BMW: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by jim165
Damnit BMW, use some of that money and research effort to make your cars more reliable instead of introducing a new model and engine every 12 hours
Ill take what they are doing over the LACK of innovation that honda has shown.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Triturbo sounds :gheylaugh

I wouldn't mind having it in my TSX though...
Old 08-13-2010, 04:58 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I wish you didn't have to pay for urea.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Ill take what they are doing over the LACK of innovation that honda has shown.
You mean using the same engine for the past decade isnt considered innovation?
Old 08-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Old 08-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Silly me, what was i thinking
Old 09-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Post Update

BERLIN (Bloomberg) -- BMW AG, the world's largest maker of luxury vehicles, will expand the BMW and Mini model ranges to boost annual sales 55% over the next decade and fend off Volkswagen AG and Daimler AG.

A new factory and expansion of existing facilities may be needed to underpin growth in the long run, CEO Norbert Reithofer said.

BMW aims to sell more than 2 million vehicles by 2020 from 1.29 million last year.

“The big push in new models, entering new segments comes after 2012,” Reithofer said at the automaker's Munich headquarters. “If I look forward to 2020, then we have to think about additional capacity.”

BMW plans to widen the 6 series and Mini model lines as well as build a battery-powered car for city driving, the CEO said. The maker of BMW, Mini, and Rolls-Royce vehicles is fighting to protect its turf from Volkswagen, the owner of Lamborghini, Bentley and Audi, as it merges with Porsche Automobil Holding SE.

Audi has vowed to topple BMW as the luxury leader by 2015. BMW claimed the top spot from Daimler's Mercedes-Benz in 2005.

“If you're not on the attack, there's the risk of ending up on the defensive,” said Juergen Pieper, a Frankfurt-based analyst with Bankhaus Metzler. “BMW has the right mix of caution and controlled offense to meet its targets.”

Model offensive

Reithofer, 54, intends to add a 4-door version of the 6-series luxury coupe after the rollout of the new 2-door model next year.

He also plans to introduce new front-wheel-drive technology to the BMW brand, ending the nameplate's exclusive association with rear-wheel powertrains, as the automaker expands its compact vehicle offerings.

“We have plenty of different ideas on how to win new customers”
with fresh small-car models, Reithofer said.

The executive, who took over as CEO in September 2006 after overseeing production for 6 years, has 1 year left on his current contract. An avid skier and mountain biker, the executive has eliminated jobs and set a target to cut more than 4 billion euros from purchasing outlays to boost auto profits.

He also pushed BMW to develop fuel-saving technology and initiated an electric-car program. The battery-powered so-called Megacity Vehicle, which is due to be introduced in 2013 under a new BMW sub-brand, could eventually become a vehicle family, he said.

Mini brand to expand

The Mini brand will be a focus of expansion with at least 3 new models in the works. Roadster and coupe versions of the trendy British marque are due within the next 2 years, while the Countryman, Mini's 1st 4-door vehicle, hits European showrooms later this month.

“We have to grow Mini” to expand volumes of front-wheel-drive cars and secure the brand's future, Reithofer said in an interview Sept. 3, adding that Mini's sales of 217,000 vehicles last year are “too low.”

Audi is introducing a dozen models in 2010, including the 5-door A7 Sportback and A1, its smallest car, as the automaker increases the lineup to 42 vehicles by 2015 from 34 in 2009.

Mercedes will premiere a revamped CLS sports coupe this month and plans to double its offering of compact cars with the help of France's Renault SA. The Stuttgart-based automaker is also working to build electric cars for China with BYD Co., the automaker backed by billionaire Warren Buffett.

China, U.S. capacity boost

BMW is using 90% of the capacity of its European plants, putting it ahead of all other automakers in the region, according to IHS Automotive. Volkswagen's European factories are running at 77% and Daimler at 73%, IHS said.

Boosted by the demand for current models, BMW last month raised its 2010 sales forecast by 100,000 vehicles to at least 1.4 million. Mercedes is targeting “double-digit” sales growth in 2010 from last year's 1.09 million cars and SUVs, while Audi is aiming for record sales this year of more than 1.08 million.

The new 5 series is sold out, and orders take 2 to 3 months to fill, Reithofer said. BMW is adding a 3rd shift to the bodyshop of its Leipzig factory to meet demand for the X1 compact SUV, he said.

The manufacturer is already gearing up for more growth and is investing about $1.5 billion to boost capacity at plants in the United States and China. There may be further expansion.

“Looking at 2020 and beyond, I could possibly imagine building a new plant” as well as expanding existing facilities in India, Russia, and Thailand, which assemble vehicles from components produced at other factories, Reithofer said.

Sharing parts

The production capacity of BMW's own factories is augmented by Magna International Inc.'s Austrian unit Magna Steyr, which currently builds the Mini Countryman for the German carmaker, Reithofer said.

The automaker, which has been increasing the number of parts shared between different models to cut costs, is working on standardizing components and technology in its diesel and gasoline engines. It is open to selling its smaller engines to 3rd parties to realize additional savings.

“We're also open to sharing our engine tool-kit system with a potential partner, but at the lower end rather than the six cylinders,” Reithofer said.

BMW and PSA/Peugeot-Citroen agreed in February to develop new 4-cylinder gasoline engines that will be used in the Mini beyond 2015, continuing an existing partnership.

The luxury carmaker is wary of putting too much weight on growth in China, where the economy has shown signs of cooling. The company's sales plans in China are based on growth rates below the current level, Reithofer said.

BMW's sales in July jumped 82% in China, which has become the automaker's 3rd-biggest market after the United States and Germany. U.S. sales rose 10% in July, as the company claws back from the 25% drop suffered during the financial crisis.

“We need a balanced relationship”
in terms of growth, Reithofer said. “The U.S. is a very key market."
Old 09-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Not a fan of FWD BMWs. They need to keep that with Mini.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Autocar

BMW has established a website with the express purpose of revealing a prototype being used to test a new petrol-electric driveline earmarked for a future sports car.

The website dontblogabouthis.com reveals the car expected to be launched in 2012 as part of BMW's EfficientDynamics program.

Featuring two short videos and four photographs of a 6-series based prototype, the website provides no additional written information about the prototype other than suggesting the car in question is “more than a 6-series” and “not in its final stage”.

Close inspection reveals the matt black BMW mule features a new front end resembling that of the one-off EfficientDynamics concept revealed at last year’s Frankfurt motor show.

Other obvious changes include widened tracks and skinny low rolling resistance tyres on aerodynamically optimised wheels.

Insiders at BMW’s headquarters in Munich have confirmed to Autocar that plans to create a prototype featuring a similar driveline to that showcased in the EfficientDynamics concept have been progressing for some time. “We’ve revealed our vision. Now we want to put it into practice,” said one source.

However, they stop short of confirming the 6-series based prototype featured in the German car maker’s latest viral marketing initiative is that car.

The video footage of the new BMW reveals it to be at least partly electrically powered, with no obvious engine noise as it accelerates away from standstill. A single tailpipe at the rear also suggests it houses a conventional engine as part of a petrol-electric driveline layout.

The four-wheel drive EfficientDynamics concept uses two electric motors – one acting on the front axle with 60kW, the other housed in a six-speed double clutch transmission with 38kW. The electric motors are powered by energy stored a battery pack consisting of of 98 individual cells that are charged in part by a 1.5-litre three-cylinder engine with 120kW.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Old 09-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Cant wait for the Paris show.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
A Tesla competitor using the Volt idea?
Old 09-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Review - N54 335is vs N55 335i Dyno Shootout

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...est/index.html

REVIEWS:
Dyno Test: BMW 335i and 335is

A few years ago, we were among the first to get a brand-new BMW 335i on the dynamometer. We don't often dyno cars, but we couldn't resist. Before the first 335i was delivered to a paying customer, the rumor mills were bubbling about the 335i's twin-turbo straight-six being underrated.

It turns out those rumors may have been right. The 2007 BMW 335i's N54 twin-turbo six is rated by its manufacturer at 300 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque. And when we put the first 335i coupe on the rollers, it laid down a very impressive 275 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque. In awful conditions, too: 92 degrees of humid, Fahrenheit heat.

Remember -- the power measured at the 335i's rear wheels should be lower than the engine's rated power. Some of the engine's output is lost to friction in the transmission, driveshaft, differential, axles, wheel bearings, and tires. The dynamometer we used to measure the 335i's output is a DynoJet model, and DynoJets tend to read higher than other dynos, but the output was a good bit higher than we expected.

So a few weeks later, when a second 335i coupe came to our office, I dragged it right to the dyno shop to find out whether that first car's output had been an anomaly. It wasn't. The second car put down an equally impressive 282 hp and 285 lb-ft.

One thing to remember-always, when looking at dyno numbers-is that the peak numbers tell only part of the story. Even though these two motors had slightly different peak outputs, their curves looked largely the same. So the difference between the two is easily merely just normal variation from engine to engine.

That the N54 is a consistent engine in testing was highlighted three years later when I tested a 135i coupe on the dyno. That engine's output was right in that same brawny ballpark: 276 hp and 285 lb-ft of torque.

The 135i used a later version of the N54 that includes a slightly different wastegate design. The only real difference between it and the earlier cars was the turbo's response at low revs (look at the torque curve at the beginning of the test to see the late N54 produce more torque, earlier.)

Another important thing to note is that we chose to publish each engine's LOWEST output to ensure we didn't publish a nonrepeatable number. The first N54's actual power peaks were 276, 276, 280, and 283 hp. The second's were 285, 282, and 287 hp. The third's were 276 and 277 hp. Such minimal variation from run to run shows that the N54 is a very consistent engine in addition to being a very powerful one.

So it's no wonder we jumped at the opportunity to be the first to publish dyno results for a manual-transmission 2011 335i coupe. (We've seen dyno results for a 335i with a twin-clutch transmission, but for a true apples-to-apples comparison, we wanted a car with the same transmission. The DCT could experience greater loss due to its hydraulic pump and different gear ratios.)

The new engine, the N55, is different from the N54 in that it uses only one larger turbocharger in place of the N54's two smaller turbos. To keep lag to a minimum, BMW used a twin-scroll turbo and its Valvetronic throttle-less, variable-valve-lift system. On the street, after driving N54 and N55 cars back to back, it's definitely safe to say that the N55 suffers from even less turbo lag than the N54 did. And that engine set the benchmark.

BMW's quoted output for the N55 remains 300 hp and 300 lb-ft, which raises a question: what if the N55 actually does only make 300 hp? And, given the simultaneous appearance of a 335is (which uses an even more potent, 320-hp version of the N54) we couldn't help but wonder: what if the 335is didn't actually make any more power than the old, underrated 335i?

There's only one way to find out, right? Call the dyno shop.

To answer the questions quickly: BMW isn't hiding anything. The 335is put down 293 hp and 343 lb-ft, beating every previous N54 we've tested by a big margin. And if you look at the torque curve, the midrange overboost function BMW promised (rated at 369 lb-ft) is definitely alive and well. The 335is engine is, like the original N54, probably still underrated.

And now to the N55: well, it doesn't, in fact, make as much power as the others N54s we've tested, but it does make slightly more torque. Peak numbers were 266 hp and 302 lb-ft. Before you start typing your "N55 sucks!" forum posts, let's remember that while the N55 put down 10 less horses than two of the N54s, a third N54 produced 10 more horsepower than the others. Meaning: 10 hp is within the noise when you're at this power level -- it's a variation of less than 4%. And you can easily see 4% variance between runs on the same engine.

(Case in point, while the N54 is a supremely consistent engine on the dyno -- especially for a turbocharged engine -- the variation between the best run and the weakest run on the three N54s we tested ranged from 1.0 to 2.6 percent. That's between runs done on the same dyno, on the same day, with the same exact car, in the same conditions. These engines were tested on four different cars in two different states in temperatures ranging by 30'F over four years and three of them were within 4%. Okay?)

[Obviously, the N54 "is" engine is vastly more powerful in the midrange and slightly more so up top.]

In fact, the only real difference between the regular N54s and their successor, the N55, is that the N55's output drops off more as it approaches its maximum speed. This isn't a surprise-the N55 has only one turbo with which to force-feed the engine with air. To keep turbo lag at a minimum, BMW likely used the smallest turbocharger possible that could achieve the (modest) boost levels that the N55 runs on. A slightly larger turbo might have increased high-rpm boost (and thus, power) slightly, but it'd come at the expense of greater lag. And besides, we're talking about an engine that over-delivered to begin with.

And remember, only a fool looks at peak numbers. It's the shape of the curve -- and the area under it -- that really determines how fast a car is and how fast it feels in everyday driving. Looking at the graphs, it's immediately clear that there's not much of a difference between the regular N54s and the N55.

The end result? We can finally and directly compare an early N54, late N54, high-output N54, and an N55. The N55 exhibits less turbo lag in normal street driving, and even though its peak output was near the bottom of the group of engines we've tested, it's still well within its rated peak horsepower output -- and well above its rated peak torque output. Let the N54 vs N55 war continue!

Old 09-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Race Director

So then why go to 3 turbos?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Maybe time to edit the title of this thread since its kinda big news.

Inside source.

Originally Posted by scott26
Many people try to comprehend what kind of concept this is?
They keep coming up with the wrong conclusion.

It is not a car that has competition, there never has been a car like this.
This is pure BMW which means it does not play catch up because others have high performance concepts BMW have no interest in.

It's a full working prototype using all of it's intended technology. battery power , 3 cylinder diesel etc...

- The car goes and stops like it was promised it would over a year ago.

It is no longer a Vision... This is reality. Welcome to Tomorrow.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Senior Moderator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbqsXfXduxs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To3k2aXDCYs
Old 09-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Oh fuck you, BMW ... Show us the goddamn car already
Old 09-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Should be close to the vision concept they showed few months ago.

Not exactly sure why its so hush hush now.

Old vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLGygbCr3sg
Old 09-23-2010, 07:05 AM
Race Director

It is not a car that has competition, there never has been a car like this.
How is the basic concept different than the Volt (i.e. some EV-only range and then extended by an internal combustion engine powered generator)?

Marketeers.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Aren't those headlights taken from the Camaro?
Old 09-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
i think BMW needs to do something with their halos. the circular LED look could be done with simple halogen lighting, as it formerly was...they should become more creative for a fresher headlight look.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
i think BMW needs to do something with their halos. the circular LED look could be done with simple halogen lighting, as it formerly was...they should become more creative for a fresher headlight look.

like LED lights the audi's have?
Old 09-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
BMW: iPad Integration

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/30/b...nvinces-us-to/

BMW shows off first 'official' iPad integration, convinces us to go aftermarket

Look, BMW -- we appreciate that you were the first automaker to provide seamless iPod integration way back when, but seriously, did anyone on the design squad look at this abomination before shipping it off to France? As the story goes, the aforesaid automaker has demonstrated the first "official" iPad-vehicle integration setup at this year's Paris Auto Show, and to be frank, it's heinous. The idea here is to provide world-class rear-seat entertainment, while apparently destroying aesthetics in one fell swoop. It's just about too hideous to be true, but the iconic "BMW" logo on the mounting brackets all but confirms the authenticity. Perhaps you folks should consult with any number of the skilled DIYers out there before shooting for the stars with version 2.0?
Pictures at source link.
Source: Engadjet
Old 09-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts

This thing is definitely an eye sore.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:43 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Thats horrible.

Even I could have done a much better job.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
And why did they put it in a 1 series convertible? They should've put it in a bigger car.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
This is a good example of an automobile company rushing to market, strictly to be the first to do something, but with poor execution.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:24 PM
I love me some Curry...!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Is that a iphone in the front as GPS.....?
Old 09-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,653 Likes on 13,892 Posts
Why would a world-class company like BMW want to integrate a second-rate oversized iPod...?
Old 10-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wassystyle
Is that a iphone in the front as GPS.....?
Phone, nav, iPod and web all integrated in 1 controller. Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewC7S...ayer_embedded#!
Old 10-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Old 10-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Race Director

This is the same company that until mid 2000s was still installing an in car phone option. Memo to car makers - don't integrate something that has a 2 year lifespan into a car that has a 20 year lifespan.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW: Unintended Deceleration

Class action suit alleges BMW N54 turbo engine unsafe, causes Unintended Deceleration

The lawsuit, initiated by the legal firm of Kershaw, Cutter and Ratinoff, LLC of California alleges that BMW produced an engine which suffers from serious defects. The aforementioned fuel pump is evidently prone to failure, and when they go south, the car loses power and goes into 'limp mode' since it can't drink gasoline. Such failures could have serious safety ramifications depending on when and where the pump packs up. According to Autoblog sister site Daily Finance, this isn't the first lawsuit regarding N54 problems.

According to the law firm, the problem with the turbochargers is that defective examples cannot run at full capacity, resulting in strange noises underhood and noticeable throttle lag. BMW had initiated a software update, which made it so the turbochargers were "fixed," but apparently all they did was stop the turbos from being allowed to run at full tilt. This, in turn, resulted in a loss of power and noticeable lag, one of the very issues the N54's architecture was designed to eliminate.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/12/c...afe-causes-un/
Old 10-13-2010, 01:22 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing that looks better on a lawyer than one Doberman is two Dobermans.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Yea, because this warrants a lawsuit If you dont like the car SELL The F'ing car. Dont sue over it
Old 10-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
So the next sucker can get some junk...People spend good money on cars/products/services..Some manufactures/companies need to held accountable for producing junk...
Old 10-13-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Yea, because this warrants a lawsuit If you dont like the car SELL The F'ing car. Dont sue over it
From the link:
and the suit is looking to legally compel BMW into a recall.
What's wrong with that? Seems like they just want the problem fixed, which is what I would want. A warranty extension is fine (if you don't mind bringing the car in whenever it breaks and you don't mind the fix sopping power) but does it transfer to the next owner? This will obviously affect the resale value of the car if it's not actually *fixed* and especially if the next guy doesn't get the extra warranty.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Merged.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
BMW should have fixed the HPFP issues years ago instead of all the "band-aid" fixes they've offered. If this forces them to properly re-engineer the fuel pump then I say bravo for the lawsuit....
Old 10-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Goes to show, not all manufacturers are bulletproof.

Well, except Pagani and Aston Martin.

Quick Reply: BMW: Development and Technology News