BMW: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 02:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Wait isnt FSD still in Beta? how can they make you pay 199 a month on something that barely exist?
Old 07-13-2022, 03:44 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,449 Likes on 4,971 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
On that note, I wish they had a subscription for Enhanced AP as well. That would actually be useful for a road trip.
It's supposedly coming. I still don't see the benefit though. I've done a few roadtrips in my 3 without EAP or FSD and it's been fine. The only issues were phantom braking (which made me keep autopilot off the rest of the trip).
Old 07-13-2022, 04:08 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,155 Likes on 4,037 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Wait isnt FSD still in Beta? how can they make you pay 199 a month on something that barely exist?
Same way they can have you pay $12k for something that barely exists. On top of both of those bills, you still have to audition for the opportunity to use something you paid for...that also doesn't work.

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
It's supposedly coming. I still don't see the benefit though. I've done a few roadtrips in my 3 without EAP or FSD and it's been fine. The only issues were phantom braking (which made me keep autopilot off the rest of the trip).
Mostly for the navigate on AP and the auto lane change thing, I hate that autosteer disengages when you change lanes, but that all depends on how much they're asking for it. I'd pay $50 for a month's run of EAP for a road trip but probably not more than that.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:41 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,742 Likes on 6,514 Posts
This is such a bad post, so disappointing. Like are you trolling!? You can't be this dumb, it's so fucking obvious.

Not the same at all. FSD requires continuous costs to upkeep, massive server farm, Billions in hardware and software, and thousands of engineers who get paid every two weeks. The subscription model makes sense for FSD because the costs to maintain it will always be there. Just like anti-virus on a PC, there's new threats daily. you have to keep up, that costs money. Same with Netflix, Blue Apron, etc.

Heated seats!? What continuous costs are there for heated seats?

I've stated before I don't like Tesla's single price lump sum model for FSD, it doesn't make sense long term, only short term to help cover the massive up front costs required to get the system developed. Long-term FSD should be a subscription service tied to the user's account and moved between vehicles.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:03 PM
Team Owner

Damn totally makes sense... i should voluntarily pay a monthly subscription to google and BMW for my Google map and BMW's GPS.
Tesla's subscription for a feature makes sense, others dont. Tesla's monthly price hike is good business. Dealer markup? how dare you!!

If you dont like BMW's subscription for the heated seat, just buy that option when you buy the car. I dont know what you bitching about. It is not like they took that choice away from their customers.
I on the other hand would LOVE to un-subscribe my heated seat if i could even it only saves $1 a month. as well as my heated steering wheel, sunroof, wireless charging and that useless gesture control. Please take them.

Even if you pay full $12k for the FSD, it still does not work Now that is the difference.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 07-13-2022 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-14-2022, 06:14 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
Heated seats!? What continuous costs are there for heated seats?
You seem to be under the mistaken understanding that the consumer price somehow needs to be related to the producers' cost.

Biker, who enjoyed the sabbatical the two EV/Tesla evangelists took.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:45 AM
Race Director

You may have heard about BMW's move to charge monthly subscription fees for some common features like heated seats. It seems the entire world has heard since Motor1.com broke the news about an $18 monthly charge for warm seats in South Korea. BMW apparently heard as well, prompting the automaker to release a statement clarifying its subscription service known as BMW Functions on Demand.

The primary takeaway is that, at least in the United States, BMW won't charge a subscription for options already selected and paid for by the purchaser. In simple terms, if you buy a new BMW X3 or any Bimmer with heated seats either as standard equipment or a paid-for option, it's a done deal. No monthly subscription is required to use, and that goes for subsequent owners who buy the car secondhand. If the feature is included or added as an option, it's always available for the life of the car.

In its statement, BMW explains that Functions on Demand works with software-based features using hardware already installed in the vehicle. It allows buyers to sample a feature before deciding if they want it, presumably saving a bit of cash on the purchase price. As an example, BMW highlights a dash cam feature currently available through Functions on Demand in the US, using cameras already installed for advanced driver-assist systems. The automaker also relegates remote start to Functions on Demand, requiring either a subscription or a purchase to activate it.

If the hardware is already in place, why place functionality of the features behind a paywall for use? In such a regard, the user is paying for the software to use it. For now, only these two features are offered through Functions on Demand in the US market. But as we saw with BMW's heated seat feature in South Korea, not all markets are equal.
BMW USA Won't Have Heated Seat Subscription If Option Is Already Chosen (motor1.com)
Old 07-14-2022, 12:15 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,475 Likes on 932 Posts
I was going to say, BMW won't charge subscriptions for heated seats in the USA (yet), so thank goodness.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:44 PM
Team Owner

I mean if BMW USA keeps the way it is on options except they give you a new choice for ppl who didnt select certain options when they bought the car but regret it later, I dont see anything wrong with it.

Now if they want you to pay for the options and then still charge you for subscription, then they can go suck a big one,
The following users liked this post:
RPhilMan1 (07-18-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 04:21 PM
Team Owner

My connect drive is full of gimmick LOL apps that they want you to pay... pretty funny. they have been around for a while now. Nothing new really.

Official Press Release Statement by BMW NA:

Statement of Clarification Regarding BMW Functions on Demand in the U.S. Market.

In response to recent media reports, BMW of North America would like to clarify how BMW’s Functions on Demand strategy will be implemented in the U.S. market.

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – July 14, 2022… As premium vehicle purchasers, BMW customers in the USA demand a high level of equipment in their vehicles. Options like heated seats are ordered on over 90% of the BMWs sold in the USA. If a vehicle is initially ordered with heated seats, that option will remain fully operational for the life of the vehicle. BMW of North America does not expect factory option purchase levels to change significantly going forward.

BMW Functions on Demand on the other hand is designed to offer premium features through software upload that use data and sensors from factory option hardware already built into BMW vehicles. As an example, some BMW models equipped with certain specific options from the factory can currently add the first two Functions on Demand features available in the US – namely a dash cam function called BMW Drive Recorder and BMW Remote Engine Start function—through a software download in a customer’s vehicle. The BMW Drive Recorder feature uses the cameras needed for advanced driver assist systems for dash cam functionality. This gives customers the possibility of adding new software based functionality and a degree of flexibility in that they will be able to test, and then decide whether or not to purchase a vehicle feature that was not initially available at the time of the original vehicle purchase.

With BMW Functions on Demand, customers will be able to explore new software-based features on a short-term basis by purchasing a trial, or buying that feature outright for a period of time or for the life of the vehicle. It is important to note that BMW Functions on Demand is intended primarily as a digital aftersales solution and will not affect options that were ordered at the time of the vehicle purchase.

Please note that BMW Functions on Demand and the possibility to test or purchase select options after the point of purchase is part of a global aftersales strategy that BMW has introduced in various markets around the world, including on a small-scale basis in the U.S. The features that are available in this digital aftersales online store will vary from market-to-market. Customers can browse available features in their local ConnectedDrive store online.

BMW USA has now made
on the controversial subscriptions for certain Function on Demand features (i.e. https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1937340 in Korea).Just to be 100% clear: Drivers in the US do NOT have to pay a subscription for heated seats or for any other options ordered at time of purchase.

BMW Functions on Demand is a program that DOES offer premium options, like BMW Drive Recorder and Remote Engine Start, via software updates. Based on vehicle compatibility, customers can purchase a trial of these features, then decide if they want to purchase a feature outright.

BMW Function on Demand features will vary from market-to-market. You can browse available features for the US in the ConnectedDrive store at MyBMW.com or on the My BMW App.

For the people in the back: If a BMW is ordered with heated seats, this will not go away, nor do we have any plans to introduce a monthly charge for this option.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 07-15-2022 at 04:24 PM.
RPhilMan1 (07-18-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 07:23 AM
Race Director

BMW Group is planning a radical change in the way it sells new vehicles on the European continent. The automaker will introduce a direct-sale model in the next few years, which should make the process of buying a new BMW or a new Mini more transparent and easier for the customer. That doesn’t mean there won’t be dealerships involved, however – and BMW Group’s sales and marketing director Pieter Nota recently provided more information on how the new approach will work.

BMW calls this new way of selling cars an agency model. Under this strategy, BMW will invoice customers directly and the dealerships will receive a fixed fee for each sale - and customers will get the same prices everywhere the new sales model operates. The company believes this new method will benefit all three sides involved in the process of buying a new vehicle. BMW also says there has been a misunderstanding regarding the way this new sales process works.

But when does this new experience will begin? BMW Group will pioneer it with the Mini brand in 2024, followed by the BMW brand about two years later. For now, this agency model will be applied only to the European markets with no word regarding whether BMW will also implement this business practice in the United States.

“We will improve the customer experience and provide an attractive business model for our agents, and at the same time gain direct access to the customer. Those are the three most important aspects in our plans,” Pieter Nota told Automotive News in a recent interview.

Mini, BMW Group’s UK-based brand for small vehicles, is already preparing for the new agency model. Nota told the online publication, however, the marque isn’t a guinea pig “that we could do then do better at BMW two years later.” The new structures and the IT development that will support this major change are already “very far along” and it seems that there’s no turning back – like it or not, BMW will soon sell you a brand new BMW or Mini at a fixed price and will pay its dealers a commission for every deal. Doesn't sound bad, right?
Mini To Introduce Fixed Prices In Europe From 2024, BMW In 2026 (motor1.com)
Old 12-09-2022, 10:35 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
BMW trying to emulate Tesla…??? Who would have “thunk” that…??? .
Please note that dealership “fees” need to be paid regardless.
Old 12-12-2022, 01:32 PM
Team Owner

U know Before Tesla, there was Saturn and Scion?
Old 12-12-2022, 09:55 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
U know Before Tesla, there was Saturn and Scion?
And what....? They still sold through dealerships.....initially tried fixed pricing but didn't work out....... ultimately nothing was different from other brands.

Dealerships killed the idea. So the problem is the dealership model.
Old 12-13-2022, 05:23 PM
Team Owner

Sure, but i dont know what is worse, those dealership markups or multiple price hikes within 1 year directly from the manuf.

Old 12-13-2022, 06:50 PM

While also removing components.

Glad I got mine when I did so I could have parking sensors. The cars without don't do a great job.

​​​​​​
Old 12-14-2022, 12:39 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
While also removing components.

Glad I got mine when I did so I could have parking sensors. The cars without don't do a great job.

​​​​​​
You dont need sensors. Camera > Sensors
Hearing thing is overrated
Old 09-08-2023, 11:30 AM

Received 5,547 Likes on 3,784 Posts
https://www.thedrive.com/news/bmw-is...ple-hated-them

Last year, BMW underwent media and customer hellfire over its decision to offer a monthly subscription for heated seats. While seat heating wasn't the only option available for subscription, it was the one that seemed to infuriate everyone the most, since it concerned hardware already present in the car from the factory. After months of customers continuously expressing their displeasure with the plan, BMW has finally decided to abandon recurring charges for hardware-based functions.

"What we don’t do any more—and that is a very well-known example—is offer seat heating by [monthly subscriptions]" BMW marketing boss Pieter Nota said to Autocar. "It’s either in or out. We offer it by the factory and you either have it or you don’t have it."

BMW's move wasn't solely about charging customers monthly for heated seats. Rather, the luxury automaker wanted to streamline production and reduce costs there by physically installing heated seats in every single car, since 90% of all BMWs are bought with seat heaters anyway. Then, owners who didn't spec heated seats from the factory could digitally unlock them later with either a monthly subscription or a one-time perma-buy option. Nota still believes it was a good idea.

"We thought that we would provide an extra service to the customer by offering the chance to activate that later, but the user acceptance isn’t that high. People feel that they paid double, which was actually not true, but perception is reality, I always say. So that was the reason we stopped that," Nota told Autocar.

That's one perspective; another is that BMW was absolutely double dipping with heated seat subscriptions. The company started down that route to reduce production costs, making each car cheaper to build by streamlining the process. Fair enough. However, those reduced costs weren't then passed down to buyers via lower MSRPs. Customers were technically paying for those heated seats anyway, no matter whether they wanted them. Then, BMW was not only charging extra to use a feature already installed in the car, but also subjecting it to subscription billing, even though seat heating is static hardware not designed to change or improve over time.

Customers weren't happy, and rightfully made their grievance known. While it's good that BMW ultimately buckled to the public's wishes here, it doesn't seem like the automaker's board members truly understand why the outrage happened in the first place.

Going forward, BMW says it will continue to offer subscription-based services but only for software options, like driver assistance and digital assistant services, which is completely understandable. Customers will either pay monthly or once all up front to gain access to such capabilities. Thankfully, though, BMW seems finished with any hardware-based subscriptions, for now.
Old 09-08-2023, 04:42 PM
Team Owner

Since when has car manuf. passed down the cost saving to end users? We are fortunate enough if they dont charge more for less.... oh wait...
Old 11-20-2023, 02:42 PM

Received 5,547 Likes on 3,784 Posts
https://www.thedrive.com/news/bmws-1...ent-sold-in-us

BMW is now among the ranks of Porsche and Ferrari, in offering motorsport-inspired center-locking wheels for some of its M cars. If you're the proud owner of a BMW M2, M3, or M4, you can order new center-lock wheels from the M Performance Parts catalog and feel a bit cooler on track. However, there's a catch. Well, there are actually two.

As neat as it is that BMW is offering center-lockers for its cars, us 'Mericans aren't allowed to have them, at least not yet. A BMW USA representative told The Drive that the center-locking wheels aren't offered in the United States market right now. While they may be available in the future, there's currently no word on U.S. customers being able to order them. Considering Porsche offers U.S. customers center-lock wheels on its 911 GT3 and GT2 models, it's unusual that BMW would exclude them.

The other catch is that European customers that do order them will also be on the hook for the tools required to remove them, as that's not included with the wheels themselves. With a center-locking wheel, there's only a single, very large lug that holds the wheel onto the hub, and it's much larger than a typical wheel lug, which means it needs a specific socket.

When you order a Porsche 911 GT3 with center-lock wheels, that bespoke socket comes with the car, in a little cubby in the trunk. Not so for BMW's wheels, as the socket is sold separately for a price the company hasn't yet disclosed. That means customers will either have to pay extra for the socket, on top of the 12,000 euros ($13,133) the wheels reportedly cost, or be forced to have a dealership handle any wheel removal. Considering many buyers will use these wheels on track and may need to swap setups on the fly, this seems especially stingy by BMW.

In addition to the specialized socket, owners will need to buy either a torque-multiplier or a big-ass breaker bar to get that socket off. That goes for Porsche's wheels, too. A heavy-duty torque wrench will be needed to tighten the center lug, too, as BMW claims it requires 685 lb-ft of torque (930 Nm).

For how much BMW is charging for these wheels, the socket should absolutely be included. Hell, for more than $13,000, they should come with a torque wrench and a lifetime subscription for upper body massages, to alleviate the pain of having to crank 685 lb-ft. Then again, this is BMW we're talking about. Is it any surprise?

Old 11-26-2023, 11:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 514 Likes on 290 Posts
Center locks are what I dislike most about my car. If it was an option, I would have not specc’ed it.

Also, regarding the subscription, I’m not in favor of that. I would prefer a system that’s similar to maps in my car, if I want to update the maps, I buy the update and move on. For services like mobile apps and remote start, there is a cell service involved so monthly cost makes sense there.

Also, regarding the subscription fiasco, I though also that if you bought the feature up front, it’s fine you have the feature, but for some reason I thought it was only a few years, and also if you sold the car they would inactivate it which would drop the cars value.
Comfy (12-03-2023)
Old 04-30-2024, 01:29 PM
Race Director

BMW has long had the letter "i" at the end of its model names—325i, 540i, etc. The letter was initially used to differentiate fuel-injected cars from their carbureted counterparts, which had a three-digit name denoting series and engine size. But BMW has long since dropped carburetors, and it has the "i" electric sub-brand. So after decades, BMW is getting rid of the "i" from the end of model names.

A BMW executive confirmed the news to BMWBlog. The publication noted that the next-generation X3 is getting an M50 model whereas the current model is offered as an M40i. Bernd Köber, Senior Vice President BMW Brand and Product Management, Connected Company, told BMWBlog the automaker now wants "i" to mean you're driving an electric car.

In a world where BMW sells an i5 that's fully electric and a 540i that isn't, you can see how some customers could get confused. And yes, the lowercase "i" at the end of the model name is heritage, but the electric "i" sub-brand is also now a well-established property. It's also one of the best naming conventions in electric cars. The name i5 makes it obvious that we're talking about an electric 5 Series, for example.We're not sure when we'll see the "i" dropped from the rest of BMW's gas-powered lineup. It will be strange to see something like "330" on the back of a 3 Series, because the "i" at the end has become such a staple.

To this author's best recollection, the last time we saw a BMW badge like that in the U.S. was in the mid 1980s with the 325 eta, which used a low-revving long-stroke version of the company's M20 straight-six. Despite being fuel injected, some of these cars were badged as, simply, 325, while others were badged 325e. BMW has also subbed in the letter "d" for diesel cars, though we haven't had one of those in the U.S. for some time either.
BMW Is Dropping the 'i' On Its Gas Cars (motor1.com)
Old 08-22-2024, 02:22 PM
Race Director

For the first time ever, BMW sold more electric cars than Tesla in Europe. The July figures are now in, and according to analytics firm JATO Dynamics, BMW sold 14,869 new EVs in Europe last month. Tesla sold 14,561 new electric cars in July.

This means that BMW sold 308 more EVs than Tesla. And while that's a fairly small margin, it shows how much the German automaker has quietly become a power-hitter in the electric world, even as it continues to offer hybrid, plug-in hybrid and gas options too.

JATO Dynamics states that Tesla experienced a bit of a slump last month in Europe, with registrations of both the Model Y and Model 3 falling. Model Y sales were down 16% to 9,544 units sold. Meanwhile, Model 3 sales slid by 17% to 4,694. These slides allowed BMW Group to narrowly move into first place for EV sales in Europe in July.
BMW Takes Down Tesla: More EVs Sold In Europe (insideevs.com)
Old 08-22-2024, 10:13 PM

#tHeCoMpEtItIoNiScOmInG

No, the competition is here.
The following 2 users liked this post by civicdrivr:
Legend2TL (09-10-2024), SamDoe1 (08-23-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 10:34 AM
Ex-OEM King

The i4 I had as a loaner was a great EV to drive, and it was the slow one. Aside from really needing a better designed UI for the infotainment, I would DEFINITELY buy one over a Model 3.
Old 08-30-2024, 09:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 514 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
The i4 I had as a loaner was a great EV to drive, and it was the slow one. Aside from really needing a better designed UI for the infotainment, I would DEFINITELY buy one over a Model 3.
yeah but why have 6 feet of hood and 0 storage under it? I know it’s petty, but that bugs me enough that I would pass on it, same with the i7 and iX and the EQS and EQE, although that’s just an additional reason to the styling for the last 4 mentioned.
Tesla, Ford, Rivian, Porsche, Audi, Lucid all managed to make use out of that space.
The following 2 users liked this post by PhilB81:
civicdrivr (08-31-2024), Legend2TL (09-10-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 02:38 PM

^^ That is exactly the reason I passed on the i4. It's a great looking car because it looks like a car. The problem is BMW didn't make an EV specific chassis for it. They used the 4 series, which means all that shit (and more) under the hood of the ICE vehicle needs to stay there, so there's no space for storage. And because the ICE car has a transmission and driveshaft and exhaust, the EV ends up with a trans tunnel instead of a flat floor. Really a shame IMO. It's good looking car with a normal interior and good build quality and the company isn't run by a dickhead man-child.
PhilB81 (09-04-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 05:14 PM
Ex-OEM King

^This. The new i4 and i3 should end up on an EV specific platform to make use of that space...or at least optimize the rest of the car for an EV drivetrain.
PhilB81 (09-04-2024)
Old 09-09-2024, 10:02 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Maybe in another five years. LOL