SUPER HANDLING ALL-WHEEL DRIVE™
INTEGRATED DYNAMICS SYSTEM
6-SPEED SEQUENTIAL SPORTSHIFT TRANSMISSION
RACING-INSPIRED PADDLE SHIFTERS
PERFORMANCE-ORIENTED INSTRUMENT PANEL

ACCORD PLATFORM
Fixed.

How is 'coupe roofline' a feature?

For Acura's sake I hope this thing sells. Something tells me it will.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:10 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by vybzkartel
New that was coming Dom . By next week, you be salivating over it, lol.
Doubtful. Like I said, I could never buy a vehicle like this. But its not as bad as I originally thought for sure.

<- Waits for RWD and a new engine from Acura.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't consider it a coupe, but I think Acura's current styling direction works well on this vehicle. I'm not sure if there is room in the current market for this vehicle, but at least the styling was well executed.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
there is a push bottom start.
:gheylaugh
Old 04-08-2009, 11:26 AM
spaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just saw all the new pics on jalopnik
good stuff. too bad the new acuras never look quite right in pictures but look great in real life.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
A 6 speed trans.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aTG.vdY72vko

Honda Adding ZDX Crossover to Aid Slumping U.S. Acura Sales

By Alan Ohnsman

April 8 (Bloomberg) -- Honda Motor Co.’s Acura division is expanding its U.S. lineup with a new crossover model the company hopes will help reverse sagging sales for the luxury brand.

The all-wheel-drive ZDX, derived from Tokyo-based Honda’s Acura MDX sport-utility vehicle, is a 4-door car and goes on sale late this year, said Mike Spencer, a spokesman for Honda. The vehicle was shown today at the New York International Auto Show.

Carmakers are introducing new exterior designs and features to spark sales amid the weakest U.S. auto market since the early 1980s. Acura car and SUV sales plummeted 35 percent in the first quarter, mirroring an industrywide 38 percent drop for luxury models, according to Autodata Corp.

The V-6 engine ZDX, the first Acura designed by a woman, will be built at Honda’s Alliston, Ontario, plant where MDX is produced, Spencer said. The new Acura competes with Bayerische Motoren Werke AG’s BMW X6 crossover, introduced last year.

The model will be priced “in between MDX and the RL” sedan, he said. The 2009 MDX is priced from $40,990 while the top-end RL sedan sells for as much as $54,100, according to the company’s Web site.

Honda’s U.S. Acura unit is based in Torrance, California. The New York show is open to the public April 10-19.

To contact the reporter on this story: Alan Ohnsman in Los Angeles aohnsman@bloomberg.net
Last Updated: April 8, 2009 11:00 EDT
Old 04-08-2009, 11:43 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

The model will be priced “in between MDX and the RL” sedan, he said. The 2009 MDX is priced from $40,990 while the top-end RL sedan sells for as much as $54,100, according to the company’s Web site.
that settles that.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Senior Moderator

I just don't get the 4 door "coupe" crap... how about a real coupe ??
Old 04-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
that settles that.
But if 05 RL's are going for $20k now, I can buy a ZDX in 4 years for half of the original msrp

I don't think this looks that bad... it kinda reminds me of a insight... just bigger and more expensive...
Old 04-08-2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I just don't get the 4 door "coupe" crap... how about a real coupe ??
yea the 4 door coupe marketing is getting lame.

but remember when there was the article about audi wanting to make a 4 door A5, which is the coupe version of the A4?
Old 04-08-2009, 11:57 AM
how handsome I am

For what its worth its not that ugly compared to some of its fellow Acuras.

But seriously, why attack this market? Who in their right fucking mind is down for a 4 door coupe/crossover? Ive seen like 3 x6's since their introduction. Ugly beast.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
I don't know what to think.

I think it looks decent, but I don't know if they 4g TL looking so ugly makes this thing look good.

The whole "coupe" thing is annoying. I assume coupe to be a car or based on a car platform, but this obviously is MDX based.

If I want a sporty family hauler, I'd buy a sport wagon of some sort or an X5. Acura doesn't carry that cache, not without sporty sedans and traditional coupes.

To be honest, I'd rather get a Venza or whatever Honda's cooking up as a Venza fighter.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
man if only they lowered this thing to the ground and made it a REAL coupe. It would be awesome. Im lovin the headlights...it has ventilated seats!
Old 04-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
It looks good. The front is how the 4G TL should have looked. It definitely blows away the X6, in the looks department. It will probably have better sales than the RDX and definitely the RL but the TSX, TL and MDX will be the top sellers.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by L's TL
man if only they lowered this thing to the ground and made it a REAL coupe. It would be awesome. Im lovin the headlights...it has ventilated seats!

I agree. they've gotta lower it.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Intermediate

More info, pics, 360, etc... on Acura's web site:
http://www.acura.com/FutureVehicles....ureVehiclesCUV
Old 04-08-2009, 12:33 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
It's clear Acura is staying true to the current design styling.

I guess we'll have to wait 5 more years to see what the next gen Acura's will look like.

...hopefully better.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:35 PM
spaz

is it bad that i really like this?
not for me but more like for my future wife or like my dad...
Old 04-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Safety Car

^^I dunno. I'm confused too. I like parts of it but I think aspects of the marketing/categorization are annoying.

I think they could have made a real nice coupe, in the traditional sense, with some of the aspects of this "car's" design.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
So the MDX can handle 7 ppl, instead of 5, has the same engine, AND it's cheaper? Why wouldn't you get the mdx?

MDX - 5 spd transmission
ZDX - 6 spd, panoramic roof. hrm.....

I actually like the look of this car, and know that it won't have all the chrom on the front grill for production. I think the reflectors and reverse lights probably will change locations too.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
^^I think Acura (HoCo) is deliberate in what it's doing. To stay relevant, a car company has to keep rolling out new products to stoke public's interest. I am sure that a coupe is in the works, since the S2000 and RSX were killed off.

The ZDX (stupid name), looks good. If it were modified to look like a sedan, it would be the best looking Acura.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Needs to clean up

Originally Posted by Thorin78
So the MDX can handle 7 ppl, instead of 5, has the same engine, AND it's cheaper? Why wouldn't you get the mdx?

MDX - 5 spd transmission

I actually like the look of this car, and know that it won't have all the chrom on the front grill for production. I think the reflectors and reverse lights probably will change locations too.

Actually MDX does only handle 5 adults comfortably. The third row seats are a joke, both in terms of access and comfort. So the utility of 7 seater is virtually non existent. Also to a decent amount of storage (for grocery etc) you got to fold down the third row of seat anyway, So essentially ZDX could do very well given that a lot of MDX buyer probably would roll over to ZDX.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

MDX - 5 spd transmission

I think Honda/Acura wants it to me more of a niche product. Don't think of it as a family hauling SUV.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by agranado
For what its worth its not that ugly compared to some of its fellow Acuras.

But seriously, why attack this market? Who in their right fucking mind is down for a 4 door coupe/crossover? Ive seen like 3 x6's since their introduction. Ugly beast.
Agree, my initial reaction was "not bad". But I wouldn't predict it's failure based on the X6. The X6 is a mistake. Too goofy looking for any guy to drive. Not "cute" enough for a woman to drive. Who's going to buy that thing within the BMW buying community. It's a looser.

The ZDX has a much better stance, is sexier looking, and will be priced better. It will sell the best of the two others in the segment. That's my guess anyway.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I think Honda/Acura wants it to me more of a niche product. Don't think of it as a family hauling SUV.

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Agree, my initial reaction was "not bad". But I wouldn't predict it's failure based on the X6. The X6 is a mistake. Too goofy looking for any guy to drive. Not "cute" enough for a woman to drive. Who's going to buy that thing within the BMW buying community. It's a looser.

The ZDX has a much better stance, is sexier looking, and will be priced better. It will sell the best of the two others in the segment. That's my guess anyway.

thing is, it the X6 is a niche vehicle too so i dunno if i'd call it a mistake or a failure. dunno the sales numbers for it, and i don't know what the goals were, but i don't think bmw planned or intended to move a whole lot of them.

looks are subjective, but i happen to find the X6 a very sexy looking vehicle.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
I don't know what to think.

I think it looks decent, but I don't know if they 4g TL looking so ugly makes this thing look good.

The whole "coupe" thing is annoying. I assume coupe to be a car or based on a car platform, but this obviously is MDX based.

If I want a sporty family hauler, I'd buy a sport wagon of some sort or an X5. Acura doesn't carry that cache, not without sporty sedans and traditional coupes.

To be honest, I'd rather get a Venza or whatever Honda's cooking up as a Venza fighter.
the TL's fugliness may have thrown things off for everyone.

and i'm starting to like the venza after seeing the commercials.

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
^^I dunno. I'm confused too. I like parts of it but I think aspects of the marketing/categorization are annoying.

I think they could have made a real nice coupe, in the traditional sense, with some of the aspects of this "car's" design.
i think so too.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:31 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

MDX - 5 spd transmission

Good points....I think the answer is that this vehicle was too long into production that started a few years back when the world economy was booming and Acura could produce a niche vehicle that would sell.

It was a good idea back then.

Acura got stuck between a rock and a hard place with this vehicle when the economy took a dive.

Either kill it and save some coin.....but then you have no new model on the horizon to bring to market.

Produce it....expect very low volume sales....but it keeps the Acura name in front of people.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Good points....I think the answer is that this vehicle was too long into production that started a few years back when the world economy was booming and Acura could produce a niche vehicle that would sell.

It was a good idea back then.

Acura got stuck between a rock and a hard place with this vehicle when the economy took a dive.

Either kill it and save some coin.....but then you have no new model on the horizon to bring to market.

Produce it....expect very low volume sales....but it keeps the Acura name in front of people.
dunno how long this car was in production, but it must have been some time if it's coming out now. so i'm led to believe it's the last choice. right now, there's not a whole lot to lose, is there? at least keep the name in the mix and have people talk about it.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Go Big Blue!

thing is, it the X6 is a niche vehicle too so i dunno if i'd call it a mistake or a failure. dunno the sales numbers for it, and i don't know what the goals were, but i don't think bmw planned or intended to move a whole lot of them.

looks are subjective, but i happen to find the X6 a very sexy looking vehicle.
I agree looks are subjective. but I just think the X6 is the wrong vehicle for that brand. Infiniti has had more success with their FX eventhough it's no looker either. I think Acura will have more success with this ZDX in this niche segment. Also it helps grow the brand. That's good for them. They now need a REAL coupe, convertible, and a redesigned flagship. I really think it's a mistake to let the RL sit there like that. It's dragging down their brand image being such a gigantic failure in that segment.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I agree looks are subjective. but I just think the X6 is the wrong vehicle for that brand. Infiniti has had more success with their FX eventhough it's no looker either. I think Acura will have more success with this ZDX in this niche segment. Also it helps grow the brand. That's good for them. They now need a REAL coupe, convertible, and a redesigned flagship. I really think it's a mistake to let the RL sit there like that. It's dragging down their brand image being such a gigantic failure in that segment.
but bmw really doesn't have a lot to lose by making the X6, do they? they have pretty much models for every segment except a sportscar like the R8.

part of me does think acura will have more success with this car. pricing certainly helps. the X6 is not cheap at all. and i agree that this will help grow the brand.

and i also agree that the RL, the way it is right now, is bringing the brand image down. i still run into people who believe the RL (because it is acura's "flagship" sedan) competes with the 7, S, LS, etc., and as a result of that, they think negatively of the acura brand. when the mmc RL was released, i actually wished that they stopped selling the RL until they figure out what to do with it. it's a shame because the 2g is a gorgeous car in and out.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:42 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

dunno how long this car was in production, but it must have been some time if it's coming out now. so i'm led to believe it's the last choice. right now, there's not a whole lot to lose, is there? at least keep the name in the mix and have people talk about it.
That's my thought. I think if Honda knew then what they know now, they wouldn't have given this vehicle the green light.

...but then again it's on the MDX platform, same old engine.....but new tranny.

The tranny will end up in the rest of the line-up anyway...so no harm no foul there. .....and it's about time for a 6spd auto.

This vehicle will probably go the way of the CL.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:49 PM

acura might even show this vehicle in its tv commercials.

and it can mention the new transmission as a way of advancing.

tweak it a bit, lower it like a coupe, and call it the CL. i'm interested.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Go Big Blue!

and i also agree that the RL, the way it is right now, is bringing the brand image down. i still run into people who believe the RL (because it is acura's "flagship" sedan) competes with the 7, S, LS, etc., and as a result of that, they think negatively of the acura brand. when the mmc RL was released, i actually wished that they stopped selling the RL until they figure out what to do with it. it's a shame because the 2g is a gorgeous car in and out.
I own an 07 so I would have agree it's a great car inside and out. I think it was really more of a marketing failure. However, now it's getting long in the tooth (even with the MMC) and you have a new model (09 TL) that overlaps it in too many ways. Either totally redesign it or kill it. But we digress. Back to the ZDX..... I'll cast my vote for "relative winner". It's going to be a plus for Acura's lineup. Not a savior for the brand obviously, but an incremental improvement.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Safety Car

acura might even show this vehicle in its tv commercials.

and it can mention the new transmission as a way of advancing.

tweak it a bit, lower it like a coupe, and call it the CL. i'm interested.

...or even keep it as a sedan coupe. I keep looking at the side view pic, and it looks about 6 to 9 inches taller than it should be.

And I'm beginning to see hints of Mazda in it.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
This vehicle will probably go the way of the CL.

it's a nice short term experiment though.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Advanced

I think it looks great. It will definitely boost Acura's image. The interior looks amazing. I consider the ZDX as a showcase for Acura's technology. You get everything from Acura in one package. It will bring people in, and although most people won't need all that comes with the ZDX, there will be other models in the showroom to consider.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

So, minus the front and rear fascia, this sucker is pretty much production ready. But for over 40K it's too much for me.

But I might take the FX35 over this though.

Last edited by AsianRage; 04-08-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by TSX-Tuner
I think it looks great. It will definitely boost Acura's image. The interior looks amazing. I consider the ZDX as a showcase for Acura's technology. You get everything from Acura in one package. It will bring people in, and although most people won't need all that comes with the ZDX, there will be other models in the showroom to consider.
but acura's always been the type of car to get everything in one package. i do believe this car can get people in, but i hope they don't see the other models in the showroom.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by AsianRage
So, minus the front and rear fascia, this sucker is pretty much production ready. But for over 40K it's too much for me.
how would people feel if this car was priced below the MDX and was the RDX instead?

Quick Reply: Acura: ZDX News