AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Acura: Development and Technology News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/acura-development-technology-news-396703/)

cltypeSLOW 08-04-2008 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by phile
:agree: And in the areas they lack, they need t make it up somewhere else. Obviously with no true RWD vehicle, there's no way they can compete. But at least make it desirable - give it styling, pay attention to the small details. Look at the jewel headlamps in the G35 sedan. Look at the LEDs popping up all over the newer Audis. It's about looking cool. I can't say the new TL or TSX have that. The RDX completely missed the boat when it could've had that. And the RL is just DOA.

I have no problem with the power plenum grille - but it's the lack of details that's killing it. The MDX grille was incredible - the dimples on that shield have never been seen before. It was such a bold statement. And yet, all the rest of the new Acuras get the big faux metal grille, and that's it. What happened?!

im with you man. amen.

Alperovich 08-04-2008 09:24 PM

you guy relieze that they are talking about the new we've been seeing around right? ever pay attention to the roof line of the new TL? its coupeish. they are just raising hype. its still gonna have the ugly as grill right? then STFU and give us something better please. I'll take my G2 Legend over any new acura coupe or sedan. thank you very much.

TSX69 08-05-2008 07:56 AM

Acura's X6 Fighter Spied

http://www.motorauthority.com/wp-con...hots_small.jpg
Acura Working on X6 Rival?
Acura confirmed yesterday plans to expand its lineup with several all-new models in an attempt to rival more established tier 1 luxury brands such as its German rivals, which currently offer full range lineups. Acura’s lineup is limited to a handful of sedans and a pair of SUVs but the next couple of years will be very busy as the company prepares for the launch of a new coupe, a supercar and, according to these latest spy shots, a new crossover.

Spy photographers have managed to spot a new Acura prototype for a crossover model that’s expected to feature dramatic coupe-like styling similar to BMW’s X6. Caught testing in the U.S., the latest prototype sports an extremely low roofline that starts to descend after the B-pillar and will give the car a coupe-like profile.

Acura is yet to reveal any specific details about a new crossover model, however the company’s vice president for corporate planning and logistics, Dan Bonawitz, confirmed yesterday that the first all-new model would be launched in 2010. Industry experts are predicting the car will be a new 2+2 coupe with a starting price of around $50,000.

phile 08-05-2008 08:51 AM

Fail.

Costco 08-05-2008 11:09 AM

Wow, seriously? I can't believe there are tools out there that would buy such a useless SUV like the X6.... enough for Acura to actually want to make a competitor to it? :huh:

Industry trends. :whyme:

JediMindTricks 08-05-2008 11:13 AM

:yawn:

biker 08-05-2008 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by TSX69
Spy photographers have managed to spot a new Acura prototype for a crossover model that’s expected to feature dramatic coupe-like styling similar to BMW’s X6. Caught testing in the U.S., the latest prototype sports an extremely low roofline that starts to descend after the B-pillar and will give the car a coupe-like profile.

Jeez folks - call it what it is already, it's not a bad word - it's a wagon. Sure, just what Acura needs, another SUV. :rolleyes: :whyme:

Costco 08-05-2008 12:14 PM

I wonder if they can outdo the RDX's horrific styling... maybe an even uglier more angular RDX, topped off with the new guillotine grill? :puke:

LuvMyTSX 08-05-2008 01:00 PM

They should have just saved themselves the trouble and brought over the Accord Tourer.

With all the vehicles they are "missing" in their lineup, they choose to bring out another crossover first? Great idea. :whyme: FAIL

krio 08-05-2008 01:11 PM

it doesn't look like a SUV, it's too low.
it looks like an Audi Allroad...
the TL Allroad?? :rofl:

Edward'TLS 08-05-2008 01:52 PM

Big SUV's are on the decline, what is Acura thinking ?

krio 08-05-2008 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Big SUV's are on the decline, what is Acura thinking ?

like the X6? already sold out for the 2008...
Or the Q7, or the ML?
the only SUV really in decline are the big, fat, american ones with 4,5,6,7 and 8L engines...
the Merc, BMW, Audi, VW and so on, feel very good... because of the diesel engines.

onebadna1nsx 08-05-2008 02:22 PM

crossover reminds me of one of those cars that carry the caskets...

Sclass88 08-05-2008 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by onebadna1nsx
crossover reminds me of one of those cars that carry the caskets...

A hurse?

:bye: Acura

EL19 08-05-2008 03:55 PM

this is actually good news. That means that there may key word there may be other cars that they have been working on that havent been road tested. Just pray

Trackruner228 08-05-2008 03:59 PM

How do we know thats an Acura?

krio 08-05-2008 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
How do we know thats an Acura?

the wheels are like the one on the MDX and the RDX.
the front fascia, the front lights...
if you remember the early spy shots of the TL 09 in July 2007, they are very similar to these...

Trackruner228 08-05-2008 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by krio
the wheels are like the one on the MDX and the RDX.
the front fascia, the front lights...
if you remember the early spy shots of the TL 09 in July 2007, they are very similar to these...

Oh wow I didnt click the link to see the more pics but yeah your right the front does look like the spy spots of the 09 TL.

Edward'TLS 08-05-2008 04:40 PM

like the X6? already sold out for the 2008...
Or the Q7, or the ML?
the only SUV really in decline are the big, fat, american ones with 4,5,6,7 and 8L engines...
the Merc, BMW, Audi, VW and so on, feel very good... because of the diesel engines.

X6 are sold out because it's the new kid on the block. Even premium big European SUV's are dropping in sales, even though not as severe as the American ones. This is because the latest waves of high gas price has disposed of all those wealthy-wanna-be who can barely afford the premium vehicles. All those left are the real wealthy ones who don't care $hit about gas prices. As a result, sales will only fall, not rise.

BMW has just announced the cancellation of the X7 SUV program. This is telling something about the future of big SUV's : American's or not.

TMQ 08-05-2008 05:56 PM

X6 is not planned for large production anyway. About 600 units per month. Niche market. You can order one, I don't know about sold out for 2008, that doesn't seem possible.

If Acura is going after X6, then I'd say Acura is really losing it. They need a coupe/vert, and IMO the TSX is the right size. I will guess AWD or FWD, but if it's coming in 2010 for MY 2011, maybe we can hope it has a RWD platform.

As for a 4-dr coupe, how many 4-drs do Acura need?

supraken 08-05-2008 10:51 PM

Aside from the RWD/AWD platform and v8, I think Acura needs to work on those fender flares so that the wheel gaps on their cars doesn't make it look like an SUV. The German's have been pretty good at keeping wheel/fender clearance while giving it a tight wheel gap look by manipulating the fender flares..

krio 08-06-2008 01:58 AM

We may be not happy about the direction that Acura is taking with the new styling.
But I considere however THIS year particolarly interesting for us.
In 2007 we heard and saw NOTHING from Acura, except some spies of the 09 TSX and TL.
In the 2008 we got:
January - the (ugly) RL restyling.
April - the (strange) TSX 09.
July-September - the (?) TL 09.
Spies of the next Supercar by Acura (NSX?)
Spies of an all new crossover (?)
Rumors about a new 2 or 4 door coupe for the next year derived from the TSX,TL, RL.

There is NO ONE week without some informations, or news or hints about Acura range and future models.
I think it's great.
And it is the BIGGEST change in the marketing stratagy of Acura from the boring last few years.

mltk53 08-06-2008 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
:yawn:

x2

TSX69 08-06-2008 05:45 AM

Word

We may be not happy about the direction that Acura is taking with the new styling.
But I considere however THIS year particolarly interesting for us.
In 2007 we heard and saw NOTHING from Acura, except some spies of the 09 TSX and TL.
In the 2008 we got:
January - the (ugly) RL restyling.
April - the (strange) TSX 09.
July-September - the (?) TL 09.
Spies of the next Supercar by Acura (NSX?)
Spies of an all new crossover (?)
Rumors about a new 2 or 4 door coupe for the next year derived from the TSX,TL, RL.

There is NO ONE week without some informations, or news or hints about Acura range and future models.
I think it's great.
And it is the BIGGEST change in the marketing stratagy of Acura from the boring last few years.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing recently. Acura really seems to be making waves lately. @ least they are finally starting to walk the walk & not just talking the talk.

TMQ 08-06-2008 11:12 AM

Hopefully Acura is learning from BMW, who always comes out with something new every few months and the spy photos circulate often. It helps that BMW offers many interesting variants of its vehicles, and that it has a lineup of 9 base models.

Edward'TLS 08-06-2008 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by TMQ
Hopefully Acura is learning from BMW, who always comes out with something new every few months and the spy photos circulate often. It helps that BMW offers many interesting variants of its vehicles, and that it has a lineup of 9 base models.

The most important bit to learn from BMW is a wide range of engine choices for each vehicle line, from a small V6 all the way to the outrageous powered V10/V12.

TSX69 08-06-2008 12:09 PM

6 Months

I think that Acura is on to both of your points. They previously stated that they would have a new vehicle every 6 months. This should include not only new vehicles like this CUV but also variants such as Type S & diesel.

Took them long enough to get on the ball ...

dom 08-06-2008 12:14 PM

Based off the Accord = No care.

TMQ 08-06-2008 04:43 PM

The most important bit to learn from BMW is a wide range of engine choices for each vehicle line, from a small V6 all the way to the outrageous powered V10/V12.

Very true.

Of course, BMW has no V6. Only Inline 6. V12 from the current 7 series will not be continued. BMW has lots of engine variants, but soon will be very simple. The future of BMW engines are with the twin turbos, whether it's for a small I4, the current sweet 3.0L I6, the big V8, or the diesel. Power and efficiency.

Acura better improve its turbo(s). Is Honda still an engine company? When is the last time Honda won an international engine of the year award?

A new model will be as exciting as the powertrain and chassis. The RWD and twin turbo I6 is exciting and useful for the 1, 3, 5, and 7 series. What will Acura bring?

Newbee 08-06-2008 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by TMQ
A new model will be as exciting as the powertrain and chassis. The RWD and twin turbo I6 is exciting and useful for the 1, 3, 5, and 7 series. What will Acura bring?

crappy trannies

Edward'TLS 08-06-2008 06:21 PM

Any news of Acura planning to release any high tech dual-clutch (DSG-type - I know Honda will always name it differently) auto transmission, 6- or 7-speed, to try to play catch up with the other auto makers ? Now that even VW is putting them on the new Golf's.

Moog-Type-S 08-06-2008 06:24 PM

Any news of Acura planning to release any high tech dual-clutch (DSG-type - I know Honda will always name it differently) auto transmission, 6- or 7-speed, to try to play catch up with the other auto makers ? Now that even VW is putting them on the new Golf's.

Please oh Please!!!!!!!!!! Honda do NOT try to create a DSG gearbox...outsource it! Honda's history with new gearbox(s) are HORRIBLE!!!!!

FIY The 6 speed DSG gearbox is already currently in the GTI, & GLI.

It's quite nice. :toocool:

krio 08-07-2008 02:12 AM

I think that Acura is on to both of your points. They previously stated that they would have a new vehicle every 6 months. This should include not only new vehicles like this CUV but also variants such as Type S & diesel.

Took them long enough to get on the ball ...

a little bit confused I am...
The 2 or 4 door coupe' they were talking about on the web, and the spies of the CUV, SUV, or what else... they are the SAME car, or 2 different new models...?? :scratch:

biker 08-07-2008 02:17 AM

^ who knows at this point. More info should come out come car show circuit time.

GreenMonster 08-07-2008 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by dom
Based off the Accord = No care.

:werd: and crappy styling on top of it...

GreenMonster 08-07-2008 09:43 AM

Took them long enough to get on the ball ...[/COLOR] [/FONT]

:huh:

If you're making the assumption that the rumors are true, don't... You shouldn't count your eggs before they hatch. I've been waiting for a rumored "sub-nsx" since June 2003 (when the CL was discontinued) :rolleyes:

You really should base your opinion on Acura by the vehicles you can buy from them TODAY. I just don't see anything in the Acura line up right now (or for 2009) that interests me one bit. Nothing.

I wouldn't believe any rumors about future Acura vehicles until I see production versions on the dealer lots :2cents:

Maybe 5 years from now, we can look back and say "Acura finally got it", but Acura still has a LONG way to go

TSX69 08-07-2008 11:41 AM

On the Ball

I was referring more to the fact that there are 2 new spied vehicles out there right now. In the past few years that I have been paying attention to them, there has not been this much action ...

Knowing Acura, there is no telling what they are going to do to these vehicles that will make people groan but @ least they are doing something.

dom 08-07-2008 11:44 AM

They can make as many new models as they want. After all, how hard is it to dress up an Accord and slap a J series and good ole 5AT in there.

phile 08-07-2008 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by dom
They can make as many new models as they want. After all, how hard is it to dress up an Accord and slap a J series and good ole 5AT in there.

Apparently very hard. Look at the RL. And they still couldn't get it right.

dom 08-07-2008 12:00 PM

LoL..