Wow...

Story here: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/20/...-pair-auction/

The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (05-21-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 03:21 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,154 Likes on 2,581 Posts
2019 Acura NSX vs. 1991 Acura NSX | Respect your elders

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/23/...021&yptr=yahoo .

Alot of pics, overall I'd rather have the 2019.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:07 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
I have driven borh NA1 and NC1. The NA1/2 has always been my dream car since I was 10. I finally had the chance to drive a 1991 model a couple years ago. It's really good - low sitting position, very good visibility, nice shifter feel, nice engine and exhaust note (well it has an aftermarket exhaust), nice steering feel and weight, good ergonomics. I would still very much love to have a NA2, especially the type r version. However, being a Ap1 owner, I felt that the s2000 pretty much feels like a nsx, in a sense that they both feel very mechanical with very low center of gravity. While the nsx has more torque, the s2000 doesn't feel weaker thanks to it's shorter gearing and an extra gear. I think the gearing in the nsx is too long, making it not as engaging to drive. I also feel that the s2000 has sharper response than the na1.

So this brings me to the new nsx. It feels quite a bit different than both the na1 and s2000, in a good way. It's almost like the s2000 is too similar to the na1, and so I would much rather get the new nsx instead, so that I can enjoy a different driving experience.

I just did a track day in the nc1 a few weeks ago. It's really fast, easily the fastest car for that day. The way it accelerates out of corners is mind boggling. I just couldn't stop smiling the whole time. It's a very satisfying feeling, lol. I will be going on a little road trip tomorrow for another track day on Saturday. Hopefully I can learn a bit more about the car! So far I have been really impressed by its different personalities - it can be like an Accord hybrid in sport mode, then a sports car in sport+ mode, and a beast in track mode.
The following 4 users liked this post by iforyou:
00TL-P3.2 (05-24-2019), Costco (05-29-2019), fsttyms1 (06-05-2019), Legend2TL (05-24-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
Post Type R Model?

Speculation from here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterly.../#29a066e032c0
Old 05-29-2019, 04:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
I read that yesterday; very intriguing.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:06 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
I have driven borh NA1 and NC1. The NA1/2 has always been my dream car since I was 10. I finally had the chance to drive a 1991 model a couple years ago. It's really good - low sitting position, very good visibility, nice shifter feel, nice engine and exhaust note (well it has an aftermarket exhaust), nice steering feel and weight, good ergonomics. I would still very much love to have a NA2, especially the type r version. However, being a Ap1 owner, I felt that the s2000 pretty much feels like a nsx, in a sense that they both feel very mechanical with very low center of gravity. While the nsx has more torque, the s2000 doesn't feel weaker thanks to it's shorter gearing and an extra gear. I think the gearing in the nsx is too long, making it not as engaging to drive. I also feel that the s2000 has sharper response than the na1.

So this brings me to the new nsx. It feels quite a bit different than both the na1 and s2000, in a good way. It's almost like the s2000 is too similar to the na1, and so I would much rather get the new nsx instead, so that I can enjoy a different driving experience.

I just did a track day in the nc1 a few weeks ago. It's really fast, easily the fastest car for that day. The way it accelerates out of corners is mind boggling. I just couldn't stop smiling the whole time. It's a very satisfying feeling, lol. I will be going on a little road trip tomorrow for another track day on Saturday. Hopefully I can learn a bit more about the car! So far I have been really impressed by its different personalities - it can be like an Accord hybrid in sport mode, then a sports car in sport+ mode, and a beast in track mode.
I haven't had the pleasure of driving the new NSX but when I ignored all the haters and read the objective parts of magazines that reviewed it, I came to the same conclusion.

It is in the spirit of the McLaren F1, my favorite car of all time. A daily driveable supercar, only moreso in the case of the NSX.

The NSX absolutely breaks my neck every time I see one. Love to see that you're fully utilizing it!
F23A4 (05-30-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 02:54 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by Costco
I haven't had the pleasure of driving the new NSX but when I ignored all the haters and read the objective parts of magazines that reviewed it, I came to the same conclusion.

It is in the spirit of the McLaren F1, my favorite car of all time. A daily driveable supercar, only moreso in the case of the NSX.

The NSX absolutely breaks my neck every time I see one. Love to see that you're fully utilizing it!
Yea I feel like the default sport mode is very good for daily driving. Very comfortable but has the power if you need it.

Just did another track day last weekend but it was v under heavy rain:
The following 6 users liked this post by iforyou:
civicdrivr (07-19-2019), Comfy (02-10-2021), Costco (06-03-2019), Legend2TL (06-03-2019), vealboy (02-15-2020), Yumcha (06-04-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-16-2019, 08:04 PM
Senior Moderator

This is nifty: https://www.supercars.net/blog/2002-...s-performance/
The following 2 users liked this post by Yumcha:
F23A4 (07-17-2019), Mizouse (07-21-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 11:15 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Thanks for posting! The 2002 NSX-R is still my dream car but wow they are appreciating faster than real estate lol.

It's definitely underrated. I have seen as fast as 12.6s in the 1/4 mile at 110mph in best motoring and that's with tires from 2002. Put some sport cup 2s on it and I bet a good driver can break 12.5.

And that commitment to perfection and lightweight from Honda for this car is so amazing.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:13 PM
AZ Community Team

This is one of the reasons the NSX works so well according to Gordon Murray (designer of the McLaren F1)
The fully compliant front suspension bushing (on the left) of the NSX, a true work of art.

CCColtsicehockey (01-23-2020)
Old 07-21-2019, 05:51 PM

Received 2,787 Likes on 1,987 Posts
Old 07-21-2019, 07:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Nice read: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/cla...fight-ferrari/
Old 07-21-2019, 08:09 PM

Received 2,787 Likes on 1,987 Posts
requires an account

Old 07-22-2019, 04:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
It was 1989. George Bush had just become the 41st President of the United States, while here in the UK, Margaret Thatcher’s premiership was beginning to draw to its end.

Ride On Time by Black Box, Eternal Flame by The Bangles, and Back To Life by Soul II Soul were playing on the radio and Honda was launching a supercar.

You can imagine how ridiculous this might have seemed at the time. But actually, it wasn’t really so. Honda was a company of huge imagination in the late 1980s.

Not only did it have sensible family cars like the Accord and Civic in its range, but there were lithe sports cars in the form of the CRX and Prelude, a remarkably prescient MPV-SUV crossover called the Shuttle, and even the oddball Aerodeck, a three-door estate with pop-up headlights based on the Accord.

One thing all of these cars had in common was their down-to-earth usability. It didn’t matter which Honda you were talking about or how leftfield it might have been in concept – driving one was a hassle-free experience.

The obligatory Channel Tunnel shot: the old NSX is much easier to park on a train than the wider new one CREDIT: OLGUN KORDAL

The same couldn’t be said of the supercars of the time. Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and even Porsches were truculent beasts that demanded concentration – not to mention a bit of heft.

Should it really have come as a great surprise, then, that Honda would take aim at a class where it thought it could do better? Here was a chance to bring to market a supercar that could excite just as well as all of these rivals, but also be as easy to use day-to-day as its Civic.

To this end, engineers famously drafted in Ayrton Senna to help develop the handling of the new car. Stylists Ken Okuyama – designer of the 1984 HP-X concept, pilfered from Pininfarina – and Masahito Nakano came up with a beautifully balanced and incredibly aerodynamic body, whose glasshouse referenced the F-16 fighter jet.

Under project leader Shigeru Uehara, meanwhile, the NSX became a reality, eschewing the fad for turbocharged engines and instead combining a naturally-aspirated 3.0-litre V6 engine which featured Honda’s newfangled VTEC variable valve timing system, with an all-aluminium body – the first in a mainstream production car – to produce supercar pace.

And it really was supercar pace that the NSX could offer. 0-60mph came up in 5.7 seconds, while the top speed was 168mph. To put that into context, the newly-launched Ferrari 348’s figures were 5.4 seconds and 171mph respectively. Honda was right in the hunt.

The original car in red, the second-generation in orange, and the newest model in blue (with a Civic Type R along for the ride) CREDIT: OLGUN KORDAL

It was in February of 1989 that the NSX broke cover for the first time, at the Chicago Auto Show. Now, 30 years later, Honda has gathered three examples together for us to drive across Northern France on a rather wonderful road trip that, we hope, will reveal exactly how the model has evolved.

From 1990, we have an original NSX, complete with pop-up headlamps and the red paintwork of those first prototypes. From 2005, a last-of-the-line post-facelift car finished in retina-scorching Imola Orange. And from 2017, the all-new NSX – a successor many years in the making, and once again on the cutting edge of supercar technology.

We're aboard the 2005 car first, and as we roll out of the Eurotunnel in Calais, we’re glad to note that the drizzle falling on the other side of the Channel has ceased on this side. A burst of acceleration onto the autoroute for the schlep down to Reims proves what character its 290bhp 3.2-litre engine has; the hard-edged, metallic noise right behind your head is addictive, and it takes all of our will-power not to end up at speeds that – given the undoubted proclivity for gendarmes to book a bright orange supercar with British plates – would almost certainly cause the trip to be over before it had really even started.

Alex stops at Reims for further Eurotrip clichés CREDIT: OLGUN KORDAL

Once settled into a cruise, though, it’s easy to appreciate just how much of a stir the NSX must have caused at the time. Though our car is a late example, in many ways it’s barely changed from the original, and it feels smooth and pliant. The gearshift is slick, the pedals are light and feelsome, and the steering is nicely weighted. We set the cruise control and let the miles glide by, the NSX’s surprising suppleness causing them to pass more quickly and less stressfully than we’d expected.

Then it’s time to come off at Reims, to take in the old grand prix circuit and a few of the smaller roads around the area. And it’s here that the NSX’s charm becomes even more apparent.

The steering’s the most unusual aspect: it’s an electric system, and an early one at that, so there’s very little feel. But it’s ultra-quick and ultra-precise; combined with the brilliantly incisive turn-in, that makes it easy to position the NSX where you want it. Then there’s the chassis – beautifully balanced, it moves in a way that provides all of the information about the car’s attitude that you don’t get through the steering.

Prod the throttle hard and the NSX will push its tail wide, but you have to be trying – treated more gently, there’s copious grip to lean on as you power out of a corner. And despite the suspension’s comfort, body control is superb, the car feeling taut and flat even if you turn in at silly speeds.

No sooner have we fallen in love with the orange car, though, than a proper relic presents itself. We step into the 1990 car with mixed feelings; disappointed, slightly, because it’s an automatic, but excited, too, because this is a car with quite some provenance – it was actually given to Ayrton Senna to use for a stint while he was in the UK promoting the NSX.

The car that started it all CREDIT: OLGUN KORDAL

So, safely ensconced in the bum groove of one of the world’s finest racing drivers, we set off. Manual NSXs with this 3.0-litre engine had 270bhp, but the automatics had 18bhp shaved off that figure to avoid overwhelming the gearbox, and that lack of power makes itself felt. Particularly low down, where the second-generation’s genuine supercar pace has been downgraded simply to something vaguely sporty.

But with that exception, the automatic NSX is better than you might expect. The VTEC shove at the top end is at least still there. And the automatic gearbox slots home each ratio crisply, cleverly reading when you’re in a corner and opting to hold onto ratios right when you really want it to.

The journey to Paris passes even more smoothly than the first leg, the older car’s slightly softer suspension (and, potentially, more worn-in seats – thanks Ayrton) making it an even more adept cruiser. And as we make our way into the centre of town, negotiating rush-hour traffic as we try to find our hotel for the night, we’re feeling rather smug about finding ourselves in the auto. We’re glad, too, of the old NSX’s visibility, its low dashboard and thin pillars allowing a terrific view out, while the squared-off front wheel arches are easy to place.

The next day, we’re in another auto, but this time it’s the latest NSX. Winding it out of the underground car park is not easy, and on the streets of Paris, the extra bulk of the new car is immediately noticeable. But even more so is the complete silence with which it manoeuvres at low speed; this NSX is, of course, a hybrid.

It's wider, and therefore slightly more difficult to drive in town than the older models CREDIT: OLGUN KORDAL

More precisely, that means there’s a 3.5-litre V6, boosted by two turbos, and paired with three electric motors for even more grunt: one at the rear, and two at the front. The result is 573bhp and a whopping 476lb ft of torque.

Where the old NSXs were decidedly analogue, the new one is one is a proper technofest. You can choose between four different driving modes – Quiet, Sport, Sport Plus and Track – via a large knurled knob right in the centre of the dash, and the difference between the four is dramatic.

We select Quiet, intended for unobtrusive use in town centres, for our early-morning journey out of the city, and the NSX tiptoes through the streets, using its electric motor as much as possible and keeping exhaust noise to a minimum whenever the petrol engine is called for.

Eventually we find dual carriageways, which deliver us safely through the suburbs and out onto the motorways beyond. As we pull up to one péage, my inner child gets the better of me and I flick the NSX into Sport Plus mode, burying the throttle as we clear the concrete pedestals.

The NSX is fundamentally highly liveable-with, and is as suitable for real life as it is for a high-speed autoroute missionCREDIT: OLGUN KORDAL

The power is immediate and astonishing, the instant shove of the electric motors ameliorated by the grunt of that V6 and, as the revs rise further, the fast-acting turbos. This is a ballistically quick car, and very different in the way it delivers its power to the older cars, both of which reward you for letting them rev out. The new NSX, by contrast, gives you everything in one, overwhelming assault on the senses, the throbbing wail of that V6 filling the cockpit as that instant, unrelenting acceleration pins you back in the seat.

And as all that power is deployed, the back end squirms, flicking to the left suddenly. So brutal is the sledgehammer blow the NSX delivers that the clever, power-shuffling four-wheel drive system can’t quite keep up. Happily the tail is caught just as quickly as it breaks free, though more likely by the driver assistance gadgets or the four-wheel drive system catching up than by your correspondent’s slow wits. “They do do that,” grins John, Honda’s technical guru, who’s sitting beside me for this leg.

The rest of our motorway schlep to Rouen passes without incident, the new NSX aping the old as an adept cross-country cruiser, though admittedly one with a firmer ride and a slightly more focussed feel. It gains in modernity, mind you, offering dual-zone climate control, Bluetooth and sat-nav, though these latter two must be accessed via an archaic infotainment system that, ironically, feels like something from 2003.

The new Honda NSX rated highly by all the Telegraph's motoring critics CREDIT: OLGUN KORDAL

We leave the autoroute bound for what remains of Rouen-les-Essarts, a street circuit that hosted the French Grand Prix several times between 1952 and 1968, when Jo Schlesser was tragically killed here. Formula One racing never returned, and the circuit gained a reputation for danger; it was eventually closed in 1993.

Today, though, the roads that made up the track can still be driven; it isn’t hard to see how difficult and perilous the steep drop down the hill into the sharp Nouveau Monde hairpin would have been. But these wide, sweeping sections suit the modern NSX well, its girth becoming a non-issue and the slight inconsistencies of its steering having less of an impact. And of course, its immense power trivialises the car-testing climb back up to Courbe de l’Etoile.

Just as we’re getting to know the new NSX, however, the rain starts to fall again, and with a solid mass of weather heading our way from the Atlantic Ocean, the time to start the long slog home is nigh. Rejoining the motorway and heading for Calais, there are certainly worse places to be. And yet, it isn’t this car that’s captured our hearts here, and nor is it Senna’s.

Sometimes it takes a great car to rekindle a love for the open road CREDIT: OLGUN KORDAL

That 2003 car, with its rampant, singing engine, pinpoint chassis and all the visual drama of the original, is the one we really want to be in. Over and above any objective assessment, the late, first-generation NSX just feels right. It is the original, remastered; the result of 10 years or so of continuous improvement, through tweaks and tricks and modest upgrades, applied to an already rich and exhilarating base.

And in that regard, it leaves us with a tantalising prospect. Just imagine how good the current NSX might be in 10 years’ time, were it to receive the same sort of development; its foibles worked through, the chassis tamed a little more, that archaic infotainment system chucked in the bin. The immense and unrelenting power of its deeply clever drivetrain allowed to flourish in a car patiently finessed around it; this lesson from the past informing the NSX’s future. Now there’s a thought to make one look forward to the 40th anniversary reunion.

good read!
The following 4 users liked this post by F23A4:
Costco (07-22-2019), nanxun (07-22-2019), nist7 (08-09-2019), Yumcha (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 07:07 AM
Race Director

Received 3,297 Likes on 2,039 Posts
Seen at my local shop; license plate reads: F-16 JET ...

Old 07-22-2019, 08:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by nanxun
Seen at my local shop; license plate reads: F-16 JET ...

I've seen this one around town and at a couple of meets. There's a good number of guys with them in the area. My buddy and shop owner has one that runs 11s in the 1/4. Beautiful machines
nanxun (07-22-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 12:43 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

That's a F-16 inspired cockpit design. Perfectly matched plate.
EL19 (07-23-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 06:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Group buy?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-acura-nsx-62/

kurtatx (08-05-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 04:01 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i love this new color!

https://www.carpics.xyz/2020-acura-n...-yellow-pearl/
Old 08-09-2019, 08:14 AM

Received 5,413 Likes on 3,704 Posts
While yellow is pretty low on my choices, that does look quite good.

I don't think I'd buy an NSX in yellow. If I were getting a yellow car, it'd need to be more 'exotic'. Something like an Elise/Exige or Ferrari (though, for me, a Ferrari should be red only).
Old 08-09-2019, 08:42 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,991 Likes on 3,948 Posts
The yellow looks good from some angles and lighting but not others. I love the way it looks in the first pic but it looks too pastel in the second.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
900 mile road trip.

https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/28...ver-considered
, that turbo’d 573-horsepower hybrid V-6 delivers an impressive 24+ mpg on the highway despite an EPA rating of just 22. And three, the car’s magnetorheological dampers are so compliant in their softest mode that even the crater-ridden stretch of I-75 from Toledo to Detroit hardly shook our spines. For context, traversing that same stretch in a Ford Focus RS was pure torture.

Ryan Sund-Perez
A fitting tune considering our destination.

Apple CarPlay...but no volume knob.

Jerry Perez
Cruising in 9th gear.

But it wasn’t until we reached the Motor City that the spotlight shone on the NSX’s complete-package nature. Its 3.7 inches of ground clearance aced the city's parking ramps and speed bumps; steering is lighter at low speeds for easy parallel parking. The only demerit: there's no getting around the car's hilarious 47.8-inch overall height, which makes things a bit complicated at the Starbucks drive-thru. Which, don’t even bother, because it doesn’t come with built-in cupholders. (A cheap plastic attachment that clips to the passenger side of the center console is available, but again, the NSX should probably be a no-drinks car.)

A late afternoon rainstorm—the kind where wipers can’t keep up on the highest setting—provided further proof that this all-weather supercar can handle truly adverse conditions. The 19-inch front and 20-inch rear Continental SportContact tires, aided by Acura's Super Handling All-Wheel Drive, never skipped a beat despite the constant presence of standing water. All that daily usability is bolstered by the Integrated Dynamics System, which is Acura parlance for programmable driving modes—Quiet, Sport, Sport +, and Track.

Jerry Perez
Enough room for two duffel bags or one small carry-on suitcase.

Jerry Perez
Indy 500 champ Alex Rossi liked the NSX so much, he parked his Raptor next to it.

Like any system, it dials in the all-wheel-drive system, traction control systems, suspension, and throttle mapping for the situation at hand. But it’s further augmented by having those instant-torque twin electric motors up front, which also work to vector torque in the corners—you can really feel the throttle response and turn-in sharpness increase the further up you go. Quiet and Sport modes are the best-suited for road trip duty, while we’ve seen what Track mode can do at both Daytona and Road America with all the nannies turned off. And despite the fact that it's the least exciting of the modes, Quiet operation is the key to experiencing the NSX's electric-only side—it'll do up to 50 mph on battery power alone, though you have to take care to avoid accidentally waking up the engine with too much throttle.

Jerry Perez
How's 24.3 mpg?

Jerry Perez
The kid is a fan.

As we bounced around central Michigan for three days, the NSX never once felt uncomfortable or ill-suited for vacation duty, that optional carbon fiber front splitter remaining remarkably intact over some dicey roads. Following a multi-hour blast back down to Indianapolis, the NSX morphed from grand tourer to daily driver and became the family steed for running errands, taking children to summer jobs and summer camps, and generally puttering around town—You know, the kind of tasks that require any car (let alone a supercar) to actually work. This meant a great backup camera, untroubled Bluetooth and Apple CarPlay, rock-solid air conditioning, a smooth idle and supple ride, and stress-free ground clearance. “Easy,” you might think, but good luck checking all those boxes in your Italian stallion.

For any car, a road trip and all its phases, conditions, and diverse challenges can be a true gauntlet. You see a car in its entirety—the highs and lows that can only be found with hours and hours behind the wheel in a single go. The NSX is commonly praised as a daily-driveable supercar, but we’ll go one step further and say that this is the supercar you want to travel in. Even though you’ll never see the words “grand tourer” in the marketing materials, it more than delivers.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
strong airconditioning.

justnspace (08-11-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 11:13 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
charliemike (08-13-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 07:41 AM
AZ Community Team

Good post SSFTSX, those are kinds of links/posts we wanna see.
Costco (08-13-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 11:54 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Good post SSFTSX, those are kinds of links/posts we wanna see.
Lol you could have asked me!
The following 2 users liked this post by iforyou:
charliemike (08-13-2019), Legend2TL (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 09:40 AM
AZ Community Team

^
Old 08-15-2019, 04:38 PM
AZ Community Team

Refreshed Acura NSX Review: Earning our respect

vealboy (02-15-2020)
Old 08-20-2019, 03:05 PM
AZ Community Team

2019 Acura NSX - Review & Road Test

vealboy (02-15-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 08:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Cool MotorTrend

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acur...mparison-test/

Green Is Good: Acura NSX vs. BMW i8 vs. Lexus LC 500h vs. Polestar 1

Yes, it’s possible. These 4 cars prove ‘hybrid fun’ is not an oxymoron.

Christian SeabaughWordsJade NelsonPhotos
Jan 20, 2020
I blame the Prius. I know—the word "hybrid" is enough to make your eyes glaze over. You're probably even second-guessing your decision to read this article. You're thinking these will be compromise cars, like getting tofu sausage and a kale shake with your pancakes.

But hybrids don't have to suck. When engineers flip the switch from green to mean, from fuel economy to performance, pairing an electric motor—or 3—with a gas engine is a recipe for more power, more torque, and more efficiency. What's not to love? Hybrid race cars have even won the grueling 24 Hours of Le Mans.

As the industry makes the inevitable transition to electric cars, hybrids—especially performance hybrids—are the automotive equivalent of breakfast for dinner. They may be more complicated and heavier than gas-only sports cars, but they're also charming in their own right.

So we gathered up the 4 sport hybrids with the most performance potential to see which is best. Each, as you'll soon see, has a unique approach to the electrification equation.

The 2020 Acura NSX, 2019 BMW i8 Coupe, 2020 Lexus LC 500h, and 2020 Polestar 1 currently represent the pinnacle of performance hybrids and automotive complexity. Are they pricey? Absolutely. But so is any high-end sports car or grand tourer.
Together these four cars share 4 turbochargers, a supercharger, 19 cylinders, 8 transmissions, and 9 electric motors. They average 479 horsepower, 496 lb-ft of torque, a 4.0-second 0-60 run, and a combined fuel economy of 46 mpg.

Although I appreciate numbers, they tell just half of the story. Only driving these cars back to back can tell us which one offers the best experience and whether any can hold a candle to the longstanding truth of displacement-based horsepower machines.

To find out, we took these four sports cars on our favorite—and wildfire-scarred—driving roads that swerve and dip in the hills above Malibu, then to the test track. Do hybrids represent a potential long-term powertrain solution, or are they merely a brief waypoint on our route to an all-electric future? We're about to find out.

4th Place: 2020 Lexus LC 500h

A Head Start Squandered

By all accounts, Lexus—and parent company Toyota—ought to be building the best hybrids in the world. Toyota was first to come to market with a mass-produced hybrid, the 1997 Prius in Japan. What followed were fuel economy theories shattered and millions of Priuses sold. Nearly every Toyota or Lexus model now offers the company's vaunted Hybrid Synergy Drive.

Even by the middle of the last decade, with everyone else also offering a hybrid, the Prius alone still accounted for more than 40 percent of the hybrid market share in the United States. That long history of hybrid know-how and sales success primed us with anticipation for the 2020 Lexus LC 500h—and it would help explain our disappointment with it, as well.

Quite simply, we want more.

On the face of it, the LC 500h, Lexus' flagship hybrid, has a lot to offer. For starters, its classic long-hood, short-deck, rear-drive coupe profile is absolutely stunning. Even in our tester's dull Atomic Silver, the LC's taut, sweeping sheetmetal is arguably one of the prettiest designs to come out of Japan in the past decade.

The cabin is even better. "Holy cow, does it punch above its weight," associate online editor Stefan Ogbac said. "I'd even argue that it deserves to be a pricier car." Featuring a beautiful mix of colors, textures, and materials—and ignoring its dumpster fire (but finally CarPlay-friendly) infotainment system—the LC 500h is the clear bargain of this quartet at its as-tested price of $100,605.

Unfortunately, the LC 500h's powertrain isn't as thoughtfully integrated as its design. One of two traditional hybrids here, the Lexus uses a Hybrid Synergy Drive-derived system that works like this: Power from the corporate 3.5-liter V-6 gets combined with that of 2 electric motors in an e-CVT. It then flows through a four-speed automatic, with the whole thing supposedly programmed to provide the feel of 10 traditional gear ratios. A little 1-kW-hr lithium-ion battery pack mounted between the rear seats and trunk backs up the system. Total output is 354 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque, and combined EPA fuel economy is 30 mpg.

The Lexus is at its best when you don't ask much of it. When slicing through traffic around town or on the highway, the LC's dance between engine and motor and through all that complex gearing is relatively unobtrusive. The car feels quick and nimble, with light, natural steering and relaxed ride quality. Sadly, "EV mode" is a joke, only working up to about 15 mph with a feathered throttle.

Open it up on a built-to-thrill road, and the LC falls apart quicker than my last woodworking project. Ignoring the shrill soundtrack piped into the cabin in Sport+ mode, it seems like none of the LC's powerplants or transmissions like being paired with one another. The main electric drive motor is underpowered and thus unable to make up for the V-6's complete lack of low-end torque. The LC's transmission is also overcomplicated; one senses conflict between the surging of the e-CVT and the rough clunks of the 4-speed planetary automatic as you attempt to build up a decent pace on a good road.

The Lexus' chassis and suspension tuning can't keep up, either. "As soon as we started charging up the hill, the chassis and driveline fell to pieces," road test editor (and very fast man) Chris Walton said. "Understeer in this corner, oversteer in that one. There was absolutely no chance of keeping up with the NSX or i8 in front of me."

Ultimately the LC, as my dad was always fond of saying, is all show and no go. The potential for a great sports car is there (the V-8 LC 500 proves it), but the LC 500h will never get there with this hybrid system. Although Lexus has squandered its early lead in hybrid technology, it thankfully has lots it can learn from our top three finishers.

3rd Place: 2019 BMW i8 Coupe

Weird for Weird's Sake

It's hard to believe, but BMW deserves the lion's share of the credit for establishing this segment. Its i8, when it launched in 2014, was the 1st car that answered the question of what a performance hybrid would (or should) look like.

Space age, it turns out. Even 5 years after its debut, the carbon-fiber-bodied i8 looks simultaneously modern and futuristic (though who knew the future is full of blind spots and high-silled carbon tub and sitting-in-the-bathtub seats?).

Underneath the carbon butterfly doors and Formula 1-inspired aerodynamics sits a mid-mounted 1.5-liter turbocharged I-3 (exactly half of BMW's classic straight-six) bolted to an electric motor and a 6-speed automatic transaxle responsible for driving the rear wheels. Up front sits one more electric motor, driving the front wheels through a two-speed automatic gearbox. Tying the system together is an 11.6-kW-hr lithium-ion battery mounted between and underneath the front seats to keep the center of gravity low.

Updated for 2019 with more battery capacity, EV range, and power, the i8 plug-in hybrid (PHEV)—essentially a hybrid with a bigger battery that you can plug in, allowing for significantly more time spent cruising with the engine off—now sports a total system output of 369 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque. Electric-only range is up to 17 miles before the I-3 fires up. Its EPA score is a test-best 69 mpg-e (a fuel economy score averaging electricity and gas usage).

Although the i8 impressed us when it 1st hit the streets, our top 2 finishers prove that more is possible from a performance hybrid. A good mid-engine car is typically well balanced and capable of pushing hard into a corner, settling, and rocketing out quickly.

Yet the i8 never really settles down when driven hard. Steering feel is artificial, the chassis firm, the suspension flinty. Combine that with its relatively narrow-profile front tires, and the i8 fights you instead of working with you on a winding road, pushing and clawing for grip in areas where the top two contenders weren't.

The i8's 2 motors, 2 transmissions, and one engine wasn't our favorite powertrain, either. Although they provided good off-the-line torque and zippy performance when dicing through traffic, the i8's engine and motors don't deliver the high-end power we expect from a carbon-bodied, mid-engine BMW. Instead of complementing each other, the i8's I-3 and motors all seem to run out of steam at the same time, just north of 60 mph.
A close-ratio 8-speed gearbox in back could likely help make more of less, but adding power seems like the far simpler solution.

Ultimately, the BMW i8 paved the way for all 4 of these performance hybrids, but as editor-in-chief Mark Rechtin puts it, the i8's performance, "while sporty, doesn't live up to the intergalactic styling of the exterior." Thankfully, our top 2 finishers deliver on all promises.

2nd Place: 2020 Polestar 1

The Future of the GT Is Here

In a lot of ways, the Polestar 1 represents the best of what both Lexus and BMW have to offer.

Like the Lexus, it's a beautifully designed and luxurious three-box grand touring coupe. Its design was derived from a 2013 concept by parent brand Volvo, but it's nevertheless clean, crisp, and modern-looking on the road 7 years later. Like the BMW, it's a super-efficient plug-in hybrid. Unlike the BMW and Lexus, it's a well-balanced sport tourer with the power and performance credentials to back up its sheetmetal.

Built almost entirely of carbon fiber to keep its weight down, the Polestar 1 nonetheless packs on the pounds with 2 battery packs totaling a test-best 34 kW-hr of capacity, a front-mounted super/turbocharged I-4, an eight-speed automatic transmission to transmit power to the front wheels and the batteries, and an electric motor and planetary gearset at each rear wheel.

Total system output is 619 hp and 738 lb-ft of torque, with a Polestar-claimed electric-only range of 65 miles. If that number passes muster with the EPA, that'd make the 1 the PHEV with the longest electric-only range on the market. Granted, it'll set you back $156,500, but look at what you get.

It would be fair to say that Volvo has never really been known as a purveyor of sporting cars, but Polestar, Volvo's performance subbrand (and the face of Volvo and parent company Geely's new electrification effort), is. It cut its teeth building touring cars starting in the '90s. And given the Polestar's weight, we expected the 1 to be a far more capable grand tourer than canyon carver. Yet the Polestar delivers on all fronts.

"I was really hoping it wouldn't drive like a Volvo, and it doesn't," Walton said. "The Öhlins suspension doesn't do that brittle/crashing thing other Volvo Polestars do, the body motions are very well controlled, and the steering has a bit of heft to it—the good kind." Although the manually adjustable Öhlins shocks deserve most of the credit for the handling prowess, the twin rear motors help a ton, providing instant torque vectoring that makes the Polestar feel smaller than it is.

The Polestar's powertrain is even more impressive. More so than any other car in the test, the 1 feels like an electric car first and a hybrid second. The rear motors make a combined 232 hp and 354 lb-ft of torque, giving the Polestar plenty of power and battery capacity to get around on electrons alone. With the engine on and the Polestar in Power mode, the gas and electric integration is seamless—the motors mask any of the engine's low-end weakness, and the engine quickly takes over from where the motors leave off.

The Polestar's powerplants pull hard in a straight line, but they really come alive on a switchback-ridden road, where the torque vectoring, instantaneous power delivery, big Akebono brakes, and tremendous grip from the all-wheel-drive system help the 1 dive hard into a corner and claw itself out just as fast. A car that weighs as much as a Jeep Gladiator shouldn't rotate this quickly, yet the Polestar continually lives up to the brand's origins as a Volvo race team. Best seats of the bunch, too.

So what relegated the Polestar 1 to spot No. 2? Simply put, our No. 1 finisher is a more engaging, dynamic, and thrilling hybrid performance car.

1st Place: 2020 Acura NSX

Eureka, Acura Found It!

To say the second-gen Acura NSX had a rough start would be an understatement. From 2007 to the time it hit the streets a decade later, the NSX evolved 3 times as Acura attempted to figure out just what a modern NSX should be.

The mid-engine hybrid supercar Honda Motor would end up launching had the immense challenge living up to the crushing reputation of the original.

It didn't help that NSX 2.0 was under-tired, prone to plow, and lacked the original's organic nature. In our 2016 Best Driver's Car competition, the NSX suffered a disappointing 8th-place finish, as our staff waited for the "Eureka!" of the new-age sports car experience that never came.

So, how did the 2020 NSX topple the Polestar 1, BMW i8, and Lexus LC 500h?

You can thank Acura's 2019 update for that. Thicker anti-roll bars help cure the car's tendency to understeer, stickier tires improve grip and steering feel, and a rethink of many of the car's electronic control systems capture a touch of that sparkle that made the original so special.

The changes work hand in hand with the NSX's unchanged hybrid powertrain. A mid-mounted 3.5-liter twin-turbo V-6 paired with an electric motor and 9-speed dual-clutch automatic drive the rear wheels, and up front an electric motor drives each front wheel. A small 1.3-kW-hr battery between the engine bay and cabin scavenges electricity for the powertrain. Total system output is 573 hp and 476 lb-ft of torque.

We had to wait a while for Acura to get the NSX's ride and handling balance sorted, but that wait was worth it. The NSX's magnetic shocks help the supercar feel as docile as a Honda Accord around town and as buttoned down as a Civic Type R on a good road. "The suspension is terrific and 'breathes' so well," Walton said. "Docile, compliant, and, even in Race mode, it's no harsher than a Porsche 911 in Comfort mode."

The Acura also handles better than before, too, with light and precise steering ("McLaren-like," Walton adds) with none of the pesky plow and lack of feel that the pre-refresh car suffered from.

As good as the chassis changes are, the NSX's powertrain is the star of the show. Despite the immense complexity of ensuring 3 motors, 2 turbos, 6 cylinders, and 9 gears play nice with 1 another, the Acura's powertrain is nearly organic in its responsiveness.

The linear way the NSX delivers power is truly impressive. The Acura's three motors provide a strong, forceful shove off the line as the turbos whoosh behind your head, building up boost. Just as the electric motors start to wane, the V-6 begins to howl, with the full boost of the turbos taking over. Shifts from the close-ratio 9-speed gearbox snap off instantly as the V-6 growls to its 7,500-rpm redline, and the whole process begins again. The end result is a tremendously powerful drivetrain that feels, well, naturally aspirated.

Aside from the obvious acceleration advantages, the NSX's motors also make it a better handler. Just as the Polestar's twin rear motors provide instant torque vectoring, the Acura's twin front motors do the same, independently distributing power through bends and helping give the NSX a disgusting amount of midcorner grip—providing the driver with a magnificent amount of confidence while pushing the car harder down a back road.

Inside, the interior interfaces are beginning to look a bit dated compared to the Polestar's Volvophile user experience, but ultimately it's the NSX's confidence-inspiring performance, combined with the engineering voodoo that turned the Acura's four separate powerplants into 1 cohesive team, that helped Team Acura earn its redemption and victory.

On nearly every metric, both objective and subjective, the NSX outclasses the Polestar, BMW, and Lexus. It's quicker, sharper, and sportier than its electrified rivals. Most important, it's more fun to drive. Although the Acura is the least fuel-efficient car here, the NSX's seamless powertrain integration ought to provide a good model for others to follow as we enter a new decade and inch ever closer to an internal combustionless future.

Sharp-eyed readers will notice that our order of finishing also matches the field's escalation in as-tested price. That is coincidental. Our grading in performance, drivability, and livability among our finishers was more about how well the hybrid technology was applied than about optional features and benefits (though the Lexus' 50 grand discount from the rest of the field is indeed notable). In the case of the NSX, however, the quality of its hybrid technology easily distances it from the rest of the field.

If you'd asked any one of us a decade ago if an electrified sports car could ever be as engaging as a gas-powered car, you'd have gotten a resounding no. (Call it the Prius factor.) But as the NSX, Polestar 1, i8, and LC 500h prove, the future doesn't have to be scary. Or boring.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Cool Spider

https://carbuzz.com/news/acura-nsx-s...coming-in-2021

Acura NSX Spider Finally Coming In 2021?

34 mins ago by Martin Bigg Convertible / 1 CommentIt could be a long wait for the topless Acura NSX to arrive.

The Acura NSX has been on sale since the 2018 model year, but the Japanese automaker needs to do something drastic to boost sales. Just 170 NSX models were sold in 2018, increasing to 238 in 2019. Expanding the lineup would no doubt increase interest in Acura's mid-engine supercar. There have been rumors that Acura is cooking up a hot Type R version of the NSX with more power and sportier styling, but nothing has been officially announced yet.

But what about the long-awaited convertible version of the Acura NSX? Rumors about a topless Acura NSX have been circulating for years now ever since the Acura NSX Roadster Concept was made for Hollywood blockbuster 'The Avengers' back in 2012.

Acura
Acura
Acura

Back in 2018, rumors suggested the production Acura NSX Roadster was going to make its world debut by the end of that year, but Acura still hasn't officially announced anything. This latest rumor suggests that the Honda NSX Spider will debut in June 2021. Potentially, it could debut at the 2021 Detroit Auto Show since the American motor show has moved from January to June from this year, but this seems too faraway considering how late this will be in the current Acura NSX's model lifecycle.

Gemballa Has Created Insane Cars Over The Years

Greatest Jeep Wrangler Special Editions
Acura
Acura
Acura

That said, Acura has been caught testing a prototype NSX believed to be the more powerful Type R, so new NSX variants could still be on the horizon. Hopefully, it won't be long until a camouflaged Acura NSX Spider prototype makes its spy photo debut.

If Acura is planning to put an NSX Spider into production, it will no doubt share the same 3.5-liter turbocharged V6 hybrid setup as its fixed-roof sibling, which produces 573 hp and 476 lb-ft of torque. 0-62 mph in the Acura NSX takes three seconds flat before reaching a top speed of 191 mph. Due to the extra strengthening required that will inevitably add extra weight, the Acura NSX Spider will be slightly slower off the line.

Acura
Acura

Legend2TL (05-30-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 01:07 PM
AZ Community Team

Acura NSX Review: Pricing, Specs, Interior and More!

kinda of a whiny reviewer
Old 06-22-2020, 12:32 PM
AZ Community Team

Old 08-31-2020, 04:44 PM
AZ Community Team

2020 Acura NSX Suspension Deep Dive

Dan Edmunds does great suspension engineering analysis.
Worth watching the video as well.
Oh and all those amazing forged aluminum control arms and mult-balljoint knuckles.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/13/...ion-deep-dive/

The following 2 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
justnspace (08-31-2020), Yumcha (08-31-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

More speculation on the Type R: https://www.motor1.com/news/444028/a...type-r-spider/
Old 09-16-2020, 12:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,428 Likes on 1,878 Posts
Exciting news, but I'm confused...didn't Ikeda or someone from Acura say they wouldn't do a Type-R, and that Type-R is Honda's track-focused thing whereas Type-S is Acura's performance/luxury blend thing?

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like it was said by someone from Honda, not Acura.

Even so, Kakinoma says Honda is unlikely to share the Type R nameplate with Acura on future products.

“When it comes to the Acura brand, Type S is used to dictate a performance flagship, not Type R,” the engineer told Motor1.com.
https://www.motor1.com/news/399596/h...ame-expansion/

Last edited by fiatlux; 09-16-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:33 PM
AZ Community Team

Classic Spy Photos Of The Week: Aborted Acura NSX With V10 Engine

https://sports.yahoo.com/classic-spy...183130126.html

The following 2 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
nist7 (10-10-2020), Yumcha (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 12:54 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,144 Likes on 817 Posts
It's good that the above NSX didn't make it to the market, for it looked too civilized. The current NSX looks way more aggressive with its sharp aero styling.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:32 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Indy Yellow is such a stunning color!

Quick Reply: Acura: NSX News