AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Acura: Development and Technology News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/acura-development-technology-news-396703/)

dom 02-25-2008 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
So when to you guys think we'll see this "huge shift" in what they are selling at the dealerships ??

2012, 2014, 2016 ??

When they stop basing everything they have off an Accord platform.

So never.

Mokos23 02-25-2008 11:27 AM

if anyone can make an "Acura: Regression" logo that would be cool!

BraveDemon 02-27-2008 01:30 PM

So when to you guys think we'll see this "huge shift" in what they are selling at the dealerships ??

2012, 2014, 2016 ??

When the NSX comes back into production!

So hopefully by 2012, but realistically never. :tomato:

Moog-Type-S 02-27-2008 01:38 PM

2012, 2014, 2016 ??

Never :shrug:

Acura going Tier One is a Pipe Dream

Fibonacci 02-28-2008 05:25 AM

Remarks by Takeo Fukui - Foreign Correspondents Club of Japan

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Acura going Tier One is a Pipe Dream

Here's the reason why...

.....According to a report by the New Energy Foundation, the proven petroleum reserves known to the world totals about 1 trillion barrels. To give you some perspective ... if we flip Mt. Fuji upside down like a small cup we use to drink sake ... the world's remaining petroleum would measure only one-eighth of the cup. That doesn't make for a very big party. I realize some people might say there is more oil to be found in the world. But there is no question that the supply ... no matter how large ... is limited. And global demand is accelerating at an incredible pace.

It is a global issue ... and every nation ... every company ... and every consumer ... must share the limited supply of petroleum by efficiently using what remains on this earth. We must take action now ... to address both resource sustainability and global warming. It should be the mission of all automakers to develop technologies to dramatically increase fuel efficiency.....
http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=745059

dom 02-28-2008 07:22 AM

Thats all fine and well for Honda.....But Acura is or at at least should be another story altogether.

Belzebutt 02-28-2008 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Fibonacci

Suddenly the 44 mpg standard in California doesn't seem like such a bad idea...

zeroday 02-28-2008 10:45 AM

acura= :blahblah:

they should really take some notes from hyundai.

Edward'TLS 02-28-2008 02:56 PM

Unfortunately, being a tier 1 luxury brand (amongst BMW, MB, Lexus) and being a leader in fuel economy goes in opposite directions. Unless, only the Honda division alone, and not the Acura division, continues to pursue the maximum fuel economy philosophy.

F23A4 03-01-2008 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Unfortunately, being a tier 1 luxury brand (amongst BMW, MB, Lexus) and being a leader in fuel economy goes in opposite directions. Unless, only the Honda division alone, and not the Acura division, continues to pursue the maximum fuel economy philosophy.

Thank you. :nod:

phile 03-01-2008 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS

At this rate they might as well. Acuras aren't as fuel efficient as Hondas anyway, since the lineup obviously consists of only 6 cylinders, a thirsty turbo 4-cylinder, and a so-so n/a 4-cylinder, while Honda's got the fuel sippers Fit and Civic to set the curve.

JediMindTricks 03-13-2008 03:15 PM

i dunno if my mind was playing tricks on me because i was pretty sleepy when i saw this.

but i saw a TL commercial the other day, and instead of "ACURA ADVANCE"...i thought i saw "ADVANCE ASAP"

did i really see this?

ASAP?!!?

Costco 03-13-2008 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
i dunno if my mind was playing tricks on me because i was pretty sleepy when i saw this.

but i saw a TL commercial the other day, and instead of "ACURA ADVANCE"...i thought i saw "ADVANCE ASAP"

did i really see this?

ASAP?!!?

:clpower:

pasa aruca :dunno:

I haven't seen anything like that

JediMindTricks 03-13-2008 03:24 PM

<---- :loco:

Moog-Type-S 03-13-2008 04:05 PM

did i really see this?

ASAP?!!?

Stop huff'in teh glue.

fsttyms1 03-13-2008 04:12 PM

did i really see this?

ASAP?!!?

Puff Puff Give.......... :clpower:

JediMindTricks 03-13-2008 04:55 PM

:doh:

wanna share?

charliemike 03-13-2008 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fibonacci

Seriously, this peak oil thing is hysteria.

Fibonacci 03-13-2008 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike
Seriously, this peak oil thing is hysteria.

:sure: Don't see you voicing your opinion here... :wish:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=328921&page=6

TSX69 04-30-2008 08:00 AM

Acura Backs CarFax Service Link Program

Acura to Report Service Info to CarFax; Encourages Dealer Participation

Automaker Backs Carfax Service Link Program, Encourages Dealer Participation

CENTREVILLE, Va., April 29 -- Carfax today announced that Acura has joined the Carfax Service Link program. Service and maintenance information will be reported to Carfax for vehicles serviced by Acura dealers participating in Carfax Service Link. The free program creates a virtual directory of trusted dealerships that new owners can bring their car back to for maintenance.

"The Carfax Service Link program gives further affirmation to our customers that they're purchasing a high-quality, well-maintained Acura vehicle," said Dan Crowe, Automobile Remarketing Manager for American Honda. "It's another value-add from Carfax that helps participating Acura dealers better meet customer needs and, ultimately, sell more vehicles."

Acura strongly encourages their dealers to participate in the Carfax Service Link program. More than 80 Acura locations already report their service information to Carfax. This free enhancement puts any participating dealership's name on the Carfax Report of each vehicle they service. Dealership contact information and a Web site link appears alongside each service record on Carfax Reports to help dealers retain these vehicles in their service cycle.

"In today's economy, it's important to take advantage of every opportunity to maximize your profitability," said Larry Gamache, communications director at Carfax. "People are more likely to have their cars serviced at a place that is already familiar with the vehicle. Participating dealers can advertise their service centers for free on Carfax Vehicle History Reports, bringing car owners back for future maintenance and ultimately increasing revenue for the dealership."

Carfax Service Link is a free program that's open to any dealership. For more information about Carfax Service Link, visit CARFAX

About Acura

Acura offers a full line of technologically advanced performance luxury vehicles through a network of 268 dealers within the United States. The 2008 Acura lineup features five distinctive models including the RL luxury performance sedan, the TL performance luxury sedan, the TSX sports sedan, the turbocharged RDX luxury crossover SUV and the award-winning MDX luxury sport utility vehicle.

For additional information about Acura vehicles, please visit ACURA.

Lister00169 04-30-2008 01:05 PM

How reliable is the information on Car Fax? I heard that some states don't require listing a car as totaled or any accidents if it is purchased from another state.

If that's true, then that reduces the value of a Car Fax report.

krio 08-04-2008 08:32 AM

Acura: Development news **Live Feed from 2012 NAIAS (page 33)**

Automotive news

Acura's aim of becoming a "Tier 1" luxury brand has been thwarted by a lineup that some view as nothing more than decked-out Hondas. Dan Bonawitz, Honda's vice president of corporate planning and logistics believes that broadening Acura's line of vehicles is the way to compete with Audi, BMW and Mercedes.

The first step is to introduce an all-new vehicle that will arrive before the new NSX in 2010. A coupe is a possibility, filling the gap left by the dearly departed RSX and older CL. A retractable hardtop could be part of the package, and there's also talk of a four-door "coupe" that could contend with the M-B CLS and Audi's upcoming A7.

Whatever it is, it needs to be packing more than a just a four-pot driving the front wheels. A serious competitor the 1-series would be a welcome addition to the Acura line, and would fulfill the automaker's previous claim of pursuing niches generally left unfilled by other luxury brands.

TSX69 08-04-2008 09:19 AM

New 4 Door Coupe Acura Model Coming b4 NSX
Posted: August 4th, 2008

“In the next year there will be a huge shift toward tier 1, and the dealer body is excited about that shift,” an Acura dealer said earlier this year. But what is Acura doing besides upgrading its current lineup and working hard on the next-generation Acura NSX? According to executives, Honda’s ‘luxury’ brand is working on a new nameplate that will join the lineup in 2010 and will help Acura reach that ‘tier 1 luxury brand’ segment.

“We will have an all-new vehicle,” said Dan Bonawitz, vice president for corporate planning and logistics at American Honda Motor Company.

Bonawitz didn’t give any details on the new model but said the the car will arrive before the new NSX which will debut in 2010.

Sources say that the new model will most-likely be a four-door-coupe that will compete with the Mercedes-Benz CL-Class. Pricing is expected to be in the $50,000 range and the car may also come in a convertible version.

The last new model for Acura was the RDX back in 2006.

krio 08-04-2008 09:20 AM

Acura plans to add an all-new model to its lineup by 2010 to help expand its limited lineup and realign itself with ‘tier 1‘ luxury brands such as its more established German rivals. This won’t be the NSX-replacement seen recently testing in prototype form as the new supercar isn’t due to hit showrooms until after 2010.

One of Acura’s key criticisms is its lack of a full model line and powerful RWD vehicles. Speaking with Automotive News, Acura’s vice-president for corporate planning and logistics, Dan Bonawitz, confirmed there would be an all-new model released in 2010.

The new car is likely to fit into the smaller segments in a nod to current fuel concerns, and according to Bonawitz “there is potential for a coupe like the previous CL (pictured)” - despite that model being discontinued after the 2003 model year.

The CL replaced the Acura Legend Coupe when it ceased production in 1995, but since its departure from the lineup Acura hasn’t had a mid-size coupe in its stable. Currently, Acura only has five vehicles but the addition of a supercar such as the NSX-replacement and a smaller, stylish coupe could have the potential to boost the brand’s image to compete with the likes of BMW, Lexus and Mercedes.

Sales for Acura last month dropped more than 14.8% on levels from a year ago, however this is in line with current market trends.

biker 08-04-2008 09:50 AM

Somehow that doesn't sound plausible to me - if this thing is supposed to be out before the NSX then that must next year as an MY10 car. With not even the hint of this car being remotely close to being done it doesn't seem possible. They'd have to have a fairly finished prototype by the early car show circuit in a few months - I just don't see it happening. Or maybe it's such a rush job it'll be some unfinished Frankenstein car that you'll definitely want to avoid the first eyar.

....and enough of this 4 door coupe crap - if it has 4 doors it's a sedan.

TSX69 08-04-2008 09:57 AM

I Agree, Biker

Note how there was no talk of anything revolutionary like v8 or RWD, this leads me to believe that it will be something relatively simple like a coupe version of the TL or RL.

Or they have had this model under some serious security ...

charliemike 08-04-2008 09:59 AM

It's an all new car*!

* Based on the 2009 Honda Accord

:tomato:

LuvMyTSX 08-04-2008 10:55 AM

:blahblah:

Just produce something already. We're waiting.....

phile 08-04-2008 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by charliemike
It's an all new car*!

* Based on the 2009 Honda Accord

:tomato:

:werd: + SH-AWD, because we spent so much damn money developing it while we prolonged working on a RWD platform, so dammit we're going to use it!

biker 08-04-2008 11:08 AM

While the platform and look may be new, you can bet the drivetrain will be lifted right from the RL. And with that 50K price point I can see this being the last year for this gen RL.

krio 08-04-2008 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by TSX69
Note how there was no talk of anything revolutionary like v8 or RWD, this leads me to believe that it will be something relatively simple like a coupe version of the TL or RL.

Or they have had this model under some serious security ...

100% agree.
The more probable is a coupe derived from the TSX or the TL (from the RL doesen't seems likely)...

Moog-Type-S 08-04-2008 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
:blahblah:

Just produce something already. We're waiting.....

:agree: ....but...........with the TSX TL RL...........I'm quite scared at what will be next :nervous:

Infamous425 08-04-2008 12:38 PM

so still no real coupe

krio 08-04-2008 03:52 PM

well, you now , the Merz CL is derived from the S series... but I think it's a REAL coupe', an amazing one... the G37 too from the sedan G35...
I couldn't see nothing bad in an Acura coupe' derived from the TL or TSX...

ostrich 08-04-2008 06:40 PM

Will the grille get even bigger than the humongous monstrosity that is the nose of the new TL???

Costco 08-04-2008 06:48 PM

Acura may as well be touting an upcoming mid-engined twin-turbo V12 RWD sports car with 700 horses for under $30,000 because no one's here's going to believe them anyway.

GreenMonster 08-04-2008 06:55 PM

Meh... I'll believe it when I see it...

GreenMonster 08-04-2008 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by biker
While the platform and look may be new, you can bet the drivetrain will be lifted right from the RL. And with that 50K price point I can see this being the last year for this gen RL.

:werd: I can see them coming with something based on the RL since they mentioned a 4 door "coupe" :rolleyes: Acura basically killed the RL when the announced the cheaper TL will be outfitted with sh-awd and a larger engine.

With the 128/135 already out and way under $50K and the even cheaper Genesis Coupe due out next year, Acura is going to have to work some magic to come out with an true competitor to the true coupes already out there... And if they are going after the G37 and 3 series, they'll need a miracle.

If it has the same styling DNA as the new TL and TSX, I don't know if it's gonna sell either...

We've heard about a "sub-nsx" years ago, but those rumors died out only to be replaced with rumors of a crossover vehicle...

SupaRookie 08-04-2008 07:22 PM

hopefully it will be drop dead gorgeous; they'll need it.

phile 08-04-2008 08:30 PM

With the 128/135 already out and way under $50K and the even cheaper Genesis Coupe due out next year, Acura is going to have to work some magic to come out with an true competitor to the true coupes already out there... And if they are going after the G37 and 3 series, they'll need a miracle.

:agree: And in the areas they lack, they need t make it up somewhere else. Obviously with no true RWD vehicle, there's no way they can compete. But at least make it desirable - give it styling, pay attention to the small details. Look at the jewel headlamps in the G35 sedan. Look at the LEDs popping up all over the newer Audis. It's about looking cool. I can't say the new TL or TSX have that. The RDX completely missed the boat when it could've had that. And the RL is just DOA.

I have no problem with the power plenum grille - but it's the lack of details that's killing it. The MDX grille was incredible - the dimples on that shield have never been seen before. It was such a bold statement. And yet, all the rest of the new Acuras get the big faux metal grille, and that's it. What happened?!