2005 Changes, worth the wait?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 08:55 PM
G35 Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Changes, worth the wait?

I am looking at purchasing a TSX auto w/nav sometime soon, but there are a few things that are holding me back. I was wondering if there is anything known about changes for model year 2005? I am looking for Memory seats like in the TL/CL since I share my cars with my wife. Also, are they planning on adding a power passenger seat in the near futire (not a deal breaker, but would be nice). It seems as though a lot of other cars offer these options, but I would prefer to have the TSX instead. Any insight would be appreciated.

Dennis
Old 01-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think they will add anything more then a color to the 2005 TSX. They might correct the rattles if they find it occuring on a high percentage of cars. The reason the TSX is 6K cheaper than the TL is because it has less features and a smaller engine. So I can't see them adding features to the TSX without raising the price.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:00 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I want is for them to address the rattles. I've been holding off buying a TSX first because I thought I wanted a TL (now I know the TSX fits me better), and now because of rattles. There's a good chance I'll pre-order a 2005 when it gets closer to time, and just keep my fingers crossed. I don't care if they add new features - the main thing is to address quality. To me anyway!
Old 01-23-2004, 04:42 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The rattle issue is being blown way out of proportion. Besides most of the rattle issues have solutions if you run a search.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:48 PM
Registered AssHat

They MAY also add XM Radio as standard equipment, but this is only a guess.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:04 PM
Pro

Yes, most of the rattles have solutions... but I'd rather not have to spend the time driving to the dealer to get things fixed. I want low-maintenance - it's one reason I'm buying an Acura.

"Blown out or proportion" is all relative :-) Really, what I take the poll on this site to mean is that you are almost guaranteed to have at least on rattle in the TSX, hopefully one they know how to fix. I wouldn't expect ALL of the rattles, though some lucky folks get that joy.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:11 PM
Racer

Originally posted by vitocorleone
Yes, most of the rattles have solutions... but I'd rather not have to spend the time driving to the dealer to get things fixed. I want low-maintenance - it's one reason I'm buying an Acura.

"Blown out or proportion" is all relative :-) Really, what I take the poll on this site to mean is that you are almost guaranteed to have at least on rattle in the TSX, hopefully one they know how to fix. I wouldn't expect ALL of the rattles, though some lucky folks get that joy.
There are many people on this board who have zero rattles. Not sure how you've construed what you've construed.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:22 AM
Banned

vito -- this car is so good, it would be a shame to deprive yourself for another year or more. Justin says a second TSX model is heading our way in 18 months, which means the 2006 model year. You really want to wait that long?
Old 01-24-2004, 12:32 AM
Intermediate

Vito mi pisano.........................I too am thinking of selling my 02 RSX type S next year and getting a TSX. But like you all of this rattle talk has got me crazy with worry and doubt...well...sorta.
One does not purchase a new car especially an Acura to have these minor annoyances and not so minor annoyances like we've heard of on this site. Good luck. Ciao.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:35 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
They MAY also add XM Radio as standard equipment, but this is only a guess.
I agree, this is about the only change (other than color) I can see them doing for the second year. I would imagine any more substantial changes (like memory seats or power passenger seat) won't come till the third or forth year.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:08 PM
Lost In Transmission

In reply to waiting for the a new 2005: Honda/Acura deal with production issues with cars throughout their lifespan - if something comes up, they fix it right away (they understand that its cheaper to do it this way, verse waiting till the next model year). They are also tweaking little things here and there (like the ignition light on the TSX). IMO, the best time to buy a TSX will be at the end of its yearly cycle, before they institute new changes (smaller design issues, adding whatever it is they decide to add) - because those will likely introduce a whole new list of small problems. I wonder how many of the people with rattles bought their cars before August/September of 04? Verse those with rattles that got them after that date?
Old 01-25-2004, 04:57 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

I'm going to try and hold out
Old 01-26-2004, 01:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by D_Nyholm
.... model year 2005? I am looking for Memory seats .....power passenger seat....
Don't hold your breath. There'll be little if any changes for MY2005. It's still a brand new car.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:00 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

There has been a factory repair issued for the JDM Accord (our TSX) so the new ones rolling off the line should have the door rattle fixed, as the TSX is most likely built alongside the JDM Accord. I can't say the same about the other rattles. My TSX however, is rattle free...even with a Pure Trance 2003 CD playing at level 6 bass and 55% volume. Pure stock stereo and speakers.

These guys are right, you are unlikely to see any major revisions which are usually done when the manufacturer sees a decline in sales and wants to spike interest in a model again before the new design is due out.

If you wait until MY2005 or whenever then you will be second guessing whether there will be even better changes come 2006 or 2007.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2004, 07:18 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

i'm hoping ATLEAST XM radio....
Old 01-26-2004, 11:13 PM
Racer

I would bet either one of the following:

1) no changes - the car is selling very well so why do anything?
2) add more colour possibilities. Europe > USA > Canada right now in colours, so maybe they'll add green (currently in Europe), dark blue (curently in Canada), meteor silver and gray (USA).

I expect no major changes for 2-3 years.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:06 PM
Helper monkey, eh?

I wouldn't expect any major changes anytime soon. Just look how long Acura stuck with basic design of the Integra or NSX without any significant changes. They aren't like Toyota, scrapping their old designs every couple of years.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:04 PM
Pro

Another thing to keep in mind is the TSX's positioning in the Acura lineup. It's meant to bridge the gap between the RSX and the TL, and occupies a fairly narrow slice of the price range. In Canada, the TL is only $6k more. Any substantial increase features (and therefore price) brings it closer to the TL, and it would lose sales to it if they were too close in price.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:16 PM
Advanced

May be, may be not. An M3 will bust the price range of the 530, but people buy it because of the performance features. Same thing with the M5 and the 745i. It's all about what a particular buyer wants in a car.

I bet you there are more than a few people who would buy a souped up TSX if it had all the performance features they wanted in a car.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:14 PM
Got Ramen?

i think XM radio will standard on the 05 TSX as the fully loaded Accords now come with it. i'd like to see the TSX with the new updated grille that the new TL and updated MDX has right now.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:54 AM
3rd Gear

I would get one right away if they add an AUX input option (without having to splice a bunch of separate adapters yourself). You can get one in a Mini Cooper, why not a TSX?
Old 02-03-2004, 09:00 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by acfanatic
I wouldn't expect any major changes anytime soon. Just look how long Acura stuck with basic design of the Integra or NSX without any significant changes. They aren't like Toyota, scrapping their old designs every couple of years.
It's possible that there might be mechanical tweeks. The first generation Integra underwent a significant retuning (much flatter torque curve with better low-end torque, along with gearing changes) fairly soon after its launch in 1986. I think these changes were for the 1988 model year, so that it might still be early to hope for much.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:43 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

If Acura waits to the fall -- when their other 05 models will debut -- then the TSX will be almost 1.5 years old so maybe we will see some small tweaks. At the very least I expect to see some more/different color combos.

I myself am really hoping they put a couple memory settings on the drivers seat. Doing that one small inexpensive change would solidify the 2005 TSX as my next new car -- else I will be taking another look at the Mazda 6 and looking into some new cars like the Subaru, etc.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:48 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Oh, it would also be nice if they lowered the ratio on 6th gear. I know this car is sporty, but who is looking for pull in sixth gear? I know how to downshift so make 6th gear a better cruising gear. It is really sad that the AT (with one less gear) gets better fuel economy than the 6MT on the highway!
Old 02-09-2004, 01:57 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by STL
Oh, it would also be nice if they lowered the ratio on 6th gear. I know this car is sporty, but who is looking for pull in sixth gear? I know how to downshift so make 6th gear a better cruising gear. It is really sad that the AT (with one less gear) gets better fuel economy than the 6MT on the highway!
oh dont get me started on the gearing thing IMO the gearing on the 6MT coudl be much improved. 1 - 2 are too far apart, and 6th is not tall enough as you mention. 2-5 should be shortened to narrow the gap from 1st, and then make 6th a pure cruising gear. The taller the better, because to be honest i usually cruise at 80mph anyways This would be a VERY useful change for 2005.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:03 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the affirmation. Now if only Honda/Acura would listen!
Old 02-11-2004, 04:23 PM
Pro

Not being a TSX owner I would say that they need to offer some stickier tires like those offered on the TL. The updated grill would be good along with the the bright chrome switched to brushed chrome. And one more thing, for the price and the simple fact that it is a member of a lux car company fogs should be standard.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:25 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by fdl
oh dont get me started on the gearing thing IMO the gearing on the 6MT coudl be much improved. 1 - 2 are too far apart, and 6th is not tall enough as you mention. 2-5 should be shortened to narrow the gap from 1st, and then make 6th a pure cruising gear. The taller the better, because to be honest i usually cruise at 80mph anyways This would be a VERY useful change for 2005.
Couple of comments:

I think you can only change 1-2 by making 1 taller (or changing the final drive gear and shorten 2). Otherwise, a 2-3 shift would be required before 60 mph, hurting 0-60 times. Not quite sure what effect a taller 1st alone would have, but I expect this would also hurt 0-60.

I actually like the overall gearing and would just space the ratios more evenly.

This is not a big deal, but a taller 6th will also reduce the top speed. There was already another discussion on this, and you already have to exceed the redline in 5th to get any acceleration in 6th. Even with the current gearing, a 5-6 shift at the redline results in the same top speed in both 5th and 6th gear.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:24 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by rb1
I think you can only change 1-2 by making 1 taller (or changing the final drive gear and shorten 2). Otherwise, a 2-3 shift would be required before 60 mph, hurting 0-60 times.
Well Honda made the same type of gearing change to the S2000 to make it more drivable. Why not on the TSX?

Originally posted by rb1
This is not a big deal, but a taller 6th will also reduce the top speed.
Okay, but are you really that concerned with losing a few mph of top speed?

Originally posted by rb1
There was already another discussion on this, and you already have to exceed the redline in 5th to get any acceleration in 6th.
Exactly, I want 6th gear to be a cruising gear! If need some acceleration I'll drop down into 4th or 5th. I wonder what 5th is like the the ATs -- I bet you don't get any acceleration in it either. The MTs have one more gear to work with yet no pure cruising gear? That's stupid if you ask me.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by rb1
....you already have to exceed the redline in 5th to get any acceleration in 6th. Even with the current gearing, a 5-6 shift at the redline results in the same top speed in both 5th and 6th gear.
Is that so wrong? Who really cares about top speed anyway? How many times in our car's whole life do we probe it's absolute top speed? Personally, I've never even redlined 4th gear. Top gear cruising is much more useful and relevant. I'll take the taller 6th, please.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:33 PM
4dr & I like it that way

wouldnt a taller 6th gear increase top speed? if it takes less rpm's for a given speed that should mean the car would be able to hit a higher final speed with the same redline. now granted the enigne might not have enough power to make it to the higher final speed in a taller gear, so add more power while you're at it too
Old 02-13-2004, 01:05 PM
Registered AssHat

I'll take the shorter 6th thank you. There is just enough power there to get up hills, etc while in cruise.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:52 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Good grief, people! Read what I said:

This is not a big deal, but a taller 6th will also reduce the top speed...
I was just pointing it out.

At any rate, as someone considering a TSX purchase, I think the 6th gear is just fine and I'd be less likely to get one if they make it taller. If you guys get your wish, the car won't be able to easily hold speed on grades in 6th gear with the cruise control on. I can't think of anything worse than having to downshift just so I can maintain a steady speed up hill when cruising.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:55 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by STL
I wonder what 5th is like the the ATs -- I bet you don't get any acceleration in it either.
Yup, I get nothing in 5th, the car barely moves, seriously. Fortunately thats only problem when using the sportshift. A quick tap down and your off. And obviously thats not a problem when in Automatic.

Oh how a long for a Manual transmission :'( I even miss my 5 speed Civic.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:19 PM
bleh...

Originally posted by domn
Yup, I get nothing in 5th, the car barely moves, seriously. Fortunately thats only problem when using the sportshift. A quick tap down and your off. And obviously thats not a problem when in Automatic.

Oh how a long for a Manual transmission :'( I even miss my 5 speed Civic.
Domn, showing buyers remorse?
Old 02-15-2004, 01:43 AM
Pro

Originally posted by domn
Yup, I get nothing in 5th, the car barely moves, seriously.
That's strange. Over 70km/h, 5th provides ok acceleration for me. I define that as being typical passing maneuvers on 400-series highways between 70-140 km/h, using one quarter to half throttle. I only downshift if I need to merge quicker than usual into a faster lane. (I use SS almost all the time).
Old 02-15-2004, 11:27 PM
Racer

hey guys i went to acura today and test drve a tsx there wasnt any ratlles only prob is thats its a slug ... now the salesman told me that there will be no A-SPEC on the tsx but i saw ti in the tl that i saw there now i am curious is this true that there is no aspec or do u think he was just sayin that so i bought a car today ??

please reply thnx guys
Old 02-18-2004, 10:11 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

ravingstylez,
If you think the TSX is a slug, then don't bother waiting for an A-spec (if there ever is one). The A-spec on the TL only adds a body kit and upgraded handling components -- but no more power.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

i've decided to wait for a turbo AWD version. Made a promise to myself that the next car would be AWD or RWD. Hope acura does the right thing
Old 02-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Zapata
i've decided to wait for a turbo AWD version.....Hope acura does the right thing
Say hello to the Subaru dealer for me!

Quick Reply: 2005 Changes, worth the wait?