Old 10-06-2008, 11:19 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I don't like it.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:12 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
MT First Look

Despite the numerous advantages of a small compact car, luxury is seldom listed as a key attribute. Think of the typical city runabout and words like practical, economical, efficient, and spartan are likely to place in the first four spots of your word association test. But Audi wants to change all that with its brand new 2011 Audi A1 -- a car Audi says combines a fun-to-drive nature with the conveniences of a technology-geek's living room, all while being easy on the gas card and practical enough for daily use. The A1 is the car that Audi believes will become the world's defining premium subcompact automobile.

Dimensionally, the Audi A1 is small. At 155.5 in. long, 68.5 in. wide, and 55.9 in. tall, the A1 could only be classified as a subcompact vehicle and indeed is just shorter in length and height than a Mini Cooper. To keep ride quality and handling standards high, the wheelbase is 97.2 in. (also shorter than the Mini), mandating relatively short overhangs front and rear. Despite its diminutive size, Audi has fit four seats to the two-door hatch, and the rear seats can be folded down to offer 32.5 cubic-feet of cargo space. Audi has fine-tuned the A1's weight distribution so that depending on engine choice, just 61- to 63-percent of the car's heft is up front. A space-saving MacPherson setup is found up front with lower triangular wishbones. At the rear, a torsion beam axle is found with separate springs and dampers. Further, an electronic differential lock is fitted to the A1 in a further effort to neutralize handling, reduce understeer and increase traction.

The A1's design could only belong to an Audi. With its low-reaching grille, taut body lines and angular headlights, it certainly hints at aggression. Twin air intakes at the lower corners of the front fascia also serve to house optional circular fog lamps and the familiar strip of optional LED daytime running lights can be found in each of the headlight housings (non-LED daytime lights come standard). Special attention was given to how the A1's hood meets its front fenders, and the effect is similar to that of the TT sports coupe, culminating in what Audi refers to as the 'tornado line' that runs back through the doors and rear fenders. Out back, LED taillights are also included with the Xenon light option, while a black diffuser lowers the rear end visually, and sits beside either a single- or twin-outlet exhaust system, depending on engine grade.

The Audi A1's lines aren't just for looks, though. Ingolstadt engineers claim a coefficient of drag of just 0.32 - the result of extensive aerodynamic testing in Audi's Wind Tunnel Center. The A1's rear spoiler, specially designed underbody, and even the wheels were all designed to work together to achieve its slippery profile. The body itself has been built to reduce weight as much as possible while still providing exceptionally high rigidity. High- and ultra-high strength steel abounds and engineers were able to provide appropriate torsional stability with a body weight of just 487 pounds. Indeed, Audi claims an overall curb weight for the base model A1 of just 2304 pounds - the lowest in its class, says Audi.

Open a door, step inside and the interior is impossible to mistake for anything but Audi. The sloping black dashboard is fitted with typical circular air vents -- Audi claims inspiration from the turbine engines of a jet aircraft -- and soft touch black plastic surfaces meet aluminum knobs and dials. It's inside the A1 that Audi says some of its greatest innovations are located -- innovations that include an optional all-LED interior lighting package. The package replaces conventional bulbs in every element of the A1's cabin, including reading lights, footwell lights, and ambient door and roof lighting. Also optional is an on-board monitor that which tells occupants at a glance how much fuel systems such as the climate control or rear window defogger are using.

A three-spoke sport steering wheel is standard, and three levels of infotainment are offered, ranging from a four-speaker CD/radio base trim, up to Audi's MMI navigation system with a retractable 6.5-inch display, Audi's on-board monitor, a 60 GB hard drive, Bluetooth connectivity, intelligent voice control and an optional Bose 14-speaker surround-sound stereo with a 10-channel, 465-watt amplifier. The system is also capable of displaying album art in the audio function, as well as displaying a 3-D map when used for navigation.

Four engines are available at launch, each one of them both direct-injected and turbocharged. Two 1.6-liter TDI diesel motors make the cut, one with 90 horsepower and 169 pound-feet of torque, the other, a 16-valve version with 105 horsepower and 184 pound-feet. Both come standard with a conventional five-speed manual gearbox. Respectively, acceleration to 62 mph rings in at 12.2 seconds and 10.8 seconds. Fuel economy, according to Audi, is as high as 62 mpg and 60 mpg in the European cycle for the lower and higher output diesel motors, respectively.

If diesels aren't your thing, two gasoline engines are also offered: a 1.2-liter TSFI that produces 86 horsepower and 118 pound-feet of torque, and a 1.4-liter TSFI with 122 horsepower and a healthy 148 pound-feet. The standard 1.2-liter engine comes mated to a five sped manual gearbox and hits 62 mph in 12.1 seconds on to a top speed of 111 mph - nearly identical to the less powerful diesel offering. The 1.4-liter does slightly better, churning out a 9.2-second 0 to 62 mph sprint and hitting a top speed of 124 mph. Add the trick seven-speed S-tronic dry dual-clutch gearbox to the equation and you'll knock one-tenth of a second off that 62 mph acceleration run. Fuel economy is 46 mpg for the 1.2-liter mill, 43 and 46 mpg for the 1.4-liter in the European cycle with dual-clutch and manual gearboxes, respectively. Fuel economy is also helped by Audi's use of both regenerative braking and start-stop technology in conjunction with all four engine options.

When the Audi A1 hits European showrooms this summer, it will have two basic trim levels, called Attraction and Ambition. The Attraction package includes such features as central locking, power mirrors and windows, the Chorus radio package, and standard safety equipment incorporating twin front airbags, two side airbags, and two head airbags. The Ambition package adds fog lamps, 16-inch wheels, aluminum-look trim, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, sports seats, and the driver information system. The S line sport package, including firmer suspension tuning and 17- or 18-inch wheels is available optionally with the Ambition package.

European customers can expect pricing to start around 16,000 Euros for a base-level A1. At current conversion rates, that's just over $22,000 -- making it too expensive to sell in the U.S., according to Audi. The German automaker has repeatedly insisted that the demand for a premium subcompact car in America is too weak and that the A1 prices itself out of what little city car market there is in the U.S. Now that the A1 is finally production-ready and most of our questions about the premium subcompact have been answered, one big question still remains: Is Audi right?
http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows..._a1/index.html
Old 02-10-2010, 09:16 AM

Old 02-10-2010, 09:20 AM

Not a fan of the two-tone roof line, but the TDI numbers are pretty impressive. Nevermind, I'm not a European.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:19 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Dumbed down from the concept.....not feeling it anymore.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:31 AM
07TL-CBP

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bait and switch. Now, it's just ok. Also, not feeling the center console thing.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:29 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
dumbed down. i was ready to stick my dick in the tailpipe until i saw this
Old 02-10-2010, 11:37 AM

You have a U-shaped penis?
Old 02-10-2010, 12:07 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
Wow... it went from edgy and sporty to blunt and boring.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:20 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
meh.

with the new A8 and this....suddenly not liking audi's styling/renderings.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:57 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MINI competitor I guess?
Old 02-11-2010, 03:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
don't like too,
but this car will be a huge success in Europe... 100%
Audi and VW are not missing a shot.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:26 AM

no doubt it will be a success in europe.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
...the fuck happened...
Old 02-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
meh.

Originally Posted by TMQ
MINI competitor I guess?
Old 02-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I guess it's Audi's turn to present their line-up of ugly cars.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
meh.

Don't what you like in a car, but the interior of the new A8 is simply stunning.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
so you have to pop the nav scren just to change the radio?

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 02-12-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:10 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by krio
Don't what you like in a car, but the interior of the new A8 is simply stunning.
interior is great...exterior of the A8...not so much.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
so you have to pop the nav scren just to change the radio?

It's just hard to see the radio controls because those big ridiculous circle air vents are quite a distraction.

The more I look at those, the more I ask....why?

They are as big as the gauges.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997

It's just hard to see the radio controls because those big ridiculous circle air vents are quite a distraction.

The more I look at those, the more I ask....why?

They are as big as the gauges.
They have some precedents:

That's the Mk1 TT ... The Mk2 has them too. Not saying you're wrong. Just that they aren't out of left field.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:06 PM

^ Ya....sorry. Wasn't trying to imply that they were new. I remember seeing them in the TT RS interior. It was more of a rhetorical "why".

Nonetheless, the vents in the TT don't seem a bit more subdued. Maybe because of that chrome bezel around them, or the buttons directly below. I think I could have dealt with it easier if the vents in the A1 looked like that.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,802 Likes on 13,984 Posts
2010 Audi A1 e-tron

Press release...

The new e-tron model series from Audi will gain another new member at the Geneva Motor Show: The Audi A1 e-tron is a Mega City Vehicle (MCV) with an innovative drive technology. It comes equipped with a powerful electric motor for zero-emission driving in the city. There is also an internal combustion engine on board that recharges the battery in exceptional circumstances. The A1 e-tron is very agile thanks to the 75 kW (102 hp) peak power of its electric motor.

The technology of the Audi A1 e-tron

The e-tron model family from Audi is just a few months old, but it already has a number of members, for each of which Audi has chosen a different drive technology. The first e-tron, which debuted at the 2009 IAA in Frankfurt/Main, is a near-series high-performance sports car with electric motors for all four wheels. The study shown at the Detroit Motor Show in 2010 is a lightweight, compact two-seater with two electric motors on the rear axle.

The A1 e-tron now presents another approach – a compact electric car in the premium class. The four-passenger, two-door MCV city car was designed specifically for use in the metropolitan areas of Europe and North America and in the rapidly growing megacities of Asia and South America. The Audi A1 e-tron always drives on electric power; its internal combustion engine is only used to recharge the battery in isolated cases.

The integration of the new technologies shows the holistic approach that Audi is pursuing with electric mobility. The objective is to use the energy with the lowest possible losses. The precise interaction of the components, their intelligent packaging, and the efficient management of the current flows are the product of the expertise that the company has developed in this area.

Audi has developed a proprietary thermal management system to keep the battery, the electric motor, and the power electronics within their respective ideal temperature windows.

Behind the three e-tron models is a broadly diverse and modular technology platform that continues to grow very rapidly as Audi drives development forward.

The electric motor: 75 kW (102 hp) peak power

The synchronous electric motor of the Audi A1 e-tron is mounted transversely at the front of the car. Its low mounting position has a positive effect on the vehicle’s center of gravity. Continuous output is rated at 45 kW (61 hp), with peak power of 75 kW (102 hp) available in short bursts. 150 Nm (110.63 lb-ft) of torque is continuously available, and peak torque is 240 Nm (177.01 lb-ft).

The electric motor sends its power to the front wheels via a single-speed transmission. The elegant, retractable selector lever on the console of the center tunnel used to choose between “Drive,” “Reverse,” and “Neutral” was taken from the first Audi e-tron.

The power electronics are mounted in the engine compartment above the electric motor. The most important components are the pulse-controlled inverter, which serves as the controller between the electric motor and the battery; the DC converter, which connects the high-voltage network with the 14 volt electrical system; a breaker unit to protect the high-voltage components; and the charging module. The socket for the standard charging plug is located behind the rings in the single-frame grille of the Audi A1 e-tron. A fully depleted battery can be recharged in approximately three hours from the 380 volt grid. A display immediately adjacent to the plug-in connection shows the current charge status and the charging time remaining.

The concept of the innovative Mega City Vehicle requires the electrification of key auxiliaries. The refrigerant compressor of the climate control system, for example, is electrically powered by a high-voltage electric motor that supplies only the amount of power needed at the time.

This increases system efficiency substantially compared to conventional concepts. Thanks to a special circuit, the climate control loop also functions as a heat pump that regulates the temperature of the cabin and the battery.

The power steering of the Audi A1 e-tron is electro-mechanical and thus particularly energy-efficient. An electronic brake system makes it possible to tap into the recuperation potential of the electric motors. A hydraulic fixed-caliper brake is mounted on the front axle, with two novel electrically-actuated floating-caliper brakes mounted on the rear axle. These floating calipers are actuated not by any mechanical or hydraulic transfer elements, but rather by wire (“brake by wire”). In addition, this eliminates frictional losses due to residual slip when the brakes are not being applied. In addition, the servo unit received a new, demand-controlled electric vacuum pump.

The large electric motor powering the A1 e-tron can convert braking energy into electric current and feed it back into the electrical system. The high degree of recuperation benefits overall efficiency. The electric control actions are imperceptible to the driver, who notices only the familiar, precise, and perfectly controllable pedal feel.

The battery pack: a compact T arranged below the floor

The energy storage unit is arranged below the floor, where it is ideal for the center of gravity and weight distribution. The battery pack is shaped like a T, with the short “transverse beam” filling the rear section of the center tunnel and the “cross-beam” filling that area in front of the rear axle where the fuel tank is otherwise located. The 380 volt lithium-ion rechargeable battery has a nominal energy content of 12 kilowatt hours. It comprises 96 prismatic cells and weighs less than 150 kilograms (330.69 lb).

The Audi A1 e-tron can drive 50 kilometers (31.07 miles) emission-free in city traffic on the powerful battery. On longer trips, the battery is recharged by a particularly compact internal combustion engine mounted below the luggage compartment.

The range extender

The A1 e-tron concept car has a Wankel engine as a range extender, but other compact concepts are also possible. The small single-rotor Wankel has a chamber volume of 254 cc and runs at a constant 5,000 rpm in its peak efficiency window. The electronics also consider navigation data such as the destination and route profile to automatically activate the range extender as needed. The driver can also turn the range extender on and off as necessary with the push of a button The fuel tank holds 12 liters (3.17 US gallons).

The great strengths of the Wankel engine are the nearly vibration-free and quiet operation, the small dimensions, and the extremely low weight. Together with the generator, which is powered by the Wankel engine and produces 15 kW of electric power, the complete assembly weighs only around 70 kilograms (154.32 lb). This weight also includes the special power electronics, the intake, exhaust, and cooling unit, plus the insulation and the subframe.

Driving experience

The first defining impression that the driver of the Audi A1 e-tron gets is that of nearly total silence. Even the Wankel engine in the back can barely be heard when it is running.

The second characteristic perception is the power of the electric motor, nearly all of which is available instantly and thrusts the Audi A1 e-tron forward with authority. The innovative Mega City Vehicle, which despite its complex drive technology weighs only 1,190 kilograms (2,623.50 lb) delivers zero-emission driving fun in a modern and sophisticated manner. The vehicle accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h (62.14 mph) in 10.2 seconds and has a top speed of more than 130 km/h (80.78 mph).

The Audi A1 e-tron can also cover longer distances if the range extender charges the battery. The extra range, which is intended primarily for interurban driving, is 200 kilometers (124.27 miles).

According to the draft standard, the two different operating modes yield a fuel consumption of only 1.9 l/100 km (123.80 US mpg), which corresponds to CO2 emissions of 45 g/km (72.42 g/mile). In electric mode, there are zero local CO2 emissions - the compact A1 e-tron is thus ecological and economical.

The third impression that the A1 e-tron makes is that of a larger car. The compact two-door boasts all of the strengths of the new A1 model series – the carefully tuned, sporty chassis with specially designed 18 inch alloy wheels and 215/35 R18 tires; the generous, “grown-up” interior; the excellent fit and finish; and a multitude of high-end equipment.

The dark shade “ebony” dominates the interior. The seats – with stone gray seams – and the headliner are in “Alabaster White".

Design

The concept car in Geneva has a special “Aqua Mint, pearl effect” paint finish; the contrasting roof arch is offset in “High Gloss Steel dark.” As with the other two e-tron models, the 18-inch wheels with a 20-spoke turbine design convey the high-tech aspiration of the concept.

The rear diffuser with aluminum trim lacks tailpipes. This emphasizes the width of the vehicle and suggests the low emissions. The two front fenders are emblazoned with the “e-tron” logo.

The “Aqua Mint, pearl effect” exterior color carries over into the interior, where it adorns the door panels and the center console. The shift lever is a special leather-wrapped design; as is typical for the e-tron models, the start-stop button was placed in the front of the center console. A specially designed battery cover at the front of the car and the range extender engine with its cooling fins displayed under a sheet of glass in the luggage compartment also serve to visually underscore the clean technology of the A1 e-tron. And because an innovative drive concept also calls for innovative information management, the concept car features a freely programmable instrument cluster with a virtual display surface and innovative display and operating concept.

The equipment and data specified in this document refer to the model range offered in Germany. Subject to change without notice; errors and omissions excepted.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,802 Likes on 13,984 Posts

Old 03-09-2010, 08:55 AM

cute.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:44 AM
I love me some Curry...!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
still not my cup of tea.... !
Old 05-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Audi maintains A1 not headed to U.S.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/audi-mai...ed-to-u-s.html

The has been plenty to suggest the possible United States availability of Audi’s upcoming A1 small car – ranging from an A1 microsite to a video series starring American pop icon Justin Timberlake driving the A1 through a U.S. city — but the German automaker says it has no current plans to sell the A1 on our shores.
Audi says it has received 50,000 European pre-orders for the A1, putting the premium compact well ahead of first year sales expectations. The A1 is expected to arrive in European Audi dealers by mid-summer.
Once production is fully up and running, Audi hopes to sell between 80,000 and 100,000 units of the A1 per year. However, those sales would be limited to the European market as Audi reaffirmed on Thursday that it has no plans to sell the A1 in the U.S.
Although there is the concern that a model like the A1 could dilute Audi’s premium image in the U.S., BMW’s MINI brand has shown that U.S. buyers aren’t completely opposed to a premium small car. Moreover, virtually every luxury manufacturer is planning a new crop of small cars for the U.S. market, potentially leaving Audi on the outside looking in. Audi could eventually decide to bring the A1 to the U.S. market, but until then buyers will have to look elsewhere for an up-scale compact.

Source: LLN
Old 05-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like the gauges
Old 05-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I love Audi's headlights and their interior designs....

National Acura Meet-June 6th/Kansas City-LESS THAN ONE MONTH AWAY!!!.
Click here for details and to sign up!

Old 09-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Audi S1 to be revealed in Paris?

Seems that Audi will be reveal a LOT of cars in Paris: R4, S7, S8?, RS3, and now the S1!

worldcarfans

On the official web site for the 2010 Paris Motor Show, the Audi S1 has showed up on the list of debuts.

Although no details have been released yet, the S1 is expected to strongly resemble the S-Line package for the A1 (pictured) plus a lowered suspension and special 17-inch wheels.

Power will come from a 1.4-liter TSI also found in the Seat Ibiza Cupra with 180 PS (133 kW / 178 bhp). Ironically, the S1 will be the first S-badged model to not be equipped with Quattro all-wheel drive as standard. Instead, front wheel drive will be mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission with paddle shifters behind the steering wheel.

Guestimates put 0-100 km/h time less than seven seconds and a top speed over 225 km/h (140 mph).

European market debut should be summer 2011, but North America once again gets denied another hot hatch.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

ops, I forgot the R8 Spyder with the new V8...
Old 09-22-2010, 06:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

No Audi S1: renamed 1.4TFSI

autocar

Audi has released the first official picture of its new A1 1.4 TFSI. The firm had earlier this week back-tracked on plans to call the hottest version of its new supermini S1.

The last-minute move, confirmed by Ingolstadt officials, comes amid concerns about the new compact hatchback’s lack of four-wheel drive – a feature included on all of Audi’s dedicated S models since the rally-bred Quattro S1.

Instead of S1, the sporty new A1 model, to be unveiled at next week’s Paris motor show, will be known as the A1 1.4 TFSI.

Powering the new front-wheel drive Audi is a uniquely tuned version of parent company’s supercharged and turbocharged 1.4-litre four-cylinder direct injection Twincharger petrol engine – as used by the recently introduced Polo GTi, a car with which it shares its underpinnings.

But while the Twincharger develops 178bhp in the Polo GTi, it puts out an added 4bhp in the A4 1.4 TSFI at 182bhp. Torque, however, remains the same at 184lb ft.

The boosted reserves are channeled through a standard seven-speed S-tronic dual-clutch gearbox and electronic limited-slip differential to the front wheels. Audi claims 0-62mph in 6.9sec and a top speed of 141mph. Combined average fuel consumption is put at 47.9mpg to give the A1 1.4 TFSI a CO2 rating of 139g/km.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

first official pic
Old 09-30-2010, 07:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Old 09-30-2010, 07:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

PRESS RELEASE

The Audi A1 1.4 TFSI (136 kW)

- Audi presents new top engine version for the Audi A1 at the Paris Motor Show
- 1.4 TFSI engine with 136 kW (185 hp) and 250 Nm (184.39 lb-ft)
- Fuel consumption of 5.9 l/100 km (39.87 US mpg), CO2 emissions of 139 g/km (223.7 g/mile)

INGOLSTADT, Germany, Sep 20, 2010 - The Audi A1, the premium car among the small compacts, has been a major success following its market debut. And now Audi is presenting the new top version – the A1 1.4 TFSI (136 kW). Its taut chassis provides sporty handling, while the dual-charged 1.4 TFSI delivers 136 kW (185 hp) of power and the S tronic dual-clutch transmission comes standard. The A1 1.4 TFSI (136 kW) also impresses with groundbreaking efficiency, consuming on average just 5.9 liters of fuel per 100 km (39.87 US mpg), which corresponds to CO2 emissions of just 139 g/km (223.70 g/mile) (provisional figures).

The A1 1.4 TFSI (136 kW) has a confident appearance. The single-frame grille, the striking roof arch, the flat C-pillar, the wrap-around engine hood and luggage hatch and the tornado line show its sporty potential even when it is at a standstill.

The A1 1.4 TFSI (136 kW) has a compact, lightweight engine with four valves per cylinder. This produces an impressive 136 kW (185 hp) and 250 Nm (184.39 lb-ft) of torque. The sprint from zero to 100 km/h (62.14 mph) takes just 6.9 seconds, and the top speed is 227 km/h (141.05 mph) (performance figures are provisional).

The spontaneous response and high propulsive power, even at high speeds, are achieved thanks to its special concept – a combination of supercharger and turbocharger.

The supercharger springs into action at 1,500 rpm and in most situations is disengaged at 2,400 rpm. From 3,500 rpm at the latest, the turbocharger does all the work. Because it doesn't have to do as much work at the low end of the rev range, the developers were able to use a large turbo and design it for high efficiency.

The 1.4 TFSI combines efficiency and dynamics. It uses on average just 5.9 liters of fuel per 100 km (39.87 US mpg) and emits 139 g CO2 per km (223.7 g/mile) (consumption figures are provisional). These excellent numbers are the product of the FSI concept, the dual charging system and also technologies from the modular efficiency platform.

The standard seven-speed S tronic transmission directs the power of the 1.4 TFSI to the front wheels. The high-end transmission is very short and light. The seven-speed S tronic is composed of two transmission structures which are operated by two multi-plate clutches. The shifting process takes place in just a few hundredths of a second and with no detectable interruption of pulling power. The tall seventh gear reduces fuel consumption.

The McPherson construction at the front and the torsion-beam rear suspension with separate springs and dampers form the basis for agile handling.

The Audi A1 1.4 TFSI (136 kW) turns in spontaneously, takes corners quickly and stably, and accelerates out of them with sure-footed grip. The brakes have the potent performance under control. The ventilated front discs measure 288 millimeters (11.34 in) in diameter.

Another specialty that comes standard for the chassis is the ESP stabilization program with electronic limited slip differential. When the system detects an impending loss of traction at the inside wheel during fast cornering, it initiates very brief braking of that wheel.

There is a comprehensive range of equipment. The safety package comprises two front airbags, thorax/pelvic side airbags and curtain head airbags. Belt tensioners and belt force limiters plus the Audi integral headrest system round out the package. Isofix child seat anchor points in the rear are standard.

Many of the options come directly from the luxury class. These are the xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running lights, the LED tail lights, the LED interior lighting package, the high-beam assistant, the light and rain sensor, the panoramic sunroof, the convenience key with the start-stop button, two navigation systems and a 465 watt Bose surround sound system with 14 speakers. Finally, manual and automatic air conditioning systems plus heated front seats are optionally available.

The Audi A1 1.4 TFSI (136 kW) will be launched toward the end of the year at a price of €24,250. In addition to S tronic, its standard specification contains a wide range of highlights: Ambition equipment line, 17-inch wheels, S line exterior package, manual air conditioning, additional mono.pur colored interior elements, black headlining and the LED interior light package.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Audi RS1 in 2012

worldcarfans

According to a report in the German auto magazine Auto Bild, Audi will be calling a sport-version of the A1 the RS1.

We've reported before on how VW and Audi are modifying their PQ25 platform to allow for an all-wheel drive A1 variant and Polo R to be produced. But Auto Bild is reporting that a quattro-fitted A1 variant will not be called the S1, as was previously reported, but Audi will skip that moniker altogether and badge the variant as the RS1.

That RS1 model will likely feature a 2.0 liter TFSI, the same as in the Golf GTI model, tuned to around 220 PS (162 kW) - in order to outdo the 211 PS (155 kW) of the Mini Cooper JCW which Audi sees as the RS1's main competitor.

Distinguishing the RS1 visually will be a unique body kit that will include wider fender flares.

Expect the RS1 to hit the market in early 2012.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Audi A1 e-tron drive: better than the Chevy Volt

Autocar

What is it?

The A1 e-tron is a prototype version of the new A1 hatchback and can probably be awarded the title of the first true 'range extender' electric car.

It is powered primarily by an electric motor driving the front wheels, powered by a small battery pack. However, when the battery is exhausted, a tiny Wankel engine (mounted under the boot floor) kicks in and drives a generator, which, in turn, powers the electric motor. Like nearly all electric cars, the A1 has a single speed transmission.

The combination of a (three-hour) full battery charge from the household mains, and the petrol in the car’s three-gallon tank, gives a claimed 148mpg (1.9l/100km) on the upcoming EU electric vehicle test cycle.

The motor is good for 60bhp and 111lb ft of torque on a continuous basis, but is capable of 101bhp and 177lb ft for short bursts.

In place of the usual ICE transmission, the A1 e-tron's nose not only gets the electric motor, but also houses a DC/DC inverter, the motor’s electronic control system, a battery charger, a standard 12v battery and a high voltage air conditioning compressor.

Situated in the rear half of the transmission tunnel and under the rear seats is the car’s Sanyo Lithium-Ion battery pack. A relatively modest 12kWh (half the size of battery pack used by the Nissan Leaf) will take the A1 around 31 miles in most normal conditions, arguably enough range for the average European or US commute.

What makes the A1 e-tron really special is the 'Range Extender generator module'. This is based around a tiny, 245cc, single rotar, Wankel engine. It generates a maximum 20bhp, driving a generator, which provides electricity once the battery has been run down to its lowest charge.

The Wankel engine, generator, power electronics, induction and exhaust system have been combined into a module that weighs just 65kg and fits under the A1's boot floor, without compromising luggage space. There’s even room under the floor for the Bose Hi-Fi’s bass booster.

The Chevy Volt was trailed by GM as being a range extender but, in certain high-speed situations, the Volt's engine can be coupled directly to the car’s electric motor. The A1 e-tron, however, is a true range extender in that the engine is not connected in any way to the wheels.

This completely new drivetrain has not changed the A1 in any significant way. The only external differences are the Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic roof panel and wheels. Compared to the massively compromised Mini E, the A1 e-tron is in another league.
What's it like?

Genuinely exceptional. Even though our test drive was on a circuit, it's hard to believe that the e-tron is not showroom ready. In fact, much of development was completed in virtual reality and real-world trials with members of the public began in Paris this summer.

In pure electric mode it is swift and quiet and handles very tidily. Despite the extra weight of the range extender running gear, the A1 had enough verve to be interesting.

Under hard acceleration it is satisfyingly quick and impressively noiseless. After a few laps of the circuit (which was laid out to imitate town driving) and a few full-bore accelerative runs, I lamented to the engineer in the passenger seat that 'I hadn't got the Wankel engine to kick in'.

In fact, it had, four times. It was so quiet, so well insulated and so inherently smooth running I just hadn’t noticed. Audi claims that further refinement improvements are in the pipeline.

Using the stock automatic gear lever, the driver can select either 'D', 'R', 'N' or 'Range', the latter allowing the engine to cut in an out during normal driving to help preserve the battery.

Not all Range Extender systems will be this well integrated or refined, but this system has to be the way forward for production electric vehicles. Not only does it completely overcome 'range anxiety' but it's also much more cost-effective than a longer range, pure EV.

For example, the money saved by using a battery half the size of the one in the Nissan Leaf, is far more than than cost of adding the A1's range extender module.
Should I buy one?

If you could, I’d recommend it very highly. But you can't. And despite the A1 e-tron’s advanced state, it is still some way from being given the green light by Audi's board.

Insiders hint that the current strategy is to first introduce electric motivation on high-end Audi models. That would be a huge mistake. This A1 is far more sophisticated and production ready than the R8 e-tron, which is scheduled for small-scale production in 2012.

On this limited showing, I'd say it was also better than Chevy's Volt.

Of anything Audi has done in the last decade, it is probably this exceptional car which best lives up to the company's 'Vorsprung Durch Technik' mission statement. It really has to find its way into the showroom.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
guess no one's interested in RS version of A1?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love it
Old 11-10-2010, 11:41 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 701 Likes on 421 Posts
Wow that's quite a glowing review for the A1 e-tron...

Quick Reply: Audi: A1, S1 News