BMW: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The trunk, the overall look of the new BMWs, this is Chris Bangle all over it. He set the tone and general style and asked the lower level people to expound on that. Final word passed through to Bangle.

You know, it's more than the trunks. The whole line is getting rounder up front and the headlamps are beginning to get that upturned look. The cars are beginning to look like some horrible, racist, caricature of an Asian person with upturned eyes. All in all, I just don't like it.

Ultimately, though, BMW management shares the blame. Someone should have said "wait, please, the emperor has no clothes" or more clearly "that's fugly!" Same with the i-Drive.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:31 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by dnl2ba
Peter Principle squared?
More like the "Dilbert Principle":

"The most ineffective workers are systematically moved to the place where they can do the least damage -- MANAGEMENT." Scott Adams
Old 02-05-2004, 07:53 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Gebbeth
The trunk, the overall look of the new BMWs, this is Chris Bangle all over it. He set the tone and general style and asked the lower level people to expound on that. Final word passed through to Bangle.

You know, it's more than the trunks. The whole line is getting rounder up front and the headlamps are beginning to get that upturned look. The cars are beginning to look like some horrible, racist, caricature of an Asian person with upturned eyes. All in all, I just don't like it.

Ultimately, though, BMW management shares the blame. Someone should have said "wait, please, the emperor has no clothes" or more clearly "that's fugly!" Same with the i-Drive.
You are so right!
Old 05-05-2004, 08:52 AM
'Cooter

BMW Reports $635 Million Profit, More Than DaimlerChrysler and VW Combined

May 5 (Bloomberg) -- Bayerische Motoren Werke AG, the world's second-largest luxury carmaker, reported a 523 million-euro ($635 million) profit in the first quarter, more than DaimlerChrysler AG and Volkswagen AG combined, on surging sales of the new 5-Series.

Net income rose 2.6 percent to 78 euro cents a share from 510 million euros, or 76 cents, in the year-earlier period, Chief Executive Helmut Panke said on a conference call. Sales increased 4.9 percent to 10.8 billion euros from 10.3 billion euros.

Panke, 57, is counting on new Mini models, the X3 sport-utility vehicle and Rolls-Royce Phantom to help BMW post record earnings this year. The Munich-based carmaker, which has been profitable since disposing of Rover Cars in 2000, aims to overtake DaimlerChrysler as the world's largest luxury carmaker.

``BMW appears to have everything under control,'' said Martin Sachsenmaier, who manages about 500 million euros at Frankfurt Trust and holds BMW shares. ``They're adding more products, winning new customer groups and the X3 and X5 models are selling superbly.''

Pretax profit at BMW's financial services division rose 23 percent to 132 million euros. The percentage of cars financed or leased by the financial services unit rose to 39.5 percent in the period from 36.8 percent a year ago. Cash flow in the quarter rose 11 percent to 1.15 billion euros.

``For BMW, 2004 will be the best year,'' said Panke on the call. Profit will also grow beyond this year, he added.

BMW's first-quarter vehicle sales rose 3.2 percent to 269,973 units and reached a monthly record of 117,804 vehicles in March. Sales of the 5-Series sedan, a full-size car that competes with the Mercedes E-Class, rose 55 percent to 53,466 in the quarter.

Sales of vehicles in April rose 9 percent compared with the year-earlier month, Panke said, without providing figures. Demand for cars is rising worldwide, while in Germany there are signs of an improvement.

The company expects to sell about 1,000 Rolls-Royces this year after selling 140 of the luxury models in the first quarter from one in the same quarter last year. Sales of the new X3 totaled 11,132 units, while sales of the larger X5 sport-utility vehicle rose 0.6 percent to 21,989 units. Motorcycle sales dropped 14 percent in part because of a model changeover, Panke said.

The company will introduce a new midsize 3-Series next year and a Mini convertible in July as well as the new compact 1-Series later this year. The company plans to sell at least 100,000 of the 1-Series annually and Panke said he's ``optimistic'' about sales of the X3 and 6-Series for this year. BMW-brand vehicle sales will rise under 10 percent this year.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah all those X5 and 3 Series sales sure didn't hurt.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:15 AM

their life will depend on the new 3 series.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:32 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
55% increase in sales for the 5-series?

Jeezus.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:30 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i'd be surprised if they didnt make a big profit considering how overpriced their vehicles are. 50k for a x5 3.0 is crazy.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by charliemike
55% increase in sales for the 5-series?

Jeezus.
Amen. That's amazing. I didn't think it would do that well.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:51 PM
goldmemberererer

The 5 looks real fresh and drives real well. The 55% sounds a little inflated, unless you're considering that the last 5 was due for a makeover for atleast a couple of years, so people stopped buying an outmoded-looking car.

Great job by BMW though. They know their segment real well.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Is BMW slipping?

I know people always give others crap for posting stuff from AutoSpies, but I think that this particular piece is very good. It's a collection of customer/owner reaction to the recent article in Road and Track magazine that placed the BMW 5-series very low in a group of 7 upper mid-size luxury cars. Placing first in that comparo was the Cadillac CTS. Read the letters and see if you agree.

http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...articleId=2914

Also, look for a guy farther down that writes a lot like a certain troll who keeps pestering us here. (hint: it isn't gilbo).

As for my own opinions, I must admit that I have never been a fan of BMW drivers. The cars are decent, though very over-priced. Otherwise, I agree with what the comparo says, though a little disappointed that the G35 and TL weren't included.

The comparo can be found at http://www.roadandtrack.com. I'm not sure it's up yet, but keep checking back and it'll be up eventually.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:54 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I'm not so sure there slipping but I think theres a few factors that can contribute to a BMW decline. Namely they've allowed the competition to catch up. There styling direction has definently hurt them IMO and eventhough driving dynamics have nothing to do with styling, one would'nt get the same feeling of BMW supremacy while driving a god awful ugly car, you sometimes just can't look past the looks.

I think this R&T article is significant in that 2 years ago they would not dare hand BMW a loss, and if they did it would 2nd place at worst.

The BMW aura seems to be wearing thin, I think its about time.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I think it's two fold. BMW has allowed the competition to catch up. No doubt the upcoming redesigned Lexus IS is giving them nightmares, as the Infiniti G35 is already luring away enthusiasts with its blend of power and lower price. Now imagine the Lexus with an upgraded interior (a flaw in the current IS and Infiniti G35) and driving dynamics to rival the BMW - you can see BMW is expecting nothing short of a miracle for the redesigned 3-Series to keep the competition at bay. So in that respect, they are slipping.

However, they have clever ad campaigns, the BMW logo is still something successful people aspire to own, so I don't think they're slipping in this respect. In fact, as ugly I think the X3 SUV is, I am already starting to see them pop up here and there...and mind you, it's not selling with a price advantage like the Japanese brands, it's an expensive (for what you get) car.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:53 PM
Pro

I think Lexus's marketing strategy has quickly given them the same brand cache that BMW took so long to build. If Lexus is successful at rolling out an AMG/M-equivalent division, watch out German makers. Lexus cars are expensive, but at least they aren't really overpriced (except maybe the ES: it doesn't offer much over a Camry or Avalon). For its feature set and performance, the 325i is a good $3k overpriced.

If the new 3-series is as ugly as the 5 and 7, and the new IS offers everything the old one did plus decent styling inside and out, expect BMW sales to plummet.

That said, no 'yota will ever inspire awe like an M3.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:28 PM
Intermediate

Companies like bmw and mercedes will never slide. Why? As long as there is people with money they will stay on top. Most ppl who buy highline cars is not because of the cars performance, value, or quality. Its the prestige of owning one. My dad has a S55 sitting in the garage 80% of the time and drives his 99 4runner 80%. They don't enjoy driving those big ass, gas guzzling, heavy boats. They just like how they feel in them. A sense of accomplishment not respect.

My .02
Old 05-18-2004, 03:23 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
The great majority who care about the emblem on the hood more than anything, will keep coming back until there's something even better. By the sales numbers neither BMW nor MB are slipping. Now if for some reason the Lexus/Infiniti name catches on as the thing to have then things could be different.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:47 AM
Boy Genius

I think domn, phile and TSX Hokie have the right idea - the competition is much better now and simply being a BMW is not good enough anymore. Thirty years ago, who would have thought Toyota and Honda could conquer GM, Ford and Chrysler? Less than twenty years ago, who would have thought Acura and Lexus could take on BMW and MB? Those people who think BMW is invincible are deluding themselves and have bought into their marketing hype. The luxury market is one of the last bastions waiting to be conquered (the American truck market is another).

While styling is subjective, the one thing I really can't stand about BMW is their service and attitude. The cars are overpriced and they seem to treat those who can't afford or who can't justify one with contempt. Some of the BMW drivers I've met are not much better. There will always be people who like and will buy BMWs, but there are a lot of people out there who will look at one and not see anything special either.

One final note, I remember when the previous MB S-class came out and it was called over-engineered, and then the E-class came out in '97 with the radical round lights - they didn't exactly get the best reviews then. Well, the current MB S- and E-classes are vast evolutionary improvements over those first radical departures from the MB mold, and it looks like MB has found itself again. I hope BMW does the same with their next generation.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:02 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Old 05-18-2004, 11:19 AM
T-R
Advanced

Originally posted by lokman
I think domn, phile and TSX Hokie have the right idea - the competition is much better now and simply being a BMW is not good enough anymore. Thirty years ago, who would have thought Toyota and Honda could conquer GM, Ford and Chrysler? Less than twenty years ago, who would have thought Acura and Lexus could take on BMW and MB? Those people who think BMW is invincible are deluding themselves and have bought into their marketing hype. The luxury market is one of the last bastions waiting to be conquered (the American truck market is another).

While styling is subjective, the one thing I really can't stand about BMW is their service and attitude. The cars are overpriced and they seem to treat those who can't afford or who can't justify one with contempt. Some of the BMW drivers I've met are not much better. There will always be people who like and will buy BMWs, but there are a lot of people out there who will look at one and not see anything special either.

One final note, I remember when the previous MB S-class came out and it was called over-engineered, and then the E-class came out in '97 with the radical round lights - they didn't exactly get the best reviews then. Well, the current MB S- and E-classes are vast evolutionary improvements over those first radical departures from the MB mold, and it looks like MB has found itself again. I hope BMW does the same with their next generation.
I don’t think that MB is getting better, in fact, I think it’s getting worse and worse. The legendary quality is not there anymore, it’s not even close.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:22 AM
Instructor

Seems to me that BMW drivers are not well liked here =) and I don't blame you guys, the majority of the BMW people that I have met have been really snobby, uptight people that look down on others if they don't have a BMW but who do you blame? Look at the mtv's teenagers are watching.....it's all about showing off and putting people down so you can feel better etc etc...

As a BMW owner myself, I really hope you guys can go out to the racetracks and meet some 'REAL' BMW owners...the ones that bought the car for what it is and not the brand. People that seek to not improve the car resume on the forums but ones that are constantly trying to improve their driving skills and knowledge about cars in general. These people will give anything respect because they know the car is only as fast as the driver and that ANYTHING can be fast.

Bottom line is that snobby people will continually pay for over-priced BMW's and as a BMW lover myself, I just couldn't justify spending 60k on a 530 so I bought a TSX for what it can do: Great reliability, great looks, great functions and a fun-to-drive car for under 30,000. I've heard BMW owners bitch and moan about how RWD is better but how many of them really know how to drive a car to the limit? BMW's actually understeer just as bad as a FWD on the racetrack so I believe bmw will go down ...it's just a matter of time. I can't forsee myself driving another BMW unless they start to change things over there in Munich...
Old 05-22-2004, 11:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally posted by dorikin_86
Seems to me that BMW drivers are not well liked here =) and I don't blame you guys, the majority of the BMW people that I have met have been really snobby, uptight people that look down on others if they don't have a BMW but who do you blame? Look at the mtv's teenagers are watching.....it's all about showing off and putting people down so you can feel better etc etc...

As a BMW owner myself, I really hope you guys can go out to the racetracks and meet some 'REAL' BMW owners...the ones that bought the car for what it is and not the brand. People that seek to not improve the car resume on the forums but ones that are constantly trying to improve their driving skills and knowledge about cars in general. These people will give anything respect because they know the car is only as fast as the driver and that ANYTHING can be fast.

Bottom line is that snobby people will continually pay for over-priced BMW's and as a BMW lover myself, I just couldn't justify spending 60k on a 530 so I bought a TSX for what it can do: Great reliability, great looks, great functions and a fun-to-drive car for under 30,000. I've heard BMW owners bitch and moan about how RWD is better but how many of them really know how to drive a car to the limit? BMW's actually understeer just as bad as a FWD on the racetrack so I believe bmw will go down ...it's just a matter of time. I can't forsee myself driving another BMW unless they start to change things over there in Munich...
Thank you dorikin.

I bitch a lot about BMW drivers because most of the ones I meet on a daily basis on the street are arrogant, pompous, and down right rude people. However, I will admit that the ones I've run into at track events and such are definitely nice people and much more appreciative of the cars capabilities and are capable of accepting the fact that FWD cars have improved to the point of being competitive with RWD cars. You sound like one of those and I'm sure everyone here will appreciate your input.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:20 PM
Instructor

thanx CG:

I just don't know why a lot of BMW owners are jerks...sigh...they REALLY do give me a bad name but oh well...thank goodness there is the TSX people hehehehehe..I"m very very happy with my purchase.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:34 AM
Pro

Originally posted by SpoonTsx
Companies like bmw and mercedes will never slide. Why? As long as there is people with money they will stay on top. Most ppl who buy highline cars is not because of the cars performance, value, or quality. Its the prestige of owning one. My dad has a S55 sitting in the garage 80% of the time and drives his 99 4runner 80%. They don't enjoy driving those big ass, gas guzzling, heavy boats. They just like how they feel in them. A sense of accomplishment not respect.
The same thing could be said about Cadillac up until around 1970.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
BMW sold more vehicles than Mercedes in May

BMW nips Mercedes in May, closes gap for '04 sales crown - - By JENS MEINERS | Automotive News Europe - - Source: Autoweek

MUNICH, Germany -- BMW Group outsold Mercedes-Benz's car group globally in May. It was an early reminder of BMW's goal of becoming the world's best-selling premium brand by 2008.

The BMW car group, which consists of BMW, Mini and Rolls-Royce brands, sold 105,655 units in May. The Mercedes car group - Mercedes-Benz, Smart and Maybach - sold 102,300 units. The BMW brand also finished ahead of Mercedes-Benz cars, 90,268 to 89,500, according to figures from each company.

"It's a head-on race, and BMW now is preparing to overtake," says Jochen Siebert, vice president Europe at CSM Worldwide in Bad Homburg, Germany. "It's very possible that BMW may stay permanently ahead of Mercedes-Benz."

For the first five months of this year, Mercedes-Benz car group sales are 0.4 percent ahead of BMW group. The breakdown: 479,100 to 477,070.

That's much tighter than global sales last year. In the first five months of 2003, the Mercedes car group led by 112,000 units.

In 1995, BMW outsold Mercedes-Benz 590,100 to 585,600. But Mercedes-Benz has traditionally led the pair. It's a trend that continued even after each added entry-level and superluxury sister brands.

Mercedes-Benz argues that sales may fluctuate this year as several models are replaced. Spokeswoman Eva Guratzsch called 2004 a transitional year. Production is ramping up for several high-volume new cars, such as the face-lifted C class, Smart ForFour and the second generation of the A class due in September.

"Our long-term goal to stay the No. 1 luxury brand remains standing," Guratzsch says.

BMW spokesman Marc Hassinger says it is not BMW's goal to outsell the competition. This contrasts with statements last November by Michael Ganal, BMW board member for marketing. He said BMW would keep entering new segments to reach 1.4 million annual sales by 2008.

The next step in the BMW effort comes in September with the 1-series entry-premium model.

Old 07-07-2004, 04:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

While Detroit goes through slump, BMW has record first half

BMW has record first half, June car sales jump - - Reuters / July 07, 2004 - - Source: Autonews.com

FRANKFURT -- BMW had a record first half in 2004 after reporting a 17.4 percent rise in June global sales to 113,886 cars, the German luxury carmaker said on Wednesday.

Deliveries of its core BMW brand cars rose 19.7 percent last month to 97,865 units, while those of its Mini brand grew 4.8 percent to 15,972 units.

For the first half of 2004, group sales totalled 590,983 vehicles -- including 319 Rolls-Royces -- a rise of 8.5 percent.

"This is the most successful first half in the history of the BMW group," the company said in a statement.

Sales of its new BMW X3 compact sports utility vehicle and its 6-series luxury coupe and cabrio amounted to 33,275 and 10,575 respectively in the first six months.

Together with a 51 percent rise in 5-series deliveries, the new models helped compensate for double-digit dips in 7-series and 3-series sales.

"We will also grow significantly in the second half of the year," BMW sales and marketing head Michael Ganal said in a statement.

BMW group deliveries for the first half even eclipsed those of its biggest rival, Mercedes Car Group.

DaimlerChrysler's luxury division reported on Tuesday that sales for its Mercedes-Benz, smart and Maybach brands slipped 3.4 percent to 584,800 units.

"They (BMW) are the most amazing marketing machine," CSFB analyst Harald Hendrikse said. "They are managing their sales this year astoundingly well."

BEST SALES EVER IN 2004

BMW is targeting record vehicle sales for all three brands this year thanks to the biggest product offensive in its history.

In 2004, the company will have launched the new 6-series, the X3, the 5-series estate, the Mini Cabrio and its brand-new addition to the compact class - the 1-series hatchback.

Chief Executive Helmut Panke said in May he expected sales of BMW brand cars to grow by a high single-digit percentage in 2004.

The company has also said it expects to boost Rolls-Royce deliveries to 1,000 from the 300 it sold last year. A BMW spokesman confirmed the goal, even though the brand would have to more than double sales in the second half.

The group predicts deliveries of all three brands will rise to 1.4 million vehicles by 2008.

BMW's success in posting record sales of its core BMW cars contrasts sharply with the sliding sales of Daimler's Mercedes-Benz brand.

On Tuesday, Daimler reported a 1.8 percent decline in global deliveries of its flagship brand for June, and a cumulative fall of 5.5 percent in the first half to 522,500 vehicles.

Mercedes is gearing up for its own product offensive, which the Stuttgart-based group hopes will boost sales to 1.5 million cars by 2010 from an expected 1.1 million for the current year.

Old 07-07-2004, 06:01 PM
__

does that mean the X3 is popular????
Old 07-07-2004, 09:41 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hate X3
Old 07-07-2004, 10:06 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
x3 w/the aero kit is
Old 07-08-2004, 09:26 AM
I Feel Too Old Here

and to think of all the people who thought bangle's designs wouldnt sell.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I think the X3 will have two GREAT, first selling years. Watch.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
and to think of all the people who thought bangle's designs wouldnt sell.
Most new models from BMW and Benz sell, its just what happens 2 and 3 years down the road that matters. The Z4 for example is selling terribly and its not that old of a model.

The high volume sales all came from new models, the 5, 6, X3.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:53 AM
The hair says it all

the 5 has grown on me sooo much, it doesn't surprise me that it sells well

i just happen to like the old one more still
Old 08-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Safety Car

BMW’s automobile sales dipped 25 percent

BMW Automobile Sales
BMW’s automobile sales dipped 25 percent in July, to 13,974 versus 18,559 in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date, sales were down 7.7 percent, to 111,580 automobiles compared to 120,912 in the same period in 2003.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Suzuka Master

The new 5 series is really dragging them down from the looks of it
Old 08-06-2004, 09:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Interesting...
Old 08-06-2004, 10:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

BMW group vehicle sales up 4.6% in July - - - Reuters / August 06, 2004 - - Source: Automotive News

FRANKFURT -- BMW sold 4.6 percent more cars in July as rising deliveries of its core BMW brand vehicles compensated for a drop in Mini sales, the company said on Friday.

Group vehicle sales increased to 97,513 units in July, helped by a 6.5 percent boost in sales of BMW brand vehicles to 81,502 units. Mini sales slid 4.5 percent to 15,972 cars.

BMW reiterated its forecast for vehicle sales to grow by a high single-digit percentage figure in 2004.

For the first seven months, deliveries rose 7.9 percent to 688,510 vehicles, helping the Munich-based carmaker maintain its lead over arch-rival Mercedes Car Group, a unit of DaimlerChrysler AG.

Chief Executive Helmut Panke told reporters on Wednesday that group sales had risen between 4-5 percent last month due to an increase in BMW brand sales of some 7 percent on the back of the group's largest ever model offensive.

Panke said Mini sales would be somewhat lower in July due to the ramp up of the brand's new cabrio model, and suggested the decline might not end there. Nevertheless, on the year as a whole, deliveries of its cult brand should still increase.

"Even if we have a month or two this summer where we're below on the year, we will achieve at the end of the year a new sales record for Mini as well," Panke said after BMW posted record quarterly results.

BMW also reaffirmed on Wednesday that it would achieve new all-time highs in earnings, revenues and car sales for the current year.

Old 08-06-2004, 10:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

What what are they? Up or down? Is one global and one for US only?
Old 08-06-2004, 10:05 PM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm.......is this Bangle's implications rearing their ugly head?
Old 08-09-2004, 08:17 AM

The 5 series sales are BADLY needed. And it's not happening. The funny thing is the X3 has gotten blasted in every magazine for basically being a POS and it's selling like hotcakes. The Roundel still holds hella value.
I think with the competition stepping up so quickly, this is the wrong time to be arrogant and try new styling ideas on a luxury car.

BTW, BMW is selling Minis but not making much money on them. There is an article in EVO stating the cars cost to much to make. Though in retrospect, it's well worth it.
THe next Mini is going to be a cost-cutting car.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
BTW, BMW is selling Minis but not making much money on them. There is an article in EVO stating the cars cost to much to make. Though in retrospect, it's well worth it.
THe next Mini is going to be a cost-cutting car.
Yeah I read that one. There will be big changes in the next Mini under the skin to cut costs. The rear Z Axle will be dropped for example and the trick with the windows closing flush with the roof will be eliminated. The fact that the Mini currently required to pass through the painting line twice due to the dual colors (top/roof and the rest of the car) is costing a ton and it does not permit mass production. At least not to the point that BMW would want to see the Mini due to demand. Also the engine will come from a cooperation of BMW with the PSA group from France. And the wheelbase will be larger to accomodate several other Mini spinoffs.

Quick Reply: BMW: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News