AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Acura: Development and Technology News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/acura-development-technology-news-396703/)

Edward'TLS 02-19-2008 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
BUT, having said those things, in the face of the new energy confined world that we are facing, they are probably better positioned than anyone.

Honda has always been #1 in best fleet mileage in the US auto industry, but is rewarded by poor sales for the $50K "luxury" sedan in its "luxury" division. Why not take advantage of this fleet mileage and chuck in a couple of V8 and V10 vehicles, and still enjoy being in among the top fleet mileagers.

It is the true luxury auto makers such as BWM and MB that need to worry because of its huge fleet of V6, V8, and V12 vehicles. But then they don't need to worry because the wealthy buyers are willing to absorb all these environmental costs. BWM has already completely abandon the use of 4-cylinder engines in its US lineup. Even the smallish 1-series is using a V6 as the base engine. MB also has long abandon the use of 4-cylinder engines in all US vehicles larger than the sub-compact B-class. For the new C-class, the base V6 engine is no longer at 2.5L, but now at 3L.

The trend is that luxury vehicles are continuing to grow in engine size and horsepower, irrespect of what CAFE mileage is calling for. Wealthy people who can afford expensive luxury vehicles will treat gas-guzzling tax and even $5 per gallon as nothing compared to what they have spent on their luxo vehicles and the amount of money they are making. It is the average people who buy econo vehicles from the econo brands that are suffering bad from this increased CAFE mileage.

MeehowsBRZ 02-19-2008 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
The CL's were designed in the states for the states. We all know how well the CL did.

How could I forget such an iconic car?!
Always thought the first gen CL was designed by some guy who just woke up and drew a rough sketch and said "Well this looks like something, I'm going back to sleep".

Fibonacci 02-19-2008 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
But then they don't need to worry because the wealthy buyers are willing to absorb all these environmental costs.

The trend is that luxury vehicles are continuing to grow in engine size and horsepower, irrespect of what CAFE mileage is calling for.

The new CAFE rules haven't been fully phased in yet. I think producers have reached the point of diminishing returns on more weight and more power in the face of peak oil, whether CAFE was kicked up a notch or not.

Wealthy people who can afford expensive luxury vehicles will treat gas-guzzling tax and even $5 per gallon as nothing compared to what they have spent on their luxo vehicles and the amount of money they are making.
Agreed.

I never disagreed with the assessment that Acura needed to do a better job of differentiation from their Honda platforms. I simply said, from the perspective of sales and profits, management at Honda hasn't had the financial need to make any drastic changes. I concur that the RL is not a premier flagship vehicle, I also concur that they needed a V8 ten years ago, I also concur they need to leverage more off their f/r platform such as the S2K, not just make it a one-off vehicle, yada yada.

It is the average people who buy econo vehicles from the econo brands that are suffering bad from this increased CAFE mileage.
If I'm reading the CAFE rules correctly ALL consumers will suffer fewer choices in the future because of the new mandates. :yuck:

MaFreCoLa 02-19-2008 07:07 PM

As much as I want to see Acura succeed, I must say that they've got a loooong way to go.

agranado 02-19-2008 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Loseit
Water-S :what:

I didnt want to be the one to say it...

it was an informative post though, just hard to read...

Brandon24pdx 02-19-2008 07:44 PM

:blahblah:

phile 02-19-2008 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by mikeschicagoRL
How could I forget such an iconic car?!
Always thought the first gen CL was designed by some guy who just woke up and drew a rough sketch and said "Well this looks like something, I'm going back to sleep".

:dunno: even to this day I find the 1st gen very attractive. 2nd gen on the other hand...plain, bloated, boring...pretty much what Acuras have become.

gavriil 02-19-2008 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by mikeschicagoRL
I just don't believe that the people running Acura over in Japan want to give the keys to Acura over to anyone in the states. It took them FOREVER to just let them design a car for the NA market (3G TL) and since then there's only been 2 more NA designed Acura's (MDX and RDX). Since the brand is making money selling rebadged Honda Accords there is no fiscal reasoning to the Honda overlords to let the brand be its own real automotive brand. It's kind of like how Ford rebadges everything with a Mercury logo and charges a higher price for it. And we all know how thats working out.

The MDX is sold elsewhere, outside America under the Honda brand. Like in Australia for example.

TMQ 02-20-2008 10:13 AM

Acura started off with a bang, Legend, Integra, and NSX. Then they were stuck on the Honda platforms. Model name change doesn't do it. MDX, 2004 TSX and TL have enough to keep consumers stay on. The new TSX and TL will probably do just barely enough.

Acura leadership is pretty lousy. Let's face it, it's still Honda, based on efficiency and reliability. In most cases, it seems Acura borrows technology from Honda. It should be the other way around.

JediMindTricks 02-20-2008 10:34 AM

i know that the legend name is, well....legendary.

but i like the names for the current acuras: RL, MDX, TL, TSX, RDX, etc.

sure it seems like they're just following the masses. but at least they're not using an alpha-numerical naming scheme.

and i bet if they started using words again, people will just complain that they're too similar to honda.

mrdeeno 02-20-2008 10:39 AM

Those are just names.

The product is what counts. Take the "Legend" and "Integra", for example. Great cars made great names. You can rename a pile of dung "Legend", it would still be a pile of dung. You can name a great car "RL", and "RL" would become a great name based on the car it symbolizes.

JediMindTricks 02-20-2008 10:44 AM

Those are just names.

The product is what counts. Take the "Legend" and "Integra", for example. Great cars made great names. You can rename a pile of dung "Legend", it would still be a pile of dung. You can name a great car "RL", and "RL" would become a great name based on the car it symbolizes.

i agree. but my post was more in response to criticism of the names that i read here and hear at work.

halfaznguy87 02-20-2008 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by swift22
are you crazy or was this sarcastic.?

Well look at GM now - a lot better then they were five years ago. Thanks to Lutz some of us would now consider buying a GM (2 Gen CTS). All I know is that under current management Acura isn't making much progress.. Lutz turned Cadillac once again into a tier 1 luxury brand and there's more to come.. So yeah I would consider hiring Lutz who has a proven reputation. Now is this likely -probably not..

"are you crazy" is there something I'm missing here regarding my opinion?? :scratch:

GreenMonster 02-20-2008 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by MaFreCoLa
As much as I want to see Acura succeed, I must say that they've got a loooong way to go.

Acura has been out since 1986.. the same year that the Hyundai brand started... Acura was spun off of Honda, while Hyundai started from scratch. You would think Acura would have their shit in order by now :shrug:

You don't hear Hyundai talking about a "huge shift to tier 1 luxury"... but they have a V8 RWD luxury sedan before Acura does... and Hyundai isn't even considered a luxury brand...

Acura is just lost, while those Koreans don't talk the talk, but instead walk the walk...actions do speak louder than words...

Fibonacci 02-20-2008 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Acura has been out since 1986.. the same year that the Hyundai brand started...

IMO, that's a tad harsh. :2cents:

I mark their slow move to inconsequential in 2005, the last year they built the NSX...

Mansa24 02-20-2008 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by TMQ
Acura started off with a bang, Legend, Integra, and NSX.

Integra? IMO, the Integra hurt Acura's image. It was a nice little car, but it should have worn the Honda badge.

Ikko 02-20-2008 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Acura has been out since 1986.. the same year that the Hyundai brand started... Acura was spun off of Honda, while Hyundai started from scratch. You would think Acura would have their shit in order by now :shrug:

You don't hear Hyundai talking about a "huge shift to tier 1 luxury"... but they have a V8 RWD luxury sedan before Acura does... and Hyundai isn't even considered a luxury brand...

Acura is just lost, while those Koreans don't talk the talk, but instead walk the walk...actions do speak louder than words...

Um...Hyundai starting importing cars in the US in '86. They've been building cars long before that! Just saying!

BraveDemon 02-20-2008 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mansa24
Integra? IMO, the Integra hurt Acura's image. It was a nice little car, but it should have worn the Honda badge.

:werd:

I have to agree. Althought I think the Integra, (esp the ITR) was a wonderful car, the fact that it sat squarely below the industry's "luxury vehicle" standard, ultimately stuck Acura into the "bargain luxury" category; a category they seemingly can't escape.

To make a 'huge shift' to tier 1, they'd need to literally revamp their entire line up; preferrably go RWD with more engine options... think Hyundai, they should do what Hyundai is doing with the BH platform.

You know... what ever happened to that other ridiculous thread about Acura benchmarking Maybach or whatever? This is nothing new from Acura: its just all "puffery" to sucker people into thinking that Acura is a true lux competitor.

charliemike 02-20-2008 11:22 PM

Are we talking about the later gen Integras? The first-gen ones were nicer than anything else out there in that class. Maybe not quite BMW but better than Toyota, Honda (except the CRX Si and Prelude), and Nissan. American? Forget it. They couldn't carry the Integra's jock.

BraveDemon 02-21-2008 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by charliemike
Are we talking about the later gen Integras? The first-gen ones were nicer than anything else out there in that class. Maybe not quite BMW but better than Toyota, Honda (except the CRX Si and Prelude), and Nissan. American? Forget it. They couldn't carry the Integra's jock.

I'm talking about the last gen integra (95-01? Not sure about the years).

I mean literally, the interior reminded me of my moms old Accord; the model with after the pop up lights. The dash, clock, window modules looked almost identical.

The first gen integras were a little before my time.

Costco 02-21-2008 03:33 AM

Those are just names.

Just like people used to buy :turd: MBs well into the early 2000s when it was glaringly apparent that their QC went down the drain? Your reasoning is correct, but does not apply to the majority of the car market.

Ashburner 02-21-2008 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
But my problem is that cars keep growing larger. The current Civic is the size of the old Accord. The current Accord is a full-size car. I feel like the extra size and extra weight is not always necessary.

Perhaps it just comes from my experience being crammed in a tiny little racing bucket with everything just a quick movement away but I like smaller cars. I like vehicles that fit like a glove and are light and responsive. I really don't want a car that is larger or heavier than the TSX if I can avoid it. Seems like that is going to be a pipe dream though...

I am 6'4" and completly comfotable in my Mazda3. Can't say the same for the Corolla or Civic as i did not fit in either.

GreenMonster 02-21-2008 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ikko
Um...Hyundai starting importing cars in the US in '86. They've been building cars long before that! Just saying!

A beautiful hypothesis destroyed by a single ugly fact :doh:

But you know what I was getting at :D

CGTSX2004 02-21-2008 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ashburner
I am 6'4" and completly comfotable in my Mazda3. Can't say the same for the Corolla or Civic as i did not fit in either.

See, and the Mazda 3 is a perfectly good example of a car that makes use of relatively small dimensions on the outside, but is quite roomy on the inside. There is no need for that car to get any bigger. However, odds are that the next generation car will get larger and heavier for no real reason at all.

JediMindTricks 02-21-2008 08:38 AM

See, and the Mazda 3 is a perfectly good example of a car that makes use of relatively small dimensions on the outside, but is quite roomy on the inside. There is no need for that car to get any bigger. However, odds are that the next generation car will get larger and heavier for no real reason at all.

seriously?

i guess because the 6 is going to get bigger?

:dunno:

how disappointing.

mrdeeno 02-21-2008 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Just like people used to buy :turd: MBs well into the early 2000s when it was glaringly apparent that their QC went down the drain? Your reasoning is correct, but does not apply to the majority of the car market.

When I meant pile of "dung", I didn't mean it from a quality/reliability standpoint...i meant as in "loser" or "runt".

People don't buy MB's because MB's are reliable forms of transportation. Reliability and value is a plus, but as long as the car isn't horrifically unreliable, there's no strike against it. This is what Acura misunderstood and lost after the Legend. People bought the Legend because it was a great car in more ways than just reliability and value...reliability and value was only "extra credit" to add to the reasons why people really spent $40k+ on the car. Honda misconstrued this as people buying the Legend primarily because it was reliable and had value (WAY WRONG!).

That's why the 1G RL is a pile of "dung" compared to the Legend. It's reliable and has value, but it did not have what made the Legend great...it did not stand out in any other way. Same with the 2G RL, it does not stand out in any other way in its market, and it does not even fit in correctly into its market segment which makes it worse. It may be reliable, it may have value, but compared to most of the midluxury market it's a pile of dung and sales prove that.

And that's my point. Had they designed a car that either stands out (in a positive way) or fits in perfectly in its particular market but offers more (such as more reliability or value), then no one would care what the name is, they'd buy it. An example of this...the TL. It fits in PERFECTLY into its particular market segment (where value is important) yet offers more value and reliability than most of the competition. What the hell is a "TL"? Who cares, it's a good car so people buy it no matter what its name.

mrdeeno 02-21-2008 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ikko

I think his point is Honda was building AND selling cars in the U.S. a long time before Hyundai started importing cars to the U.S. You would think the one with more experience selling cars in the American market would know what it takes to become a tier 1 luxury brand.

TSX69 02-21-2008 09:41 AM

Acura & Hyundai

I think his point is Honda was building AND selling cars in the U.S. a long time before Hyundai started importing cars to the U.S. You would think the one with more experience selling cars in the American market would know what it takes to become a tier 1 luxury brand.

Acura knows what it takes to be Tier 1, they just apparently do not care.

Hyundai has a goal & is trying to achieve it whereas Acura is ... well, never really sure what Acura is doing so you just have to learn to ignore what their people say bc their actions usually convey a different story.

TMQ 02-21-2008 12:14 PM

I am one of those who appear to criticize Acura a lot, but my criticism has mostly been going towards the RL.

I guess it was just a coincidence that when Legend became RL, the car design and performance went downhill from there. I guess TL pretty much carried the market segment left from Legend, and it's apparent that Honda/Acura can do the near luxury segment quite well, with its past success with Integra and recent success with TSX and TL.

Frankly, I think it was a mistake to abandon Integra/RSX. Acura may want to go upscale, but they should not do so by abandoning market segment (occupied by RSX and NSX). Now Acura has nothing to go against the likes of A3 and 1 series, and this market will continue to expand given the gas price and upcoming CAFE standards.

Acura should expand their product line to upper tiers, which the RL fails miserably. SHAWD is the one thing that helps, but the RL design and luxury level totally miss the boat by miles.

The MDX, on the other hand, is a great vehicle, especially the 2nd Gen, in terms of design, performance, and features. Even BMW enthusiasts admit it to be on par or slightly better than X5.

RDX is a decent vehicle, but the design isn't appealing, and the use of the turbo is surprising.

Acura needs to get its act together with a NSX successor, a coupe, and a luxury sedan. It's a lot of work, and I'm certain they have the ability, but I'm not certain about their desire/passion.

JediMindTricks 02-21-2008 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by TMQ
I am one of those who appear to criticize Acura a lot, but my criticism has mostly been going towards the RL.

I guess it was just a coincidence that when Legend became RL, the car design and performance went downhill from there. I guess TL pretty much carried the market segment left from Legend, and it's apparent that Honda/Acura can do the near luxury segment quite well, with its past success with Integra and recent success with TSX and TL.

Frankly, I think it was a mistake to abandon Integra/RSX. Acura may want to go upscale, but they should not do so by abandoning market segment (occupied by RSX and NSX). Now Acura has nothing to go against the likes of A3 and 1 series, and this market will continue to expand given the gas price and upcoming CAFE standards.

i think that acura did the right thing by removing the RSX. at the time, was the A3 even available for sale in the U.S.?

if acura wants go after that market, then maybe they'll make a new model. and besides, if they still sold the RSX, what would it be priced at? 20? low 20s?

the A3, at least, will get priced at or near 30, which is TSX territory.

an acura selling at low 20s or sub 20 would further damage the image and brand perception, in my opinion.

RDX is a decent vehicle, but the design isn't appealing, and the use of the turbo is surprising.
i agree that the exterior design isn't noteworthy. but looks are subjective. i know many that like the looks.

the turbo was a surprise, but i liked it. so much that i was hoping (and still hoping) that it will be in the next TSX.

but from speaking with other consumers and salespeople, what really turned buyers away from the RDX was its price and poor gas mileage.

:2cents:

EDIT: and who's the chick in your avy? ( :rofl: that's what people normally ask me...)

TMQ 02-21-2008 02:00 PM

(no idea about the avatar, some actress; I know yours is a TV woman; the later trouble with the RSX is that Civic grows in size and performance, and with the Civic Si, but it always sells quite well; it's the lack of a luxury sedan that hurts the brand.)

And here's a little history, on Acura's past success:
http://www.gothamcityinsider.com/200...are-sedan.html

"(in the 1980's...) Indeed, sales of BMW along with Mercedes-Benz and Audi soared as they captured the fancy of the growing number of Americans who could afford more upscale transportation. Japanese automakers, by then firmly entrenched in the U.S. marketplace, took note of the changing buying patterns and began developing vehicle for this new buyer group. However, they found, because they had come from more humble roots of small, inexpensive and, in some cases, spartan vehicles, they opted to form new nameplates with their own car lines and own dealerships to sell their new luxury cars.

Honda pioneered the way with Acura; Toyota launched Lexus and Nissan gave birth to Infiniti shortly thereafter. Initially, critics pooh-poohed the notion of Japanese luxury cars, a phrase no longer an oxymoron.

Almost overnight, Honda's new Acura nameplate became a success, quickly surpassing sales of Mercedes-Benz and BMW vehicles. In its first full year of sales in 1987, Acura had total sales of 109,000 cars. Of those, the flagship Acura Legend sedan accounted for 55,000 sales and the rest were of the smaller Integra, Honda’s insurance policy in case the Legend flopped.

By 1990, Acura was selling 138,000 vehicles, including 54,000 Legends. That same year, Mercedes sold 78,000 cars; BMW and Lexus each sold 64,000. Despite a strong start, Acura hit some bumps in the road. Toyota and Infiniti launched their own luxury marques, waking up German automakers, especially Mercedes-Benz, who countered in kind with new models and new pricing."

Gfaze 02-23-2008 02:24 AM

Step one to 1st tier luxury brand: Bring back the Legend, in it's own unique frame and body style as well as....

- RWD (w/optional SH-AWD)
- V8 powered putting out at least 300-325 HP
- 6 speed auto in the sedan and 6 speed manual trans. in the coupe
- premium soft leather seats (not the vinyl-feeling stuff they have now)
- a powerful and ear pleasing stereo system along with Navi (think Harmon/Kardon system in BMW's)
- 18" premium wheels standard
- Availability of many types of accessories such as spoiler, lip kits, custom trim packages, etc.

There's obviously more that can be added but I'm too tired to think of anymore right now.

It is my belief that something like this would place Acura back in the game it started in the late 80s/early 90s. :2cents:

phile 02-23-2008 09:31 PM

^ I don't know what the complaints about the RL's leather stem from. They're very comfortable, after walking around the auto show, I did not want to get out of it.

charliemike 02-23-2008 10:55 PM

You try getting two fat American adults and their fat kids in a Mazda3 :)

MeehowsBRZ 02-24-2008 01:05 AM

:pofl: i don't know why thats so funny because its the sad truth.

CGTSX2004 02-24-2008 01:19 AM

Tell them to put down the fucking burgers and fries...

Mokos23 02-25-2008 07:43 AM

Acura all talk, no substance.

MeehowsBRZ 02-25-2008 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mokos23
Acura all talk, no substance.

When you put it that way it makes it look like they're not even trying *looks at the new RL*, never mind.

GreenMonster 02-25-2008 10:38 AM

So when to you guys think we'll see this "huge shift" in what they are selling at the dealerships ??

2012, 2014, 2016 ??

mystikk 02-25-2008 10:59 AM

I think they'll hit rock-ass bottom when the new RL is released. 2015 before they start climbing anywhere again.