ya...the M sport doesn't look at much sportier than the sport line. And I don't really like the black bumper piece of the M sport at the back....may be it's just the pictures......
The black cladding along the sides of the sport line makes it look lower than the M-Sport which is flat from top to bottom, so it looks sportier. Same with the front bumper, getting rid of the black part actually makes the M-Sport look more SUV-ish. I'd take the sport line with any available M-Sport options like the wheels, steering wheel or trim.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:08 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Macau Park
Beautiful, I love this thing. WAY nicer looking than the outgoing turd.

The shifter is the only thing I don't like about it, looks like a tractor compared to other BMW but I could live with it.
Wrong. Bimski dildo shifters are annoying, if this is more along the lines of a conventional slush box shifter, its a move back in the right direction.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:24 PM

Received 5,485 Likes on 3,744 Posts
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/b...ng-taillights/

As kids, we probably all heard that urban legend about how keeping your eyes open while sneezing could pop an eyeball out of its socket. While that isn't true, a similar situation is happening with BMW SUVs that are now the focus of a recall.

BMW has issued a recall for approximately 5,920 examples of the 2018-2019 BMW X1, a small SUV. This affects both the sDrive28i and xDrive28i trims, and it covers production dates from Oct. 5, 2018 to Jan. 18, 2019. Presumably, vehicles produced after that date do not contain the defect.

The problem stems from the taillights. In the affected vehicles, the hardware used to attach the taillights to the body might not be built to the supplier's specification, and a bunch of cutting oil left on components might seep into the light housing and crack the attachment bracket. If that happens, the lights will become loose, and a strong enough bump might break the light free from its moorings entirely. Since the lights are still connected to the wiring harness, they shouldn't disappear on the road; instead, they'll flap and dangle about. Either way, it's a hazard.

BMW was first notified of a potential issue on Jan. 8, 2019, when distribution centers noticed loose taillights, and that's when BMW found that cutting oil present on the parts. Thankfully, BMW has not received any reports of injuries or accidents linked to the angle of the taillight's dangle.

The issue sounds like it's easy to fix, though. According to recall documents, "each rear lamp will be secured so that it does not loosen," and BMW did not explain the remedy further. Owners should expect to receive recall notifications via first-class mail later in March. Dealers have already been notified.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:45 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
BMW made a bold statement in 2009 when the X1 was introduced, followed by an even bolder statement in 2015 when the second generation switched to front-wheel drive. The current model has also brought plug-in hybrid assistance to the compact crossover, and this powertrain will carry over to the next generation, which is due to arrive in 2022.

15 photos

Codenamed U11, the third generation has been recently spied in xDrive25e flavor, but the headlights and taillights are still provisional at this point in the development process. “Hybrid Test Vehicle” stickers are featured on the front doors, along with an unfinished kidney grille that appears to follow in the footsteps of the huge snout introduced by the 4er.

An idea longer than the F48 we have today, the U11 utilizes an evolution of the Untere Klasse (UKL) platform BMW developed originally for the MINI Hatch and Convertible. Internal combustion-only models can be had with on-demand AWD, while the xDrive25e in the photo gallery levels up to e-AWD thanks to an e-motor integrated into the rear axle.

As you may have guessed already, the PHEV relies on a three-cylinder turbo to drive the front wheels. Something that we don’t know for the time being is the number of gears for the torque-converter transmission. The outgoing xDrive25e boasts six forward ratios rather than eight speeds, translating to a lower spread and fewer options for optimal operation.

Word has it the electric motor and battery of the X1 xDrive25e will be improved for more power and all-electric driving range, but not by much. BMW is more interested in accelerating the EV program spearheaded by the iX, a mid-size SUV with polarizing styling inside and out.

Those who couldn’t care less about electrification will be treated to three- and four-cylinder turbo gasoline and diesel engines, but don’t get your hopes up for an M Performance-branded version. Only the X2 is currently available in go-faster attire, and as a brief refresher, the M35i is rocking 306 metric ponies (302 horsepower) along with 450 Nm (332 pound-feet) of torque.

Also worthy of mention, did you know the X1 is one of the biggest contributors to the automaker’s coffers? In 2019, for example, the smallest sport utility vehicle in the lineup accounted for more than 12 percent of BMW SUV sales, placing it second in the ranking, right after the ever-popular X3.
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...ne-152602.html
Old 05-10-2022, 05:23 AM
Race Director

After the iX and iX3, BMW is downsizing its electric crossover recipe for the iX1. The fully electric derivative of the third-generation X1 will look almost the same as its ICE-powered counterpart since the two will share the FAAR platform, an evolution of the UKL underpinnings. Together with the plug-in hybrid version, all three flavors of the compact X model were shipped to northern Sweden where the BMW Group has its winter testing center.

Looking all grown up, the iX1 had to endure extremely cold temperatures and snowy roads. It'll rely on the BMW Group's fifth-gen eDrive technology, and unlike the China-built iX3, it's going to come with xDrive. More expensive versions of the EV will have dual motors, which will not only translate to AWD but also some serious power. Should you prefer a good ol' combustion engine, there will be a spicy X1 M35i with approximately 300 hp and four exhaust tips.

BMW has crunched the numbers and says the iX1 will cover as much as 272 miles (438 kilometers) in the WLTP cycle. However, it's worth pointing out this is not the final range number, but rather an estimation based on the vehicle's current development status. Having entered the final testing phase, it seems highly unlikely that the figure will change dramatically for the production-ready model. We are expecting a similar figure from the MINI Countryman EV, with both to be assembled at the Leipzig plant in Germany.

The gasoline- and diesel-fueled X1 will go on sale this fall, which means the official reveal is slated to take place in the coming months. BMW mentions the iX1 will hit the market shortly thereafter. Logic tells us the base version won't have xDrive as you'll be asked to step up to a more expensive configuration to get the dual-motor setup.

There will be another way to have an electric motor and AWD as the revamped crossover will continue to offer a plug-in hybrid drivetrain. It is believed that won't be the case with the Countryman as MINI will reportedly drop the PHEV setup. Spy shots and teasers have revealed both models are going to grow in size, which might explain why the Oxford-based marque is allegedly plotting a smaller crossover to slot below the new Countryman.
2023 BMW iX1 Teased Playing In The Snow With Dual-Motor AWD Setup (motor1.com)
Old 05-10-2022, 10:06 AM
Ex-OEM King

A M35i with four exhaust tips? That's blasphemy.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:38 PM
Team Owner

Isnt the M35i version already having just the dual? I dont think it will have quad. Even the M550i/M850i is quad but with dual outlet.

Unless there is a X1M, i doubt we will see any quad on non-M cars.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:05 PM
Ex-OEM King

Isnt the M35i version already having just the dual? I dont think it will have quad. Even the M550i/M850i is quad but with dual outlet.

Unless there is a X1M, i doubt we will see any quad on non-M cars.
It says right in the article...

Should you prefer a good ol' combustion engine, there will be a spicy X1 M35i with approximately 300 hp and four exhaust tips.
Wouldn't surprise me if there was ultimately a X1M. The ///Marketing division at BMW loves to slap that on anything and everything they can.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
It says right in the article...

Wouldn't surprise me if there was ultimately a X1M. The ///Marketing division at BMW loves to slap that on anything and everything they can.
I have my doubts on that article's credibility. I think they also mentioned something absurd about Acura before that i questioned before.

But X1 is FWD bias like the FWD 2 series. I dont know how they are going to do a full M version of it, unless they resign the whole thing like the 2 series coupe vs. 2 series GC.
Dont think that is happening.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:10 PM
Ex-OEM King

I have my doubts on that article's credibility. I think they also mentioned something absurd about Acura before that i questioned before.

But X1 is FWD bias like the FWD 2 series. I dont know how they are going to do a full M version of it, unless they resign the whole thing like the 2 series coupe vs. 2 series GC.
Dont think that is happening.
And? So is the A class and GLA class, they both have legit AMG versions.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:11 PM
Team Owner

BMW doesn't have anything to make the X1 / 2 series/ Mini cooper a full M. Besides 2GC is getting discontinued already. No one is buying that crap.

A43 has been around for a while now.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:45 PM
Ex-OEM King

BMW doesn't have anything to make the X1 / 2 series/ Mini cooper a full M. Besides 2GC is getting discontinued already. No one is buying that crap.

A43 has been around for a while now.
Take the normal car, turn the boost up a bit, slap an M badge on the back and scoot it out the door. ///Marketing

The line between what is and isn't a "real" M car has been blurring for quite a while now.
Old 05-11-2022, 05:10 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Take the normal car, turn the boost up a bit, slap an M badge on the back and scoot it out the door. ///Marketing

The line between what is and isn't a "real" M car has been blurring for quite a while now.
The M235 or X1M35 or something similar has been around. It is just a tuned 2.0L with some M bits. Like the A35/CLA35.

But the real M cars are still pretty hardcore relatively speaking. When i drove the G80 M3, other than the familiar interior, the car didnt feel like anything like my M340i. From what i heard it even uses a different chassis.
TBH, i actually prefer my M340i for my needs. The G80 is just too much of a car for me to enjoy on public road.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:41 AM
Race Director

The third-generation BMW X1 comes to the United States only in xDrive28i guise but the European customers are also offered an all-electric version. The first-ever iX1 debuts as the brand’s first all-wheel-drive electric vehicle in the compact segment, which goes on sale on the Old continent from October this year.

Available only in iX1 xDrive30 trim, for now, the zero-emissions X1 can be differentiated from the combustion-powered variants by its slightly modified front fascia. It features blue accents around the kidney grilles and a modified lower section of the bumper. The same blue accents can be seen on the side below the doors, as well as at the back on the rear bumper. All in all, the iX1 looks almost exactly like the regular X1.

What hides under the skin is completely different, though. The iX1 ditches the combustion engines for a purely electric powertrain with two electric motors, one for each axle. The combined output of the system is 313 horsepower (230 kilowatts) and 364 pound-feet (494 Newton-meters), making the iX1 one of the most powerful members of the third-generation X1 family. BMW promises “supreme traction and directional stability” thanks to the AWD capability and a 0 to 62 miles per hour (0-100 kilometers per hour) acceleration in just 5.7 seconds.

A 64.7 kWh battery mounted flat within the floor stores the electric energy, which should be enough for a range between 256 miles (413 km) and 272 miles (438 km) on a single charge. The battery pack supports BMW’s latest highly efficient charging technology with a new software also found in the BMW i7, which means DC charging with up to 130 kW is possible. This means 70 percent of the battery can be recharged in 29 minutes.

Alternatively, AC charging is possible with single- and three-phase electricity at a rate of up to 22 kW. However, it’s important to note that all output, performance, range, and charging figures are predicted values provided by BMW based on the iX1’s current stage of development. A free 12-month subscription for Europe’s IONITY charging network is confirmed, though.
2023 BMW iX1 Debuts As Electric AWD Crossover With 313 HP (motor1.com)
Old 06-01-2022, 06:43 AM
Race Director

Old 06-01-2022, 12:22 PM
Team Owner

For once, the new car looks better inside and out than the current gen. It is a rare event nowadays for BMW.
Old 06-07-2022, 06:21 AM
Race Director

This week BMW took the wraps of what will be its most affordable EV, revealing the iX1 crossover. That's the good news.

The bad news is, this model will not be offered in the US or Canada. The electric variant arrives as part of the third-generation X1 lineup, and therefore shares most of its sheetmetal with the gasoline and diesel models, with the former most certainly destined for US showrooms.

But the electric version, wearing the now familiar bright blue paint accents of the BMW i range, will stay on the other side of the pond for now, with BMW bringing the larger and more expensive iX stateside this spring to satisfy those who've been waiting for a large EV with a roundel.

What does the iX1 offer?

A dual-motor layout generating a combined 308 hp and 364 lb-ft of torque, giving it a noticeable boost over the gas-engined X1. It's quicker too, as you'd expect, with a 5.7-second 0-to-62 mph sprint time. Range estimates for the all-wheel-drive xDrive30, as it will be badged, have also been revealed, albeit in the somewhat optimistic WLTP cycle.

"The fifth-generation BMW eDrive technology additionally comprises the car’s highly efficient charging technology, including the improved charging software also found in the BMW i7, and a high-voltage battery positioned flat within the vehicle’s underbody, whose high energy density gives the car a range of 413-438 kilometers (257-272 miles)," the automaker notes.

The arrival of the iX1 is an important milestone for BMW's electrification efforts, especially during a year that will see so many EV arrivals from Munich, with the model indirectly replacing the i3. Yes, the i3, seemingly on sale forever, will remain in production in Leipzig, Germany for another month, and will not receive a direct replacement. Rather, BMW is expected to offer the iX1 in place of the funky upright hatch that effectively launched Munich's modern EV era, with European buyers now more keen on the crossover layout and image.

The non-appearance of the iX1 stateside likely reflects some shrewd priorities for BMW in its North American strategy, with the i4 playing the role of entry electric offering, as the recently launched iX3 isn't available here either. The larger iX, meanwhile, will fill the niche of the electric SUV, while the i7, due in a matter of months, will eventually arrive as the flagship sedan. When it comes to small EVs from the BMW Group, we have the Mini Cooper SE, which will squeeze the last few years out of the UKL platform that initially debuted in gas form nearly a decade ago, before the next crop of Minis arrive with EV drivetrains.

The automaker's decision not to offer the iX1 here leaves the Audi Q4 e-tron and its coupe-shaped Sportback twin alone among German automakers in the premium compact segment, with Mercedes keeping the EQA out of the states. A small electric Mini crossover will eventually make up for this gap, but we won't see it for a while.
BMW iX1 Will Be Brand’s Least Expensive EV (autoweek.com)
Old 06-07-2022, 01:14 PM
Team Owner

So they are willing to sell that ugly ass IX here and not the this? #logic
Old 11-23-2022, 06:05 AM
Race Director

While BMW launches refreshed versions of its X7 SUV and 3-Series sedan, along with the all-new 7-Series flagship that includes the first all-electric i7, it might be easy to overlook the practical, more affordable X1 compact crossover, which is all-new as a 2023 model and launching now.

But this third-generation X1, which BMW describes as a compact sports activity vehicle, warrants attention for its accessibility, its familial design, its interior appointments, and its overall performance.

Battery-electric vehicles seem to have most of Munich’s attention these days, so it’s encouraging to see an all-new vehicle with a gasoline-fueled combustion engine.

The outstanding B46 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder that powers most of BMW’s smaller models gets some meaningful upgrades, including the Miller combustion cycle for greater efficiency and revised geometry for the combustion chambers.

Plus, the new X1’s four-pot will have eight fuel injectors (direct and multi-port for each cylinder), a belt-and-suspenders approach pioneered by Toyota and Lexus some 20 years ago.
The overall result is a substantial increase in output, to 241 hp (from 228 hp on the outgoing X1) and 295 lb-ft of torque (up from 258 lb-ft), available starting at a mere 1500 rpm. The powertrain upgrades make the new, athletic X1 spirited and fun to drive, while delivering a reasonably spacious second row and cargo hold.

The EPA fuel-economy ratings improve from 27 mpg combined on the previous model to 28 mpg on the 2023 X1.
With 121 hp per liter, BMW says the new X1 can sprint to 60 mph in 6.2 seconds and reach a top speed of 149 mph with performance tires, representing slight improvements in both metrics compared to the previous X1.

All versions of the new X1 get xDrive AWD, supported by a quick, responsive 7-speed DCT, which replaces the eight-speed automatic that powered the previous model’s rear wheels or all four. The rear-drive offering goes away now with the ’23 model.
The 2.0-liter turbo powertrain upgrades make the new, athletic X1 spirited and fun to drive.
The re-engineered X1 weighs in at 3750 pounds, 53 pounds heavier than the predecessor, reflecting the new dimensions: nearly 2 inches longer and taller and nearly an inch wider. It looks more upright and more substantial.

Yes, the signature twin kidneys up front look a bit too large, but they at least appear to be correctly proportioned relative to the headlamps (which can’t be said of the new 7-Series) and the rest of the front end. There must be significant underhood cooling benefits—rather than aesthetic purposes—to BMW’s oversized kidneys.
We test drove two 2023 X1 xDrive28i models—one painted Utah Orange, the other Frozen Pure Grey—carrying a mainstream-leaning base price of $38,600, so it’s best to approach this entry-level ute understanding that 7-Series levels of comfort, materials, and features will be missing.

Although functional, the previous X1 had a lot of old-school hard buttons for climate and radio presets dominating the prime real estate of the center stack, to the right of the steering wheel. And the instrument cluster was conventional, with gauges protected by a dome-shaped brow—all very familiar cockpit design.
2023 BMW X1 instrument panel. BMW
2016 BMW X1 instrument panel.

But all bets are off now as automakers purge most of the hard buttons and in some cases combine a reconfigurable digital instrument cluster with the primary upper screen above the center stack.

That’s exactly what BMW did with the new X1, and the result is a much cleaner aesthetic as the two screens now reside behind one sheet of glass—a configuration pioneered by the 2014 Mercedes S-Class.

Certain traditionalists take issue with this layout because an instrument cluster without a brow can be exposed to too much glare. But Tesla’s wildly popular Models 3 and Y have no brow (or even an instrument cluster in front of the driver), and most other new EVs have followed this trendline.

Other big changes are found in the center console of the new X1, where the conventional protruding gear shifter and BMW’s polarizing iDrive controller on the previous model have disappeared, replaced by a simple lever for changing gears, a few buttons to select drive modes, and a volume roller positioned near the passenger’s left hand.

The lack of an iDrive joystick means the center screen will see a lot of finger taps, or voice activation can be used, too.
The protruding gear shifter and BMW’s polarizing iDrive controller have disappeared from the new X1.

Our two test models were handsomely appointed in perforated SensaTec imitation leather—one model in light mocha brown, the other in two-tone red and black. Each was equipped with a $4200 premium package that included heated steering wheel and front seats, surround-view camera, wireless phone charging, Parking Assistant Plus, and other goodies.

The Utah Orange Metallic paint job was an apparent bargain at $650 compared with the $2350 matte-finish Frozen Pure Grey Metallic paint job. That particular model carried a $50,795 sticker price, including a $2300 M Sport package incorporating 20-inch alloys, adaptive M suspension, paddle-shifting DCT, high-gloss roof rails, Anthracite headliner, and sport seats.
VIEW PHOTOSWithout the M Sport package, the Utah Orange X1 stickered for $46,795.

BMW originally launched the X1 in 2009, then followed it in 2018 with the X2 (which was three inches smaller despite what the nomenclature would suggest). The X2 is currently out of production as the plant in Regensburg, Germany, (where X1 is built, too) retools for the next-generation X2. Stay tuned for word of its on-sale date. The new X2 will be similar in size to the 2023 X1.

The outgoing X1 finished 2021 with more than 18,000 deliveries in the US—good for a third-place finish behind the Audi Q3 and Volvo XC40.
So far this year X1 tallies have trailed off severely during model changeover, and the outgoing model is at the bottom of the pack, behind the Q3, Lexus UX, Mercedes-Benz GLA, and XC40.

Munich has high hopes the fully redesigned X1 can fight for segment leadership.
2023 BMW X1 Crossover Packs In a Lot of Tech for under $40k (autoweek.com)
Old 06-29-2023, 09:56 AM

Received 5,485 Likes on 3,744 Posts
https://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2024-x1_m35i/

A performance model with unmistakable M character is taking its place at the top of the new BMW X1 range. The new BMW X1 M35i xDrive builds on the spontaneous driving pleasure that lies at the heart of the compact Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV) concept with an injection of the dynamism, agility and precision for which M models are renowned. Its four-cylinder unit is part of the new modular generation of BMW Group Efficient Dynamics engines and uses M TwinPower Turbo technology to record maximum output of 221 kW/300 hp in Europe and an even higher figure of 233 kW/317 hp in the USA and other selected markets.

The new BMW X1 M35i xDrive races to 100 km/h (62 mph) from rest in 5.4 seconds, while top speed is electronically limited to 250 km/h (155 mph). M-specific chassis technology - including the option of M Compound brakes for the first time on a performance model - teams up with BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive to deliver sublime performance characteristics. The sharper character of the new BMW X1 M35i xDrive is clearly apparent both inside and out. The new range-topping model comes with the type of exclusive design and equipment features originally reserved for high-performance cars from BMW M GmbH. These include the two pairs of exhaust tailpipes and the optional M Sport seats with illuminated M logo.

The new BMW X1 M35i xDrive also blazes a trail when it comes to digital technology: it is among the first models to feature the new BMW iDrive with QuickSelect and BMW Operating System 9. The market launch of the new BMW X1 M35i xDrive will get underway in October 2023 in the USA. Deliveries in Europe will commence in November 2023. The flagship model will be built at BMW Group Plant Regensburg, together with all other variants of the new BMW X1, including the all-electric BMW iX1.

New four-cylinder engine with extra power

The most potent incarnation of the four-cylinder petrol unit from the latest modular generation of engines delivers the raw power that the new BMW X1 M35i xDrive turns into captivating performance. Various innovations set these new engines apart from the preceding generation. They include the adoption of the Miller cycle, redesigned intake ports and combustion chambers, and changes to the camshaft timing, injection, ignition system and exhaust gas routing.

Among the 2.0-litre unit's M-specific highlights are a new, extremely robust crankshaft drive, an optimised system of oil supply for the pistons with cooling channels, and main bearing shells and caps carried over from the latest-generation six-cylinder in-line petrol engine. Its M TwinPower Turbo technology has been upgraded by increasing the performance of the turbocharging system and indirect charge air cooling at the same time as introducing dual injection for mixture preparation as a function of load point. It is also equipped with VANOS variable camshaft timing with optimised oil supply for the actuator and VALVETRONIC fully variable valve timing. The engine generates its maximum output between 5,750 and 6,500 rpm, while peak torque of 400 Nm (295 lb-ft) is on tap from 2,000 up to 4,500 rpm.

The new four-cylinder unit's spirited power delivery is accompanied by an emotionally rich soundtrack from the M-specific exhaust system. The new BMW X1 M35i xDrive is the first performance model from BMW M GmbH whose exhaust gases are channelled via two pairs of twin tailpipes. Nestled neatly into the left and right of the rear apron, they are a signature feature of high-performance models from BMW M and have now been adopted by the most powerful member of the compact SAV range.

Seven-speed Steptronic transmission with double clutch and M Sport Boost

The seven-speed Steptronic transmission fitted in the new BMW X1 M35i xDrive stands out with its ultra-sharp shift action. Shift paddles on the steering wheel allow quick manual interventions in the gear selection process.

The M Sport Boost function is also available for exceptionally rapid bursts of speed. Here, all the powertrain and chassis systems are switched to their sportiest setting when the driver pulls on the left-hand shift paddle for at least one second.

Supreme traction and agility: BMW xDrive all-wheel drive, mechanical limited-slip differential at the front axle

The BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system ensures that drive power is distributed between the front and rear wheels as required in any situation. The system is interlinked with the chassis control tech at all times. A hang-on clutch with electro-hydraulic control allows drive torque to be directed to the rear wheels as well in a matter of a few milliseconds, providing significantly greater traction, directional stability and sporting prowess in the BMW mould.

The all-wheel-drive system is assisted in its task by the mechanical limited-slip differential built into the seven-speed Steptronic transmission of the new BMW X1 M35i xDrive. This serves to limit the difference in speed between the front wheels. With a locking factor of up to 26 percent, it increases traction over loose terrain or in adverse weather conditions at the same time as boosting agility and handling dynamics when taking corners at speed.

Adaptive M suspension and sport steering as standard

Standard specification for the new BMW X1 M35i xDrive includes adaptive M suspension, whose mechanically controlled adjustable and frequency-selective dampers benefit both agility and long-distance comfort. Pressure peaks inside the dampers are smoothed out with the help of additional valves that are active on the rebound side. As a result, the system offers comfortable response when absorbing minor bumps in the road surface combined with sporty damper characteristics in dynamic driving situations.

The M-specific chassis technology on the performance model additionally brings about a 15-millimetre drop in ride height compared with other BMW X1 model variants. The sport steering that likewise comes as standard pairs Servotronic speed-sensitive power assistance with a very direct rack ratio.

Integrated braking system with the option of M Compound brakes

The integrated braking system fitted in the new BMW X1 M35i xDrive generates a degree of stopping power that is matched exactly to the driver's inputs, while also providing excellent feedback via the brake pedal. It brings together the brake activation, brake booster and braking control functions within a compact module, while an electric actuator is used to trigger the required brake pressure.

The new BMW X1 M35i xDrive is the first performance model from BMW M GmbH to be offered with the option of M Compound brakes, comprising four-piston, fixed-calliper brakes with 385-millimetre drilled discs at the front wheels and single-piston, floating-calliper units with integrated parking brake and 330-millimetre discs at the rear. The inner-vented brake discs are composed of a grey cast iron ring and an aluminium chamber. The M Compound brakes offer very comfortable braking, superb feel and stable stopping power even under high loads. In addition to this, weight has been minimised and unsprung masses are substantially lower compared with conventional braking systems. The brake callipers are painted grey and bear the M logo.

M-specific interior, optionally with M Sport seats

The likewise M-specific cockpit design also plays its part in creating a high-intensity performance experience inside the cabin. Highlights include an Alcantara-covered instrument panel, Aluminium Hexacube Dark interior trim elements, an anthracite-coloured headliner, M door sill trim, M pedals, the M-specific graphics of the BMW Curved Display - and, optionally, the BMW Head-Up Display - and an M leather steering wheel with gearshift paddles.

Standard equipment for the new BMW X1 M35i xDrive also brings black Sensatec/Alcantara sport seats with blue contrast stitching. These can alternatively be ordered as an option trimmed in Vernasca leather with special diamond quilting. Also on the options list are M Sport seats. These offer a wide range of electrical adjustment (including memory function for the driver's seat), have integral head restraints and feature an illuminated M logo in the upper section of the backrests.

The intensely sporty interior ambience goes hand in hand with unrestricted functionality. The rear seat backrest of the new BMW X1 M35i xDrive splits and folds 40 : 20 : 40, and the tilt angle of each section can also be adjusted individually. The optional forward/back adjustment for the rear seats brings even greater variability. The boot capacity can be increased from 540 litres to a maximum 1,600 litres.
​​​​​​​