BMW: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 09:56 AM
'Cooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Munich, Germany Feb. 11 (Bloomberg) -- Bayerische Motoren Werke AG, the No. 2 luxury carmaker, reported sales of BMW-brand cars fell 7.5 percent in January on lower demand for the 5-Series model and concern about higher taxes in Germany.

Sales of BMW-brand cars fell to 64,800 units from 70,070 units, the company said in a faxed statement. Group sales, including the Mini-brand grew 2.7 percent to 79,900 vehicles. Mini sales doubled to 15,100 cars.

BMW said it expects 2003 sales to rise with the introduction of a new version of the 5-Series later in the year. Some customers are waiting for the new model, analysts have said. In addition, German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder's government has proposed raising taxes on company cars by 50 percent.

Sales of the 5-Series, which competes with Mercedes-Benz E-Class, fell 23 percent to 10,870. Sales of the 3-Series fell 6 percent to 40,970 units. BMW also is planning to revamp the convertible, coupe and compact version of the 3-Series this year.

Sales in the U.K., BMW's third-largest market, fell 18 percent last month. Worldwide sales of the flagship 7-Series rose 12 percent to 4,370 units.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
BMW brand sales fall in Jan., but automaker is confident about 2003

Reuters / February 11, 2003

FRANKFURT -- German luxury carmaker BMW said Tuesday that it had sold fewer BMW brand cars in January than the same month last year as key models aged before forthcoming updates, but it remained confident for the full year.

The company based in Munich, Germany, said that BMW brand January sales fell 7.5 percent to 64,800 cars in January, although sales of the small Mini almost doubled to 15,100, lifting overall BMW group sales by 2.7 percent.

BMW faces a tough ride in the first half of this year ahead of a spate of new-model launches, with analysts expecting a turning point around the middle of the year as its reaps the benefits of the new-product drive.

"The BMW brand recorded a decline in sales largely due to the effect of model cycles," the company said in a statement, but added it was confident of lifting sales over the year as a whole.

The BMW brand sales growth so far this year puts it behind main rival Mercedes, the luxury unit of DaimlerChrysler, which said Thursday that sales of Mercedes brand passenger cars alone rose 1 percent to 81,100 vehicles.

Overall Mercedes group sales dipped 0.5 percent to 87,100 vehicles, weighed down by a sharp drop in sales of its small Smart cars.

"It's no surprise that we've seen a decrease in BMW brand sales in January. 2002 and 2003 are transition years for BMW until the model offensive starts to take effect," HVB autos analyst Georg Stuerzer said.

NEW MODELS

The company is launching a version of its key 5-series saloon this year as well as a diesel version of the Mini and three updated versions of its 3 series. It also will unveil a small X-3 SUV and a 6-series coupe.

"After the market launch of new models and model updates, the company is assuming that sales will rise in 2003, with increasing energy in the second half, for all of the group's brands compared with the previous year," BMW said.

The costs ahead of the launches have unnerved some investors. BMW stock has lost almost a third of its value and underperformed the DJ European autos index by close to 10 percent since it posted third-quarter figures in early November that raised concerns about profit margin slippage.

The company, which declines to say how profitable individual models are, said sales of its outgoing 5 series fell by 23 percent in January to 10,870, while 3-series sales also dipped, falling about 6 percent to 40,970.

BMW sold 1.057 million vehicles last year and said late last month that revenues had risen almost 10 percent to $45 billion, although sales in the fourth quarter slipped slightly.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:51 PM
Certified Lurker

Interesting that 5 series sales fell so much...maby people waiting for the new one????
Old 05-16-2003, 04:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

BMW US sales not affected by US-German political wrangle over Iraq

AFX News Limited - May 15, 2003

MUNICH (AFX) - Bayerische Motoren Werke AG's sales in the US have so far not been negatively affected by the political differences between the US and Germany over Iraq, even though the issue has been a burden for German companies doing business in the US, management board chairman Helmut Panke told the AGM.

"You've touched on a major issue - the political differences between Germany and the US and whether or not these are impacting on our business in the US," Panke said in response to questions from shareholders.

Germany opposed the US military action in Iraq and is now trying to mend relations with the US government.

Panke said first quarter unit sales for the BMW group in the US were above those in the year-earlier. "Also for the BMW brand, we were higher in the USA in the first quarter," he added.

"In the first quarter of 2003, we are the leader in the luxury performance segment in the USA...BMW is ahead of Lexus, ahead of Mercedes(-Benz)," he said, adding that the company has so far "not felt" the issue has had an impact at all.

Panke also disclosed he had discussions with the US ambassador to Germany "several weeks ago" on the issue and tomorrow, he along with a small group of German business leaders will discuss with US state secretary Colin Powell on how to resolve "this conflict".
Old 05-19-2003, 10:50 AM
Moderator Alumnus

BMW chief gives kudos to Cadillac, praises brand building effort

By BOB ENGLISH
Automotive News

CAGLIARI, Sardinia - At the launch here of the redesigned 5 series, BMW's top executive took time out to praise Cadillac.

Helmut Panke, chairman of BMW AG, says Cadillac is leading other North American brands in trying to establish a brand identity and common design theme throughout its lineup, from cars to SUVs.

"It has made a strong effort to reposition itself and do it consistently, not a model here and then something completely strange and inconsistent on another side of the market," he says.

Brand building takes several years and several model generations, he says. Cadillac has to move step by step to build on its strengths, something BMW has been doing for the past 30 years or more.

"Everybody (now) knows what BMW stands for, and maybe at the end everybody will know what Cadillac stands for," he says. "Maybe this is one of the secret successes of (Vice Chairman) Bob Lutz, giving the brand enough freedom within the GM organization that they can follow this direction and bring those products to market.

"Let's see if all those products will be accepted or not, but at least it's a clear-cut effort to make the brand discernible and recognizable in the marketplace."

Cadillac will start this summer selling two new vehicles with the angular CTS design theme: the XLR roadster and the SRX sport wagon.

Also moving to re-establish their North American image, Panke says, are Chrysler, with cars such as the 300C, and Ford, with its Mustang concept.

With the 300C, a full-sized sedan with rear-wheel drive, Chrysler is going back to what is authentically American, not following either a European or Japanese lead, he says.

"What you see is a revisiting of where the strength of the North American industry lay in the past, not just copying what others are doing." The production car off the 300C concept is due in the first quarter of 2004.

The Dodge Magnum, a wagon, also is an attempt to revive an American classic. "We all wonder whether station wagons are really coming back. But going back to some of the elements of what a station wagon used to be, making it modern, making it clearly a Dodge, is saying we don't want to copy," Panke says. The Magnum is due in spring 2004.

Says Panke, "We should all look to a coming back and strengthening of position among the North American makes."
Old 05-19-2003, 11:10 AM
Safety Car

scary thing is i think i'm starting to like cadillac more than bmw, we'll see after the new sts comes out.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:20 AM
Moderator Alumnus

3 years from now, we wont believe Cadillac is the same company... Lots of exciting things are happening. BMW knows that Cadillac has the resources to hurt them unrecoverably. They know that now that most of GM's development money is going to cars, intead of trucks, BMW will face tough days ahead, first here in the USA market and later, even in their own turf.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:09 PM
Advanced

Cadillac needs new exclusive dealerships IMO.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
why would they be? If anything, the people who wanted to boycott German and French products can't even afford BMWs :P
Old 05-23-2003, 12:16 AM
Banned

Originally posted by fahoumh
why would they be? If anything, the people who wanted to boycott German and French products can't even afford BMWs :P
I bet your wrong.

I see no need boycotting German products. Most of the country supports us. It is just the extremeists that hate us their.

France is a different story, the frogs are ALL anti-american.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:29 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
money doesn't stop spending money, get it? Loyalty to the green, not to the red/white/blue.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:02 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Red Nj-s
I bet your wrong.

I see no need boycotting German products. Most of the country supports us. It is just the extremeists that hate us their.

France is a different story, the frogs are ALL anti-american.
I could be..but who knows for sure, right?

You could also be wrong about the French...have you even been to France?
Old 06-17-2003, 05:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Hidden rebates to BMW dealers (can you say they are robbing us?)

Financing rates:

325 Convertible and 2-door: 1.9% financing; 4-door: 2.9% financing

330 Convertible and 2-door: 1.9% financing; 4-door: 2.9% financing

525 excl. M5 1.9% financing

530 excl. M5 1.9% financing

540 excl. M5 1.9% financing

X5 excl. 4.6is 2.9% financing

Z4 2.9% financing

Hidden dealer rebate cash: You have to press them on this, they certainly won't volunteer this information to you.

325 325Ci and 325CiC: $2,500

330 330Ci and 330CiC: $3,000

525 525i: $3,500; 525iT: $4,000

530 530i: $4,000

540 540i and 540iT: $4,500

Most dealers we've talked to, are willing to share some of this money with customers, in order to clear out inventory.

So if they sell you a car at invoice (like a 530i) they are still making $4K plus their holdback money.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

FYI here is how much LESS agressive Mercedes is with the rebates:

2003 Mercedes-Benz Models

C-Class Wagon: $2,000 (excl. 4-matic)
M-Class ML: $2,000
SLK $2,000
Old 06-17-2003, 08:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
why didnt you tell me this before :o
Old 06-17-2003, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Hmm... The 330 equipted the way I want is about 42K. If after the rebate it's 39K, it starts looking alot better. I'm glad they didn't have the dealer incentives going on when I bought my CLS, as I might have bought a 330 instead
Old 06-18-2003, 12:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
why didnt you tell me this before :o
Sorry. I can only imagine how it feels to be robbed. Especially by a BMW dealer. I hate them.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:48 AM
Senior Moderator

its not like i paid sticker... but those interest rates would have been nice to get!!!!
Old 07-07-2003, 10:41 AM
Moderator Alumnus

BMW Losing More Ground than Mercedes

Reuters
BMW Losing More Ground than Mercedes
Monday July 7, 9:51 am ET
By Nick Tattersall

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Germany's BMW saw sales of its core luxury brand cars slip more sharply than those of key rival Mercedes in the first six months of the year, although demand for its iconic Mini continued to soar.
ADVERTISEMENT

BMW said on Monday it had delivered 454,970 of its luxury cars to customers in the first half, 5.5 percent fewer than by this stage a year ago due largely to a drop in demand for its 5-series saloon, currently being replaced by an updated model.

The company is hoping its new 5-series, which will be available in all markets by the autumn, will boost sales in the second half of the year and said it still aimed to sell more than the 1.057 million vehicles it shifted in 2002.

Sales of the Mini, an updated version of the 1960s British cult classic, rose 44 percent to 89,880 units in the first half, meaning that the BMW Group's unit sales were slightly above last year at 544,850 cars.

Meanwhile, Mercedes, the luxury unit of DaimlerChrysler, said it had sold 548,500 passenger cars by the end of June, a decline of around two percent from a year ago, while sales of its small Smart cars also fell, meaning the group as a whole sold 609,100 cars, also down around two percent.

In June alone BMW brand sales slipped 0.6 percent to 81,720 units, after falls of 7.2 percent in April and 3.5 percent in May, which the company said meant it was on target for the full year.

Michael Ganal, BMW board member responsible for sales and marketing, told Reuters in an interview last week that sales of its core luxury brand models had continued to recover in June despite a continued weak European market.

BMW shares were up 0.8 percent at 35.05 euros by 1231 GMT, while DaimlerChrysler stock was up 2.3 percent at 32.16 euros. The DJ European autos index was 1.8 percent higher.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everyone's just waiting to see/drive the new 5 series.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:14 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
If bimmer wants to see sales return i have two suggestions

1) FIRE FUCKING CHRIS BANGLE, better yet assinate him

2) possibly get rid of idrive, the older crowd (most 7 series buyers) doesnt like it, and most arent a techno savy as us young uns.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by sarlacc23
If bimmer wants to see sales return i have two suggestions

1) FIRE FUCKING CHRIS BANGLE, better yet assinate him
Nah, they wouldn't need to assasinate him..."FIRE FUCKING" him should be enough...ouch...
Old 07-07-2003, 02:54 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally posted by AcuraFan
Nah, they wouldn't need to assasinate him..."FIRE FUCKING" him should be enough...ouch...
Yeah i saw i wrote that poorly, too lazy to fix it. Better yet, send bangle over to mercedes...
Old 07-07-2003, 02:59 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

ouch fire fucking....bad times...
Old 07-07-2003, 06:17 PM
Drifting

http://www.petitiononline.com/STOPCB/petition.html

do your part

bangle will single handedly bring the downfall of bmw
Old 07-07-2003, 07:03 PM
Safety Car

actually i hope they do get kicked down a couple notches, too arrogant. maybe after seeing the bottom they'll stop charging these premiums over other luxury brands.

if this new 5 doesn't go over well with customers, think infiniti and cadillac have a chance to suck the life out of that company if they continue on the path they're on now.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:39 PM
Banned

Originally posted by heyitsme
actually i hope they do get kicked down a couple notches, too arrogant. maybe after seeing the bottom they'll stop charging these premiums over other luxury brands.

if this new 5 doesn't go over well with customers, think infiniti and cadillac have a chance to suck the life out of that company if they continue on the path they're on now.
I certainly don't hope they get kicked down any notches. What kind of thinking is that? The only people that would get hurt from sumin like that are the workers.

What is wrong with a company being so good at making their product that they can charge more for it? This is capitalism, if you don't like it try China.

BTW, Cadillac will be the #1 US luxury brand in 10 years.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:15 AM
Safety Car

i never said companies can't charge want they want for their products, but premiums aren't good for consumers, me, maybe you like paying for labels. as the competition gets stronger in the luxury/sports segment, bmw is going to find it harder and harder to continue charging these prices for cars that don't perform better than their competition and no they aren't so good, its just that the competition has been so weak for so long.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:56 PM
Race Director

haha fire fucking
Old 08-06-2003, 01:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

BMW model year 2004 changes

7 Series

745i and 745Li
* Multi-Spoke alloy wheels (Style 94) will replace Double-Spoke alloy wheels (Style 93) as the standard wheel, combined with all-season tires. Also available with all-season run-flat tires (a no-charge option).
All 7 Series Models
* Adaptive headlights, which "steer" the headlights into roadway curves, available as an option.
* Sirius Satellite Radio will be available as an accessory.

6 Series

* An all-new 6 Series will be available in the Spring of 2004.

5 Series

* An all-new 5 Series Sedan will be available at the end of September.

3 Series

All 3 Series Models
* 6-Speed SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox) Transmission will be available on most rear-wheel-drive 3 Series, when combined with the Sport Package as of 10/03 production. It will not be available with all-wheel-drive or the 330i Performance Package.
* Rain-sensing windshield wipers and automatic headlight control will become standard features on the Sedan and Sports Wagon - no longer part of the Premium Package (already standard on Coupes and Convertibles).
* Sirius Satellite Radio is available as an accessory.
325i and 325i Sports Wagon
* 5-spoke alloy wheel (Style 119) replaces 7-spoke alloy wheel (Style 96) in the Sport Package
* Bluetooth wireless hands-free cellular phone system will be available as an accessory, but not in combination with BMW Assist.
325xi and 325xi Sports Wagon
* 5-spoke alloy wheel (Style 137) replaces 20-spoke alloy wheel (Style 73) in Sport Package
* Bluetooth wireless hands-free cellular phone system will be available as an accessory, but not in combination with BMW Assist.
330i and 330xi
* Black headlight surrounds and grill will replace titan silver.
* Lower grill will be a combination of body color and black.
* 5-spoke alloy wheel (Style 137) replaces 20-spoke alloy wheel (Style 73) in Sport Package
* 330i Performance Package will be available with the optional 5-speed STEPTRONIC automatic transmission including Sport and Manual shift modes (does not include 330xi).
325i and 330i - Coupe and Convertible (Available since March, 2003)
* Automatic headlight control standard (formerly optional with Premium Package)
* Revised front-end design
* Revised front and rear bumper contours
* Xenon headlights (low and high beams) now offered in combination with new Adaptive feature, which "steers" the headlights into roadway curves
* Revised taillight technology, incorporating BMW's innovative Adaptive Brakelights
* Revised wheel designs, both standard and optional
* Revised exterior colors
* Revised configuration climate-control panel

X5

All X5 Models
* X5 3.0i and X5 4.4i will receive an update, including exterior and styling changes, as well as a completely new all-wheel drive system (xDrive).
* Sirius Satellite Radio will be available as an accessory.
X5 3.0i
* 6 Speed Manual Transmission will become standard.
X5 4.4i
* 6-Speed Automatic Transmission will become standard.
* New 4.4L Engine with VALVETRONIC and Fully Variable Intake Manifold
X5 4.6is
* Will be discontinued

X3

* An all-new X3 Sports Activity Vehicle will be available in early 2004.

Z8 and BMW ALPINA ROADSTER V8

* The Z8 has reached the end of its production cycle and will no longer be produced.

Z4 roadster

* Sirius Satellite Radio will be available as an accessory as of 10/03 production.
* Rain-sensing windshield wipers will become a standard feature.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 08-08-2003, 07:19 PM
I love my G sedan

The 6 series looks like a fat whale, just like Z4.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
wonder why smg isnt offered in the performance package, but automatic is...
Old 09-07-2003, 03:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

BMW Frankfurt announcements

BMW World Debuts at the 2003 Frankfurt Motor Show Two New Model Series

Four New Models
Numerous Innovations
BMW is setting new highlights at the 2003 Frankfurt Motor Show with two new models being introduced.
As a dream car of the highest standard, the new 6 Series Coupé is continuing the tradition of BMW's luxury coupés. Both elegant and dynamic in one, the BMW 645 Ci may rightly claim, through its engine, its sporting driving characteristics, and generous space inside, to set a new benchmark in the luxury sports coupé segment.

The new BMW X3, in turn, represents the same kind of exceptional breakthrough: Very dynamic and versatile all in one, this new model extends the successful BMW X-family, combining the outstanding agility of a typical BMW with the broad scope of benefits offered by a Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV). And at the same time the X3 is the first premium SAV below the X5 to enter the market.

The New 6 Series Coupe The 6 Series Coupé is low, long and wide, a luxury coupé with a powerful aura of self-confidence: 4,820 millimetres or 189.8´´ in length, 1,855 millimetres or 73.0´´ in width, and just 1,373 millimetres or 54.1´´ in height - these are remarkable dimensions for a sports coupé offering ample space inside. And like on the 5 and 7 Series, all functions essential for motoring are accommodated either directly on the steering wheel or in its immediate vicinity. Highlights in the long list of sophisticated features are the audio system with a supreme standard of sound quality comparable to a home entertainment system as well as automatic air conditioning, both fitted as standard.
V8 Power Unit for Dynamic Motoring Pleasure The 4.4-litre V8 power unit with fully variable VALVETRONIC valve management already featured in the 745i guarantees dynamic power and performance with maximum output of 245 kW or 333 bhp. This gives the new 6 Series Coupé a top speed electronically limited to 250 km/h or 155 mph. And naturally the car reaches this speed with absolute ease, just as it accelerates smoothly and dynamically to 100km/h from a standstill in 5.6 seconds with its manual six-speed gearbox.

Body and Suspension in Intelligent Lightweight Technology To really experience and enjoy the 6 Series Coupé, however, you have to drive the car and savour its qualities on the road. Supreme driving comfort combined with equally supreme performance is the convincing result of intelligent lightweight technology borne out in particular by the innovative aluminium/steel/plastic construction of the body. The side panels at the front, for example, as well as the rear lid are made of plastic, the entire front section, the front lid and the doors are aluminium. And it almost goes without saying that the excellent chassis and suspension of the new 6 Series Coupé are made of light alloy supplemented by all relevant electronic control systems such as DSC Dynamic Stability Control including DTC Dynamic Traction Control.
The "intelligent" Dynamic Drive suspension control system almost completely compensating body sway in bends as well as BMW's unique Active Steering (more direct transmission ratio at lower speeds, more indirect ratio at higher speeds) are also available as an option.

The New BMW X3 BMW is enlarging the Sports Activity market segment by adding a new range - the X3 combining the agility of a compact BMW with the supreme driving experience of the X5. This brand-new and absolutely unique model series stands out from the start through its data alone: Measuring 4,565 millimetres or 179.7´´ in length, the X3 is 87 millimetres or 3.4´´ longer than the 3 Series Touring, but almost 300 millimetres or 11.8´´ shorter than the new 5 Series Saloon. And measuring 4,667 millimetres or 183.7´´ from bumper to bumper, the X5 is quite clearly the X3's bigger brother.
Six-cylinder power units, six-speed transmission, and the new, electronically controlled xDrive all-wheel-drive system interact to ensure superior dynamism on the road. A special driving feeling is also conveyed by the high seating position, the generous feeling of space, and the designer features in BMW's compact SAV.
This new BMW model series is entering the market in three model variants following one another - the X3 3.0i powered by a 170 kW (231 bhp) petrol engine, the X3 3.0d with a 150 kW (204 bhp) diesel, and the X3 2.5i with a 141 kW (192 bhp) petrol power unit.

Making its World Debut in the X3 and X5: The Intelligent xDrive All-Wheel-Drive System A particular highlight of the X3 also being introduced at the same time in the X5 is the all-new intelligent xDrive all-wheel-drive system setting new standards in the agility of all-wheel-drive vehicles. The 'heart' of this new system is the electronically controlled multiple-plate clutch enabling xDrive to spread out drive forces infinitely and fully variably between the front and rear axle. The system immediately recognises the need for a change in power distribution and responds extremely quickly, on the road usually before the wheel involved has even lost its grip. As a result, both the X3 and the X5 run like on rails even under adverse conditions, DSC stability control not being required to cut in until a far later point in time than with other drive concepts.

In practice, of course, this adds more active safety to more driving pleasure. And a further feature is that xDrive is combined with BMW's HDC Hill Descent Control, an intelligent downhill control system for steep gradients, as well as BMW's unique trailer stability control.

New Additions to the 5 Series: The 545i and 525i Saloons Shortly after the debut of the new BMW 5 Series in the guise of the 520i, 530i and 530d, BMW is enlarging the range through the introduction of the 545i featuring a V8 VALVETRONIC power unit and the BMW 525i with a 2.5-litre straight-six. Displacing 4.4 litres, the 245 kW/333 bhp aluminium 8-cylinder makes the BMW 545i the new benchmark in this class borne out by superior performance figures - 0 to 100 km/h in 5.8 seconds, top speed 250 km/h or 155 mph limited electronically - and sophisticated equipment of the highest standard, the occupants being pampered, inter alia, by leather upholstery, all-electrical seat adjustment for the driver and front passenger, as well as automatic air conditioning.

The 2.5-litre power unit in the BMW 525i featuring bi-VANOS and a resonance intake system rounds off the range of straight-six models within the 5 Series. Displacing 2,494 cc, the engine of the BMW 525i develops maximum output of 141 kW/192 bhp, this power being conveyed to the drive wheels, as on all models in the new 5 Series, by a six-speed manual gearbox. In its other features and equipment, this new model with its refined six-cylinder is largely identical to the 520i, 530i, and 530d.

Newcomer to the Z Roadster Range: The Z4 2.2i As of the 2003 Frankfurt Motor Show, the 'basic' model in the BMW Z4 Series is the Z4 2.2i. And this model designation alone tells the connoisseur the whole story. The power unit inside the beautifully designed front lid of BMW's open two-seater is the 2.2-litre straight-six so typical of the brand with its maximum output of 125 kW/170 bhp.

Famous the world over for its dynamic and refined qualities, especially in this muscular roadster, this superior power unit accelerates the Z4 to 100 km/h in just 7.7 seconds, giving the car a top speed of 225 km/h or 140 mph. And everything that lies between the process of setting off and reaching this maximum speed is experienced best and most enjoyably on winding country roads, where the next bend is indeed the best place to go.

A Newcomer in the 3 Series Coupe Range: The 320Cd Dynamic elegance on the road, common sense at the filling station - what might appear incompatible is reality in the 320Cd 3 Series Coupé. Developing maximum output of 150 bhp or 110 kW, the 2.0-litre four-cylinder ensures dynamic performance of the highest standard, but at the same time makes do with an extremely modest 5.7 litres of diesel on 100 kilometres equal to 49.6 mpg Imp. But this does not stop the new coupé from sprinting to 100 km/h in just 8.8 seconds, with the car's setting-off qualities being particularly dynamic.

Thanks to its sports-tuned suspension, ideal 50:50 axle load distribution and rear-wheel drive also ideal in such a case, as well as direct steering typical of BMW, the 320Cd is perfectly equipped to transmit the superior power of its engine dynamically but harmoniously to the road. And driving stability systems such as DSC make sure that the driver always remains in control even in difficult situations.

For Particular Demands: X5 Security and BMW Individual Introducing the X5 Security, BMW is offering the first Sports Activity Vehicle reliably protecting its occupants from hand-held weapons up to .44 Magnum calibre. The BMW X5 Security is therefore conceived specifically for markets where people may feel threatened and where the roads are relatively bad, an SAV thus offering significant benefits in terms of mobility.

BMW Individual is also making a clear statement at the Frankfurt Motor Show with new ideas and concepts. First, a 7 Series with maritime features shows how the world of yachting may be combined with a sophisticated car of the highest standard; second, a production-based show car version of the new 5 Series provides a clear idea of what the individualist may expect of BMW's new Saloon.

New Options: From the front-end camera all the way to solar-powered ventilation: As a unique option on vehicles with an on-board monitor BMW now offers a front-end camera providing an even broader view of the road and traffic ahead, as well as a rear-end camera for backing up safely and smoothly. And together with the introduction of Adaptive Headlights featuring swivelling bi-xenon headlights now also available on the 7 Series, BMW is also introducing new turning lights with additional reflectors in the headlight units for enhanced illumination ahead of and next to the car.

Solar-powered ventilation incorporating 24 solar cells and six ventilators in the glass sliding/vent roof offers an entirely new standard of fresh-air supply, providing highly effective compensation of temperatures inside the car.

Innovative technologies for enhanced customer benefits: Augmented Reality and Connected Drive are two particular applications of advanced electronics BMW is introducing to the benefit of the customer. Incorporating 'data glasses', Augmented Reality superimposes virtual objects and presentations on to the actual surroundings. A user wearing such data glasses, therefore, is able to see, say, the engine as such when carrying out repairs, while at the same time following virtually animated marks or instructions presented right in front of his eyes.

As part of the ConnectedDrive Project, BMW is presenting a new research vehicle opening up a further dimension in networking the driver, the car and its surroundings. The BMW 7 Series ConnectedDrive is able to communicate directly with other cars, thus warning the driver whenever necessary of local hazards. Another of its abilities is to synchronise personal data with a wide range of terminals the driver might use in his everyday activities.

The objective of BMW ConnectedDrive, therefore, is to ensure greater safety, greater efficiency and greater comfort on the road by networking the driver, the car and the surroundings.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:38 AM
Instructor

wow...
Old 09-17-2003, 02:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

BMW puts lid on U.S. capacity; after rapid growth, boss seeks stability

BMW puts lid on U.S. capacity; after rapid growth, boss seeks stability

By DALE JEWETT | Automotive News

Despite strong demand for its products, BMW AG won't expand its U.S. assembly plant for several years, the German automaker's head of manufacturing says.

The Spartanburg, S.C., plant needs a period of stability after rapid expansion over the past decade, says Norbert Reithofer, BMW's board of management member in charge of manufacturing.

That could spell a wait of as long as four years, since the Spartanburg plant has just started production of the updated X5 sport wagon for the 2004 model year. Spartanburg is BMW's sole worldwide source for the X5. The plant also builds the Z4 roadster, which began production last year.

Spartanburg's annual capacity has expanded from 60,000 when the plant opened in 1994 to 150,000 now. If BMW expands the plant, or adds another in the United States, it will be done in the Spartanburg area, Reithofer said in an interview.

The question of expansion will be an issue for BMW as the automaker's sales continue to grow. U.S. sales have risen from 131,559 in 1998 to 232,032 last year.

Part of BMW's strategy is to manufacture vehicles in markets where they play a significant role, said Reithofer, a former president of the Spartanburg plant.

Spartanburg builds the X5 because the United States is the vehicle's primary market. The updated 2004 version was revealed at the Frankfurt auto show.

The show also marked the debut of the X3, a smaller sport wagon to go on sale early next year. The United States is expected to be a leading market for the X3.

Because BMW's factories are running at capacity, the automaker has contracted with Magna Steyr to build the X3 in Graz, Austria. Otherwise BMW would have had to wait until late 2005 to build the X3 in its factories, Reithofer said.

The expected sales success of the X3 will give BMW another reason to consider a capacity expansion.

Meanwhile, BMW says it has no plans to build engines in the United States. Japanese automakers have built engine and transmission plants in North America to support their assembly plants.

BMW imports the inline six-cylinder and V-8 engines used in the Z4 and X5 from Germany.

"There are no actual plans on the table to build engines in the United States," Reithofer said. "Now, it is not possible to say it would never happen."

Reithofer also said BMW's build-to-order system, which permits customers to make changes to an ordered vehicle up to 10 days before the start of assembly, is generating 120,000 changes a month. Each vehicle could have multiple changes count toward that total.

The system, which depends on a bank of assembled and painted bodies, is good for BMW, Reithofer said, because when a customer makes changes, the goal is usually to add expensive options.

BMW also is using the system to encourage drivers of leased vehicles to stay with the automaker. Because BMW's financing arm knows when the lease expires, the financial services unit encourages lessees to order a new vehicle so that it arrives at the dealership close to the lease expiration date.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:56 PM

That is tremendous growth in 5 years for a luxury car company. Do they know how many people would buy BMWs if they worked?
Old 09-17-2003, 04:29 PM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Do they know how many people would buy BMWs if they worked?
Old 09-18-2003, 05:10 PM
GTP

BMW Is Getting Ridiclious

From what I've heard/read is that therer is going to be a total of 7 new lines of BMW's, and a total of 8 out there? There's the new 1 series, the current 3 series, the new 4 series, the 5 series, the new 6 series, the 7 series, and the 8 series. Just seems like a bit much for a whole line of cars that looks exactly the same, but then again that's what Mercedes did. Just my .02
Old 09-18-2003, 05:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Well, although BMW is truly growing, much of the above seems as expansion due to the change in denoting BMW models.

The 4 is not really a new line cos that's the 3 Series car today. The 5 series is nothing new either, same with the 7. Plus the 7 is not even re-introduced any time soon (facelifting is coming next year). Yes, the 6 is completely new (excluding the 6 series from the 80s) and the 8 series is not confirmed that it will actually be re-introduced (just talk for now). The 1 series will be completely new, unless one counts the BMW 2002 of the 70s and 80s. That car will be identical is size to the BMW 2002.

But you are right, that a lot of the above are new generation models. The next generation of the 3 series is coming out a year and a half from now. The 4 series will be introduced about 0.5-1 year after that. The 6 series just got introduced, so has the 5 series and the 7 series about a year ago.

I am concerned about BMW's reliability for the next 2-4 years due to so many new generations and intros of lines.

Quick Reply: BMW: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News